Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so now we turn to leader resignations triggering off ma

SystemSystem Posts: 11,698
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » And so now we turn to leader resignations triggering off maybe 3 leadership contests

A problem for the LDs is that there are only eight MPs to choose from. Front runner must be Tim Farron and my guess is that he compete against the North Norfolk MP, Norman Lamb.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Good result for the Tories obviously but among the top issues for the Tories for the next year would be trying to get members and footsoldiers back, creating a mass membership party again, and also working out how to appeal to urban and poorer voters. Here in Birmingham it is almost totally a no-go area for the Tories, with the party only winning one (middle class) seat
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,980
    edited May 2015
    FPT

Flag Quote · Off Topic
    Options
    isam Posts: 14,732
    11:16AM edited 11:16AM
    currystar said:
    » show previous quotes
    Did you not say that farage would definitely win? I'm just stating facts. How many posts have you made telling us of all the fantastic odds that you have on ukip winning loads of different seats and how we are stupid for not backing them? I lose at gambling most of the time as we all do that's why I very rarely recommend anyone backing anything i do . I still haven't got over western warhorse.The 13.0 that I mentioned on here and backed in the middle of last night is a happy exception.
    I never said anyone was stupid for not backing them

If you are a serious gambler who turns over a lot of money every day, then consistently beating the odds is more important than short term profit,. I beat the odds in this GE and did have some fantastic prices that tumbled, but ended up losing money . Id do the same again tmrw

As I said I have had a v good week gambling this week. Yesterday was a level day because of election losses

I did say Farage would definitely win, I thought he would. Thurrock too fair enough. Backing a 16/1 shot that goes off 8/11 and loses in a photo isn't worthy of being called a bad tip
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    We really are going to get 3 leaders standing down aren't we? Amazing.
  • Options
    Tory backbenchers now hold the whip hand
  • Options
    Just think about this: the Conservatives will have around 100 seats more than Labour. Incredible.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    FPT:

The following seats have been counting for more than 13 hours:

Luton North
    Luton South
    Devon Central
    The Cotswolds
    Wells
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Four if you include Scottish Labour, I imagine
  • Options
    isam said:

As you've been wrong about everything maybe take a break from political tips on here.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,289
    Farage standing down - Evans acting leader - sky news.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,556
    Farage quits as leader.

Suzanne Evans made leader Pro Tempore
  • Options
    Farage stands down.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Farage resigning.
  • Options
    Farage resigns as UKIP leader.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    dr_spyn said:

Farage standing down - Evans acting leader - sky news.

Kaching,
  • Options
    Might run again as leader.
  • Options

isam said:

As you've been wrong about everything maybe take a break from political tips on here.
    What are you talking about? I won money by betting against people on here
  • Options
    acf2310acf2310 Posts: 141
    Farage might stand to come back as leader in the Autumn...
  • Options
    But might stand again.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,881

Clinging on apparently (which puzzles me). Apparently a press conference later on.

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Leadership election for UKIP in September.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    Errrrr he might stand again????

• Options
    KingaKinga Posts: 59
    Er, is Farage not resigning?
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    LDs lose Wells to Con. No figures yet:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14001026
  • Options
    Conservatives on 325. 1 to win.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    Nigel Farage.

Boom.

Err...

Boomerang.

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,955
    isam said:

What will be interesting is when the open positioning starts to replace Cameron. Presumably it will be pretty soon after the referendum, but candidates will want to start building support bases before then and they are going to have to take views on the referendum vote.

• Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    BBC not even at Farage's resignation on the cliff top.
  • Options

See Graun feed at 11.17 - Mr M will stay on

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2015/may/08/election-2015-live-labour-and-libdems-crushed-in-shock-election-result

“We have been overwhelmed by history.”

He says it will take time for the divisions of the referendum to fade back into distinctions between left and right.

He says he and deputy Kezia Dugdale, elected last year, had not had enough time to steer Labour back to where it needs to be.

