Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In a week dominated by the EU UKIP’s Douglas Carswell is th

Comments

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    surbiton said:

Lord Owen: 'EU has tested us to breaking point - it's time to leave'

'Cameron's negotiation has shown why it is now too late to reform the EU from within in any significant way.'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6954770/Lord-Owen-EU-has-tested-us-to-breaking-point-Now-its-time-to-leave.html

Do you suspect the photo editor had to get approval from Owen about the choice of picture?
    Really surprised that Owen has come out for LEAVE. He has always been the epitome of stay in and reform.
    He wondered which side would give him another 15 minutes of attention. What a S.o.b !
    Was he one of your political hero's,you post disappointment ;-)
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Carswell, unlike some Tories, seems to think Cameron went to the EU and argued for reform in good faith, I see (although he failed, obviously).

Given how often he repeats the point, perhaps 'Take back control' should be the Leave slogan?

He really likes pushing the point about the vast majority of UKIP councillors backing VoteLeave too, doesn't he? I've seen him write it several times, and he brings it up here - was he expecting something different, or is it a swipe at Grassroots Out or something?
    Its a swipe at Grassroots out but primarily it is a message to the Electoral Commission who will have to decide which group to give official status to. It is remarkable that practically every UKIP councilor is backing Vote Leave rather than the officially UKIP backed G.O.
    Which explains this

http://order-order.com/2016/02/24/suzanne-evans-out-as-ukip-deputy-chair/
    Yep. This is why I said that I think UKIP will disintegrate after the referendum.

If LEAVE wins then UKIP will either have to dramatically change or lose a lot of support from those like me who were only interested in it as a means to an end. I would suggest that the Euro driven UKIP membership is perhaps a third of the total at least. For many of us to stay the Carswell tendency would have to win out and I simply don't see that happening.

If REMAIN wins then the blood letting will be catastrophic for the party and I can't see Farage surviving the backlash.
    I'm not convinced about the last paragraph. If Farage could survive last May he will shrug off anything.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    1st day, Ladies day or St Patricks day for Cheltenham - Need to pick one, and only one.
  • Options
    Hi,

Not a regular commentator on these sort of things (avoiding work at the moment). But just wanted to thank the website for the interesting podcast. Generally I think "remain" makes more sense - if only for the duty free wine at the French/English border (just imagine going back to limits) However, I think Mr Carswell is an interesting character. So it was great to hear what he thinks and, perhaps disconcertingly, I found myself agreeing with much of it. Sounds like a reasonable bloke. Although you could probably play that game where you change a few words and it means the opposite - but still agree with it.

What surprises me most so far is that those that wish to leave the EU have really not hit on a clear message and clear leadership. Maybe given the current climate that won't matter. But it is like they have been wishing for Christmas so much they forgot to buy any pressies. They are now furiously down the nearest petrol station seeing what they can pick up and hoping to get away with it. I am not sure that the "remain" folk are in that situation. Mind we've got umpteen days until the end of this one and the papers, like the French owned Daily Mail, aren't going to relent.

A contest where the heart leads the head can only be good for the betting folk

Jim the Lurker
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I am having difficulty following the PB Tories dissecting each other. In order to help the spectators would the PB Tories please line up behind:

REMAIN LEAVE

Nabavi is IN, Plato is OUT.

We need a poll.

Be LEAVE!
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,360
    AndyJS said:
    About what was expected. But no net change in London, suggesting that Zac doesn't have a hidden registration reserve, as some hoped or feared.
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Carswell, unlike some Tories, seems to think Cameron went to the EU and argued for reform in good faith, I see (although he failed, obviously).

Given how often he repeats the point, perhaps 'Take back control' should be the Leave slogan?

He really likes pushing the point about the vast majority of UKIP councillors backing VoteLeave too, doesn't he? I've seen him write it several times, and he brings it up here - was he expecting something different, or is it a swipe at Grassroots Out or something?
    Its a swipe at Grassroots out but primarily it is a message to the Electoral Commission who will have to decide which group to give official status to. It is remarkable that practically every UKIP councilor is backing Vote Leave rather than the officially UKIP backed G.O.
    Which explains this

Yep. This is why I said that I think UKIP will disintegrate after the referendum.

If LEAVE wins then UKIP will either have to dramatically change or lose a lot of support from those like me who were only interested in it as a means to an end. I would suggest that the Euro driven UKIP membership is perhaps a third of the total at least. For many of us to stay the Carswell tendency would have to win out and I simply don't see that happening.

If REMAIN wins then the blood letting will be catastrophic for the party and I can't see Farage surviving the backlash.
    Evans' letter of acceptance (of her sacking) is just pathetic.

I also note the absurd Peter Oborne throwing his usual pile of shite at Teresa May.
    You cannot make a positive case for REMAIN. All you have is bile.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060
    This is apropos of nothing, as I am committed Leaver, but I always loved the Dennis Healey Own quote:

The good fairy gave the young doctor almost everything: thick dark locks, matinee idol features, a lightning intellect. Unfortunately, the bad fairy also made him a shit.'
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,412
    edited February 2016

'Cameron's negotiation has shown why it is now too late to reform the EU from within in any significant way.'

