Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tory MP Mark Reckless defects to UKIP

Comments

• Options

The Tories confirmation of a policy of abolition of human rights in the UK increases the chances of Libs and Labs making very sure we do not have a Tory government in #GE2015.Vote swapping in marginals makes a deal more sense.Objective of voting-keep the Tories out because it is a very frightening prospect.

I'll never forget when the Tories tried to bring in detention without charge for 90 days.

Oh no hang on a minute it was Labour.
    Authoritarian Blairite New Labour has long gone,a dead parrot.

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    The Brooks Newmark resignation just seems to be the normal sort of sex scandal that hits politics every now and then. All parties suffer from them from time to time. I doubt it will affect anything important.
  • Options
    Conservative minister resigns over sex scandal

Brooks Newmark, the Conservative minister for civil society, resigns after being caught sending explicit photographs of himself to women over the internet

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/11125919/Conservative-minister-resigns-over-sex-scandal.html
  • Options
    HughHugh Posts: 955
    Popcorn is deceptively filling isn't it?

Oh well, needs must! *munch*

Enjoy your evening, PBTory chums!

*munch*
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    Anyway, evening all, are we bombing those Isil bastards yet??

I was watching for so long last night to see the pictures, like, literally almost a whole hour (after having watched the whole debate - I keep trying to tell y'all, the unemployed have got to be entertained somehow). And still nothing. They'll probably wait until I'm asleep - and I miss all the excitement.

Me and Ms Briskin drinking our bottle of Union celebration Cava.

Santé!

• Options
    kle4 said:

fitalass said:

What is it with UKIPpers and their automatic knee jerk reaction fall back on the claim that anyone who doesn't agree with their political world view must therefore lack 'principles'. If I had collected a pound in a tin for every time that insult has been lobbed at a Conservative supporting poster here or on ConHom in the last decade, I could have made a nice donation to the Conservative party this weekend.

fitalass said:

I didn't think that Carsewell was that big a loss to the Conservative Party, and certainly not any more than Reckless was today. Can't say that I am surprised at the news of the Reckless defection today either, I made it a point to check which Tory MP's didn't vote with the Government yesterday. But hey ho, another unnecessary by-election just months before the next GE, anyone would think the taxpayer isn't going to get fed up footing the bill for these UKIP publicity stunts.

Twitter
    Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 17 mins
    Chris Buckwell, secretary of Rochester Conservatives, tells #C4News they got assurances from Reckless two weeks ago he wouldn't defect

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 54 mins
    Mark Reckless decided he was defecting two weeks ago http://specc.ie/1yuVD3O

Krishnan Guru-Murthy ‏@krishgm 24 hrs
    Hi @MarkReckless - can you rule out defecting to UKIP? Your language on Iraq seems quite Ukippy

Mark Reckless MP ‏@MarkReckless 24h
    @krishgm Indeed. Other Con MPs voted against and not aware Ukip has position

Millsy said:

The loss of Carswell was a big blow to the Tories but Reckless very much less so, particularly as they have a big chance of actually defeating Reckless at the by-election.

Your lack of principles is shameful but not surprising.
    Well we all know that all Tories are really UKIP supporters at heart, therefore if you haven't yet defected you lack principles. Well known.
    Oh puhlease don't be silly. Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine closet Kippers? I'd love to see that!
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,059
    SeanT said:

I'm staying in a fucking amazing hotel. Therasia resort, Vulcano, Aeolia, Sicily, courtesy of the estimable Mister Murdoch.

They claim they have "the best view in the Mediterranean" and I'm not sure they're wrong - the infinity pool overlooks the entire Aeolian archipelago, from Alicudi to Stromboli.

http://www.therasiaresort.it/it/hotel_5_stelle_isole_eolie

I just thought you'd all want to know. There's no other news, is there? I've been in and out of signal as I travel.

I almost stayed there a couple of years ago, but ended up in Lipari... Went to the black sand beach though which was nice (fast show)... Baaad smell nr the market there though!

