Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Bullingdon boys go into battle and it ain’t going to be

123457»

Comments

• Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    AndyJS said:

I can't find any states where Rubio is ahead of Trump in the polls. Virginia seems to be the closest.

There was a Utah poll today which puts Rubio ahead, although my algorithm gives it narrowly to Cruz, based on median of three polls. It's a more-or-less irrelevant state, however, polling by PR in the final leg of the contest.

There is evidence that Rubio is rising elsewhere. By how much and how fast is hard to judge.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,899
    Viceroy said:

viewcode said:

Viceroy said:

I have just ordered 3,000 leaflets from Vote Leave which I intend to hand out around my solid Labour area over the coming weeks. Focused on the NHS/TTIP and EU spending.

Being young, I have never leafleted or done anything for a political party before other than pay membership subs but this is so important I am going to post as many leaflets as possible before now and June.

Time to take the country back and I urge everybody to help. We can win this.

I appreciate you think TTIP and such are important, but if the report below is correct, your efforts will fuck up a lot of people's lives

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/pound-could-fall-1-20-192700971.html
    What will "f*** up lives" is staying within the European Union as it moves towards federalism despite no democratic mandate and the forces of nationalism arise in reaction to that. The dangers of forcing people into a political union through fear and lies are so so dangerous as we've seen countless times around the globe and in the Europe of the last century.

My birthright of an independent nation and sovereign parliament is not a dangerous idea but a simple and just one, and one which nations such as America, Australia, Canada and New Zealand all enjoy.

And indeed the more I hear weak and transparent attempts to scare me into thinking otherwise the sooner I cannot wait to pound those pavements and post those leaflets.
    I'm sure that what you wrote made sense to you but what you are speaking of are abstract concepts that aren't really relevant to people's lives. However, I'll make you a deal. You can talk to people all you like about federalism, mandates, TTIPs, sovereignity, whatever people on here usually bang on about. Provided that you also tell them that it's messing up the currency and threatening interest rate rises, with the resultant risk to credit card and mortgage payments. Seriously. Go tell them that. See what they say.
  • Options

viewcode said:

Viceroy said:

I have just ordered 3,000 leaflets from Vote Leave which I intend to hand out around my solid Labour area over the coming weeks. Focused on the NHS/TTIP and EU spending.

Being young, I have never leafleted or done anything for a political party before other than pay membership subs but this is so important I am going to post as many leaflets as possible before now and June.

I appreciate you think TTIP and such are important, but if the report below is correct, your efforts will fuck up a lot of people's lives

Currency fluctuations happen. It won't fuck up anything, though it would be a boon to exporters and a challenge to importers.
    Remind me again when was the last time the pound went down to $1.20?
    Remind me again when was the last time interest rates went up?
  • Options
    ViceroyViceroy Posts: 128
    viewcode said:

Viceroy said:

viewcode said:

Viceroy said:

What will "f*** up lives" is staying within the European Union as it moves towards federalism despite no democratic mandate and the forces of nationalism arise in reaction to that. The dangers of forcing people into a political union through fear and lies are so so dangerous as we've seen countless times around the globe and in the Europe of the last century.

My birthright of an independent nation and sovereign parliament is not a dangerous idea but a simple and just one, and one which nations such as America, Australia, Canada and New Zealand all enjoy.

And indeed the more I hear weak and transparent attempts to scare me into thinking otherwise the sooner I cannot wait to pound those pavements and post those leaflets.
    I'm sure that what you wrote made sense to you but what you are speaking of are abstract concepts that aren't really relevant to people's lives. However, I'll make you a deal. You can talk to people all you like about federalism, mandates, TTIPs, sovereignity, whatever people on here usually bang on about. Provided that you also tell them that it's messing up the currency and threatening interest rate rises, with the resultant risk to credit card and mortgage payments. Seriously. Go tell them that. See what they say.
    Control over our borders.
    Control over our seas.
    Control over our energy policy.
    Control over our trade deals.
    Control over our justice system.

I could go on, do you think these matter to people? I do.

My belief is the Leave campaign ought to hold back on immigration until the final weeks and then go nuclear with the simple message that if you want to control immigration (in the midst of the chaos that will engulf the continent with the refugees this summer) then the only way is to leave the European Union. Billboards and the lot.

You trade on ifs, could's and might. We can go on what actually *is* happening.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Dunno about the +/-, but Rubio's rise doesn't seem to be hurting Trump.

Would be next to no delegates for Cruz in GA, with its 20% threshold...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Viceroy said:

Currency fluctuations happen. It won't fuck up anything, though it would be a boon to exporters and a challenge to importers.
    Interest rates are on the floor. Them going up is not the end of the world it is in fact a long time overdue.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    viewcode said:

When I was in the USSR 31 years ago the pound was $1.10.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Viceroy said:

Control over our seas.

My belief is the Leave campaign ought to hold back on immigration until the final weeks and then go nuclear with the simple message that if you want to control immigration (in the midst of the chaos that will engulf the continent with the refugees this summer) then the only way is to leave the European Union. Billboards and the lot.

I trade on how much I have to pay on my mortgage. Three people who post on this board are either buying (or have recently bought) property or have mortgage payments in other currencies. Currency movements and the concomitant threat of interest rate rises cost money which they will have to pay. Your concerns, no matter how sincerely held or important to you, have costs which other people will have to pay in cold hard cash.

You aren't going to believe a blind word I say or will elide/ignore my points. But the least you can do is be honest to the people you leaflet and tell them that your dreams of a better future will cost them money.

And you're not going to do that.

