Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Back at Westminster the wait continues

Comments

• Options
    SeanT said:

Have you ever read Charles Bukowski ?

I've just had a thought that your squat living drugs and drink era had items of common with Bukowski.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Moses_ said:

I liked The Novelist Arnold Bennet

In one of his novels he took 4 pages to describe a small building in a farm yard. ( can't remember which one now?)

They even named an omelette after him
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/arnoldbennettishomel_93629

Thomas Hardy's Far from the Madding crowd was most enjoyable as well though I really don't do love stories.

His "the Card" is great
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

This looks to be the rabbit. 4 years was briefed, 13 years was asked for, and 7 he may get:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/700761412726087680

I replied to that tweet. Kuenssberg has caught conferencitis: like the Mannekin Pis, it might look good in Brussels but once you're back in London, people will be asking 'is that it'?
    Better than nothing after the inevitable "Remain" vote I suppose.
    Chin up; it's not anything like over yet, and we're going to put up a good fight.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

Agree on Dickens, Woolf. Haven't tried the others.

I liked Graham Greene when younger but haven't read him in years. I wonder what I'd make of him now.

To be fair to Woolf I like her "minor" works, e.g. Orlando, or a Room of One's Own, it's the serious important novels I dislike, To The Lighthouse etc.

Failed modernism.
    I'd add Trollope and Sylvia Plath to the overrated authors list.
    Nobody would have heard of Plath if she hadn't married Ted Hughes.
    Plath's Ariel is maybe the greatest volume of poetry written by a woman, in English, in the 20th century.
    LOL

Its unreadable crap bigged up by people trying to look intellectual and/or 'progressive'.

Does anyone know any of Plath's poems apart from the last paragraph of the one about her dad ?

Even the film they did of her has more from Birthday Letters than from her own work.

I can quote from at least half a dozen Plath poems, in Ariel.

Plath wrote that about three days before she killed herself, as her two children slept upstairs. Brrr.

Ted Hughes was a minor poet in comparison. Which is ironic, as she always felt overshadowed by him.

I prefer Philip Larkin and Seamus Heaney. I found the Bell Jar unreadable.
    You've done it now young lady.

SeanT has STRONG opinions on Seamus Heaney.
    Hah. Don't. The last time I opined on Heaney I got thousands of death threats from Dublin.

*whispers*

He wasn't really all that good though....
    The greatest Irish poet was undoubtedly W.B. Yeats.
    Absolutely. Yeats has that eternal quotability, that talent for the beautiful, memorable line.

I will arise, and go now, and go to Innisfree...

A terrible beauty is born...

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams....

Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold....
    Or

"I balanced all, brought all to mind,
    The years to come seemed waste of breath,
    A waste of breath the years behind
    In balance with this life, this death."

Possibly a good note on which to sign off.

• Options
    Another win for Cameron. After an "English breakfast" and late "English lunch" there is now...

https://twitter.com/siwilso/status/700772800605327361
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

In my mind the major reform was allowing schools to be run by head teachers, rather than by local authorities and teaching unions, allowing good schools to expand and poor schools to fail.

That would be a great reform, Sandpit. I am a great believer that staff are responsible to the Head, whor well-intentioned, and make a much greater effort to get parents involved in the running of the school. But none of that is happening and it's further away than it was under Major with grant-maintained schools.
    Sandpit said:

I genuinely don't know about the maths GCSE issues, where is the hold up in implementation? Hope things manage to get sorted out in time.

To cut a long story short, three drafts have been put forward and rejected by OFQUAL on the basis that incorporating elements from what is currently Further Maths at A-level was not enough to make them rigorous. Unfortunately, it is not likely that anything more advanced will be in any way comprehensible to fourteen year old children unless they are remarkable prodigies, which most of them are not. At the moment, therefore, there are no textbooks or other resources for next year and we are fast running out of time to prepare them.

