Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Back at Westminster the wait continues

Comments

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

SeanT said:

I'm putting a bet on Remain getting 70% plus.

George Galloway!

These people are fucking idiots.

Next they'll be trumpeting an endorsement from Nick Griffin

How could they be so tin-eared??

Bizarre. Friend of Islamo-fascists AND Saddam Hussein, Geo Galloway.

Fantastic.
    I bet Gove is going to back Remain now.

He's not going to fancy spending the next four months touring the country with Galloway ahd Farage
    Why not, David Davis is.
    That just proves (again)what poor judgment Davis has.

The Tories have rightly lambasted Corbyn and his friends as the terrorists' appeasers and friends. And this bit of the Leave campaign have jumped into bed with one of the biggest appeasers and justifiers around. Appalling judgment.

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990

Is it time to open the membership to moderate wavering outers wanting a new liberal Tory party not obsessed with Europe, Gays etc

Monarchist and republican flavours are available.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341

So let me get this straight - just because Galloway backs LEAVE, you traitorous, perfidious REMAINERS are going to consign Britain to another 40 years of Brussels-Directive-Raj?

Seriously guys?

Indeed...Hollande....Tsipras....
  • Options

Is it time to open the membership to moderate wavering outers wanting a new liberal Tory party not obsessed with Europe, Gays etc

Free membership for the first 1,000 new members
  • Options

I'm putting a bet on Remain getting 70% plus.

George Galloway!

These people are fucking idiots.

Next they'll be trumpeting an endorsement from Nick Griffin

The remain proberly have sinn fein wanting Britain in the EU,Corbyns mates.

You remember corbyn,the far left labour leader who supports remain.
    Nice try but epic fail.
    All the major parties are supportive of EU membership, which is hardly surprising since we have been members for gawd knows how many years. They also support union with Scotland. We hear regular sick comments from the usual fruit loops on here about how they would like to leave the EU and a bonus would be the Scots fecking off as well . It just shows how far out on a sagging limb the mad hysterics of the Leavers are.
  • Options
    Hello Mr and Mrs Cabinet Minister,

Would you like to join the stage with Messrs Davis, Farage and Galloway?

No?

I saw on periscope an old boy leaving saying it was bad enough Galloway being there but why hadn't Carswell even turned up.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,002
    edited February 2016
    Which political parties have pulled off the most publicised by election successes this decade?
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    MP_SE said:

SeanT said:

There's little chance Boris will come out for LEAVE now.

They've possibly destroyed their campaign on Day 1. Insane.

Why why why give this utterly toxic man centre stage.
    He was my MP once - lol
  • Options

This is someone who I consider a political weathervane

https://twitter.com/DavidRoe92/status/700797571460153345

I remember him at PB but I can't recall what name he posted under.
    Hope he comes back to posting again, he did reappear last September! Chap was solid. Much missed.
  • Options

Sign me up
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:

@KateEMcCann: The special guest CAN'T actually be George Galloway... Can it?!

Forget Gove, that will get ALL the headlines. Galloway will rally a few of the hard left for leave but if he is on a platform with Farage it is a coup for Cameron, it will be Benn and Powell 1975 the sequel!
    Galloway, for real?
    He is on a platform with DAVID DAVIS you dimwit. I could not give a monkey's about Farage. DAVID DAVIS, Tim Momtgomerie's representative on earth.
    All the people who loathe Cameron, Farage, Galloway and Davis in one spot. Galloway is a Corbyn backer so suggests Corbyn is lukewarm about Remain. Galloway may be mad but he is the best orator of his generation which should make the campaign fun, especially having him on the same platform as Colonel Mustard!
  • Options

David Cameron 'I have achieved special status for the UK' - Press conference shortly

Conveniently timed for the news at ten. Suspicious.. :p
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

So let me get this straight - just because Galloway backs LEAVE, you traitorous, perfidious REMAINERS are going to consign Britain to another 40 years of Brussels-Directive-Raj?

Seriously guys?

It is because the Leave campaign think Galloway is an appropriate spokeman for them.

Like deciding not to vote for Labour because you think Corbyn is a dangerous moron.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    In the last hour:

Remain tightens from 1.52 to 1.44
    Leave drifts from 2.88 to 3.2
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Come on guys,you have to take ALL views from the political world(even Galloway)

Galloway has plenty of supporters and he's good in debates.

