Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the day of the royal birth – Marf and the weekend genera

12345679»

Comments

• Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

Dadge said:

@YBarddCwsc

"A half-way decent Labour leader would have won this election easily"

I understand where you are coming from but I think you are wrong.

Firstly, the scale of the defeat in 2010, with just 29% of the vote, was huge.

Secondly, the tories have dropped spectacularly lucky with a plausible "economic recovery" nd one of the predicted unemployment, strikes and riots.

Thirdly, the rise of the SNP cannot be laid entirely at his door. It's basically 'events'.

1979 (Winter of Discontent plus "Crisis? What Crisis?"), 1997 (economic f*ck up 1992 plus sleaze and party division) and 2010 economic f*ck up 2008 plus sleaze, albeit x-party, and party division) - Each time there was was a clear reason in the electorate's head for change. ZHC and bedroom tax aren't big enough.

Miliband has done a sterling job. After one term of a fairly united tory-led coalition and no memorable, attributable economic f*ck up, if he fails he deserves another go.

I think you're wrong. Ed is a pretty awful candidate for PM; Labour would be 2-3% ahead with an electable leader; and they should ditch Ed asap if Cameron remains PM. No room for sympathy.
    Well I think you are wrong. We shall have to agree to disagree.

Perhaps we can agree on Richard Bacon. Can't stand him, myself, but my other half thinks he's wonderful. Bit of a crush really.

Perhaps, as I head to bed. I should pretend to be Richard Bacon. If I can get my hands on a copy of the Guardian and gram of coke I think I'm in.

Good night all.

If wit were shit, Bacon would be constipated (allegedly).
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    RodCrosby said:

As far as I understand the system there is no onus on the PM to resign? Did Major have to go so suddenly in '97 or could he have waited for a confidence motion? Obviously that would have been silly in his case but we're dealing with technicalities here.

I think Disraeli in 1868 was the first PM to resign once the results were known, if the Opposition won a majority, a convention which has been adhered to ever since.
    Salisbury, in 1886, on the other hand, was the last leader of the 2nd-placed party (in a hung parliament) to hold on for a vote in the House, although scholars contend this right still exists, in principle.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,900
    Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Dredging my memory banks on Richard Bacon - but not enough to waste time googling it - was he not fired from some kids TV show for cocaine use years ago?

Yes...on coke....he most recently had an afternoon radio show on BBC Radio 5, and it was (even by the BBC standards) more Guardian than the Guardian. It was basically Bacon talking a lot of bollocks about stuff he doesn't really understand, but thinks he is now an expert because he read about it in that mornings Guardian.

I had the misfortune of bumping into him in real life fairly recently and I can confirm he is just like on the telly / radio.
    Don't feel bad - I had the misfortune of being involved peripherally in a situation mainly inflated by Al Sharpton almost 30 years ago, and had the misfortune to meet him then.

On another level, if they took him back there's hope for Jeremy Clarkson. Last week the 3 presenters plus Andy Wilman met, allegedly 'secretly'. It was probably to discuss 'Clarkson, Hammond and May Live' events, shooting for which is already underway.

Couple this with the head of BBC2 saying that "Jeremy Clarkson will be back on the BBC. He has not been banned. His contract was merely not renewed".

I just have this feeling that after a suitable interval, commercial reality will prevail, some form of words will be found, and back they'll be.

Try watching the American Top Gear - made by BBC Worldwide - to see what the formula is like without Clarkson, Hamster, and the captain. It's awful. Ditto the Australian one.
    I have seen American Top Gear...it is Top Gear with all the good bits taken out. It is a very strange show, it is all "challenge", where most challenges aren't very interesting and the 3 presenters have very little chemistry.
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Tim_B said:

Dredging my memory banks on Richard Bacon - but not enough to waste time googling it - was he not fired from some kids TV show for cocaine use years ago?

Yes...on coke....he most recently had an afternoon radio show on BBC Radio 5, and it was (even by the BBC standards) more Guardian than the Guardian. It was basically Bacon talking a lot of bollocks about stuff he doesn't really understand, but thinks he is now an expert because he read about it in that mornings Guardian.