History has just been sent through, although I think OCR's School's History Project specification should actually have been sent back for redrafting as there are some major flaws in it (which is why I have advised the Head of my school to switch boards to AQA). RE has not, but as nobody is suggesting any changes to OFQUAL's minimum (which is about a full subject anyway) that's not likely to be a problem. Geography is still caught in a logjam. Not sure about English - I know there was a hiccup but I think it has been sorted.

The really exasperating thing is that I like these qualifications much more than the current ones, but taking twelve months more to get them right rather than panicking about them not being ready in time would not do any harm.
    What elements of further maths A level are they trying to put into the GCSE? Presumably that would mean some calculus coming into GCSE with stuff like simple harmonic motion or damped harmonic motion?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Good article here on why the polls for the Nevada caucuses aren't to be trusted:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-nevada-polls-are-bad/
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

'd add Trollope and Sylvia Plath to the overrated authors list.

Plath's Ariel is maybe the greatest volume of poetry written by a woman, in English, in the 20th century.
    LOL

Its unreadable crap bigged up by people trying to look intellectual and/or 'progressive'.

Does anyone know any of Plath's poems apart from the last paragraph of the one about her dad ?

Even the film they did of her has more from Birthday Letters than from her own work.

You're
    Lady Lazarus
    Moon in the Yew Tree
    Daddy
    Edge
    Balloons

Each dead child coiled, a white serpent,
    One at each little

Pitcher of milk, now empty.
    She has folded

Them back into her body as petals
    Of a rose close when the garden

Stiffens and odors bleed
    From the sweet, deep throats of the night flower.

The moon has nothing to be sad about,
    Staring from her hood of bone.

She is used to this sort of thing.
    Her blacks crackle and drag.

Plath wrote that about three days before she killed herself, as her two children slept upstairs. Brrr.

Ted Hughes was a minor poet in comparison. Which is ironic, as she always felt overshadowed by him.

You're more predictable than Pavlov's dog.

Still its amusing to flush out the intellectually pretentious.
    lol. It's really not pretension. I just like her poetry. You are free to dislike her. Both opinions are valid, and say nothing about either of us. Ted Hughes WAS minor though (and I knew him, very slightly - a truly charismatic man).

I was only joking - I'd thought of the Pavlov's dog metaphor at work and wanted to try it out.

To be honest I only read poetry for relaxation so I'm not interested in anything 'hard' so the likes of Hughes, Robert Frost, Christina Rossetti and AE Housman are more my choice.

Ironic. I generally dislike reading poetry but like writing it.

Skittering effortlessly
    To anywhere but where I should be
    Anywhere but here
    Anywhere but tomorrow, today.

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

EPG said:

A Gove Conservative Party might make the next election competitive
    I have liked him on most of his policy briefs but he enemyises people quickly

Rubbish. Some teachers hated him because he was reforming a highly politicised profession with much of the year as holidays....

Parents think he is great.

There are more parents than teachers.
    Eh, sadly, no. He has some of the worst popularity ratings in the Cabinet.
    Presumably amongst YouGov panel members?

Amongst the actual public, especially the Tory voting public, he is popular.

He has also been a fantastic Justice secretary.
    He has been sane. Massive improvement. Massive.
    I actually think someone acting entirely at random would have better than Grayling - there seemed a calculated malicious incompetence about everything he did.
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

LOL

lol. It's really not pretension. I just like her poetry. You are free to dislike her. Both opinions are valid, and say nothing about either of us. Ted Hughes WAS minor though (and I knew him, very slightly - a truly charismatic man).

I was only joking - I'd thought of the Pavlov's dog metaphor at work and wanted to try it out.

To be honest I only read poetry for relaxation so I'm not interested in anything 'hard' so the likes of Hughes, Robert Frost, Christina Rossetti and AE Housman are more my choice.

Skittering effortlessly
    Anywhere but here

Roses are red, violets are blue;
    Whatever wins Cameron announces after this summit; it's not true.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @Conorpope: The Leave campaign need someone who can sell bad ideas to the public. Michael Gove can't even sell good ideas.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    The hand that signed the treaty bred a fever,
    And famine grew, and locusts came;
    Great is the hand that holds dominion over
    Man by a scribbled name.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    I am informed that Damian McBride has been hired by the Labour Party to be Emily Thornberry's spin doctor.

