Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Your sortable & searchable PB guide to Labour’s top 80 CON

SystemSystem Posts: 11,707
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Your sortable & searchable PB guide to Labour’s top 80 CON targets in England and Wales

The big question tonight is whether LAB can make enough gains from the Tories to offset the likely losses in Scotland where, on some polls, the red team could could every seat. The good news for them is that it is not CON which is benefiting but the SNP.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    1st?
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Is there a plan for using a live chat channel tonight as we did in 2010?
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    what are the best hopes for SLAB to hold a seat? Edinburgh South and East Lothian?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    I'd put it at around 30 gains needed for Labour to deny the Conservatives any chance of forming a government.
  • Options
    It will be an interesting night. I rather expect the polling to be out by quite a margin simply because John Curtice said that he had little confidence that the figures would be accurate.

That will, of course, throw everyone's predictions out the window, especially when combined with the shy tory effect.

This is way more complicated than buying shoes. Having said that, if Labour wins, I may change the shoes in my avatar for boots as they seem more appropriate for an authoritarian party like Labour.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,058
    I'm saying 50-60 gains.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

what are the best hopes for SLAB to hold a seat? Edinburgh South and East Lothian?

Right now who knows, only a few reasonable guesses will be a Glasgow seat or Jim Murphy's seat or an Edinburgh seat.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

What Scotland means is that Labour will need 20 Con gains just to stand still.

So to start going up (above where they are now), they will need the next (slightly harder) marginals to fall as well.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291

It will be an interesting night. I rather expect the polling to be out by quite a margin simply because John Curtice said that he had little confidence that the figures would be accurate.

That will, of course, throw everyone's predictions out the window, especially when combined with the shy tory effect.

This is way more complicated than buying shoes. Having said that, if Labour wins, I may change the shoes in my avatar for boots as they seem more appropriate for an authoritarian party like Labour.

Jackboots?

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Is there a plan for using a live chat channel tonight as we did in 2010?

We pay a lot for Vanilla which I hope won't let us down. This takes the strain off the main PB server and allows a lot of flexibility

• Options
    Oh yes, I forgot Murphy. I would put him up there as one of their best seats in the end.
    Speedy said:

Right now who knows, only a few reasonable guesses will be a Glasgow seat or Jim Murphy's seat or an Edinburgh seat.
  • Options

So to start going up (above where they are now), they will need the next (slightly harder) marginals to fall as well.

Well LordA says 3.5% swing so that's 41 gains and the nationals say 5% or 58 gains.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    I don't think Labour will win all 80 seats .
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    If Labour lose all 41 of their seats in Scotland and make 10 Lib Dem gains they will be on 226 seats + gains from the Tories.

If the Tories lose their 1 seat in Scotland, 4 seats to UKIP and make 20 Lib Dem gains they will be on 321 seats - losses to Labour.

So I make it 48 Labour gains to a Labour lead in seats. Stevenage. Or Elmet & Rothwell when you consider that UKIP will probably take Thurrock. But Labour likely won't take Loughborough or Kingswood, so they need to reach Vale of Glamorgan.

The Labour plurality cheerleaders are putting a lot of trust in the national swing. I just think this is too many gains for Labour to make.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,978
    Labour will win 40% to 50% of those, plus six or seven LD seats. That may just make up for the Scottish debacle.
  • Options

A piss job !
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I don't think Labour will win all 80 seats .

Labour would need to be ahead by 3-4% in the national polls for that.
  • Options

It'll need many more than 20 gains to stand still; 30 is probably the minimum if you then add on the handful of gains that will come at the expense of the LibDems.
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Nice table, sortable by seat, ranking or whichever column you like.

Did my civic duty, along with wife and daughter for her first GE at lunch time. Greens have got at least one vote in North Herts.

There seems to be such an avalanche of bad polls for the Blue team that it gets harder and harder to see them preventing EICIPM. Maybe the bad polls will act as motivation to some Kippers and Unionists to vote Blue.
  • Options
    wumperwumper Posts: 35
    you missed Lincoln
  • Options
    philiph said:

There seems to be such an avalanche of bad polls for the Blue team that it gets harder and harder to see them preventing EICIPM. Maybe the bad polls will act as motivation to some Kippers and Unionists to vote Blue.

