Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the day of the royal birth – Marf and the weekend genera

SystemSystem Posts: 11,767
edited May 2015 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the day of the royal birth – Marf and the weekend general election polls

After a CON lead of 1% last week tonight's Opinium/Observer poll has
CON 35
LAB 34
LD 8
UKIP 13
GTN 5

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,220
    First, like David Cameron
  • Options
    GeoffHGeoffH Posts: 56
    Second, like Red Ed
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,147
    Third, like the SNP? :D
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    3rd rate like NUFC's manager...
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    edited May 2015
    Who has been spotted where on labourdoorstep today so far? Not including those in their constituencies...and those who don't tweet!

Cooper: Pudsey
    Maria Eagle: Bolton West
    Reeves: Halifax
    Balls: Norwich South
    Burnham: Swindon South, Bristol West, Kingswood, Stroud,
    Gordon Brown: East Renfrewshire
    Owen Smith: Glamorgan
    Flint: Lincoln
    Ivan Lewis: Weaver Vale
    Trickett: Dewsbury
    Berger: Wirral West
    Lammy: Croydon Central
    Nottingham South MP: Sherwood
    Kate Green (Stretford & Urmston): Carlisle
    Sharon Hodgson (Sunderland and Washington somecompasspoint, IIRC, West): Stockton South
    Neath AM: Carmarthen East and Dinefwr
    Cardiff South AM: Glamorgan
    General Secretary: Bedford, Cambridge
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,093
    Fourth like the yellow peril
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Why are the LDs gradually tanking in SPIN ?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Because they are going to be hammered by SNP, lab and tories?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,073
    Dr. Parma, cheers for that information.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    I wonder if Balls had some urgent business at Carrow Road...

Must be a happy coincidence for him.
  • Options
    taffys said:

Because they are going to be hammered by SNP, lab and tories?

Like someone who earns a living by the dockside ?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,061
    Wow wow wow - for so many reasons, not least is this legal? I'm not sure I believe this!!

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/05/02/revealed-eds-night-time-dash-to-casa-brand-driven-by-postal-ballot-panic/#more-19683
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 606
    Soaking wet after a day on the doorstep in Pembrokeshire. Decent response but hell of a lot of people out. Where were they!
    Anecdote alert... heard that vale of Glamorgan looking interesting for labour. Tories have given up on Cardiff North.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Wow wow wow - for so many reasons, not least is this legal? I'm not sure I believe this!!

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/05/02/revealed-eds-night-time-dash-to-casa-brand-driven-by-postal-ballot-panic/#more-19683

Lol. As if were going to fall for their reverse psychology
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,459
    LD 11-20 seats still available at 4-1 with Ladbrokes.

I'm maxed out.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,080
    valleyboy said:

Soaking wet after a day on the doorstep in Pembrokeshire. Decent response but hell of a lot of people out. Where were they!

Hiding behind the sofa?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

valleyboy said:

Hiding behind the sofa?
    Probably thought we were Jehovah witnesses!
  • Options

i can quite believe that Scotland isn't going to be quite as terrible for Slab as the polls suggest...
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    valleyboy said:

Anecdote alert... heard that vale of Glamorgan looking interesting for labour. Tories have given up on Cardiff North.

Troll alert.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

i can quite believe that Scotland isn't going to be quite as terrible for Slab as the polls suggest...
    Nor the Tories, perhaps?!
    It does smack of reverse psychology though :-)
  • Options

Could be completely fake, but written to fire up the base?
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

If this is anything close to true, given Labour supporters less than lilly white record with postal votes, they really are in serious brown stuff.
  • Options

Nor the Tories, perhaps?!
    It does smack of reverse psychology though :-)
    I know what you are saying and if it were labourlist then I'd definitely be sniffy but labour uncut are hardly cheerleaders... someone might have fed them a line though.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,969
    edited May 2015
  • Options
    Steven_WhaleySteven_Whaley Posts: 313
    valleyboy said:

It turned out to be Jehovah's Witnesses last time I opened my door thinking it was going to be political campaigners. I was disappointed not to get the chance to rant a bit...

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm maxed out.

Defo value !
  • Options
    DairDair Posts: 6,108

Who has been spotted where on labourdoorstep today so far? Not including those in their constituencies...and those who don't tweet!