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/politics/6954770/Lord-Owen-EU-has-tested-us-to-breaking-point-Now-its-time-to-leave.html

Do you suspect the photo editor had to get approval from Owen about the choice of picture?
    Really surprised that Owen has come out for LEAVE. He has always been the epitome of stay in and reform.
    Owen was once a very clever man. He later set up a party that was of refuseniks to the LibDems, prefering the "its my party..." approach. With an ego and arrogance that is hard to contain he now comes out for Leave. What is it about Leave that attracts leaders of personality cult parties?
    Cameron has no ego or arrogance? :)
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited February 2016
    Spoke too soon, Trump and Romney have a fight:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/270672-trump-lashes-out-at-romney-hes-a-fool

Romney attacked him on his tax returns and Trump is counter attacking.

After rolling over the Pope, G.W. Bush, Fox News, and countless others, how long do I give Romney before he also gets run over by Trump ?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This is apropos of nothing, as I am committed Leaver, but I always loved the Dennis Healey Own quote:

The good fairy gave the young doctor almost everything: thick dark locks, matinee idol features, a lightning intellect. Unfortunately, the bad fairy also made him a shit.'

Your father loves that quote.

He once told me if I ever did any David Owen threads, I had to put in that quote in the thread.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2015/10/03/my-favourite-denis-healey-quotation-on-david-owen/
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,986
    Izzard to try and join Lab NEC
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

surbiton said:

He wondered which side would give him another 15 minutes of attention. What a S.o.b !
    Anyone who leaves the Labour Party could never be one of my heroes. He was always a S.o.B. He should have been like Healey and Smith and fought from within.

But as Healey said so correctly. The man is a SHIT.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Anyone who leaves the Labour Party could never be one of my heroes. He was always a S.o.B. He should have been like Healey and Smith and fought from within.

Haven't you voted lib dem ?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291
    edited February 2016
    AndyJS said:
    Shit, fan, hit....

“According to BBC records seen by Dame Janet, I was allegedly interviewed about the girls’ diary before her death in 1971 by a very senior figure at the BBC, Bill Cotton Jr.

"I was also, supposedly, interviewed by Brian Neill QC as part of his report in to the Payola scandal at the BBC.

“I have repeatedly told Dame Janet and the BBC I was never interviewed by either man in this context and the BBC records are either very vague or have, conveniently, disappeared.

-----

For those that don't know what the Payola scandal was about,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/jimmy-savile/9623109/Jimmy-Savile-Secret-of-BBCs-first-sex-scandal.html

More evidence of something seriously rotten at the BBC in the 70's and not just kiddie fiddling.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Christ,the once proud labour party.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TBH, hasn't Baldrick been a member of the NEC?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

TBH, hasn't Baldrick been a member of the NEC?
    Well I was meaning not just now but since I could remember anything on politics ;-) have to go back when my parents voted labour ;-)
  • Options
    I don't know why, but I get very worried if I will be able to get any whitewash down at B&Q when I read report authors bringing out the "not in terms of reference" when presented with a difficult question.

http://www.exaronews.com/articles/5769/janet-smith-clashes-with-dj-a7-over-abuse-inquiry-at-bbc

I am rather glad that the lady who looked into the Rochdale grooming scandal didn't take that approach.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Haven't you voted lib dem ?
    Yes in 2010 to help Labour by keeping the Tories out. I did help elect a Lib Dem MP. In 2015, I refused to do so. He lost !
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,130
    Will the last person to leave the US please turn off the lights...

https://www.yahoo.com/politics/donald-trump-lights-out-video-162842597.html
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,060

totally insane
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    edited February 2016
    Why does David Owen back Leave? Well he's always been pro-US first, but the thought that came into my head was maybe some Russian or "Russian" "oligarch" had told him to back Leave...and then 2 minutes' research unearthed the info that he's on Alisher Usmanov's payroll.

That said, his work on how US presidents and British prime ministers usually suffer from mental problems looks interesting.

The truth can sometimes squeeze its way out in a limited way in old age, even in the actions of individuals who've lived most of their lives telling lies and being hypocritical. I mean look at Jimmy Carter. They're not all lying evil scum all the way through their entire personalities, completely and utterly, like Cyril Smith say.
  • Options

I thought Panto season was over.
  • Options
    The headline about Google / France tax isn't what it seems...

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-35655743

They haven't paid anything yet and it is just start of what could be a long winded negotiation.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,780
    edited February 2016
    rcs1000 said:

totally insane
    Good grief! And the US electorate could very well choose this CHUMP to be the next President of the United States of America.

Embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

totally insane
    Good grief! And the US electorate could very well choose this CHUMP to be the next President of the United States of America.

Embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing, embarrassing.
    But he has them in the palm of his hand.

He doesn't care. They sense it. He's totally free from all convention and all artifice.

He's a clown, a sage, a prankster, and the uncle you don't bring into polite company, all rolled into one.

And they love him for it...
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    About what was expected. But no net change in London, suggesting that Zac doesn't have a hidden registration reserve, as some hoped or feared.
    How many Sinn Fein? I believe the real majority currently is 17 once you account for Sinn Fein and Speaker from memory. Would it be 39 in the new boundaries or do Sinn Fein lose one?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2016
    Wanderer said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Which explains this

I'm not convinced about the last paragraph. If Farage could survive last May he will shrug off anything.
    Farage may survive, UKIP may not.