• Options

I wanted a quiet Saturday

You silly boy. If Mike is away you know that is never going to happen :-)
    Someone has suggested PBers chip in and pay for Mike to go on a round the world trip
    I would start to worry about that Chinese curse about living in Interesting Times.

Mike on a World Cruise.... First Contact with an Alien species? All party leaders spontaneously combust? Pope announces he is marrying his gay boyfriend?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

The Brooks Newmark resignation just seems to be the normal sort of sex scandal that hits politics every now and then. All parties suffer from them from time to time. I doubt it will affect anything important.

There is a long tradition of Tories being caught in sex scandals and Labour in financial ones!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,087
    edited September 2014

kle4 said:

fitalass said:

What is it with UKIPpers and their automatic knee jerk reaction fall back on the claim that anyone who doesn't agree with their political world view must therefore lack 'principles'. If I had collected a pound in a tin for every time that insult has been lobbed at a Conservative supporting poster here or on ConHom in the last decade, I could have made a nice donation to the Conservative party this weekend.

fitalass said:

I didn't think that Carsewell was that big a loss to the Conservative Party, and certainly not any more than Reckless was today. Can't say that I am surprised at the news of the Reckless defection today either, I made it a point to check which Tory MP's didn't vote with the Government yesterday. But hey ho, another unnecessary by-election just months before the next GE, anyone would think the taxpayer isn't going to get fed up footing the bill for these UKIP publicity stunts.

Twitter
    Michael Crick ‏@MichaelLCrick 17 mins
    Chris Buckwell, secretary of Rochester Conservatives, tells #C4News they got assurances from Reckless two weeks ago he wouldn't defect

Isabel Hardman ‏@IsabelHardman 54 mins
    Mark Reckless decided he was defecting two weeks ago http://specc.ie/1yuVD3O

Krishnan Guru-Murthy ‏@krishgm 24 hrs
    Hi @MarkReckless - can you rule out defecting to UKIP? Your language on Iraq seems quite Ukippy

Mark Reckless MP ‏@MarkReckless 24h
    @krishgm Indeed. Other Con MPs voted against and not aware Ukip has position

Millsy said:

The loss of Carswell was a big blow to the Tories but Reckless very much less so, particularly as they have a big chance of actually defeating Reckless at the by-election.

Your lack of principles is shameful but not surprising.
    Well we all know that all Tories are really UKIP supporters at heart, therefore if you haven't yet defected you lack principles. Well known.
    Oh puhlease don't be silly. Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine closet Kippers? I'd love to see that!
    Don't know about Heseltine, but Clarke has been called a LD at heart for many years now, so they probably don't count as true Tories now anyway, decades in the Tory party notwithstanding apparently.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Do people really care about sex scandals when they vote? I'd have thought if anything the resignation would be a good thing for Dave- take up some column inches tomorrow with something that's not Reckless.
  • Options

Someone has suggested PBers chip in and pay for Mike to go on a round the world trip
    I would start to worry about that Chinese curse about living in Interesting Times.

Mike on a World Cruise.... First Contact with an Alien species? All party leaders spontaneously combust? Pope announces he is marrying his gay boyfriend?
    He and I were at one stage worried, that him going on holiday days after the indyref meant Yes was going to win.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Brooks Newmark: The yank who liked a yank

• Options

Yeah but its the Tories on their conference weekend. After the 1990's their scandals have a life and a resonance of their own.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Looks like the Tories are going to be SDPeed off for some time!
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited September 2014
    SeanT said:

I'm staying in a fucking amazing hotel. Therasia resort, Vulcano, Aeolia, Sicily, courtesy of the estimable Mister Murdoch.

They claim they have "the best view in the Mediterranean" and I'm not sure they're wrong - the infinity pool overlooks the entire Aeolian archipelago, from Alicudi to Stromboli.

http://www.therasiaresort.it/it/hotel_5_stelle_isole_eolie

I just thought you'd all want to know. There's no other news, is there? I've been in and out of signal as I travel.

