Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Boris backs Brexit but will it have an impact if he’s not g

Comments

• Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

Great to see there will be no Bush Mk III in the White House come next January. Now its time to ensure that there won't be a Clinton there too. Assuming the Republican side comes down to Rubio Trump, what's the best guess for how Cruz's voters would transfer to Rubio and Trump - 60:40 in Rubio's favour?

It will not come down to Rubio v Trump, as Rubio will suspend his campaign three weeks on Tuesday when Trump beats him in Florida. Cruz will likely win Texas, Arkansas and a few other states on Super Tuesday which will be enough to set up a straight contest with Trump lasting until the end of April
    That will suit Trump far better I would have thought, as enough Rubio voters will transfer to him, in order to hold Cruz at bay.

Well we can't say politics is going to be dull in 2016 now. The next 4 months are mouthwatering, and Hillary Trump would be fireworks for sure. Then there is 2017, the political year from hell with a real prospect that Marine Le Pen could win the French presidency if as I suspect the sovereign bond crisis has spread to France in the eurozone by then, and we also have German elections in a highly volatile climate too.

Rcs1000 poured cold water on the 8.6 x 6 = 51.6 year political cycle. In France that comes up in 2019 after the previous peak with the soixante huitards as they came to be known in 1968. For the UK our cycle took in the 1926 general strike and the 1979 winter of discontent near enough on that cycle, which suggests that things could be tasty here around 2030 to put it mildly.
  • Options
    Boris does shoot down one key line of Project Fear's attack tactics. We have had examples on here and the Alan Johnson line which I will paraphrase as "the undateables".
    "The Leave folk look a bit odd, sub standard, thick, unattractive, not normal, almost defective, possibly bordering on special needs"

How can they use that with Boris part of the team? Killing off an attack line in almost one fell swoop.
  • Options
    Plato_SaysPlato_Says Posts: 11,822
    StrongerIn are dreadful. They seem obsessed with their rivals rather than making their own case.

And when they do, it's ludicrous assertions.

They need to get a grip and some serious PR help.
    MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

'If only we all had Hungarian heated swimming pools, earned 20x the aver salary and voted for greenie parties. And thought rural people should pay extra and farming was unnecessary.'

You missed out the million pound apartment in Shoreditch, a salary not driven down by mass immigration, no kids to run the state school lottery & if the NHS is not great loads of money for private treatment

This is what LEAVE looks like.
    No wonder waverers are repulsed even when they think LEAVE might be right.
    Roundheads.
    I found Mr Meeks's original comment - clearly directed at Theresa Villiers - was pretty immature. Remain like to portray themselves as being on the moral high ground. They're doing a good job at undermining that position at the moment.
    I sense panic amongst the Europhiles. No positive case for remaining just insulting those advocating leaving the EU and scaremongering or outright lying in some cases.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I think when people quote Boris' favourability rating, they ignore the fact that Boris is not running a department. People outside London have a view of him shaped only by the media.

What does the people of Liverpool think of him ?

This is why Boris will not put himself at the front and centre of the Leave campaign. He's calculated what's best for him politically, now he'll leave it to others to do the heavy lifting in set-piece interviews, debates etc.

• Options
    EPG said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

'If only we all had Hungarian heated swimming pools, earned 20x the aver salary and voted for greenie parties. And thought rural people should pay extra and farming was unnecessary.'

You missed out the million pound apartment in Shoreditch, a salary not driven down by mass immigration, no kids to run the state school lottery & if the NHS is not great loads of money for private treatment

Roundheads.
    I found Mr Meeks's original comment - clearly directed at Theresa Villiers - was pretty immature. Remain like to portray themselves as being on the moral high ground. They're doing a good job at undermining that position at the moment.
    Neither side has high ground
    REMAIN is explicitly basing its campaign on terrifying people into voting status, which ceded the high ground immediately, like the 2015 Conservative campaign
    OTOH, our LEAVE friends saw something they didn't like and jumped right into anti-establishementTrumpianism
    When the mood is running so strongly anti-government, that's a perfectly good position to take as Mr Trump has shown. And everyone in the American establishment, and certain voices on here have shown just how out of touch they are with reality by predicting his demise at every turn. Just before the exit polls came out in South Carolina in the hour before midnight on here was comical last night!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Roger said:

Watching the Tories eat themselves will be the most entertainment the centre left have had since the election. Quite why Boris has chosen to swap a sparkling political future for a one way ticket to Palooka-ville is a mystery. But the fact that he has is close to a certainty. Osborne might be the luckiest politician alive

The self destruction of the Tories does threaten popcorn shortage!