I had the misfortune of bumping into him in real life fairly recently and I can confirm he is just like on the telly / radio.
    Don't feel bad - I had the misfortune of being involved peripherally in a situation mainly inflated by Al Sharpton almost 30 years ago, and had the misfortune to meet him then.

On another level, if they took him back there's hope for Jeremy Clarkson. Last week the 3 presenters plus Andy Wilman met, allegedly 'secretly'. It was probably to discuss 'Clarkson, Hammond and May Live' events, shooting for which is already underway.

Couple this with the head of BBC2 saying that "Jeremy Clarkson will be back on the BBC. He has not been banned. His contract was merely not renewed".

I just have this feeling that after a suitable interval, commercial reality will prevail, some form of words will be found, and back they'll be.

Try watching the American Top Gear - made by BBC Worldwide - to see what the formula is like without Clarkson, Hamster, and the captain. It's awful. Ditto the Australian one.
    I have seen American Top Gear...it is Top Gear with all the good bits taken out. It is a very strange show, it is all "challenge", where most challenges aren't very interesting and the 3 presenters have very little chemistry.
    Precisely - the chemistry is what makes it. The three guys obviously care about each other, the classic being when Hammond was seriously injured in real life.

If you think about what Top Gear really is, it is a broadly scripted sitcom about three middle aged guys and their exploits usually involving vehicles of one kind or another. Think 'Last of the Summer Wine' and 'Golden Girls' with the internal combustion engine.

Viewers identify with the iconoclast, the cheeky irrepressible brummie chappy who doesn't like any foreign food, and the plodding intellectual. On paper it's nonsense but it works brilliantly. Take any one of them away and it doesn't.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    I was a huge fan of Five Live back in the late 90's into the 2000's when they had a great line up from the morning slot right through to the late evening. Now I don't bother to tune in at all. We started off with Nicky Campbell at 9am & the phone in, then he had a regular selection of journalist guests that covered the UK and also globally with the US/Russian segment. IIRC, one of the classic moments involved the Russian journalist getting upset about insults about Russian women's beauty. Over the years I would get really fond of various shows like Edwina Curry's weekend slot, yes I was listening in disappointed that she was having a weekend off the night the news broke of her autobiography breaking the John Major affair. Reaction of Five Live that night still makes me laugh.

I also love Fi Glover, and Five Live was a poorer place for her leaving as the awful Victoria Derbyshire moved in to take over Nicky Campbell's former slot.... Even after someone sensible stepped in and put Nicky Campbell back in charge of the daily phone in, I see that Victoria Derbyshire got her own slot on BBC 24 News. What a crazy decision, look behind you, Nicky Campbell is by far the better anchor to host both audience and news based shows.

Tim_B said:

He recently left the BBC for LA, where he hopes to make to big in Tinseltown. Unfortunately, every show he has gone for has been canned before it got on air or he hasn't got the gig.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    Just a bit on campaigning. This piece about Nicky Morgan's campaign in Loughborough supports what was said on here yesterday - Tories only sending out their election addresses to every voter right at the end:

"This decision to leave it late was made on the basis that voters wouldn’t be thinking much about the election until now anyway. The Labour addresses went out much earlier."
    http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/isabel-hardman/2015/05/nicky-morgans-market-place-fight-to-hold-her-marginal-seat/
  • Options
    fitalass said:

I was a huge fan of Five Live back in the late 90's into the 2000's when they had a great line up from the morning slot right through to the late evening. Now I don't bother to tune in at all. We started off with Nicky Campbell at 9am & the phone in, then he had a regular selection of journalist guests that covered the UK and also globally with the US/Russian segment. IIRC, one of the classic moments involved the Russian journalist getting upset about insults about Russian women's beauty. Over the years I would get really fond of various shows like Edwina Curry's weekend slot, yes I was listening in disappointed that she was having a weekend off the night the news broke of her autobiography breaking the John Major affair. Reaction of Five Live that night still makes me laugh.

I also love Fi Glover, and Five Live was a poorer place for her leaving as the awful Victoria Derbyshire moved in to take over Nicky Campbell's former slot.... Even after someone sensible stepped in and put Nicky Campbell back in charge of the daily phone in, I see that Victoria Derbyshire got her own slot on BBC 24 News. What a crazy decision, look behind you, Nicky Campbell is by far the better anchor to host both audience and news based shows.