They were so late, would many people besides us wonks have noticed, given the reporting restrictions today mean possibly even fewer people than normal have been keeping an eye for such things?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Good luck tonight to Mike and Robert Smithson, the MODS and all others involved with Project PB 2015.

And to all the PB cognoscenti may your ARSE go with you.
  • Options

Your last sentence is the reason why so many of your MPs will get their P45s next week. Many of your MPs won because we voted for you lot.

Now it is our turn to put the boot in.

I still can't believe Ed Davey pushing leaflets even this morning saying only the LD can stop the Tories !

Sorry, Ed. The LD is the Tory bitch.
  • Options
    If we're looking at UKIP threat in Labour traditional heartlands...I would watch out Harlepool....CLP is not particularly on the spot...
    football club urged theirs fans to think twice before voting for the sitting MP...ok, I am told Hartlepool football club is a bit crap anyway and almost got relegated...but anyway
  • Options
    rogerhrogerh Posts: 282
    Any feeling for turnout,level of postal voting?
  • Options
    Rexel56Rexel56 Posts: 807

"We're all in this together" was a brilliant phrase until it turned out it was not true. The Tories are not running away with this election because voters believe that their first instincts are to look after the people at the top of the tree. The wealthy - corporations and individuals - have never had it so good; everyone else, not so much. That is not a sustainable situation.

And yet today you've voted for a party under whose government it was more the case than it is now, and whose policies would have the direct consequence of making inequality worse in the future.

It is indeed a funny old world.

... huge cuts to child and working tax credits...
    I recall the same scare stories in the last few days of GE 2010 targeted at women being credited for the late swing that prevented the Tory majority... Is the same thing happening...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,994
    kle4 said:

philiph said:

They were so late, would many people besides us wonks have noticed, given the reporting restrictions today mean possibly even fewer people than normal have been keeping an eye for such things?
    The front pages of the papers were banging on about how close it was.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Jackboots?

Not very ladylike. Chelsea boots or some variation on that theme. I just had a pair re-heeled a few days ago so they might have to do.

• Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    FPT:
    JackW said:

JackW said:

SeanT said:

I suggest that if, against all the odds (or at least the polls) JackW is vindicated, then we should have JackW's ARSE cast in gold and kept at PB Towers under glass, for all to admire.

This is entirely feasible, by the way.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2359590/Would-cast-brass-How-turning-bits-body-art-new-middle-class-trend.html

Might I suggest Damien Hirst be commissioned to undertake a platinum and diamond encrusted ARSE named :

"For the Love of ARSE"

My own ARSE is a bit wobbly. My stakes are biggest on Lab most seats and turnout under 65%. I do have some side punts too, including most of the Jack W dozen.

Finally people are starting to talk about politics at work. I have persuaded a few to vote for the yellow peril fairly easily including in Bosworth, where they stand a chance. We LibDems may not be as out of favour as I thought.
    As a wobbly and seemingly partial ARSE denier you may be forced to sever a hand as punishment.

However as a man of medicine you'll be able to save the NHS the trouble and do the surgery yourself. :smile:

As a matter of interest what was your final turnout figure?

I salute your indefatigability!

Saturdays with no ARSE to peruse first thing are going to be a little dull.
  • Options

If Labour lose all 41 of their seats in Scotland and make 10 Lib Dem gains they will be on 226 seats + gains from the Tories.

If the Tories lose their 1 seat in Scotland, 4 seats to UKIP and make 20 Lib Dem gains they will be on 321 seats - losses to Labour.

So I make it 48 Labour gains to a Labour lead in seats. Stevenage. Or Elmet & Rothwell when you consider that UKIP will probably take Thurrock. But Labour likely won't take Loughborough or Kingswood, so they need to reach Vale of Glamorgan.

