Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Europe: The final countdown, Sixteen days to go

SystemSystem Posts: 11,705
edited June 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Europe: The final countdown, Sixteen days to go

Latest Betfair odds. Nearly £21 million matched so far this could be the biggest event in political betting history pic.twitter.com/IlPAYfGpJA

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    First? :)
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Brilliant header
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,324
    FPT!

viewcode said:

Wanderer said:

Scott_P said:

This might upset a few people...

@JoeWatts_: @DanHannanMEP says if it's a very tight win for #Leave there will have to be a middle way found between #Remain and full #Brexit

Hmm. If Hannan has said that I don't think he's just being nice to Remainers. He must either think Leave will win comfortably (and he wants to sound statesmanlike in the meantime) or he thinks it will be very close either way and wants to put pressure on Remain to make an equivalent commitment.
    Or he has always been in favour of full freedom of movement and is using "controlled migration" as a cloak to disguise what he really thinks and gain the votes of antiimmigrationists. See also BoJo (and come to think of it, Gove?)
    You beat me to it! It's obvious that the euro-sceptic Tories have a plan, and it involves moving the Kippers on to the anti-immigration fringe. It's straight out of the New Labour playbook, and it is Gove, of course, who refers to Blair as 'the Master'.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,594
    And before anyone complains, I know Europe doesn't equal the EU, but take it up with the band Europe, they should have named themselves The European Union, not just plain Europe.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
  • Options

And before anyone complains, I know Europe doesn't equal the EU, but take it up with the band Europe, they should have named themselves The European Union, not just plain Europe.

How about "The Single Market"? :D
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,956
    edited June 2016
    If Remain had their head screwed on, we'd be seeing a lot less of Cameron and a lot more of Clegg and his wife in these final 16 days.
  • Options
    Hannan won't be speaking off his own bat. I wonder if Boris, Gove, Cameron and Osborne are already in talks - once Leave has won we'll all agree on EU-membership Lite so Dave can save face and economic turmoil won't blight Boris's first term. They're cunning old buggers these Tories!
  • Options

Hannan won't be speaking off his own bat. I wonder if Boris, Gove, Cameron and Osborne are already in talks - once Leave has won we'll all agree on EU-membership Lite so Dave can save face and economic turmoil won't blight Boris's first term. They're cunning old buggers these Tories!

There is literally no way for Dave to save face.

He has lost whether we Remain or Leave. He ceased to be useful when his personal poll ratings plumbed new depths.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,207
    FPT
    Indigo said:

No it won't, all he got them to agree to was to let the UK prorate the benefit according to the cost of living in the country the kid is living in. Bureaucratic nightmare or what, it would have to be calculated for each country where someone is sending benefit to a child, and constantly updated, not only that in some of the countries we would have to pay more rather than less.

Ah, that's right, it will probably cost more to implement than it will save.
    Scott_P said:

This might upset a few people...

@JoeWatts_: @DanHannanMEP says if it's a very tight win for #Leave there will have to be a middle way found between #Remain and full #Brexit

I don't get what the margin of victory has to do with it. At the end of the day we are voting on whether or not to remain in the EU. What leave actually looks like is up to our elected politicians.

If the voters don't like what they do between now and the next election then they can kick them out.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Mortimer said:

If Remain had their head screwed on, we'd be seeing a lot less of Cameron and a lot more of Clegg and his wife in these final 16 days.

Is this sarcasm? :D
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505
    RobD said:

Interestingly, a facebook acquaintance was yesterday encouraging people to come up with Brexit-themed songs. The one which immediately sprang to mind was 'The Final Countdown', which I didn't submit because, on reflection, it didn't appear particularly relevant, and then I couldn't work out why I'd thought of it. Only now you point out who wrote the song do I realise what my brain was doing.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Nick who?
  • Options
    Good grief.

Unilever CEO talks about the tariffs on ice-cream. This is DESPERATE.

Someone tell him that there are no tarrifs on goods across Europe between Iceland and Yugoslavia.....
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,715
    Mortimer said:

tim would be happy.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807
    Mortimer said:

Just his wife will do.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Mortimer said:

Is this sarcasm? :D
    I'm deadly serious. Especially Miriam - she was very good on C4 news.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Mortimer said:

Good grief.

Someone tell him that there are no tarrifs on goods across Europe between Iceland and Yugoslavia.....

Yugoslavia?! That hasn't existed in a decade.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Good grief.

Typical Leaver, always living in the past.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Good grief.

Yes yes, but you know where I mean don't you...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Jobabob said:

Mortimer said:

Just his wife will do.
    Perhaps a debate with Kirsten Farage?