FFS
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/700779175133605888

How? Four sticking points still remaining and talks not yet even underway at 8.30pm.
  • Options
    pbr2013pbr2013 Posts: 649
    Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

Agree on Dickens, Woolf. Haven't tried the others.

I liked Graham Greene when younger but haven't read him in years. I wonder what I'd make of him now.

To be fair to Woolf I like her "minor" works, e.g. Orlando, or a Room of One's Own, it's the serious important novels I dislike, To The Lighthouse etc.

Failed modernism.
    I'd add Trollope and Sylvia Plath to the overrated authors list.
    LOL

Hah. Don't. The last time I opined on Heaney I got thousands of death threats from Dublin.

*whispers*

He wasn't really all that good though....
    The greatest Irish poet was undoubtedly W.B. Yeats.
    Absolutely. Yeats has that eternal quotability, that talent for the beautiful, memorable line.

I will arise, and go now, and go to Innisfree...

A terrible beauty is born...

Tread softly, because you tread on my dreams....

Things fall apart, the centre cannot hold....
    Or

"I balanced all, brought all to mind,
    The years to come seemed waste of breath,
    A waste of breath the years behind
    In balance with this life, this death."

Possibly a good note on which to sign off.

Cast a cold eye,
    On life, on death,
    Horseman, ride on!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@Conorpope: The Leave campaign need someone who can sell bad ideas to the public. Michael Gove can't even sell good ideas.

Says Conor Pope, a self-styled "political organization professional", and all-round Labour stooge.

They are rattled.
  • Options

They are rattled.

It would appear so
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Scott_P said:

Says Conor Pope, a self-styled "political organization professional", and all-round Labour stooge.

They are rattled.
    Gove is articulate and gives good Newsnight, but one of those pols who appeals only to his own. He is a great recruiting sergeant for Labour.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

Cyclefree said:

I know. And he was talking rubbish the first time he came out with them. When I did drama I performed a few of his poems. That's why I like them. Poems need to be said. A good poem is like music.

I like some of the other stuff Heaney has written as well.

THAT, apparently, is the best line written by Seamus Heaney.

*stifles bigoted, anti-Irish laughter*

See, that just doesn't do it for me (and believe me, I've tried). To me it seems Parnassian, which is the world G M Hopkins used to describe poetry which is well-meaning and well-made, highly skilled and professional, and yet somehow lacks the ultimate fire, the amazing phrasing or imagery which burns the poem into your brain.

Heaney was a skilful, insightful poet with a polished voice. But for me, that's it. Very far from "great". Parnassian.

Almost all modern poetry is Parnassian. Reeks of the writing school. You can basically learn how to churn out this stuff. Heaney by the Yard.
    Fair enough. Yeats and Shakespeare are my top favourites. Marvell. And The Owl and the Pussycat, which I recited to my children at bedtime. But I like lots of poetry. In primary school we had to learn a poem for every Tuesday morning and the nuns would ask any of us to stand up and recite it. I still have my book from those days. Happy days.

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

They are rattled.
    Gove is articulate and gives good Newsnight, but one of those pols who appeals only to his own. He is a great recruiting sergeant for Labour.
    For those who live and breathe nothing more than partisan politics, perhaps.

I put my country first.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

They are rattled.
    Whilst I agree, Conor Pope's sneering dismissal of the idea of wanting to leave the EU is irritating (and I would argue a potentially big political problem for Labour).
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    "His own", along with UKIP and a decent minority of Labour voters will be enough to win.
  • Options
    So still no deal?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Headlines not looking good, even from Cameron-friendly newspapers:

"Cameron faces marathon fight as EU talks fall into chaos"

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/
  • Options
    @mattholehouse: EU sources claim deal all but done. 7 years on emergency brake, in one go, and child benefit indexed after 2020. Tsirpas tantrum helped DC
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sean_F said:

LOL

You're
    Lady Lazarus
    Moon in the Yew Tree
    Daddy
    Edge
    Balloons

Each dead child coiled, a white serpent,
    One at each little

Pitcher of milk, now empty.
    She has folded

Them back into her body as petals
    Of a rose close when the garden

Stiffens and odors bleed
    From the sweet, deep throats of the night flower.