There is no reason those who want Leave can't or shouldn't be a part of the party with about 140 leave MPs rather than 1. Help pick the next PM too.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

I honesty cannot believe these reports about Cameron going after Gove.

It makes zero sense to attack someone who has been so polite in their dissention. It would put Gove in a "nothing to lose" situation and makes a mockery of allowing cabinet members to campaign for out.

It also smacks of weakness.

Far from being the great Statesman we all thought he was, Cameron is showing himself to be a childish bully who lashes out if he cannot get his own way.
    Assuming the story is true.
    Not just this story, but the way he has behaved in the Commons this week.
    Or things like this -

David Allen Green @DavidAllenGreen
    The Prime Minister has ordered that the Lord Chancellor cannot now have advice on EU law. Extraordinary. https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/702546674586140672
    This really is getting ridiculous. Cameron is putting winning the EU vote ahead of the good governance of the country. How can you have a situation where no one in the Justice department is allowed access to a significant proportion of their documents for 4 months. Are we simply going to say no Justice decisions can be made for a third of the year?

Cameron is a fecking lunatic.
    Well you would say that wouldn't you. You are hardly objective or impartial.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited February 2016

Farage may survive, UKIP may not.

There is no reason those who want Leave can't or shouldn't be a part of the party with about 140 leave MPs rather than 1. Help pick the next PM too.

They might join for the vote, but if its Osborne or one of this acolyte they will be gone again 10 minutes later.
  • Options
    Another great podcast Mr Pedley - Douglas has a great face for Radio! ;-)

I thought heroic spinning from Carswell about the LEAVE campaigns' strength being its 'broad base'.

That's one word for it......

On borders Carswell says we 'need to take back control of our borders'.......but does not specify how we will also 'control Labour mobility' which is also a good thing.....

Good line about 'decades of being a bad tenant - time for us to be a good neighbour'.....

Not a big fan of Nigel '87% didn't vote UKIP at the GE.'

Strong sell for Vote Leave getting the Lead Campaign designation.....

Good advice about not 'Shouting Shrill Certainties' if LEAVE want to persuade people......

• Options

I thought heroic spinning from Carswell about the LEAVE campaigns' strength being its 'broad base'.

On borders Carswell says we 'need to take back control of our borders'.......but does not specify how we will also 'control Labour mobility' which is also a good thing.....

Good line about 'decades of being a bad tenant - time for us to be a good neighbour'.....

Good advice about not 'Shouting Shrill Certainties' if LEAVE want to persuade people......

http://www.bsa.natcen.ac.uk/media/38108/immigration-bsa31.pdf

56% Immigration should be reduced a lot
    21% Immigration should be reduced a little

Two years ago, before Merkel idiocy, anyone think it is better or worse. Every time a politician is challenged about this on the TV they answer that it is out of their hands because of free movement in the EU. I think the voters understand the connection.

The nice well educated people on here don't think immigration can win it. But then we don't have that many working class tradesmen posting on here ;)

We understand the "Southam" argument here that all the politicians that will make the decision will go for the most EU solution they can get away with given the referendum result, so either more EU, or EEA plus bilaterals. That might be playing with fire, the sense of betrayal might be severe. Look out for the "Trump" candidates in 2020, and I no don't think it will be Farage.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

We understand the "Southam" argument here that all the politicians that will make the decision will go for the most EU solution they can get away with given the referendum result, so either more EU, or EEA plus bilaterals. That might be playing with fire, the sense of betrayal might be severe. Look out for the "Trump" candidates in 2020, and I no don't think it will be Farage.
    Then its up to at least one of the LEAVE campaigns to put Immigration at the heart of its argument - get the support to be appointed Lead Campaign and to win the referendum on that basis - explicitly ruling out any future which involves the four freedoms.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Indigo said:

The nice well educated people on here don't think immigration can win it. But then we don't have that many working class tradesmen posting on here ;)

Nice well educated people as you put it vote. Especially in a low turnout election. Ignore our views at your peril.

The immigration argument has been done to death for years, but it hasn't got Leave to 51%. To get to 51% you need more than just that.

56% may think immigration should be reduced a lot but that doesn't mean they'll all vote Leave. Don't fall down the same trap as Labour's 35% strategy.
  • Options

The immigration argument has been done to death for years, but it hasn't got Leave to 51%. To get to 51% you need more than just that.

This has been done to death for years as well and its misses two important words. 51% of people who vote. If leavers turn out more readily that remainers, they need much less than 51%. This referendum isn't going to be won on the issues, it's going to be won on differential turnout, remain nutters vs leave nutters plus how many waverers either side can persuade it matters enough to get off the sofa.

Ironically it might have been smart for Leave to have run a "nothing to see here move along" campaign, put the voters to sleep, and then rely on the zeal of the true believers of leave which will clearly outnumber the true believers of remain.

• Options
    Indigo said:

Ironically it might have been smart for Leave to have run a "nothing to see here move along" campaign, put the voters to sleep, and then rely on the zeal of the true believers of leave which will clearly outnumber the true believers of remain.