Libby Brooks
    @libby_brooks Jim Murphy is not resigning: determined to offer period of stability and be leader of fightback #GE2015

• Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Cons over line.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    Bye bye Tessa Munt....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    It means Labour piled on some votes, but in all the wrong places. In an election where they needed to reach out beyond the base, this looks a lot like a (perhaps unintentional) core vote strategy. The Tories were simply that much more effective in the marginals.

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/election-2015-32610187
  • Options
    SeanT said:

How many party leaders has Cameron seen off now?

Brown, Miliband, Clegg, Salmond, Farage...

Blair. Kennedy, Ming Campbell as well.
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: It's a Vicky Pollard resignation!
  • Options
    Tories hold Devon Central with massive majority of 21,265:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/politics/constituencies/E14000623
  • Options
    isam said:

Yes. They can always threaten to resign and join UKIP if they don't get their way.....
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Carnyx said:

Surprising. I would have thought they needed to start rebuilding in Scotland quite urgently, in preparation for Holyrood 2016, and that a new face untainted by last night's disaster would be a high priority.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724
    AndyJS said:
    You mean lose,
  • Options
    I still owe IOS lunch for our bet about EdM being gone by the end of 2013. I am waiting to hear from him.
  • Options

It means Labour piled on some votes, but in all the wrong places. In an election where they needed to reach out beyond the base, this looks a lot like a (perhaps unintentional) core vote strategy. The Tories were simply that much more effective in the marginals.

The 35% tactic worked really well.
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492
    Ukip can point to number of votes and claim progress, hard to see where Labour and Libs go from here. What price a referendum in 2017 now they have a majority?
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276

Carnyx said:

Surprising. I would have thought they needed to start rebuilding in Scotland quite urgently, in preparation for Holyrood 2016, and that a new face untainted by this disaster would be a high priority.
    They should have gone for Neil Findlay in the autumn, untained by Blairism
  • Options
    Andrew Mitchell claiming there will be a renegotiation before the referendum. How long are the Tories going to continue to peddle this sophistry?
  • Options
    We should also take a moment to mourn other casualties of this campaign,such as

#CameronMustGo

Chortle
  • Options

Yep, this was always going to happen. The RedLDs were much more prevalent in safe Labour seats. They only voted LD in 2010 because it was relatively risk-free. In marginal they held their noses and voted Labour.

• Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Just emerging bleary-eyed after a nap after a very long night. Just in time for Clegg's resignation statement followed quickly by Ed's.

I've learned that complex computer models based solely on polls are useless. Rubbish in - rubbish out!

Had six winning bets (Clegg to go in 2015, Watford Con, Richmond Park Con, Kingston Con, Lab seats in Scot, Brighton Pav Green) but two big losers (Lab minority gov and Lab most seats). About £200 down.

Ironically my investment in Berkeley Homes Group has risen by £6000 this morning now the threat of mansion tax has gone. A small consolation.
  • Options
    Clegg!
  • Options
    edited May 2015

isam said:

Yes. They can always threaten to resign and join UKIP if they don't get their way.....
    Well it would only take 5 or 6 and that'd be the majority gone

But seriously it does prob make it harder for Cameron to do what he wants as he had more in common w lib dems than some of his backbenchers. So to get votes through he is relying on Jackson, Rees Mogg and Hollobone rather than Clegg laws and Browne
  • Options
    Clegg about to go now.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Surprising. I would have thought they needed to start rebuilding in Scotland quite urgently, in preparation for Holyrood 2016, and that a new face untainted by this disaster would be a high priority.
    There's also the technical but real issue of whether Mr M can remain leader without being a MP or MSP. He was rumoured to have taken legal advice on it some weeks/months back but no idea if that was ever corroborated - however the Times seems pretty sure of it. if this is so them it's up to the NEC in London. (Which might upset the MSPs even more, after having a MP coming up to show the locals how to do it.)

http://action4equalityscotland.blogspot.co.uk/2015/04/jim-no-jobs-murphy.html

• Options
    Clegg resigns.
  • Options
    Nick Clegg stepping down.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

UKIP second in 118 seats. Its new leader inherits a good position.