No, it's a disastrous choice. Galloway is fine doing hustings in northern towns, but keep him there. Elsewhere, eek, no.

But LEAVE might - just - be lucky in their timing. It will all be overshadowed by news of the "deal". Maybe.
    Are you worried now then
    Given that I am, at the latest estimation, about 55% LEAVE I wouldn't be thrown into despair by either result. I've been fiercely eurosceptic and oddly europhile over the last decade as oldtime pb-ers will attest.

But I can sense a massive political error when I see it. And Galloway is that. DUH.

It may not be fatal, thanks to the timing. But it is ominous.
    In barely one hour the games has changed dramatically from leave to remain.
  • Options
    RobD said:

We are a broad church.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @StevenTikolo: David Davis walks out on @georgegalloway
  • Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642
    Respect received a total of 9,989 votes at the 2015 general election. It is not even like Galloway has 500,000 voters backing his party. He is a complete irrelevance.
  • Options
    Up and down the country there are lefties saying, "Michael Gove, leave...seriously?" and then , "If I vote remain, I'm backing Cameron....seriously?"
  • Options
    scoopscoop Posts: 64
    I think you could hold your nose and vote with Farage but George Galloway impossible
  • Options
    I don't like Galloway's opinions on anything much - but he's unquestionably one of the most charismatic politicians in the country. If he can discipline himself to only talking about EU issues then he'll surely be an asset to the LEAVE campaign and deliver voters that Farage and such can never reach without him.

As a REMAINER I'm far more worried by Galloway than by Gove.
  • Options

RobD said:

We are a broad church.
    TPDs need not apply.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Aargh - Tony Marlow's blazer was my opening line.

Sod it. It still is.
  • Options

Sign me up
    There is a pre vetting stage, is quite simple

Q1) Which was the most enjoyable result on election night

a) Rochester and Strood

or

b) Thanet South
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    MikeL said:

In the last hour:

Remain tightens from 1.52 to 1.44
    Leave drifts from 2.88 to 3.2

Yes, well.

My vote will be nothing to do with the personalities on each side, from a pure intellectual standpoint I simply think we're better off out the EU.

But a team of George Galloway, Peter Bone and Nigel Farage heading round the country is going to be a complete fucking disaster for leave. Most people are swayed by this sort of thing.
  • Options
    Off Topic

***** BETTING POST *****

If Ferrari's all new Formula 1 car is as brilliant as it's being cracked up to be in this Daily Mail piece:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/formulaone/article-3454699/Ferrari-unveil-car-kick-bid-end-eight-year-barren-run-2016-season.html

..... then it must have some sort of chance against the might of the hitherto all-conquering Mercedes in the upcoming 2016 season. Unfortunately Sebastian Vettel doesn't look any sort of value as their No. 1 driver to win the championship at measly odds of 4/1, but Kimi Raikkonen at 40/1 available with several firms (or one third of those odds each way to finish 1st or 2nd) looks quite tasty. I've had a modest fiver's worth.

DYOR.
  • Options

This is someone who I consider a political weathervane

https://twitter.com/DavidRoe92/status/700797571460153345

I remember him at PB but I can't recall what name he posted under.
    Lucian Fletcher
  • Options

Sign me up

a) Rochester and Strood

or

b) Thanet South
    Trick question. Morley and Outwood.

Oops!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Davis didn’t even know Galloway would be appearing alongside him on stage? – What kind of amateurish pish is this from the Leave side…
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Seriously guys?

It is because the Leave campaign think Galloway is an appropriate spokeman for them.

Like deciding not to vote for Labour because you think Corbyn is a dangerous moron.
    But Galloway won't become PM if LEAVE win (Corbyn MAY become PM if Labour win in 2020 - but that's pretty unlikely!)
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

We are a broad church.
    TPDs need not apply.
    correct... repenting is encouraged however but never forgiven.
  • Options
    edited February 2016

Scott_P said:

Davis didn’t even know Galloway would be appearing alongside him on stage? – What kind of amateurish pish is this from the Leave side…
    Do your research before you copy n paste... Jacob Rees Mogg is not on Twitter

https://twitter.com/wikiguido/status/700791006783004673
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    If Cameron has got a no further political union clause then thats a very big thing

No, it really isn't. It's just a few words on a piece of paper.
  • Options
    Remain 1.41
    Leave 3.35

Major movement.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @faisalislam: Danish PM with a number 10 dream tweet https://t.co/ymUCHWHjsC
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Seriously guys?

