Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Undefined discussion subject.

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,169
    rcs1000 said:

Absurd that PC could have twice the number of seats as UKIP on 20x the vote

Well, not really. PC are standing in far fewer seats.
  • Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    Dair said:

WOW

Farage has lost. HIs ITV interview reaction and body language and language. He's GONE.

Another marvellous rumour if true. If Reckless goes its just fantastic.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Mood music for #Labour Sehr feierlich und sehr langsam - Bruckner's Symphony No. 7 in E major (WAB 107).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,492

ames Chapman (Mail) ‏@jameschappers 1 min1 minute ago

Tory sources in Kingston & Surbiton believe Ed Davey is in 'real trouble' #GE2015

Surbiton will be please :-)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,700
    FU It was Brand wot lost it?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @ByrneToff: hearing rumours ed miliband says when he sees exit polls collapsing around him he 'feels respect'
  • Options

Dair said:

WOW

Farage has lost. HIs ITV interview reaction and body language and language. He's GONE.

Another marvellous rumour if true. If Reckless goes its just fantastic.
    I really wish I had bought some champagne... :D
  • Options
    FalseFlagFalseFlag Posts: 1,801

Carswell: UKIP and Greens could get 5 million votes yet have 2-3 seats put together. Time for voting reform.

No, it is up to them to convert those votes into seats. They will have their chances if they sustain their momentum.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    edited May 2015
    Any news on Vince? :smiley:
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FU It was Brand wot lost it?

that and the edstone for Labour's political grave.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2015
    The only explanation re. the exit poll and the ordinary polls is large numbers of people entering the polling station intending not to vote Tory and then actually voting for them.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,019

Tim Montgomerie ن ‏@montie 2 mins2 minutes ago

On LBC, @LordAshcroft says his poll of 12,000 voters - Con 34%, Lab 31% - is inconsistent with the exit poll

I believe Rod prediction was based upon Tories winning by 4% on national vote share. So it doesn't need to be that far out e.g could be 35/30. Exit poll is also saying Labour piling up votes in areas they don't need it and getting no swing in ones they do.
  • Options
    FlightpathlFlightpathl Posts: 1,243
    Nigel Farage on ITV has just effectively said that UKIP are now an alternative party to Labour. A party for white working class bigots.
    I'm surprised he still has the nerve to wear his velvet collared camel hair coat.

He then walked on and took no questions - which I take it to mean he has lost. IF he has lost and resigns then UKIP will change character completely.

• Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108
    dr_spyn said:

@Dair - thanks for helping me re cars with megaphones - wish i had kept the models.

I do miss them. Good to hear Anne McLaughlin still has her megaphone attachment (IIRC she bought it herself).
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    AndyJS said:

The only explanation re. the exit poll and the ordinary polls is large numbers of people entering the polling station intending to not to vote Tory and then actually voting for them.

Not at all - differential response could be the key. Some people just don't like other people intruding into their business.
  • Options
    @EllieJPrice: #GE2015 Tory agent at Rochester count tells BBC "I'm smiling" hinting their candidate Kelly Tolhurst will beat UKIP's Mark Reckless.

Too late to put bubbly in the fridge?
  • Options
    All three Fife seats going SNP from the BBC Scotland reporting.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Is that a non exit poll exit poll like YouGov?

Yes it's not an exit poll. I think it's time the Pollsters just hang their heads in shame and shut the bleep up.
  • Options

Dair said:

WOW

Fantastic if true
    Carswell a shoo-in for leader.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,086
    ITN says Labour has won six seats. Any idea where the three the BBC aren't reporting are?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,746
    If ComRes has turned out to be the most 'accurate' pollster we can no longer use the ComedyResults moniker!
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    AndyJS said:

antifrank said:

I tipped the Conservatives in Nottingham South at 9/1 last year. I see the BBC are predicting that will happen.

It would be astonishing if the Tories took Nottingham South. Just incredible.
    If the 1% swing is correct, and it's a BIG if, the Tories should have a 20% chance....
  • Options
    pinkrosepinkrose Posts: 189
    Are 10 Lib Dems really going to vote for £12bn in welfare cuts?

• Options

AndyJS said:

The only explanation re. the exit poll and the ordinary polls is large numbers of people entering the polling station intending to not to vote Tory and then actually voting for them.