He was campaigning with Jim Murphy but for some reason they were at Silverburn which isn't in East Ren, it's in Glasgow South West.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fourth like the yellow peril

Might be a bit hasty there.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

valleyboy said:

GIN1138 said:

valleyboy said:

Hiding behind the sofa?
    What sort of response was your party getting?
    I'm not in cloud cuckoo land and realise that to win Preseli is going to be difficult, but we have a good high profile local candidate. Responses were good, we were working a favourable labour area and we will get more votes than last time, but whether it will be enough, time will tell,.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,043
    saddo said:

If this is anything close to true, given Labour supporters less than lilly white record with postal votes, they really are in serious brown stuff.
    Surely postal ballots demographics are likely to come up with a Tory bias? I'm thinking the retired and those on foreign jollies with work for a start.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm maxed out.

Defo value !
    For the record, Subiton, I think you're going to be very disappointed how few Labour gains there are from the LibDems - I reckon 8 is the max you can hope for. (Six easy gains, then two of Bradford East, H&WG, Cardiff Central, and Birmingham Yardley.)
  • Options
    edited May 2015

I suspect that the parties report back how many postal ballots they have "procured" to send back themselves. Perhaps they are only just realising that the numbers of fictitious voters they may have allegedly once relied upon are no longer there.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    OK. I read Braehead Shopping Centre and I thought it was in ER. The postcode places it in Paisley and Renfrewshire North
    Dair said:

He was campaigning with Jim Murphy but for some reason they were at Silverburn which isn't in East Ren, it's in Glasgow South West.
  • Options
    FPT

SeanT: Because 1. I don't understand spread betting, and 2. in the time it would take me to master it, I could probably earn £1000 from writing, which I doubt I would win from the bookies.

It's really not that complicated. In this instance, you would SELL the Tories at 288 seats for say £20 per seat. You would then make a profit of £20 for every seat they won short of 288 seats and you'd lose £20 for every seat they won over and above 288 seats, not too difficult a concept to grasp is it really? On your latest assessment of them winning around 273 seats, a bet such as this would earn you circa £300 (i.e. £20 x 288 - 273). Some way below your £1,000 for doing a little writing, but not that taxing surely. The boring bit is spending all of 5 minutes online, opening your account.
    Are you attending the PB.com all-nighter in the Earls Court hostelry btw?
  • Options

When did Labour ever lead on postal votes ? Bollocks !
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534

saddo said:

Surely postal ballots demographics are likely to come up with a Tory bias? I'm thinking the retired and those on foreign jollies with work for a start.
    Almost certainly in actual real voter terms but not with the ways and means Labour's local level machine "influenced" student houses, local communities etc in previous elections.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The thing is this Labour Uncut who are hardly cheerleaders for the reds. If it was labour list and trying a double bluff I'd be more suspicious.
  • Options
    What an endorsement..... well it's better than coming from TPD.

Douglas Carswell ‏@DouglasCarswell·4 secs5 seconds ago
    @MSmithsonPB really is the one man content provider when it comes to polling. The must-follow for this election ....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm maxed out.

Defo value !
    For the record, Subiton, I think you're going to be very disappointed how few Labour gains there are from the LibDems - I reckon 8 is the max you can hope for. (Six easy gains, then two of Bradford East, H&WG, Cardiff Central, and Birmingham Yardley.)
    You appear to be sanguine about Bermondsey or is it part of your six.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,104
    Lord Ashcroft ‏@LordAshcroft 27s27 seconds ago
    @SunPolitics it would be quite surprising if your own poll wasn't EXCLUSIVE!! Lol
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,108
    Probably only the thing Carswell's got right since August 2014

https://twitter.com/DouglasCarswell/status/594560387707772928
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Umm, interesting Labour Uncut piece. It could be reverse psychology but the author has been bearish about Labour for a while and is a serious writer. Although the polls look closer that the Tories would want at this stage they don't seem to be panicking so maybe the postal ballots and the private polling is better for then than the public polls suggest.
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    edited May 2015
    surbiton said:

Can you remember THAT TWEET in the 2010 Election - it was about a massive Labour support in a postal vote count. Game ON!