• Options
    RobD said:

'Ever Closer Union' would be a great name for a band.
  • Options

RobD said:

Sounds more like a twee sitcom.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Independent: Billions of pounds aer being taken out of the British economy as investors fear Brexit https://t.co/wf9RHFw3B1
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

RobD said:

"Ever Decreasing Liberty"

• Options

RobD said:

"Ever Decreasing Liberty"

One for the Leavers - "Referendum Lock"
  • Options
    kjohnw said:
    Microsoft facebook and twitter are not internet providers they are site provifers just like OGH is with this site.

Removing things that the authorities dont like within 24 hours is as futile as trying to stop people posting about superinjunctions on those sites.

It will just go viral and be reposted and retweeted and published on sites like Guidos with serveds outside the EU who dont give a 4X what EU censors think
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Independent: Billions of pounds aer being taken out of the British economy as investors fear Brexit https://t.co/wf9RHFw3B1

Not worth the paper its written on.

Oh, wait....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

He has lost whether we Remain or Leave. He ceased to be useful when his personal poll ratings plumbed new depths.
    Well, Dave's reputation wasn't really my point. More interesting is that tonight we've got the most vocable Tory eurosceptics on the planet explicitly talking about fudge and compromise with Remain should Leave win. There's some skulduggery afoot!
  • Options
    Trying to get my head around Hannan's bizarre intervention.

Clearly he is the thinking man's eurosceptic so one would be foolish to give some credence to his views.

Message seems to be Vote Leave get Remain. Could be effective.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,996
    Mortimer said:

Weirdly, Cameron does have an escape route, and Gove's given it to him!

IF LEAVE wins
    AND Cameron executes Article 50 almost immediately
    AND Cameron goes to the commons and gets a HOC vote that Cameron's government will lead the negotiations to exit EU and take UK into EEA
    AND makes that vote a confidence motion
    AND he wins...

...then he's won! A brand new mandate, a legitimate position ("..It's the next best thing..."), he royally f***s Gove, and gets a thirteenth regeneration. OK, not that last bit... :)
  • Options
    Off topic - so we have Arsenal chasing Vardy and Man City chasing Stones. Hope they can keep their focus on the job in hand.
  • Options
    @AdamBienkov: Undecided referendum voters tend to be pro-Conservative and anti-Farage.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/media/2016/06/how-important-are-tv-debates-deciding-eu-referendum
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

See previous thread for my explanation.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Mortimer said:

Weirdly, Cameron does have an escape route, and Gove's given it to him!

IF LEAVE wins
    AND Cameron executes Article 50 almost immediately
    AND Cameron goes to the commons and gets a HOC vote that Cameron's government will lead the negotiations to exit EU and take UK into EEA
    AND makes that vote a confidence motion
    AND he wins...

...then he's won! A brand new mandate, a legitimate position ("..It's the next best thing..."), he royally f***s Gove, and gets a thirteenth regeneration. OK, not that last bit... :)
    Would hate to be Graham Brady's postman in that unlikely event...
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Clearly he is the thinking man's eurosceptic so one would be foolish to give some credence to his views.

Not to give credence I mean

• Options
    Anyhoo, gotta go. Laters, alligators
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Re Hannan, surely the first question is whether he will repudiate this statement that is attributed to him. I would have expected him to do so by now though. But maybe he's stuck in a tunnel.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Well, Dave's reputation wasn't really my point. More interesting is that tonight we've got the most vocable Tory eurosceptics on the planet explicitly talking about fudge and compromise with Remain should Leave win. There's some skulduggery afoot!
    That is a great point.
    Hmm.
    What is going on?
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Jobabob said:

Well, IIRC, @NickPalmer was saying on here recently that in countries where referendums are used a lot, a very close result does bring concessions to the losing side, which seems fairly sensible. Maybe Mr Hannan is thinking along those lines.

Obviously, the main point (Remain/Leave) can't be conceded, but if the country is really evenly split, it is silly to say (as the EU undoubtedly will if its Remain) that it means a 100% endorsement of the winning side.
  • Options
    Go Dave.

(Crikey hasn't the world changed)
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

My guess is that they've identified uncertainty as a massive Leave weak-spot, so are now going to push 'nothing much'll change folks', 'back to the negotiating table', 'it'll all come out in the wash'. In two years' time we'll all be here discussing the merit's of PM Boris's 'deal'.
  • Options
    BenedictWhiteBenedictWhite Posts: 1,944

Mortimer said:

Good grief.

Yes, that was a country stitched together by elites. That went well didn't it?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Hasn't shown up in the £$ rate or the £/Euro rate. I've been watching both for years. Just the usual noise.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Gove talked in his Sky interview about the economic plan being unveiled this week.

It stands to reason that a transitional plan would be part of that, in my view.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited June 2016

Jobabob said:

My guess is that they've identified uncertainty as a massive Leave weak-spot, so are now going to push 'nothing much'll change folks', 'back to the negotiating table', 'it'll all come out in the wash'. In two years' time we'll all be here discussing the merit's of PM Boris's 'deal'.
    Which makes you wonder if Astors intervention was part of it, which makes you wonder about the conspiracy theory that Dave is a secret leaver...
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Good grief.