Tim_B said:

He recently left the BBC for LA, where he hopes to make to big in Tinseltown. Unfortunately, every show he has gone for has been canned before it got on air or he hasn't got the gig.
    Richard Bacon makes Piers Morgan look like David Frost.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,900
    edited May 2015
    fitalass said:

Tim_B said:

Fi Glover got a terrible deal. Her husband went off bonking Derbyshire, and Glover was the one that basically had to leave, even though she was the innocent party.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

As far as I understand the system there is no onus on the PM to resign? Did Major have to go so suddenly in '97 or could he have waited for a confidence motion? Obviously that would have been silly in his case but we're dealing with technicalities here.

I think Disraeli in 1868 was the first PM to resign once the results were known, if the Opposition won a majority, a convention which has been adhered to ever since.
    Salisbury, in 1886, on the other hand, was the last leader of the 2nd-placed party (in a hung parliament) to hold on for a vote in the House, although scholars contend this right still exists, in principle.
    And that must be true, since both 2nd-placed Heath in 1974 and Brown in 2010 remained in situ, to explore that very possibility, although in both cases they came to the conclusion a vote was not going to be successful, and resigned.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Tim_B said:

They should bring back Pete Murray, your DJ DJ (David Jacobs) and Uncle Mac.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Up All Night isn't too bad on Five Live between 1am and 5am.
  • Options
    Matthew Parris:

"This election has made me understand how it felt to be a lefty under Thatcher

I love the British people. And I believe they are about to make a stupid and unfathomable mistake"

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnists/matthew-parris/9512382/this-election-has-made-me-understand-how-it-felt-to-be-a-lefty-under-thatcher/
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Professor John Curtis predicts Cameron and Clegg to be back in office, possibly with help from the DUP and UKIP. Labour to add just 7 seats to their 2010 total.

His prediction:

Con 291
    Lab 265
    SNP 44
    LD 24
    DUP 9
    UKIP 3
    SDLP 3
    PC 3
    Greens 1

Con + LD + DUP + UKIP = 327.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3065710/Labour-lead-voters-prefer-Dave-Ed-Result-knife-edge-polls-conflicting-messages.html

The coalition from hell for lefties.
  • Options
    rubricrubric Posts: 5
    edited May 2015
    Apologies if this link has been posted before - Prof Curtice's health warning in advance re the 10pm exit poll. Plausible reasons for caution given.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-30/u-k-election-exit-pollster-says-his-poll-may-be-vague-or-wrong
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    rubric said:

Apologies if this link has been posted before - Prof Curtice's health warning in advance re the 10pm exit poll. Plausible reasons for caution given.
    www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-04-30/u-k-election-exit-pollster-says-his-poll-may-be-vague-or-wrong

I think it's incredible technical wizardry to be able to predict how 30 million people are going to vote from just 20,000 people in 140 carefully selected polling stations. In every election since 1997 the exit polls have been very accurate.

In 1992 BBC, ITV and Sky each did their own exit poll. These days they just do one together.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,166
    edited May 2015
    AndyJS said:

Professor John Curtis predicts Cameron and Clegg to be back in office, possibly with help from the DUP and UKIP. Labour to add just 7 seats to their 2010 total.

His prediction:

Con 291
    Lab 265
    SNP 44
    LD 24
    DUP 9
    UKIP 3
    SDLP 3
    PC 3
    Greens 1

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3065710/Labour-lead-voters-prefer-Dave-Ed-Result-knife-edge-polls-conflicting-messages.html

Not obvious what Con and UKIP could offer the LibDems to get them to go along with that. I suppose they have to square the circle with referendums? (EU and PR.)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    AndyJS said:

His prediction:

Con 291
    Lab 265
    SNP 44
    LD 24
    DUP 9
    UKIP 3
    SDLP 3
    PC 3
    Greens 1

And if the LDs say "UKIP+DUP? Don't fancy that...We'll sit on our hands."

Miliband is in.

Mind you, LDs and UKIP do have at least one common interest. PR...

