Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Back at Westminster the wait continues

12345679»

Comments

• Options

BBC paper review very supportive of DC and the deal even cutting away to show him leaving the conference.

BBC is in full on EU fan boy mode this evening.
    And for the next four months !!
  • Options

John_N said:

MP_SE said:

If he wants to fire up his target voters (whoever they are???), fine, but keep him the hell away from the high profile events.

George Galloway's target voters are Britain's 2.7 million Muslims - or to be more exact, the 2 million of them with a vote.

I hate this attitude. Most Muslims no more vote for Galloway than I would vote for Nick Griffin.
    Like I said,you have no Idea of Bradford,but like most politicians in power,you forget your base.
    I have no base, I'm not a politician. I have Muslim friends who despise Galloway as much as I do.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    pinkrose said:

John_N said:

MP_SE said:

If he wants to fire up his target voters (whoever they are???), fine, but keep him the hell away from the high profile events.

George Galloway's target voters are Britain's 2.7 million Muslims - or to be more exact, the 2 million of them with a vote.

I hate this attitude. Most Muslims no more vote for Galloway than I would vote for Nick Griffin.
    Dont agree with that at all.

When Galloway stood in Bradford and Bethnall Green, he achieved huge swings to get elected mainly with Muslim votes.
    Absolutely. GG is a useful asset to leave, provided he's used sparingly to appeal to his core constituency (we all know what that is) and not dominate the leave campaign narrative.
  • Options
    Sky - no Government has ever had an agreement like this
  • Options

BBC paper review very supportive of DC and the deal even cutting away to show him leaving the conference.

And for the next four months !!
    Stephen Nolan who normally spends every evening he is on blasting Cameron / Tories, is in full on "didn't he do well, good game, good game"...you would have to be a total moron to believe he really thinks that, rather than the wider issue of staying in the EU.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhart

Well now how much did you complain about the Beeb's bias during the Scottish referendum including Nick Robinson's two "briefing meetings" with Cameron before he rolled up in Scotland.
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    Does anyone know if housing benefit is included in the "in work benefits" that Cameron refers to when talking about the emergency break?? Or is it just tax credits? Housing benefit is the big one, working tax credit is only £55 per week and Child tax credit is £70 per week PER CHILD!!!!! But housing benefit can be worth hundreds of pounds per week.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

pinkrose said:

John_N said:

MP_SE said:

When Galloway stood in Bradford and Bethnall Green, he achieved huge swings to get elected mainly with Muslim votes.
    Obviously Galloway has cherrypicked the constituencies he can appeal to the best but in 2015 he didn't even come close in Bradford West. The notion that all Muslims are Galloway-voters or even sympathetic to him is fallacious.
    Don't know who said all muslims were galloway fans,thousands were when he took bradford west but like I said about forgetting your roots.
  • Options
    pinkrose said:

Does anyone know if housing benefit is included in the "in work benefits" that Cameron refers to when talking about the emergency break?? Or is it just tax credits? Housing benefit is the big one, working tax credit is only £55 per week and Child tax credit is £70 per week PER CHILD!!!!! But housing benefit can be worth hundreds of pounds per week.

The break on "ever closer union" is utter BS too. It basically has no legal meaning, other than if they actually write a treaty that says this will achieve ever closer union. It does nothing to stop legislation being passed that achieves this without actually stating it.
  • Options
    pinkrose said:

David Cameron said tonight that the benefits can amount to £10,000 pa
  • Options

John_N said:

MP_SE said:

Like I said,you have no Idea of Bradford,but like most politicians in power,you forget your base.
    I have no base, I'm not a politician. I have Muslim friends who despise Galloway as much as I do.
    And you have thousands of muslims who thinks Galloway speaks they language.
  • Options
    The Guardian view on the Brussels summit deal: Cameron delivers a practical package

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2016/feb/19/the-guardian-view-on-the-eu-summit-last-tangle-in-brussels
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    scotslass said:

FrancisUrquhart

Well now how much did you complain about the Beeb's bias during the Scottish referendum including Nick Robinson's two "briefing meetings" with Cameron before he rolled up in Scotland.

