Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Saturday night polling news starts to come out and it d

Comments

• Options
    It is far too late to defenestrate Ed.

A ninety day leadership contest for labour would be a dream for Lynton Crosby - even if there was only one candidate.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100

If there was a mechanism to remove Ed, that process would be in motion now, I have no doubt.

However, there isn't. It is down to Ed realising he will cost Labour many, many seats and quite possibly the replacement of a Tory-led Coalition.

I have said before, I think he will mull this over - and for the good of the party that has been his life, he will stand down, by a week on Monday. Marquee Mark my words....

Why a week on Monday? That would be three days shy of the Tory rout at Rochester!
    Because he want's a story to bury bad news.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Oh poor Ed

Nick Sutton ‏@suttonnick 32s32 seconds ago

Sunday Times front page:

"Labour voters say Miliband unfit to be PM"

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B18x1n2CAAA_5mD.jpg:large

Wonder what David makes of it all.
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 37s38 seconds ago

National Opinion Poll (YouGov):

CON - 33% (+1)
    LAB - 33% (-)

Scenario with Alan Johnson as Labour leader:
    LAB - 33% (-)
    CON - 31% (-1)
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @stodge

'The only cards the Tories have to play are'

And which cards do the Lib Dems have to play?.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,142
    edited November 2014
    TGOHF said:

stodge said:

The only cards the Tories have to play are.

The autumn statement and the budget are two huge cards..
    It will be interesting to compare Osborne's budget borrowing predictions with those from his first budget.

How many hundreds of billions of pounds will he have failed by do you think ?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    Scott_P said:

@christopherhope: BREAK ICM asked if an election tomorrow, what would the vote share be? Result: Conservative 31% Labour 30% Lib Dems 13% UKIP 16% Others 9%

EICIPM on those figures sorry to disappoint.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

@christopherhope: BREAK Three point swing from Labour to Conservatives in just four weeks in ICM/@Telegraph poll tonight; Tories ahead for 1st time since May.

Previous ICM was I think Lab 35, Con 31, UKIP 14, LD 11.

So 3 point swing would put the Tories 2 points ahead.
    That's interesting. IMHO if the Tories want to win next year they must stop being complacent. Ed being indescribably crap is not enough.

Cameron needs to all be about statesmanship, leadership and long-term vision for the country. He should set out credible strategies within that for addressing people's concerns on Europe and immigration and cease these short-term knee-jerk gimmicks.

He should also charm the socks off his own backbench MPs and show he's listening by broadening his inner circle.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,291
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 1m1 minute ago
    CON - 33% (+1)
    LAB - 33% (-)

LAB - 33% (-)
    CON - 31% (-1)
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

If there was a mechanism to remove Ed, that process would be in motion now, I have no doubt.

However, there isn't. It is down to Ed realising he will cost Labour many, many seats and quite possibly the replacement of a Tory-led Coalition.

I have said before, I think he will mull this over - and for the good of the party that has been his life, he will stand down, by a week on Monday. Marquee Mark my words....

I doubt it - as well as being thick as the proverbial he is extraordinarily arrogant. He is planning a big pro-EU speech to rally the party and the country behind him - says it all.
  • Options

CON - 33% (+1)
    LAB - 33% (-)

LAB - 33% (-)
    CON - 31% (-1)

Hardly earth shattering.....
  • Options

Why a week on Monday? That would be three days shy of the Tory rout at Rochester!

Because Labour cannot withstand more than two weekends of this....

Nonsense! They've already withstood four whole years of Ed!
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

ST : Darling attacks mansion tax...

One policy that is popular among Labour voters.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376

kle4 said:

Must say I am surprised by these negative Ed M stories having such prominence. Even if the Cameroon's interpretation of events in Europe are wholly correct, the picture the public has been getting is that they have been caught out spinning, and being caught in such behaviour about the despised EU seems even more headline grabbing than that Ed M has problems.

The EU thingy was always going to be taken over by bad polls for Ed.

Pub talk today wasn't about the EU money it was about Ed's leadership.

Dinner party tonight. EU didn't get mentioned once. Ed did. Lots.

And before you ask there were only 1.5 Tories around the table.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    TGOHF said:

felix said:

Scott_P said:

@christopherhope: BREAK Three point swing from Labour to Conservatives in just four weeks in ICM/@Telegraph poll tonight; Tories ahead for 1st time since May.

