Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In a week dominated by the EU UKIP’s Douglas Carswell is th

123457»

Comments

• Options

I heard that exchange too, resort of the scoundrel.

I have just started to watch the Tony Hall live interviews and when a journalist "Neil Midgeley" asked him.
    Qn - I understand that you have not personally sacked a person for bullying or intimidation, why not?
    Hall waffled on about how there were fewer bullying allegations in 14/15 than 13/14. The journalist repeated the question.
    Hall offered to go through later, all the last year's cases and then said "does your organisation have less bullying" or words to that effect.

I personally think it is a shame that Jeremy Clarkson wasn't prosecuted for assaulting his producer.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    He got £100k instead. Well worth being called Irish and a single punch.

I'd volunteer for that deal.

I have just started to watch the Tony Hall live interviews and when a journalist "Neil Midgeley" asked him.
    Qn - I understand that you have not personally sacked a person for bullying or intimidation, why not?
    Hall waffled on about how there were fewer bullying allegations in 14/15 than 13/14. The journalist repeated the question.
    Hall offered to go through later, all the last year's cases and then said "does your organisation have less bullying" or words to that effect.

I personally think it is a shame that Jeremy Clarkson wasn't prosecuted for assaulting his producer.
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Wow. Employment rate of Somali women is just 10%!!

Is the male rate that much higher?
    Male rate for Somalis is 40%, so four times higher, similar to Iranian men. But Iranian women are higher - 49%!!
    So still piss poor basically.
    What on earth are they doing here ?

Adding to the cultural gaiety of the nation ??
    At least the polish builders & plumbers fix up your kitchen and bathroom.
    Refugees innit?

Ooh la lala

Who is going to drive looky looky north London minicabs and chew chat if these boys aren't here? Not our feckless yoof
    If you look at figure 68 here, you will see the largest rates of housing benefit seem to be from refugee popularions.

www.migrationwatchuk.org/briefing-paper/367

I suspect that you wouldn't be as good a worker if you and your family had just come through a warzone either.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047

Mr. Jonathan, no, but there may be fewer colds ;)

Hope your pestilence abates promptly.

It’ll be cold and unwelcoming outside, so there’ll be more!
  • Options

I imagine the compensation was more from lost earnings for it affecting his career.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited February 2016

Jonathan said:

off topic...

I had flu last week and now have a cold. I am thoroughly pissed off.

Will there be less colds outside the EU? If Boris can co can promise me that I might switch.

Use a probiotic. You'll get less colds.

Oops, just seen Morris_Dancers' post, FEWER colds, naughty me.
    Deleted
  • Options
    How much do you think he was paid?!

I imagine the compensation was more from lost earnings for it affecting his career.
  • Options

He could have sued as well. Personally I think there is a public interest in demonstrating that Clarkson lives under the same laws as I do and I think Tymon had a public duty to press charges, which he failed. If the £100k was a bribe to not bring charges, then I am sure that is illegal.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    edited February 2016

I signed on for a month a couple of years ago, and the JSA chap was gobsmacked at my efforts to find work. I didn't think it was extraordinary.

Then again, I actually wanted to get a job.

Link to this evidence?

justin124 said:

TGOHF said:

National Day of Action against benefit sanctions on 9th March.I hope Pbers will join their local actions.

What are "benefit sanctions" ?

When you have your benefits reduced because of any one of a number of transgressions, for example, not taking a job when offered
    Also when Jobcentre staff decide to change the date or time a claimant is required to sign on. The claimant is sent a letter but if he fails to receive it in time and does not appear at the new time he/she is sanctioned. There has been clear evidence of managers doing this quite deliberately to meet targets imposed on them.
    I'm currently claiming JSA.
    When signing on they tell you what time to sign on in a fortnights time.
    Most claimants are never sanctioned - but a significant number of those who have received them are the victims of admin cock ups within the DWP itself over which the claimant has no control whatsoever.Over a period of weeks such sanctions may be removed , but by that time will have caused great distress to people who are often very vulnerable. Beyond that there is no doubt that staff who have not imposed sufficient sanctions over a period face pressure from their managers.
  • Options

Mr. Jonathan, no, but there may be fewer colds ;)

Hope your pestilence abates promptly.

It’ll be cold and unwelcoming outside, so there’ll be more!
    Cold weather doesn't cause colds, viruses do. It is quite likely that the prevalence of winter colds is actually caused by staying indoors more, with other people who have colds
  • Options
  • Options
    Good to see how little faith the public have in politicians and officials on both sides of the channel.
  • Options
    @TSE - very interesting.

There appear to be a large number of people who have no time for the EU at all, and no confidence in it, but are still voting Remain in despair.

Vote Leave need to target these people. Hard.
  • Options
    Liberty Rebel
    Smart move having Adam Afriyie on #bbcdp to advocate stronger migration control policy.
    Poor Chuka can’t play “raaacisst!” card in response
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474

£40-45K at a guess. Maybe less.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    http://www.suellafernandes.co.uk/news/why-i-will-be-voting-leave-eu

I'm pleased to see that Suella Fernandes (one of the nicest people in politics) is backing Leave.
  • Options

@TSE - very interesting.