Politicians aren't allowed to brief the press?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Rubio move very curious - only leak I can think of is that Jeb! and/or Kasich are intending to endorse him after SC.

I don't see Jeb lasting beyond SC unless he gets 2nd or 3rd, which is seeming vanishingly unlikely at this point. He is very much the Establishment man, and they must be at the breaking point re wanting to bash heads together to get one candidate to take on Trump and Cruz.

Kasich may stay in longer to test the waters without Jeb around. But not beyond Super Tuesday unless he can show he is making ground against Rubio.
    Rubio then drops out after losing Florida on March 15th leaving Trump and Cruz to fight it out between them
    I've actually got a lot of time for Cruz on climate change:

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/09/459026242/scientific-evidence-doesn-t-support-global-warming-sen-ted-cruz-says

I disliked him for the Carson trick he pulled in Iowa, but at least he talks sense on the climate. And after the record low temperatures and record snowfalls they've had at times in the NE part of the USA this winter, a lot of them can see through the Obama nonsense.
    The increasing flooding in the southern states, the heatwaves and forest fires tell a different story
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
  • Options

John_N said:

MP_SE said:

And you have thousands of muslims who thinks Galloway speaks their language.
    Which he does. Had to listen to him when he parked his flatback campaign lorry on Manningham Lane (illegally), blocking the traffic during the by-election.
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189

pinkrose said:

Yeah, im not sure how he arrives at that particular figure.

Working Tax credit is worth £55 per week per person
    Child Tax credit is worth £70 per week per child
    Child Benefit is worth £20 per week for 1st child £14 per week for every child after that
    Housing Benefit is can be worth hundreds of pounds per week depending on property need

Then there is council tax benefits, free school meals, clothing and school supplies allowances etc

And dont forget the "benefit cap" only applies to out of work benefits, ie JSA, ESA, Income support so all of the above are not subjected to the cap!
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273
    Galloway is polling 2% in London at present. He's finished and makes anyone who associates with him look odd. He has no machine and has no vote to deliver for out.

Bradford West (2015)

Naz Shah Labour 19,977 49.6 +24.6
    George Galloway Respect 8,557 21.2 −34.7
    George Grant Conservative 6,160 15.3 +6.9

Limehouse and Poplar (2010)

Labour Jim Fitzpatrick* 18,679 40.0 +4.7
    Conservative Tim Archer 12,649 27.1 +2.6
    Respect George Galloway* 8,460 17.5 -0.7
  • Options

Corbynites,bbc,sky,greens,sinn fein - all cameroons now .
  • Options
    865 comments? Surely a non-election record?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Tom said:

Galloway is polling 2% in London at present. He's finished and makes anyone who associates with him look odd. He has no machine and has no vote to deliver for out.

Bradford West (2015)

Like I said,when in power,you forget your base.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited February 2016
    Big moves to Rubio for Prez and nominee on BF.

Now 2nd favourite for Prez, after Clinton.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

hunchman said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Rubio move very curious - only leak I can think of is that Jeb! and/or Kasich are intending to endorse him after SC.

I don't see Jeb lasting beyond SC unless he gets 2nd or 3rd, which is seeming vanishingly unlikely at this point. He is very much the Establishment man, and they must be at the breaking point re wanting to bash heads together to get one candidate to take on Trump and Cruz.

