Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Many congratulations to those who called it right

Comments

• Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    watford30 said:

Cons at 325. Waveney and Chippenham.

Will Warwick & Leamington be the seat to deliver the majority?

• Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    Bye Bye UK, and Bye Bye England in the EU. I wonder how former and current Liberal Democrat and Labour voters in England, of whom in combination there large numbers, are going to react to finding themselves in such a radically transformed environment over the next five years. Deeply unpredictable, and the Tories may find "Tory England" to be something of a frightening mirage.
  • Options
    kingbongokingbongo Posts: 393

Can't see Carswell connecting with people. Might be Nuttall, or that other guy.

Suzanne Evans.
    Carswell will fail to win the UKIP leadership, flounce out to form the D Carswell Gladstonian ego me me me listen to me party and announce he has revolutionised British Politics
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    GIN1138 said:
    Very much so, yes. This election result basically makes him the go-to guy when looking for an opinion on the quality of the Labour leadership.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeL said:

GIN1138 said:

Fenster said:

It will be particularly encouraging for Cameron that he has won this GE from the centre.

UKIP took 13% of the vote, and a percentage of that vote would've been the LibLabConner's who've peeled away from the Tory right.

I think Cameron should aim to occupy the centre ground a la Blair. But do it with the Tory principles of sound money at its core.

As I said last night, I'd like Cameron to go big on helping the disabled and the many, many carers out there who need help. Be persuasive in making the case that money needs to be diverted to the most needy in society - it'll be the right thing to do and will be immensely popular/would change the face of the Tory party.

Yes, we'll now see Cameron's Tory Party in its true colours. Will it be 'One Nation' as he promised at his count or will that be like Thatcher's promise "Where there is discord, may we bring harmony.", whatever happened to that idea?
    I suspect that he will be forced to swing rightward by his party because of the small majority and I suspect that we'll see Labour and the LibDems, both under new leaders, gaining votes and whittling away at that majority within a year. I expect UKIP to wither.
    So enjoy your triumph Dave, I hope you prove me wrong.
    Get boundary reform through though (this has to the Tories first act) and the Tory majority will be notionally significantly greater...
    They can't. Boundary Commissions will only report in 2018.
    Can't they just instruct an immediate review of the boundaries like they did in 2010?
    Yes. It takes 3 years.

The original reports ordered in 2010 were due in 2013. They were abandoned halfway through in 2012.

They will now start a new review based on 2015 electorates. Reports due 2018.

Cameron's decision is whether to go for a new Act of Parliament to:

1) Keep 650 MPs - to avoid Con dissent

2) Allow PM to lay report directly to the Queen without further votes in 2018 - to eliminate risk of defeat in 2018. That remains a risk - remember under current law it has to go through the Lords as well.
    It's likely that the Tories will have lost a by-election by 2018 - whether they lose enough to lose their majority is unlikely, because I think their current cohort of MPs is pretty young, but it's also a possible risk to a 2018 vote on boundaries.
    There were 4 Con rebels on the last boundary vote - yes, unbelievably, 4 Con MPs voted to scrap the boundary review in 2012.
  • Options
    335 deposits have been lost by the LibDems.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Saltire said:

Saltire said:

Still 4 possible gains for tbe Tories. The 3 libdem seats still to declare plus Luton South. Warwick the only one they could lose

Any chance someone can stick up the ones still to declare?
    Link here
    http://news.sky.com/election/results#lists-undeclared
    If all 14 of those went Lab that would be a hilarious end to the election.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,801

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

And on the panda theme, an interesting tweet:

"Grant Walker
    @Grant_walker94 There are now more nuclear submarines in Scotland than there are pro-trident MP's."

Edit: PS Actually, twice as many IIRC, as Mr Murray is reportedly anti-Trident.

I love hubris, it makes the inevitable fall so much greater.
    I was actually making a (fairly) objective comment of an issue which is now even more salient, but if you want to look at things that way, you could consider why anyone bothers to try to become PM etc.

