Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Back at Westminster the wait continues

Comments

• Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

SeanT said:

Danny565 said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

@Conorpope: The Leave campaign need someone who can sell bad ideas to the public. Michael Gove can't even sell good ideas.

Says Conor Pope, a self-styled "political organization professional", and all-round Labour stooge.

They are rattled.
    Gove is articulate and gives good Newsnight, but one of those pols who appeals only to his own. He is a great recruiting sergeant for Labour.
    Whilst I agree, Conor Pope's sneering dismissal of the idea of wanting to leave the EU is irritating (and I would argue a potentially big political problem for Labour).
    Yes. Guardianista Labour snobs who sneer at eurosceptics are playing a very dangerous game.

Lots of working class Labour voters will be instinctively drawn to LEAVE, for perfectly respectable reasons of self interest. EU migration has hurt them more than anyone.
    I don't even think it's just limited to just Leave voters. IMO, even some people who grudgingly vote Remain (because they fear the consequences of leaving) will be suspicious of Labour if they seem to be slobbering unquestioning cheerleaders for the EU. Even many people who think the EU is the lesser of two evils are going to want leaders who don't just roll over to any demands.

I would argue one of Labour's main problems at last year's election was that they were seen as too soft to put "the country" first when it was needed (hence the fear they would sell out to Scotland).....if they keep up with this talk about how Europe is such an essential thing for the country, and how it's bonkers to think anything different, then they are setting themselves up for "don't let Juncker steal your cash" posters at the next election.
    Yes. On this point, Corbyn is closer to the voters than the Labour right.

Yesterday I read some article saying Labour would support EU mmbership "whatever Cameron negotiated".

So, what, even if he got a deal where poor grannies were rendered into fat, or trade unions fobidden for eternity, the Labour party would still support membership?!

It's just weird. It's like the EU has become yet ANOTHER religion for lefties, along with multiculturalism, feminism, identity politics, etc etc
    They're not keen on critical thinking. It's too much like hard work, and you don't get to feel continuous self-righteousness.
  • Options
    Argh, wife back. Have to go out for late dinner now.

Reckon Farage will be on for 20 minutes. We should know the special guest by 9.45pm.

I think..
  • Options

Kate McCann ‏@KateEMcCann
    Davis is reading a poem at the Grassroots rally. Ends: "We are the people of England that have not spoken yet" ...

Little Englander
  • Options
    Seems an apt moment to post this Yes Minister classic

https://vimeo.com/85914510
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

@Conorpope: The Leave campaign need someone who can sell bad ideas to the public. Michael Gove can't even sell good ideas.

Says Conor Pope, a self-styled "political organization professional", and all-round Labour stooge.

They are rattled.
    Gove is articulate and gives good Newsnight, but one of those pols who appeals only to his own. He is a great recruiting sergeant for Labour.
    For those who live and breathe nothing more than partisan politics, perhaps.

I put my country first.
    The Leave campaign needs reach and gravitas. Gove adds nothing to reach,maybe a jot to gravitas, but only in comparison to Farage.

Do spare us the country first stuff. Its too early for that surely?. We all want the best for our country, we just might disagree how.
    Stop with your partisan Labour bullshit, then.

Enough.
    It's not partisan bullshit, it's making the very real point that Gove doesn't add much to a Leave campaign that needs to extend its reach.

You're in the bag, they need to attract other voters unlike you to win . Gove, bless him, doesn't offer much there.

It's a perfectly valid point.
    No, it's not that and well you know it. Richard Nabavi and I said we didn't particularly care for Dickens. You said "typical Tories".

You just can't help yourself having a dig whenever you think there's an opening, even if it's totally irrelevant and a completely innocent (and unpolitical) point of view.

You're wired like McBride.
    The Dickens point was a joke. Not funny. I admit, but a joke nonetheless. The fact you took it seriously is actually quite funny.
    No it wasn't, you meant it, and are just trying to wriggle out of it now as you realise it's misfired.

Which is also very telling.
    It was a joke. Not wriggling at all. Was amused by the idea if someone not getting Dickens. . Clearly I got closer to the bone than I imagined possible. Apots for offence, none was intended. To make up for it I shall henceforth imagine you dressed as Bob Cratchett.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:

They are rattled.
    For those who live and breathe nothing more than partisan politics, perhaps.