But Boris entered Palookaville in May when Dave won a majority. His fox was shot at that point.
  • Options
    Does anyone remember that program on Channel 4 about the first 100 days of a UKIP government? Are they going to do another about the first 100 days ater a vote to leave the EU?
    A general feeling of jollity in the nation, street parties, etc, the devious (deviant) Europhiles packing their bags to go live in the EU - go on Channel 4 and Jon Snow, you know you want to!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited February 2016

FPT

Alistair Meeks said

"The chief spokesmen and women for Leave look like the extended Addams Family. Of course Remain are going to draw attention to the carnival freakshow aspect of their opponents"

You clearly have an extremely low opinion of the public if you think that is going to be a deciding factor.

In case you missed it we are all freaks. Well except TSE who is some kind of Indo-European god incarnate.

Even as someone leaning towards Leave, I think the personalities leading the campaigns will make a difference to how many people vote. Let's face it, most people don't make their decisions based on a cold rational look at the facts alone; it's natural if you don't have the time/inclination to look at the issues in huge detail that you use people you like and trust as a proxy. If a friend recommends I go to a certain place on holiday, and I know them to have good taste, then I will consider it more seriously.

I think Boris helps Leave a bit, since whatever people think of him, they don't see him as a miserable, old-fashioned crackpot - which IS the public perception of Farage/UKIP. But they are still badly lacking someone who can reassure the public that leaving isn't risky, and someone who can win tribal Labour voters (as I keep banging on about, there are many traditional Labour voters who in isolation might well agree with most of Leave's arguments, but will nonetheless tell you that their parents would "turn in their graves" if they were to ever vote Tory--so many won't vote Leave if they perceive it to be a Tory-only affair).
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

surbiton said:

I think when people quote Boris' favourability rating, they ignore the fact that Boris is not running a department. People outside London have a view of him shaped only by the media.

This is why Boris will not put himself at the front and centre of the Leave campaign. He's calculated what's best for him politically, now he'll leave it to others to do the heavy lifting in set-piece interviews, debates etc.

Quite right. Apart from anything else Boris is quite lazy.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

StrongerIn are dreadful. They seem obsessed with their rivals rather than making their own case.

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    I sense panic amongst the Europhiles. No positive case for remaining just insulting those advocating leaving the EU and scaremongering or outright lying in some cases.
    BSE's campaign director Lucy Thomas is seriously out of her depth. I saw her on Sky News earlier talking complete rubbish about Norway and access to the single market. What is particularly infuriating is even after BSE have been proved wrong time and time again they will continue to spout nonsense. 3.10 mins in Robert Oulds from the Bruges Group completely destroys her. Thomas' knowledge of the EU is clearly limited to whatever soundbites she has been told to repeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pQB2i-bdd0
  • Options
    notmenotme Posts: 3,293

Roger said:

Watching the Tories eat themselves will be the most entertainment the centre left have had since the election. Quite why Boris has chosen to swap a sparkling political future for a one way ticket to Palooka-ville is a mystery. But the fact that he has is close to a certainty. Osborne might be the luckiest politician alive

But Boris entered Palookaville in May when Dave won a majority. His fox was shot at that point.
    It hasnt really happened though. They're on different sides, and it looked like it might get a bit dicey, but so far there doesnt seem to be the tory splits on europe narrative that has characterised the Conservatives for the last twenty five years.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited February 2016
    notme said:

Roger said:

It hasnt really happened though. They're on different sides, and it looked like it might get a bit dicey, but so far there doesnt seem to be the tory splits on europe narrative that has characterised the Conservatives for the last twenty five years.
    Well Boris isn't advocating out out, he is advocating out, better deal, in...vs Cameron I got a better deal, in.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Quite right. Apart from anything else Boris is quite lazy.
    As one actuary once said to me, 'laziness is my greatest asset'. I thought he was mad to say that at first, but when I thought about it a bit more I could see the sense in it. I personally abhor inefficiency, and am not one to stay around long hours if possible. Get the job done and get it done in good time I say!

Hoping for some fireworks from the Rocket now to down the Thunder from down under. Come on Ronnie! Great sportmanship from Robertson in the final frame this afternoon to point out the three misses rule.....respect.
  • Options
    How not to hold party unity together.