Remain also appears to have a higher potential level of support. Testing alternative scenarios, we found there was more potential for the Remain vote to rise than for the Leave vote to rise.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/02/24/yougov-view-eu-referendum-polling/
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Indigo said:

Remain also appears to have a higher potential level of support. Testing alternative scenarios, we found there was more potential for the Remain vote to rise than for the Leave vote to rise.

Precisely, so it is in the interest of Leave to the voters to sleep so only the zealots on each side turn out, because they have more of those.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Precisely, so it is in the interest of Leave to the voters to sleep so only the zealots on each side turn out, because they have more of those.
    Nah, couldn't work for multiple reasons.

1: Turnout was over 42% for a referendum on AV for which no normal person is a zealot (apologies to TSE). Turnout is inevitably going to be considerably higher for this no matter what.
    2: Have you tried telling Leave zealots to shut up? Good luck with that one!
    3: The media love this. It's going to dominate the news for the next 4 months until the vote.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

1: Turnout was over 42% for a referendum on AV for which no normal person is a zealot (apologies to TSE). Turnout is inevitably going to be considerably higher for this no matter what.
    3: The media love this. It's going to dominate the news for the next 4 months until the vote.
    4. ABC1 voters are the ones who turnout when others do not. They are pro-Remain. WWC males are notoriously hard to get to turnout and are more likely to vote Leave. A low turnout is not certain to support Leave (and to an extent undermines the validity of the referendum).
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Furthermore don't assume that differential turnout automatically helps Leave. Especially if the issue is appealing to those "working class" concerned by immigration rather than "nice educated people" and then relying upon turnout. The latter vote.

In the 2015 general election AB social class voters had 75% turnout versus 57% turnout for DE voters. My guess which aligns with what you wrote is that it is the latter that are more concerned by migration but far, far less likely to bother to vote. In fact the divide is even worse if you look at males, 77% of AB males vote versus 56% of DE males.

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/researchpublications/researcharchive/3575/How-Britain-voted-in-2015.aspx?view=wide

Put another way AB males regardless of age have the same turnout as 55-64 year olds while DE voters regardless of age have the same turnout as 25-34 year olds. Low turnout is not automatically your friend if that is how you want to play it.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

4. ABC1 voters are the ones who turnout when others do not. They are pro-Remain. WWC males are notoriously hard to get to turnout and are more likely to vote Leave. A low turnout is not certain to support Leave (and to an extent undermines the validity of the referendum).
    Who turned out for the Kippers last Euro elections, was that WWC or pissed off ABC1 registering a protest vote ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I am having difficulty following the PB Tories dissecting each other. In order to help the spectators would the PB Tories please line up behind:

REMAIN LEAVE

Nabavi is IN, Plato is OUT.

We need a poll.

That's a good idea. It should have two entries, 'How I will vote' and 'How I think the country will vote'.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Incidentally immigration is of the most concern to DE people and the least to the AB people. Furthermore the reasons for concern vary dramatically, of the many DE people who are concerned a prime reason for concern is jobs and to a lesser extent benefits and housing.

Whereas for the smaller subset of more well off people who are concerned about the concern is benefits/public services and jobs and housing matter far less.

Hence I guess the renegotiation on benefits. For the ABC1 voters who actually turn up to vote that are concerned about immigration, Cameron has tried to shoot the fox of the main reason they're concerned. The C2DE voters whose concern about jobs can't be resolved on the other hand don't bother to vote at the best of times.

So relying on immigration and turnout is doomed to failure for multiple reasons. There is no easy win here, it needs to be a hard fought win and you need arguments that appeal to those who bother to vote.

EDIT: Link to where I got this posts data from, see figure 10: https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Publications/sri-perceptions-and-reality-immigration-report-summary-2013.pdf
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Who turned out for the Kippers last Euro elections, was that WWC or pissed off ABC1 registering a protest vote ?
    It was a mix and included protest votes and the only reason UKIP so-called won the vote is because it was split more than four ways. UKIP didn't get anywhere close to 51% of the vote which is what will be needed in the referendum, they got 26.6% and 4 million votes.

No2AV got 13 million votes on a significantly lower turnout than this election will get.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Nice well educated people as you put it vote. Especially in a low turnout election. Ignore our views at your peril.

56% may think immigration should be reduced a lot but that doesn't mean they'll all vote Leave. Don't fall down the same trap as Labour's 35% strategy.
    Well said.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

LOL I'd missed your post. Guess we had the same train of thought.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,534
    edited February 2016

Incidentally immigration is of the most concern to DE people and the least to the AB people. Furthermore the reasons for concern vary dramatically, of the many DE people who are concerned a prime reason for concern is jobs and to a lesser extent benefits and housing.

Whereas for the smaller subset of more well off people who are concerned about the concern is benefits/public services and jobs and housing matter far less.

Hence I guess the renegotiation on benefits. For the ABC1 voters who actually turn up to vote that are concerned about immigration, Cameron has tried to shoot the fox of the main reason they're concerned. The C2DE voters whose concern about jobs can't be resolved on the other hand don't bother to vote at the best of times.

So relying on immigration and turnout is doomed to failure for multiple reasons. There is no easy win here, it needs to be a hard fought win and you need arguments that appeal to those who bother to vote.

