Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Bullingdon boys go into battle and it ain’t going to be

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,080
    Pulpstar said:

Michigan and West Virginia are the wrong way round for the Dems !

Just double-checked and Sanders leads in WV and Clinton in Michigan
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    How do you top Galloway?

@PickardJE: Ickle adds ballast to rapidly swelling Out movement https://t.co/PtyXToamf8
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    Thanx
    HYUFD said:

When are the next early hours primaries?

Nevada for the GOP is tomorrow which might declare earlier, SC for the Dems is on Saturday, Super Tuesday is next week
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Vincent ITV
    Updated: End of play Monday Tory #EURef tally:
    REMAIN 129
    OUT 120
    UNDECIDED 45
    UNKNOWN 36

So if it were a commons vote REMAIN would win easily.
    Higher than I thought. I thought Leave would be on 110-120 Tory MPs and it looks like it's already topped that.

If it wasn't for the payroll vote, I think Leave would have a Tory majority.
    Again with this "payroll vote" malarky, when it's a free vote. May as well say if it wasn't for the leavers remain would have unanimity.
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838
    Jonathan said:

One thing's for sure. All the witch hazel in the world isn't going to be sufficient balm for the bruises and wounds in the Conservative party when all this has ended.

Bruised and battered Tories, meet Jeremy Corbyn. Jeremy is the best friend you will ever have ...

It's precisely because the Conservatives don't fear Jeremy Corbyn that they feel able to behave so badly to each other. The divisions in each main party are encouraging members of the other main party to become more internally confrontational.
    Labour discipline began to fail during the weak leadership of Hague and IDS, which offered no challenge to Labour. It plants seeds that germinate later on.

The trick Labour has to pull off is to keep JC in place to maximise the space for Tory decent and then swap him for a more effective leader once the Tories have reached the point of no return.

Will it happen? Who knows.
    The left does have some reason to be optimistic.

It's already clear that the Tories are going to rip each to shreds during the referendum campaign. It could never be otherwise, perhaps.

The Tories are also becoming complacent in formulating policy, careless about which sections of the public they alienate.

The Tories are going to lose their election-winning leader. The obvious replacements are all being damaged by the referendum.

If Labour do emerge with an electable leader (who could be from the left, imo) then the Tories may be in a very poor state to resist. But, of course, that's a very big if. In fact, it probably won't happen in this Parliament.

One open question is whether the Tories will succeed in tainting the Labour brand by association with Corbyn, which is something that will happen anyway, to some extent, without the Tories' help. My guess is that they will and that Labour will find it hard to close the book on Corbyn when he is gone.
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966

Whatever the options are, the worst one by far to me is being in the EEA or some "special status" (ha...) one step removed from "full EEA". That would be a disaster. But that's where I think "Leave" would leave us.

Disasterous, just being in a free trade area and not have to apply well over two thirds of the crap laws that comes out of Brussels, and not being subject to the whims of the ECJ, can't think of anything worse.

http://www.aecr.eu/less-than-10-of-norways-laws-emanate-from-brussels/
    Study finds that less than 10% of Norway’s laws came from the EU between 2000-13.
    As compared to between 50 and 70% of UK Law depending on who you believe.
    https://fullfact.org/europe/two-thirds-uk-law-made-eu/
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031

Nice if complex Venn diagram

The EU is NOT the single market. GLOBAL bodies make the rules.

#Brexit https://t.co/gWh70g7eey

I love that picture :lol:

Personally, I think we should aspire to the same position as the Vatican.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/bernie-sanderss-path-to-the-nomination/
  • Options
    Wanderer said:

Jonathan said:

One thing's for sure. All the witch hazel in the world isn't going to be sufficient balm for the bruises and wounds in the Conservative party when all this has ended.

Bruised and battered Tories, meet Jeremy Corbyn. Jeremy is the best friend you will ever have ...

It's precisely because the Conservatives don't fear Jeremy Corbyn that they feel able to behave so badly to each other. The divisions in each main party are encouraging members of the other main party to become more internally confrontational.
    Labour discipline began to fail during the weak leadership of Hague and IDS, which offered no challenge to Labour. It plants seeds that germinate later on.

The trick Labour has to pull off is to keep JC in place to maximise the space for Tory decent and then swap him for a more effective leader once the Tories have reached the point of no return.

It's already clear that the Tories are going to rip each to shreds during the referendum campaign. It could never be otherwise, perhaps.

The Tories are also becoming complacent in formulating policy, careless about which sections of the public they alienate.

The Tories are going to lose their election-winning leader. The obvious replacements are all being damaged by the referendum.

If Labour do emerge with an electable leader (who could be from the left, imo) then the Tories may be in a very poor state to resist. But, of course, that's a very big if. In fact, it probably won't happen in this Parliament.

