Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tory MP Mark Reckless defects to UKIP

Comments

• Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Frustrated blonde Lady in her 50's spotted in Doncaster ! Cameron will be pleased.
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955

Vote UKIP, get a Miliband government, and no referendum.

There are going to be some very disappointed voters next May.

Sounds good to me!

*popcorn*
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    edited September 2014

I can't really the see problem.

Only a few weeks back we had the PB cameroons saying anyone who didn't like Dave should just bugger off and join UKIP.

Now that they are they'll be delighted.
  • Options
    alexalex Posts: 244
    The annoying thing about all these recent political "uprisings" (Scottish Independence, UKIP) is that a part of one from a purely political standpoint desperately wants them to actually get hold of power so one can be amused at the whole thing falling apart in no time at all. Unfortunately we don't have the luxury.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    Hugh said:

I'm sure you're all following Mike on twitter, but if not I recommend it.

He's very busy sniffing out the next Tory rat to jump ship....

True I agree with Mike on this.
    Private polling has probably been carried to show if Reckless could win his seat under UKIP.
    Same for Kettering constituency.
    All potential defectors have probably had polling too.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So what odds can I get on SNP to be largest party at the 2015 GE?
  • Options
    Neil said:

The by-election will be interesting. Not impossible that Labour could slip through the middle.

Conservative tactics have to be to see off Labour early so that they can borrow all their voters as an anti-UKIP block.

• Options
    Fpt Morris Dancer:

" Mr. Socrates, I think some investigations are underway (Look North recently reported either 18 or 28 suspects were being investigated), but I concur it seems not nearly enough is being done. It's industrial scale abuse over a prolonged period, with rank incompetence by state authorities (the police losing all the clothing one victim cleverly kept as evidence is unforgivable). "

Two points:

1) You're assuming that the evidence was accidentally lost. If you read the story it suggests something far more sinister.

2) What better way to let the abusers escape justice than these constant reports of 'investigations' and 'day of reckoning'. It gives plenty of time to get a plane to Pakistan. Of course certain people in authority might be very nervous if some abusers started 'naming names'.

Meanwhile Home Secretary Theresa May has taken no action against the South Yorkshire plods.

• Options
    Charles said:

Mark Reckless did PPE

I'm assuming all those Kippers that slagged of Dave et al for reading PPE will criticise Reckless for reading PPE?

I'm waiting for all those Kippers who criticised Cameron for trying to upstage the Kipper conference to complain about Farage doing the same...
    Personally I think it serves them right for all those stage managed 'I'm leaving UKIP because I can no longer tolerate the racism' defections during the European elections.

• Options
    Ukip get more and more Tory by the day and more and more Tories by the day and Tory Con and Tory Ukip get set to fight out the battle for the right.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Floater said:

If they can get a Labour Mp to defect.....

If that were to happen then all hell could break loose by next May. However, all they are likely to achieve is a Labour government under Ed Miliband which will keep us in Europe and really trash the economy. Ironically this will be especially bad for all of the pensioners who are seduced by the UKIP message. It'd all be very funny were it not so utterly tragic for the country.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    hucks67 said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

Chris Kelly and Gisela Stewart the latest names being floated...

Not a chance.
    I don't think any Labour MP's would defect to UKIP. Some like Kelvin Hopkins are EU Sceptic, but they would not want to join UKIP, as they would disagree with many of their policies.

Spot on! I wish it were not so but...
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Neil said:

The by-election will be interesting. Not impossible that Labour could slip through the middle.

Private polling has probably been done in Stroud on behalf of Reckless, so I think it will be an easy UKIP win.
  • Options
    Defections to UKIP have been well orchestrated and leak free.

UKIP displaying political competence.

• Options
    Socrates said:

hucks67 said:

Cameron captain of a sinking ship ? This could lead to more Tories voters going over to UKP. Cameron is not going to resign or do a deal with UKIP. He would rather lose the election.

The business or pleasure joke he made at that dinner was very revealing. He has greater emotional antipathy to an English eurosceptic than he does to a Scottish separatist.
    That Matthew Parris article sums up the view of establishment Tories.
  • Options
    Sky News has just reported that the Tories have a list of 5 possible defectors, but Reckless wasn't on that list.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,072
    edited September 2014
    Before he introduced Reckless, Farage showed private polling that showed UKIp ahead in Thurrock, Boston &Skegness, Great Yarmouth, Eastleigh, and Thanet South.