Kasich may stay in longer to test the waters without Jeb around. But not beyond Super Tuesday unless he can show he is making ground against Rubio.
    Rubio then drops out after losing Florida on March 15th leaving Trump and Cruz to fight it out between them
    I've actually got a lot of time for Cruz on climate change:

http://www.npr.org/2015/12/09/459026242/scientific-evidence-doesn-t-support-global-warming-sen-ted-cruz-says

I disliked him for the Carson trick he pulled in Iowa, but at least he talks sense on the climate. And after the record low temperatures and record snowfalls they've had at times in the NE part of the USA this winter, a lot of them can see through the Obama nonsense.
    The increasing flooding in the southern states, the heatwaves and forest fires tell a different story
    Its been a typical El Nino winter as far as the US is concerned - the south west has been much wetter than usual - California really needed the rains, but they'll be straight back into a drought - they're at the start of an 80 year drought cycle through most of the 21st century. Yes there have been isolated parts of the world with heatwaves - that's normal with a really wavy jet stream that is a function of the decreasing solar activity right now. And this winter has been one of the coldest on record in Mexico, and cold in Central America in general. SE Asia has had it very cold too - snow recorded for the first time in Okinawa and parts of Vietnam. We've been fortunate to have a run of milder winters in Western Europe, but that will change once we get into la Nina conditions towards the end of 2016....and early forecasts suggest it could be a powerful la Nina too.

Its from 2019 though when the cooling will become really noticeable, going into the grand solar minimum around 2030. And thank goodness the Pakistani meteorological institute can see all of this, and has advised its people to start preparing for the world as it will be in 2030. Many in the west needless to say are totally unprepared.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Mortimer said:

MTimT said:

EPG said:

Mortimer said:

I don't really understand public sector resistance to any sort of criticism. Most teachers in private will comment on how so and so is hopeless or never marking work etc. Similarly it must be perfectly apparent on wards that some Junior Doctors are not as good as others.

Is the fact of public employment such that it encourages collaboration, rushing to mutual aid and the protection of poor performance? I wonder how we can harness the private sector ambition/promotion ladder that means poor performers tend to be identified and improved or axed.

How long have you been working in the private sector?
    I can assure you this is not really how it works in most places
    It tends to be how things work in world-leading companies and truly successful start-ups, but I'll grant that there are a lot of places of employment in the private sector that do not fall into that category, including all the beneficiaries of state corporatism and many monopolies.
    It is true - I've maybe been spoiled in my working career: start-up, consultancy, long term contract at leading retailer, founder of start up.

I assume part of it is the lack of an internal market - something which Gove has introduced with PPP. Plumbers will happily say how crap other plumbers are because the good ones will be better remunerated as a result.
    Even with plumbers it does not work that well as we all tend to be infrequent buyers of plumbers' services and hence have imperfect information. Hence the market niche available to the likes of Angie's List. But those lists soon become commercial entities, and hence less trustworthy sources of information.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Remember that in the 2010 election there was still a constituency of Blairite voters who stuck with Miliband because they were afraid that Cameron was a hardened Eurosceptic who was determined to take us out of the EU if he had a majority. Cameron has now sown up that block of voters.

The chances are good that this whole performance will prove to be another famous victory for the PM.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Jeremy Cliffe ‏@JeremyCliffe 54m54 minutes ago
    Jeremy Cliffe Retweeted Julien Cholin
    Different press conferences, different deal. Cameron: there will be treaty change. Hollande: no treaty change. #EUCO

As I said, the EU is already doing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsW9MlYu31g

Either that or Cameron is lying already.
    Goodnight.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Due to George Galloway's enduring box office appeal rather than Cameron's underwhelming deal.
  • Options

Corbynites,bbc,sky,greens,sinn fein - all cameroons now .
    SNP, Lib Dems, Plaid Cymru, Obama, British Business to name a few more.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Jeremy Cliffe ‏@JeremyCliffe 54m54 minutes ago
    Jeremy Cliffe Retweeted Julien Cholin
    Different press conferences, different deal. Cameron: there will be treaty change. Hollande: no treaty change. #EUCO

As I said, the EU is already doing this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsW9MlYu31g

Isn't it that the clause about ever closer union not applying to Britain will be introduced when their is treat change. So there won't be treaty change specifically to put it in, just at some nebulous later date?
  • Options
    TomTom Posts: 273

Tom said:

Bradford West (2015)

Either that or his base realising what a self serving ***t he is after they've elected him.
  • Options

Remember that in the 2010 election there was still a constituency of Blairite voters who stuck with Miliband because they were afraid that Cameron was a hardened Eurosceptic who was determined to take us out of the EU if he had a majority. Cameron has now sown up that block of voters.