One open question is whether the Tories will succeed in tainting the Labour brand by association with Corbyn, which is something that will happen anyway, to some extent, without the Tories' help. My guess is that they will and that Labour will find it hard to close the book on Corbyn when he is gone.
    The Conservatives are going to spend an absolute minimum of four months screaming at each other, accusing each other of unspeakable betrayals and trashing each others' integrity.

And then they're going to turn round to the public and say "vote for us".
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    GIN1138 said:

Just seen the Boris/Cameron clip.

Not exactly as advertised.

Boris asks what powers come back. Cameron says vaguely some welfare, some bailout, some immigration (nonsense) and then goes on to say the deal means we won't cede any more.

I don't think he answered Boris's question, and instead answered a different one. Yes, he did so lucidly, but it wasn't a knock out.

Indeed. Boris asks a perfectly reasonable question and Cameron (clearly tired, emotional and very rattled) waffles about his nothing "reforms".
    I watched the debate. Cameron not at all rattled. It's the Leavers on here who are rattled.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

GIN1138 said:

I think this is all going to finish up with the end of Osborne's career.

But his career is already over!

He ate a burger
    Was on a train. And a boat!

NewsSense™
    You missed cried at a funeral....
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    SeanT said:

I was right, wasn't I? About the emotional backlash against Cameron. EVEN IF HE WINS HE WILL BE HATED.

100 per cent right.
    There was a bit of wishful thinking on here about a nice referendum campaign, which I think has never happened anywhere outside Switzerland, which is preternaturally nice
    A lot of people here just forgot what losing politics feels like
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

FPT:

Charles mentioned that under Cameron's deal, we would no longer be able to sue before the ECJ against ECB power grabs (eg over clearing). If we are all subject to the same rules, wouldn't it make such power grabs more difficult as it would amount to discrimination?

Sorry to repeat myself, just trying to get my head around the regulatory side.

It won't be discrimination because the same rule book applies to everyone.

Previously on clearing - sorry to come back to this - it was discrimination because there were different rules for Euro and non-Euro countries, and the Eurozone came up with a rule saying "all Euro-denominated clearing must be in a Eurozone country". So we sued and won.

Now they can come up with a single rule, applicable to everyone, saying that "All Euro-denominated clearing must be in a Eurozone country". We protest about it, there is a period of time during which the Commission tries to reach a consensus, then there is a vote and the rule is implemented
    What's the rule on clearing US Dollars?
    Don't know. I use BBH or Wells personally ;)
  • Options
    perdix said:

GIN1138 said:

Just seen the Boris/Cameron clip.

Not exactly as advertised.

Boris asks what powers come back. Cameron says vaguely some welfare, some bailout, some immigration (nonsense) and then goes on to say the deal means we won't cede any more.

I don't think he answered Boris's question, and instead answered a different one. Yes, he did so lucidly, but it wasn't a knock out.

Indeed. Boris asks a perfectly reasonable question and Cameron (clearly tired, emotional and very rattled) waffles about his nothing "reforms".
    I watched the debate. Cameron not at all rattled. It's the Leavers on here who are rattled.

See what I mean... you have never criticised Cameron in your life. Nothing wrong with being a loyalist, just don't try and pretend otherwise.
  • Options
    @lucycthomas: .@Anna_Soubry nails Nigel Farage on what Out would look like. He admits NO single market. Means prices up,tariffs & barriers #c4news #euref
  • Options
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

FPT:

Charles mentioned that under Cameron's deal, we would no longer be able to sue before the ECJ against ECB power grabs (eg over clearing). If we are all subject to the same rules, wouldn't it make such power grabs more difficult as it would amount to discrimination?

Previously on clearing - sorry to come back to this - it was discrimination because there were different rules for Euro and non-Euro countries, and the Eurozone came up with a rule saying "all Euro-denominated clearing must be in a Eurozone country". So we sued and won.

Now they can come up with a single rule, applicable to everyone, saying that "All Euro-denominated clearing must be in a Eurozone country". We protest about it, there is a period of time during which the Commission tries to reach a consensus, then there is a vote and the rule is implemented
    Of course, it was because BNP's US dollar payments got cleared through NY that their completely legal in France where it happened transactions with Iran ended up costing them $9bn.

(Unlike @Cyclefree, I have a lot of sympathy with BNP's management. I hate countries - and organisations like the EU - that seek extra-territorial jurisdiction.)
  • Options
    Finally Trump starts to move in a touch.
  • Options
    Being abused by Trump?

It's fab, isn't it :smiley:
    rcs1000 said:

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,951

Wanderer said:

Jonathan said:

The Conservatives are going to spend an absolute minimum of four months screaming at each other, accusing each other of unspeakable betrayals and trashing each others' integrity.

You'd like that would you?