45 seats for the SNP was my rough expectations for a good night for them!
    I was making a serious point back, from here the Nats can only go down, especially when the novelty factor wears off, Then the cards are back up in the air in Scotland.
    Oh, quite. Like being PM - one can only end up an ex-PM, but it doesn;t stop them trying. But in this case there is Holyrood 2016 and I haven't even begun to think through the implications for that. Yet another and very different psephological dynamic system to follow on from indyref and Ge2015.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited May 2015
    What a rout... Clegg..EdM..Farage..Cool Cammo rides on..
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Tony_M said:

LucyJones said:

Roger said:

dyingswan

"There is a relentless barrage of propaganda on the BBC from Hardy, Brands Jo and Russell etc etc preaching the sanctimonious line that the left is virtuous and the Conservatives are not. In the end that takes its toll. Conservative minded people will keep their views concealed for fear of being branded -pun intended- heartless."

I don't think it's that at all. It's all the old fashioned paraphernalia that goes with it. The patriotism the harping back to empire and wrapping themselves in the flag that's uncool. The clue is in the name.

The problem is that people who like their financial acumen are embarrassed to be associated with their reactionary side. No need for Russell Brand to tell them that.

I still remember the shock with which I was greeted by an acquaintance once, when I said something about voting Tory. "But.... but you seem so nice!" she gasped. She would probably pass out if I told her I voted Ukip this time.

Funnily enough, it is hard lefties who drone on about "tolerance" and "equality" and "evil Tories", etc who always strike me as being the most thuggish and boorish of the lot. But maybe that's just me.

No, I totally agree Lucy
    Is it thuggish to disagree passionately with your political views?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    The Tragedy Of Edward The II Miliband.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    Sorry for the election-night insomnia errors in that post there - there *are* large numbers, *are* going to react, and *the* next five years, that should say.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Millsy said:

Only downside is that I bet on no overall majority so the Tory success has robbed me of a chunk of money (a few other smaller bets come good though)

I got in NOM at 1.87 and exited at 1.27

I came very, very close to going back in again.
  • Options
    Incidentally, given that there are likely to be no non-Tory MPs to the west of Exeter can we assume that funding for a Dawlish Avoiding Line will be rapidly secured...?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    MikeL said:

Really interesting point some guy just made on BBC. He said if the polls had said the Cons have around a 6% lead we would have thought 'yes that feels about right. It's only because the pollsters kept telling us it was neck and neck that we didn't trust ourselves.'

Sometimes there really is a mood out there.

Yes - but the "experts" would still have been badly out on seats.

Remember - we were told Con needed to lead by 11% for a majority.
    And it is this increased seats/votes efficiency that suggests Jim Messina's voter-targeting is what won it, and focussing on Ed vs Dave is lazy and misleading.
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

LucyJones said:

Funnily enough, it is hard lefties who drone on about "tolerance" and "equality" and "evil Tories", etc who always strike me as being the most thuggish and boorish of the lot. But maybe that's just me.

I have the same impression although it is worth noting that all parties - even UKIP - have some very nasty types in them.

Undoubtedly.
  • Options

EPG said:

EPG said:

dyingswan said:

Do you think that people will understand the problem that shy Tories give the pollsters? I believe that it is this. The media and people in the arts and entertainment have made it very uncool for anyone to admit to Conservative views particularly amongst the young. I call it the Jeremy Hardy factor. There is a relentless barrage of propaganda on the BBC from Hardy, Brands Jo and Russell etc etc preaching the sanctimonious line that the left is virtuous and the Conservatives are not. In the end that takes its toll. Conservative minded people will keep their views concealed for fear of being branded -pun intended- heartless. They will mislead pollsters and express themselves only in the privacy of the polling booth. Whilst News Quiz and its leftie comedians push out the party line people will go on staying quiet about their true allegiances and the polls will underrate Tory VI.

There's a leap here, and to be fair it is the same leap that the shy Tory factor has always required. The leap is to explain why one would feel social pressure about public expression when responding to a poll.
    Because the effect is deeper than merely concealing their own views. People who don't obsess about politics genuinely try to convince themselves that they conform with 'correct' views. What changes on GE day is that their opinion suddenly has real consequences so the facade slips away.
    But they don't mind telling the exit pollster?
    I think there is a more general problem reaching normal busy working people who own their own home and who support the Tories by +11 points. Remember the yougov which showed 25% of people watched the debate but general public it was 5%.

Who on this site is part of a polling panel. I know I am and I am interested in politics as evidenced by being here.
    Yeah, that could be it. Perhaps it is harder to sample now that newspapers are disappearing into digital aether. You would expect that past vote weighting at least would approach this.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @joeyjonessky: I find it hard to believe @nick_clegg will haunt the commons corridors for five whole years now like the ghost of coalition past...

bye-election?
  • Options
    watford30 said:

No, they were already in BBC numbers.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited May 2015

Sorry for the election-night insomnia errors in that post there - there *are* large numbers, *are* going to react, and *the* next five years, that should say.