The chances are good that this whole performance will prove to be another famous victory for the PM.

Pride comes before a fall, and one hell of a fall in Cameron's case given the long term cycles that are bearing down over these next 4 years.

Good night all.
  • Options

RobD said:

Due to George Galloway's enduring box office appeal rather than Cameron's underwhelming deal.
    How can one person be so wrong? It's clearly the excitement about the potential upcoming AV-related thread. :D
  • Options

John_N said:

MP_SE said:

And you have thousands of muslims who thinks Galloway speaks their language.
    Which he does. Had to listen to him when he parked his flatback campaign lorry on Manningham Lane (illegally), blocking the traffic during the by-election.
    I remember when he promised bradford the world,investment in the odeon,Arabs that would buy bradford city or investment in the bulls and all we finished up with was a politician who talked about Palestine hundreds of miles away.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    edited February 2016
    It looks like Hillary has serious money problems.

She has reportedly cancelled election meetings in South Carolina for Monday and Tuesday and will spend the time fundraising in California. It gives Bernie a 2 day head start in SC. Presumably her calculation is that her lead is big enough that it's a low risk decision.

Many of her celebrities have already contributed the max of $2700.00, so her network is becoming tapped out.

To add to her - potential - troubles, State released more emails today, of which 64 were classified.

Politically this doesn't matter. After being on the scene for decades, if you're for her you don't care, and if you're not it just proves what you thought about her all along.

It just adds to the overwhelming evidence in the case the FBI is building against her.
  • Options
    I forgot about absentee postal ballots:

Decision Desk HQ ‏@DecisionDeskHQ 23m23 minutes ago
    Returned absentee ballots for the Republican #SCPrimary stands at 56,903.
    That's just 5k shy of D+R primary abs from 08 & 12.
    Combined.

That's a good sign for Trump, large turnout equals lots of people who vote for the first time.

Postal voting for Super Tuesday states already started a few days ago.
    So Trump already has banked some votes.
  • Options
    Tom said:

Tom said:

Bradford West (2015)

Either that or his base realising what a self serving ***t he is after they've elected him.
    I agree but he still has thousands of fans who still listen to him.
  • Options
    Quiet! All of you!

Flash Gordon is on Film 4!
  • Options
    ViceroyViceroy Posts: 128
    I'm as right-wing as it comes but I rather like Galloway. Disagree with him on a lot but he's good when he is spot on (overseas adventures, the EU) and is a great media performer.

The Leave campaign need to understand this cannot just be a referendum on the everlasting Tory civil war on the issue. It has to appeal across the board and Galloway is a piece in that puzzle. Most of all good on the man for backing a great cause that is about the future of our country as a sovereign independent state. It's not about left vs right.

I'm optimistic and ready to leaflet like crazy. Bring it on.
  • Options

Quiet! All of you!

I'm watching it while posting ;-)
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    pinkrose said:

pinkrose said:

Yeah, im not sure how he arrives at that particular figure.

Working Tax credit is worth £55 per week per person
    Child Tax credit is worth £70 per week per child
    Child Benefit is worth £20 per week for 1st child £14 per week for every child after that
    Housing Benefit is can be worth hundreds of pounds per week depending on property need

Then there is council tax benefits, free school meals, clothing and school supplies allowances etc

And dont forget the "benefit cap" only applies to out of work benefits, ie JSA, ESA, Income support so all of the above are not subjected to the cap!
    If you are on JSA then Housing Benefit, Child Benefit and Child Tax Credits are part of the benefit cap.