Of course it could be that the requirement to register in person for postal voting has triply-decimated Labour's creativity in that department.
  • Options
    shortly there will be an election....

Siôn Simon‏@sionsimon·2 hrs2 hours ago
    Last weekend before the election? Must be Hodge Hill rally time pic.twitter.com/q5P17oaGXL

Nick Cohen‏@NickCohen4·26 mins26 minutes ago
    Nick Cohen retweeted Siôn Simon
    Labour candidate addresses sex segregated audience without seeming to know or care

Tom is there too....
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

I'm maxed out.

There'll be no sherry trifle for you after lunch at Mum & Dad's tomorrow. When I had the temerity to suggest several weeks that the LibDems might score as few as 24 seats, I was accused of being a denier (whatever that means).
  • Options

OK. I read Braehead Shopping Centre and I thought it was in ER. The postcode places it in Paisley and Renfrewshire North

Dair said:

Actually you'r right it was Braehead not Silverburn and yeah still not in East Ren.
  • Options
    A well loved figure of this site posts a pic of Mr Harriet Harman attending a sex segretated rally. One might ask where Labour's principles went?

https://twitter.com/sionsimon/status/594537312115159040
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,870
    What on earth is this cartoon? What is the actual joke or humorous content here?
  • Options
    Tonights ComRes EICIPM
  • Options

Tonights ComRes EICIPM

The numbers would be nice.... :p
  • Options
    New Comres poll just partially revealed on @Channel4News - Cons and Lab both on 33 #GE2015

EICIPM
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,993

Tonights ComRes EICIPM

Good luck trying to govern. Next few weeks are going to be interesting..
  • Options

What on earth is this cartoon? What is the actual joke or humorous content here?

Agreed - pretty crap and meaningless.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    valleyboy said:

Chameleon said:

valleyboy said:

GIN1138 said:

valleyboy said:

Hiding behind the sofa?
    What sort of response was your party getting?
    I'm not in cloud cuckoo land and realise that to win Preseli is going to be difficult, but we have a good high profile local candidate. Responses were good, we were working a favourable labour area and we will get more votes than last time, but whether it will be enough, time will tell,.
    Ashcroft polls has massive Labour leads in Cardiff North and Central and a 6 point Tory lead in Vale of Glamorgan in February.
  • Options

A well loved figure of this site posts a pic of Mr Harriet Harman attending a sex segretated rally. One might ask where Labour's principles went?

There's not much Labour won't do to get some votes. Gays please note.
  • Options

New Comres poll just partially revealed on @Channel4News - Cons and Lab both on 33 #GE2015

EICIPM

Who knows, the LDs could be on 33 too. Would EICIPM still hold? :D
  • Options
    surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

surbiton said:

rcs1000 said:

I'm maxed out.

Defo value !
    You appear to be sanguine about Bermondsey or is it part of your six.
    Not one the six. But I think you miss the gentrification in Southwark that will take it permanently out of the labour column eventually.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,898
    edited May 2015

Not just Mr Harriet Harman, Tom Watson, Khalid Mahmood, Liam Byrne, etc.

Equality in action...but hey ho gotta win those votes. What want the audience would make of Mr Harriet Harman internet viewing habits if they knew?
  • Options
    I'd imagine a lot o£f SLAB voters left would be older types so he they are pro ably fine on portals.

@Peter_From_Putney Heading to the Finborough for election... - would be good to see you in your frock ;)
  • Options
    steve_garnersteve_garner Posts: 1,019
    Is the ComRes poll phone or online?
  • Options
    RobD said:

EICIPM

UKIP on 1% SNP 0%!!!
  • Options
    who is the woman? She doesn't look like the Yardley candidate. She's not the Ladywood MP. I guess she must a Cllr or a council candidate

Equality in action...but hey ho gotta win those votes.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'd imagine a lot o£f SLAB voters left would be older types so he they are pro ably fine on portals.

Agreed, if the Labour Uncut thing is a true statement, then Labour being out of it in 20 and even in 20 means they are losing all. I can't think of any scenario where Labour will do better on In Person voting in Scotland than they do on Postal Ballots.
  • Options
    roadto326 ‏@roadto326 2m2 minutes ago
    @TSEofPB ComRes is 33-33 apparently.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    ''If this is anything close to true, given Labour supporters less than lilly white record with postal votes, they really are in serious brown stuff.''