Also showed UKIp in strong second places in Rotherham and North Thanet
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    IMO UKIP won't have any trouble winning a by-election in Rochester & Strood. No danger of Labour slipping throug the middle: plenty of their supporters will vote UKIP.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Tory party splitting over Europe. Who'd have thought it possible.

Whilst it will no doubt be painful in the short term, it should be better for the Tories long term. They will be a smaller but more coherent centre right party..
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

Not a chance.
    I don't think any Labour MP's would defect to UKIP. Some like Kelvin Hopkins are EU Sceptic, but they would not want to join UKIP, as they would disagree with many of their policies.

With the precedent now well and truly set for standing down and forcing a by-election, it is unlikely any Labour MP would defect to UKIP this side of the GE. But after 2015, with an unpopular Labour government, maybe then?

• Options
    isam said:

Before he introduced Reckless, Farage showed private polling that showed UKIp ahead in Thurrock, Boston &Skegness, Great Yarmouth, Eastleigh, and Thanet South.

Can you give us the numbers?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,584
    edited September 2014
    UKIP to get more than 5 MPs at GE is 2.34 at moment on Betfair.
  • Options

Surely the traitorous pig dog will resign and contest a by-election.

Or is he just a big coward?

We had fitalass whining that Carswell had caused a byelection.

One of you has got the party line mixed up.
  • Options
    Obviously the best thing that could happen now is a labour defection, but as people are saying, it's unlikely

Cruddas or Field would be a dream
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Sky News has just reported that the Tories have a list of 5 possible defectors, but Reckless wasn't on that list.

Hehe Tories playing whack-a-mole. The Right falling apart. Splitters!

"I think I'd be quite good at it". How's that whole thing working out for ya Dave?
  • Options
    UKIP getting ready for another announcement for the end of their conference ? Tories losing two MP's prior to their conference would be pretty difficult for them. Tory conference would turn into one about UKIP and any new policies won't get media coverage.

Or perhaps UKIP will wait until the Tory conference starts and then make the announcement.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Speedy said:

Shows how utterly clueless about this all the Tories are. Including all the Tory PB'ers on here who said no further defections ever since Carswell. Well what little they know. And the reasons behind it all too.

Another defection next Wednesday would be very amusing!

And I don't think UKIP are ahead in Eastleigh. That's going to be a LibDem hold. Until UKIP make a breakthrough on the local council, the LibDems aren't going anywhere there.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

isam said:

Private polling alert! Seem to remember some PB debate about this the other day.
  • Options
    Chris Mason BBC

Labour: “This is a hammer blow to David Cameron's already weakened authority.'
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Whilst it will no doubt be painful in the short term, it should be better for the Tories long term. They will be a smaller but more coherent centre right party..

Key word "smaller".
    If the Tories get any smaller than now, how can they have hopes on winning elections?
  • Options
    "Britain is more than a star on somebody else's flag" - Reckless

It's a great line that UKIP should repeat.
  • Options
    hucks67 said:

UKIP getting ready for another announcement for the end of their conference ? Tories losing two MP's prior to their conference would be pretty difficult for them. Tory conference would turn into one about UKIP and any new policies won't get media coverage.

Or perhaps UKIP will wait until the Tory conference starts and then make the announcement.

They should be thankful that that help to buy policy for first time buyers under 40 isn't getting any airtime. Meddling in the housing market used to be a preoccupation of the Labour party. Now it seems the mantle of the Tories, desperate to prop up a bubble at all costs that is helping the few and not the many. What ever happened to the great free market principles that the Tories espoused at one time?
  • Options

Gove is doing an out-standing job as Chief Whip. If enough MPs go this week, then might Dave announce a reshuffle: one of those 'essay crisis' moments where he panics?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Mark Hanson is the UKIP candidate for Rochester and Strood...
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    isam said:

Gisela Stuart is mildly Eurosceptic, but aside from that she doesn't strike me as the UKIP type at all.