Oh dear not the headlines the kipper loons were wanting - EU deal doesen't get a mention.
    Kippers were predicting GO would resign by Tuesday,,,
    Mr Osborne doesn't seem the type to resign. If he was, he'd have gone long since.

• Options
    Now lets assume EdM is forced out.

What happens if he spits his dummy out and causes an immediate byelection.

Real potential problem there for Labour.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Must say I am surprised by these negative Ed M stories having such prominence. Even if the Cameroon's interpretation of events in Europe are wholly correct, the picture the public has been getting is that they have been caught out spinning, and being caught in such behaviour about the despised EU seems even more headline grabbing than that Ed M has problems.

LOL, you must go to a very interesting pub, discussing Ed's leadership.
    The Ed Lion by any chance?
  • Options
    chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    45% of 2010 Labour voters say Miliband should resign.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It won't be forgotten by the people who do the voting. If there is not much fuss its because we, the electorate, know they are a bunch of cave-in-weak-shysters so this is hardly a surprise. Its much what everyone expected them to do from the moment Cameron first bounced up and down in fake outrage about it.
  • Options
    Unhelpful Sunday Telegraph headline for Cameron - about EU Red Tape.
  • Options

CON - 33% (+1)
    LAB - 33% (-)

LAB - 33% (-)
    CON - 31% (-1)

Hardly earth shattering.....
    Hardly surprising, Paul.

• Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,458
    edited November 2014

kle4 said:

You were eating the remaining 0.5 Tory????
  • Options

kle4 said:

A dinner party involving 1.5 people?
  • Options

A ninety day leadership contest for labour would be a dream for Lynton Crosby - even if there was only one candidate.

Agreed - EdM will stay. The GE next May could well be a political earthquake.
  • Options

kle4 said:

LOL, you must go to a very interesting pub, discussing Ed's leadership.
    The Ed Lion by any chance?
    No "The Labour in Vain".

• Options
    compouter2compouter2 Posts: 2,371
    What is quite amusing is the fact that Ed is so crap that the Tory Party still struggle to get an opinion poll lead and in most polls are still behind the party of the crap one.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,316
    Floater said:

Oh poor Ed

Sunday Times front page:

In particular is he now wishing he hadn't resigned his seat???
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883
    I'd be interested in the crossbreaks of the Johnson question. I guess any gains Labour would make from 2010 Labour don't knows and UKIP would be cancelled out by Lib Dem switchers leaving
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Floater said:

Oh poor Ed

Sunday Times front page:

Nah! He has a well-paid position at International Rescue to fall back on :)
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 1m1 minute ago
    CON - 33% (+1)
    LAB - 33% (-)

LAB - 33% (-)
    CON - 31% (-1)

What, Labour's problems have nothing to do with it's leader?
  • Options
    Mike Smithson @MSmithsonPB

That YouGov only find LAB doing 2% better with Alan Johnson as leader looks quite good for EdM

Agreed - Miliband is certainly a problem but the lack of credible policies is a much bigger one despite NP's silly tweets.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@christopherhope: BREAK ICM asked if an election tomorrow, what would the vote share be? Result: Conservative 31% Labour 30% Lib Dems 13% UKIP 16% Others 9%

EICIPM on those figures sorry to disappoint.
    No disappointment. You talk nonsense when it comes to election predictions so I, along with most punters on here, just ignore your forecasts.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    What if Ed resigned his seat, and David won the by-election?
  • Options
    Postman Pat wouldn't do any better a job for Labour than Ed. He seems to be a genuinely nice bloke, but he was bloody useless as shadow chancellor, he didn't understand a thing.

So imagine having to take in all the financial stuff on top of every other policy area, and of course the Tories will point out how useless he is with the numbers as they at the same time claim Osborne is the steady hand on the tiller of the economy.
  • Options
    Paul_Mid_BedsPaul_Mid_Beds Posts: 1,409
    edited November 2014
    felix said:

Indeed, especially if discipline continues to break down in Labour and they are infighting like ferrets in a sack in the run up to the election.