That article should strike fear into the heart of every labour backer, tipster, or pollster calling the election for them. It is further evidence the labour vote score is nowhere near the labour poll score in England. Not even close. Not even close to close.

6/4 on Croydon Central? how about boll*cks.
  • Options

who is the woman? She doesn't look like the Yardley candidate. She's not the Ladywood MP. I guess she must a Cllr or a council candidate

Whoever she is, she is the "special" one that is allowed to sit with the men.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    taffys said:

''If this is anything close to true, given Labour supporters less than lilly white record with postal votes, they really are in serious brown stuff.''

That article should strike fear into the heart of every labour backer, tipster, or pollster calling the election for them. It is further evidence the labour vote score is nowhere near the labour poll score. Not even close. Not even close to close.

6/4 on Crodydon Central? how about boll*cks.

It also indicates that the 1/100 price on Gorgeous George might be premature.

BTW Scotland is NOT using the individual registration for this election, it is using the previous household register.
  • Options
    Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 17s17 seconds ago
    Coming up at 7.30pm - although some have broken the embargo already, is the ComRes phone poll for the IoS/S Mirror.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Now, brothers, we have a very special little lady to talk to you. Please be respectful as she is very nervous, but Clement Attlee bless her for being a brave girl.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    RobD said:

EICIPM

Good for UKIP? Hence no mention? 35 35 7 11 was the last one.

(Boycott complaining about English bowling with the West Indies 107-6!)
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    edited May 2015
    taffys said:

That article should strike fear into the heart of every labour backer, tipster, or pollster calling the election for them. It is further evidence the labour vote score is nowhere near the labour poll score. Not even close. Not even close to close.

Labour vote appears so soft, anti-Labour vote is energised - at least in the South of England. Incidentally, from discussions I've had on doorsteps, this election also seems to be the first where LDs will experience tactical voting against them.

• Options
    Its hardly surprising the pollsters are all desperately reverting to the mean because few of them have a clue what is going to happen.

At least if they fail as a group, its harder for those fools paying them money for results to weed out the bad guys.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

@Peter_From_Putney Heading to the Finborough for election... - would be good to see you in your frock ;)

Sorry to have to disappoint you, but on the frock front I rather fear you are confusing me with a similarly named PBer. That's a crisp oncer you owe the site's Social & Welfare Fund.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    roadto326 ‏@roadto326 36s36 seconds ago
    The last 10 opinion polls. Only one of them (Mori) would see Cameron have a chance of forming a govt.

LAB most seats now 5.1
  • Options
    taffys said:

Its hardly surprising the pollsters are all desperately reverting to the mean because few of them have a clue what is going to happen.

At least if they fail as a group, its harder for those fools paying them money for results to weed out the bad guys.

Only the Good Lord and ICM are forging ahead regardless, lol
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,993
    Have we ever had an election where the two main parties have finished on exactly the same vote share?
  • Options
    Dair said:

taffys said:

It also indicates that the 1/100 price on Gorgeous George might be premature.b

BTW Scotland is NOT using the individual registration for this election, it is using the previous household register.
    I am quietly confident Gorgeous will ha e "got out" the vote. 6-4 Rahman hosed up nicely in the locals
  • Options

taffys said:

Only the Good Lord and ICM and MORI are forging ahead regardless, lol
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Now, brothers, we have a very special little lady to talk to you. Please be respectful as she is very nervous, but Clement Attlee bless her for being a brave girl.
    But is she beach body ready?

I await the huge outrage on twitter to his photo of this Hodge Hill political rally...every day sexism and all that.
  • Options

roadto326 ‏@roadto326 36s36 seconds ago
    The last 10 opinion polls. Only one of them (Mori) would see Cameron have a chance of forming a govt.

LAB most seats still 4.9?

When you factor in the Scottish Losses (say 35) and the Tories having a 50 seat lead Labour need to make 43 gains from the tories AND the difference in Lib Dem Wins - UKIP losses to reach most seats. Pretty unlikely. (but maybe better than 4.9). I would still expect a last minute/ last second swing to the Tories.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

taffys said:

Labour vote appears so soft, anti-Labour vote is energised - at least in the South of England. Incidentally, from discussions I've had on doorsteps, this election also seems to be the first where LDs will experience tactical voting against them.