No, no news at all, just the Tories imploding as usual by defections and sex scandals.
  • Options
    So what 90s pop music references shall I put into the next thread.
  • Options
    Is it because of the bloody Tories that all the decent hotels in the West Midlands are fully booked up this week??
  • Options

The Tories confirmation of a policy of abolition of human rights in the UK increases the chances of Libs and Labs making very sure we do not have a Tory government in #GE2015.Vote swapping in marginals makes a deal more sense.Objective of voting-keep the Tories out because it is a very frightening prospect.

I'll never forget when the Tories tried to bring in detention without charge for 90 days.

Ed Milliband voted for the 90 day detention bill.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

All of them
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C5LVETCFe3M
  • Options
    And bloody ComRes haven't sent me an embargoed copy of their poll.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Nirvana? (they sure need some in the Tory party)
    Oasis? (the Tories are hoping to find one)
  • Options

Mr. Corporeal, the music and cartoons were better. Videogame graphics less so. (That said, my Playstation copy of Worms Armageddon has aged surprisingly well).

Sorry Mr, D. the Golden age of cartoons was the 1940s as this Tom and Jerry so adequately demonstrates:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKZgi06fVsk
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Nirvana? (they sure need some in the Tory party)
    Saturday Night by Whigfield, I also have to get in references to PJ & Duncan and 2 Unlimted
  • Options

Given the way they act toward the last government, one might almost suspect the current leadership have forgotten Ed M was even an MP at the time, let alone a Minister and an adviser at the heart of the project for years before that.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    edited September 2014
    Don't we live in exciting times?! EdM is a lucky general...

The political landscape has changed and as you rightly say there are different ways to win. David Cameron will have been Prime Minister for 5 years (and possibly longer). I'd say that's a win.

Audrey, accepted your bet on the last thread and offered a choice of £10 or £20 - not sure if you've said which you'd prefer?
    GIN1138 said:

Actually, in Rotherham, Labour is UP, LOL!

I think this does seriously show the limitsof the Labour->UKIP swing: it certainly exists but it's not really strong. On that basis, Labour should hold Heywood & Middleton.
    Quincel said:

Quincel said:

Betting thoughts

UKIP look pretty damn likely to win a seat in 2015 now, but only 2/9 still available. UKIP also look pretty damn likely to win over 9.5% of the vote in 2015, 8/13 there...

Also, 1.73 at William Hill on UKIP to outpoll the Lib Dems.
    That 1.73 looks like money for jam.

• Options
    80s music better than the 90s :)
  • Options
    Chris Mason ‏@ChrisMasonBBC 1h
    Tory MP Peter Bone on @BBCNews: 'the Conservatives and UKIP have to work together to stop Labour getting in.'

Nadine Dorries MP @NadineDorriesMP · 16m
    My new Blackberry is kaput - message to whips, please stop panicking - it is broken, not switched off
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Hugh said:

Update I've stuck in a link to some Survation polling for UKIP in Rotherham, Boston and Thanet North

Boston & Skegness - 5th-9th September – sample size 595. Tables available here.

Conservative: 26% (-23)

Labour: 21% (nc)

UKIP: 46% (+36)

Liberal Democrat: 2% (-13)

Other Parties: 6% (nc)

North Thanet - 25th-26th September – sample size 571. Tables available here.

Conservative: 33% (-19)

Labour: 24% (+2)

UKIP: 32% (+25)

Liberal Democrat: 6% (-13)

Other Parties: 5% (+5)

Rotherham – 23rd-25th September – sample size 550. Tables available here.

Conservative: 6% (-11)

Labour: 48% (+4)

UKIP: 37% (+31)

Liberal Democrat: 4% (-12)

Other Parties: 6% (-11)

http://survation.com/new-constituency-polling-for-alan-bown/

Update I've stuck in a link to some Survation polling for UKIP in Rotherham, Boston and Thanet North

Boston & Skegness - 5th-9th September – sample size 595. Tables available here.