Kate Hoey maybe, although her seat isn't one where UKIP would have much chance.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Speedy said:

Neil said:

Private polling has probably been done in Stroud on behalf of Reckless, so I think it will be an easy UKIP win.
    Yes, a UKIP win has to be favourite but if Labour polled just a little better than in 2010 then they'd set a decent target for them to have to beat. Mind you it remains to be seen that Labour can beat their 2010 performance here.

• Options
    edited September 2014
    isam said:

Obviously the best thing that could happen now is a labour defection, but as people are saying, it's unlikely

Or Kate Hoey or Gisela Stuart. Not that I expect any.
  • Options

I suspect its 'Farage' and not 'UKIP' - Nuttall was saying he didn't know about Carswell until he saw it on the news.....
  • Options
    isam said:

Field springs to mind politically, but he's fiercely Labour. Think, if he didn't defect to Cameron under Brown, no chance with UKIP.

Lab-Kip is not gonna happen.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    felix said:

Floater said:

If that were to happen then all hell could break loose by next May. However, all they are likely to achieve is a Labour government under Ed Miliband which will keep us in Europe and really trash the economy. Ironically this will be especially bad for all of the pensioners who are seduced by the UKIP message. It'd all be very funny were it not so utterly tragic for the country.

All the useful idiots voting Labour will also be shafted. This especially includes the wwc.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,913
    Speedy said:

Jonathan said:

Key word "smaller".
    If the Tories get any smaller than now, how can they have hopes on winning elections?
    If you hadn't noticed that ship has already sailed. No majority for 22 years and the pendulum is hardly swinging towards them.
  • Options
    Blueberry said:

Even if its meaningless rubbish. How many people would even understand it?
  • Options
    I thought Owen Paterson might defect. The only problem is his North Shropshire constituency is a lot less likely than Clacton or Rochester to desert the Tories in either a by-election or general election.
  • Options
    Itajai said:

felix said:

Floater said:

All the useful idiots voting Labour will also be shafted. This especially includes the wwc.
    The working class are idiots.

Official Tory policy, really.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Mark Reckless did PPE

I'm assuming all those Kippers that slagged of Dave et al for reading PPE will criticise Reckless for reading PPE?

I'm waiting for all those Kippers who criticised Cameron for trying to upstage the Kipper conference to complain about Farage doing the same...
    Charles

You do realise its the UKIP conference taking place at the moment not the Conservative ?
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Sounds good to me!

*popcorn*
    Still got the popcorn from '24 hours to Cameron's resignation' you kept posting about over SINDY?

Hope it hasn't gone mouldy.......
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Neil said:

Speedy said:

Neil said:

Yes, a UKIP win has to be favourite but if Labour polled just a little better than in 2010 then they'd set a decent target for them to have to beat. Mind you it remains to be seen that Labour can beat their 2010 performance here.

Nah. I think Labour's increases in most Essex and Kent seats are going to lag way behind their national increases next year.
  • Options
    Hugh said:

isam said:

Field springs to mind politically, but he's fiercely Labour. Think, if he didn't defect to Cameron under Brown, no chance with UKIP.

Cruddas is writing the manifesto. Then he's off fishing by his own account. Seems highly unlikely to say the least.
  • Options
    This should worry Gove (in case he is not defecting too):

Nicholas Watt ‏@nicholaswatt 5m
    Here's my Aug story in which @MarkReckless denied he would defect to @UKIP after @DouglasCarswell went http://gu.com/p/4x59c/tw via @guardian

Many other potential defectors have also denied defecting, so a denial should not be taken seriously any more.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    alex said:

Can Conservatives move the by-election writ close enough to Clacton to seriously stretch UKIP resources?

No, the earliest date would be something like 30th October.

Correction: 13th November.
  • Options
    Strikes me now that Farage must be getting a bit nervous that he can't win a seat himself at GE. I doubt he can continue as leader if they have a group of MPs in commons after GE and he's not one of them.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

hucks67 said:

They should be thankful that that help to buy policy for first time buyers under 40 isn't getting any airtime. Meddling in the housing market used to be a preoccupation of the Labour party. Now it seems the mantle of the Tories, desperate to prop up a bubble at all costs that is helping the few and not the many. What ever happened to the great free market principles that the Tories espoused at one time?
    The silly thing is that these 100,000 homes they are building will mostly be on land that is not currently desirable to build on. There will also be some relaxation on the build quality of the homes, so they can be built cheaper. So they might come at a 20% discount, but the market value will be stay below that of similar sized homes in the area. If they don't sell, it will be embarassing to the government.

