Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the day of the royal birth – Marf and the weekend genera

Comments

• Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    MP_SE said:

who is the woman? She doesn't look like the Yardley candidate. She's not the Ladywood MP. I guess she must a Cllr or a council candidate

A well loved figure of this site posts a pic of Mr Harriet Harman attending a sex segretated rally. One might ask where Labour's principles went?

https://twitter.com/sionsimon/status/594537312115159040

Not just Mr Harriet Harman, Tom Watson, Khalid Mahmood, Liam Byrne, etc.

Equality in action...but hey ho gotta win those votes.
    Whoever she is, she is the "special" one that is allowed to sit with the men.
    Now, brothers, we have a very special little lady to talk to you. Please be respectful as she is very nervous, but Clement Attlee bless her for being a brave girl.
    But is she beach body ready?

I await the huge outrage on twitter to his photo of this Hodge Hill political rally...every day sexism and all that.
    Labour cannot be sexist therefore the sex segregated rally is not in the slightest bit sexist.
    Not sexist at all. Labour love everyone and give them free owls. Everyone apart from the working men and women of Britain, whom they are named for. They can't stand them.
  • Options
    AndreaParma_82AndreaParma_82 Posts: 4,714
    I think postal votes favour Lab vs SNP, Lab vs UKIP, Con vs Lab. I don't have an idea how they breakdown with LibDems.

For London mayoral and assembly elections we have breakdown by ward with postal votes recorded separately....

2012 London Assembly constituency

Barnet and Camden
    Postals Lab 40% Con 39%
    On the day voting: Lab 46% Con 29%

Brent and Harrow

Postals Lab 40 COn 33
    On the day Lab 50% Con 26%

Ealing and Hillingdon
    Postals Con 45 Lab 33
    On the day Lab 41 Con 36

Enfield and Haringey
    Postals Lab 44 Con 34
    On the day Lab 53 Con 24

Merton and Wandsworth
    Postals Con 54 Lab 28
    On the day Con 39 Lab 39

City and East (Barking, newham and Tower Hamlets)
    Postals Lab58 Con 18
    On the day Lab 64 Con 13

etch
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,911
    edited May 2015
    tyson said:

There is some justification to think that the average final polls will be at least 3% off beam.

The 1992 polls were about 8% wrong- Labour was about 1% ahead, the Tories won by 7%. The 2001 polls were nearly as bad averaging a 16% Labour lead, when actually it was about 9%. The 2005 polls overestimated the Labour lead by 3% too. The 2010 polls overestimated the LD's by 3-4%.

All the contra indications seem to appear that this years polling will likely be wrong en masse to at least the same extent since the variables are more complex.

Engrossing days cricket by the way.

Many have pointed to reasons for the past inaccuracies and that pollsters now have corrected / adjusted for them. But this is the first GE where there are genuinely 5 parties getting significant % of the vote.

The pollsters might be spot on regardless, but it wouldn't be surprised if they are out (in whose favour I don't know), but we are looking a much more complex picture than previous GE>
  • Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    Can I also just throw in an early......,.. Go Lynton!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,104
    PHONE POLL OUTLIER

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 40s41 seconds ago
    Tonight's ComRes phone poll for IoS/S Mirror has with comparisons on last Tuesday poll
    Con 33% -2
    Lab 33% -2
    LD 8% +1
    UKIP 13% +2
    GN 7% +1

EICIPM
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,108
    Cameron vs Miliband:
    · More than three in five Britons think David Cameron is a capable leader, compared to less than two in five who say the same of Ed Miliband (63% v 38%).

· A fifth of Labour voters (19%) think Ed Miliband is not a capable leader, compared to just 2% of Conservative voters who think the same of David Cameron.

· However, British adults are more than twice as likely to think that David Cameron is heartless, compared to those who say the same of Ed Miliband (32% v 14%).

· In addition, adults in Britain are more likely to think David Cameron is too pleased with himself, compared to Ed Miliband (56% against 45%).
  • Options

Wow wow wow - for so many reasons, not least is this legal? I'm not sure I believe this!!

