Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Saturday night polling news starts to come out and it d

Comments

• Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    This sums the night:

Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB · 26m 26 minutes ago
    Even though views of EdM are negative most recent polls have LAB leads some up of up to 4%. On the face of it CON should be most worried.

And with that goodnight.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900

What we need is a Labour to UKIP defector!

Danczuk please.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited November 2014

Speedy said:

peterbuss said:

My belief is that there are a significant number of senior Labour MP's who literally do not think Ed.M is actually up to the job of PM. he would be lime a rabbit caught in the headlights. Its not really about him being seen as weird but the great problem he has on reaching a decision. For example when he was Sec of State for Environment he drove his top civil servants mad with this problem. In the end it was the conviction that IDS wasn't up to the job of leading us Blues that cost him his job.
    These polls are not great at all for the Conservatives but its not their Leader who is dragging the numbers down. However we may well find that Labour will keep their useless Leader but the Tories will assassinate their good one!. The assassins will be led by David Davis who has a final very slim window of opportunity to become Leader and that is immediately post Rochester. How he must (and the rest of the plotters) be praying for a Ukip win. How as a longstanding member of the Conservative Party, I loathe these people with their wretched shenanigans.

Well said, Peter.

Labour may win despite their Leader. Tories may lose in spite of theirs. Both Parties cutting a poor impression. Farage prospering without doing a thing.

Wtf is it going to be like after Rochester?
    We might have Survation showing the Tories in third place, as for ousting Cameron the chances are 2/1.
    Yes, I would say it's odds on at least one poll putting UKIP ahead of Con before the end of the year.

Shame there's no market on it.
    Peter - how odds-on are you proposing for say a £50 bet between us?

A couple of weeks ago, you cryptically referred to there being "reasons" for the Postie not entering any Labour leadership race - care to elaborate, cryptically of course?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @loveandgarbage: Why are some political bods tweeting "we backed" as If they were punters tearing up their betting slips?
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    edited November 2014
    @TSE Type in Tristam Hunt on Twitter, and enjoy the insults. They are worse than anything you have written on Reckless.
  • Options

Odds on both Milliband and Cameron gone before the GE? For all the excitement over the bazillion labour MPs stabbing Milliband, we already have reports of over a score of letters deposited with the 1922 calling for a leadership contest, and the Rochester by election was supposed to be the Tories punishing UKIP and showing who's boss.....

Out of curiosity have we had any Rochester canvassing anecdotes other than anothernick's (Lab) earlier this week ?
    Yes, did you not see Jake Rees-Mogg and son campaigning in Rochester & Strood

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11213086/Rochester-and-Strood-by-election-Conservative-Jacob-Rees-Mogg-and-son-take-the-fight-to-Ukip.html
    Did he take his nanny and Rolls-Royce this time ?

I meant PB anecdotes from Rochester.
  • Options

peterbuss said:

My belief is that there are a significant number of senior Labour MP's who literally do not think Ed.M is actually up to the job of PM. he would be lime a rabbit caught in the headlights. Its not really about him being seen as weird but the great problem he has on reaching a decision. For example when he was Sec of State for Environment he drove his top civil servants mad with this problem. In the end it was the conviction that IDS wasn't up to the job of leading us Blues that cost him his job.
    These polls are not great at all for the Conservatives but its not their Leader who is dragging the numbers down. However we may well find that Labour will keep their useless Leader but the Tories will assassinate their good one!. The assassins will be led by David Davis who has a final very slim window of opportunity to become Leader and that is immediately post Rochester. How he must (and the rest of the plotters) be praying for a Ukip win. How as a longstanding member of the Conservative Party, I loathe these people with their wretched shenanigans.

Well said, Peter.

Labour may win despite their Leader. Tories may lose in spite of theirs. Both Parties cutting a poor impression. Farage prospering without doing a thing.

Funny old world.
  • Options
    So on balance, all we can really deduce from tonite's polls is much the same as we've been deducing for a while - no comfort for any Party, except perhaps UKIP.

I can sleep on that, and I think I will.

Nite all.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

There may even be a poll putting UKIP in first place. It would be something like 28/27/27.

That could be dangerous, Andy. I might split my sides laughing.
    Indeed. Because in the real world that's not Danczuk deploying chaff to make him look like 20 shadow ministers, we had the embarrassing farce of Cameron saying "WE WON'T PAY" and Osborne paying anyway but saying "I won a rebate" and the rest of Europe and the treasury saying"no you didn't".