I put my country first.
    The Leave campaign needs reach and gravitas. Gove adds nothing to reach,maybe a jot to gravitas, but only in comparison to Farage.

Do spare us the country first stuff. Its too early for that surely?. We all want the best for our country, we just might disagree how.
    Stop with your partisan Labour bullshit, then.

Enough.
    It's not partisan bullshit, it's making the very real point that Gove doesn't add much to a Leave campaign that needs to extend its reach.

You're in the bag, they need to attract other voters unlike you to win . Gove, bless him, doesn't offer much there.

It's a perfectly valid point.
    No, it's not that and well you know it. Richard Nabavi and I said we didn't particularly care for Dickens. You said "typical Tories".

You just can't help yourself having a dig whenever you think there's an opening, even if it's totally irrelevant and a completely innocent (and unpolitical) point of view.

You're wired like McBride.
    The Dickens point was a joke. Not funny. I admit, but a joke nonetheless. The fact you took it seriously is actually quite funny.
    No it wasn't, you meant it, and are just trying to wriggle out of it now as you realise it's misfired.

Which is also very telling.
    It was a joke. Not wriggling at all. Was amused by the idea if someone not getting Dickens. . Clearly I got closer to the bone than I imagined possible. Apots for offence, none was intended. To make up for it I shall henceforth imagine you dressed as Bob Cratchett.
    That's funny. Ok, my point is made; I agree, let's end this. Thanks.
  • Options
    scoopscoop Posts: 64
    The special one has arrived and we thought he was going to Manchester
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    edited February 2016
    I see the disease of somehow drawing links between negotiations with the EU with Hitler Germany is spreading beyond the usual suspects...

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 32 secs32 seconds ago
    Cameron should return to Britain via the old Croydon aerodrome and hold the piece of paper in his hand as he gets off the plane
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Danny565 said:

All the nonsense about benefits could easily solved by us without any new eu deal....contributary principal...like errh lots of EU countries.

Why should young British people be denied benefits just because they haven't "contributed" yet, when most of them would go onto repay everything they take out when they're employed in the future?
    Simply make the the 14-17 year age bracket for education 'credits'.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @KateEMcCann: The special guest CAN'T actually be George Galloway... Can it?!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh FFS.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Scott_P said:

The cat's out of the bag.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    They never effing were dear god I hope this isn't going to be the huge victory we should all follow Dave over the top for.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Scott_P said:

Forget Gove, that will get ALL the headlines. Galloway will rally a few of the hard left for leave but if he is on a platform with Farage it is a coup for Cameron, it will be Benn and Powell 1975 the sequel!
  • Options

Kate McCann ‏@KateEMcCann
    Davis is reading a poem at the Grassroots rally. Ends: "We are the people of England that have not spoken yet" ...

'England'?
    As the BBC showed last night, most people in the street are clueless and apathetic about the current goings on.
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Fuck. Going to wack another g on Remain. Its over.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223

Scott_P said:

Oh FFS.
    My thoughts exactly. Then again, we were on his side for the Scottish referendum.
  • Options
    If that special guest is Galloway, I don't think there's been this much of a damp squib since Nigel Farage dragged everyone out to Gloucestershire during Tory conference to announce the defection of a medium-sized Tory donor.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    No serious organisation would be stupid enough to have George Galloway as their keynote speaker would they?

???
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    SeanT said:
    that looks not right, like a hoax are you absolutely sure it is legit?
  • Options
    If Galloway really is the GO special guest, it is a perfect illustration of their problem..
  • Options
    @KateEMcCann: It actually is George Galloway you know. It really is. Farage calls him a "towering figure"
  • Options
    GUEST - GEORGE GALLOWAY.
  • Options
    This is so idiotic. How stupid are these people.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Forget Gove, that will get ALL the headlines. Galloway will rally a few of the hard left for leave but if he is on a platform with Farage it is a coup for Cameron, it will be Benn and Powell 1975 the sequel!
    Precisely, I'm off to the pub to drink whiskey.

This is bullshit.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    un-fecking real - galloway and farage pictured together.