Locally to me, there has been a new development of flats and there was a percentage that were affordable. They could not sell them all and some ended up being rented as social housing. There are now problems with some of the tenants and some of the people who bought are not very happy.
  • Options

Hugh said:

Sounds good to me!

*popcorn*
    Still got the popcorn from '24 hours to Cameron's resignation' you kept posting about over SINDY?

I got a bulk discount, David Cameron and the Tories are the gift that just keeps on giving.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

Mark Reckless did PPE

Charles

You do realise its the UKIP conference taking place at the moment not the Conservative ?
    Yes - but people here are talking about trying to get 1 or 2 more defections next week.

It's about as realistic as the Cameron scheduling the HoC recall to disrupt UKIP i.e. bollocks.

Sometimes things happen because it's the appropriate time for them to happen. Not because of some great conspiracy theory
  • Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

Sounds good to me!

*popcorn*

I got a bulk discount, David Cameron and the Tories are the gift that just keeps on giving.
    But he's still PM.......

• Options
    It's difficult to think of any Labour MPs who might defect to UKIP. Can't see either Field or Cruddas doing so, as someone mentioned below.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

Hugh said:

isam said:

Cruddas is writing the manifesto. Then he's off fishing by his own account. Seems highly unlikely to say the least.
    Am I missing something? Why would Cruddas even be worth speculating about as a potential switcher?
  • Options
  • Options
    The effective byelection window is a narrow one.

Defectors to UKIP in less winnable constituencies could hold off until the new year and then say it would be pointless to force a byelection with the general election so near.

But there's going to be panic in Conservative circles about who the next defectors will be.
  • Options
    Oh oh! Listen up, PB Hodges! Dan has given his verdict!

Just seen about Reckless. If the Tories want to win they will. But they do actually have to want to win.

It's bad for Ed Miliband because it will make the Tories want to win!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

IMO UKIP won't have any trouble winning a by-election in Rochester & Strood. No danger of Labour slipping throug the middle: plenty of their supporters will vote UKIP.

Agreed with that. Heywood and Middleton going to be fascinating a week on Thursday now. Its incredible how Farage has had the stage left wide open to him to go after Labour over Rotherham, Rochdale and the like.

And I think it serves the political establishment right for being ultra complacent about the drop in turnout over the years. Remember the turnout between 1992 and 1997 fell from 78% to around 70/71%. And I well remember how much attention that got in the immediate aftermath of the Blair landslide - not a jot! A lot of older people intending to vote UKIP are people who've not voted since 1992 who were never taken in by Blair, but had already abandoned the Tories. It was only going to be a matter of time before someone filled the void. Farage is proving very adept at doing it. Its been a ticking time bomb waiting to explode on the far away Westminter village - not before time!
  • Options

Hugh said:

Hugh said:

Sounds good to me!

*popcorn*

But he's still PM.......

For another few months
  • Options
    For anyone waiting for Dan Hodges or Louise Mensch to froth publicly then sorry, they are frothing privately:

Peter Smith ‏@Redpeter99 28m
    Mark Reckless has just done something remarkable. Silenced @DPJHodges AND @LouiseMensch. They said it couldn't be done
  • Options
    Well, I think it's almost definite that another Tory MP will defect in the next few days. The only question is who. My guess is my own MP Adam Afriyie. The Tories who filled the poor man's head with dreams of becoming PM in a cynical attempt to destabilize Dave are the same characters going over to UKIP. Surely he could be bamboozled by them again.
  • Options
    Euro elections, Medway:

UKIP 27,265
    Conservatives 15,043
    Labour 12,448
    Green 3,684
    Lib Dems 2,420

UKIP- 41.7%
    Conservatives- 23%
    Labour- 19%
    Green- 5.6%
    Lib Dems- 3.7%
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Hugh said:

isam said:

Am I missing something? Why would Cruddas even be worth speculating about as a potential switcher?
    He's not. Just that Isam likes him.

He's not a possibility, even remotely.