Labour under attack from the media. Tories under attack from maths. Farage must be wetting himself

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

AndyJS said:

Speedy said:

peterbuss said:

Well said, Peter.

We might have Survation showing the Tories in third place, as for ousting Cameron the chances are 2/1.
    Yes, I would say it's odds on at least one poll putting UKIP ahead of Con before the end of the year.

Shame there's no market on it.
    There may even be a poll putting UKIP in first place. It would be something like 28/27/27.
    That could be dangerous, Andy. I might split my sides laughing.
    Could happen if UKIP win a crushing victory in Rochester.
  • Options

David Davis is on a par with a traitorous pig dog.

He's written a piece on the Sunday Times.

THERESA MAY, the home secretary, has been accused of making “blood-curdling” and “patently untrue” claims about the dangers posed by opting out of the European arrest warrant ahead of a crunch Commons vote.

Writing in The Sunday Times, David Davis, a former Tory backbencher, challenged May over her warnings that Britain would become a safe haven for European criminals should MPs vote against the controversial warrant tomorrow. His comments reflect the anger of Eurosceptic Tory backbenchers at the tone of a robust lobbying campaign by May and Downing Street, which is aimed at containing a backbench rebellion.

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/article1481514.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2014_11_08

Former Tory backbencher? This is the member for Haltemprice & Harpenden, right? Is he in a party of his own now?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

@TSE Type in Tristam Hunt on Twitter, and enjoy the insults. They are worse than anything you have written on Reckless.

I've been very polite and restrained when describing Mark Reckless, I merely quoted Tory MPs and Dave on Reckless.

I absolutely took no pleasure in doing a thread header which quoted a Tory MP saying

Tory MP to BuzzFeed on Mark Reckless defecting: "I can't say the word c**t but he's a f**king c**t who deserves a hot poker up his arse."

No pleasure at all.

Honest
  • Options
    Hunt tweets

Tristram Hunt ‏@TristramHuntMP 26s27 seconds ago

@joeyjonessky This is nonsense. As I said on Friday, Ed is right man to lead Labour & country. He has set the terms of UK political debate.
  • Options
    Tristram Hunt ‏@TristramHuntMP 1m1 minute ago
    @joeyjonessky This is nonsense. As I said on Friday, Ed is right man to lead Labour & country. He has set the terms of UK political debate.

Thumbscrews applied
  • Options
    " Survation/MoS testing voting intentions with different LAB leaders.
    Cooper comes off worse - Johnson & Umuna best "

I wonder how many thought they were being asked about Obama as Labour leader ?
  • Options
    Tristram Hunt quotes are from "private conversations with senior Labour colleagues." Somebody has done the Nick Palmer on him.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

I wonder how many thought Boris Johnson?

• Options
    FlightpathFlightpath Posts: 4,012
    I thought the notion was Ed would be out of the headlines for the next few days.

Danczuk please.
    Mrs Danczuk would fit in to UKIP. Self publicity being her forte.
  • Options

They showed them videos of them all, so they knew who them were being asked about
  • Options

Hunt tweets

Interesting that the tweet does not in fact contradict the Mail story in any way...
  • Options
    Waits for the headline 256 current LAB MPs call on Ed is crap to quit a prominent North Western LAB MP with a stunning wife told us today
  • Options
    Cameron and Osborne have badly mishandled Rochester, the EU Bill and the EAW. I was a firm Conservative voter for GE2015 but I am very angry about their handling of the EU Bill. And, far worse, the spinning. I feel taken for a fool and am for the first time starting to reconsider my vote.

This may cost them severely over the coming weeks.
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    Labour lining up on the side of big business over the EU; BBC News.

• Options

They showed them videos of them all, so they knew who them were being asked about
    Why aren't you suing the Mail stuff follows that tweet.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

Papers - Leaders are crap and should go (as it is exciting and helps sell papers...we hope)
    kle4 said:

Moses_ said:

Sooooooo.... Summing up.

Left wing paper - Ed is crap and should go
    Right wing paper - Dave is crap and should go

Errr..ummm.. Mmmmm.

Papers - Leaders are crap and should go (as it is exciting and helps sell papers...we hope)
    I am shocked shocked I tell you at your cynical attitude to our wonderful national press.
  • Options
    BBC News shouting Ed's message of Pro-EU from the roof tops. Anybody think it is a vote winner for Ed?
  • Options

I thought the notion was Ed would be out of the headlines for the next few days.