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/05/02/revealed-eds-night-time-dash-to-casa-brand-driven-by-postal-ballot-panic/#more-19683

Section 66A of the 1983 Act prohibits the publication before the close of poll of any statement relating to the way in which voters have voted at the election where that statement is, or might reasonably be taken to be based on information given by voters after they have voted. Prima facie, that article falls within the prohibition, exposing the author to criminal liability, but it must be doubted whether proceedings would be instituted against him.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
  • Options
    The Uncut piece (but it can be me as I read it fast and I can't appreciate all the finest virtue of English language) is a bit unclear if they are speaking about swings vs postals in 2010 or the row number of postals this year. It makes a lot of difference if it is the former or the latter.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Hmm, depending on tonight's YouGov, might Labour manage to snatch a lead in this week's ELBOW after all?
  • Options
    daodao said:
    This is the website which claimed a while ago that Labour were in danger of losing Ashfield(!!).
  • Options
    LAB most seats 5.1

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 1m1 minute ago
    If it continues this close then LAB looks set to win most seats
  • Options
    weejonnieweejonnie Posts: 3,820
    UKIP highest with Comres since February
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited May 2015

PHONE POLL OUTLIER

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 40s41 seconds ago
    Tonight's ComRes phone poll for IoS/S Mirror has with comparisons on last Tuesday poll
    Con 33% -2
    Lab 33% -2
    LD 8% +1
    UKIP 13% +2
    GN 7% +1

EICIPM

The great polling convergence continues.

Now all pollsters range from CON 32-36 most on 33-34, LAB 30-35 most on 33-34, UKIP 10-17 most on 13-15, LD 7-11 most on 8, GRN 4-8 most on 4-5.
  • Options

People who break an embargo should be forced to read articles about the merits of AV over FPTP for a period of five years.

I suppose it's not worth instituting proceedings over, but the pollsters have a cause of action in equity against those who break an embargo for breach of confidence. On a practical note, however, if the pollsters and their clients want to retain the ability to publish the results exclusively, they should restrict their confidentiality ring to those who they can trust to maintain confidences!
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited May 2015
    tyson said:

There is some justification to think that the average final polls will be at least 3% off beam.

The 1992 polls were about 8% wrong- Labour was about 1% ahead, the Tories won by 7%. The 2001 polls were nearly as bad averaging a 16% Labour lead, when actually it was about 9%. The 2005 polls overestimated the Labour lead by 3% too. The 2010 polls overestimated the LD's by 3-4%.

All the contra indications seem to appear that this years polling will likely be wrong en masse to at least the same extent since the variables are more complex.

Engrossing days cricket by the way.

But we keep being told, not least by OGH, that polling is now far more accurate as a result of more sophisticated methodology.
    Notwithstanding that some firms are STILL changing their methodology, even at this very late stage the so-called ultra accurate polls are still up to 7% apart in terms of the 2 main parties' headline share of the vote.
    The mega shock of Major winning in 1992 couldn't possibly ever happen again we are told ..... well we shall find out soon enough.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Latest UKIP support

14 - Yougov
    14 - Comres
    16 - Survation
    15 - Populus
    17 - Panelbase
    10 - Ipsos Mori
    14 - BMG
    15 - TNS
    11 - Lord Ashcroft
    13 - ICM
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

I think postal votes favour Lab vs SNP, Lab vs UKIP, Con vs Lab. I don't have an idea how they breakdown with LibDems.

For London mayoral and assembly elections we have breakdown by ward with postal votes recorded separately....

Barnet and Camden
    Postals Lab 40% Con 39%

Brent and Harrow

Postals Lab 40 COn 33

Ealing and Hillingdon
    Postals Con 45 Lab 33
    On the day Lab 41 Con 36

Enfield and Haringey
    Postals Lab 44 Con 34
    On the day Lab 53 Con 24

Merton and Wandsworth
    Postals Con 54 Lab 28
    On the day Con 39 Lab 39

Postals Lab58 Con 18
    On the day Lab 64 Con 13

etch

Exactly ! Labour vote goes in on the day. In fact, in the evening after tea ! That is why it is a high risk window regarding weather. [ and Coronation Street ! ]
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2015
    Evening all.

Re: ComRes poll - has there been any last minute tweakage? - I hear it's all the rage :lol:
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Ouch that capable leader results looks like a killer
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The advert of the Birmimghan Rally

http://pbs.twimg.com/media/CEAJnYWWoAE4GpW.jpg:large
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    Is Morris Dancer about and has he seen this ?? Apologies if already posted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-32556930
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Have we ever had an election where the two main parties have finished on exactly the same vote share?