Conservative: 26% (-23)

Labour: 21% (nc)

UKIP: 46% (+36)

Liberal Democrat: 2% (-13)

Other Parties: 6% (nc)

North Thanet - 25th-26th September – sample size 571. Tables available here.

Conservative: 33% (-19)

Labour: 24% (+2)

UKIP: 32% (+25)

Liberal Democrat: 6% (-13)

Other Parties: 5% (+5)

Rotherham – 23rd-25th September – sample size 550. Tables available here.

Conservative: 6% (-11)

Labour: 48% (+4)

UKIP: 37% (+31)

Liberal Democrat: 4% (-12)

Other Parties: 6% (-11)

http://survation.com/new-constituency-polling-for-alan-bown/

Con -23; Con -19; Con -11

Hehehe.

*Another interior decoration catalogue, Mr Miliband?*
    Yes, vote ukip get Miliband.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Hugh said:

Itajai said:

felix said:

Floater said:

If they can get a Labour Mp to defect.....

If that were to happen then all hell could break loose by next May. However, all they are likely to achieve is a Labour government under Ed Miliband which will keep us in Europe and really trash the economy. Ironically this will be especially bad for all of the pensioners who are seduced by the UKIP message. It'd all be very funny were it not so utterly tragic for the country.

All the useful idiots voting Labour will also be shafted. This especially includes the wwc.
    The working class are idiots.

Official Tory policy, really.
    Really? seems to me that Labour take us for mugs.
  • Options
    Can't see too many Lab or LD MPs defecting to UKIP :)
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549

Mr. Corporeal, the music and cartoons were better. Videogame graphics less so. (That said, my Playstation copy of Worms Armageddon has aged surprisingly well).

Mr Dancer, that is the stance of past generations who are blinded by sentimentality.
  • Options
    edited September 2014

Tory MP Peter Bone on @BBCNews: 'the Conservatives and UKIP have to work together to stop Labour getting in.'

At some point the UKIP loving Tories may have to accept that a lot of UKIP supporters don't care if Labour gets in, so in what way is working with UKIP a good idea? UKIP would be content to see Ed M in power if it meant they increased their own power, rather than Cameron in power but with less direct UKIP influence electorally.

Either defect themselves, or see UKIP as the enemy already.
  • Options
    TheWatcherTheWatcher Posts: 5,262

Jim Waterson ‏@jimwaterson 2m
    Time to watch the Sunday papers for another bit of Tory fun. Brooks Newmark MP quits over sending "inappropriate pics" online. Old school.

Strange. Chris 'Underpants' Bryant didn't resign.
  • Options
    isam said:

Tory sleaze is back.As well as being nasty,the Tories have a history of sleaze.

Serves Newmark right for telling charities to stick to their knitting.He will have plenty of time to stick to his knitting now.

• Options

My new Blackberry is kaput - message to whips, please stop panicking - it is broken, not switched off

Those are not actually denials, but that doesn't matter, Reckless also denied it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Given the way they act toward the last government, one might almost suspect the current leadership have forgotten Ed M was even an MP at the time, let alone a Minister and an adviser at the heart of the project for years before that.
    They act like Thatcher was in office until a couple of weeks ago.
  • Options

Remind me, who is the Shadow Home Secretary?
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, I really like old Tom and Jerry cartoons. It's a shame they aren't shown much any more.
  • Options
    Mr. Corporeal, I prefer 70s and 80s music to the 90s. I think it's been in general decline for a while.
  • Options
    We should have a PB poll.

Which decade had the best music?

70s?

80s?

90s?
  • Options
    Who else made a tidy sum on betting on UKIP having more than 5 MPs at the next GE? After all this is a betting site.

A friend came over to watch the Ryder Cup today, he made more money on UKIP after I made him watch some of conference, he got his bet on before Reckless came on stage, all of about five minutes after he put his bet on, he is quite chuffed with his 25% return.
  • Options

There is a long tradition of Tories being caught in sex scandals and Labour in financial ones!
    True, Doc, that is the perceived wisdom, though I am not actually sure that it is correct. Anyway as sex scandals go this latest one seems pretty tame. A sad pervert sharing a few pictures on the internet? Its not actually in the same league as orgies in country houses and sharing one's mistress with the enemy defence attaché, is it?
  • Options

Mr. Corporeal, I prefer 70s and 80s music to the 90s. I think it's been in general decline for a while.