SKY
    Stating that Cameron aides are describing Boris as "stabbing the PM in the back".

Bitter? Teenage tantrums?
  • Options
    notme said:

Roger said:

Still 4 months to go
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,184
    hunchman said:

Does anyone remember that program on Channel 4 about the first 100 days of a UKIP government? Are they going to do another about the first 100 days ater a vote to leave the EU?
    A general feeling of jollity in the nation, street parties, etc, the devious (deviant) Europhiles packing their bags to go live in the EU - go on Channel 4 and Jon Snow, you know you want to!

Actually, I suspect the first 100 days would be an orgy of hard work as (a) we would then need to work out what relationship we would have with the EU, and then after that (b) civil servants and politicians rushed to negotiate new trade deals and to draft new legislation to take over from the point when - two years later - we were officially free.

While there would be hope in the air, there would also be trepidation.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    Err the Roundheads won didn't they ?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited February 2016
    notme said:

but so far there doesnt seem to be the tory splits on europe narrative that has characterised the Conservatives for the last twenty five years.

SKY
    Stating that Cameron aides are describing Boris as "stabbing the PM in the back".

Talk about tempting fate :p
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    BSE's campaign director Lucy Thomas is seriously out of her depth. I saw her on Sky News earlier talking complete rubbish about Norway and access to the single market. What is particularly infuriating is even after BSE have been proved wrong time and time again they will continue to spout nonsense. 3.10 mins in Robert Oulds from the Bruges Group completely destroys her. Thomas' knowledge of the EU is clearly limited to whatever soundbites she has been told to repeat.

The Leave campaign need to bang the message again and again about Norway and Switzerland being the two richest countries in Europe, and keep their campaign as positive as possible about the sunlit uplands outside of the EU. Boris mentioned that phrase this afternoon, we need much more of it from leave.
  • Options
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    I had a similar thought a week or so ago. AFAIK she comes from Roland Rudd's team and was placed as a SPAD inside this Govt to prepare for the Remain campaign.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,207
    hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

Great to see there will be no Bush Mk III in the White House come next January. Now its time to ensure that there won't be a Clinton there too. Assuming the Republican side comes down to Rubio Trump, what's the best guess for how Cruz's voters would transfer to Rubio and Trump - 60:40 in Rubio's favour?

It will not come down to Rubio v Trump, as Rubio will suspend his campaign three weeks on Tuesday when Trump beats him in Florida. Cruz will likely win Texas, Arkansas and a few other states on Super Tuesday which will be enough to set up a straight contest with Trump lasting until the end of April
    That will suit Trump far better I would have thought, as enough Rubio voters will transfer to him, in order to hold Cruz at bay.

Well we can't say politics is going to be dull in 2016 now. The next 4 months are mouthwatering, and Hillary Trump would be fireworks for sure. Then there is 2017, the political year from hell with a real prospect that Marine Le Pen could win the French presidency if as I suspect the sovereign bond crisis has spread to France in the eurozone by then, and we also have German elections in a highly volatile climate too.

Rcs1000 poured cold water on the 8.6 x 6 = 51.6 year political cycle. In France that comes up in 2019 after the previous peak with the soixante huitards as they came to be known in 1968. For the UK our cycle took in the 1926 general strike and the 1979 winter of discontent near enough on that cycle, which suggests that things could be tasty here around 2030 to put it mildly.
    Yes, facing Cruz is ideal for Trump. Populists everywhere as you say, Trump, Le Pen, Sanders, Corbyn, Wilders Leave, will be an anti establishment mood everywhere for the next couple of elections, though the establishment will probably scrape home battered and bruised in each case in the end!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

Actually, I suspect the first 100 days would be an orgy of hard work as (a) we would then need to work out what relationship we would have with the EU, and then after that (b) civil servants and politicians rushed to negotiate new trade deals and to draft new legislation to take over from the point when - two years later - we were officially free.

I think in reality we would be bogged down in trade talks for years.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.

The Leave campaign need to bang the message again and again about Norway and Switzerland being the two richest countries in Europe, and keep their campaign as positive as possible about the sunlit uplands outside of the EU. Boris mentioned that phrase this afternoon, we need much more of it from leave.
    Norway is rich because it is a petro-state.

Focus on Switzerland.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited February 2016

surbiton said:

He is entitled to think we ought to leave the eu without committing to tramping the country to argue so. All govt ministers still have their jobs to do as well. They will get plenty opportunity to display their otherwise loyalty in parliament as well.