UKIP need to be very careful who they select or we will have a repeat of 1945 where all sorts of wonderful characters got elected for Labour in 1945 having only stood as the seat was thought to be unwinnable.......
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

MikeL said:

Floater said:

Oh poor Ed

Sunday Times front page:

But anything could happen in the next half-hour.
  • Options
    Most of the ICM Wisdom Index was done before Ed is crap became a crescendo

ICM Research interviewed an online sample of 2,050 people aged 18+ on 5-6th November 2014.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

kle4 said:

You go to dinner parties from which you are home by 9.25?

• Options
  • Options
    Have to say that the Observer "20 shadow ministers" line is a bit of a giveaway.

There has been a concerted and coordinated effort by the press to kill Millibamd. It was 2 ministers a few days ago, the story died down. Now its 20 ministers. Perhaps by Tuesday they'll be reporting 200 labour MPs calling for Ed to go....
  • Options

Oh poor Ed

Sunday Times front page:

Darling attacks mansion tax...after last weeks bash to the head about increasing borrowing, seems he has recovered to urge some sensible words on this stupid policy.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

MikeL said:

Floater said:

Oh poor Ed

Sunday Times front page:

Here is your coat.
  • Options
    Artist said:

I'd be interested in the crossbreaks of the Johnson question. I guess any gains Labour would make from 2010 Labour don't knows and UKIP would be cancelled out by Lib Dem switchers leaving

But the crucial thing is net result zero.
    Ed Miliband is not Labour's problem, it's that it's not left wing and WWC enough to prevent losing votes.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

felix said:

Indeed, especially if discipline continues to break down in Labour and they are infighting like ferrets in a sack in the run up to the election.

UKIP need to be very careful who they select or we will have a repeat of 1945 where all sorts of wonderful characters got elected for Labour in 1945 having only stood as the seat was thought to be unwinnable.......
    I've screen printed this for May 8th posterity.
    Speedy said:

kle4 said:

A dinner party involving 1.5 people?
    Yep that's right.

The other 4.5 were kippers.
  • Options

What is quite amusing is the fact that Ed is so crap that the Tory Party still struggle to get an opinion poll lead and in most polls are still behind the party of the crap one.

"amusing" - nobody believes you're laughing about the position your party is in 6 months or so from a GE.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Speedy said:

Artist said:

Ed Miliband is not Labour's problem, it's that it's not left wing and WWC enough to prevent losing votes.
    Labours problem is that socialism had been tried to destruction and found to be mince.

The public have had enough.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    The drop in Labour 2010 voters thinking Ed is up to the job of leading the party is astonishing. 51% in October to 34% in November. What will that be by February? or by May?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

MikeL said:

Floater said:

Oh poor Ed

Sunday Times front page:

That was Stingray, John! Not Thunderbirds!!!
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

kle4 said:

I was wondering about that. Presumably the dinner party consists of several youngsters eating bags of crisps and kitkats in front of their computers at CCHQ.
  • Options
    Giles Dilnot ‏@reporterboy 31s31 seconds ago

Tomorrow a Labour MP tells me on camera that for GE2015 "the answer isn't more Ed for the next six months"
  • Options
    I have been moved to stick some serious money on Alan Johnson as PM. Possibly it can't happen but at 26/1 its looking like a value bet.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Are you counting the waiter as 0.5 of a human being ?
  • Options

Most of the ICM Wisdom Index was done before Ed is crap became a crescendo

ICM Research interviewed an online sample of 2,050 people aged 18+ on 5-6th November 2014.

Lol.
  • Options
    But if I 'really' have to spell it out for Speedy … 1 Tory (me), 1 on the fence but mostly Tory, 1 kipper, 3 don't knows but pro-Cameron and very anti EdM.

Amazingly scientific survey. I could vie with Ashcroft.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

Artist said:

Labours problem is that socialism had been tried to destruction and found to be mince.

The problem is the public want it back, both the Labour party base and the Tory party base crave for a return to the policies of the 80's, they demand Socialism and Thatcherism.

As proven also by a NYT article that I posted, the moderate centrists are a minority, the majority of the public are extremists.
  • Options
    I'm really feeling sorry for Ed.

Poor chap, he's a nice guy, trying to difficult job.

#WeBackEd
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    JohnO said:

MikeL said:

Floater said:

Oh poor Ed

Sunday Times front page:

That was Stingray...