EDIT: Link to where I got this posts data from, see figure 10: https://www.ipsos-mori.com/Assets/Docs/Publications/sri-perceptions-and-reality-immigration-report-summary-2013.pdf

I think people are, genuinely, very concerned about immigration.

However, enough of them won't prioritise voting for its reduction if they share a fear that in doing so that will also lead to a big reduction in the size of their wallets.

It's a classic community v. personal interest issue, and why polls often underestimate the Tories over Labour, because, fundamentally, the Tories offer more reassurance on home economics.

It's enough to make a big difference.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,894

Indigo said:

"Many of the underlying polling figures suggest that the Remain campaign may be in a stronger position than the topline figures imply. On most measures people expect Britain to be worse off if we leave the European Union – leaving is seen as being bad for British jobs, bad for British influence in the world and bad for the economy"

I just read this from your yougov link. If 'Leave' continue Michael Gove's strategy of plugging loss of sovereignty I imgine the above will trump them every time.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,519

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

It makes zero sense to attack someone who has been so polite in their dissention. It would put Gove in a "nothing to lose" situation and makes a mockery of allowing cabinet members to campaign for out.

Far from being the great Statesman we all thought he was, Cameron is showing himself to be a childish bully who lashes out if he cannot get his own way.
    Or things like this -

The Prime Minister has ordered that the Lord Chancellor cannot now have advice on EU law. Extraordinary. https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/702546674586140672
    This really is getting ridiculous. Cameron is putting winning the EU vote ahead of the good governance of the country. How can you have a situation where no one in the Justice department is allowed access to a significant proportion of their documents for 4 months. Are we simply going to say no Justice decisions can be made for a third of the year?

I hope you get extra for a night shift.

• Options

However, enough of them won't prioritise voting for its reduction if they share a fear that in doing so that will also lead to a big reduction in the size of their wallets.

It's a classic community v. personal interest issue, and why polls often underestimate the Tories over Labour, because, fundamentally, the Tories offer more reassurance on home economics.

Well said. The Tories also disproportionately appeal to those demographics who vote, like Remain almost certainly will if Leave follows Indigo/Farage's path.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,994
    edited February 2016

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Or things like this -

Really? I am on record here of saying often that I wanted a LEAVE victory bit Cameron to stay because outside of the EU issue I thought he was a very good PM. I have praised him for many of the decisions he has made. Unlike you I actually think about the issues rather than blindly following a party line.

Of the two of us it is very clear that it is you who are a blinkered part fanatic rather than me.
  • Options

Well said. The Tories also disproportionately appeal to those demographics who vote, like Remain almost certainly will if Leave follows Indigo/Farage's path.
    As I have said, I am relaxed about immigration as such, being married to an immigrant with immigrant children has that effect on you ;) What exercises me is multiculturalism vs integration, the need to accept any EU criminal or vagrant that comes here, and the inability to throw out people that are conspicuously detrimental the country by their presence.

I am also extremely pissed off that we continue to let illegals in to the disadvantage of people waiting patiently in line. I am closely involved in a number of legal visa applications here, which are continually bounced back on the flimsiest of pretexts, and much more so this year than previously (18% rise in rejection on technicalities this year). The government continues to make legal applications more difficult, appeals less likely to succeed and both legal applications and appeals dramatically more expensive. At the same time they make appeals easier and cheaper for illegals already in the country. It's a disgrace.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,927
    At the moment, certainty to vote favours Leave (see the MORI and Yougov polls). The gap between old and young voters' turnout (and registration) is bigger than the gap between middle and working class voters' turnout. A 60 year old working class voter is probably more likely to vote than a 24 year old middle class voter.

But, that does of course give Remain greater potential to improve turnout.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Hi,

Welcome
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    For those who have trouble accessing PB for the next 4 months, they can replicate the experience by reading Hugo Rifkind's column in today's Times, every day.
    And before long you’ll be having arguments. These arguments. Be prepared.

The one about David Cameron
    “I’m finding it a bit weird being on David Cameron’s side,” somebody who voted Labour will say. “He’s just so awful,” somebody who voted Conservative will say. And then they’ll both frown a bit, and go awfully quiet.

The one about immigration
    Life holds few greater joys than a fervent Ukipper genuinely expecting you to believe he’s against the EU so we can keep out more Poles and let in more Indians. Treasure these moments.

The one about sovereignty
    Nobody really wants to argue about sovereignty, but in the end they just can’t help themselves. Which is ironic, really. Traditionally, one person in this argument goes, “I just want us to be able to set our own laws,” and the other one person goes, “Such as?” Then the first person goes, “Such as anything.” And the second person goes, “For example?” And the first person goes, “That’s not the point.” And the second person goes, “No, but seriously, tell me a law.” And then the first person says, “VAT.”

The one about VAT
    Really, that’s what this is all about. All EU arguments end with VAT.
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/life/article4698496.ece
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

For those who have trouble accessing PB for the next 4 months, they can replicate the experience by reading Hugo Rifkind's column in today's Times, every day.

“I’m finding it a bit weird being on David Cameron’s side,” somebody who voted Labour will say. “He’s just so awful,” somebody who voted Conservative will say. And then they’ll both frown a bit, and go awfully quiet.