Such bullshit !
  • Options

I await the huge outrage on twitter to his photo of this Hodge Hill political rally...every day sexism and all that.
    Labour bigotry is honourable bigotry in the Union tradition
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    To avoid the public humiliation of involving real voters who often seem to change their minds, SLAB are resorting to just making names up as supposed authors of letters praising Sanwar. I suppose if you just make people up then at least they can't cause problems down the line:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/neighbours.jpg
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Mortimer said:

taffys said:

Such bullshit !
    One can only laugh at fanatical posters!
  • Options

Coming up at 7.30pm - although some have broken the embargo already, is the ComRes phone poll for the IoS/S Mirror.

Both you and OGH are clearly getting excited at the prospect of the upcoming ComRes poll - I'll take that as indicative of a 3%+ Labour lead then.
  • Options
    But did you THREATEN to overrule him?
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    edited May 2015
    "Labour bigotry is honourable bigotry in the Union tradition."

Labour are good at the three aitches ... hyperbole, hypocrisy, and in picking Ed, hidiocy.
  • Options

taffys said:

Only the Good Lord and ICM and MORI are forging ahead regardless, lol
    I'm a blacksmith and I'm still forging ahead I'll have you know.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    surbiton said:

Mortimer said:

taffys said:

Such bullshit !
    I see punctuation is still troubling you.

I'm not saying all is rosy for the Tories nationwide, but I've literally never seen such negative reactions in the South to Liberals/Labour. I am too young to remember what happens when the left goes all class envy/higher taxes etc, but presumably this was what 83-92 was like.....

• Options
    calum said:

To avoid the public humiliation of involving real voters who often seem to change their minds, SLAB are resorting to just making names up as supposed authors of letters praising Sanwar. I suppose if you just make people up then at least they can't cause problems down the line:

http://wingsoverscotland.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/neighbours.jpg

I had mine hand delivered this afternoon.

It is the first time anything has been hand delivered by SLAB. It also got my area wrong, saying Kinning Park instead of Ibrox.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,108
    People who break an embargo should be forced to read articles about the merits of AV over FPTP for a period of five years.
  • Options
    I was speaking to some Scottish Labour supporters earlier today and they were telling me the atmosphere in Scotland is feverish with pro-union supporters scared of putting their head above the parapet.

• Options
    MP_SEMP_SE Posts: 3,642

Labour cannot be sexist therefore the sex segregated rally is not in the slightest bit sexist.
  • Options

Both you and OGH are clearly getting excited at the prospect of the upcoming ComRes poll - I'll take that as indicative of a 3%+ Labour lead then.
    See my post at 7.12
  • Options

People who break an embargo should be forced to read articles about the merits of AV over FPTP for a period of five years.

Is comedy results out yet ?
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,055
    There is some justification to think that the average final polls will be at least 3% off beam.

The 1992 polls were about 8% wrong- Labour was about 1% ahead, the Tories won by 7%. The 2001 polls were nearly as bad averaging a 16% Labour lead, when actually it was about 9%. The 2005 polls overestimated the Labour lead by 3% too. The 2010 polls overestimated the LD's by 3-4%.

All the contra indications seem to appear that this years polling will likely be wrong en masse to at least the same extent since the variables are more complex.

Engrossing days cricket by the way.
  • Options
    The tories probably aren't panicking because they probably suspect that in England at least, their vote will turn out. They can depend upon it. Nicola has made sure of that.
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Good evening all, Basil has a look of a man who had won the lottery and lost the ticket. Did someone mention there is a Com Res poll coming up. Evening BJo and OGH.

**** Opens bag of popcorn *****
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,969
    edited May 2015
    SMukesh said:

I was speaking to some Scottish Labour supporters earlier today and they were telling me the atmosphere in Scotland is feverish with pro-union supporters scared of putting their head above the parapet.

That's what I'm hearing - on the day I reckon that the SNP will be sub-50% and quite a lot of Unionists will go into the booth and tick Tory while saying that they voted SLAB/SNP (I reckon that it will go toward the Tories for two main reasons - RD's debate performance and that the Conservatives have positioned themselves completely against the SNP)
This discussion has been closed.