Do you know how many of these are "marginals", in the sense of being within 10% of the winner?

Coming third in Thurrock, but less than 1,000 votes and 2% behind first is obviously more promising than being more than 30% behind in a useless second in Sunderland somewhere.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651
    No-one started speculating about the next cabinet yet?

And a majority should mean an EU referendum in 2017. I'm expecting Cameron to find some excuse to wriggle out of it, but we shall see.
  • Options
    I think we can now consign the anti-Tory party to history in England and Wales.

This really has been a game-changing election in so many ways. Almost all the old certainties have been laid to waste.
  • Options
    The most sanctimonious charlatan in Britain has resigned. Rejoice!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

#CameronMustGo

Chortle

Hey, it was trending on twitter for days and days...

The twitter is all powerful... or not.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Thank you for your service Nick. Wrong party, but he's a good man who's done a good job for the country.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    We've a lot of grandstand type events in a short space of time: 3 resignations + Cameron's trip to the palace and speech.
  • Options
    Tories currently on 325 seats. The Cotswolds is probably going to be number 326.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311

I did say this earlier this week but I was making the case for Tories largest party on level vote shares.

The effect of the lib dems collapse in south west will be many more votes for Labour for no return. And the opposite has happened in Scotland. Whereas they used to have say 4 - 5 % of their vote share tied up in Scotland, they would get 40 seats for that. Now it is 1 from say 3% of their vote.
  • Options
    acf2310acf2310 Posts: 141
    Scott_P said:

#CameronMustGo

Chortle

Maybe Ed can give his stone to the #Milifandom girl as a souvenir.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    Sorry to see Clegg go, he had a tough hand to play and got no thanks for it.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Clegg = bit of class
  • Options

This really has been a game-changing election in so many ways. Almost all the old certainties have been laid to waste.

England has and always will be a small-c consverative country. Blair understood that, that why New labour was needed.
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

And a majority should mean an EU referendum in 2017. I'm expecting Cameron to find some excuse to wriggle out of it, but we shall see.

There's not a snowflake's chance in hell of him wriggling out of it, nor will he want to. Politics doesn't come more certain than this.
  • Options

I don't understand why the junior member of a coalition usually ends up taking most of the blame for its unpopularity.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    For those who missed it:
    28 Jan 12 / 09:31 Single 1 May 2015 UK General Election Result – General Election Result Conservative Majority @ 13/8 – £AB.CC O/*******/########/F
    Bet with your head and plan for the future.

:triumph:
  • Options
    As a Tory we really have shafted the Lib Dems.

I feel guilty.
  • Options

Ukip can point to number of votes and claim progress, hard to see where Labour and Libs go from here. What price a referendum in 2017 now they have a majority?

There'll be a referendum after 'renegotiation'. Dave will recommend staying in. We'll stay in by a fairly large majority. If we don't Scotland will demand another Indyref and will probably win it.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886
    edited May 2015
    Two down, one to go.... And we're saving the best until last! :smiley:
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,886

I feel guilty.

Er, they've shafted themselves... #manup
  • Options

I feel guilty.

So you should!
  • Options
    TV News retweeted
    Libby Wiener ‏@LibbyWienerITV 1m1 minute ago
    Senior Labour advisers have left party HQ as Ed Miliband prepares to announce he's quitting @itvnews
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,977
    Clegg really is a class act. Thoguht he was a great leader and deserves a huge amount of respect
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    I have to say I am very sad to see Nick CLegg resign.

In 2010 He and the lib dems made a massive decision to join a coalition which they stood by for the entire 5 years. They did what they had to do and they for once put the country before the party and themselves.