The moon has nothing to be sad about,
    Staring from her hood of bone.

She is used to this sort of thing.
    Her blacks crackle and drag.

Skittering effortlessly
    Anywhere but here

I walk through the leafy glade
    Underneath crisp twigs snap
    Overhead, oblivion
    As I search for an invisible sun
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited February 2016
    MP_SE said:

This looks to be the rabbit. 4 years was briefed, 13 years was asked for, and 7 he may get:

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/700761412726087680

If the aim is to reduce immigration to the tens of thousands even a 100 year brake would be inadequate.
    It was a lie,this government need another 1.1million migrants arriving by 2020 to balance the books,mass immigration,overcrowding is here for years.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3341170/Migration-DOUBLE-Cameron-s-tens-thousands-target-tackle-deficit-amid-claims-PM-given-borders.html
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

They are rattled.

I put my country first.
    The Leave campaign needs reach and gravitas. Gove adds nothing to reach,maybe a jot to gravitas, but only in comparison to Farage.

Do spare us the country first stuff. Its too early for that surely?. We all want the best for our country, we just might disagree how.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Jonathan said:

Not surprised Tories dislike Dickens.

No one has mentioned Agatha Christie. Possibly nor high brow enough for Pb.

I only just mentioned The Murder Of Roger Ackroyd!
    Christ. I forgot Agatha Christie!

I *love* her. 4.50 from Paddington and the ABC Murders please.
    She is buried in the Oxfordshire village I used to live in (Cholsey, near Wallingford). There's no mention, no signpost. Just a rather large gravestone once you find it.

She is only beaten in the book-sales stakes by God. Who you think probably has a bit of an unfair edge.... If she were American, you'd see the merchandising opportunities from space. Here? Not even a tea-room.
  • Options
    I see the EU Dinner is veal. Pulling out all the stops to keep wavering liberal-lefties on board, isn't he, this Dave character.
  • Options
    If you're wondering what an "English dinner" is...

https://twitter.com/JosephMuscat_JM/status/700780581873909760
  • Options
    Is there anyone here who would conduct business negotiations in this manner with its 'up until 5am' crap ?

Me neither.

So what's happening is either a pre-arranged pantomime or is being conducted by people not fit to conduct negotiations.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    Scott_P said:

@mattholehouse: EU sources claim deal all but done. 7 years on emergency brake, in one go, and child benefit indexed after 2020. Tsirpas tantrum helped DC

Please, sir I want some... anything! If this is the deal then Dave has just wasted 48 hours that could have been better spent with his family.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

I see the EU Dinner is veal. Pulling out all the stops to keep wavering liberal-lefties on board, isn't he, this Dave character.

Lol. Doubt Dave had much say in the dinner plans tbh.
  • Options

Man by a scribbled name.

That's pretty good.

Rather Sophoclean.

• Options

Jonathan said:

She is buried in the Oxfordshire village I used to live in (Cholsey, near Wallingford). There's no mention, no signpost. Just a rather large gravestone once you find it.

She is only beaten in the book-sales stakes by God. Who you think probably has a bit of an unfair edge.... If she were American, you'd see the merchandising opportunities from space. Here? Not even a tea-room.
    I visited her place at Greenway last year, near Dartmouth. Totally peaceful: right by the River Dart, in a wooded glade, with the sunshine beating down onto the lawn.

Absolutely sublime.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Yes, I'm sure he spent hours fretting over what they will be eating.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited February 2016
    Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

They are rattled.
    In fairness, I'm a little rattled by Gove. He's integral to the whole Cameron project.