I think we're all running on adrenaline and coffee (and in the case of Lab/Lib-Dem, Valium) right now! :smiley:

• Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"Grant Walker
    @Grant_walker94 There are now more nuclear submarines in Scotland than there are pro-trident MP's."

And there will be zero BAe-Systems shipyards by 2016. Just a guess....
    That reminds me, what happened to all the Type 26 orders that were going to cascade in the moment Scotland voted No?

SDSR-2015: As any fule knows....

Eight 2087 cruisers and a similar number of Venators is an option. Work for all but....
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited May 2015
    Morning all. And what a morning. My most profitable ever betting event - I haven't done the full tally yet, but it's going to be very satisfactory. Even better when the result is so good for the country as well. And we're going to have some interesting new betting markets opening up!

Key betting lessons: don't underestimate uncertainty, and try to cover the risk that you might have read things wrongly. In this particular election that was very easy to do, because the constituency markets and the seat total markets were inconsistent.

Take polls as guides, not as certainties engaved, Ed-like, on tablets of stone. Take notice of the mood music and what the parties are doing: there was a massive clue that the Tories thought they were close a majority when they started throwing the kitchen sink at LibDem-held seats over the last 10 days or so - a strategy which made no sense if they weren't close a majority.

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    MikeL said:

watford30 said:

No, they were already in BBC numbers.
    Yes was just a PA f-up in not pushing through the result data earlier.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    kjohnw said:

MikeK said:
    interesting paragraph:

Survation Telephone, Ballot Paper Prompt:
    CON 37%
    LAB 31%
    LD 10
    UKIP 11
    GRE 5
    Others (including the SNP) 6%

Which would have been very close to the final result.We had flagged that we were conducting this poll to the Daily Mirror as something we might share as an interesting check on our online vs our telephone methodology, but the results seemed so “out of line” with all the polling conducted by ourselves and our peers – what poll commentators would term an “outlier” – that I “chickened out” of publishing the figures – something I’m sure I’ll always regret.

So in short, there will be no internal review of polling methodology for Survation post this General Election result.
    This is very interesting I have not been the only one on here to mention our OGH's old adage best poll for Tories and worst for Labour.

It seems that regression to the mean and the dialogue around that was wrong because polling companies are commercial and if they have something out of line they might not publish.

• Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,756
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"Grant Walker

I was actually making a (fairly) objective comment of an issue which is now even more salient, but if you want to look at things that way, you could consider why anyone bothers to try to become PM etc.

I was making a serious point back, from here the Nats can only go down, especially when the novelty factor wears off, Then the cards are back up in the air in Scotland.
    Oh, quite. Like being PM - one can only end up an ex-PM, but it doesn;t stop them trying. But in this case there is Holyrood 2016 and I haven't even begun to think through the implications for that. Yet another and very different psephological dynamic system to follow on from indyref and Ge2015.

Looking from the outside once 2016 is done then the Nats have more of a problem since the opposition will be in recovery mode.

From my side I'd like to see Cameron put more support behind Ruth Davidson and start to call the Nats to account.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@joeyjonessky: I find it hard to believe @nick_clegg will haunt the commons corridors for five whole years now like the ghost of coalition past...

bye-election?

Defection? Would decimate his party. Almost literally.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    EPG said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

dyingswan said:

Do you think that people will understand the problem that shy Tories give the pollsters? I believe that it is this. The media and people in the arts and entertainment have made it very uncool for anyone to admit to Conservative views particularly amongst the young. I call it the Jeremy Hardy factor. There is a relentless barrage of propaganda on the BBC from Hardy, Brands Jo and Russell etc etc preaching the sanctimonious line that the left is virtuous and the Conservatives are not. In the end that takes its toll. Conservative minded people will keep their views concealed for fear of being branded -pun intended- heartless. They will mislead pollsters and express themselves only in the privacy of the polling booth. Whilst News Quiz and its leftie comedians push out the party line people will go on staying quiet about their true allegiances and the polls will underrate Tory VI.