Life holds few greater joys than a fervent Ukipper genuinely expecting you to believe he’s against the EU so we can keep out more Poles and let in more Indians. Treasure these moments.

Nobody really wants to argue about sovereignty, but in the end they just can’t help themselves. Which is ironic, really. Traditionally, one person in this argument goes, “I just want us to be able to set our own laws,” and the other one person goes, “Such as?” Then the first person goes, “Such as anything.” And the second person goes, “For example?” And the first person goes, “That’s not the point.” And the second person goes, “No, but seriously, tell me a law.” And then the first person says, “VAT.”

The one about VAT

Hugo Rifkind is full-on metropolitan elite, and soaking wet, of course.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Sean_F said:

At the moment, certainty to vote favours Leave (see the MORI and Yougov polls). The gap between old and young voters' turnout (and registration) is bigger than the gap between middle and working class voters' turnout. A 60 year old working class voter is probably more likely to vote than a 24 year old middle class voter.

If you mean Middle Class as AB and Working Class as DE (I hate both terms personally):

A middle class voter (75%) is nearly as likely to vote as a 60 year old (77%)
    A working class voter (57%) is nearly as likely to vote as a 25 year old.(54%)

A homeowner (77%) is exactly as likely to vote as a 60 year old (77%)
    A private renter (51%) is nearly as likely to vote as a 25 year old (54%)

I'd be curious to see the detail on a phone poll showing turnout favours Leave.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The fundamentals are pretty clear to me. Leave have not done enough, and are not doing enough, to run this very close with a chance of winning this.

Relying on the EU migration crisis and socking it to Cameron won't be enough, IMHO.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    The electoral commission will not officially nominate the official campaigns until 1st April. Are we really going to have more than another month of this chaos from Leave? If so the official nomination will be entirely academic.

The egos on the Leave side are many and various and the addition of David Owen is hardly likely to increase the sense of harmony and unity. Most claim that this is the biggest decision that the country will have faced in the last 40 years. But it is still not important enough, apparently, to stop playing really stupid and destructive games.

Rather than moaning about Cameron leading the remain campaign and standing up for government policy the various Leave factions need to focus on giving the people of this country a genuine and serious choice. To date that has not happened and the inevitable conclusion is going to be that whilst the EU is a very long way short of perfect staying in is the only sensible option.

I always thought that Leave would have some of these problems but the last week has been beyond my worst nightmares. Even in this podcast we have UKIPs only MP disagreeing with Farage about who the leading group should be. I was too young to vote the last time and will probably be dead before this comes around again. Is this one chance to define our future as a nation really to be a total farce?

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Why do the Leavers such as Douglas Carswell in the podcast say Britain is the second biggest contributer to the EU when all the charts indicate it's 4th or with the rebate 5th?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/11221427/EU-budget-what-you-need-to-know.html
  • Options
    Roger said:

Why do the Leavers such as Douglas Carswell in the podcast say Britain is the second biggest contributer to the EU when all the charts indicate it's 4th or with the rebate 5th?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/11221427/EU-budget-what-you-need-to-know.html

Did you read your link?

However, on a net basis, Britain was the second largest contributor to the EU budget last year. It put €10.8bn more into the EU pot last year than it took out. Only Germany paid more on a net basis.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Indigo said:

Indigo said:

A bit of both (though most voters voted for parties of in).

The Euro elections are generally thought of as a free hit without consequence on how we are governed (slightly discrediting the idea that the majority of laws are made in Brussels). This referendum will have real effect whichever way it goes and will be decided by every voter not just those in Midland marginals like Broxtowe. That is why I expect turnout to be of the same order as the GE.

It is worth noting that it was the relatively low turnout areas in Scotland (Glasgow and Dundee) that were the only ones with a majority for Yes in the Sindyref, though even there the turnout was higher than it has been for decades.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,371
    Roger said:

Because we are the second highest net contributors as that article makes clear.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The electoral commission will not officially nominate the official campaigns until 1st April. Are we really going to have more than another month of this chaos from Leave? If so the official nomination will be entirely academic.

The egos on the Leave side are many and various and the addition of David Owen is hardly likely to increase the sense of harmony and unity. Most claim that this is the biggest decision that the country will have faced in the last 40 years. But it is still not important enough, apparently, to stop playing really stupid and destructive games.

Rather than moaning about Cameron leading the remain campaign and standing up for government policy the various Leave factions need to focus on giving the people of this country a genuine and serious choice. To date that has not happened and the inevitable conclusion is going to be that whilst the EU is a very long way short of perfect staying in is the only sensible option.

I always thought that Leave would have some of these problems but the last week has been beyond my worst nightmares. Even in this podcast we have UKIPs only MP disagreeing with Farage about who the leading group should be. I was too young to vote the last time and will probably be dead before this comes around again. Is this one chance to define our future as a nation really to be a total farce?

It's beyond depressing, isn't it?

Not that anyone cares or listens to what I think, but I shall be writing to Vote Leave this weekend.

Might make me feel better.
  • Options
    There's plenty of bad EU laws. Other than VAT (and surely levels of taxation are a big deal?), there's price floors for food products, the bankers' bonus cap, the Alternative Investment Management restrictions, poorly set fisheries quotas, temporary workers directive. Thats just off top of my head. Seems like theres some journos who don't speak to people outside their bubble.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,787
    edited February 2016
    Scott_P said:

Or revisit SINDYREF.....