If he is indeed a declared outer & remain loses, then he becomes the continuity Dave candidate in the leadership contest, which he'll probably lose.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Conducting important negotiations on 3 hours sleep with strike many people as madness.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    And if Cameron has to ask for the brake leaver to be pulled then it's as good as a chocolate kettle.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

They are rattled.

I put my country first.
    The Leave campaign needs reach and gravitas. Gove adds nothing to reach,maybe a jot to gravitas, but only in comparison to Farage.

Do spare us the country first stuff. Its too early for that surely?. We all want the best for our country, we just might disagree how.
    Stop with your partisan Labour bullshit, then.

Enough.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Scott_P said:

They'll sort Child Benefit out in four years' time??? :smiley:

Insipid.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,401
    hunchman said:

What elements of further maths A level are they trying to put into the GCSE? Presumably that would mean some calculus coming into GCSE with stuff like simple harmonic motion or damped harmonic motion?

I have no idea Hunchman and anything I say beyond what I have already said could be wrong, as I am no mathematician. Arithmetic I can do, trigonometry I can live with, algebra I will try when needs must. Maths is otherwise something that happens to other people.

All I can tell you is that the new Foundation tier, i.e. the minimum 16 year olds are expected to get, is a beefed up version of the current intermediate tier, and the higher tier goes into stuff currently at A-level. So between complexity, volume and quality control, OFQUAL and the exam boards have a very nasty circle to square (they will at least all be great at geometry). So far, unless they have sorted it very recently, they have been unable to do so. I cannot be more specific than that as I am not a maths teacher and would probably not understand the concepts involved.

My personal view is they are taking the wrong approach. Employers complain about poor basic skills. My time on a PGCE showed that there was merit in their concerns. So surely it would be better to make sure everyone did the simple stuff, like arithmetic, really well rather than calculus very badly.

But, again, unlike you I am no mathematician and there may be a logic I can't access here.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    edited February 2016

Man by a scribbled name.

That's pretty good.

Rather Sophoclean.

Dylan Thomas- found it in Encarta Encyclopaedia :smiley:
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

Is there anyone here who would conduct business negotiations in this manner with its 'up until 5am' crap ?

Me neither.

So what's happening is either a pre-arranged pantomime or is being conducted by people not fit to conduct negotiations.

It's baffling.

If it's theatre it plays badly to the audience - not so much dogged Dave fighting for Britain as curmudgeonly continentals throwing us scraps

If it's real we're all in deep shit
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited February 2016
    Trump starts his long awaited attack on Apple:

CNBC NowVerified account ‏@CNBCnow 24m24 minutes ago
    BREAKING: GOP presidential candidate Trump calls for boycott of Apple over San Bernardino iPhone fight until Apple gives the info requested.

This has been one week:

Benjy Sarlin ‏@BenjySarlin 7m7 minutes ago
    Week in Trump:

-W fight
    -Attacks Paul Ryan
    -Pope
    -Cruz letter
    -Mandate
    -'02 Iraq intvw
    -Apple

Impossible to keep up with any one story.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

They are rattled.
    Whilst I agree, Conor Pope's sneering dismissal of the idea of wanting to leave the EU is irritating (and I would argue a potentially big political problem for Labour).
    Yes. Guardianista Labour snobs who sneer at eurosceptics are playing a very dangerous game.

Lots of working class Labour voters will be instinctively drawn to LEAVE, for perfectly respectable reasons of self interest. EU migration has hurt them more than anyone.
    I don't even think it's just limited to just Leave voters. IMO, even some people who grudgingly vote Remain (because they fear the consequences of leaving) will be suspicious of Labour if they seem to be slobbering unquestioning cheerleaders for the EU. Even many people who think the EU is the lesser of two evils are going to want leaders who don't just roll over to any demands.