Lab-Kip is not happening, don't even waste energy thinking about possibles.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    A UKIP win in Rochester & Strood in the by-election would be embarassing for Labour too. Although Newark was affected by boundary changes since 1997 from the seat Fiona Alexander won, they won't be able to say that about R&S. It seems a long time ago from 1997 / 2001 when the North Kent coast constituencies were won by Labour!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    UKIP gain then.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Speedy said:

AndyJS said:
    UKIP gain then.
    Why do you say that?

It's true she would be the youngest MP by some margin if elected.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    Have we had a Clacton poll recently?
  • Options
    Reckless should fit straight in with his new colleagues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10590725
  • Options

Blueberry said:

Everyone understands flags. The stars clearly represent countries. Even though they stopped at 12 on the flag before hoovering up additional nations.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    Hugh said:

Itajai said:

felix said:

Floater said:

The working class are idiots.

Official Tory policy, really.
    They are if they vote Labour. Despite years of voting in Labour MPs and rotten councils, these areas consistently remain the worst places to live in Britain. Liverpool, Glasgow, Rotherham, the sad list goes on.
  • Options

Well, I think it's almost definite that another Tory MP will defect in the next few days. The only question is who. My guess is my own MP Adam Afriyie. The Tories who filled the poor man's head with dreams of becoming PM in a cynical attempt to destabilize Dave are the same characters going over to UKIP. Surely he could be bamboozled by them again.

Windsor & Eton isn't exactly a place ripe for UKIP though!

What's the latest that a Tory MP could defect and not have to face the voters until the GE? Leics NW went a long time vacant IIRC before the last GE in May 2010.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

isam said:

Speedy said:

isam said:

The bar charts showed UKIP AHEAD in Thanet North
  • Options

Reckless should fit straight in with his new colleagues.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10590725

Looking at that picture, he seems to have aged two decades in four years.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Labour might slip through the middle at the general election, although I wouldn't put the chances of it particularly high.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    Special extended news bulletin interrupting Ryder Cup / football on Radio 5 live to report on .......

Iraq.
  • Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    Blueberry said:

It's a great line for a pantomime but not for serious people in a time of war. Isolationism usually blazes brightly then fizzes out.

There's something rather dishonourable about these defections and very, very, male.

Beware UKIP … you won't win the General Election on testosterone. Alienate women and you'll lose support in hours, as Alex Salmond discovered.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited September 2014
    Hmmmmm...

More right wingers with their heads in the clouds going off into oblivion.

British Right unfit for government since 1990!
  • Options
    hunchman said:

What's the latest that a Tory MP could defect and not have to face the voters until the GE? Leics NW went a long time vacant IIRC before the last GE in May 2010.
    Yes, but those who are likely to persuade him wouldn't care less if he were subsequently thrown to the wolves.
  • Options
    Blueberry said:

Blueberry said:

Everyone understands flags. The stars clearly represent countries. Even though they stopped at 12 on the flag before hoovering up additional nations.
    That'll be the EU flag then, which I suspect most voters have no idea about.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

isam said:

They came up on a big screen on a Smithsonesque bar chart.. hard to see exactly what the numbers are but I think..

Boston (Survation did the polling 10 days ago)
    UKIP 46
    Tory 26
    Lab 18

S Thanet (Ashcroft old polling I think)
    UKIP 33
    Con 25
    Lab 25

Thanet North (survation)
    Con 33
    UKIP 32

Clacton (Ashcroft)
    UKIP 56
    Con 24

Eastleigh (Survation this week)
    UKIP 32
    Con 29
    LD 27

Thurrock was the old Ashcroft MArginals

so was Great Yarmouth

Rotherham ((Survation this week)
    Labour 45
    UKIP 37
    Con and LD 5 & 4 I think

• Options
    audreyanneaudreyanne Posts: 1,376
    edited September 2014
    GIN1138 said:

Hmmmmm...

More right wingers with their heads in the cloud going off into oblivion.

Quite. Whenever I see John Redwood's phizzog on the gogglebox I feel like throwing up.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

The effective byelection window is a narrow one.

Defectors to UKIP in less winnable constituencies could hold off until the new year and then say it would be pointless to force a byelection with the general election so near.