That alone should and must never be forgotten. History will judge them kindly even though the ballot boxes were quite cruel.

Well done Nick I hope that this is not the last we see off you. I say the same about Danny Alexander.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So, my best bets were

Glasgow South West 11/2
    Glasgow North EAst 5/1
    Dumfries & Galloway 7/2
    Glasgow North WEst 7/2
    Rutherglen & Hamilton West 10/3

Everything else was 3/1 or lower.

My £1 on SLab 0-5 seats at 40/1 was hedged out so don't get to claim that.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Tories currently on 325 seats. The Cotswolds is probably going to be number 326.

There would be a certain appropriateness in that.

I just keep going back to the Glasgow results - can't quite believe they actually happened.
  • Options
    Feel sorry for Clegg, he had to destroy his own party to keep the parties principles.
  • Options
    FattyBolgerFattyBolger Posts: 299
    History will be kind to Nick Clegg. He doesn't deserve this.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

I feel guilty.

You didn't make the LibDems still adhere to the riding-two-horses-going-in-opposite-directions strategy they should have ditched when they got into Government. They did that all by themselves.
  • Options
    John_NJohn_N Posts: 389
    In the past 40 years, the Tories have only ever been voted out of office ONCE.

That was in 1997. In that election, the Labour Party presented itself as the heir of Margaret Thatcher, the Tory PM of 1979-90. Labour were also supported by both the Sun and the Financial Times.
  • Options
    scotslassscotslass Posts: 912
    Farage has just thrown away his reputation - an very obvious device to get round his promise..

Clegg's speech is self serving tripe but at least he has resigned. He has taken some element of responsibility. Both however are much better than Murphy.

No-one but no-one continues when they lose not just their own seat but all but one of their colleagues - having claimed that he would lose none! As long as he stays there can be no recovery whatsoever for Labour in Scotland.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Moses_ said:

Well done Nick I hope that this is not the last we see off you. I say the same about Danny Alexander.

Completely agree, that said they (Lib Dems in general) should have spent more time defending their successes rather than attacking the Tories, they have done this country a lot of good.
  • Options

No good deed goes unpunished.

Clegg and Alexander played a difficult hand well - I suspect Vince may have been more effective than his public sounding off suggested, and while Simon Hughes has been forgiven by Peter Tatchell, I can't but help feel a small dose of Karma in his loss.

The clear winners are Sturgeon (and I've no doubt she did better than Salmond would have done) - and Cameron. These two will dominate the next 5 years.

Meanwhile Ed's 'intellectual self confidence' has been comprehensively trumped by his 'lack of self awareness.'
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    AndyJS said:

I don't understand why the junior member of a coalition usually ends up taking most of the blame for its unpopularity.

They handled it incredibly badly. They spent most of the 5 years looking thoroughly miserable about being in government, laying into their coalition partners in intemperate terms, and generally giving the strong impression that coalition is a bad idea, in direct contradiction to what they had been telling us for previous 50 years. As a result they didn't get the credit they deserved both for ensuring stability and for the LibDem policies which they did get implemented. They thought they needed to differentiate themselves by implying (and in many cases actually saying) that the Tories were dreadful heartless people interested only in helping the rich - a message which put centre-right voters off, and invited the response from the left "So why are you keeping this dreadful Tory party in government then?"

The needed above all to sell the concept of coalition as a Good Thing. Only in the last few weeks did they begin to get that message right, but by then it was too late.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    I have a lot of respect for Nick Clegg. A tremendously statesmanlike and good man.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Feck me, it wasn't a dream.

what a night, what a night!!!!!! Made 1992 seem pedestrian.

Ed Balls was just the icing on the cake.

Couple of things, Jack W (and a couple of notable others) you truly are amazing, never in my wildest dreams would I have predicted this result. Kudos to you all.

After enduring the smug, gloating posts of certain Labour supporters over the last week or so I do hope they turn up to eat some humble pie.