The Labour plurality cheerleaders are putting a lot of trust in the national swing. I just think this is too many gains for Labour to make.

The problem with your hypothesis is that the Tories are highly unlikely to gain 20 seats from the LD.
    So lets see what the polls say:
    The constituency polls say they should have 270 seats each.
    The national say Labour ahead by about 15-20 seats.

• Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704

If we're looking at UKIP threat in Labour traditional heartlands...I would watch out Harlepool....CLP is not particularly on the spot...
    football club urged theirs fans to think twice before voting for the sitting MP...ok, I am told Hartlepool football club is a bit crap anyway and almost got relegated...but anyway

Wasn't that the seat of the dark Lord Mandleson?
  • Options
    I am very, very confident of winning my one proper GE bet.

A while back me and isam bet on whether Ed would get 50% plus of the vote in his constituency. I said Yes, he said No.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @NinjaEconomics: Want to make money on Britain's #UKelection2015? Here's how: http://t.co/CCgLhn21hT http://t.co/Fu0Ddzv1fV
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm saying 50-60 gains.

50 from the Tories and 11 from LD. Lose 35 to the SNP.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    does anyone happen to have a link to somewhere that lists just the Scottish seats by size of majority please? getting my paperwork together for the long night ahead.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

FPT:

JackW said:

JackW said:

SeanT said:

I suggest that if, against all the odds (or at least the polls) JackW is vindicated, then we should have JackW's ARSE cast in gold and kept at PB Towers under glass, for all to admire.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2359590/Would-cast-brass-How-turning-bits-body-art-new-middle-class-trend.html

Might I suggest Damien Hirst be commissioned to undertake a platinum and diamond encrusted ARSE named :

"For the Love of ARSE"

My own ARSE is a bit wobbly. My stakes are biggest on Lab most seats and turnout under 65%. I do have some side punts too, including most of the Jack W dozen.

Finally people are starting to talk about politics at work. I have persuaded a few to vote for the yellow peril fairly easily including in Bosworth, where they stand a chance. We LibDems may not be as out of favour as I thought.
    As a wobbly and seemingly partial ARSE denier you may be forced to sever a hand as punishment.

However as a man of medicine you'll be able to save the NHS the trouble and do the surgery yourself. :smile:

68%

• Options
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

philiph said:

The front pages of the papers were banging on about how close it was.
    Yes I suppose you're right - I've never regularly bought newspapers, so I do tend to forget about them sometimes.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Your last sentence is the reason why so many of your MPs will get their P45s next week. Many of your MPs won because we voted for you lot.

I still can't believe Ed Davey pushing leaflets even this morning saying only the LD can stop the Tories !

Quite the betrayal, too, when they were supposed to be the Labour bitch.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Many of your MPs won because we voted for you lot

My lot? You have no idea which parties I voted for today. There were two elections here and I voted differently in each
    surbiton said:

Revenge politics? Hardly admirable

• Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2015
    A very early Evening to all.

Isn’t there a PB lock-in tonight at some shady London pub or other? – any idea on the numbers of 'on the spot' reporters that will be attending?

Hope the evening is a great success for all involved, and look forward to reading their pronouncements throughout the night.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Ooops! Posted on previous thread by mistake.

Ed in power won't change a lot, assuming the lights don't go out. Energy bills will rise to pay for the green initiatives and everyone's taxes will rise a little to pay for the Gaelgeld, but look on the bright side.

Scots will be better off, and our carbon footprint will disappear. And everyone else will be equal so any misery will be shared. And there will no more more Islamophobia allowed.

And lots of people will feel better about themselves.
  • Options
    When are we allowed to talk about Postal Vote returns?

Presumably some on here will have some first hand knowledge-
    Bunnco?
    Marquee Mark?
    David Herdson?

Are we allowed to discuss after 10pm??
  • Options
    TabmanTabman Posts: 1,046
    ;-)

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    surbiton said:

Well it is certainly true in your constituency with voters like you helping the Tories as much as you can .
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

Isn’t there a PB lock-in tonight at some shady London pub or other? – any idea on the numbers of 'on the spot reporters that will be attending?