I would argue one of Labour's main problems at last year's election was that they were seen as too soft to put "the country" first when it was needed (hence the fear they would sell out to Scotland).....if they keep up with this talk about how Europe is such an essential thing for the country, and how it's bonkers to think anything different, then they are setting themselves up for "don't let Juncker steal your cash" posters at the next election.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

BREAKING: GOP presidential candidate Trump calls for boycott of Apple over San Bernardino iPhone fight until Apple gives the info requested.

Is he going to build a virtual wall around them
  • Options
    Sadly, no veal on offer while awaiting a delayed train at Waterloo tonight. Bus just approaching home. Friday evening ruined.
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Scott_P said:

They'll sort Child Benefit out in four years' time??? :smiley:

Insipid.

What a con.
  • Options

Me neither.

It's the latter. Political deadlines forcing the issue.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Using fire, perhaps?
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    edited February 2016

Another win for Cameron. After an "English breakfast" and late "English lunch" there is now...

https://twitter.com/siwilso/status/700772800605327361

Scots are outraged!

My favourite poem is very lowbrow. 'Leisure' by WH Davies:

What is this life if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.
    No time to stand beneath the boughs
    And stare as long as sheep or cows.
    No time to see, when woods we pass,
    Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass.
    No time to see, in broad daylight,
    Streams full of stars, like skies at night.
    No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
    And watch her feet, how they can dance.
    No time to wait till her mouth can
    Enrich that smile her eyes began.
    A poor life this if, full of care,
    We have no time to stand and stare.

For personal reasons, 116 is incredibly moving and will bring me to tears at the drop of a hat.

Let me not to the marriage of true minds
    Admit impediments. Love is not love
    Which alters when it alteration finds,
    Or bends with the remover to remove:
    O no; it is an ever-fixed mark,
    That looks on tempests, and is never shaken;
    It is the star to every wandering bark,
    Whose worth's unknown, although his height be taken.
    Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks
    Within his bending sickle's compass come;
    Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
    But bears it out even to the edge of doom.
    If this be error and upon me proved,
    I never writ, nor no man ever loved.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

They are rattled.

I put my country first.

Enough.
    It's not partisan bullshit, it's making the very real point that Gove doesn't add much to a Leave campaign that needs to extend its reach.

You're in the bag, they need to attract other voters unlike you to win . Gove, bless him, doesn't offer much there.

It's a perfectly valid point.
  • Options
    All the nonsense about benefits could easily solved by us without any new eu deal....contributary principal...like errh lots of EU countries.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

They are rattled.

I put my country first.

Enough.
    It's not partisan bullshit, it's making the very real point that Gove doesn't add much to a Leave campaign that needs to extend its reach.

You're in the bag, they need to attract other voters unlike you to win . Gove, bless him, doesn't offer much there.

No, it's not that and well you know it. Richard Nabavi and I said we didn't particularly care for Dickens. You said "typical Tories".

You just can't help yourself having a dig whenever you think there's an opening, even if it's totally irrelevant and a completely innocent (and unpolitical) point of view.

You're wired like McBride.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

I visited her place at Greenway last year, near Dartmouth. Totally peaceful: right by the River Dart, in a wooded glade, with the sunshine beating down onto the lawn.

Absolutely sublime.
    Been to Greenway several times - it is only a few miles from where I now live (coincidentally I'm not stalking her!). It is a beautiful spot indeed. But if she couldn't afford it, not much hope for any other writer to live amongst sublime nature!

• Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

They are rattled.

I put my country first.

Enough.

I don't particularly like Gove but he definitely adds reach. He's a Cameroon rather than part of the Tory Right and mainstream Conservatives will decide this. He's also clearly has intellectual chops, making Leave more intellectually acceptable.
  • Options

All the nonsense about benefits could easily solved by us without any new eu deal....contributary principal...like errh lots of EU countries.

Why should young British people be denied benefits just because they haven't "contributed" yet, when most of them would go onto repay everything they take out when they're employed in the future?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited February 2016
    Please spare a thought for David Herdson.

He has to write the morning thread and there's still no agreement.