EDIT - I see Sunil was on the case more speedily. He has Thunderbird 1 to my Thunderbird 2. I had to wait for the Pod to load....

• Options

kle4 said:

the waiter
    I wish
  • Options

Tomorrow a Labour MP tells me on camera that for GE2015 "the answer isn't more Ed for the next six months"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weasel_word
  • Options
    Speedy said:

it's that it's not left wing and WWC enough

What on earth makes you think that the WWC is left wing?
  • Options
    I take back all those nasty things I said about Tristam Hunt

"Ed Shadow Minister plunges in the dagger"

Plus a poll

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B183kyaCYAACMY2.jpg
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Am I missing something,tories staying put or falling back and we have only Ed under pressure.
  • Options

But if I 'really' have to spell it out for Speedy … 1 Tory (me), 1 on the fence but mostly Tory, 1 kipper, 3 don't knows but pro-Cameron and very anti EdM.

A total of 4 Tories and a Kipper out of a total of 5, I didn't expect otherwise.
  • Options
    Mail Tristram is a four letter fellow plunging in a dagger.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

Artist said:

The problem is the public want it back, both the Labour party base and the Tory party base crave for a return to the policies of the 80's, they demand Socialism and Thatcherism.

As proven also by a NYT article that I posted, the moderate centrists are a minority, the majority of the public are extremists.
    Yes the centrists have only succeeded by the rest being divided into left and right and then centrists infiltrating both left and right as well as having their own centrist party.
  • Options

Have to say that the Observer "20 shadow ministers" line is a bit of a giveaway.

There has been a concerted and coordinated effort by the press to kill Millibamd. It was 2 ministers a few days ago, the story died down. Now its 20 ministers. Perhaps by Tuesday they'll be reporting 200 labour MPs calling for Ed to go....

Why would the Sunday Guardian want to kill Ed off?
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

kle4 said:

I was wondering about that. Presumably the dinner party consists of several youngsters eating bags of crisps and kitkats in front of their computers at CCHQ.
    No, but funnily enough some of those present did have a second event to get to. I was host and just sat down. Long story, not for pb.
  • Options
    Mike asked me be on the look out tonight for any polls/interesting stories/front pages.

He picked a hell of a night to ask me.
  • Options
    @joeyjonessky: according to Mail on Sunday it's "et tu, Tristram" for @Ed_Miliband
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Mail Tristram is a four letter fellow plunging in a dagger.

Those toffs sure have it in for Ed...
  • Options
    Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 3m3 minutes ago
    Is Ed Miliband up to the job of leading Labour (YouGov) LAB voters only:
    Yes - 34% (-17)
    No - 42% (+14)

Percentage changes from October.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,883

Ian Austin 4/6
    Simon Danczuk 2/1
    Kate Hoey 3/1
    Frank Field 3/1
    Alan Campbell 5/1
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

kle4 said:

Maybe it was a childrens birthday party and that's why she's counting people by halves.

• Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Those adjusted figures are disappointing for Team Johnson. The ringleaders may need to reconsider.
  • Options
    @RobbieGibb: Danczuk "The answer isn't more Ed in the next 6 months, let's be honest about this because that approach has already been tried & tested"
  • Options
    Speedy said:

A total of 4 Tories and a Kipper out of a total of 5, I didn't expect otherwise.
    Pay attention. That's not what I said. I said three were pro Cameron. They actually said they may not vote at all, and none of the three said they would vote Conservative.

What they did say, which I found interesting, is that they thought Cameron has gravitas.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,900
    Just in case people were misled by the headlines.

I can exclusively reveal that all 3 polls ie both real polls and the WI poll

Would result in............ EICIPM as would every poll since i have been posting ie June 2014.

The October erosion of the LAB lead has reversed in the early NOV polls so far so to quote Dave

calm down dears!!
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Britain Elects ‏@britainelects 3m3 minutes ago
    Is Ed Miliband up to the job of leading Labour (YouGov) LAB voters only:
    Yes - 34% (-17)
    No - 42% (+14)

Percentage changes from October.

That's not survivable.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

JohnO said:

MikeL said:

Floater said:

Oh poor Ed

Sunday Times front page:

That was Stingray...

EDIT - I see Sunil was on the case more speedily. He has Thunderbird 1 to my Thunderbird 2. I had to wait for the Pod to load....