There's a leap here, and to be fair it is the same leap that the shy Tory factor has always required. The leap is to explain why one would feel social pressure about public expression when responding to a poll.
    Because the effect is deeper than merely concealing their own views. People who don't obsess about politics genuinely try to convince themselves that they conform with 'correct' views. What changes on GE day is that their opinion suddenly has real consequences so the facade slips away.
    I think there is a more general problem reaching normal busy working people who own their own home and who support the Tories by +11 points. Remember the yougov which showed 25% of people watched the debate but general public it was 5%.

Who on this site is part of a polling panel. I know I am and I am interested in politics as evidenced by being here.
    Yeah, that could be it. Perhaps it is harder to sample now that newspapers are disappearing into digital aether. You would expect that past vote weighting at least would approach this.
    And who the heck answers a landline cold caller even if they have a landline?

It needs a massive rethink. I honestly think they would be better off with clipboards in the streets.
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    Moses_ said:

Ed Milliband tweets

"Responsibility for the results is mine and mine alone"

Tweets?

That sums him up.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    isam said:

currystar said:

isam said:

currystar said:

Isam is not very good at tips and Mike may have overstated ukip seat numbers a touch

A bad day at the GE but I still prob won more this week betting than you have in your life
    I'm too modest to comment
    Obviously not as I was replying to your provocation
    Did you not say that farage would definitely win? I'm just stating facts. How many posts have you made telling us of all the fantastic odds that you have on ukip winning loads of different seats and how we are stupid for not backing them? I lose at gambling most of the time as we all do that's why I very rarely recommend anyone backing anything i do . I still haven't got over western warhorse.The 13.0 that I mentioned on here and backed in the middle of last night is a happy exception.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

It was always obvious the Tories were going to lose, Cameron's heart just wasn't in it.

Oh, wait.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    So who is going to be DPM?

Boris?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Scott_P said:

bye-election?

Which would be a Labour gain. Surely he won't proactively make a tiny Lib Dem presence in the HoC even smaller?
  • Options
    kingbongo said:

Can't see Carswell connecting with people. Might be Nuttall, or that other guy.

Suzanne Evans.
    Carswell will fail to win the UKIP leadership, flounce out to form the D Carswell Gladstonian ego me me me listen to me party and announce he has revolutionised British Politics
    I don't think Carswell is interested in being leader.
  • Options
    William_HWilliam_H Posts: 346
    Jonathan said:

So who is going to be DPM?

Boris?

I'd have thought they'd just do without.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    EPG said:

It depends entirely on how you disagree. Disagreement can be respectful as in Voltaire's "I disagree with what you say but I will defend your right to say it" or turning up at your opponent's rallies and shouting "Scum!".
  • Options
    "And on the pedestal, these words appear:
    'My name is Ed Miliband, Labour Leader:
    Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
    Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
    Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
    The lone and level sands stretch far away."

(With apologies to Shelley.)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    welshowl said:

murali_s said:

saddened said:

Very nice to see, with one obvious exception, that all the Labour supporters have stuck around and accepted the result with good grace. It's a reflection on their integrity.

Thanks for being so magnanimous. This is 1992 redux for me (but probably not as bad - there were signs things weren't going to plan early this week - obvious signals were being obscured by the love-in with the opinion polls)

And to be honest, the short term future is so poor for Labour. There is a dearth of talent within the Patliamentary Labour Party - Ed Milliband is arguably one of the more talented ones - that's the brutal truth and that's why I am pessimistic in the short term.

Tories - enjoy your win. It's a very long way back for Labour.
    Good for you for sticking up for your beliefs. I think it was a late late ( like walking to the polling booth) swing making it tough to pick up. I too only decided finally 200yds from the polling booth!
    I have to say it has long been my belief that you were not alone in the nature and timing of your decision.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

Mark Littlewood ‏@MarkJLittlewood 4 mins4 minutes ago

Lamb/Farron need support of 10% of LD MPs to run for leader. As they each constitute 12.5% of LD MPs, they'll both clear this hurdle #GE2015

Comedy gold.
  • Options
    331 is now the BBC projection.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    There were absolutely bonkers prices available on Betfair on a Tory majority as late as 4-5am. I hope people managed to cash in. Can't believe that the BBC were sticking with their exit poll prediction for so long when it must have been obvious that a Tory majority was nailed on from Warwickshire North, Nuneaton and Vale of Clwyd onwards.Alas I wasn't up for Balls and just hope I managed to keep my eyes open at work this afternoon.
  • Options
    There have been some magic moments over the last 24 hours, but this is pretty special

@D_Blanchflower: Congrats to those who called it right I need to eat some humble pie with @JohnRentoul and @dojhodges & best to Tories on a stunning victory