The reality is they will discuss matters (where daily more and more are deciding that the leadership has sold out the membership and possibly a majority of voters on the EU) and then continue to govern for 4 years.

When they'll probably win again.

This is the BEST time to have a debate about sovereignty - early on in a parliament, when you're in power and your leader is going anyway.
  • Options

Don't they get about a three year gap of pointing at Jeremy Corbyn and his interesting friends between the EU Ref and the next GE ?
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Jonathan said:

It shouldn't be tenable, should it? And yet...
  • Options

Wanderer said:

Jonathan said:

It shouldn't be tenable, should it? And yet...
  • Options

Mormons are the most polite and welcoming population I've ever met. Salt Lake City is delightful.

Safe, uber clean and civic.

LondonBob said:

RodCrosby said:
    Mormons.

Of course Mormons, and the fact it is a caucus, is why I think Trump's margin of victory will be smaller than it should be in Nevada.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu4y7x9LRyY
    And the skiing in Park City is awesome.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

But this refers to the section on the single market, surely, rather than specifically the single rule book on banking/fin insts.....which is actually a retrograde step reducing our powers to resist.

Why is it a retrograde step?
    Because previously we didn't have to follow the single rule book - this agreement states that we do have to.
    No it absolutely doesn't.
    Hilariously, we now have two posters - one saying that we have always had to follow the single rule book, another that we absolutely do not have to follow it after the agreement.

Which is it chaps (and chapesses)?
    ah sorry. You are right it is not easy to understand. The key bit as far as we are concerned is this:

(Edit: from the final text)

2. Union law on the banking union conferring upon the European Central Bank, the Single Resolution Board or Union bodies exercising similar functions, authority over credit institutions is applicable only to credit institutions located in Member States whose currency is the euro or in Member States that have concluded with the European Central Bank a close cooperation agreement on prudential supervision, in accordance with relevant EU rules and subject to the requirements of group and consolidated supervision and resolution.

so for the SSM, SRM we are exempt. For capital requirements, CRD IV, as the implementation mechanism of the Basel protocols, there is less of an issue.
    That only protects the role of the BoE. It doesn't protect the City from any other regulations.

Basel is a BIS agreement, not an EU agreement, so we'd need to follow anyway - it's a red herring.
  • Options
    @JohnRentoul: One of the worst parliamentary speeches at the despatch box in living memory https://t.co/QNQ3y2KNaB https://t.co/HEG1CZUg7U
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@lucycthomas: .@Anna_Soubry nails Nigel Farage on what Out would look like. He admits NO single market. Means prices up,tariffs & barriers #c4news #euref

Pfft by an average of what, 1-1.5% I am sure people are worried.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Wanderer said:

Jonathan said:

(where daily more and more are deciding that the leadership has sold out the membership and possibly a majority of voters on the EU)
    This is the bit that gives me the clue that the discussion isn't going to end neatly in June and probably won't end in 2016.
  • Options

Being abused by Trump?

It's fab, isn't it :smiley:

rcs1000 said:

Donald Trump is shaking up the political establishment in the US in a way Farage could only dream of doing here !!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Because previously we didn't have to follow the single rule book - this agreement states that we do have to.
    Hilariously, we now have two posters - one saying that we have always had to follow the single rule book, another that we absolutely do not have to follow it after the agreement.

ah sorry. You are right it is not easy to understand. The key bit as far as we are concerned is this:

2. Union law on the banking union conferring upon the European Central Bank, the Single Resolution Board or Union bodies exercising similar functions, authority over credit institutions is applicable only to credit institutions located in Member States whose currency is the euro or in Member States that have concluded with the European Central Bank a close cooperation agreement on prudential supervision, in accordance with relevant EU rules and subject to the requirements of group and consolidated supervision and resolution.

so for the SSM, SRM we are exempt. For capital requirements, CRD IV it is less clear, although as a natural extension of the Basel protocols there is less of an issue.
    By setting risk weightings, the unelected risk committee of the Bank for International Settlements is the de facto regulator for every bank in the world.
    well exactly and I have edited my post to more accurately reflect CRD IV.

now - perhaps people have a problem with the BiS and, given recent history, it is difficult to say it has worked well, but it is a completely different kettle of fish to worrying about the EU and the single rulebook, where the key exemption in the deal is that we don't have to participate in the various single resolution measures.
    The BIS, by setting the risk weighting for mortgages at 25%, even if you only owned the equity stub of a stack of mortgages, did more to cause the GFC than any other institution.
    No huge argument from me there, but we don't get to sidestep Basel III if we leave the EU...
    It's funny, isn't it. We worry a lot about MIFID, CRD IV, etc., and yet the most important regulating entity of financial services in the UK sits in Switzerland and is under no democratic oversight whatsoever.
    You have only just noticed the fundamental absurdity in the Leave argument?
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

It's also tosh; which prices? Food would likely be cheaper, for example.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Though that model assumes Sanders wins both if tied nationally and Clinton wins both narrowly if she has a clear national lead
  • Options
    Wonder what @Cromwell's liability is on Trump now...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2016
    Jonathan said:

More to the point, in a Commons vote after a Leave, the least-disruptive options (i.e. an EEA-style deal) would presumably win easily.