OK, OK, but Lady Penelope is an Elmbridge resident.
  • Options

Speedy said:

Pay attention. That's not what I said. I said three were pro Cameron. They actually said they may not vote at all, and none of the three said they would vote Conservative.

What they did say, which I found interesting, is that they thought Cameron has gravitas.
    Pro-Cameron and not being a Tory? What are they, the last remains of the liberals?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    chestnut said:

45% of 2010 Labour voters say Miliband should resign.

Ed can you feel the love???

Will your intellectual self confidence see you through?
  • Options
    Sunday Mail is nuclear for Ed. Hunt plunges the knife.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@RobbieGibb: Danczuk "The answer isn't more Ed in the next 6 months, let's be honest about this because that approach has already been tried & tested"

Straight to the bin.
  • Options

Just in case people were misled by the headlines.

I can exclusively reveal that all 3 polls ie both real polls and the WI poll

Would result in............ EICIPM as would every poll since i have been posting ie June 2014.

The October erosion of the LAB lead has reversed in the early NOV polls so far so to quote Dave

calm down dears!!

Its all down hill from here I'm afraid.

EMWNBPM

• Options

It's fucking Dansczuk. We already know that. Instead of growing a pair and defecting to UKIP he's decided to try and bring Labour down instead. Then defect. A nice man.
  • Options
    All hail Jack W

Ed Miliband Will Never be Prime minister
  • Options
    As I posted earlier, the #saveed brigade must be in meltdown tonight.
  • Options
    Blinking murdoch and mail going for Ed but using their sock puppets the Observer and Independent to do so.... does their deceit and cunning know no limits!!
  • Options
    edited November 2014

I take back all those nasty things I said about Tristam Hunt

"Ed Shadow Minister plunges in the dagger"

Plus a poll

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B183kyaCYAACMY2.jpg

I said before that I suspect Hunt is one of those people with a 5,000 majority in his Stoke on Trent Central seat panicking about UKIP. ....

• Options
    @mediaguardian: Ed Miliband at bay: the hack pack scents the blood of vulnerable prey http://t.co/U9BjyuA4bB
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    Ed is making a speech to the CBI on Monday I believe. Its the last final and only chance to secure himself for the run up to the GE. If he has an "Ed moment" or forgets the economy then to all intents and purposes he will be a gonna. Dead finished ....over and out.

COME ON ED!!!!! You can do it ...you can ....have faith man!

DUEMA # SaveEd # WebackEd

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited November 2014

As I posted earlier, the #saveed brigade must be in meltdown tonight.

Most are too busy tweeting about how evil the Daily Mail and News International are to notice. That is what I got from searching for #saveed, that they caused every issue ever in this country, well and Thatcher plus Cameron apparently is a posho (never knew that).
  • Options

It's fucking Dansczuk. We already know that. Instead of growing a pair and defecting to UKIP he's decided to try and bring Labour down instead. Then defect. A nice man.
    Stop slagging off Dansczuk.

Have you seen his wife and her selfies?

If I lived in Rochdale (and I thank Allah, I don't) I'd be voting for him.
  • Options
    @BBCPolitics: Ed Miliband is set to warn that threats to leave the EU are a "clear and present danger" to the UK's future... http://t.co/n0ybGDTckU
  • Options

Am I missing something,tories staying put or falling back and we have only Ed under pressure.

When something like this happens it is all about confidence and mood, and that is only tenuously related to facts.
  • Options
    Not sure I've seen anything quite like this since the insurrection against Major and, before that, the knifing of Maggie.

It's pretty bloody brutal.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

TGOHF said:

Speedy said:

Artist said:

Interesting - my own serious feeling is that the public in large numbers simply do not want to face the reality that the country must endure falling/stagnant living standard for another 20 years along with the rest of Europe. We simply cannot continue to live as we have done on debt which is largely provided by foreign countries which have less good standards of living than ourselves. Twenty years of cold turkey is the right medicine but the piblic don't want to take it.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Artist said:

Ian Austin 4/6
    Simon Danczuk 2/1
    Kate Hoey 3/1
    Frank Field 3/1
    Alan Campbell 5/1
    Alan Campbell? He's one of the most obscure Labour MPs you could think of.
This discussion has been closed.