But they aren't if you're not on JSA.
  • Options

Quiet! All of you!

Princess Aura or Dale Arden ;-)
  • Options
    Speedy said:

I forgot about absentee postal ballots:

Decision Desk HQ ‏@DecisionDeskHQ 23m23 minutes ago
    Returned absentee ballots for the Republican #SCPrimary stands at 56,903.
    That's just 5k shy of D+R primary abs from 08 & 12.
    Combined.

That's a good sign for Trump, large turnout equals lots of people who vote for the first time.

Postal voting for Super Tuesday states already started a few days ago.
    So Trump already has banked some votes.

Yup yup -Georgia started early voting Feb 8.
  • Options
    RobD

And had none with the YES campaign. Robinson was a disgrace during the referendum campaign, as even the Beeb high heid yins are aware. People are sympathetic because of his illness but that does not make his extraordinary conduct any more palatable or excusable.

It is therefore a bit late for posters here to start complaining about the institutional bias of the Beeb.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    Cricket fans, McCullum going crazy on sky sports 2, 50* off 35

Just been caught off a no ball, prob the best catch I've seen
  • Options

Quiet! All of you!

Is he still an MP?
  • Options
    Viceroy said:

I'm as right-wing as it comes but I rather like Galloway. Disagree with him on a lot but he's good when he is spot on (overseas adventures, the EU) and is a great media performer.

The Leave campaign need to understand this cannot just be a referendum on the everlasting Tory civil war on the issue. It has to appeal across the board and Galloway is a piece in that puzzle. Most of all good on the man for backing a great cause that is about the future of our country as a sovereign independent state. It's not about left vs right.

I'm optimistic and ready to leaflet like crazy. Bring it on.

Agree and well done.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Lest we forget, have a close look at my avatar. I don't say that to anyone, you know.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,167
    Tim_B said:

She has reportedly cancelled election meetings in South Carolina for Monday and Tuesday and will spend the time fundraising in California. It gives Bernie a 2 day head start in SC. Presumably her calculation is that her lead is big enough that it's a low risk decision.

Many of her celebrities have already contributed the max of $2700.00, so her network is becoming tapped out.

To add to her - potential - troubles, State released more emails today, of which 64 were classified.

Politically this doesn't matter. After being on the scene for decades, if you're for her you don't care, and if you're not it just proves what you thought about her all along.

It just adds to the overwhelming evidence in the case the FBI is building against her.

Yes but unless she is convicted of high treason and jailed constitutionally there is nothing the FBI can do to stop her running
  • Options
    scotslass said:

RobD

And had none with the YES campaign. Robinson was a disgrace during the referendum campaign, as even the Beeb high heid yins are aware. People are sympathetic because of his illness but that does not make his extraordinary conduct any more palatable or excusable.

It is therefore a bit late for posters here to start complaining about the institutional bias of the Beeb.

I did complain on here how hard done by was the yes/snp campaign for independence was treated by the bbc,that said,I was a supporter for Scottish independence.
  • Options
    27% of the population of South Carolina are current or former military. There are 5 major military installations there.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Italian author, Umberto Eco has died aged 84.
  • Options

Lest we forget, have a close look at my avatar. I don't say that to anyone, you know.

George and Ruth show ;-)
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Thanks again. I was amused by that GCSE question in June 8 months ago now that was basically to form the equation 6/x * 5/(x-1) = 1/3 that was just a quadratic equation of x^2-x-90 = 0 which factorised as (x-10)(x+9) = 0 take the positive x solution of 10....and it caused absolute uproar which I found astounding! Forming an equation to solve a problem is a core mathematical skill. Why it should have caused so much offence was beyond me!

Bingo. That's the one that I mentioned that David H solved on here for us!

To be honest, from the point of view of very basic numeracy (the valuable skill of "number-sense", being able to approximate solutions to real-world problems, or to use a calculator or spreadsheet to solve basic problems with interest rates or exchange rates) that's actually too high a standard to be expecting of people. A lot of people get by in life without seeing a quadratic equation after the age of 16.