Feb 1974, 1951 and 1929 were all within a point...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    weejonnie said:

Latest UKIP support

14 - Yougov
    14 - Comres
    16 - Survation
    15 - Populus
    17 - Panelbase
    10 - Ipsos Mori
    14 - BMG
    15 - TNS
    11 - Lord Ashcroft
    13 - ICM

Average 14%, close to the 16% they need to start winning seats without local factors.
    The range is closing in on the average now, gone are the days were ICM & Mori showed ukip on half the levels or less of Survation & TNS.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,977
    Most important development of the day. Pulis does it again. Who would have thought a win at Old Trafford would be the baggies' passport to premier league next year!
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,147

Wow wow wow - for so many reasons, not least is this legal? I'm not sure I believe this!!

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/05/02/revealed-eds-night-time-dash-to-casa-brand-driven-by-postal-ballot-panic/#more-19683

Section 66A of the 1983 Act prohibits the publication before the close of poll of any statement relating to the way in which voters have voted at the election where that statement is, or might reasonably be taken to be based on information given by voters after they have voted. Prima facie, that article falls within the prohibition, exposing the author to criminal liability, but it must be doubted whether proceedings would be instituted against him.
    All it takes is a complaint...
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Brand will endorse Miliband on Monday, I suspect.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Cameron can be happy on the capable leader score, but tbh neither leader can take overall comfort from those scores - Cameron trails behind MIliband on, quite significantly the problems facing Britain. It'll be interesting to see what YouGov say tonight, if it's in the realm of any Lab lead to a 1% Tory lead, then it looks like going into the last part of the campaign, Labour may well have a good chance at having the most seats. Given how badly it's been reported Miliband did in the QT debate, Lab will be relieved that (so far) the Tories have not pulled away significantly, and that it might not have been a game-changer.
  • Options
    IOSIOS Posts: 1,450
    I can see UKIP polling 17% - although I think 13% which would be an incredible result for them. But for the life of me I cannot see the Greens polling 7%.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,118
    The Ukip 15-20% range must be value at 10-3?
  • Options
    RobD said:

All it takes is a complaint...

Recent events in Tower Hamlets appear to show that the police now consider the Representation of the People Act 1983 a voluntary code to be followed should a candidate so choose, rather than the law of the land to be enforced.
  • Options

LAB most seats 5.1

But wait, only this morning JackW had the Tories ahead of Labour by 59, that's FIFTY NINE seats, 306 vs 247. One of the two is going to be so deliciously and humilitatingly wrong (please don't them both be equally wrong, that would just be too boring)
  • Options
    chestnut said:

Why would anyone seek the endorsement of such a dangerous narcissist?
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    surbiton said:

Barnet and Camden
    Postals Lab 40% Con 39%

Brent and Harrow

Postals Lab 40 COn 33

Ealing and Hillingdon
    Postals Con 45 Lab 33
    On the day Lab 41 Con 36

Enfield and Haringey
    Postals Lab 44 Con 34
    On the day Lab 53 Con 24

Merton and Wandsworth
    Postals Con 54 Lab 28
    On the day Con 39 Lab 39

Postals Lab58 Con 18
    On the day Lab 64 Con 13

etch

Exactly ! Labour vote goes in on the day. In fact, in the evening after tea ! That is why it is a high risk window regarding weather. [ and Coronation Street ! ]
    Corrie mon, wed, fri.

• Options
    edited May 2015
    Speedy said:

weejonnie said:

Latest UKIP support

14 - Yougov
    14 - Comres
    16 - Survation
    15 - Populus
    17 - Panelbase
    10 - Ipsos Mori
    14 - BMG
    15 - TNS
    11 - Lord Ashcroft
    13 - ICM

Average 14%, close to the 16% they need to start winning seats without local factors.
    The range is closing in on the average now, gone are the days were ICM & Mori showed ukip on half the levels or less of Survation & TNS.
    Standard deviation is 2.13 - which gives a 17% chance that they are at that level (of course it also gives a 17% chance that they are on 11.8%) - assuming a normal distribution (risky with such differences in methodology). If you take out IPSOS Mori then the average goes up to 14.3 - but the standard deviation drops to 1.7 - virtually giving you the same answer (upwards).
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

chestnut said:

That should be worth another 2 or 3 seats for the Tories.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I backed Labour most seats at 5 today. I don't think it will happen, but it isn't a 4/1 shot.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

chestnut said:

That should be worth another 2 or 3 seats for the Tories.
    In a sensible world, it would be 20-30.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

chestnut said:

Desperation?