This is an aspect which the commentariat doesn't seem to have given any thought to, but it's potentially quite explosive if Leave wins on migration fears.
  • Options
    Charles said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

(Edit: from the final text)

so for the SSM, SRM we are exempt. For capital requirements, CRD IV, as the implementation mechanism of the Basel protocols, there is less of an issue.
    That only protects the role of the BoE. It doesn't protect the City from any other regulations.

Basel is a BIS agreement, not an EU agreement, so we'd need to follow anyway - it's a red herring.
    Quite. Admittedly I am only an historian, but this is the paragraph (immediately following the now oft quoted piece from TOPPPING) that scared me in the appallingly written document:

The single rulebook is to be applied by all credit institutions and other financial institutions in order to ensure the level-playing field within the internal market. Substantive Union law to be applied by the European Central Bank in the exercise of its functions of single supervisor, or by the Single Resolution Board or Union bodies exercising similar functions, including the single rulebook as regards prudential requirements for credit institutions or other legislative measures to be adopted for the purpose of safeguarding financial stability, may need to be conceived in a more uniform manner than corresponding rules to be applied by national authorities of Member States that do not take part in the banking union. To this end, specific provisions within the single rulebook and other relevant instruments may be necessary, while preserving the level-playing field and contributing to financial stability.
  • Options

Thanx

HYUFD said:

When are the next early hours primaries?

Nevada for the GOP is tomorrow which might declare earlier, SC for the Dems is on Saturday, Super Tuesday is next week
    Thankyou
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2016
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

so for the SSM, SRM we are exempt. For capital requirements, CRD IV it is less clear, although as a natural extension of the Basel protocols there is less of an issue.

By setting risk weightings, the unelected risk committee of the Bank for International Settlements is the de facto regulator for every bank in the world.

now - perhaps people have a problem with the BiS and, given recent history, it is difficult to say it has worked well, but it is a completely different kettle of fish to worrying about the EU and the single rulebook, where the key exemption in the deal is that we don't have to participate in the various single resolution measures.
    The BIS, by setting the risk weighting for mortgages at 25%, even if you only owned the equity stub of a stack of mortgages, did more to cause the GFC than any other institution.
    No huge argument from me there, but we don't get to sidestep Basel III if we leave the EU...
    It's funny, isn't it. We worry a lot about MIFID, CRD IV, etc., and yet the most important regulating entity of financial services in the UK sits in Switzerland and is under no democratic oversight whatsoever.
    Not as absurd as sitting here and reading the results of you rolling your face on the keyboard, Good Night!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

I'm not discussing this is the context of In/Out, merely that there is an international body, under no democratic oversight whatsover, that has incredible power over the world financial system.

And I'm not talking about Goldman Sachs.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,855
    Mortimer said:

Wanderer said:

Jonathan said:

The Tories are going to lose their election-winning leader. The obvious replacements are all being damaged by the

The reality is they will discuss matters (where daily more and more are deciding that the leadership has sold out the membership and possibly a majority of voters on the EU) and then continue to govern for 4 years.

When they'll probably win again.

This is the BEST time to have a debate about sovereignty - early on in a parliament, when you're in power and your leader is going anyway.
    And when your opponent is Jeremy Corbyn.

Anyway, it will provide us all with immense entertainment over coming months. Politics is no fun without drama.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

How do you top Galloway?

@PickardJE: Ickle adds ballast to rapidly swelling Out movement https://t.co/PtyXToamf8

Tommy Sheridan@citizentommy #EUreferendum Don't replace Westminster rule with Brussels rule #IndependenceMeansIndependence
    #LoveEuropeLeaveEU
    #Yes 2 the right 2 govern.
    https://twitter.com/citizentommy
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Though that model assumes Sanders wins both if tied nationally and Clinton wins both narrowly if she has a clear national lead
    I've taken Rod's template and will be updating the Sanders/Clinton state polls later on this evening.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

I've taken Rod's template and will be updating the Sanders/Clinton state polls later on this evening.
    Thanks
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Jonathan said:

More to the point, in a Commons vote after a Leave, the least-disruptive options (i.e. an EEA-style deal) would presumably win easily.