What Boris has not done other than a generality is suggest where we ought to go, how we sensibly get there and define just what the end term difference will really be.
    The Sunday Times Business quotes the city as being releived ar the outcome of the negotiations and satisfied with the safeguards and that 50 of the FTSE100 leaders will be writing an official letter of support for continued membership.
    David Smith the Sunday Times Economics Editor confirms that immigration has a net economic benefit and that net migration from the EU is lower than other migration and that of the (larger) remainder a significant part is students here to study.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,162

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    EPG taking a most cavalier attitude.....
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,629
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

Absolutely. First 5 years would be an orgy of hard work let alone 100 days. It would be an uphill slog, but the reward imo is nothing less than national survival.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

That depends on a lot what Kasich does.

By the way, what is Trump's view on health care ? I know he has sound bites against Obamacare but what if "Universal care" is mentioned.

What is Trump's position on Israel ? Same as every other US politician ?
  • Options
    edited February 2016

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    EPG taking a most cavalier attitude.....
    Not only did they win, they modified the state, advanced individual rights, and laid the foundations for the Britsih Empire.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

By the way, what is Trump's view on health care ? I know he has sound bites against Obamacare but what if "Universal care" is mentioned.

He is going to get Mexico to pay for American universal health care ;-)
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.

BSE is a very unfortunate set of initials really!
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.

Focus on Switzerland.
    Actually technically Luxembourg is the richest nation in Europe and has been in the EU/EEC since its foundation
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.

Focus on Switzerland.
    Wouldn't Liechtenstein or Andorra be better ? Or, why not make the UK part of Jersey ?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,108

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    I don't think Boris could ever be characterised as a Roundhead. Ditto Galloway and Farage. If you do want to characterise this as Roundheads vs Cavaliers, then (with the exception of Gove) on bon vivant grounds, one would assign Cavalier to LEAVE and Roundhead to REMAIN.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @hunchman

'The Leave campaign need to bang the message again and again about Norway and Switzerland being the two richest countries in Europe, and keep their campaign as positive as possible about the sunlit uplands outside of the EU.'

Or maybe just ask how countries like Australia & Canada can be so prosperous & safe outside the EU ?

• Options
    viewcode said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    I don't think Boris could ever be characterised as a Roundhead. Ditto Galloway and Farage. If you do want to characterise this as Roundheads vs Cavaliers, then (with the exception of Gove) on bon vivant grounds, one would assign Cavalier to LEAVE and Roundhead to REMAIN.
    I didn't characterise Leave as Roundheads, read the thread.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited February 2016
    To all those on PB who think the Tories are done for over the EU Ref..they could split..engage in bloody warfare..eat each others dead bodies on the battlefield..crap them out..eat them again.. crap them out... and still beat Corbyn in 2020
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.

Focus on Switzerland.
    With its 25% immigrant population.
    Focus on us staying in the single market and common standards and free movement of labour and people. Focus on Norways 15% immigrant population.
    Focus on being in the EEA is not much different to being in the EU.
    Why is it only I am offering a coherent option for us out of the EU.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    john_zims said:

@hunchman

'The Leave campaign need to bang the message again and again about Norway and Switzerland being the two richest countries in Europe, and keep their campaign as positive as possible about the sunlit uplands outside of the EU.'

Or maybe just ask how countries like Australia & Canada can be so prosperous & safe outside the EU ?

Canada is another bad example. They have huge oil wealth amongst other things. Australia boom was driven by mining.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    Bone, Grayling, Gove, IDS, Carswell, Field, Hoey are all Roundheads, Farage and Galloway and Boris Cavaliers. Cameron and Osborne and Alan Johnson are Cavaliers, Javid, Sturgeon, Hammond, Corbyn, May Roundheads
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820

How not to hold party unity together.

SKY

Bitter? Teenage tantrums?