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Ealing Central declaration:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiYHPytLROg
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"Grant Walker

I wasn't paying a lot of attention, but it did not look as if there were many marginal left in Scotland - apart from the one each held by Labour, the LDs and the Tories. It is very possible that if Scotland is still involved in 2020 the SNP could do the sweep.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

There were absolutely bonkers prices available on Betfair on a Tory majority as late as 4-5am. I hope people managed to cash in. Can't believe that the BBC were sticking with their exit poll prediction for so long when it must have been obvious that a Tory majority was nailed on from Warwickshire North, Nuneaton and Vale of Clwyd onwards.Alas I wasn't up for Balls and just hope I managed to keep my eyes open at work this afternoon.

Yep I kept trying to tell people. It was still 7.5 when it was looking really odds-on.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Sad to see Tories pipped by a handful of votes in Berwickshire, more LDs should have switched to keep the SNP out.

LOL< more Tories should have voted Tory and not LD...........Ha Ha Ha
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Any chance of a left/centrist split in Labour with 2 parties emerging?
  • Options
    At last BBC catch up.

Forecast Con 331, Lab 232.

Official Maj 12

16 exc SF

That relies on gaining the last 3 LD seats.

St Ives not certain?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    So exactly how crap is Ed Miliband? Are we talking Foot, Kinnock, Brown, or something else?
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800
    MikeL said:

At last BBC catch up.

Official Maj 12

16 exc SF

St Ives not certain?

Hope they don't get them
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    MikeL said:

At last BBC catch up.

Official Maj 12

16 exc SF

St Ives not certain?

Hard to see it standing against the tide now
  • Options

EPG said:

EPG said:

EPG said:

dyingswan said:

And who the heck answers a landline cold caller even if they have a landline?

It needs a massive rethink. I honestly think they would be better off with clipboards in the streets.
    Our least frequent pollster in Ireland does face-to-face interviews. They're also the most accurate.
  • Options
    glw said:

So exactly how crap is Ed Miliband? Are we talking Foot, Kinnock, Brown, or something else?

We need a whole new classification
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Sad to see Tories pipped by a handful of votes in Berwickshire, more LDs should have switched to keep the SNP out.

malc

what can I say it was the SNP wot won it for Cameron

I didn't have you boys doen in the Bullingdon club, I was wrong :-)

Vote Nicola get Dave.
  • Options

Only if you do so in a thuggish manner.
  • Options
    Interesting

@journodave: The SNP won 1,454,436 votes in the general election compared to the Yes campaign winning 1,617,989 during the #indyref
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"Grant Walker

Looking from the outside once 2016 is done then the Nats have more of a problem since the opposition will be in recovery mode.

From my side I'd like to see Cameron put more support behind Ruth Davidson and start to call the Nats to account.
    Alan, hardly worth backing a one trick pony
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Scott_P said:

bye-election?

didn't stop Brown...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079

No doubt the Sun will try to claim it was them wot saved our bacon...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Miss Jones, there was a video of Kenny Everett[sp] making his 'let's bomb Russia' appearance posted here recently. Some chap I didn't recognise [a modern talking head] said he was 'so offended' that Everett 'came out' as a Tory, because he assumed Everett would be 'on your side'.
  • Options
    currystarcurrystar Posts: 1,171
    GIN1138 said:

JonathanD said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeK said:
    Unbelievably, ComRes is probably the only pollster to come out of this election with any credibility.
    ICM Wisdom Index was Con 35%, Lab 32% so they will probably try to claim some credit.

ICM's reputation is going to take a big knock from the head of the company disparaging his own poll (the 39/33 poll at the start of the campaign) to try and give The Guardian some comfort and yesterday "Lab ahead poll".

Martin Boon may be another casualty of this election...
    It was sad to watch him diss his own poll
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Vote Nicola get Dave.
    Even if Labour had won every seat in Scotland the result would be the same.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Among the top issues for the Tories are trying to get members and footsoldiers back, creating a mass membership party again, and also working out how to appeal to urban and poorer voters. Here in Birmingham it is almost totally a no-go area for the Tories, with the party only winning one (middle class) seat
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Jim Murphy looks as if he's clinging on?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited May 2015
    currystar said:

isam said:

currystar said:

isam said:

currystar said:

Isam is not very good at tips and Mike may have overstated ukip seat numbers a touch