But the flip side is that for others of us, these skills are so basic that they fundamentally underpin our careers. And if we are equipped with these tools, we can use them to solve issues in our everyday lives too (I often will use something like the sum of a geometric progression - an A-level topic - to do some personal financial planning, as well as other things that go well beyond the scope of A-level).

Anybody who wants to do A-level maths really should be able to write and solve an equation at GCSE, at the kind of level of difficulty you mention (and sadly, many can't, which is why I disagree with the diagnosis that maths teaching should focus more on numeracy and less on algebra, at least for higher tier students... it's just too late to try to teach all this stuff at A-level). And anybody who finds themselves studying physics, chemistry, engineering, economics, finance or computer science is going to be seeing this as an absolute prerequisite to succeed at university. Even people reading geography study modelling (hydrology, glaciers) and statistics, people reading psychology study psychometrics, and so on - if they are unable to deal with abstract concepts, and just basic arithmetic, they will not develop the skills that they need either for their degree or for their graduate careers.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Tim_B said:

27% of the population of South Carolina are current or former military. There are 5 major military installations there.

It will be a real body blow to the Bush clan if Trump scores a convincing win (and Jeb! comes last).
  • Options
    scotslass said:

RobD

I'm shocked. A journalist didn't say no to a chance for a briefing from the PM. Did the SNP even ask for one?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Isn't running out of money at this point a bit inconvenient given that March is somewhat busy, election-wise?
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398
    Although a confirmed Inner I think some of the Leave brigade on here grossly overreacted to gorgeous George's appearance at their meeting of the converted. He is downright wrong on some issues but nevertheless articulate and amusing (even if unintentionally at times) and a crowd puller. At some point he might like to square his support for the Scotland remaining part of the UK with his professed desire to leave the EU but that's for another day.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

Tim_B said:

Isn't running out of money at this point a bit inconvenient given that March is somewhat busy, election-wise?
    Her campaign has been profligate from the get go, so despite raising near record amounts of cash, she hasn't benefited from it the way she might have.
  • Options
    isam said:

Cricket fans, McCullum going crazy on sky sports 2, 50* off 35

Just been caught off a no ball, prob the best catch I've seen

Got to his century in 54 balls - fastest in history. The Aussies have been reduced to playing with a back stop.

• Options
    Daniel Kawczynski MP ✔ @KawczynskiMP
    I officially informed my local Association Party Chairman this evening that I will be voting to leave EU. Excited about forthcoming campaign
  • Options
    Rupert Murdoch ✔ @rupertmurdoch
    Congratulations Michael Gove. Friends always knew his principles would overcome his personal friendships.
  • Options

pinkrose said:

John_N said:

MP_SE said:

Obviously Galloway has cherrypicked the constituencies he can appeal to the best but in 2015 he didn't even come close in Bradford West. The notion that all Muslims are Galloway-voters or even sympathetic to him is fallacious.
    Don't know who said all muslims were galloway fans,thousands were when he took bradford west but like I said about forgetting your roots.
    Of course some are but I never said none are. I said most aren't which is a very different claim. Galloway appeals to some voters he doesn't appeal to 2 million Muslim voters which is the claim I rejected.
  • Options

Quiet! All of you!

General Kala - only kidding :lol:
  • Options

pinkrose said:

John_N said:

MP_SE said:

Of course some are but I never said none are. I said most aren't which is a very different claim. Galloway appeals to some voters he doesn't appeal to 2 million Muslim voters which is the claim I rejected.
    Thing about Galloway,the 2 million muslim voters proberly give him a listen than most other politicians,so it's only a good thing for out.
  • Options

Quiet! All of you!

lol
  • Options

Quiet! All of you!

Dispatch war rocket ajax to bring back his body!!
This discussion has been closed.