It was. Hence the second phase of the attack. Heil on Sunday front page breaks shocking news that Hunt stabs Ed, except that he'd already declared loyalty and has reiterated this tonight. Its a literal non-story, made up, spurious.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048

Would make things very interesting indeed. At the moment the Labour calculation they will suffer but less than the Tories is definitely holding true, it'd be nice to see them really panicking that they might be under just as much threat.
  • Options

There would still be plenty who thought that Umuna was Obama.

• Options
    Scotland On Sunday has story which links 'political & legal establishment' with 'historical abuse in children's homes'.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Ed Balls hasn't been tweeting today for some reason.

likewise his wife.
  • Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915
    Evening all and on thread I often wonder why the media accepts without question the numbers from pollsters with a reputation for inaccuracy.
  • Options

It's very unlikely IMO, simply because of the tribal hatred that a defecting Labour MP would face from loyalists in their constituency.
  • Options
    How can the BBC news at 11pm not even mention Ed and his woes given the press emerging minute by minute. Serously behind the plot or is it a weak attempt to keep the EU story going? Mmmmmmm
  • Options
    MoS story is total nonsense. As I made clear in a full media round on Friday, Ed Miliband is the right person to lead Labour and Britain. - @tristramhunt
  • Options
    impartial said:

How can the BBC news at 11pm not even mention Ed and his woes given the press emerging minute by minute. Serously behind the plot or is it a weak attempt to keep the EU story going? Mmmmmmm

The Sky press preview covered it. In detail.
  • Options
    Sky News:

"Ed Miliband's leadership was plunged into fresh crisis after reports that 20 shadow ministers are poised to call on him to quit.

Senior figures are ready to strike if former home secretary Alan Johnson signals he is prepared to step into the breach, according to The Observer.

The number of Labour MPs prepared to act has "reached a critical mass" but they want a coronation rather than a difficult leadership contest.

A senior figure told The Observer: "There are 20 frontbenchers who are actively considering what is best to do. They are from all areas of the party, bar the hard left."

I just don't see it myself - but if it's going to happen, it'll surely happen soon.
  • Options
    Damian Lyons Lowe ‏@DamianSurvation

Yes, we *really* did have 1020 people watch videos of Labour MPs -What difference would changing their leader make? http://eepurl.com/7WlwD
  • Options
    manofkent2014manofkent2014 Posts: 1,543
    edited November 2014
    From the detail

If there were an EU referendum tomorrow how would you vote

Out 54.2%
    In 30.7%

And on Monday Miliband is going to declare his commitment to the EU. Good timing Mr. Ed!

PS All regions now voting to leave!
  • Options
    impartial said:

How do you think? It matters not a jot to those BBC lefties that Sky are actually LEADING on this story!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Hunt tweets

Interesting that the tweet does not in fact contradict the Mail story in any way...
    Other that it does

MoS story is total nonsense. As I made clear in a full media round on Friday, Ed Miliband is the right person to lead Labour and Britain. - @tristramhunt

What part of the story is total nonsense do you think doesnt contradict the story FFS
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    dr_spyn said:

Scotland On Sunday has story which links 'political & legal establishment' with 'historical abuse in children's homes'.

Sunday Mirror names a top spook...
  • Options
    bigjohnowls doing a half decent impersonation of King Canute tonight.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Hunt tweets

Other that it does

What part of the story is total nonsense do you think doesnt contradict the story FFS
    Ho ho.

Lord Ashcroft has chimed in

https://twitter.com/LordAshcroft/status/531221718162223104
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913

Damian Lyons Lowe ‏@DamianSurvation

Yes, we *really* did have 1020 people watch videos of Labour MPs -What difference would changing their leader make? http://eepurl.com/7WlwD

Interesting the AJ clip has fewer than a 1000 views on Youtube
  • Options
    @LordAshcroft: I agree with @TristramHuntMP: Mail on Sunday story is total nonsense. Ed Miliband is the right person to lead Labour and Britain. Pls RT
  • Options
    Just how can my near namesake decide to go to bed amidst this exciting news and just when he could have taken me up on a £50 bet on whether or not UKIP will achieve a poll lead over the Tories this year as well as telling us exactly (well perhaps not EXACTLY) why Alan Johnson will never be Labour Party leader.
    PtP is a party pooper, that's what I say!
  • Options
    The Mail story is a blatant lie. The Observer story is so vastly inflated in numbers as to fail the sniff test. Yes there is disquiet. Yes Danczuk is a scab. But a Labour party out to stab Ed in the back? Only non the script the press decided to write.
  • Options