Eh, I think a lot of it is hindsight, and also the fracturing of any kind of monoculture.

There's a lot of great music out there, and all at your fingertips. It's a question of preference and finding it.
  • Options
    Just watched this interview with Reckless. UKIP supporters start chanting 'Nigel, Nigel' and 'Ukip, Ukip' like marauding football hooligans. Reckless palpably embarrassed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11125635/Second-Tory-MP-Mark-Reckless-joins-Ukip.html
  • Options

70s?

80s?

90s?

Easy, the 70s.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

isam said:

Tory sleaze is back.As well as being nasty,the Tories have a history of sleaze.

Serves Newmark right for telling charities to stick to their knitting.He will have plenty of time to stick to his knitting now.

He told fake charities to do one. That's still a mark in his favour.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Jim Waterson ‏@jimwaterson 2m
    Time to watch the Sunday papers for another bit of Tory fun. Brooks Newmark MP quits over sending "inappropriate pics" online. Old school.

Strange. Chris 'Underpants' Bryant didn't resign.
    Ah, but that didn't involve those delicate flowers called women...

And being sleazy and gay is just 'freedom of expression', don't you know.
  • Options

True, Doc, that is the perceived wisdom, though I am not actually sure that it is correct. Anyway as sex scandals go this latest one seems pretty tame. A sad pervert sharing a few pictures on the internet? Its not actually in the same league as orgies in country houses and sharing one's mistress with the enemy defence attaché, is it?
    I think there might be a great generational divide on the matter of whether he's a 'sad pervert'.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited September 2014

70s?

80s?

90s?

Oh, there's no doubt about that, has to be the 80s. I mean, with both Le Nozze di Figaro and Don Giovanni, it's no contest.
  • Options
    corporeal said:

Eh, I think a lot of it is hindsight, and also the fracturing of any kind of monoculture.

There's a lot of great music out there, and all at your fingertips. It's a question of preference and finding it.
    Would that apply to politicians as well I wonder? As much as I deride out identikit political leadership classes, I get really skeptical when told only people of real conviction, intelligence, vision and insight used to run things in the olden days. Except the opponents. They were as terrible as ever.
  • Options

70s?

80s?

90s?

70s without any doubt.
  • Options
    Brooks Newmark MP ‏@TweetBrooks 22 Jul 2013

By making access to online pornography opt-in, @David_Cameron has taken a huge step forward in protecting our children
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Those are not actually denials, but that doesn't matter, Reckless also denied it.
    Dorries jumping wouldn't be a loss.

The party of Neil Hamilton are welcome to have her.
  • Options

It reminds me of Orwells essay "the decline of the English murder"

Just like a lecherous Lord is not in the same league as the LDs shooting a dog...

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Itajai said:

Hugh said:

Itajai said:

felix said:

Floater said:

If they can get a Labour Mp to defect.....

If that were to happen then all hell could break loose by next May. However, all they are likely to achieve is a Labour government under Ed Miliband which will keep us in Europe and really trash the economy. Ironically this will be especially bad for all of the pensioners who are seduced by the UKIP message. It'd all be very funny were it not so utterly tragic for the country.

All the useful idiots voting Labour will also be shafted. This especially includes the wwc.
    The working class are idiots.

Official Tory policy, really.
    They are if they vote Labour. Despite years of voting in Labour MPs and rotten councils, these areas consistently remain the worst places to live in Britain. Liverpool, Glasgow, Rotherham, the sad list goes on.
    No, no, no Labour stood up to be counted when people were being sexually abused on an industrial scale ... oh
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Who else made a tidy sum on betting on UKIP having more than 5 MPs at the next GE? After all this is a betting site.