Not at all - differential response could be the key. Some people just don't like other people intruding into their business.
    And with the hatred/vitriol directed at Tories from those on the left, it's hardly a surprise.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Dair said:

BBC Scotland - Gordon is comfortable for Alex Salnond.

Lower score than Dave please is all.I ask
    Maybe. But it's Eck. Old folk love him.
  • Options
    Yvette stoney faced
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

Carswell on Sky talking about turning UKIP into an alternative to Labour in seats the Conservatives stand no chance [north of England, basically].

I've been saying this for ages, particularly that the soft Blue Kippers would return home this GE but that the WWC Kippers will never go back to Labour.

And I am right.
  • Options
    heseltineheseltine Posts: 50
    rcs1000 said:

Tory sources in Kingston & Surbiton believe Ed Davey is in 'real trouble' #GE2015

Surbiton will be please :-)
    I wonder what odds you could have got on the LDs losing all of their London seats..Prob won't happen but it's close.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Yvette Cooper looking ashen despite her words ....
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    I expect there will be a little pink bus joining it shortly..! :lol:
  • Options
    GravitationGravitation Posts: 281
    Has Ed's Downfall parody video been done yet?
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    Dair said:

All three Fife seats going SNP from the BBC Scotland reporting.

Steady.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,913
    8th May = VE Day: Victory over Ed day?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,375
    Yvette looks haunted.
  • Options
    NemtynakhtNemtynakht Posts: 2,311
    Who will be next?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Nigel Farage on ITV has just effectively said that UKIP are now an alternative party to Labour. A party for white working class bigots.
    I'm surprised he still has the nerve to wear his velvet collared camel hair coat.

He then walked on and took no questions - which I take it to mean he has lost. IF he has lost and resigns then UKIP will change character completely.

The problem for Labour is the perception they see all WWC people as bigots.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@EllieJPrice: #GE2015 Tory agent at Rochester count tells BBC "I'm smiling" hinting their candidate Kelly Tolhurst will beat UKIP's Mark Reckless.

Too late to put bubbly in the fridge?

Bloody marvellous. I want to record the result and replay it several times.
  • Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525
    Dair said:

BBC Scotland say East Lanarkshire is "Catastrophic" for Scottish Labour.

Strathclyde is going to see some crazy swings to the SNP. They will look safe nationalist seats after tonight. Also beginning to wonder just how big Hosie's majority will be in Dundee east...
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    AndyJS said:

The only explanation re. the exit poll and the ordinary polls is large numbers of people entering the polling station intending not to vote Tory and then actually voting for them.

No, the explanation is the obvious one: quite a few of those saying they'd vote Labour didn't, and those who were fired up about keeping Ed out did.

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713

Yvette looks haunted.

She might have Ed as a house husband at this rate.
  • Options

ITN says Labour has won six seats. Any idea where the three the BBC aren't reporting are?

Probably places like Newcastle East where they're guessing the result. Ridiculous of them not to wait for the declaration.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Looks like labour ground game was as big as clueless
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939
    Christ almighty, it's looking like my dream outcome may eventuate - both UKIP and Labour utterly routed.

People's army my arse.

Farage has received the Roderick Spode treatment at the hands of Bertie Wooster:

The trouble with you, Spode, is that just because you have succeeded in inducing a handful of half-wits to disfigure the London scene by going about in black shorts, you think you're someone. You hear them shouting "Heil, Spode!" and you imagine it is the Voice of the People. That is where you make your bloomer. What the Voice of the People is saying is: "Look at that frightful ass Spode swanking about in footer bags! Did you ever in your puff see such a perfect perisher?"
  • Options
    heseltineheseltine Posts: 50

On LBC, @LordAshcroft says his poll of 12,000 voters - Con 34%, Lab 31% - is inconsistent with the exit poll

I believe Rod prediction was based upon Tories winning by 4% on national vote share. So it doesn't need to be that far out e.g could be 35/30. Exit poll is also saying Labour piling up votes in areas they don't need it and getting no swing in ones they do.
    But it's the collapse of the LDs that is creating this issue...Tories vote can stay static in LD/ Con marginals and they will still win.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Cheerio, Mr Davey. Need any help carrying away all your nice turbines? Don't let the door hit you on the ARSE on the way out.