Well, this country was stitched together by elites.

Can you think of a country that wasn't?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

If it's 50/50 and mine is the casting vote, some fudge would be required.

If it's 55/45 less so and so on and so forth.

What we are seeing though, is the whites of their eyes.

Fun, no?
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,664
    edited June 2016
    FPT @ viewcode/wanderer "Eh? Both sides have the same capabilities. They would both be the British Government after the vote.

If what he means is that a 51/49 Leave win should mean EEA then he can reasonably argue that a 51/49 Remain win should too and press Cameron to sign up to that.

To understand Hannan's response you must understand what he wants. I know many here admire Hannan (I don't), and if memory serves I think some have met him (Casino Royale?) so in deference to their feelings I won't bang on. If you want to find out why I think Hannan said what he said, see below."

Hannan wants EFTA. He doesn't have a problem with free movement of workers and supports taking higher numbers of refugees and immigrants in general.

However, he concedes that immigration would have broader support if we had sovereign control over numbers and terms.

I know, because he told me.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Mortimer said:

Good grief.

And all planning (bar Kosova) to join back up within the EU. Its not just us doing the hokey-cokey!
  • Options
    edited June 2016

if memory serves I think some have met him (Casino Royale?) so in deference to their feelings I won't bang on. If you want to find out why I think Hannan said what he said, see below.

We have a bad case of split personality posting going on here...
  • Options

if memory serves I think some have met him (Casino Royale?) so in deference to their feelings I won't bang on. If you want to find out why I think Hannan said what he said, see below.

Bad quoting! FPT :-)
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Mortimer said:

Good grief.

Good question. It at least had some common ground and shared history though.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

Eh? Both sides have the same capabilities. They would both be the British Government after the vote.

If what he means is that a 51/49 Leave win should mean EEA then he can reasonably argue that a 51/49 Remain win should too and press Cameron to sign up to that.

To understand Hannan's response you must understand what he wants. I know many here admire Hannan (I don't), and if memory serves I think some have met him (Casino Royale?) so in deference to their feelings I won't bang on. If you want to find out why I think Hannan said what he said, see below.

Hannan wants EFTA. He doesn't have a problem with free movement of workers and supports taking higher numbers of refugees and immigrants in general.

However, he concedes that immigration would have broader support if we had sovereign control over numbers and terms.

Why did you name yourself in your own post when speculating about posters who've possibly met Dan Hannan? Bit odd. Hope there's no multiple-identity thing going on here and you used the wrong login!
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    Wanderer said:

Mortimer said:

Good grief.

Thought you were leaving. Glad you haven't!

Welcome back!
  • Options
    I am very nervous about Farage.
  • Options
    And so it begins, it'll become a stampede

https://twitter.com/benchmarkpol/status/740269903945469952
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    I hope voters in California vote judge Aaron Persky OUT of office today.

http://fortune.com/2016/06/06/stanford-swimmer-assault/
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Completely off topic:

Anyone fancy a PB fantasy football league for the Euros?

If so, what is the best site?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Good grief.

And all planning (bar Kosova) to join back up within the EU. Its not just us doing the hokey-cokey!
    Yes but swapping being dominated by Serbs (led by 1 Croat) for being dominated by the Germans...
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Dan Hannan is an EEA guy. He supports movement of people.
  • Options

FPT @ viewcode/wanderer "Eh? Both sides have the same capabilities. They would both be the British Government after the vote.

To understand Hannan's response you must understand what he wants. I know many here admire Hannan (I don't), and if memory serves I think some have met him (Casino Royale?) so in deference to their feelings I won't bang on. If you want to find out why I think Hannan said what he said, see below."

I haven't met Hannan but my view of him is that, although he is "merely" an MEP, he is a major figure on the Leave side. So I am applying the Metternich "What did he mean by that?" to him.

But I realise it's possible that he's just saying what's in his head.
  • Options

Trump is toast walking. I said it long ago. Even when RodCrosby (disappeared) insisted otherwise.
  • Options
    edited June 2016

To understand Hannan's response you must understand what he wants.

Could it be the following:

- His assumption was that Remain would win
    - He wanted to make the result as close as possible and use it to argue that the status quo wouldn't wash and push for EEA
    - It's started to look like Leave could actually win outright which would throw a spanner in the works of this plan
    - He's back-peddling
  • Options
    That was really quite a good first answer.
  • Options

No one craves another multiple screen names controversy.