This is an aspect which the commentariat doesn't seem to have given any thought to, but it's potentially quite explosive if Leave wins on migration fears.
    Mr Farage will lap up all those disappointed voters that feel they got sold a pup. The Kippers might get.... 3 MPs in GE2020 :D
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Well, we own the shares and Mark Carney is on the Board...
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It's staring the commentariat in the face. For most voters a Remain or Leave vote is going to make no difference. Immigration policy will be almost entirely unaffected whichever side wins.

• Options
    RoyalBlue said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Mortimer said:

FPT:

Mortimer said:

But this refers to the section on the single market, surely, rather than specifically the single rule book on banking/fin insts.....which is actually a retrograde step reducing our powers to resist.

If you will excuse the pantomime moment - oh yes it does. It is explicit that the Single Rulebook applies to all states, eurozone or not. It says that if we do.not like something in the dingle rulebook then we can raise an objection. But it also says the Council does not have to change its decision because of the protest.
    We are signed up to CRD IV, which is the implementation method of Basel III - ie capital requirements. We have never had too much of an issue with global standards for bank capital, or have we?

As for the more contentious elements - ie SSM, SRM, then we do have exemption. As do we have exemption from other ECB laws on banking union, in the clause I have pasted now (including this one) three times:

So, contra Charles, the regulatory environment for the Eurozone and non-Euro countries will continue to be different.
    Only for the ECB vs BOE

It's basically mirroring the split between the PRA and the FCA.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Wanderer said:

Jonathan said:

(where daily more and more are deciding that the leadership has sold out the membership and possibly a majority of voters on the EU)
    This is the bit that gives me the clue that the discussion isn't going to end neatly in June and probably won't end in 2016.
    A good point - though as a Tory with a natural assumption that the MPs generally know how to solve a problem that could involve their own job security, after last week's antics I expect they'll ensure two outers on the final ballot however the vote goes.

Just for context, I have given literally thousands of hours help to the Tory party over the past 10 years. And I'm one of the more europhile members. And even I think the PM is hopeless for selling this as a victory and something worth voting for.

If he and the leadership cannot please me, they definitely cannot please the majority.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks
    I don't trust the pundits or the markets on that !
  • Options
    There is a whole bunch of Ben Carson to head into the wash from the earlier GOP state polls.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    SeanT said:

I was right, wasn't I? About the emotional backlash against Cameron. EVEN IF HE WINS HE WILL BE HATED.

I like Cameron, and even I could have called that years ago - half his party disagree with him on this one (and even with a better deal probably 1/4-1/3 would have) and many of those would end up hating him for speaking against them, particularly if he wins. One of the more predictable political happenings.
  • Options
    Finding Bonneville salt flats was a bugger, and ending up on Mountain Time. Love the place.

Though not as much as Nevada.
    rcs1000 said:

Mormons are the most polite and welcoming population I've ever met. Salt Lake City is delightful.

LondonBob said:

RodCrosby said:
    Mormons.

Of course Mormons, and the fact it is a caucus, is why I think Trump's margin of victory will be smaller than it should be in Nevada.

• Options
    Mortimer said:

Quite. Admittedly I am only an historian, but this is the paragraph (immediately following the now oft quoted piece from TOPPPING) that scared me in the appallingly written document:

The single rulebook is to be applied by all credit institutions and other financial institutions in order to ensure the level-playing field within the internal market. Substantive Union law to be applied by the European Central Bank in the exercise of its functions of single supervisor, or by the Single Resolution Board or Union bodies exercising similar functions, including the single rulebook as regards prudential requirements for credit institutions or other legislative measures to be adopted for the purpose of safeguarding financial stability, may need to be conceived in a more uniform manner than corresponding rules to be applied by national authorities of Member States that do not take part in the banking union. To this end, specific provisions within the single rulebook and other relevant instruments may be necessary, while preserving the level-playing field and contributing to financial stability.

Eek. Hadn't seen that "contributing to financial stability" was what they argued for the clearing rules
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    FPT in response to @RichardNabavi (who said this):-

"Well, I've read the text, and my interpretation is the same as that of Open Europe:

It provides an additional hurdle for Eurozone states to overcome and adds to the political cost of trying to ride roughshod over the non-Eurozone states. The principles are quite wide ranging and if the UK can actively enforce them via the courts, then further account may well be taken of them when drawing up and implementing legislation. The fact that the UK can unilaterally trigger this delaying mechanism is a useful tool – unilateral recourse exists rarely in an institution defined by compromise, especially when it comes to the single market.

Other people seem to be saying the text doesn't mean what is written in black and white on the page.

Maybe they are right, but what it says is what it says. I don't have any arguments which will ever convince people who refuse to believe what the text of the agreement says."

Continental law does not take the same approach to the interpretation of written documents as common law-trained lawyers do.

You are making the classic mistake that a lot of English people do, which is to assume that European directives and treaties and agreements and MoUs and Heads of Agreement are written and interpreted by the EU courts as they would be were they agreements between English parties being considered by Mr Justice Whoever in Court 28 in the Royal Courts of Justice in the Strand.