A bad day at the GE but I still prob won more this week betting than you have in your life
    Did you not say that farage would definitely win? I'm just stating facts. How many posts have you made telling us of all the fantastic odds that you have on ukip winning loads of different seats and how we are stupid for not backing them? I lose at gambling most of the time as we all do that's why I very rarely recommend anyone backing anything i do . I still haven't got over western warhorse.The 13.0 that I mentioned on here and backed in the middle of last night is a happy exception.
    I never said anyone was stupid for not backing them

If you are a serious gambler who turns over a lot of money every day, then beating the odds is more important than short term profit,. I beat the odds in this GE and did have some fantastic odds that tumbled, but ended up losing money . Id do the same again tmrw

As I said I have had a v good week gambling this week. Yesterday was a level day because of election losses

I did say Farage would definitely win, I thought he would. Thurrock too fair enough. Backing a 16/1 shot that goes off 8/11 and loses in a photo isn't worthy of being called a bad tip
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Scott_P said:

There have been some magic moments over the last 24 hours, but this is pretty special

@D_Blanchflower: Congrats to those who called it right I need to eat some humble pie with @JohnRentoul and @dojhodges & best to Tories on a stunning victory

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

So he offers a dignified response and you offer?

Oh yes just your usual spite.
  • Options
    The SNP deserve their plaudits, but they deserve an extra-special congratulations for unseating Anas Sarwar. The handing of that seat from father, to son, to second-son like a personal possession was and is a disgrace. No other party, including labour, were capable of doing anything about it.

So well done the SNP from this southern tory.

And Glasgow NE is the result of the night. All but 40% swing in arguably the UK's safest seat.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited May 2015

Scott_P said:

bye-election?

Defection? Would decimate his party. Almost literally.
    The LD rump does look hideously WASP right now. They need a new generation of ideologues/campaigners - A 2016 byelection with someone like Majiid Nawaaz as candidate would be great - and Hallam is the sort of unusual constituency where he could win over both the right & the left.
  • Options

331 is now the BBC projection.

Depends on the Tories winning Berwick, Wells and St Ives.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"Grant Walker

I wasn't paying a lot of attention, but it did not look as if there were many marginal left in Scotland - apart from the one each held by Labour, the LDs and the Tories. It is very possible that if Scotland is still involved in 2020 the SNP could do the sweep.
    Nah.

The Nats honeymoon will be over. The economy will fk them as oil will be running out and maybe just maybe the Tories will start to ask question about why aren;t they winning NOTB. ( though that's probably bollox )
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited May 2015
    currystar said:

GIN1138 said:

JonathanD said:

GIN1138 said:

MikeK said:
    Unbelievably, ComRes is probably the only pollster to come out of this election with any credibility.
    ICM Wisdom Index was Con 35%, Lab 32% so they will probably try to claim some credit.

ICM's reputation is going to take a big knock from the head of the company disparaging his own poll (the 39/33 poll at the start of the campaign) to try and give The Guardian some comfort and yesterday "Lab ahead poll".

Martin Boon may be another casualty of this election...
    It was sad to watch him diss his own poll
    Bring back Nick Sparrow! :smiley:

• Options
    UKIP second in 118 seats. Its new leader inherits a good position.
  • Options
    FluffyThoughtsFluffyThoughts Posts: 2,420
    Interesting that JokeW's last forecast was widely out (302 Tories to 323-and-counting; Broxtowe; &c.). That said: The sentiment was correct (but Auntie Hortence may have over-medicated the 115 year-old fool).....

:awaiting-payouts-for-the-greater-good:
  • Options
    glw said:

Somehing else!

• Options

Scott_P said:

So he offers a dignified response and you offer?

Oh yes just your usual spite.
    This is what C Maj looks like
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malc

Vote Nicola get Dave.
    Alan, Best result for SNP in my mind. makes 2016 a lot easier I reckon.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Can't see Bojo having a cabinet post until he is no longer mayor in 2016.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

UKIP second in 118 seats. Its new leader inherits a good position.

If Nigel departs as leader, it'l probably be Paul Nuttal.
  • Options
    watford30watford30 Posts: 3,474
    Al Campbell on Radio 5. Why bother giving him the airtime? He's been proved utterly wrong. Another busted flush.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Jonathan said:

Wondering what note the outgoing chief secretary to the treasury will leave this time for his successor and whether it will be made public.

Dear Chief Secretary.