Raheem Kassam ‏@RaheemKassam 2 mins2 minutes ago
    Ladies and Gents at @Grassroots_Out. Here's your special guest. It's @georgegalloway!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Blimey, is this is an Ed Stone moment for the Leave campaign…?
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole: It's Galloway. Some heckles and walk outs. Woman bundled out of back for voicing concern https://t.co/BbM0XfVkeo
  • Options

GUEST - GEORGE GALLOWAY.

F-ing tossers. They'd have been better not to publicise it in the first place.

GO>! = idiots.
  • Options
    VERY muted reception to Galloway.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    SeanT said:
    So it it's a promise to be made at some point in the future when and if the treaty changes again.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,594
    edited February 2016
    I'm putting a bet on Remain getting 70% plus.

George Galloway!

These people are fucking idiots.

Next they'll be trumpeting an endorsement from Nick Griffin
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

un-fecking real - galloway and farage pictured together.

Raheem Kassam ‏@RaheemKassam 2 mins2 minutes ago
    Ladies and Gents at @Grassroots_Out. Here's your special guest. It's @georgegalloway!

Remain master-stroke..... How the fuck have they pulled this off?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@MrHarryCole: It's Galloway. Some heckles and walk outs. Woman bundled out of back for voicing concern https://t.co/BbM0XfVkeo

This is an absolute disaster.

Right, I'm leaving or my wife will divorce me.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Squeaky bum time in SC...

Opinion Savvy/Augusta Chronicle 18-19 Feb

Jeb Bush (R) 11%
    Ben Carson (R) 8%
    Ted Cruz (R) 19%
    John Kasich (R) 7%
    Marco Rubio (R) 24%
    Donald Trump (R) 27%
    Undecided 4%
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

Galloway, for real?
    He is on a platform with DAVID DAVIS you dimwit. I could not give a monkey's about Farage. DAVID DAVIS, Tim Momtgomerie's representative on earth.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGOig7t_b0s

Grassroots out have shit the bed.
  • Options
    Galloway did a good job of slaughtering the EU on TV the other day.

He was spot on with the left that now own Labour.
  • Options
    I'm rattled at seeing Galloway and Farage together.

As the rare lesser-spotted pro-european tory, I will try and recover my poise shortly....
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    I thought it was going to be Len McCluskey.
  • Options
    @patrickwintour: "He is towering figure on the left of British politics" says Farage as he introduces George Galloway as surprise guest to GO rally. Suicide.

@stephenpollard: Have the organisers of the GO rally taken leave of their senses? Galloway! Have they got any senses? What bloody idiots.

@KateEMcCann: "He's an anti Semite, it's disgusting" says one v angry activist. Seriously let down people here. Very bad decision from Grassroots Out
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited February 2016

GUEST - GEORGE GALLOWAY.

Not what you would expect for a mostly conservative grass roots.
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    lol, I can't vote the same way as Galloway, it's like a mortal sin or something. Christ, why are my representatives so fecking stupid :/.
  • Options
    George galloway wtf????
  • Options
    Come on guys,you have to take ALL views from the political world(even Galloway)

Galloway has plenty of supporters and he's good in debates.
  • Options

George Galloway!

No..... this is a major coup and I am rattled..
  • Options

I would have preferred Elvis.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

George Galloway!

How could they be so tin-eared??

Bizarre. Friend of Islamo-fascists AND Saddam Hussein, Geo Galloway.

Fantastic.
    I bet Gove is going to back Remain now.

He's not going to fancy spending the next four months touring the country with Galloway ahd Farage
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Galloway did a good job of slaughtering the EU on TV the other day.

He was spot on with the left that now own Labour.

Tell me Galloway hasn't joined Farage to leave just at the moment the EU deal is announced and the narrative seems to be positive for DC
  • Options

George galloway wtf????

Best news Remain has had today.
  • Options
    All Leave need now in the straight down the middle advocate.

They have the right, they have the left.

Over to Boris.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

George Galloway!

No..... this is a major coup and I am rattled..
    A major coup for the other Leave campaigns vying for official status.
  • Options

George Galloway!

Nick Griffin-lite is already on the platform.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    "Nigel, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability and I want you to know that we are with you....."
  • Options
    @josephdcassidy: Oh my god they're actually locking people in it's like the worst super villain plot ever https://t.co/ulPkTstmAQ
  • Options
    WITH IRAN ::::::::::::DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
  • Options
    Galloway wants to trade "With Iran" xD Omfg
  • Options
    JohnO said:

"Nigel, I salute your courage, your strength, your indefatigability and I want you to know that we are with you....."