And they aren't. There is a very different approach taken. And you can see this in many ECJ judgments and in what has happened in the past when EU institutions have given very liberal interpretations of pretty loose and ambiguous wording in a way that would never pass muster in an English court.

And that is one reason why I'm sceptical of this "agreement" on which you place so much faith. I have seen how such "agreements" have turned out in the past. I have seen how such "agreements" are specifically drafted in an ambiguous way in order to leave the real arguments about what they really mean until later.

My scepticism has grown from my experience of dealing with some of the consequences of EU regulation and actions.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm not discussing this is the context of In/Out, merely that there is an international body, under no democratic oversight whatsover, that has incredible power over the world financial system.

And I'm not talking about Goldman Sachs.

Rothschilds?

Or :sunglasses:?
  • Options
    Wells? As in Fargo?

How very stagecoach :smiley:

Pinkertons will provide shotguns
    Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

FPT:

Charles mentioned that under Cameron's deal, we would no longer be able to sue before the ECJ against ECB power grabs (eg over clearing). If we are all subject to the same rules, wouldn't it make such power grabs more difficult al it would amount to discrimination?

• Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Is there a list of tory party MP's & their declared positions somewhere?
  • Options
    Charles said:

Mortimer said:

Eek. Hadn't seen that "contributing to financial stability" was what they argued for the clearing rules
    I'm guessing that I am right to be worried by that section, then?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Jonathan said:

I take issue with Hague's 'weak' leadership.

As a rugby coach (and the principles are the same) it would've been beyond me to take control of a side relegated to the bottom division, when no bugger wants to turn up to training, with the media labelling your side a laughing stock, and then manage to motivate the players. Hague did what he could in terribly trying circumstances, and I suspect it could've been a lot worse.

IDS's leadership was awful. A case study in reality becoming satire.

As for Labour discipline failing? They did manage - miraculously - after ten years in power, to sign-up all ten million of their MPs to Gordon Brown's coronation; backing him in ridding the world of the scourge of Blairism. Some lack of discipline that!

I still reckon Blair would've won GE2010* if Brown's superhubris hadn't gotten in the way.

*I'm in a minority of two on this one. Me and Rentoul.
  • Options
    Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

Thats only Farages version of Out. There are 56 other varieties.

And the USA has said it does not want to make FTAs with individual countries and would not conclude one with a brexited UK.
    (US trade representative, Michael Froman)
  • Options

Finding Bonneville salt flats was a bugger, and ending up on Mountain Time. Love the place.

rcs1000 said:

LondonBob said:

RodCrosby said:
    Mormons.

Did you go see my greatest work: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral_Jetty
  • Options
    British people give verdict on whether Cameron's EU migration reforms will make a difference (@Survation Feb 20) -> https://t.co/yvlYsBgf2n
  • Options
    @ianbirrell: The problems with #Brexit succinctly put last year in a German paper by, er, Boris Johnson https://t.co/AonEZIIQ6Q
  • Options
    Chris Mason
    Conservative MPs: 141 remain;
    120 leave. That leaves a total of 69 who are undecided or we've not yet heard from (via @jackcevans)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

rcs1000 said:

Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

Thanks
    I don't trust the pundits or the markets on that !
    We shall see but you may be right
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

LondonBob said:

RodCrosby said:
    Mormons.

Ha! I fell for that then..

I was thinking, geeez, how young was he when he did that!? Doh.

Dopey valleyboy.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    fpt @ Indigo

You said "Members doesn't equal voters. 300k members. 30 million voters."

You misread my post. In relation to overall policies (not the environment) I was citing the figures for Labour voters, not members. Only 7% of Labour VOTERs said that policies were too left wing. So that is the vote that is most at risk from further leftward lurches, i.e. about 2% of the total vote. So the Labour number would drop from around 29% to 27% if it lost ALL of those VOTERS.

Meanwhile, 34% of Labour VOTERS (not members, to be clear so you don't misread my post again) think that the policies are not left-wing enough.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

It's staring the commentariat in the face. For most voters a Remain or Leave vote is going to make no difference. Immigration policy will be almost entirely unaffected whichever side wins.

Rather like the creation of the Irish Free State. It makes little difference immediately. It makes a lot of difference in the long term.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078
    Interesting to look at previous leaders's succession planning as a factor in next Tory leadership market.Not much of a trend as a positive recommendation but a negative one,with all the PM's power and patronage at his disposal,can surely end a contender's ambitions.Wilson effectively destroyed Tony Benn after the 1975 euroref and Cameron can do the same to Johnson.
    Could Boris Johnson get on the list for the last 2 against some very experienced cabinet ministers if he was still on the back-benches which is surely to be his long-term home.
    The herd have backed him in to 2-1 fav for next Tory leader.Time for a contrarian lay.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Scott_P said:

@ianbirrell: The problems with #Brexit succinctly put last year in a German paper by, er, Boris Johnson https://t.co/AonEZIIQ6Q

Some very selective cropping going on in there.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

Rather like the creation of the Irish Free State. It makes little difference immediately. It makes a lot of difference in the long term.