But there's going to be panic in Conservative circles about who the next defectors will be.

On the contrary, a defector's best chance of holding on is to first fight a by-election...
  • Options
    I've watched quite a bit of the conference, some so so speeches and the delivery wasn't always polished.

However, there were some good speeches and they were well received. I haven't seen such energy at a party conference since. . .. 1997.

I will be watching the Tory party conference tomorrow, I'm sure it will be as much fun as the Labour one.
  • Options
    Reckless listed a whole load of things that the Conservatives couldn't do, even if they wanted to, because they don't have a Parliamentary majority. Said he "couldn't promise it as a Conservative, but could as UKIP".

Wonder where he thinks these 330+ UKIP seats are going to come from...
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited September 2014
    removed
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,129
    Does leave Milliband in a bit of a spot, though. He’s going to have people asking more directly about his policies. About the Rotherham problem, too. And EV4EL.

• Options
    hunchman said:

We were discussing this yesterday and a rough estimate would be the beginning of the year. The accepted limit for moving the writ is 3 months from time of vacancy but it can be extended to 4 months if it is close to a GE. The by election must then be held 21 to 27 days after the writ is moved.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

GIN1138 said:

Hmmmmm...

More right wingers with their heads in the cloud going off into oblivion.

Quite. Whenever I see John Redwood I feel like throwing up.
    maybe you should suggest he buggers off and joins UKIP.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Charles said:

Mark Reckless did PPE

Charles

Yes - but people here are talking about trying to get 1 or 2 more defections next week.

It's about as realistic as the Cameron scheduling the HoC recall to disrupt UKIP i.e. bollocks.

Sometimes things happen because it's the appropriate time for them to happen. Not because of some great conspiracy theory
    I don't disagree - I don't think that bombing Iraq is designed to take publicity from UKIP. In any case the last UKIP conference was hardly a success.

• Options
    Hugh said:

Hugh said:

isam said:

He's not. Just that Isam likes him.

He's not a possibility, even remotely.

Lab-Kip is not happening, don't even waste energy thinking about possibles.
    Yes, I wasn't suggesting that they might defect, as Hugh says I like Cruddas and Field so they would be ones I like to join UKIP that's all

Hence I said "the dream"
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    I can see why Farage has been pushing the challenging of Labour seats, not just Tory ones, because at this rate it will be hard to rebut the idea that UKIP are nothing but angry Tories, something UKIP have been working very hard to break free from, finally with some success in the past year or so.
  • Options

Blueberry said:

Blueberry said:

That'll be the EU flag then, which I suspect most voters have no idea about.
    I initially thought he was going on about the US, the Syrian air strikes and Britain being the 51st state. Which would have been a bit bizarre from the party of 'Atlanticism'.
  • Options

Blueberry said:

It's a great line for a pantomime but not for serious people in a time of war. Isolationism usually blazes brightly then fizzes out.

There's something rather dishonourable about these defections and very, very, male.

Beware UKIP … you won't win the General Election on testosterone. Alienate women and you'll lose support in hours, as Alex Salmond discovered.
    Now now calm down dear. Dave knows all about alienating women!

• Options
    kle4 said:

I can see why Farage has been pushing the challenging of Labour seats, not just Tory ones, because at this rate it will be hard to rebut the idea that UKIP are nothing but angry Tories, something UKIP have been working very hard to break free from, finally with some success in the past year or so.

Didn't they announce one of their policies was to abolish Inheritance tax?
  • Options
    hunchman said:

AndyJS said:
    A UKIP win in Rochester & Strood in the by-election would be embarassing for Labour too. Although Newark was affected by boundary changes since 1997 from the seat Fiona Alexander won, they won't be able to say that about R&S. It seems a long time ago from 1997 / 2001 when the North Kent coast constituencies were won by Labour!
    Fiona Jones. Her predecessor was Richard Alexander.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Farage "in talks with Labour backbenchers"
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,129
    edited September 2014
    hunchman said:

Isn’t Parliament prorogued at the end of March, to allow a month for campaigning? That would make the last jump-ship moment early Feb, wouldn’t it?
    Although in practical terms, I would have thought that if someone resigned after the House rises for Christmas no-one would be bothered about a by-election.
This discussion has been closed.