Don't know - but it demeans Cameron to stoop to such puerile tantrums. Hope he keeps it up.
  • Options

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    I had a similar thought a week or so ago. AFAIK she comes from Roland Rudd's team and was placed as a SPAD inside this Govt to prepare for the Remain campaign.
    She is an embarrassment.
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited February 2016

surbiton said:

The Sunday Times Business quotes the city as being releived ar the outcome of the negotiations and satisfied with the safeguards and that 50 of the FTSE100 leaders will be writing an official letter of support for continued membership. ......
    Will that include the companies controlled by the Government? Also the ones with very low corporation tax payments etc etc. In the current climate any major company considering entering the political sphere needs to ensure it has a squeaky clean image and a great record in paying tax and delivering customer service. People such as British Gas etc need to stay away.
  • Options
    That's an excellent piece, albeit with one thing I wouldn't agree on. Sarah says "But though Swiss exporters must meet EU standards when selling to the EU (just as they must meet Japanese standards when selling to Japan), they generally don’t apply those standards to their domestic economy" - the amount of manufacturing in Switzerland that is just for domestic consumption, and don't enter cross-border trade at some point must be miniscule.

I was involved in the creation of a very exciting energy storage company a couple of years ago. There was one global product because making 30,000 of one design was a lot cheaper than making three different production runs of 10,000 units. Whenever you buy a piece of electronics, on the bottom it has a bunch of different certifications - FCC, CE, etc. It's incredibly unlikely you'll find one that has FCC, but not CE, and vice versa.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

Kasich will stay in until Super Tuesday but even if he did not Rubio will not get enough second preferences to close the gap with Trump to nothing. Trump is anti Obamacare but relatively moderate on healthcare as a whole, he is pro Israel but not fanatically so
  • Options
    surbiton said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    She is an embarrassment.
    As a Leave supporter I think she should handle all the difficult interviews.
  • Options

To all those on PB who think the Tories are done for over the EU Ref..they could split..engage in bloody warfare..eat each others dead bodies on the battlefield..crap them out..eat them again.. crap them out... and still beat Corbyn in 2020

This is true.

The really big civil war may still be to come though given that there is no agreed Brexit strategy. Do all Tory Outers have the same aims?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,086

Maybe so. My concern is what they will look like and what they will do post referendum. They could be a lot worse for the country than at present.
  • Options
    In terms of his leadership ambitions, I don't think Boris has done himself any good with his dithering. The contrast with Michael Gove is very marked. Irrespective of which side of the Leave/Remain argument one leans, Boris looks either like someone who can't make a decision, or (worse still) like someone interested primarily on his career.
  • Options
    john_zims said:

@hunchman

Check out the Australia export mix here: http://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/aus/

We're not a good comparison.

Canada has a somewhat more balanced economy, but its biggest export (as with Norway) is oil.

Switzerland should be the model we compare ourselves to.
  • Options

This is true.

The really big civil war may still be to come though given that there is no agreed Brexit strategy. Do all Tory Outers have the same aims?

No more than all remainers would have the same aims I should think.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    rcs1000 said:

That's an excellent piece, albeit with one thing I wouldn't agree on. Sarah says "But though Swiss exporters must meet EU standards when selling to the EU (just as they must meet Japanese standards when selling to Japan), they generally don’t apply those standards to their domestic economy" - the amount of manufacturing in Switzerland that is just for domestic consumption, and don't enter cross-border trade at some point must be miniscule.

I was involved in the creation of a very exciting energy storage company a couple of years ago. There was one global product because making 30,000 of one design was a lot cheaper than making three different production runs of 10,000 units. Whenever you buy a piece of electronics, on the bottom it has a bunch of different certifications - FCC, CE, etc. It's incredibly unlikely you'll find one that has FCC, but not CE, and vice versa.
    That is true even in less high tech industries. Most new Zealand is halal, because it is easier to get some bloke to read a few words and open up the whole world market from a single facility than have two separate slaughter facilities.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,216

In terms of his leadership ambitions, I don't think Boris has done himself any good with his dithering. The contrast with Michael Gove is very marked. Irrespective of which side of the Leave/Remain argument one leans, Boris looks either like someone who can't make a decision, or (worse still) like someone interested primarily on his career.

For once I agree with you. Do you think Gove has ambitions to be leader?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.

Focus on Switzerland.
    Actually technically Luxembourg is the richest nation in Europe and has been in the EU/EEC since its foundation
    Luxembourg is a microstate. It would be like comparing the UK to Monaco.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    SeanT said:

so far today REMAINIANS have complained about Boris showboating and milking the media. Now they simultaneously say he's lying low and foolishly uncommitted.

Lol. They're frit.

|Yes Cameron is FRIT of debating with Farage - funny attitude to take when he said he would strive with all his might for a Remain vote.

Osborne is frit of the dangers of leaving the EU - danger = opportunity.

