Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As the results start to come in it’s a great night for UKIP

Comments

• Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Grandiose said:

kle4 said:

Seriously, I'm not being trolled when I'm reading that the Tories could push Labour into third?

Not trolled, but apparently London and othes will see Labour through.

I wasn't convinced by Kellner. London is, however, possibly the exception because of the exceptionally low UKIP % there. Labour gains in e.g. West Midlands likely to be the same as elsewhere IMO.
    London *might* have a much bigger Ukip Euro vote than the locals.
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,784
    If Labour come 3rd, is Ed M a goner?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited May 2014
    I can confirm that Tower Hamlets are still counting the local elections, 3 days after other councils had already finished. I assume this will delay the London Euro result, unless they've got 2 separate counting centres which I doubt.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,390
    So where does EdM do for his photostunt ?

Eating a bacon buttie at Doncaster Market
    Comparing prices in a Doncaster supermarket
    Looking 'interested' in a Doncaster factory
    Paying pool in a Doncaster miners welfare
    'Enjoying' a pint in a Doncaster pub
    Looking at a motorway sign to Doncaster and wondering where it is
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

A bottle of Crimean champagne in one hand, a cigar in the other and Ozric Tentacles on the cd player.

It's that sort of night.

Ozric Tentacles, i remember them from the Convoy years.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,289
    I doubt a UKIP MEP gain in Scotland will bode well for the Yes vote betting in the Indy Ref?

fitalass said:

Twitter
    Rob Murray ‏@robmurray11 3m
    East Renfrewshire council: @ScotTories 8,044, Labour: 7,623, SNP: 6,564 #EPScot

CON win in Jim Murphy's seat.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,424

Why do people think there is any chance whatsoever of Labour finishing 3rd?

Because the average swing Con to Lab in the announced results so far is not enough.

Lab will probably get a very big boost from London and get over the line, but they're well behind the run rate in Scotland, and the South East is not a natural hunting ground.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,289
    What is the overall state of affairs when it comes to vote share?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 115,481
    Looking at the front pages, there's a danger for Farage, that UKIP get lumped in with Front national.
  • Options
    SpeedySpeedy Posts: 12,100
    edited May 2014
    AndyJS said:

I can confirm that Tower Hamlets are still counting the local elections, 3 days after other councils had already finished. I assume this will delay the London Euro result, unless they've got 2 separate counting centres which I doubt.

Will we have the results for Tower Hamlets before the next general election?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @hugorifkind: Scotland's Ukip MEP is a man who told me I was being racist against kebabs when I said Farage looked like one. Good luck with that, guys.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    stjohn said:

No.

Let's not get carried away. All the present party leaders will fight the GE.

• Options
    More crap from London - the London returning officer is refusing to release individual council results. We will have to wait for the London-wide result, and since Tower Hamlets are still counting the local elections that could be a long time in the future.
  • Options

Looking at the front pages, there's a danger for Farage, that UKIP get lumped in with Front national.

Would be no worse than the coverage they had in the week up to this vote.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,157
    edited May 2014
    stjohn said:

If Con comes 3rd is Dave a goner ?

Yet one of them must come 3rd.
  • Options
    SocratesSocrates Posts: 10,322
    Scott_P said:

@hugorifkind: Scotland's Ukip MEP is a man who told me I was being racist against kebabs when I said Farage looked like one. Good luck with that, guys.

He sounds quite funny!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,386
    London returning officer not allowing ANY London results to be issued until all of London is 100% complete.
  • Options
    Lets go to bed London will not declare a single result until Tower Hamlets are finished, so nothing until Tuesday at least.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    edited May 2014

IMHO Lab will be circa 26% and Con 22 or 23%

The relative change after 6 regions is Con -3.4%, Lab +8.2%...

Adds to 11.6%.

Con were 12.0% ahead of Lab in 2009.

Therefore Lab need to do better than average (in aggregate) against the Tories in SE, LON, WM, NW and SCO.
  • Options
    JBriskinJBriskin Posts: 2,380
    fitalass said:

You're Not Allowed Egg And Sausage Butties

• Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    LOL hibs!

Hibs = salmond!!

Goodnight!!!

• Options
    Isabel Hardman @sighs@
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    fitalass said:

I doubt a UKIP MEP gain in Scotland will bode well for the Yes vote betting in the Indy Ref?

fitalass said:

Twitter

I look forward to Darling welcoming UKIP into the Better Together team :)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536
    Whilst UKIP will crow for a while, the true victors of these elections have - as ever - been the Can't Be Arsed Party......
  • Options

What, accused being racist?
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

IMHO Lab will be circa 26% and Con 22 or 23%

The relative change after 6 regions is Con -3.4%, Lab +8.2%...

Adds to 11.6%.

Con were 12.0% ahead of Lab in 2009.

Therefore Lab need to do better than average against the Tories in SE, LON, WM, NW and SCO.
    And they're well behind the run rate in Scotland - they need Jos Butler to come in and smack it around in London if they want to chase this down.
  • Options
    Final two official declarations of the night come in. SNP retain West Lothian, and Conservatives retain Scottish Borders. West Lothian - SNP: 14,279, Labour: 13,932, UKIP: 5,228. Scottish Borders - Conservatives: 9,972, SNP: 6,775, Lib Dems: 5,465.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    MrJones said:

Grandiose said:

kle4 said:

Seriously, I'm not being trolled when I'm reading that the Tories could push Labour into third?