The Last Boy Scout would be turning in his tent.
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Trump is toast walking. I said it long ago. Even when RodCrosby (disappeared) insisted otherwise.
    In view of how western countries like UK are revolting against theiir elites in the ballot box at the moment Im not sure that this will have any more effect than Lord Heseltine saying he is voting remain.
  • Options
    I thought it was no responses from the audience?
  • Options
    This questioner has had his shredded wheat.
  • Options
    PeterC said:

Wanderer said:

Mortimer said:

Good grief.

Thought you were leaving. Glad you haven't!

Welcome back!
    Thank you.

I said I was probably going to leave and I probably am. I waste too much time here really.
  • Options
    How much respect does the public have for pharmaceuticals, I wonder? More or less than bankers?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

That was really quite a good first answer.

It was.

Trouble is, will anyone listen to his answers?

And I think quite a few questioners in the audience just want to attack him.
  • Options
    Nigel needs to keep the good humour - the first answer was good, the second questioner rattled him I think.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Jobabob said:

No one craves another multiple screen names controversy.

The Last Boy Scout would be turning in his tent.
    Was it ever determined if Tim and compouter were the same person?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Just in case people are wondering what is happening in America - Trump continues to get the worst possible options on his Trump University scam court case, keep it in the news cycle and get a swathe of Republicans who have endorsed him to openly call his statements racist.

Just in case you are wondering why his price is drifting.

• Options
    Very good sir.
  • Options
    Good response on Juncker. Got a hit in there.
  • Options
    The danger is that Farage does too well. No one likes a smart arse.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,618
    My reading of the latest YouGov polling is different to that.

In response to the question "Thinking about the current debate over Britain’s membership of the European Union and the referendum, how much do you trust the statements and claims made by the following people?", the "Don't Knows" broke as follows:
    - Cameron: Trust 15 Do Not Trust 60
    - Farage: Trust 14, Do Not Trust 56
    If we're splitting hairs, they are very marginally less likely to trust Cameron than Farage. That doesn't suggest to me that Cameron is going to be any more persuasive.

The more telling statistic is this: only 36% of undecideds are certain to vote. So in practice most won't (unless you believe that overall turnout will be well above 67%, the % of the overall YouGov sample who declared themselves certain to vote). I think that shifts in opinion amongst those already declared for one camp or the other are more important. (i.e. people shifting from Leave or Remain to undecided).
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

How much respect does the public have for pharmaceuticals, I wonder? More or less than bankers?

I believe one of the big bangs Remain will deploy in the next 15 days, will be the NHS staff, and the medical industry will be coming out for Remain, very heavily.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,020

Eh? Both sides have the same capabilities. They would both be the British Government after the vote.

To understand Hannan's response you must understand what he wants. I know many here admire Hannan (I don't), and if memory serves I think some have met him (Casino Royale?) so in deference to their feelings I won't bang on. If you want to find out why I think Hannan said what he said, see below.

Why did you name yourself in your own post when speculating about posters who've possibly met Dan Hannan? Bit odd. Hope there's no multiple-identity thing going on here and you used the wrong login!
    He didn't. It was Viewcode who mentioned him. And one thing you can be sure of is he isn't Casino given he is on the other side of the argument. I think you are having nesting issues.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited June 2016

Cripes, I've got 50 quid on trump I intended to trade out after the convention bounce but I might take my break even point now an be done with it.
  • Options
    Farage has caught the dreadful "you-know-what-itis"

Ugh!
  • Options
    Oh dear... Farage got the tone all wrong there. "We're British! We're not going to be bullied by Juncker."
  • Options
    This is a much better informed audience than any QT audience I've ever seen. Kudos to ITV
  • Options
    Posho in the audience wanting to keep wages down.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    Mortimer said:

Nigel needs to keep the good humour - the first answer was good, the second questioner rattled him I think.

It's an argument I've never heard before.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Farage playing a solid game so far. His aim must be to Not Fuck Up. Wield a straight bat. Defend the wicket. Geoff Boycott on a summer afternoon at Lords scoring one run an hour.

Yes! I was hoping Sean would be on here for this.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    "We're not going to be bullied by the unelected" got the best response so far.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    The audience making a plea for cheap labour.
  • Options
    I've met @CasinoRoyale. And a thoroughly decent chap he is too.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Posho in the audience wanting to keep wages down.

It is hilarious isn't it.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    Oooh, telling her to calm down is not a good look.
  • Options
    Farage getting too tetchy.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Calm down dear...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    edited June 2016
    Betfair rock solid - not moving a muscle.

In 1.38
    Out 3.6
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tlg86 said:

how about pharmaceutical bankers like me?
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    SeanT said:

It's pretty clear Hannan is pointing to EEA or EFTA.

Noises off.

What a dangerous game. I admire Hannan, but Leave have set their stall out: a cut in immigration to the tens of thousands.
  • Options
    Good level headed criticism of Arch Bish.
This discussion has been closed.