For the first time SeantT talks sense.
    After banging on about Murdering Muslims since forever, he now sees Leave thinking its a neat idea to have an arch apologist for Islamic fundamental terrorists as someone to speak on his behalf!
  • Options
    BBC claiming City of London safeguards achieved.
  • Options

Hello Mr and Mrs Cabinet Minister,

Would you like to join the stage with Messrs Davis, Farage and Galloway?

No?

I saw on periscope an old boy leaving saying it was bad enough Galloway being there but why hadn't Carswell even turned up.

I thought Carswell was with the other lot. It is interesting - and a bit worrying - that GO, which is effectively just a rebranded Leave.EU, have managed to convince everyone quite so comprehensively that they are the voice of the LEAVE campaign. The final decision by the Electoral Commission on this will be very interesting.
  • Options

David Cameron 'I have achieved special status for the UK' - Press conference shortly

Like the lands that are now the Czech Republic had "special status" in the German Empire of 1939?
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

At the moment my reaction is this. I feel about Galloway much as Mr Meeks feels about the Kippers. And his involvement will likely have the same effect on me as the Kippers have on Mr M.

A Britain where Galloway and his ilk play any sort of part is not a Britain I want to have anything to do with. It will be illiberal and nasty. For all its many faults, the EU is better than Galloway and his friends.

I absolutely share your view of Galloway but I have to ask, which side were you on in the Scottish Independence vote? If you were in favour of the Union then you were on the same side as Galloway who played a prominent role in the campaign.

This is a stupid, crass and self destructive move by GO but to be honest it is no more than I would expect from Farage and it won't make any difference to the fundamental arguments one way or another.
    I didn't have a strong view on the IndyRef issue. If anything I leaned towards independence.

The EU issue is a very finely balanced one for me. I utterly despise Galloway, Corbyn and people like them. They have brought the politics of the left into the gutter with their associations with and tolerance of anti-Semites, terrorist organizations, dictators and the rest.

I do not want people like them to play any part in the governance of this country or in shaping its political culture or even its day-to-day norms. And I certainly don't want a Britain outside the EU to be one where people like him have free rein to spread their wholly negative and poisonous views.

Galloway supports the sort of people who would throw my son off a tall building and then stone him if he happened to survive.

This is personal.

• Options
    @Samfr: Farage, Galloway, Cash, Bone on the same bill. Move over Dante we've found the eighth circle of hell...
  • Options

Like the lands that are now the Czech Republic had "special status" in the German Empire of 1939?
    Has Cameron just secured Dominion status for the UK? :D:p
  • Options
    One thing I can take away from today is the political class really is clueless and out of touch.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Of course as pointed out Better Together also thought Galloway was an appropriate spokeman for them as well putting him up for official events.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    edited February 2016

Don't be so stupid. There was nothing funny about the German occupation of Europe.
  • Options
    flightpath01flightpath01 Posts: 4,903
    edited February 2016
    Scott_P said:
    At least Galloway had the good sense not to wear a tie. Sad that Farage did not wear a hat.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    The only hope is this walk-out kills Grassroots Out. George Galloway and the Coalition of the Unwilling....
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,369
    Cyclefree said:

At the moment my reaction is this. I feel about Galloway much as Mr Meeks feels about the Kippers. And his involvement will likely have the same effect on me as the Kippers have on Mr M.

A Britain where Galloway and his ilk play any sort of part is not a Britain I want to have anything to do with. It will be illiberal and nasty. For all its many faults, the EU is better than Galloway and his friends.

Last time I saw George Galloway was in a by-election campaign. He shouted "Murderer!" at me, and hurried on. Unsubtle chap.

Incidentally, I predicted a deal either this evening or tomorrow morning. Count me as PB's EU sage.

• Options
    ... and another thrown is cheered as if its a penalty
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Don't be so stupid. There was nothing funny about the German occupation of Europe.
    Germany still dominates Europe via the EU.

LEAVE = RAF
    EU = Luftwaffe
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    edited February 2016
    Is there any reason why Dan Hannan isn't leading the Leave campaign.