Hope the evening is a great success for all involved, and look forward to reading their pronouncements throughout the night.

Just err me so far. Finborough Arms West Brampton
  • Options

When are we allowed to talk about Postal Vote returns?

Presumably some on here will have some first hand knowledge-
    Bunnco?
    Marquee Mark?
    David Herdson?

Are we allowed to discuss after 10pm??

After 10pm you can discuss anything. You may not reveal exact final figures until the RO announces it. But are those 10 minutes of any importance ?
  • Options
    It don't start till 5 though :p
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    CD13 said:

everyone else will be equal so any misery will be shared.

Repealing the "bedroom tax" will be fun. It came up in one of the debates. Apparently if it applies to some housing and not others it will be subject to judicial review

@MrJacHart: Each time someone from #Labour asks you about the #BedroomTax, ask them to explain how the Local Housing Allowance they introduced works...
  • Options

surbiton said:

Many of your MPs won because we voted for you lot

My lot? You have no idea which parties I voted for today. There were two elections here and I voted differently in each
    surbiton said:

Revenge politics? Hardly admirable

Two parties ? Are you not the Lib Dem Councillor ?

If not, sorry !
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Good evening everyone.

Right, game on for the next 12 hours at least.... just left Paddington, and I'll be back in Penzance shortly after the polls close. As the saying (almost) goes, I'm going back to my constituency and preparing for no effective government.

I've missed a few hours so apologise for my ignorance, so what's the working hypothesis for the betting/polling disconnect. Is it a) market dominance by rich optimistic Tories; b) all the polls are 3-5% too red because of reasons; or c) UNS is old news and the Tories can now magically transmute level pegging to a 20 seat lead?

(In case this is mistaken for over-optimism, I'm going to be Southam-standard terrified about b) until at least Nuneaton at 1am).
  • Options

FPT:

JackW said:

JackW said:

SeanT said:

"For the Love of ARSE"

Something like Tories 631, Bercow 1, NI 18.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    Just voted (Harrogate & Knaresborough) Tory in the Westminster, LD, in the locals.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

;-)

Someone was looking for you on a thread yesterday (I think). Did you see the message?
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    CD13 said:

Ed in power won't change a lot, assuming the lights don't go out. Energy bills will rise to pay for the green initiatives and everyone's taxes will rise a little to pay for the Gaelgeld, but look on the bright side.

Scots will be better off, and our carbon footprint will disappear. And everyone else will be equal so any misery will be shared. And there will no more more Islamophobia allowed.

yeah Ed is going to ban Charlie Hebdo, and we wont be able to discuss Rotherham without being called Islamophobes, he'll also destroy the free press and freedom of speech, so much to look forward to
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited May 2015
    One of things I don't get is why would there be 'shy Tory' effect at this election? The polls practically got the Conservative share accurate last time, and PB's favourite pollster, ICM was the pioneer of polling methods post 1992. If anything, there's far likely to be shy-Kippers, and to lesser extent maybe even shy-LDs.

Polls look good for Labour, but I'm not counting my chickens. Feeling nervy tonight.
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    edited May 2015
    Could we have the top Tory targets from Labour as well please...? For balance, you understand.

signed: A right wing nut-job (copyright mural_s)
  • Options
    acf2310acf2310 Posts: 141
    Some moves to EM on next PM - now 1.94, with DC at 2.06. Most seats unchanged. Small crossovers probably just the function of people getting bored and covering positions...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I have cast my vote (for the Lib Dems if you must know, though I was havering even in the booth). Islington South & Finsbury was not unduly busy.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @The_Apocalypse
    With the pasting Ed was getting in the press, I would suggest that "shy Labour" might also be in the equation?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    kjohnw said:

CD13 said:

yeah Ed is going to ban Charlie Hebdo, and we wont be able to discuss Rotherham without being called Islamophobes, he'll also destroy the free press and freedom of speech, so much to look forward to
    But segregated rallies and "vote for god, vote for labour" will still be welcome in Ed's world.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Pulpstar said:

Isn’t there a PB lock-in tonight at some shady London pub or other? – any idea on the numbers of 'on the spot reporters that will be attending?