[edit: unfuck tags]
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Viceroy said:

Interest rates are on the floor. Them going up is not the end of the world it is in fact a long time overdue.
  • Options
    Georgia's allocation is one of the more complex to model. One of only 2 states that have three effective tiers.

14 CDs, each of 3 delegates, 42 in total. Unless the winner in a CD wins >50%, they will split 2:1 to first/second place. I model this as a square law.

31 Statewide delegates, allocated "proportionally". If one candidate wins >50% or only one exceeds the 20% threshold, it's WTA, else "proportional" among those who win >20%.

3 WTA Statewide delegates to the state winner, whatever their vote share.

We'll see how close I get!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Viceroy said:

Control over our seas.

I trade on how much I have to pay on my mortgage. Three people who post on this board are either buying (or have recently bought) property or have mortgage payments in other currencies. Currency movements and the concomitant threat of interest rate rises cost money which they will have to pay. Your concerns, no matter how sincerely held or important to you, have costs which other people will have to pay in cold hard cash.

You aren't going to believe a blind word I say or will elide/ignore my points. But the least you can do is be honest to the people you leaflet and tell them that your dreams of a better future will cost them money.

You do realise a rise in interest rates has been on the cards for years and is just a matter of time?

You do realise America has already raised their base rate? That we are expecting to follow before long?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    JohnLoony said:

viewcode said:

Just looked it up.[1] Shit, it's a thirty-year low. Damn, that's worrying. Interest rates were 14% in 1985.[2] Oh, bugger... :(

[1] http://www.miketodd.net/encyc/dollhist-graph2.htm
    [2] http://www.mortgagerates.org.uk/images/boe-rates.png

• Options
    viewcode said:

JohnLoony said:

viewcode said:

Just looked it up.[1] Shit, it's a thirty-year low. Damn, that's worrying. Interest rates were 14% in 1985. Oh, bugger... :(

The fundamentals are completely different to 31 years ago. We are talking about rate rises to still well below the previously standard 5%
  • Options
    Viceroy said:

AndyJS said:

Viceroy said:

Whereabouts are you? (roughly)
    A Liverpool constituency. Not far from Anfield.
    Bootle or Walton?

Anyhow, Liverpool's on its own planet, when it come to these issues. The capital of itself.

Sceptic is in our DNA, however...
  • Options

viewcode said:

Viceroy said:

Control over our seas.

You do realise a rise in interest rates has been on the cards for years and is just a matter of time?

You do realise America has already raised their base rate? That we are expecting to follow before long?
    Up until ~Autumn last year, the consensus was that rates would rise in 2016 and fixed-rate mortgages rose accordingly. Then the BOE reversed/cast doubt on its forward guidance policy and that consensus reversed, concluding that rates would stay low thru 2016 (and longer, if memory serves). Now Brexit fears have surfaced, GBP is dropping and suddenly interest rate rises are back on the menu again.

But you're ignoring what I said.

• Options

viewcode said:

JohnLoony said:

viewcode said:

Just looked it up.[1] Shit, it's a thirty-year low. Damn, that's worrying. Interest rates were 14% in 1985. Oh, bugger... :(

The fundamentals are completely different to 31 years ago. We are talking about rate rises to still well below the previously standard 5%
    So tell people that. When you tell them about sovereignity and whatnot, tell them that because of your Brexit, interest rates will rise but they mustn't worry because it'll be under 5%. Probably. That'll reassure them.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

JohnLoony said:

viewcode said:

So tell people that. When you tell them about sovereignity and whatnot, tell them that because of your Brexit, interest rates will rise but they mustn't worry because it'll be under 5%. Probably. That'll reassure them.
    whereas staying in the EU will guarantee low interest rates for ever? Sounds unlikely
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

JohnLoony said:

viewcode said:

whereas staying in the EU will guarantee low interest rates for ever? Sounds unlikely
    Again, you're ignoring what I said. Be honest with people. Tell them your dreams have a cost, so they can make an informed decision. Otherwise you're just messing with people's lives.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited February 2016
    RodCrosby said:

Georgia's allocation is one of the more complex to model. One of only 2 states that have three effective tiers.

14 CDs, each of 3 delegates, 42 in total. Unless the winner in a CD wins >50%, they will split 2:1 to first/second place. I model this as a square law.

31 Statewide delegates, allocated "proportionally". If one candidate wins >50% or only one exceeds the 20% threshold, it's WTA, else "proportional" among those who win >20%.

Their primary is today I've just noticed. Assumed Georgia was a Super Tuesday state for some reason.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

Their primary is today I've just noticed. Assumed Georgia was a Super Tuesday state for some reason.
    Dunno what you're looking at Andy.
    It is a Super Tuesday state!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2016
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

JohnLoony said:

viewcode said:

It sure should. Anyone who can't cope with an inevitable, small and long overdue rise in interest rates is a moron. Plus it will be a boon to both savers and exporters.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    viewcode said:

Viceroy said:

Oh purlease.. the pound has move 30% against the dollar in the last 7 years... Did I miss the world ending ?
  • Options
    New Thread
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

Rod - while you're here - your excellent spreadsheet over-allocates delegates in some instances if you insert the same vote share for candidates (e.g. for WTA states). While that may be the expected performance, I thought I'd note it.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

AndyJS said:

RodCrosby said:

Rod - while you're here - your excellent spreadsheet over-allocates delegates in some instances if you insert the same vote share for candidates (e.g. for WTA states). While that may be the expected performance, I thought I'd note it.
    If you force a tie in a WTA state, what would you expect?

Just don't do it. Or would you wish me to break them randomly?
This discussion has been closed.