LOL
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227
    At the moment my reaction is this. I feel about Galloway much as Mr Meeks feels about the Kippers. And his involvement will likely have the same effect on me as the Kippers have on Mr M.

A Britain where Galloway and his ilk play any sort of part is not a Britain I want to have anything to do with. It will be illiberal and nasty. For all its many faults, the EU is better than Galloway and his friends.
  • Options

George Galloway!

The remain proberly have sinn fein wanting Britain in the EU,Corbyns mates.

You remember corbyn,the far left labour leader who supports remain.
  • Options
    If Cameron has got a no further political union clause then thats a very big thing
  • Options

SeanT said:

George Galloway!

Fantastic.

He's not going to fancy spending the next four months touring the country with Galloway ahd Farage
    Why not, David Davis is.
  • Options
    The leave campaign really should be restricting Farage and Galloway to GOTV operations to the converted. Keep them the fuck away from everything else.
  • Options
    Damn. damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn damn.

Now I am going to have to completely re-write tomorrow's thread.

Stupid f*cking useless half-witted Leave muppets.
  • Options
    This is someone who I consider a political weathervane

https://twitter.com/DavidRoe92/status/700797571460153345
  • Options
    SeanT said:

No, it's a disastrous choice. Galloway is fine doing hustings in northern towns, but keep him there. Elsewhere, eek, no.

But LEAVE might - just - be lucky in their timing. It will all be overshadowed by news of the "deal". Maybe.
    Are you worried now then
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,452
    edited February 2016
    O/T

Domhnall Gleeson really needs to put on his General Hux (Star Wars VII) voice for "Earth's Greatest Spectacles" on BBC2 - his narration is making me fall asleep :)
  • Options

The leave campaign really should be restricting Farage and Galloway to GOTV operations to the converted. Keep them the fuck away from everything else.

Sounds like an honest an open campaign.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Some Michigan polls out today

Detroit News
    Trump 25,
    Cruz 15,
    Rubio 12,
    Kasich 11,
    Carson 9,
    Bush 5
    http://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2016/02/18/poll-trump-leads-michigans-fluid-gop-field/80590010/

Fox2Detroit

GOP
    Trump 41,
    Cruz 11,
    Rubio 10,
    Kasich 11,
    Carson 7,
    Bush 5

Dem
    Clinton 62
    Sanders 27
    http://www.realclearpolitics.com/docs/2016/Mitchell_Poll_FOX_2_PRESS_PACKET_GOP_Primary_2-18-16_FINALA.pdf
  • Options

I feel your pain, been there.
  • Options

I remember him at PB but I can't recall what name he posted under.
  • Options

I remember him at PB but I can't recall what name he posted under.
    a mr fletcher...
  • Options
    @DavidRoe92: That confirms it. I'm voting to stay in.

@DavidRoe92: This is the only election in my life where I genuinely believed I was a key voter. I'm now virulently pro EU.

@AaronBell80: @DavidRoe92 wtf is wrong with these people? It's AV referendum all over again - I am going to be on the losing side with a bunch of tossers

@DavidRoe92: Getting Galloway on stage makes the Sheffield rally look like a PR coup
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    MP_SE said:

This is so idiotic. How stupid are these people.

Well, they hyped George Galloway and tried to get as much attention for him as possible so I'm going to go for. . .

Actually, I don't think I have a insider sufficiently strong to place in front of 'stupid' that really captures the essence.
  • Options
    What made these people think Galloway would be a decent special guest. If he wants to campaign for Brexit, fine, just don't give him centre stage at a major event.
  • Options

The glorious backup AV thread beckons.
  • Options
    Re maths GCSE:
    ydoethur said:

My personal view is they are taking the wrong approach. Employers complain about poor basic skills. My time on a PGCE showed that there was merit in their concerns. So surely it would be better to make sure everyone did the simple stuff, like arithmetic, really well rather than calculus very badly.

Actually this is precisely what the new GCSE spec is doing: there's a significant bumping up of the emphasis of basic numeracy, i.e. ability to do arithmetic and deal with "everyday" contextual problems (utility bills, shopping, exchange rates, interest rates etc).