The Labour Uncut article implies that Ed's motives are driven by the need for votes, while Brand has said that the best bit of his Miliband interview was saved and will be released on Monday.

• Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    daodao said:
    if there is any truth in this article then we could be looking at 1992 again and a lot of egg on pollsters faces
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,972
    The Ronnie o Sullivan thing is very nicely done.
  • Options
    isam said:

Not yet, if they move up a bit further on the average in the last days then yes.

Not many days of campaigning left, the royal baby is sucking all the publicity from the GE, that and voter fatigue maybe a plus for protest parties which UKIP is one of them, also there is the danger that Tory voters seeing that it's over and Miliband will become PM might vote UKIP as a protest.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,055
    Talk about juxtaposition Bob Willis; he was the most exciting bowler in the world in his prime, steaming in, terrifying batters; but by god he is the most boring commentator known to man. I'm going to try and get one of his recordings to help solve my occasional insomnia.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

LAB most seats 5.1

But wait, only this morning JackW had the Tories ahead of Labour by 59, that's FIFTY NINE seats, 306 vs 247. One of the two is going to be so deliciously and humilitatingly wrong (please don't them both be equally wrong, that would just be too boring)
    Ssshhh .... I've kept it to myself and now you keep it to yourself too .... but ....

Ed Miliband Will Never Be Prime Minister

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,678
    Speedy said:

isam said:

Not yet, if they move up a bit further on the average in the last days then yes.

Not many days of campaigning left, the royal baby is sucking all the publicity from the GE, that and voter fatigue maybe a plus for protest parties which UKIP is one of them, also there is the danger that Tory voters seeing that it's over and Miliband will become PM might vote UKIP as a protest.
    This election is far from over for David Cameron and it looks as if the present coalition may well continue which I would suggest would be the most popular result
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,338
    SeanT said:

daodao said:
    That's a fairly startling article. Who is this guy? Can he be trusted?

I did wonder about the Brand thing, it looked so risky, and it told me - as I said at the time, on here - that it could only be the action of a party that feared it was losing.

Seems I was right, if that article is in any way correct.

But is it? Hmm. Curioser, and, yes, curioser. OK I'm off to buy a big fat steak and then drink a big fat red to go with.
    Of course, he may be running a hare using your idea stated at the time.

If it is true though, it presages an epic failure of polling....
  • Options
    edited May 2015

People who break an embargo should be forced to read articles about the merits of AV over FPTP for a period of five years.

I suppose it's not worth instituting proceedings over, but the pollsters have a cause of action in equity against those who break an embargo for breach of confidence. On a practical note, however, if the pollsters and their clients want to retain the ability to publish the results exclusively, they should restrict their confidentiality ring to those who they can trust to maintain confidences!
    That would be terrible idea.

Because I know one day, I'm going to accidentally break an embargo due to premature posting.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

chestnut said:

I'll give you a clue, the LAB-CON gap on 18-24 year olds is less than 10% in the opinion polls, that is because 20-25% vote Other, of course certainty to vote is 20-25% lower too from those 65+ of age.

In total if he manages to get half of those voting Other or even increasing their voter participation by a little, nets about 1-2% to the Labour score.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Speedy said:

isam said:

On those figures then UKIP would have to be z= 0.516 of a standard deviation above the average. Looking at the figures - this gives N(z) = 0.1985 so there is a 30% chance of UKIP polling over 15%

(= 0.5 - N(z))
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    edited May 2015
    ''if there is any truth in this article then we could be looking at 1992 again and a lot of egg on pollsters faces.''

See how they are all reverting to the mean like a bunch of children? They know they don;t have a clue and how its better to be wrong as a group so that no-one can get singled out.

I've been posting this for months but nobody listens. Labour's vote, with ed at the helm, does not add up to its poll score. Its either short or alarmingly short. This isn't conjecture, its fact.

Look at the euros. The polls and the commentariat had labour romping home. Then suddenly they were a good second. Then they only just beat the tories at an election where the voters were at liberty to protest at will.

It was a dreadful result. Then we had the excuses industry.
  • Options
    Jack has seriously lost the plot when it comes to the number of Tory seats.