I'm calling them "THE FRIT TWINS" - might make a good book out of that.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

hunchman said:

I suspect Cruz's base would tend to slide to Rubio first but I've no absolute evidence.

Rubio's bigger issue is that Trump is fighting him for a decent segment of the GOP vote, your workaday Republicans. There is this idea that Trump somehow isn't getting some very regular, everyday GOP voters but he clearly hasn't invented a completely new batch of people.

Rubio needs to take some of them away.
    I am just waiting for Trump to attack Rubio. He has taken care of Carson, Cruz, Bush.... Rubio must be next in line.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,218
    welshowl said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.

They don't stand a chance against the Campaign for Justice and Democracy.
  • Options
    weejonnie said:

SeanT said:

so far today REMAINIANS have complained about Boris showboating and milking the media. Now they simultaneously say he's lying low and foolishly uncommitted.

Lol. They're frit.

|Yes Cameron is FRIT of debating with Farage - funny attitude to take when he said he would strive with all his might for a Remain vote.

Boris is smart. By being Out, but not too loudly Out, he can be the unity candidate after a narrow In, and well as being the leading candidate in the event of an Out.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,930

You don't think the Gove/Johnson partnership could be quite a powerful combination (Gove the brains, Johnson the "front man") then?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited February 2016
    OK I feel like facing a dilemma that I never imagined and genuinely no longer know how to vote or who to support. I'm feeling turned off by everyone.

I can't stand the argument to stay in the EU so that Parliament can't decide on social issues and we keep unproductive socialist 'rights'. Parliament should be sovereign.
    I can't stand the argument to leave the EU to stop immigration, I think reciprocal free movement between developed economies is a good thing.

I've despised "obsessed about Europe" Tories since the 90's. I couldn't stand IDS or Redwood. I could never imagine wanting to Leave. But Gove's leave argument was very convincing and well written and I really am not sure whether or why I want to Remain anymore.

Ultimately I am currently thinking that the absolute worst case scenario is a narrow Remain win that keeps this like an open sore. Better either a Remain landslide (over 60%) or any Leave victory that makes Parliament sovereign and closes this once and for all. I'm genuinely no longer sure which I prefer though.

Feels very weird not to be sure how to vote during a campaign.
  • Options

This is true.

But Brexit would have to be negotiated immediately. What will the position be on freedom of movement, for example? We know what it will be if we stay. Boris dors not seem to have a problem with it and wants a free trade deal with the EU that has more protection for the City, which also supports free movement. Is that what we get if he is PM? Does the Tory right support that, let alone UKIP?

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited February 2016

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

Would it be that hard to pull the EFTA agreements off the shelf, approach the same partners they have, strike the same/similar deals - except with the EU?

With the EU, they'd have to have a rethink given their substantial profit from dealing with us.
  • Options

welshowl said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.

They don't stand a chance against the Campaign for Justice and Democracy.
    The best one is the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. You take your pick which one you want.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2016

Gerard Lyons ‎@DrGerardLyons
    "3/ Chief Exec of CityUK praised the deal ... I am on the board of CityUK & thought deal far from what City wanted or needed"

Yes, but for the most part the deal has been well received by the City.

What we really need is a heavyweight report by City lawyers on the effect on the City of the three options (Remain, Leave/EEA, Leave/Something else). I expect there will be some such reports over the next couple of months.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Off topic. I thought the ocluous rift was expensive at $650. HTC vive is 800 big ones....
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

They should not assume they will be facing Corbyn. Imo they probably will but I wouldn't put it any more strongly than that and there are knowledgeable Labour people - eg Henry G Manson on here a few weeks ago - who think he'll be replaced.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Maybe so. My concern is what they will look like and what they will do post referendum. They could be a lot worse for the country than at present.
    We are at Feb 2016. Election is May 2020. How many of Harold Wilsons long weeks is that. Between now and June is a blip. As for splits, there is ample opportunity for that in households all across the country. To be fair, my wife who normally takes a different line to me, is quite sympathetic to Cameron over this.
    The sense of certanty among so many on PB is quite laughable to behold. There are so many mind readers and futurologists that you should all get together and work out an act for Las Vegas.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2016
    weejonnie said:

SeanT said:

Lol. They're frit.

If I were advising Dave, I'd say go for it with Farage. Make it a big centrepiece of the campaign - a week before the vote.

one on one.

Prime minister vs fruitcake.