"What about the currency Four Freedoms?"

"Thats neither here nor there. Whats important is that we are in control of our future and our borders"

"So will we use the pound control of our borders?

"Of course! the rUK EU/EEA/EFTA are bound to agree to that!

"What if they don't"

"Project Fear! Project Fear! Project Fear! There's no point in debating with you Unionist Europhile fanatics! What people are interested in is FREEDOM.....
  • Options

Roger said:

Did you read your link?

However, on a net basis, Britain was the second largest contributor to the EU budget last year. It put €10.8bn more into the EU pot last year than it took out. Only Germany paid more on a net basis.
    When adjusted for Gross National income or population the British contribution is pretty much the same or less than Germany, France, Italy, the Low Countries or Scandanavia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_the_European_Union

• Options
    Roger said:

Trust you to quote a Europhile propaganda sheet like the Telegraph.......
  • Options
    Incidentally, good afternoon from the Philippines where we celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the People Power Revolution with a public holiday (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Power_Revolution). Its also presidential, senatorial, house and local election year, so the place is festooned in political posters to the extent you would not believe. If anyone is interested I can talk about the processes, but it would be a foolish expat who expressed any opinions on the candidates or parties involved, politics is taken extremely seriously here, sometimes dangerously so.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    AndyJS said:

Schengen can't survive two million migrants this year. Just a fact.

Reports on Sky last night indicated that even Belgium has now reinstated border controls.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    I've been fortunate enough to spend time with Douglas Carswell, he is a very measured man, his decision to leave the Conservative Party wasn't petulant, his decision is justified by Cameron's stance now. Where that leaves Ukip is hard to say. The funding of a political party is incredibly difficult, Ukip ran out of money a month before the GE and concentrated all resources in Thanet. They are now totally skint.

In its current form it is finished, perhaps in time it can renew itself. I fear that those of us who hope for a small state, low tax, libertarian party are in a tiny minority.

As somebody who has also spent a lot of time with Nigel Farage I hope we see a dignified departure from him, he's done so much, but I doubt it.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Roger said:

Because we are the second highest net contributors as that article makes clear.
    It is slightly ambiguously written but if you include the rebate which amounts to 66% of the net contribution I make it 4th or 5th
  • Options

Sean_F said:

If you mean Middle Class as AB and Working Class as DE (I hate both terms personally):

A middle class voter (75%) is nearly as likely to vote as a 60 year old (77%)
    A working class voter (57%) is nearly as likely to vote as a 25 year old.(54%)

A homeowner (77%) is exactly as likely to vote as a 60 year old (77%)
    A private renter (51%) is nearly as likely to vote as a 25 year old (54%)

I'd be curious to see the detail on a phone poll showing turnout favours Leave.
    The Latest Ipsos MORI poll gives Remain a 32% lead among those certain not to vote, and a 7% lead among those certain to vote.

Yougov have Leave 74% certain to vote, Remain 64%.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,131
    edited February 2016
    Sean_F said:

A middle class Remainer who is a pensioner will be more likely to vote than a working class pensioner minded to Leave and a middle class thirty year old who backs Remain more likely to vote than a working class thirty year old who backs Brexit. At the general election and in indyref the Tories and No had a clear advantage on turnout as they were backed by both the old and the middle-class who have higher turnout while the young and working class, who have a lower turnout, favoured Labour and Yes respectively. In EU Ref neither side will have as big a turnout advantage as while the old back Leave the middle-class back Remain
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Roger said:

Did you read your link?

Lying, hyperbolic Leavers at it again.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,991
    Indigo said:

Incidentally, good afternoon from the Philippines where we celebrate the 30th Anniversary of the People Power Revolution with a public holiday (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/People_Power_Revolution). Its also presidential, senatorial, house and local election year, so the place is festooned in political posters to the extent you would not believe. If anyone is interested I can talk about the processes, but it would be a foolish expat who expressed any opinions on the candidates or parties involved, politics is taken extremely seriously here, sometimes dangerously so.

I for one would be interested in the processes.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Not that anyone cares or listens to what I think, but I shall be writing to Vote Leave this weekend.

Would Vote Leave be your preference for Lead Campaign?
  • Options

Roger said:

Did you read your link?

When adjusted for Gross National income or population the British contribution is pretty much the same or less than Germany, France, Italy, the Low Countries or Scandanavia.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Budget_of_the_European_Union

So what? We are bigger than the Low Countries so contribute more. In a standard organisation he who pays the piper calls the tunes but it must be abundantly clear to everyone by now that despite paying our tunes are left unplayed.
  • Options
    Carswell is very impressive on this podcast. Very measured on immigration and the future of the EU.

I like his reference to Paul Kennedy's Rise and Fall of the Great Powers. An excellent book, and very good read, that influenced me too.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited February 2016
    Scott_P said:

The one about VAT

It's amazing that Rifkind is paid money for this crap. It can't last.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Roger said:

Trust you to quote a Europhile propaganda sheet like the Telegraph.......