Good article from Lewis Baston (earlier in 2015) on the Tories' pragmatic history on PR.
    http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2015/01/lewis-baston-the-conservative-story-of-support-for-election-reform.html
  • Options
    Dadge said:

@YBarddCwsc

"A half-way decent Labour leader would have won this election easily"

I understand where you are coming from but I think you are wrong.

Firstly, the scale of the defeat in 2010, with just 29% of the vote, was huge.

Secondly, the tories have dropped spectacularly lucky with a plausible "economic recovery" nd one of the predicted unemployment, strikes and riots.

Thirdly, the rise of the SNP cannot be laid entirely at his door. It's basically 'events'.

1979 (Winter of Discontent plus "Crisis? What Crisis?"), 1997 (economic f*ck up 1992 plus sleaze and party division) and 2010 economic f*ck up 2008 plus sleaze, albeit x-party, and party division) - Each time there was was a clear reason in the electorate's head for change. ZHC and bedroom tax aren't big enough.

Miliband has done a sterling job. After one term of a fairly united tory-led coalition and no memorable, attributable economic f*ck up, if he fails he deserves another go.

I think you're wrong. Ed is a pretty awful candidate for PM; Labour would be 2-3% ahead with an electable leader; and they should ditch Ed asap if Cameron remains PM. No room for sympathy.
    Who would be a specific electable leader you think they'd be ahead 2-3% with?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Constitutionally-speaking, he cannot do that, and in certain circumstances would be obliged to resign immediately.
    Yep that is garbage. If he has most seats then he is entitled to try to form a Government but there are plenty of permutations (mostly involving the SNP) where he will fail and be out even if he had the most seats and votes. Stupid thing for them to claim.
    If he was certain he could not command the House he would be obliged to go immediately, although I suppose there is a bit of wriggle-room over what "certain" means.
    There's no automatic obligation to resign. He's only obliged to go if he loses a vote of No Confidence. And even then, only if someone else can form a government within 14 days (or else it goes to a new election)
    If he's certain he can't, he must resign. However such certainty is usually only apparent when the Opposition has won a majority, although it is possible to conceive of other circumstances.

So he is entitled, provided there is genuine doubt, to meet the House to resolve the uncertainty.

But be in no doubt, if he loses the VoC, Miliband will be summoned to be PM, whether he has 200, 250, or 300 seats.
    Out of interest what does the timing on this look like? Apparently parliament returns on Monday 18th but the State Opening and Queen's Speech isn't scheduled until Wednesday 27. Would that mean the 27th is the first chance parliament would get to vote on whether they have confidence in Dave?

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/general/general-election-timetable-2015/
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

RodCrosby said:

Constitutionally-speaking, he cannot do that, and in certain circumstances would be obliged to resign immediately.
    Yep that is garbage. If he has most seats then he is entitled to try to form a Government but there are plenty of permutations (mostly involving the SNP) where he will fail and be out even if he had the most seats and votes. Stupid thing for them to claim.
    If he was certain he could not command the House he would be obliged to go immediately, although I suppose there is a bit of wriggle-room over what "certain" means.
    There's no automatic obligation to resign. He's only obliged to go if he loses a vote of No Confidence. And even then, only if someone else can form a government within 14 days (or else it goes to a new election)
    If he's certain he can't, he must resign. However such certainty is usually only apparent when the Opposition has won a majority, although it is possible to conceive of other circumstances.

So he is entitled, provided there is genuine doubt, to meet the House to resolve the uncertainty.

But be in no doubt, if he loses the VoC, Miliband will be summoned to be PM, whether he has 200, 250, or 300 seats.
    Out of interest what does the timing on this look like? Apparently parliament returns on Monday 18th but the State Opening and Queen's Speech isn't scheduled until Wednesday 27. Would that mean the 27th is the first chance parliament would get to vote on whether they have confidence in Dave?

http://www.parliament.uk/about/how/elections-and-voting/general/general-election-timetable-2015/
    I guess so, but since this is all quite novel, oddities could occur, such as Cameron asking the Queen to prorogue Parliament.

It is notable, btw, that MacDonald in 1924 after first combining with the Liberals to defeat Baldwin, did not, upon assuming office himself - with just 191 seats - put forward his own Queen's Speech...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    DEBATE ON THE ADDRESS.