And look what happened when the Irish Free State was created.

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Jonathan said:

Nope.

If we Leave a party will be able to put in its manifesto that ALL visitors will be treated equally, regardless of nationality.

It is a fundamental change
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Looking at the ICM series, there seems to have been no movement since January, just a slight meandering within a very tight band (40-44 vs 39-42).
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Bah, I missed that. I can't top Death Valley/Furnace Creek for amazing everything.

I must go back there, the heat, ghost towns, craters, Disney dunes, joshua trees and racing rocks. I'm a huge canyon fan - the silence and heat is fantastic.

I wonder how anyone lived in these ultra harsh places in the 1880s
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

LondonBob said:

RodCrosby said:
    Mormons.

• Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

And the USA has said it does not want to make FTAs with individual countries and would not conclude one with a brexited UK.
    So if we Leave the US won't trade with us?

Why do you post such rubbish?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2016
    Do weknow how the referendum will be counted/declared?

Could make for interesting betting if the vote is broken down into regions/constituencies.
  • Options
    There would be a reduction in the numbers who could exercise their rights under free movement if Leave were to win.

Europeans would then return to being subject to the same visa requirements as non-EU citizens, and the application of 'no recourse to public funds' restrictions would become more prevalent for EU workers here on visas.
  • Options

Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

Of course the US would sign an agreement with the UK, in the event of Brexit. We aren't Cuba.

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    chestnut said:

There would be a reduction in the numbers who could exercise their rights under free movement if Leave were to win.

Europeans would then return to being subject to the same visa requirements as non-EU citizens, and the application of 'no recourse to public funds' restrictions would become more prevalent for EU workers here on visas.

It's only anecdotal, but I know lots of EU nationals resident in London working in financial services who are getting UK citizenship as an insurance policy.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Sean_F said:

Indigo said:

Scott_P said:

Of course the US would sign an agreement with the UK, in the event of Brexit. We aren't Cuba.

A zero-agreement situation is what we currently have, so the absence of an agreement basically equals business as usual.

It's fairly probable that other NAFTA countries - Canada and Mexico - would become quickly amenable. They have pre-existing agreements with EFTA that could be replicated.

That's 150m people.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    I'm sure it's going to be fractious. Less sure it's going to mean much in the medium term.

All it's shown me (and I'll own to being nonplussed by the fact) is that I don't have a natural party to vote for at the next election.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Presumably Britons would need a visa to travel to the Continent too then?
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Bob Dole endorses Marco Rubio, with an asterisk:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/exclusive-bob-dole-endorses-marco-rubio-2016-race/story?id=37117597

"As Dole endorsed Rubio’s candidacy, the former U.S. senator from Kansas also warned of Donald Trump’s ability to win, saying he could secure the nomination if he sweeps the Super Tuesday states.

“Then I think you start printing the inaugural invitation,” Dole joked.

“If [Trump] has a good day on Super Tuesday, that's going to be hard to deny him the nomination. And if reality sets in and he's gonna start counting enough delegates, we've got to hope he'll be a good president,” he said. "

" “I'd be happy to be his adviser,” Dole added."
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    No-one cares about PMQs.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Bob Dole endorses Marco Rubio, with an asterisk:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/exclusive-bob-dole-endorses-marco-rubio-2016-race/story?id=37117597

"As Dole endorsed Rubio’s candidacy, the former U.S. senator from Kansas also warned of Donald Trump’s ability to win, saying he could secure the nomination if he sweeps the Super Tuesday states.

“Then I think you start printing the inaugural invitation,” Dole joked.

“If [Trump] has a good day on Super Tuesday, that's going to be hard to deny him the nomination. And if reality sets in and he's gonna start counting enough delegates, we've got to hope he'll be a good president,” he said. "

" “I'd be happy to be his adviser,” Dole added."

A rather muted endorsement and Dole did not help Jeb much
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

If that was the wish of the destination country.

It simply means treating Europeans the same way we treat non-Europeans. That means higher expectations with employment and self funding.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

I like Cameron, and even I could have called that years ago - half his party disagree with him on this one (and even with a better deal probably 1/4-1/3 would have) and many of those would end up hating him for speaking against them, particularly if he wins. One of the more predictable political happenings.
    The Tory party did not agree with Churchill in his wilderness years. Who was voted the Greatest Briton of all time? Should we view someone by the judgement of backbench tories.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Sean_F said:

Jonathan said:

It will be a lot less dramatic than the creation of the Irish Free State!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    edited February 2016

Jonathan said:

Nope.