I know no politician ticks everyone's box but Hannan is articulate, considered, unfailingly polite and - most importantly of all - very bloody persuasive.

I'd say he's the best informed anti-EU'r in the world.
  • Options

Sign me up

a) Rochester and Strood

or

b) Thanet South
    Tough to choose, but I'll go c) Morley and Outwood
  • Options
    Fenster said:

I know no politician ticks everyone's box but Hannan is articulate, considered, unfailingly polite and - most importantly of all - very bloody persuasive.

I'd say he's the best informed anti-EU'r I'm the world.

His past comments on the NHS are a hindrance
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    As a perennial worrier, and coward, a small and guilty part of me would not be devastated if I voted Leave but Remain won, allowing me to be self satisfied without facing any risk from my action, even though I feel the risks are worth it.

Given the puddle of emotional mess I became during the IndyRef, I'm beginning to despise what referenda apparently reveal about my weak will.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MikeL said:

Remain 1.41
    Leave 3.35

Major movement.

Rightly so. I do believe this is a calamity for LEAVE.

I'm feeling sad. I wanted a proper, close debate and then to make a proper, tightly contested decision. But it now looks foregone.

Pffff.
    Not saying this will happen but there must be a real chance it turns into a landslide - ie carbon copy of AV - starts close but ends up 2:1.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,894
    Evening all :)

"I have in my hand a print out of an email signed by Mr Tusk promising an opt-out on ever closer Union in our time and some other things" D Cameron 19th Feb 2016

As expected, it's all amateur dramatics for Cameron and amateur theatrics for Grassroots Out. Ho hum - the "deal" may hold up for a few hours or it may not but the gun will be fired and we'll have enough time to enjoy Royal Ascot and being knocked out of Euro 2016 before we have to vote.
  • Options

@Samfr: Farage, Galloway, Cash, Bone on the same bill. Move over Dante we've found the eighth circle of hell...

Don't worry your remain hat on,it will soon turn to camerons sell out.
  • Options
    The protection for the city clause which has been posted on the Telegraph site doesn't look like much protection to me. It simply says that if one non Eurozone member disagrees there will be further discussion and every effort made to answer their concerns. It doesn't actually say the decision will have to be changed just that the Council will do

'all in its power to reach, ...[snipped some waffle about time limits] ... a satisfactory solution to address concerns raised by the member"

Of course this is only a snapshot but if that is it then it is no protection at all.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/eureferendum/12164607/EU-referendum-eu-summit-david-cameron-brexit-live.html
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,422
    edited February 2016
    Twitter feed:

George Galloway
    Just started trending

Lol.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Last time I saw George Galloway was in a by-election campaign. He shouted "Murderer!" at me, and hurried on. Unsubtle chap.

Incidentally, I predicted a deal either this evening or tomorrow morning. Count me as PB's EU sage.

There are no polite words to describe Galloway. I would call him a C*** save that the latter is wonderful and useful. And Galloway is neither.

Still, congratulations on your EU Sage Status!

• Options

The only hope is this walk-out kills Grassroots Out. George Galloway and the Coalition of the Unwilling....

GO has Farage, Leave's Salmond and most of the grassroots so of course it will be the main campaign
  • Options
    Well the Telegraph and Express front pages are Gove backing Leave. Hopefully Galloway can bugger off and keep a low profile.

O well, glad I managed to back Remain on Betfair for 1.53 and 1.51 the last couple of days. Has brought my average up quite nicely.
  • Options

Twitter feed:

George Galloway
    Just started trending

Lol.

innocent face
  • Options
    BBC1 10pm News is a 100% Cameron love in.

You almost wonder if Dave choreographed it for agreement just before 10pm.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Of course as pointed out Better Together also thought Galloway was an appropriate spokeman for them as well putting him up for official events.

Yep,not a peep on here when old George was fighting for the union.
  • Options
    I'm feeling sad. I wanted a proper, close debate and then to make a proper, tightly contested decision. But it now looks foregone.

Ah the usual hysterical overreaction
  • Options
    SeanT said:

isam said:

... and another thrown is cheered as if its a penalty

No, this is more than a throw in. This is like a red card about ten minutes after kick off.
    Galloway is an articulate public speaker who a lot of lefties like and has had the establishment over more than once
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MikeL said:

Remain 1.41
    Leave 3.35

Major movement.