There appear to be a large number of people who have no time for the EU at all, and no confidence in it, but are still voting Remain in despair.

The question Leave need to ask themselves is why they are still less appealing than Remain. That will involve some searching examination in the mirror. To date, Leave has shown not the slightest inclination to carry out such an examination.
  • Options

Link to this evidence?

justin124 said:

TGOHF said:

National Day of Action against benefit sanctions on 9th March.I hope Pbers will join their local actions.

When you have your benefits reduced because of any one of a number of transgressions, for example, not taking a job when offered
    Also when Jobcentre staff decide to change the date or time a claimant is required to sign on. The claimant is sent a letter but if he fails to receive it in time and does not appear at the new time he/she is sanctioned. There has been clear evidence of managers doing this quite deliberately to meet targets imposed on them.

Lucky you. When my son was unemployed after leaving university he did not get a penny in benefits as his then girlfriend was working part time and the pair of them were deemed to have enough to live on. It's not like my day, I can tell you. The regime has got much, much stricter since the late 80s and early 90s.

• Options
    Immigrants with AIDS?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited February 2016
    So the public doesn't trust the EU, doesn't think anything of their politicians, don't think we got a good deal, but still will back In.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    edited February 2016

@TSE - very interesting.

If we're being pedantic today that should be "there appears to be", "number" being a singular noun.

On the few/less issue, I believe it is a fairly recent distinction and Byron, for example, tended to use them interchangeably.
  • Options

Immigrants with AIDS?
    Dave? Why would he do that?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    watford30 said:

SandraM said:

Re: Savile. The Journalist Lynn Barbour put it to Savile in an interview published in 1990 that there were persistent rumours that he was sexually interested in little girls. Of course he denied it.

Given that rumours had appeared in print, why didn't senior management insist that children were chaperoned when anywhere near him?

Louis Theroux....
    Much of the stuff about Saville that turned out to be true was on the Popbitch website over a decade ago. Enough people clearly knew, yet nothing happened.
    I was told about Savile by a senior BBC "talent" 17 years ago....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    Post-deal, then, we have five polls.

Survation (phone) Leave 33%, Remain 48%.
    Com Res (phone) Leave 39% Remain 51%
    Yougov (online, change in methodology) Leave 38%, Remain 37%.
    ICM (online) Leave 40%, Remain 42%
    BMG (online) Leave 41%, Remain 44%.

I'm starting to think that the renegotiation hasn't made much difference either way.
  • Options

So the public doesn't trust the EU, doesn't think anything of their politicians, don't think we got a good deal, but still will back In.
    Indeed. – Leave will struggle to shift opinion when the majority appear to simply not care.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited February 2016
    Miss Flounders also told the jury about Johnson's infidelities, telling the court there had been 'quite a few' other women.

The court was told how Miss Flounders had been in Twitter contact with Johnson's victim, whom she recognised as one of the people who waited for Johnson after home games.

She said she even wished the teenager a happy birthday on Twitter in 2014, only a week or so before he was reported to police.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3463609/Adam-Johnson-s-girlfriend-Stacey-Flounders-takes-stand-evidence-behalf-child-sex-trial.html
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,846
    Slightly off topic, can't find a clear current status on Google over how Swiss efforts to restrict free-movement are going, just snippets that don't give a full picture:

https://www.eda.admin.ch/missions/mission-eu-brussels/en/home/key-issues/free-movement-persons.html

Other than the above, which doesn't give a totally up to date picture, I've seen something about a 2017 deadline on the current bilateral deals, and something about EU early in 2015 not wanting to enter negotiation on free-movement.

Are Switzerland likely to withdraw from EFTA and renegotiate static trade deals?

Any relevance to the options Britain are likely to have post any Brexit?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Just found this from election night thread:

"SeanT said:
    It is now possible to envisage the entire extinction of Labour, outside London.

Already dead in Scotland, UKIP harrying them in northern England, PC posed in Wales.

This is how a great party dies, by electing a quasi-Marxist North London dickhead as leader, then building an Obelisk."

Now that Labour has a fully blown Marxist North London dickhead as a leader, what does Corbyn need to build to keep up - a pyramid?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Post-deal, then, we have five polls.

Survation (phone) Leave 33%, Remain 48%.
    Com Res (phone) Leave 39% Remain 51%
    Yougov (online, change in methodology) Leave 38%, Remain 37%.
    ICM (online) Leave 40%, Remain 42%
    BMG (online) Leave 41%, Remain 44%.

I'm starting to think that the renegotiation hasn't made much difference either way.

Which is what the BMG poll that TSE posted basically says.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,563
    edited February 2016

I think it is effect David Cameron effect.

He can sell most things, people like and trust him.

Leave just don't have anyone to take him on that front.

It's the economy, stupid.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    edited February 2016
    watford30 said:

£40-45K at a guess. Maybe less.
    I'm working out how I can break my wrist outside a gastro pub.

Then claim it has "ruined my life"
  • Options

@TSE - very interesting.