HC Deb 21 January 1924 vol 169 cc532-685 532
    [FIFTH DAY.]

Order read for resuming Adjourned Debate on Amendment [17th January] to Question [15th January].

"That an humble Address be presented to His Majesty, as followeth:—

Most Gracious Sovereign,

We, Your Majesty's most dutiful and loyal subjects, the Commons of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, in Parliament assembled, beg leave to offer our humble thanks to Your Majesty for the Gracious Speech which Your Majesty has addressed to both Houses of Parliament."—[Mr. Banks.]

Which Amendment was, at the end of the Question, to add the words

"But it is our duty respectfully to submit to your Majesty that Your Majesty's present advisers have not the confidence of this House:"—[Mr. Clynes.]

Question again proposed, "That those words be there added."

[Debate ensued]

Mr. MacDONALD rose in, his place, and claimed to move, "That the Question be now put."
    Question, "That the Question be now put," put, and agreed to.

Question put accordingly, "That those words be there added."

The House divided: Ayes, 328; Noes, 256.

Words there added.

Main Question, as amended, proposed.

Several hon. Members having risen to speak,

Mr. MacDONALD rose in his place and claimed the Main Question, as amended.

[Several Points of Order]

Main Question, as amended, put accordingly.

The House divided: Ayes, 328; Noes, 251.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1924/jan/21/debate-on-the-address

Resolved,

"That an humble Address be presented to His Majesty, as followeth:—

Most Gracious Sovereign, We, Your Majesty's most dutiful and loyal subjects, the Commons of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, in Parliament assembled, beg leave to offer our humble thanks to Your Majesty for the Gracious Speech which Your Majesty has addressed to both Houses of Parliament. But it is our duty respectfully to submit to your Majesty that Your Majesty's present advisers have not the confidence of this House.

To be presented by Privy Councillors or members of His Majesty's Household.
  • Options
    His MAJESTY'S ANSWER TO ADDRESS.

HC Deb 22 January 1924 vol 169 c687 687
    THE VICE CHAMBERLAIN OF THE HOUSEHOLD (Captain Douglas Hacking) reported His Majesty's Answer to the Address as followeth: "I thank you for your loyal and dutiful Address, and will at once give it my careful consideration."

[Later that day, Baldwin resigned and the King summoned MacDonald].
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,203

PS I hear Peter from Putney thought the Broxtowe meet was only for Labourites - not at all, the idea was that it'd be fun to have a cross-party meet so close to an electin in a marginal. I recommend coming a bit early and having a wander round to sniff the atmosphere (the Labour office is on City Road, the Tory club on Station Road, both nearby).

Are we talking the Victoria Hotel here near Beeston Station? Or is there a pub?

I would like to be there. Probably voting tactically this time Contra Gloria.

• Options
    PurseybearPurseybear Posts: 766
    Just got one warning. Be careful of lower tory polls on a bank holiday weekend. Thats all.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,856
    edited May 2015

Just got one warning. Be careful of lower tory polls on a bank holiday weekend. Thats all.

Average Lab lead in online polls between August and April = 1.7%
    Average Lab lead in phone polls between August and April = 0.8%

• Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited May 2015

FerFuxSake

Ed Miliband to set his promises in stone

Tall limestone structure is intended to underline party leader’s commitment to keep Labour’s election pledges to voters

Ed Miliband has commissioned a giant stone inscription bearing Labour’s six election pledges that is set to be installed in the Downing Street Rose Garden if he becomes prime minister.

The 8ft 6in-high limestone structure is intended to underline his commitment to keep his promises by having them literally “carved in stone” and visible from the offices inside No 10.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/03/ed-miliband-sets-promises-in-stone

Already setting in stone wasting of money....Son of Brown.
    Limestone FFS - in London's acid rain? Even if it gets to the back of no 10 it will be weathered and cracked.

Doesn't this remind you of the principles of animalism being painted onto the wall of the cowshed in Animal Farm?

Coming soon - large pictures of Ed Miliband in every park and school in the country.
  • Options
    noisywinternoisywinter Posts: 249
    Almost uncrossover on betfair next PM
This discussion has been closed.