And there's absolutely no suggestion that foundation tier students are going to be having calculus stuffed down their throat: pretty much as before, they're going to be limited to only the most basic of algebra.

In the old scheme, basic numeracy made up 25% of the syllabus (equally weighted with algebra, statistics and "shape and space" i.e. geometry). The new scheme splits out "ratio and proportion" as a separate topic in its own right, in addition to numerical work, and hence boosts the proportion of time and marks spent on basic skills.

As one of the more statistically-inclined of this parish (and I think Mr Viewcode will sympathise with me) I'm concerned that this is happening mostly at the expense of the data handling component. The GCSE syllabus is unusual, in global terms, for putting so much emphasis on interpreting data and graphs and performing basic statistical calculations. It's probably one of the reasons we do quite poorly on international standardised tests - other countries don't teach what we do, or don't teach it under "maths" - but in my view it's one of the strengths of our system. Data literacy is an incredibly valuable skill in an "information economy", and probably of more use to more people than the higher algebra is. For those people who need mathematical skills for more than just quotidien arithmetic, it's often because they need to handle data and interpret statistics. While I can see the argument for the need for greater focus on basic skills (and having worked as an FE lecturer, I can confirm that basic skills are a serious issue, and PBers whose circles of friends and colleagues are mostly graduates might have a shock at the levels of literacy and numeracy I'm talking about) I'm disappointed it's come at the expense of downgrading the statistics.

Having said that, pruning the algebra probably wasn't a realistic option since many A-level students already lack the skills required to succeed (skills which from a professional/academic point of view are pretty basic - things like dealing with algebraic fractions confidently, rearranging more complicated formulas or factorising and/or completing the square on quadratics - but which are above the "key skills" needed for everyday life).
  • Options
    F-it, i cant vote with Galloway.....

In it is.
  • Options

SeanT said:

George Galloway!

Fantastic.

Why not, David Davis is.
    I believe my views on DD are right up there with Montie in their own respective industries...
  • Options
    So let me get this straight - just because Galloway backs LEAVE, you traitorous, perfidious REMAINERS are going to consign Britain to another 40 years of Brussels-Directive-Raj?

Seriously guys?
  • Options
    @David_Cameron: I have negotiated a deal to give the UK special status in the EU. I will be recommending it to Cabinet tomorrow. Press conference shortly.
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    Don't know why everyone is so surprised. If you've got kate hoey on your platform you can't be that choosy. Having said that george galloway. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
  • Options
    So it seems that the LEAVE campaign are going to the other extreme of crapness to which YEStoAV did.

While YEStoAV only wanted 'progressive majority' luvvies this LEAVE bunch are having a really big tent.

• Options

F-it, i cant vote with Galloway.....

In it is.

One man changes your vote,christ.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    MP_SE said:

What made these people think Galloway would be a decent special guest. If he wants to campaign for Brexit, fine, just don't give him centre stage at a major event.

How many Kippers will change their mind because of Galloway?

Labour are currently going 70 - 30 remain. If Galloway (and like minded lefties, plenty of them about) moves that to 50-50....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

There's little chance Boris will come out for LEAVE now.

They've possibly destroyed their campaign on Day 1. Insane.

Why why why give this utterly toxic man centre stage.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Is it time to open the membership to moderate wavering outers wanting a new liberal Tory party not obsessed with Europe, Gays etc
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

At the moment my reaction is this. I feel about Galloway much as Mr Meeks feels about the Kippers. And his involvement will likely have the same effect on me as the Kippers have on Mr M.

A Britain where Galloway and his ilk play any sort of part is not a Britain I want to have anything to do with. It will be illiberal and nasty. For all its many faults, the EU is better than Galloway and his friends.

I absolutely share your view of Galloway but I have to ask, which side were you on in the Scottish Independence vote? If you were in favour of the Union then you were on the same side as Galloway who played a prominent role in the campaign.

This is a stupid, crass and self destructive move by GO but to be honest it is no more than I would expect from Farage and it won't make any difference to the fundamental arguments one way or another.
  • Options
    David Cameron 'I have achieved special status for the UK' - Press conference shortly
  • Options

If Cameron has got a no further political union clause then thats a very big thing

It would be as useful as the 'reform the CAP' promise which Blair got.

This discussion has been closed.