• Options

AndyJS said:

The real reason is that phone and online sampling methodology is outdated garbage. So the only accurate poll is the one that actually gets the people as they come out = the exit poll.
  • Options

Looks like labour ground game was as big as clueless

Don't tell IOS.
  • Options
    Bond Disagree, all 3 relatively moderate, telegenic, one a northerner, 1 a woman, 1 a black man, any of them would be miles better than Miliband, and with an EU referendum now likely a more rightwing leader is likely to succeed Cameron
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,591

Nats will like this.
    Effie Deans
    @Effiedeans
    To be clear my involvement with #SNPout has always been peripheral. I just help with tweets. The team deserves the credit #GE2015ill like this

Wee, ratty Effie trying to avoid blame for foundering of HMS SNPout.
  • Options
    ConcanvasserConcanvasser Posts: 165
    As a humble foot soldier in all this my overwhelming impressions are:
    The British public are terribly polite. Even if thay hate all you and all you stand for the most they ever say is No thanks
    The number of cats in this country is extraordinary and they know there territory better than any canvasser
    Gardens sre looking wonderful this year. Gravel does not work well as a substitute for grass or flower borders
    England is not nearly as altered as many would have you believe.
  • Options
    EDW20000EDW20000 Posts: 138
    Dave Milli would have won this easy on NuLab agenda
  • Options
    heseltine said:

But it's the collapse of the LDs that is creating this issue...Tories vote can stay static in LD/ Con marginals and they will still win.
    I did try and tell Mr Smithson this point.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,086

In the WWC north east Labour seems to have clung on.

• Options
    isam vs rcs1000 bets

LibDems under 10% - isam winner
    LibDems under 8% - rcs1000 winner
    Reckless wins Rochester - rcs1000 winner
    Cons +6.5% in Thanet South - rcs1000 winner
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,376

Yvette looks haunted.

She might have Ed as a house husband at this rate.
    The horror.....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,108
    2nd UKip seat Rother Valley ?¿
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Prodicus said:

GIN1138 said:

Cheerio, Mr Davey. Need any help carrying away all your nice turbines? Don't let the door hit you on the ARSE on the way out.

Davey and Cable are well gone

Only Hughes left for LD in London
  • Options

heseltine said:

You mean, Mr Smithson Snr
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Speedy said:

If the Exit Poll is correct LordA has to resign from the polling industry, all of his constituency polls would have been massively wrong apart from Scotland.
    He's not the only one either. Look like we are having a load of Angus Reid's in this election...
  • Options
    Kinnock live on BBC Parliament channel
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Speedy said:

If the Exit Poll is correct LordA has to resign from the polling industry, all of his constituency polls would have been massively wrong apart from Scotland.
    Wonder how impressed Mike will be with his lordship, a bit less than he appears to have been over the last few months I suspect.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

In the WWC north east Labour seems to have clung on.

Well yes, but it's something of a dead cat bounce - their NorthEast vote fell by 20% between 1997 and 2010, far bigger than falls in the South.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Nick Robinson ‏@bbcnickrobinson 59 secs60 seconds ago

Nick Robinson retweeted Matthew Price

Now Tories predicting win against UKIP defector Mark Reckless

Please please please
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,083
    Great spin from Mrs Balls on BBC - even if the exit poll is right, it shows that Cameron has lost his majority and cant form a government.....
  • Options
    It may boil down to voters not trusting Ed to look after their finances.
  • Options
    pinkrose said:

Are 10 Lib Dems really going to vote for £12bn in welfare cuts?

The LibDems will not be in coalition if they have 10 seats.
  • Options
    EDW20000 said:

Dave Milli would have won this easy on NuLab agenda

Yeah, but they would have still lost Scotland....
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Pulpstar said:

2nd UKip seat Rother Valley ?¿

Dudley North
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Whilst people are rightly pointing out the difficulty in running minority governments, need to bear in mind that it probably makes a difference when Conservatives are so far ahead of the opposition. Much easier to play off other parties against each other and far more scope to do deals on tricky issues. A situation where there is no majority opposition to one side of them also makes it much less likely that the opposition will unite against them.

And it clearly is not in the SNP interest to force another election.

• Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    edited May 2015

Carswell on Sky talking about turning UKIP into an alternative to Labour in seats the Conservatives stand no chance [north of England, basically].