A friend came over to watch the Ryder Cup today, he made more money on UKIP after I made him watch some of conference, he got his bet on before Reckless came on stage, all of about five minutes after he put his bet on, he is quite chuffed with his 25% return.

:-) Nice timing.

A number of us have been touting the UKIP>5seats bet for a long time, and only a week or so ago, Pulpstar and one or two other serious punters were saying that laying No Seats at 6/1 was easy money. You won't be seeing those odds again for some time.
  • Options

Just watched this interview with Reckless. UKIP supporters start chanting 'Nigel, Nigel' and 'Ukip, Ukip' like marauding football hooligans. Reckless palpably embarrassed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/ukip/11125635/Second-Tory-MP-Mark-Reckless-joins-Ukip.html

Ah yes, enthusiasm, you probably forget what it's like.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    AndyJS said:

I tend to think of what's happening at the moment as the revenge of the lower-middle and upper-working classes. They've been either ignored or ridiculed ever since John Major left Downing Street in favour of the concerns of those at the very top and very bottom of society.

It's the Tories' failure to engage with the C1/C2s that has meant they have struggled to build a winning electoral platform for 20 years.

I don't believe that group is especially political - they was competant and efficient government, sensible economic policy (and I include immigration within that) and a leader who appears engaged with their needs.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

corporeal said:

Would that apply to politicians as well I wonder? As much as I deride out identikit political leadership classes, I get really skeptical when told only people of real conviction, intelligence, vision and insight used to run things in the olden days. Except the opponents. They were as terrible as ever.
    Oh undoubtedly. But I think a lot of that is also the level of scrutiny they're faced with now, far exceeding anything back then.
  • Options
    Still this scandal has nothing on the Stephen Milligan or Mark Oaten scandals.
  • Options

Speedy said:

To be fair to her, she's insufficiently racist. She is stupid enough, though.
  • Options
    Swiss_Bob said:

Ah yes, enthusiasm, you probably forget what it's like.
    I've never experienced the enthusiasm of the mob, and I never intend to.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,959

Don't PaddyPower actually have a market on 1st Contact? We could easily recoup the money on a cruise, the odds on it happening soon must be pretty long...
  • Options
    Presumably voters are going to be wondering why a Tory MP is joining UKIP over a sex scandal...
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771

Speedy said:

I just find comments like that bizarre.

how many more do you want rid ofand what are you going to do when you are starting tens of seats down. The criticism that the Tories don't want to win enough isn't that hard to believe.

You don't win elections by telling everyone to fk off.
  • Options

70s?

80s?

90s?

Oh, there's no doubt about that, has to be the 80s. I mean, with both Le Nozze di Figaro and Don Giovanni, it's no contest.
    And the 80's had both Maidens "Trooper" and Motorheads "Bomber"...

Though by 1985 it was all a bit Ed Miliband.

Could I go for the decade 76-85?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,028
    edited September 2014
    Mr. Eagles, 70s.

Edited extra stuff: I do like stuff from the 80s (often listen to Absolute80s) but the 70s perhaps edges it.
  • Options
    Swiss_BobSwiss_Bob Posts: 619
    edited September 2014

Swiss_Bob said:

:-) Nice timing.

A number of us have been touting the UKIP>5seats bet for a long time, and only a week or so ago, Pulpstar and one or two other serious punters were saying that laying No Seats at 6/1 was easy money. You won't be seeing those odds again for some time.
    Thank you Mr Punter, it's the betting and the politics that interest me, I bet on Chelsea against my team, City, betting is a terrible thing, how I cheered when Chelsea scored, I of course took my profit immediately.

Stupidly I did not listen to my friend (the one who made a tidy profit today on UKIP) who via Skype asked me what were the odds on Frank Lampard scoring, I ignored him, doh!
  • Options

70s?

80s?

90s?

70s without any doubt.
    60's
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,322
    What is going to be absolutely key is how OFCOM is going to react to two UKIP by-election wins by incumbents.

If OFCOM gives UKIP major party status then all bets are off - and the debates will probably be off too.