The question Leave need to ask themselves is why they are still less appealing than Remain. That will involve some searching examination in the mirror. To date, Leave has shown not the slightest inclination to carry out such an examination.
    I am writing to Vote Leave at the weekend. You might now not want to help, given your position, but if you do, I would welcome your thoughts.
  • Options

Liberty Rebel
    Smart move having Adam Afriyie on #bbcdp to advocate stronger migration control policy.
    Poor Chuka can’t play “raaacisst!” card in response

A lot of the strongest opinions against immigration I have heard are from people who are themselves immigrants or the children of immigrants. They might not be opposed to immigrants per se but are opposed to people who come here, won't integrate, claim benefits rather than working hard, etc.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Pro_Rata said:

Slightly off topic, can't find a clear current status on Google over how Swiss efforts to restrict free-movement are going, just snippets that don't give a full picture:

https://www.eda.admin.ch/missions/mission-eu-brussels/en/home/key-issues/free-movement-persons.html

Other than the above, which doesn't give a totally up to date picture, I've seen something about a 2017 deadline on the current bilateral deals, and something about EU early in 2015 not wanting to enter negotiation on free-movement.

Are Switzerland likely to withdraw from EFTA and renegotiate static trade deals?

The ONS data is also a dog's breakfast. They don't do anything useful like give immigration per year, you have to faff about in Excel.

However, immigration has been well north of 500k per year for the entire decade (that's gross immigration), rising to over 600k over the last couple of years. Desperately disappointing figures for Cameron.
  • Options
    Changes on that BMG poll.

Remain plus 2

Leave plus 1
  • Options
    John_M said:

Pro_Rata said:

The ONS data is also a dog's breakfast. They don't do anything useful like give immigration per year, you have to faff about in Excel.

However, immigration has been well north of 500k per year for the entire decade (that's gross immigration), rising to over 600k over the last couple of years. Desperately disappointing figures for Cameron.
    He couldn't give a toss if most of them vote Remain
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

http://www.suellafernandes.co.uk/news/why-i-will-be-voting-leave-eu

I'm pleased to see that Suella Fernandes (one of the nicest people in politics) is backing Leave.

Sound.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

No one to blame but ourselves if that ends up being the case
  • Options

New Thread New Thread

• Options

@TSE - very interesting.

If we're being pedantic today that should be "there appears to be", "number" being a singular noun.

On the few/less issue, I believe it is a fairly recent distinction and Byron, for example, tended to use them interchangeably.
    Yes. That is pedantic.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited February 2016
    New thread.
  • Options

Link to this evidence?

justin124 said:

TGOHF said:

Lucky you. When my son was unemployed after leaving university he did not get a penny in benefits as his then girlfriend was working part time and the pair of them were deemed to have enough to live on. It's not like my day, I can tell you. The regime has got much, much stricter since the late 80s and early 90s.

I would much rather be working. The place I was at relocated up north at the end of January.
  • Options

watford30 said:

SandraM said:

Re: Savile. The Journalist Lynn Barbour put it to Savile in an interview published in 1990 that there were persistent rumours that he was sexually interested in little girls. Of course he denied it.

Given that rumours had appeared in print, why didn't senior management insist that children were chaperoned when anywhere near him?

Louis Theroux....
    Much of the stuff about Saville that turned out to be true was on the Popbitch website over a decade ago. Enough people clearly knew, yet nothing happened.
    I was told about Savile by a senior BBC "talent" 17 years ago....
    The report is clearly a whitewash. "No evidence" is the original non-denial denial. It is clear the BBC was corporately aware of at least some of Savile's crimes, but they seem to have ignored them and were mainly concerned to maintain plausible denial at the top level.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991

@TSE - very interesting.

So I understand, and an utterly unnecessary one at that, so it's only needed to show up people rather than fulfill a genuine clarification purpose - following the 'rule' doesn't make things any more or less clear for people (in a way that is required). On principle if someone corrects me on it I would use it again deliberately.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Link to this evidence?

justin124 said:

TGOHF said:

It certainly was much more generous back in the day. When I left the army I was going to take a few months off but I signed on to keep my "stamp" going and not because I wanted benefits. A couple of days later I got a giro in the post for only a few quid less than my take home pay as a soldier. I queried it and was told that I had been classified as being made redundant and so entitled to earnings-related benefit at 66% of my gross pay in my previous employment. Income tax in those days was 33%, so the financial difference between running my arse off getting shot at and sitting at home doing bugger all was about three quid a week.

That said, madness though it was, the benefits bill was a lot lower in real terms than it is today.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,222
    Re ID cards: over my dead body. @MorrisDancer: they are indeed a rancid idea.

I wouldn't be surprised if the government tried to introduce them here via the EU under some Justice/Home Affairs Directive. They are of course widespread in Continental Europe and ever more integration is likely to allow those in charge to spread them to here on the grounds of security or some such.

Re @WeeJonnie's concern re trial by jury, I raised this point several times several threads ago. As legal systems become more integrated, particularly under the Justice heading, I do have a very considerable worry that many aspects of our criminal law system will be chipped away and lost.
  • Options

Link to this evidence?

justin124 said:

TGOHF said:

I would much rather be working. The place I was at relocated up north at the end of January.
    All the best, Hertsmere.
This discussion has been closed.