I've been saying this for ages, particularly that the soft Blue Kippers would return home this GE but that the WWC Kippers will never go back to Labour.

And I am right.
    This is why Labour could be toast. There is now an alternative for the WC vote they have long taken for granted.

The irony of a party once called "the Tory party your grandfather voted for" hoovering up Labour voters now.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

heseltine said:

You mean, Mr Smithson Snr
    HAHA :-) That's true good point. I've seen that your Mr Smithson Jnr.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,591
    Tom Harris looking a bit broken.

"The electorate just wasn't listening."
  • Options
    Middlesbrough South expected c.0300 hours. If Tories get it, on universal swing (yeah, yeah) they have a majority.
  • Options
    STV - SNP activists saying 2 to 1 ahead. Tom Harris asked how he is feeling "well, I'm not expecting a recount", he's lost.

He says

"no-one was listening to us"
    "we won on all the polciies"
    "this wasnt about policies"
    "no idea if Labour will win any seats in Scotland"

WOW. This is utterly amazing. From the reactions this is beyond anything I thought would happen. The SNP have destroyed Labour. And the Lib Dems. The Second Indyref will be on the ballot in 2016 and you know what, we will win both 2016 and the Second Referendum.

Kezia was chipper on BBC Scotland earleir, now looking utterly distrought on STV. Earlier saying "wait for then result" now saying "this will be bad". Blaming SNP for a Tory Government with a majority more than all the seats in Scotland.
  • Options
    Bond_James_BondBond_James_Bond Posts: 1,939

A perception that is 100% accurate.

Farage also clearly despises the type of supporter he actually has.
  • Options
    I'm sure Mark Reckless can celebrate the loss of Rochester and Strood with an orange juice....
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    rcs1000 said:

isam vs rcs1000 bets

I am starting to lose a little faith in the 6.5 hcap bets!
  • Options
    The polls kept saying UKIP didn't have much of a chance in Great Grimsby...
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,050
    Even if the exit poll is wrong, this is still potentially a horrendous result for Labour. Too much spinning from Labour bigwigs.

Take it from me as a proxy for a Labour spokesman that this is a very poor night for Labour.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Turnout up 0.6%, so far.
  • Options
    @PickardJE: Feels a bit like senior Labour figures are actors reading the script to a different play.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    Can we some more declarations?
  • Options
    JazJaz Posts: 21
    bbc forecast tory hold in broxtowe.!!!
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    I think we may soon have an answer to the question as to whether Lord Ashcroft's Q1 or Q2 was a better guide, and I have a hunch it's going to be Q1.
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    Wise words from Neil Kinnock both exit polls can't be right.
    How he never became PM evades me.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 77,019
    Just a thought....if it does come out as predicted, Tories need Lib Dems.

Clegg can't stay as leader after this surely? If it isn't Nick who gets on well with Cameron, could it be seriously rocky if it is somebody like Fallon instead?
  • Options
    Jaz said:

bbc forecast tory hold in broxtowe.!!!

GET IN :D (sorry Nick)
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Broxtowe stays Con according to BBC exit poll
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,229
    Kinnock on the BBC: I think the two exit polls are so far apart that they can't possibly both be right.

No Shit, Sherlock !
  • Options
    EDW20000EDW20000 Posts: 138
    ukip seats max = 1
  • Options
    I love the Labour desperation of trying to suggest that if the exit poll is correct they will still be able to scramble together a Government of all the Damned to keep Dave out.
  • Options

Just a thought....if it does come out as predicted, Tories need Lib Dems.

Clegg can't stay as leader after this surely? If it isn't Nick who gets on well with Cameron, could it be seriously rocky if it is somebody like Fallon instead?

They may not need anyone and if they do they might prefer the DUP
  • Options
    NP still XMP forecast by Vine
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It may boil down to voters not trusting Ed to look after their finances.

Rerun of lines from David Hare's In The Absence of War - heard that line on stage in Bath tonight.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,085
    Important to see how the SNP do. Mood music sounds good for them and bad for Labour, but there's no substitute for concrete results.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

isam vs rcs1000 bets

I am starting to lose a little faith in the 6.5 hcap bets!
    Didn't I tell you there was a big difference between the way people vote in a silly Euro poll and the way they vote in a general election? ;)

This discussion has been closed.