If OFCOM doesn't give UKIP major party status then the bubble may well still deflate - because people have very, very short memories - most people struggle to remember things which happened a few days ago, let alone months ago.
  • Options

Oh isn't it awful to see the public engaged by politics
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,771
    Charles said:

AndyJS said:

I tend to think of what's happening at the moment as the revenge of the lower-middle and upper-working classes. They've been either ignored or ridiculed ever since John Major left Downing Street in favour of the concerns of those at the very top and very bottom of society.

It's the Tories' failure to engage with the C1/C2s that has meant they have struggled to build a winning electoral platform for 20 years.

I don't believe that group is especially political - they was competant and efficient government, sensible economic policy (and I include immigration within that) and a leader who appears engaged with their needs.
    Spot on Charles.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053

Presumably voters are going to be wondering why a Tory MP is joining UKIP over a sex scandal...

You really must think that most people are utterly stupid and thick. No wonder the world of the elites is due a thorough shellacking.
  • Options
    ItajaiItajai Posts: 721
    edited September 2014
    Charles said:

AndyJS said:

The problem is the Tories despise them. Well, so do the LDs and Labour. Not yet sure about UKIP.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

You really must think that most people are utterly stupid and thick. No wonder the world of the elites is due a thorough shellacking.
    I think it might have been a joke. I thought it was funny at least.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    edited September 2014

Don't we live in exciting times?!

Not really. It's just the "The Right" ripping itself apart again. This has been going on for the majority of my life (they started doing it when I was 13 and I'm 37 next few week)

More a case of same old, same old.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

What is going to be absolutely key is how OFCOM is going to react to two UKIP by-election wins by incumbents.

If OFCOM gives UKIP major party status then all bets are off - and the debates will probably be off too.

If OFCOM doesn't give UKIP major party status then the bubble may well still deflate - because people have very, very short memories - most people struggle to remember things which happened a few days ago, let alone months ago.

I agree it'll be important, (I do my best to keep an eye on it).
  • Options
    I see UKIP have taken my SDP comparison on board.

i) not high enough in the polls to win anything under FPTP..
    ii) No big hitters as leaders, except perhaps Farage, to gain a seat through personality or name recognition...
    iii) No defections

iii) was the only way they were ever going to mount a breakout. It looks like they've timed it quite well....
  • Options

Speedy said:

I just find comments like that bizarre.

how many more do you want rid ofand what are you going to do when you are starting tens of seats down. The criticism that the Tories don't want to win enough isn't that hard to believe.

You don't win elections by telling everyone to fk off.
    Why on earth would I be bothered? I'm not a member of the Tory party or an employee, makes little difference to my life. Entertaining to watch all the fun and games.

She looks as if she'd fit in perfectly with the other crackpots in UKIP.

• Options
    Itajai said:

Charles said:

AndyJS said:

The problem is the Tories despise them. Well, so do the LDs and Labour. Not yet sure about UKIP.
    Er, UKIP seem to be to be mostly comprised of C1/C2s, and there's nothing wrong with that, unless you hate the working class.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Well quite - another numpty. TBH, I'm glad they effed off to the Kippers - now they've no voice in the Tories.
    alex said:

Reckless listed a whole load of things that the Conservatives couldn't do, even if they wanted to, because they don't have a Parliamentary majority. Said he "couldn't promise it as a Conservative, but could as UKIP".

Wonder where he thinks these 330+ UKIP seats are going to come from...

• Options

Political Manoeuvres in the Dark?
  • Options

70s?

80s?

90s?

70s without any doubt.

Well this is the obvious one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl-ai9HuR60

• Options
    edited September 2014

The Milligan scandal was the worst of them.
    But nothing beats Profumo.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, 70s.

Edited extra stuff: I do like stuff from the 80s (often listen to Absolute80s) but the 70s perhaps edges it.

Of course it does, it was revolutionary, the eighties and nineties were not.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeK said:

I think it might have been a joke. I thought it was funny at least.
    Maybe - but most people are utterly stupid and thick.

Lick their thumb and stick it in the air bastards.