Think about it rationally - if Labour were going to make so few gains of the Tories it would have leaked by now.
  • Options
    I did also wonder about Mr Palmer of this parish, when he said the other day he would be relaxed about his fate, "win or lose". It was the first time he had publically acknowledged that failure was a potential outcome.

Things that make you go " hmmmmmmm...."
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

surbiton said:

Barnet and Camden
    Postals Lab 40% Con 39%

Brent and Harrow

Postals Lab 40 COn 33

Ealing and Hillingdon
    Postals Con 45 Lab 33
    On the day Lab 41 Con 36

Enfield and Haringey
    Postals Lab 44 Con 34
    On the day Lab 53 Con 24

Merton and Wandsworth
    Postals Con 54 Lab 28
    On the day Con 39 Lab 39

Postals Lab58 Con 18
    On the day Lab 64 Con 13

etch

Corrie mon, wed, fri.

I am talking about many moons ago ! '80s.
  • Options
    JackW said:

LAB most seats 5.1

Ssshhh .... I've kept it to myself and now you keep it to yourself too .... but ....

Jack old boy, I don't know if you saw my post earlier, but I have already instructed my solicitor to seek compensation if your illustrious cheeks are misleading since I have gambled the greater part of my inheritance on your fine posteriors predictions.
  • Options
    Hills showing Dcipm/Eicipm crossover, both 10/11. Looks like great value on Eicipm to me.
  • Options
    If it is true though, it presages an epic failure of polling....

Look at Ashcroft's first poll of H&M. Look at how labour was pumped up as a serious challenge at Newark initially and were then wiped off the park with a disastrous result.

Why should the pollsters being getting it any more right now?
  • Options
    Looking at the Com Res polling on most capable leader DC at 63, EM at 38 and heartless DC at 32 and EM at 14 ii is not completely surprising because a capable leader has to take hard decisions and when considering this, the two percentages are entirely predictable
  • Options
    taffys said:

''if there is any truth in this article then we could be looking at 1992 again and a lot of egg on pollsters faces.''

See how they are all reverting to the mean like a bunch of children? They know they don;t have a clue and how its better to be wrong as a group so that no-one can get singled out.

I've been posting this for months but nobody listens. Labour's vote, with ed at the helm, does not add up to its poll score. Its either short or alarmingly short. This isn't conjecture, its fact.

Look at the euros. The polls and the commentariat had labour romping home. Then suddenly they were a good second. Then they only just beat the tories at an election where the voters were at liberty to protest at will.

I would like to hear similar anecdotes from the tory side WRT postal votes, but it does seem to tally with the general zeitgeist that you pick up in everyday conversations
  • Options
    IOS said:

Think about it rationally - if Labour were going to make so few gains of the Tories it would have leaked by now.

It just has!
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    antifrank said:

I backed Labour most seats at 5 today. I don't think it will happen, but it isn't a 4/1 shot.

I'm on Labour Most Seats and a Tory Majority! The outcome is is serious doubt, given the divergence of opinion amongst pollsters. And the central seat bands being backed down to evens is ludicrous.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    ComRes: Con 33.2 Lab 32.6

The kindness of rounding.

LD Splitters: 22% Lab 18% Con
  • Options
    IOS said:

Like the Labour List post above?
  • Options
    IOS said:

it has: http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2015/05/02/revealed-eds-night-time-dash-to-casa-brand-driven-by-postal-ballot-panic
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    surbiton said:

When did Labour ever lead on postal votes ? Bollocks !

In the European Parliament elections of 2004 there was an experiment whereby four regions had all postal voting and the rest of the country had normal arrangements.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2004_(United_Kingdom)
    Although turnout in those regions was higher, the results were almost exactly in line with what was expected when compared with the non-all postal regions.
    Slim evidence I know but it could be that the rise in the use of postal voting has little or no effect on election results as a whole.
  • Options

Speedy said:

isam said:

This election is far from over for David Cameron and it looks as if the present coalition may well continue which I would suggest would be the most popular result
    You got another 4 days of campaigning max.
    I don't think the coalition has the seats necessary to continue, it will lose 20 seats to the left block just from the LD, and with the LD refusing to enter a coalition with the DUP or UKIP I think it's curtains.
  • Options

Have you seen the betting markets mate? labour most seats at 5.1 - as Mr Owls pointed out.