If we Leave a party will be able to put in its manifesto that ALL visitors will be treated equally, regardless of nationality.

Should we vote Leave, by the time of the next GE there would be a new agreement in place, negotiated by the Conservative government, that enshrines free movement of goods, services, people and capital. The Tory Leavers and Remainers who have a chance of leading the party do not disagree on this. And they will be doing the deal.

• Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Forget Dave's response to Cameron the "who are you" is utterly classic brilliance

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/02/tory-mp-heckles-jeremy-corbyn-who-are-you/

Ms Eagle face looks like she is licking piss of a nettle.
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293
    edited February 2016
    HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

I'm sure common movement rights and common employment rights can be negotiated. They can work here, we can work there. Theyre not entitled to any public support here, and we arent entitled to any there.

Does not seem unreasonable, or even difficult to make work. We can also strip non residents (all non residents, not just from the EU) of the tax free allowance. When I worked in Australia, only residents got the tax free allowance.

There can be certain incentives. Tax free allowance would be available for certain skills. You essentially use the tax system as a means to manage migration.

Earning £14k, paying tax on £4k (£800) , getting £1,700 in child benefit and £8,500 in tax credits and child tax credits (just did the numbers on a male earner, with a wife and two children), thats around £23,100 *after income tax*.

Take the sweeties away and that £23,100 turns into £11,200.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

It simply means treating Europeans the same way we treat non-Europeans. That means higher expectations with employment and self funding.
    I'm sure that we will not require visas for EU citizens who wish to come to the UK as tourists.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

Indeed but would make it a bit more of a hassle travelling to the Costas and the Med in August, something for Remain to play on!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,220
    Charles said:

RoyalBlue said:

FPT:

And I expect something like that to happen. It will eviscerate our financial sector or push us into joining the euro. And I think it was designed exactly to do that. Win/win for the Eurozone either way.

Cameron may have commanded the Commons today (didn't see so don't know). He may have humiliated Boris etc etc. All this is good fun. But the real substance is in what happens in these oddly worded agreements where pedantic understanding of every nuance and detail is needed not performances before an audience. This is where I think Cameron has fallen down and why I think this agreement will end up meaning nothing and we will or may find in time all sorts of adverse consequences.

Cameron will be long gone by then and no-one will care, other than those of us with long experience and long memories who have experience of similar agreements and regulations and being assured by our civil servants that it doesn't mean what it says or it means something else or not to worry about it because it will never happen and then hearing from their opposite numbers in other capitals that, au contraire, it means this and the following things will happen and then seeing that, in fact, exactly those things do happen and when you go back to the English civil servants they look at you blankly or shamefacedly and admit that yes, that is right but there's nothing to be done, oh well, never mind. And this happens not once or twice but every single time.

• Options

Jonathan said:

Nope.

Should we vote Leave, by the time of the next GE there would be a new agreement in place, negotiated by the Conservative government, that enshrines free movement of goods, services, people and capital. The Tory Leavers and Remainers who have a chance of leading the party do not disagree on this. And they will be doing the deal.

Which is why all these accusations from the Remainders that we don't know what Leave would look like are rubbish. We know who will be negotiating the deal generally even if we don't know the name of the PM at that point. So we know that the Single Market freedoms either I'm actuality or in effect will be in place.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    HYUFD said:

chestnut said:

I'd expect something like the US VWP.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited February 2016
    Here's two on-topical questions:

Why should anyone be swayed in the vote by the posturing of politicians?

And---asking naively & simply, and assuming that logic is relevant---If posturing shouldn't matter, then where can one get well-expressed, honest, informative explanations of the factors that should influence his/her vote?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

chestnut said:

HYUFD said:

I'm sure that we will not require visas for EU citizens who wish to come to the UK as tourists.
    Yes, for many instances it's little more than a passport stamp.

The stamp gives an entry duration and the particular wording indicates the terms of entry, permitted length of stay and right of access to public services/funds.

• Options
    106-year-old Virginia McLaurin fulfills her dream of visiting the White House and meeting President Obama

https://www.facebook.com/WhiteHouse/videos/10154121494004238/?fref=nf
  • Options
    @afneil: Had private briefing by Republican insiders: if Trump beats Cruz in Texas (March 1st) and Rubio in Florida (15th) then Trump wins nomination
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Nope.

Which is why all these accusations from the Remainders that we don't know what Leave would look like are rubbish. We know who will be negotiating the deal generally even if we don't know the name of the PM at that point. So we know that the Single Market freedoms either I'm actuality or in effect will be in place.

Absolutely right. For most people a Remain or Leave result will make very little difference. It's a lot of shouting over relatively little.

This discussion has been closed.