There's nothing worse than writing a thread that can't be published because it has been superseded by events.

#UnderPressure
  • Options
    pbr2013 said:

Sadly, no veal on offer while awaiting a delayed train at Waterloo tonight. Bus just approaching home. Friday evening ruined.
    I sympathise. My wife is in exactly the same situation, which is why I'm here.

She's about 10 minutes away from home but has had a hell of a journey.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

They are rattled.
    Yes. Guardianista Labour snobs who sneer at eurosceptics are playing a very dangerous game.

Lots of working class Labour voters will be instinctively drawn to LEAVE, for perfectly respectable reasons of self interest. EU migration has hurt them more than anyone.
    I don't even think it's just limited to just Leave voters. IMO, even some people who grudgingly vote Remain (because they fear the consequences of leaving) will be suspicious of Labour if they seem to be slobbering unquestioning cheerleaders for the EU. Even many people who think the EU is the lesser of two evils are going to want leaders who don't just roll over to any demands.

I would argue one of Labour's main problems at last year's election was that they were seen as too soft to put "the country" first when it was needed (hence the fear they would sell out to Scotland).....if they keep up with this talk about how Europe is such an essential thing for the country, and how it's bonkers to think anything different, then they are setting themselves up for "don't let Juncker steal your cash" posters at the next election.
    I thought it telling that EU was issue that Umunna had on red line for serving under Corbyn. Not Trident or peoples QE or energy nationalisation.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    It seems even Britney Spears is hedging her bets on Hillary in Nevada. (Apologies for the DM link - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3454271/When-Britney-met-Hillary-Clinton-courts-young-vote-posing-pop-star-ahead-Nevada-s-Democratic-caucus.html )
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763

There's nothing worse than writing a thread that can't be published because it has been superseded by events.

#UnderPressure

Couldn't he just go with Osborne is crap ?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

They are rattled.

I put my country first.

Enough.

No, it's not that and well you know it. Richard Nabavi and I said we didn't particularly care for Dickens. You said "typical Tories".

You just can't help yourself having a dig whenever you think there's an opening, even if it's totally irrelevant and a completely innocent (and unpolitical) point of view.

The Dickens point was a joke. Not funny. I admit, but a joke nonetheless. The fact you took it seriously is actually quite funny.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Why should young British people be denied benefits just because they haven't "contributed" yet, when most of them would go onto repay everything they take out when they're employed in the future?
    There are many ways if doing it that doesn't have to mean nothing. It seems to be good enough for many "liberal" countries like Sweden.
  • Options

#UnderPressure

I hope he serves us up an AV thread.... That'll teach you.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Britney Spears looking well !
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Because unless somebody is severely disabled, they should not get something for nothing. We need to tackle the entitlement mentality head on.

We can't afford it anymore!
  • Options

#UnderPressure

More reasons to have a backup AV thread ;)
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Absolutely sublime.
    I am rather fortunate to own a large portion of her husband's book collection (The archaeologist Max Mallowan) . I bought it at auction several years ago and the sale included a large number of glass plate photographs of the original excavations at Ur under Sir Leonard Woolley in the 1920s. I also have many of Mallowan's notebooks from his excavations at Nineveh.

https://sites.google.com/site/themallowanarchive/home
  • Options

Danny565 said:

There are many ways if doing it that doesn't have to mean nothing. It seems to be good enough for many "liberal" countries like Sweden.
    I'll admit I'm not an expert on other welfare systems such as Sweden's, but when people say things like "people should contribute before they draw on the welfare system", it always seems to me the logical conclusion of that would be that young people who can't find a job are denied any benefits.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

They are rattled.

I put my country first.

Enough.

The Dickens point was a joke. Not funny. I admit, but a joke nonetheless. The fact you took it seriously is actually quite funny.
    No it wasn't, you meant it, and are just trying to wriggle out of it now as you realise it's misfired.

Which is also very telling.
  • Options

#UnderPressure

I've just written a thread for Sunday, and it features AV, heavily.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Danny565 said:

Because unless somebody is severely disabled, they should not get something for nothing. We need to tackle the entitlement mentality head on.