These markets are at these prices for a reason. People think the polls are bullsh8t. They have for months.
  • Options
    Philip

If you believe Labour list you know nothing about the party! Come on - you think if the senior party members knew Labour was doomed they wouldn't already be preparing their leadership challenges!
  • Options
    Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 19m19 minutes ago
    @anthonypainter @AlbertoNardelli @MSmithsonPB @antonmccoy If Labour win most seats I'll streak everywhere for ever...

Anthony Wells ‏@anthonyjwells 2m2 minutes ago
    @DPJHodges @anthonypainter Dan, you're so ready to threaten to streak I sometimes reckon you're just looking for an excuse to streak ;)
  • Options
    ItwasriggedItwasrigged Posts: 154

Dont believe it but who knows what the Necromancer McTernan has been doing.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

LAB most seats 5.1

Peter-I've always made money on Jack's predictions, and am backing him again.
    The winnings will of course mitigate the disappointment from the nights results. And, if I lose, heck- we get a Labour Govt.
    BTW- I have never lost money on an election from memory- I have always come out on balance in profit. If Ed is PM next week, it'll be the first time I will lose.
    And I have precisely 2-3 hours left before finalising my positions.

• Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,972

I did also wonder about Mr Palmer of this parish, when he said the other day he would be relaxed about his fate, "win or lose". It was the first time he had publically acknowledged that failure was a potential outcome.

Yeah, when he posted that I did stop and give it a moment of thought.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Dan Hodges ‏@DPJHodges 19m19 minutes ago
    @anthonypainter @AlbertoNardelli @MSmithsonPB @antonmccoy If Labour win most seats I'll streak everywhere for ever...

Anthony Wells ‏@anthonyjwells 2m2 minutes ago
    @DPJHodges @anthonypainter Dan, you're so ready to threaten to streak I sometimes reckon you're just looking for an excuse to streak ;)

So there is a 50-50 chance of Dan Hodges breaking his promise to streak in public again.
  • Options
    IOS said:

My dear fellow I think you'll find the majority of our fellow citizens have yet to exercise their franchise .... to ensure that :

• Options

Looking at the Com Res polling on most capable leader DC at 63, EM at 38 and heartless DC at 32 and EM at 14 ii is not completely surprising because a capable leader has to take hard decisions and when considering this, the two percentages are entirely predictable

What's surprising is that the proportion who think DC is capable is over double the Tory score. But the proportion who think he's heartless is less than the Labour score.

• Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

isam said:

I don't think the coalition has the seats necessary to continue, it will lose 20 seats to the left block just from the LD, and with the LD refusing to enter a coalition with the DUP or UKIP I think it's curtains.
    I absolutely do not accept it is all over - almost anything is possible other than a labour majority
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Tbh LabourUncut have been consistently pursuing a negative Labour narrative in any way they possibly can in the last five years or so. They may well be right, but I'll wait till Thursday 8th May before I believe it. I sincerely doubt that Miliband visited Russell Brand to do an interview, which will be primarily seen and viewed by a young demographic, to save his situation in marginals, where older, more likely to vote groups are going to be key.
  • Options
    DeClare said:

surbiton said:

When did Labour ever lead on postal votes ? Bollocks !

In the European Parliament elections of 2004 there was an experiment whereby four regions had all postal voting and the rest of the country had normal arrangements.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Parliament_election,_2004_(United_Kingdom)
    Although turnout in those regions was higher, the results were almost exactly in line with what was expected when compared with the non-all postal regions.
    Slim evidence I know but it could be that the rise in the use of postal voting has little or no effect on election results as a whole.
    It has an effect on voter fraud.
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483

Cameron vs Miliband:
    · More than three in five Britons think David Cameron is a capable leader, compared to less than two in five who say the same of Ed Miliband (63% v 38%).

· A fifth of Labour voters (19%) think Ed Miliband is not a capable leader, compared to just 2% of Conservative voters who think the same of David Cameron.

· However, British adults are more than twice as likely to think that David Cameron is heartless, compared to those who say the same of Ed Miliband (32% v 14%).

· In addition, adults in Britain are more likely to think David Cameron is too pleased with himself, compared to Ed Miliband (56% against 45%).

Better to be governed by the heartless than the clueless I suppose given that my party UKIP has no hope of actually winning it.
  • Options
    Jack W

Interesting analysis - so you don't believe you can extrapolate from one type of vote to another....
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,781
    JIMMY!!