Arf. - I'm sure you'll have some company very soon Mr Pulpstar. A long night ahead so go easy on the pork scratchings and Tequila slammers. :lol:
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tabman said:

;-)

Someone was looking for you on a thread yesterday (I think). Did you see the message?
    I didn't - do you know which thread please?
  • Options
    Speedy said:

The problem with your hypothesis is that the Tories are highly unlikely to gain 20 seats from the LD.
    I know it's just a subsample, but I was struck by the figures for Lib Dem held seats in England & Wales in the final ICM poll: Con 28%, Lab 27%, Lib Dem 27%, UKIP 9%, Green 7%.

Given that the Labour and Conservative votes will be less evenly distributed in these seats than the Lib Dem vote, and that's a recipe for an almost complete wipeout. Twenty Tory gains could be at the low end.

Also notable is that not a single ICM poll in this Parliament had the Lib Dems on less than 10% until March 2015, and yet their final poll puts the Lib Dems on just 9%. I had expected the Lib Dems to rally as the election approached, but it hasn't happened.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,904
    LAST EVER BJESUS - No Change

7.5.15 LAB 287 (287) CON 272(272) LD 29(29) UKIP 3(3) Others 59(59) (Ed is crap is PM)
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    Tabman said:

RobD said:

Tabman said:

;-)

it was late last night
  • Options
    Smarmeron said:

@The_Apocalypse
    With the pasting Ed was getting in the press, I would suggest that "shy Labour" might also be in the equation?

Wouldn't surprise me. Perhaps picking that up finally was what led to the convergence.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658
    Are there two doctors in the house? I'd certify myself but I'm not qualified. I just put a lose-able pittance on CON MAJ. Yes.

Go on - say it.
  • Options

LAST EVER BJESUS - No Change

7.5.15 LAB 287 (287) CON 272(272) LD 29(29) UKIP 3(3) Others 59(59) (Ed is crap is PM)

Bit too much on the LDs. You have definitely skimmed on the Nats.
  • Options
    Tabman said:

RobD said:

Tabman said:

;-)

PB search feature is crap, so took me a while to find it (it's the post by nichomar)

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/659131/#Comment_659131
  • Options
    8.4.15 LAB 292 (292) CON 272(271) LD 30(30) UKIP 2(2) Others 54(55) (Ed is crap is PM)
    11.3.15 LAB 290 (295) CON 273(269) LD 30(30) UKIP 3(2) Others 54(54) (Ed is crap is PM)
    10.2.15 LAB 295 (313) CON 268(267) LD 29(29) UKIP 2(2) Others 56(39) (Ed is crap is PM)

BJESUS Either consistently wrong or right for 3 months.

Tomorrow tells us which
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Let us know if the pizza is good!
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Smarmeron said:

@The_Apocalypse

Maybe, though Labour voters usually don't feel ''embarrassed' about who they vote for, so I doubt that there is much of a shy-Labour effect. That said, Labour's seat share was underestimated in 2010.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited May 2015
    Fisher hopes to be within 20-25 seats on the main two parties, a similar range to the one offered by pre-election forecasters like Newsnight’s Election Forecast.

Thankfully, we should get a better idea of its accuracy early in the night than we did in 2010. Last time round the BBC spent three hours rubbishing its own exit poll after the first seats to declare, in Sunderland, showed unexpected swings. The people that had come up with the poll – Curtice, Fisher and co – were unperturbed. They reportedly took one look at the Lib Dem share and put their feet up.

That wasn’t how it was reported on the BBC. This time Woodhouse, the BBC editor, is going to have a more direct line to Curtice, and put him on air. If you want to know how accurate the exit pollers think their forecast is, listen to Curtice. Only one important result is due before 2am – Nuneaton, a seat Labour need to win, at 1.30 – but if Curtice is confident in his poll by then, take note.

http://www.may2015.com/featured/election-2015-what-is-the-exit-poll-and-how-does-it-work/
  • Options
    On the other hand...