So you think that a young British person who can't find a job should not be given any money to live on? Just checking.
  • Options
    Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole
    Standing ovation for Hoey. Next Davis. Then Farage. And then and only then.... The Special Guest.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/700787233050271744/photo/1
  • Options
    @davidgrossman: Deal Done........apparently. #EUCO https://t.co/r8TpvtANGP
  • Options

#UnderPressure

I've just written a thread for Sunday, and it features AV, heavily.
    Oh my
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    Sorry slightly late to this.

Best novels?
    Portrait of the Artist
    Of Mice and Men
    Kim
    Grapes of Wrath
    Catcher in the Rye
    Ulysses
    Don Quixote
    War and Peace
    Nausea
    White Teeth
    Remains of the Day
    A la recherche...

Poems?
    There once was a man from Nantucket

EU negotiations?
    Let's see the final draft.
  • Options
    @Tyhejohnno. Yup. Two guests left. Davis speaking now, and then Farage, and then.. who knows?

But will it be a damp squib. Or someone special?
  • Options
    Looks like it's over. Deal is done. Cabinet first thing in the morning. All hell lets loose over the weekend:

https://twitter.com/Grybauskaite_LT/status/700786461038268416
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Danny565 said:

If we can afford inheritance tax cuts for middle class we can afford to let kids graduating in recessions having food to eat.
  • Options

Harry Cole ‏@MrHarryCole
    Standing ovation for Hoey. Next Davis. Then Farage. And then and only then.... The Special Guest.

https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/700787233050271744/photo/1

Be a turn up if its Prince William....
  • Options

@Tyhejohnno. Yup. Two guests left. Davis speaking now, and then Farage, and then.. who knows?

My betting is damp squib. This trick has been pulled too often in recent years (anyone remember Elvis in 2010) and it has never worked and never will. Politicians just don't learn. :-(
  • Options

Not a bad start,people locked out because it was full.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

RoyalBlue said:

Danny565 said:

So you think that a young British person who can't find a job should not be given any money to live on? Just checking.
    In the vast majority of cases, yes. It is not the State's job to step in and replace parents and family just because somebody turns 18.

It is outrageous that 18-year olds can get council housing in their own right. That is something the vast majority of young people cannot afford until they are significantly older.
  • Options
    @MarqueeMark

LOL!

Or Prince Harry, in "costume" ?
  • Options
    So in or out of single rulebook?? Did Hollande or Cameron win there?? Everything else is sideshow.
  • Options

My betting is damp squib. This trick has been pulled too often in recent years (anyone remember Elvis in 2010) and it has never worked and never will. Politicians just don't learn. :-(
    https://twitter.com/GeneralBoles/status/700788933429321728
  • Options

#UnderPressure

As long as there's not an agreement at 3am.

Strangely, one of the best threads I've written in the last year (IMO; others may disagree), was in the aftermath of the Paris attacks, which I didn't start until 6am having told Mike I'd file by eight.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865

pbr2013 said:

I sympathise. My wife is in exactly the same situation, which is why I'm here.

She's about 10 minutes away from home but has had a hell of a journey.
    Yet again packed in like sardines on a FGW train tonight. I was though, rather amused at the automated safety announcement that referred to the sardine tin as a " passenger saloon"
    :astonished:
  • Options

https://twitter.com/GeneralBoles/status/700788933429321728
    Ha. Gags!
  • Options

Speedy said:

There will be no end of boycotts by the end of the primary season. You never know, the penny might have dropped by then.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    'the wait continues'...for what?
  • Options
    Davis still droning on...

Wrap it up.
  • Options
    Can I tell you a little secret, which will amuse you all.

But don't tell anyone!
  • Options
    Kate McCann ‏@KateEMcCann
    Davis is reading a poem at the Grassroots rally. Ends: "We are the people of England that have not spoken yet" ...
This discussion has been closed.