With the a & e superfluous ..
  • Options
    YouGov/Sunday Times

Today’s poll shows Labour and the Tories level on 33%. However, if Johnson were leader, Labour would gain a 2% lead over the Tories. Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper, however, would worsen Labour’s electoral chances. There would be a 2% Tory lead with Cooper as leader, and a 3% Tory lead with Balls.
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Poor polling for the Conservative Party. Firmly rooted at around 30% with no prospect of going higher.

In other news I witnessed the best FA Cup tie of first round as my team Dartford scrambled through by the odd goal in seven at local rivals Bromley. A classic cup tie in all respects. Stil buzzing 6 hours later!
  • Options
    felix said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

Artist said:

I'd be interested in the crossbreaks of the Johnson question. I guess any gains Labour would make from 2010 Labour don't knows and UKIP would be cancelled out by Lib Dem switchers leaving

But the crucial thing is net result zero.
    Ed Miliband is not Labour's problem, it's that it's not left wing and WWC enough to prevent losing votes.
    Labours problem is that socialism had been tried to destruction and found to be mince.

The public have had enough.
    The problem is the public want it back, both the Labour party base and the Tory party base crave for a return to the policies of the 80's, they demand Socialism and Thatcherism.

As proven also by a NYT article that I posted, the moderate centrists are a minority, the majority of the public are extremists.
    Interesting - my own serious feeling is that the public in large numbers simply do not want to face the reality that the country must endure falling/stagnant living standard for another 20 years along with the rest of Europe. We simply cannot continue to live as we have done on debt which is largely provided by foreign countries which have less good standards of living than ourselves. Twenty years of cold turkey is the right medicine but the piblic don't want to take it.
    You might like to take that up with Cameron and Osborne with their "paying down Britain's debts" claims and their magic money tree funded promises.
    Oh dear -- smarting that the EU budget deal not dominating the papers are we. You conveniently forget that all of Cameron's speeches about tax cuts are predicated on continuing to reduce the deficit.
    Correct. But opponents of the tories conveniently forget many things. We have just seen the unholy alliance of Balls and Farage lying through their teeth on the news
  • Options

Thanks

Tory PBers doing a good job of diverting attention from all tonights VI polls which are terrible for the Tories.

It will not save them though.
  • Options

Canute was right.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Canute was right.
    Yep. Canute wanted to show his subjects that he could NOT hold back the tide.
  • Options

YouGov/Sunday Times

Today’s poll shows Labour and the Tories level on 33%. However, if Johnson were leader, Labour would gain a 2% lead over the Tories. Ed Balls and Yvette Cooper, however, would worsen Labour’s electoral chances. There would be a 2% Tory lead with Cooper as leader, and a 3% Tory lead with Balls.

Looks like margin of error stuff to me.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

Thanks

Tory PBers doing a good job of diverting attention from all tonights VI polls which are terrible for the Tories.

Level with Yougov terrible?

Right.
  • Options
    There is no crisis, there is unswerving loyalty, there is no plot, we have faith in the leadership of Ed Cameron and David Miliband.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

@LordAshcroft: I agree with @TristramHuntMP: Mail on Sunday story is total nonsense. Ed Miliband is the right person to lead Labour and Britain. Pls RT

Ashcroft: Ed Milliband the right person to lead Britain.

Wow.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Lucy Powell just retweeted that...
  • Options

YouGov/Sunday Times

The great British electorate are incredibly ignorant about politics - most will not even have heard of Yvette Cooper and although her husband is probably better known, he doesn't have the cuddly charm of The Postie - why even most Tories quite like him.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Lucy Powell just retweeted that...
    You're kidding...
  • Options
    Oh dear

The YouGov has the Tories ahead, if you mention Ed and Dave's name

In our YouGov poll today Labour and the Conservatives are level on 33%, unless voters are reminded who the leaders are, when David Cameron’s Tories top Miliband’s Labour 33% to 31%.
  • Options

YouGov/Sunday Times

Scarily for Tories, anyone but Cameron and they'd be languishing in the polls so loathed is the Party itself.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Thanks

Right.
    The best of the 3 still has EICIPM so terrible IMO given the EIC problems of LAB
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Betting Post

Alan Johnson still available at 16-1 with Bet Victor for next Labour leader.