Ipsos MORI final poll was CON & LAB 35% on standard methodology. CON up 1 after "addjustment for refusals based on newspaper readership "

— Mike Smithson (@MSmithsonPB) May 7, 2015
  • Options
    acf2310 said:

Some moves to EM on next PM - now 1.94, with DC at 2.06. Most seats unchanged. Small crossovers probably just the function of people getting bored and covering positions...

Re-crossover. Ed will crash to 1.05 at 10:02pm
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited May 2015

Pulpstar said:

Arf. - I'm sure you'll have some company very soon Mr Pulpstar. A long night ahead so go easy on the pork scratchings and Tequila slammers. :lol:
    Have fun and keep us updated. I would recommend to others to get to a PB drinkies. Very pleasant company. Unlikely as it may seem roger and I got on fine. We will struggle to insult each other now!
    surbiton said:

FPT:

JackW said:

JackW said:

SeanT said:

"For the Love of ARSE"

Something like Tories 631, Bercow 1, NI 18.
    I am fairly sure John Looney was even more optomistic than that in the PB prediction contest!
  • Options

Smarmeron said:

@The_Apocalypse

Maybe, though Labour voters usually don't feel ''embarrassed' about who they vote for, so I doubt that there is much of a shy-Labour effect. That said, Labour's seat share was underestimated in 2010.
    Underestimated by 47 !!!!!
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    surbiton said:

acf2310 said:

Re-crossover. Ed will crash to 1.05 at 10:02pm
    That's the one bet I'm hoping to lose money on.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kle4 said:

Smarmeron said:

@The_Apocalypse

Wouldn't surprise me. Perhaps picking that up finally was what led to the convergence.
    The one thing that's still niggling at me is George Eaton (famed for puting the most positive gloss for Miliband on anything) has confirmed that both the Tories' and Labour's internal projections from canvassing as of yesterday showed the Tories having most seats. Could they be completely wrong??
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,028

Speedy said:

I know it's just a subsample, but I was struck by the figures for Lib Dem held seats in England & Wales in the final ICM poll: Con 28%, Lab 27%, Lib Dem 27%, UKIP 9%, Green 7%.

Given that the Labour and Conservative votes will be less evenly distributed in these seats than the Lib Dem vote, and that's a recipe for an almost complete wipeout. Twenty Tory gains could be at the low end.

Also notable is that not a single ICM poll in this Parliament had the Lib Dems on less than 10% until March 2015, and yet their final poll puts the Lib Dems on just 9%. I had expected the Lib Dems to rally as the election approached, but it hasn't happened.
    Dunno. LDs are facing wipeout in some specific LAB-facing seats which will account for a fair chunk of that 27%.

I also tend to think that when it comes down to it in the polling place, most LAB/Green types will vote against the Tory, if it's a Tory marginal. Especially as in most cases they'll be able to vote with their heart in the local election. Plus possibly a shy Kipper factor eating into the Con vote.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Speedy said:

Indeed. I've heard that canvassing in Lewes today has left the Dems sweating. Seepage to Labour and greens apparently. That should have been a certain hold. And may of course still be.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Prodicus said:

On the other hand...

Ipsos MORI final poll was CON & LAB 35% on standard methodology. CON up 1 after "addjustment for refusals based on newspaper readership "

— Mike Smithson (@MSmithsonPB) May 7, 2015

Er, what?
  • Options
    JonCisBackJonCisBack Posts: 911
    Forgot to post my voting anecdote...

Voted at 7.05, queue of 8 people. tellers said they had never seen a queue at that time. Lots of people coming in to vote as i left.

Hertford and Stortford, rock solid Tory hold, but I predict a largeish UKIP share (12-14% at a guess). Locals last year was ~1000 Con vs 850 UKIP

No Lib Dem candidate AT ALL in the locals (3 seats all up). 3 Con, 1 UKIP, 1 Lab.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Two parties ? Are you not the Lib Dem Councillor ?