BenM proved yet again that whilst I don't share his politics he is a true gentleman.

likewise Smukesh reacted with decency last night too.

I loathed tim (the very worst of new Labour) when he was here but god it would have been funny to witness his meltdown :-)

Oh,was Ed Milliband ready? HELL NO!!!!!

Finally, my wife and I feel so guilty about helping to turf Sir Bob out, but I did say the Lib Dems were rattled here and although we will always owe that man a debt we just could not bear the thought of a Labour / SNP coalition. I hear he is retiring now and I wish him the very best for the future.

Now to quickly walk the dog with a huge smile on my face.

• Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
  • Options
    blackburn63blackburn63 Posts: 4,492

There'll be a referendum after 'renegotiation'. Dave will recommend staying in. We'll stay in by a fairly large majority. If we don't Scotland will demand another Indyref and will probably win it.
    Sorry don't buy that. He'll go to Brussels with vague intentions to renegotiate and come back waving a piece of paper saying its all sorted. Cameron doesn't want a referendum, he'll wriggle out of it again.

• Options

England has and always will be a small-c consverative country. Blair understood that, that why New labour was needed.
    It's a tiny majority, there are still 'awkward squad' tories. No LibDem involvement to restrain them this time.
    Opposition parties to get new leaders and a new start (except UKIP where Farage is copying his idol Putin).
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Looks like HM the Queen has dodged a constitutional bullet with this result!
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,763
    scotslass said:

Farage has just thrown away his reputation - an very obvious device to get round his promise..

Clegg's speech is self serving tripe but at least he has resigned. He has taken some element of responsibility. Both however are much better than Murphy.

No-one but no-one continues when they lose not just their own seat but all but one of their colleagues - having claimed that he would lose none! As long as he stays there can be no recovery whatsoever for Labour in Scotland.

So why's Alex Salmond still there ?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    AndyJS said:

Frankly, it seems like the electorate isn't (politically) mature enough for the basics of coalition politics. I've really no idea how he got stuck with that "betrayal" mantra - the LDs only made up 15%ish of the coalition, inevitably most of their manifesto would disappear in negotiations.
  • Options
    scotslass said:

To be fair to Mr M, what he actiually said IIRC was tha he would "not lose one Labour seat" in Scotland - an unfortunate ambiguity of the kind more usually associated with the Pythoness of the Oracle at Delphi.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Murphy will need to be prised out with a crowbar , he loves supping at the trough.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Just emerging bleary-eyed after a nap after a very long night. Just in time for Clegg's resignation statement followed quickly by Ed's.

I've learned that complex computer models based solely on polls are useless. Rubbish in - rubbish out!

Had six winning bets (Clegg to go in 2015, Watford Con, Richmond Park Con, Kingston Con, Lab seats in Scot, Brighton Pav Green) but two big losers (Lab minority gov and Lab most seats). About £200 down.

Ironically my investment in Berkeley Homes Group has risen by £6000 this morning now the threat of mansion tax has gone. A small consolation.

Take consolation where you can, I say.
  • Options

scotslass said:

So why's Alex Salmond still there ?
    Because he resigned as party leader pdq?

{Might have pressed the flag button in error - too dozy - if so many apologies.]

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Totting things up after a nap and still a bit to settle.

Bet 365 particularly quick to settle, good mobile useability too.

I reckon I am up about £500, but to put it in perspective My ISA is up 4 times that on todays news.

Clegg very dignified resignation speech.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

LucyJones said:

There's not a snowflake's chance in hell of him wriggling out of it, nor will he want to. Politics doesn't come more certain than this.
    Whether he actually would wriggle out of it, I can't say. But I'm pretty certain he would want to, if he thought there was a strong possibility that the country would vote to leave.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

Thank you for your service Nick. Wrong party, but he's a good man who's done a good job for the country.

You can never trust a liar
This discussion has been closed.