Advice for the leavers; keep Farage in the pub. He can do "strategy" or something.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2016
    GIN1138 said:

You don't think the Gove/Johnson partnership could be quite a powerful combination (Gove the brains, Johnson the "front man") then?
    Yes, but I was talking about Boris' leadership ambitions.

On the referendum itself, Boris is obviously an asset to Leave. However, he'd have been more of an asset if he didn't look motivated by his leadership ambitions.
  • Options

This is true.

But Brexit would have to be negotiated immediately. What will the position be on freedom of movement, for example? We know what it will be if we stay. Boris dors not seem to have a problem with it and wants a free trade deal with the EU that has more protection for the City, which also supports free movement. Is that what we get if he is PM? Does the Tory right support that, let alone UKIP?

LEAVE has many policy variations within it. Starting from Little Englander to just protecting the City [ or, more precisely, giving it an unfair advantage ]
  • Options
    chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

Would it be that hard to pull the EFTA agreements off the shelf, approach the same partners they have, strike the same/similar deals - except with the EU?

The easiest, and simplest, option is for us to go "Full EFTA". That is, we'd rejoin EFTA, and with it all of its existing trade agreements - with the EU, Canada, etc.

The next easiest would be for us to go the Swiss route, and negotiate bilateral treaties with the EU like Switzerland has done. This would be harder, as there there would be a lot of 'one on one' discussions with the EU, and it could take a long, long time.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,917
    edited February 2016
    Ken Clark or Boris? Everyone loves a clown but unless people treat this referendum as a trip to the circus when it comes to trusting the judgement of the respective sides the amiable and always reasonable Ken will trump Boris every day of the week.

Alistaire Meeks is right. The team line-ups look like Respected Public Figures V The Mavericks and the more high profile chancers like Boris that join the more oddball the Maverics seem.

The Maastricht Rebels were a perfect template for this. All we remember is a man in a funny striped jacket and a strange short lady surrounded by some seriously odd grinning blokes. I daresay they were all serious but collectively they came across as a freak-show

This isn't a reflection on the wit and wisdom of Boris it's just that most people see him as a joke. Joining a team with players seen as weird and even slightly sinister like Gove Farage IDS and Galloway makes them collectively look like Maastricht Rebels MK2
  • Options

This is true.

Be perfect for me.
  • Options

This is true.

Really you're just trolling and it sticks out a mile.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,021
    Maybe it's just me, but I hope that ministers haven't been deciding which way to lean based on how it would impact their leadership prospects. Country first and all that.
  • Options
    Boris 4 PM!
    Boris 4 PM!
    Boris 4 PM!
  • Options
    chestnut said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

With the EU, they'd have to have a rethink given their substantial profit from dealing with us.
    In theory you would think it would be possible, but Unfortunately as we know all too well these things always get bogged down. Would make Cameron latest eu panto look quick & easy.
  • Options

This is true.

Fair enough. If you don't have an answer so be it.

• Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Big worry for Labour is that it now feels there's a genuine opposition leader and it's Bojo.

Bojo for me in no lose position. Brexit wins, he's next leader and PM. We vote stay, Cameron has to reunite Tory party, therefore has to give Boris big job, Boris still most popular politician in the country who stands up for his principles.
  • Options
    Eurosport's David Duffield has died aged 84 RIP
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,079

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    They won.
    Then a decade later people got sick of them, and they went back to the way things were, apparently for ever
  • Options
    RobD said:

Maybe it's just me, but I hope that ministers haven't been deciding which way to lean based on how it would impact their leadership prospects. Country first and all that.

Politicians doing what is best for their careers over the best for the country....never I say never happens...
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

hunchman said:

MP_SE said:

MP_SE said:

tlg86 said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.

Focus on Switzerland.
    Luxembourg is a microstate. It would be like comparing the UK to Monaco.
    It is a sovereign nation regardless with almost 20 times the population of Monaco and Norway and Switzerland are not exactly big nations either
  • Options
    surbiton said:

This is true.

LEAVE has many policy variations within it. Starting from Little Englander to just protecting the City [ or, more precisely, giving it an unfair advantage ]
    Which is why I point out that a Leave vote would just be the beginning of chaotic splits
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    edited February 2016
    saddo said:

Big worry for Labour is that it now feels there's a genuine opposition leader and it's Bojo.

Bojo for me in no lose position. Brexit wins, he's next leader and PM. We vote stay, Cameron has to reunite Tory party, therefore has to give Boris big job, Boris still most popular politician in the country who stands up for his principles.