I've marginally overcovered my combined Ed Miliband/Ed Balls next chancellor potential winnings and stake with winnings from Alan Johnson next Labour leader now.

If it isn't going to happen then I anticipate he'll be amongst the runners and riders still whenever Ed does step down, so one should be able to lay off most of the stake on Betfair at that point to even up the position.

Anyway I think its a sensible punt worth taking at this point in time, especially if you have backed Balls/Miliband for next PM/Chancellor.

DYOR at any rate.
  • Options
    No sign as yet of this supposed bad news story for Miliband in The Sunday Telegraph?
    It's almost 11:30 pm, the presses must be rolling by now.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Betting Post

I've marginally overcovered my combined Ed Miliband/Ed Balls next chancellor potential winnings and stake with winnings from Alan Johnson next Labour leader now.

If it isn't going to happen then I anticipate he'll be amongst the runners and riders still whenever Ed does step down, so one should be able to lay off most of the stake on Betfair at that point to even up the position.

Anyway I think its a sensible punt worth taking at this point in time, especially if you have backed Balls/Miliband for next PM/Chancellor.

DYOR at any rate.

PTP indicates skeletons in the AJ closet.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

dr_spyn said:

Sunday Mirror names a top spook...
    The name is hardly out of left field, but what his actual job was (rather than his cover) is probably far less known.

This story isn't going anyway, and all 3 main parties are going to get covered in c##p when it finally all comes out.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,584
    edited November 2014

No sign as yet of this supposed bad news story for Miliband in The Sunday Telegraph?

It was the Wisdom Poll they were talking about, Con ahead

CON ahead in ICM wisdom/S Tel index where sample what would the vote share be NOT how they would vote.
    CON 31% LAB 30% LD 13% UKIP 16%
  • Options
    Blinking hell, the Sunday Times have spread their polling across 10 (yes, ten) different articles.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

TGOHF said:

Ashcroft: Ed Milliband the right person to lead Britain.

Wow.

Did you just hear a whooshing sound above your head?
  • Options
    So RobD's on a plan, and we've sort of had two crossover polls.

Put that man on a plane around 5-6pm on Monday
  • Options

JohnO said:

Thanks

Right.
    The best of the 3 still has EICIPM so terrible IMO given the EIC problems of LAB
    If you say so, old bean. Absolutely. Spot on (but barely stifles a sly, even graceless snigger)
  • Options
    Once just once A Labour type will post that Ed will be PM because he is the best leader with the best policy and the polls are irrelevant. Won't they ?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Betting Post

DYOR at any rate.

On the face of it, that looks like a good bet (apart from the fact that Bet Victor closed me down 4 years ago) ....... but I just have this nagging doubt concerning PtP's recent negative comments about the Postie's prospects - damn him for going to bed!
  • Options
    The Tory Press is absolutely crapping itself. What an ugly spectacle.
  • Options
    David Miliband, who lifts Labour to 36% over the Tories’ 30% in our YouGov poll, tweeted last week from the safe distance of New York about fundraising with the singer Sting for his international rescue charity. The popular postie Alan Johnson only lifts Labour to 33% from 31%, and anyway says he prefers to spend more time with his bestselling books.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

Betting Post

DYOR at any rate.

The problem here is that he obviously doesn't want the job.

1000/1 ain't value if the horse ain't running.
  • Options
    YouGov Sunday Times polling finds having David Miliband as leader lifts Labour to 36% over the Tories’ 30%
  • Options
    BenM said:

Observer the Tory press these days?
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Once just once A Labour type will post that Ed will be PM because he is the best leader with the best policy and the polls are irrelevant. Won't they ?

Probably not many Labour but loads of their kipper buddies will. How they yearn for Ed (look, he's not THAT crap) as PM and no tiresome referendum.
  • Options

It was the Wisdom Poll they were talking about, Con ahead

CON ahead in ICM wisdom/S Tel index where sample what would the vote share be NOT how they would vote.
    CON 31% LAB 30% LD 13% UKIP 16%
    Big deal - NOT!
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164
    edited November 2014
    Well it looks like Labour should have picked Alan Johnson, but if Ed Miliband does not manage to sneak into No 10 through the back door they have a new Messiah in Chukka Umuna
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Betting Post

DYOR at any rate.