I was going to use this from the BBC which is much less convoluted but for some reason they have used figures from 2007!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8036097.stm

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,047
    A thought which occurred to me after a community events meeting last night. A few days before the Referendum there is going to be a big “patriotic” event, the celebration of the Queen’s 90th birthday. Will that affect the result and how. Be proiud of our “specialness” for example, or won’t it make any difference?
  • Options
    The problem with just focusing on the economic issues is that they're unproveable either way. Two talking heads debating whether GDP will be 1% greater or smaller if we leave just isn't going to get voters out of bed.

It seems to me that the only honest answer is that economically, Leave or Remain makes very little difference.
  • Options

A thought which occurred to me after a community events meeting last night. A few days before the Referendum there is going to be a big “patriotic” event, the celebration of the Queen’s 90th birthday. Will that affect the result and how. Be proiud of our “specialness” for example, or won’t it make any difference?

It will be a very foolish politician who tries even obliquely to make capital out of the Queen's birthday for a poxy referendum. Patriotic Brits will celebrate the day and see it as part of the country's culture without linking it to the referendum vote.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    edited February 2016

Not a huge difference, I would think. It's not going to be on the scale of a jubilee or royal wedding is it (is it)?

Of course it's possible that that event, ahem, doesn't occur. That might have an effect.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The problem with just focusing on the economic issues is that they're unproveable either way. Two talking heads debating whether GDP will be 1% greater or smaller if we leave just isn't going to get voters out of bed.

It seems to me that the only honest answer is that economically, Leave or Remain makes very little difference.

I don't think that's true. The two courses are potentially radically different in economic outcome. The honest answer is that we don't necessarily know how.
  • Options

It will be a very foolish politician who tries even obliquely to make capital out of the Queen's birthday for a poxy referendum. Patriotic Brits will celebrate the day and see it as part of the country's culture without linking it to the referendum vote.
    It may be a question of it it affects matters regardless of whether someone tries to make capital of it. Events can impact the national mood, and thus the vote, without anyone intending them too perhaps.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

In the short term Leave will probably have some temporary pain - currency depression, higher inflation & reduced business investment while uncertainty over renegotiation carries on.......longer term, who knows, but provided Britain retains access to the single market, there won't be much difference longer term.

Of course if we end up out of the single market (with complete control of our borders) I struggle to see how we will be anything but poorer.....
  • Options

I've been fortunate enough to spend time with Douglas Carswell, he is a very measured man, his decision to leave the Conservative Party wasn't petulant, his decision is justified by Cameron's stance now. Where that leaves Ukip is hard to say. The funding of a political party is incredibly difficult, Ukip ran out of money a month before the GE and concentrated all resources in Thanet. They are now totally skint.

In its current form it is finished, perhaps in time it can renew itself. I fear that those of us who hope for a small state, low tax, libertarian party are in a tiny minority.

As somebody who has also spent a lot of time with Nigel Farage I hope we see a dignified departure from him, he's done so much, but I doubt it.

I thought he came accross OK though I can't understand why an intelligent person would use such a hackneyed line as "who the heck do these people think they are trying to live our lives for us on tax free salaries in Brussels" . When he moved on and said we should never criticize immigrants who are only trying to improve their circmstances...I started to like him more
  • Options
    One final thought on demographics and turnout, based on Sean's comment about a young middle class individual versus and older working class one ... I am curious if anyone knows what proportion of each age-group belongs to which social class?

As people age they not only mature but can change their occupation.

Someone who is unemployed at 18 (E)
    Could be working in a semi-skilled or unskilled profession at 25 (D).
    By 35 they may have become skilled at what they do (C2).
    By 45 they could be supervisory to the next generation (C1) - now middle class.
    By 55 they could have become managerial (B)
    Before they retire they may have even reached higher management (A)

While it's not a one-way street people try and progress through their careers rather than go backwards so I wonder if the elderly could be more likely to vote because they're more middle class and/or if the middle class could be more likely to vote because they're older.

Do we have data that granulated?
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

New EU referendum, in Hungary, on whether migrant quotas should be accepted:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35657054

Not Hungarian, but I'd guess it's a dead cert, and a way of getting clear popular support for a hardline stance.

• Options
    Ryanair has taken out an advert in the Times saying 'Vote Yes to Europe'
  • Options

Sean_F said:

In the short term Leave will probably have some temporary pain - currency depression, higher inflation & reduced business investment while uncertainty over renegotiation carries on.......longer term, who knows, but provided Britain retains access to the single market, there won't be much difference longer term.

Of course if we end up out of the single market (with complete control of our borders) I struggle to see how we will be anything but poorer.....
    Other English-speaking countries like the USA, Australia and Canada are significantly richer than us by GDP per capita without having French social policies foisted upon them. Do you think they're richer than us despite not being in the EU?
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

New EU referendum, in Hungary, on whether migrant quotas should be accepted:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-35657054

Not Hungarian, but I'd guess it's a dead cert, and a way of getting clear popular support for a hardline stance.

Worked in Greece. Hell, even when the stance failed they rewarded the people taking it!
  • Options

DavidL said:

Would Vote Leave be your preference for Lead Campaign?
    Absolutely.
  • Options

The Dutch, the Spanish, the Belgians, the Swedes, the Danes and Luxembourg all have monarchies too and the Queen probably backs Remain (though Philip likely backs Leave)
This discussion has been closed.