PB thread choking is making me grumpy.

• Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Just watched Mark Reckless' speech in its entirety.

Almost thou persuadest me to be a Kipper.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

In what way is Brooks Newmark a perv? If all he has done is send some naughty selfies?

Everyone now sends everyone else naked pics, practically from the off. It's what young people DO. Go on fetlife.com, okcupid and Tinder, if you need proof.

People want to see the merchandise. Technology enables that. So it happens. All the time, everywhere.

I sort of agree. It rates as a 'scandal', if hardly up there with the great sex scandals of days past, but from what I can tell there's nothing particularly perverted in his actions. Sending such photos while in his sort of position, where to do so would come back to hurt him, is silly more than anything else.

Reminds me of the joke about poor descriptions of such incidents in media and the like, with people in videos or photos showing them in a 'compromising' position, when for all we know, that was exactly the position they had wanted to be in, at the time.

• Options
    MikeK said:

No, I think some Kippers are remarkably lacking in a sense of humour.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Stonehouse was fun...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

hunchman said:

Just watched the BBC clip of Reckless announcing his defection. Was more akin to the Darts at the Ally Palace brimming with energy! What a contrast with the dreary clapped out Labour conference in Manchester this week. And you can't imagine the atmosphere at the Tory conference being much different.

"Clapped out" or not, Labour's sweeping to power next year thanks to the recklessness of Reckless.
    People rarely turn their back on something because its functional and working. In any case if the Tories were good enough the defection of Reckless would be immaterial.

Why do the Tories always have to blame everybody else? Its UKIPs fault they will lose the election, its the Libdems fault they can't do the policies they want. Its the EU's fault they can't do anything about immigration etc etc etc

Given the Tories seem to have no control over their own fate why would anyone want to vote for them?When are the Tories going to grow a pair and take responsibility for their own failures?
    Well I'm a floating voter looking at the British Right once again tearing themselves apart as they've done time and time again since 1990 and the fact is, Tory or UKIP, they are totally unfit for government.

At least Labour hold themselves together even when they despise the things their leader is doing.

Each of these defections just makes me more likely to vote Labour next year - And I'm someone that is sympathetic to having a referendum on the EU, but the Right is just so pathetically self-indulgent that they really deserve nothing more than irrelevance and oblivion which is exactly what they will get when Ed's putting up the curtains in Downing St.
    Why, as a floating voter, do the most exotic beasts leaving make the menagerie less attractive?
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    Swiss_Bob said:

70s?

80s?

90s?

Easy, the 70s.
    Absolutely. Though I do admire Richard N's elegant response...

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Ditto - I'm a pragmatist here and always.

Jonathan said:

It's all very Tea Party esque. It will be painful initially, but if the Tories lose the right - and it doesn't kill them - they will be better off long term.

To be honest I'm not particularly fussed about the Conservative Party per se - that is just a means to an end. It's the prospect of going back to a period, which could be quite a long period, of bad government, in circumstances which are going to be particularly difficult, which is my concern. I wouldn't be so worried if Labour looked vaguely in a state fit to govern even in their own terms. They don't.
  • Options
    Speedy said:

Rubbish! Profumo was just a bloke going through a bit of a mid-life crisis - proto David Mellor stuff.
  • Options
    As an aside, didn't UKIP whine about their conference being "disrupted" by parliament sitting but planned to do this to the Conservatives. A touch hypocritical perhaps.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,949
    SeanT said:

In what way is Brooks Newmark a perv? If all he has done is send some naughty selfies?

Everyone now sends everyone else naked pics, practically from the off. It's what young people DO. Go on fetlife.com, okcupid and Tinder, if you need proof.

People want to see the merchandise. Technology enables that. So it happens. All the time, everywhere.

People still seem to be very uptight about sex. We should all become more like Roger and let it all hang out!
  • Options
    Honestly - is it too much to ask for a bit of Raf bombing action on our Tv on Saturday to keep us entertained. Presumably most people are playing Modern Warfare X (PS, or X)
This discussion has been closed.