If its going to happen, it'll happen fast, and it scuppers alot of value Labour bets I have right now - so I've tapped up a bit of insurance on the postie. Thats the way I'm looking at it.

They'll probably go for Yvette and I'll be out of cash - but hey ho ^_~
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

We've seen 2 out of 3 of those in individual posts at the same time. Close enough?
    BenM said:

Eh, the press in general crapping itself is ugly and pathetic, the Tory Press is no more or less a spectacle than any other kind of press. Given it seems to be shifting from tearing their own side apart toward focusing on the GE contest and returning to form, best to let them have their moment. It's not as though they are not feeding off Labour press.
  • Options
    BenM said:

Yeah, just look at the New Statesman or the Observer and Indy on Sunday front pages.
  • Options
    Adam Boulton in the Sunday Times sums it up

Ed is teetering on the edge, with no one behind who can push
  • Options
    ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi 'critically injured' after US airstrikes target gathering of jihadist chiefs at Iraqi border town
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Betting Post

DYOR at any rate.

I don't know about "skeletons", but snap (sort of).
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,558

felix said:

felix said:

Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

Artist said:

I'd be interested in the crossbreaks of the Johnson question. I guess any gains Labour would make from 2010 Labour don't knows and UKIP would be cancelled out by Lib Dem switchers leaving

But the crucial thing is net result zero.
    Ed Miliband is not Labour's problem, it's that it's not left wing and WWC enough to prevent losing votes.
    Labours problem is that socialism had been tried to destruction and found to be mince.

The public have had enough.
    The problem is the public want it back, both the Labour party base and the Tory party base crave for a return to the policies of the 80's, they demand Socialism and Thatcherism.

As proven also by a NYT article that I posted, the moderate centrists are a minority, the majority of the public are extremists.
    Interesting - my own serious feeling is that the public in large numbers simply do not want to face the reality that the country must endure falling/stagnant living standard for another 20 years along with the rest of Europe. We simply cannot continue to live as we have done on debt which is largely provided by foreign countries which have less good standards of living than ourselves. Twenty years of cold turkey is the right medicine but the piblic don't want to take it.
    You might like to take that up with Cameron and Osborne with their "paying down Britain's debts" claims and their magic money tree funded promises.
    Oh dear -- smarting that the EU budget deal not dominating the papers are we. You conveniently forget that all of Cameron's speeches about tax cuts are predicated on continuing to reduce the deficit.
    Correct. But opponents of the tories conveniently forget many things. We have just seen the unholy alliance of Balls and Farage lying through their teeth on the news
    If only Cameron could find his own Balls.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

Ed is Crap will be PM because he is the leader of the Lab party that has best/fairest policies for the difficult years ahead.

The polls are onlyrelevant because every poll since i became a PB regular in June even those with small Tory leads show EICIPM.

Thats as far as I could go TBF
  • Options
    JohnO said:

TGOHF said:

Probably not many Labour but loads of their kipper buddies will. How they yearn for Ed (look, he's not THAT crap) as PM and no tiresome referendum.
    I have noticed over at the Times comment section that Ed's biggest defenders are Kippers.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

TGOHF said:

@BBCPolitics: Ed Miliband is set to warn that threats to leave the EU are a "clear and present danger" to the UK's future... http://t.co/n0ybGDTckU

Coming of the fence on the EU and being positively pro EU at a time like this: After all that sort of thing has worked out really well for Nick Clegg and the Libdems this year.

No wonder his MPs are dispairing.
    In fact its the tories who have the righjt policy.
    They recognise that we need to renegotiate our relationship with the EU which is turning into a Euro-Union.
    After that it is in the lap of the gods eg the voters. Seems fair.
    To be honest I am sanguine. Leaving the EU and joining the EEA would probably be best for the UK but it would not make much effective difference to us or our relationship.
    Ed is crazy because the best policy for Labour would be to recognise this and campaign on being best to look after UK interests in a changing evolving EU. Certainly voting UKIP looks even more stupid based on this.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    edited November 2014
    Evening all,

Have been out.

Can someone sum up tonight's events in no more than 140 characters? :D
  • Options
    Oh Sweet Jesus lets just put it out here:

Is shagging around really the worst crime in the world and is it such a massive skeleton ?!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    GIN1138 said:

Evening all,

Have been out.

Can someone sum up tonight's events in no more than 140 characters? :D

To borrow a phrase - EICIPM. Also, Kippers cannot believe their luck. Canute misinterpreted.

This discussion has been closed.