Sorry. Carry on.
  • Options

antifrank said:

I'm on Labour Most Seats and a Tory Majority! The outcome is is serious doubt, given the divergence of opinion amongst pollsters. And the central seat bands being backed down to evens is ludicrous.
    Nobody knows anything. That's the secret for betting on this election. The bets I have that worry me most reflect conventional wisdom.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,037
    edited May 2015
    ComRes is quite an old poll now, 28-30 April (Tues-Thurs) http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2015/05/02/comres-poll-labour-and-conservatives-tied/. Can't tell with the Opinium poll as the Observer article doesn't give the fieldwork dates, but if it's the same as last week's it will be Tues-Fri, In comparison, YouGov will be bang up to date: Fri-Sat.
  • Options
    enfantenfant Posts: 34
    It's not Labour list,it's Labour uncut.
    This guy is even more upset that D M did not win than DH.
    They have both spent the last 5 years trying to undermine Ed.
    Ignore this article,it is just nonsense.
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Even I think Labour are gaining Broxtowe, and I'm predicting the Tories to get 300+ seats.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,855
    Still a dead heat? Gods, either the polls or the public are really boring.
  • Options
    Dan Hodges is finding a unique way of getting the Conservative vote out.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,972
    edited May 2015
    taffys said:

For this election I've been bearing in mind the pollsters' performances (in the last week) at the EP as well. They generally showed Labour being ahead of the Tories by 4 or 7 percent, this translated to a 1.3% lead. Interestingly the difference was made up by both underestimating Con and overestimating Lab.

(If one of the reasons for that was the Ed effect - then it could be much bigger in an election where people are actually electing Ed.)
  • Options
    enfant said:

The Scottish bit was curious.
  • Options

ComRes is quite an old poll now, 28-30 April (Tues-Thurs) http://blogs.independent.co.uk/2015/05/02/comres-poll-labour-and-conservatives-tied/. Can't tell with the Opinium poll as the Observer article doesn't give the fieldwork dates, but if it's the same as last week's it will be Tues-Fri, I(n comparison, YouGov will be bang up to date: Fri-Sat.

The opinium fieldework was also the 28th to the 30th of April
  • Options
    edited May 2015

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

isam said:

I absolutely do not accept it is all over - almost anything is possible other than a labour majority
    Without scotland, Labour needs to be 5% ahead for a majority.
    The Tories need to be 10% ahead for a majority.

For the coalition to have a majority the Tories need to be 7% ahead.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Labour Uncut has had articles negative articles before, but it has also had upbeat articles.

However, Hatwal alleges that resources are being switched to Scotland,

"The opinion polls deal with Scotland as a whole where the huge reserves of SNP support in places like Glasgow deliver blow-out figures that suggest almost every Labour MP will lose their seat. However on a constituency basis, the distribution of support is much more even and Labour is competitive in seats that the polls suggest are lost. According to the postal ballot reports, over half of Labour’s seats are genuinely winnable.

This is why so many Labour resources have been moved north of the border and the party has pivoted its campaign towards Scotland.”

So, some clue as to whether the article has a basis in reality might be to decide whether this claim is correct.

Over to our Scottish posters -- has there really been an upsurge in Labour resources north of the border in recent days?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,972
    It's worth looking up the PB thread immediately following the 2010 exit poll if you want to see the true value of conventional wisdom.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,147
    antifrank said:

enfant said:

The Scottish bit was curious.
    Focussing on Scotland will just make it easier for the Tories in England.
  • Options
    tyson said:

JackW said:

LAB most seats 5.1

Jack old boy, I don't know if you saw my post earlier, but I have already instructed my solicitor to seek compensation if your illustrious cheeks are misleading since I have gambled the greater part of my inheritance on your fine posteriors predictions.
    Regrettably I've left my PB duties to dine in town and thus I escaped the machinations of OGH's fine organ but rest assured your advocates bill for May will be minimal.

• Options
    Speedy said:

Speedy said:

Speedy said:

isam said:

Without scotland, Labour needs to be 5% ahead for a majority.
    The Tories need to be 10% ahead for a majority.

For the coalition to have a majority the Tories need to be 7% ahead.
    Labour will not get a majority
  • Options
    The best for forecasting the Con-Lab gap at the Euros were ICM.

This discussion has been closed.