If not, sorry !

I have never held public office nor stood for one. I have never even joined a political party. I have signed nomination papers for long standing friends who are politically involved but that is as good as it gets.
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274
    edited May 2015
    surbiton said:

Smarmeron said:

@The_Apocalypse

Underestimated by 47 !!!!!
    In contrast to 2015 the polls in 2010 were notably volatile, especially surrounding Clegg-mania. The Lab - Lib switching which was suggested (at times putting Lab in third place) did not materialise. It is this that the polls did not pick up. The 47 underestimate you mention was an incumbency underestimate as well as a Labour underestimate.

• Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    3,500 have dropped from the electoral roll in Cardiff Central and 5,000 from Ceredigion apparently..
  • Options
    15 minutes ago: "On #labourdoorstep in Roding 4 @wesstreeting with colleagues from Islington, Wanstead, W'stow & L'stone"

so it looks Lab is working Ilford North in these crucial hours
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Where's all the pb tories,come on guys,I need some good news.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,904
    edited May 2015
    Andrea

"what are the best hopes for SLAB to hold a seat? Edinburgh South and East Lothian? "

Edinburgh South. A very talented and hard working MP who is in with a very good chance. Look out also for Aberdeen South.

• Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    midwinter said:

Indeed. I've heard that canvassing in Lewes today has left the Dems sweating. Seepage to Labour and greens apparently. That should have been a certain hold. And may of course still be.

Lewes looks like being close. It's partly because Maria Caulfield put an enormous amount of effort in early on, at a time when she wasn't getting much support at all from central office (that changed about a year ago). Norman Baker was complacent initially but eventually woke up, and the two sides have been going all out since.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Smarmeron said:

@The_Apocalypse

The one thing that's still niggling at me is George Eaton (famed for puting the most positive gloss for Miliband on anything) has confirmed that both the Tories' and Labour's internal projections from canvassing as of yesterday showed the Tories having most seats. Could they be completely wrong??
    I would hope both would know their business better than me, and they certainly have a lot more evidence to hand than me, but I'm at the stage where I won't believe that until I see it.

And now I think I'll try to catch some sleep before heading to the count later.

I do hope NickPalmer wins, whatever the result nationally - I figure it's probably too late to jinx his chances, even though the polls are still open.
  • Options
    Update: Decided to load up on sugar and fat at a Burger King
  • Options
    @GuidoFawkes: Another marginal seat says CCHQ have told 'em to not enter data into VoteSource. Database has crashed.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tabman said:

RobD said:

Tabman said:

;-)

PB search feature is crap, so took me a while to find it (it's the post by nichomar)

http://politicalbetting.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/659131/#Comment_659131
    THanks I've IM'd him
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Where's all the pb tories,come on guys,I need some good news.

Yay *small voice*

• Options
    kle4 said:

I do hope NickPalmer wins, whatever the result nationally - I figure it's probably too late to jinx his chances, even though the polls are still open.

Only 75 minutes left for him to get his vote out before E4 is switched back on again...
  • Options
    nigel4englandnigel4england Posts: 4,800

@GuidoFawkes: Another marginal seat says CCHQ have told 'em to not enter data into VoteSource. Database has crashed.

Anyone else think the Tories want to lose!??
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,924
    kjohnw said:

CD13 said:

Grow up
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

midwinter said:

Lewes looks like being close. It's partly because Maria Caulfield put an enormous amount of effort in early on, at a time when she wasn't getting much support at all from central office (that changed about a year ago). Norman Baker was complacent initially but eventually woke up, and the two sides have been going all out since.
    Thanks that's interesting I've heard Seaford is solid for Baker but Lewes town much less so. Sounds like they need ukip to take blue votes.

Any news from Eastbourne?
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Smarmeron said:

@The_Apocalypse

Labour voters particularly the tribal ones such as Surbiton have the political memory of gnats . They are totally incapable of remembering the damage their party did to the economy of this country in 2005 to 2010 .