Boris always takes a principled stand for whatever Boris calculates as most helpful to Boris.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Ken Clark or Boris? Everyone loves a clown but unless people treat this referendum as a trip to the circus when it comes to trusting the judgement of the respective sides the amiable and always reasonable Ken will trump Boris every day of the week.

You could have said the same in 2008 and 2012 with a different Ken.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I think people are missing something. The UK population is more eurosceptic than its political elite.

You take away the fear factor and leave has a chance. Don't take it away, it doesn't matter who is running Leave, it won't succeed.
  • Options

RobD said:

Politicians doing what is best for their careers over the best for the country....never I say never happens...
    An upstanding Tory would never do such a thing ;)
  • Options
    surbiton said:

This is true.

There is nothing unfair proposed.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

For once I agree with you. Do you think Gove has ambitions to be leader?
    No, I don't (and he's on record as saying he doesn't).

But, who knows? If it is Leave, the party and the political landscape will look very different, and as someone who is a sane Leaver, highly regarded by the Cameroon tendency, he'd be a potential unifying figure and someone credible to lead the exit negotiations.
  • Options

This is true.

Be perfect for me.

Yep, it seems a good part of the Tory Out side is focused on looking after the City and is not that concerned about limiting free movement of people. Boris is certainly in that camp, as are a few on here. They could probably get a Brexit deal done pretty quickly. Msybe it wouldn't even end up as a full Brexit. But my guess is that this would not meet with universal approval, to say the least, on the Out side.

• Options

surbiton said:

This is true.

What's wrong with giving the city an unfair advantage? Isn't it the same as a country lowering corporation tax, for instance?
  • Options
    WandererWanderer Posts: 3,838

Will this dithering episode seem important by the time of the leadership election? All the candidates will have weaknesses. Is this one critical in someone who undeniably cuts through to swing voters?

(I'm very interested in the question of Boris's prospects. He's come in on Betfair of course, was actually favourite a few minutes ago. That's market overreaction I think. But he has surely done himself *some* good today?

I am currently mildly red on a Boris win. Would be interested to know what long-term Boris layers think about his latest antics.)
  • Options

This is true.

No more than you do.

Post a remain vote as is likely do you stop UK relationship dead or when the Commsssion press on with ever closer union some remainers push will for joining and while others regret voting remain as it wasn't what they were promised.

Both sides have fairly broad churches and it;s pretty daft to say there is one answer which sums either side.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited February 2016

"3/ Chief Exec of CityUK praised the deal ... I am on the board of CityUK & thought deal far from what City wanted or needed"

What we really need is a heavyweight report by City lawyers on the effect on the City of the three options (Remain, Leave/EEA, Leave/Something else). I expect there will be some such reports over the next couple of months.
    Does anybody really know? Many experts said the decision to stay out of the euro was curtains for the City, and the opposite happened.

There are risks for coming out (not being in the EU) and staying in (The EU wants to destroy the City).

for me the risks of staying in outweigh the risks of coming out. Its a leap in the dark either way.
  • Options
    EPG said:

EPG said:

john_zims said:

@Plato_Says

Roundheads.
    They won.
    Then a decade later people got sick of them, and they went back to the way things were, apparently for ever
    yeah your knowledge of history isn;t that great.
  • Options
    RobD said:

surbiton said:

This is true.

What's wrong with giving the city an unfair advantage? Isn't it the same as a country lowering corporation tax, for instance?
    I don't see what's unfair about that either. Every country should have the freedom to lower taxes and high taxes are not inately fair. This idea of lowest socialist denominator with anything else being unfair is sclerotic and ludicrous ... plus it ignores the fact the world exists outside the EU's borders.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,249

There have been loads of such reports already. They ping into my inbox on a daily basis.

• Options

This is true.

No more than you do.

Post a remain vote as is likely do you stop UK relationship dead or when the Commsssion press on with ever closer union some remainers push will for joining and while others regret voting remain as it wasn't what they were promised.

Both sides have fairly broad churches and it;s pretty daft to say there is one answer which sums either side.

Hence the possibility of a major row on the Leave side over Brexit terms. I do, indeed, have no idea. Neither does anyone else. And no-one can provide a definitive answer. The day after a Remain vote we will know exactly where we are. The day after a Leave vote we will have no clue at all.

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    It seems that Boris made the right choice, every PB tory is chanting Boris for PM.
This discussion has been closed.