Pffff.
    To be fair you appear to have been very much for leave but all along I said I would not commit until the deal is announced. Judging by the media coverage this seems to have been a triumph for David Cameron and I am absolutely now in the remain cap.
  • Options

Christ you are rattled.

I've spent most of the evening praising/cheering Michael Gove's decision.

All of that good work has been undone, just look at the posts of Miss Cyclefree and SeanT on this
  • Options

Sign me up

a) Rochester and Strood

or

b) Thanet South
    d) Twickenham?
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Robert Peston on ITV. I never fail to be fascinated by his speaking manner.

Takes me back to the days when we'd do really trippy MDMA and stare at the telly going woooahh.

He is one weird fucking dude.
  • Options
    Cameron gets his deal..... Leave gets Galloway, what a difference a few hours makes!!!!!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

I suppose there was a big push to get it done before 10pm as a sort of deadline. Saturday morning doesn't seem like the best time to announce something of this magnitude.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

MikeL said:

Remain 1.41
    Leave 3.35

Major movement.

Pffff.
    It could be close yet. Remain won't be able to keep Eddie Izzard and Polly Toynbee under wraps till June.
  • Options
    Cabinet meeting 10.00 am.
  • Options
    Cameron statement and press conference just begun on BBC 10 O'clock news now
  • Options

Sign me up

a) Rochester and Strood

or

b) Thanet South
    d) Bradford West - one for the connoisseurs...
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Allo Allo was.
  • Options
    Cameron recommends Remain....
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

Christ you are rattled.

All of that good work has been undone, just look at the posts of Miss Cyclefree and SeanT on this
    Calm down dears - this deal is worth not much and will unravel like a Gordon Brown budget.

The scare stories start tomorrow.
  • Options
    Cameron confirms he will recommend Britain stays in the EU and will lead the Remain campaign as he sets out the deal
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    BBC1 and ITV both broadcasting Cameron statement live in full (so far).

He fixed this for sure!
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205
    Cameron has protected our right to keep the pound. Vote Remain!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Sign me up

a) Rochester and Strood

or

b) Thanet South
    d) Bradford West - one for the connoisseurs...
    My personal favourite was Edinburgh South. It was the only seat I was backing Labour in in Scotland, and bought about the thai.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Cam live - this deal means we don't join be Euro.

Wow.
  • Options
    Cameron: UK can pull lever on its own.
  • Options

Oh please your conception of the importance of this blog is ridiculous
  • Options
    George Galloway? The Leave side want to woo Tory waverers with George Galloway???
  • Options

Christ you are rattled.

Rattled,laughing at the post on here at the pretend out,they always need a soft reason to stay in.

lol
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    SeanT said:

MikeL said:

It's grotesque, isn't it?

"Cameron's team will be delighted", blah blah blah "He had to fight so hard". yadda yadda

WTF. Let me decide whether they should be delighted, or how hard they fought. Just report the facts.

I start to empathise with Scot Nats, vis a vis the Beeb.
    The BBC seem to believe that the most important issue in any story is the mood of the people involved. It's a pernicious way to report high-level politics.
  • Options

Christ you are rattled.

Rattled,laughing at the post on here at the pretend out,they always need a soft reason to stay in.

lol
    Have I said I'm backing Remain tonight?
  • Options

Fenster said:

I'd say he's the best informed anti-EU'r I'm the world.

His past comments on the NHS are a hindrance
    Hannan almost single handedly cost the Tories the 2010 election and indeed you could argue that his absurd comments did undermine the Tories at a vital pre election time.
  • Options
    Cameron

1 UK will keep the £ and no bailout for eurozone and no eurozone undermining of single market and no forced relocations of financial services firms to eurozone. UK can activate a unilateral safeguard if needed
    2 EU will ensure competitiveness and complete single market and completion of global trade agreements

• Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Galloway. Are they f-ing insane?

Farage trying to keep his job in the EU?

What bitter madness is this?

Hopefully the (inevitable) fallout from the deal will swamp it.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    EU-lover, obsessed with all things EU and utterly desperate to remain in the club at ANY and ALL costs, Cameron announces he's going to recommend we remain...

Who saw that one coming? ;)
This discussion has been closed.