There are no Lib Dems left.
    There have been some fantastic comments of the night, but this takes the award for the best of all. Genius, sir.
  • Options
    LucyJones said:

Only if you do so in a thuggish manner.

Can't disagree with that!
  • Options
    The following 5 seats have been counting for more than 13 hours:

Luton North
    Luton South
    Devon Central
    The Cotswolds
    Wells
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    I received an email from the Conservatives this morning urging me to vote Tory yesterday.

They won despite - rather than because of - their computer system, I think...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,481
    New thread
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options
    Already the usual suspects dragging trying to drag labour to the left

Brilliant... please do.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"Grant Walker

Jo Swinson lost by only 3-4% plus BRS are 2 that spring to mind. But can't think of any Labour -SNP marginals that SNP are going to be defending next time.
    Mind you there was not many marginals on paper going into this election...
  • Options
    watford30 said:

Al Campbell on Radio 5. Why bother giving him the airtime? He's been proved utterly wrong. Another busted flush.

He and Mandelson looked quietly delighted at the exquisite torture of the exit poll.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,036
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"Grant Walker

That reminds me, what happened to all the Type 26 orders that were going to cascade in the moment Scotland voted No?

Ahem:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/11425477/BAE-gets-859m-boost-for-Navys-new-Type-26-frigates.html

From February.

Next. ;-)
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"Grant Walker

SDSR-2015: As any fule knows....

Eight 2087 cruisers and a similar number of Venators is an option. Work for all but....
    It's as any fule kno, as indeed any fule kno ... but thanks. That would certainly be an excuse for slicing it into the rough. It didn't come up in the election campaign that I recall, which surprised me slightly when I thought about it this morning. There was some complaint about the poor defences of Scotland, but that highlighted Nimrod (or the lack thereof).

• Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

malc

Vote Nicola get Dave.
    Alan, Best result for SNP in my mind. makes 2016 a lot easier I reckon.
    Yesh but now yoiu have to do something, I think well get SNP replace SLAB and then from that Unionists and righties will start to form the opposition
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    UKIP are currently ~25,000 votes ahead of the combined SNP and Lib Dem total, but behind on seats by 64 to 1.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"Grant Walker

Ahem:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/11425477/BAE-gets-859m-boost-for-Navys-new-Type-26-frigates.html

From February.

Next. ;-)
    I did see that - but it's not an order ... hence my wording ... but thanks for checking.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Farage is standing down.

Suzanne Evans interim leader.

Taking his first fortnight's holiday since 1993.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Farage complaining about how useless his strategic approach has been. System's fault, apparently.

Not unlike a football team getting 3 penalties and failing to score.

PR is a horrendous import, exactly what Farage should be against.

Farage is resigning.
  • Options
    Farage may stand in leadership election!
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    There is still one little gift this election can give us.......

The voting out of bercow and his odious wife will be sight to see. Can they achieve it though?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Moses_ said:

There is still one little gift this election can give us.......

The voting out of bercow and his odious wife will be sight to see. Can they achieve it though?

How many Tory mates does Bercow have left ?

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,036
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

"Grant Walker

Ahem:

From February.

Next. ;-)
    I did see that - but it's not an order ... hence my wording ... but thanks for checking.

What the heck do you Scot Nats expect? Cameron to go down there, slit his wrists and write an order in blood? £850 million for long-lead items is rather a massive statement of intent.

You should just chillax for a while and bask in the glory of your victory, rather than grousing about the UK as usual.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Totting things up after a nap and still a bit to settle.

Bet 365 particularly quick to settle, good mobile useability too.

I reckon I am up about £500, but to put it in perspective My ISA is up 4 times that on todays news.

Clegg very dignified resignation speech.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    isam said:

currystar said:

isam said:

currystar said:

isam said:

currystar said:

I never said anyone was stupid for not backing them

If you are a serious gambler who turns over a lot of money every day, then beating the odds is more important than short term profit,. I beat the odds in this GE and did have some fantastic odds that tumbled, but ended up losing money . Id do the same again tmrw

As I said I have had a v good week gambling this week. Yesterday was a level day because of election losses

I did say Farage would definitely win, I thought he would. Thurrock too fair enough. Backing a 16/1 shot that goes off 8/11 and loses in a photo isn't worthy of being called a bad tip
    Sam as it stands I owe you £26 with UKIP at 12.6%. Will wait until count is over for final number; mail me to let me know how you want me to settle.

This discussion has been closed.