I wasn't convinced by Kellner. London is, however, possibly the exception because of the exceptionally low UKIP % there. Labour gains in e.g. West Midlands likely to be the same as elsewhere IMO.
    In the outer london boroughs that will certainly have been the case..
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,954
    edited May 2014

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

My guess is that London will yet again help out a very ordinary Labour campaign and get them into second, if only just.

The SNP are currently 20K short of that third seat. It is looking increasingly unlikely. I don't know how much this can be read across to the Indyref but it is not exactly nationalism rampant. The Unionist parties are going to have a larger share despite the demise of the Scottish Lib Dems.

Do SNP plus Greens get over 40%?

No. About 36% at the moment. As I say not unencouraging for a unionist.

There's certainly no tidal wave for the nationalist parties, is there?

No - but tsunamis go both ways. And remember this is a party political election not the indy ref, and that both SNP and the Coalition are the parties of government at present, in the middle of their terms.

SNP down (so far) -0.07 percentage points (I think the BBC means), and still first, with same no of MEPs - and almost got a third. Tories down 3.52 points, lose 1/4 of their MEPs. LDs lose 100% of MEPs. [Edit: on results so far.] I think the Tories and LDs would have been happy with the kind of 'defeat' inflicted on 'Salmond'!

• Options

Socrates said:

AndyJS said:

Scott_P said:

@SamCoatesTimes: We’re not expecting the result from London until 1am, because Tower Hamlets is still, still, counting. h/t labourlist

Big surprise. Tower Hamlets council are an absolute disgrace in every way.
    Is there not going to be an investigation into the turnout nearly doubling in one election cycle? The whole postal voting seems an affront to the secret ballot too.
    Embrace your inner multicultural and appreciate how the electoral practices of Bangladesh are enriching British politics.
    I was speaking to a guy of Bengali descent the other day, who was an atheist, so felt fairly disillusioned with his local Tower Hamlets community. He said he always rolled his eyes at how much people in the area seemed to praise Saudi Arabia as a perfect society. That depressed me.
  • Options
    kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    if clegg resigns, could a more left leaning libdem leader cause some lab lib switchers to
    return and cause labour share to drop?
  • Options
    Scotland: 2 SNP 2 LAB 1 CON 1 UKIP
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Britain Elects 2014 ‏@britainelects 40s

Liberal Democrats have HELD their MEP in the South East.
  • Options

Did we expect anything less from the mainstream media, who are obsessed with smearing UKIP? I suppose they will bury deep down the fact that UKIP refuse to work with them, if they mention it at all.
  • Options
    JamesMJamesM Posts: 221
    Surely this is no too bad for the Conservatives? Don't get me wrong losing seats and votes is bad, but they seem to be down 4% on a 2009 score when they were an opposition just a year from the General Election. They have been in government for 4 years and have seen UKIP rise massively, but have not suffered as badly as one would have thought...no?
  • Options
    timmo said:

MrJones said:

Grandiose said:

kle4 said:

In the outer london boroughs that will certainly have been the case..
    In my inner London borough UKIP weren't on the ballot for the council elections, so who knows what the read across is.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    @kjohnw

Possibly, but more likely they would see it as a cynical attempt at buying them back.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

London returning officer not allowing ANY London results to be issued until all of London is 100% complete.

Why on Earth is he doing this? Is he a Lib Dem afraid of revealing them losing there too?
  • Options
    JamesM said:

Surely this is no too bad for the Conservatives? Don't get me wrong losing seats and votes is bad, but they seem to be down 4% on a 2009 score when they were an opposition just a year from the General Election. They have been in government for 4 years and have seen UKIP rise massively, but have not suffered as badly as one would have thought...no?

Yes, Labour are toast in 2015.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

My guess is that London will yet again help out a very ordinary Labour campaign and get them into second, if only just.

The SNP are currently 20K short of that third seat. It is looking increasingly unlikely. I don't know how much this can be read across to the Indyref but it is not exactly nationalism rampant. The Unionist parties are going to have a larger share despite the demise of the Scottish Lib Dems.

Do SNP plus Greens get over 40%?

No. About 36% at the moment. As I say not unencouraging for a unionist.

There's certainly no tidal wave for the nationalist parties, is there?

No - but tsunamis go both ways. And remember this is a party political election not the indy ref, and that both SNP and the Coalition are the parties of government at present, in the middle of their terms.

SNP down (so far) -0.07 percentage points (I think the BBC means), and still first, with same no of MEPs - and almost got a third. Tories down 3.52 points, lose 1/4 of their MEPs. LDs lose 100% of MEPs. I think the Tories and LDs would have been happy with the kind of 'defeat' inflicted on 'Salmond'!

Shhh... let them whip themselves into a frenzy of SUKIP pleasure tonight. It'll be swiftly followed by their IndyRef hangover.
  • Options
    NW declaration...
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    Twitter sphere reporting LibDems have won an MEP in the southeast...
  • Options
    LDs on nearly 8% in SE.

Looks like UKIP 4, Con 3, Lab 1, Green 1, LD 1?
  • Options
    BBC needs bars not colour for their heat map.
    Not much colour contrast on TV.
  • Options
    North West incoming
  • Options
    What a comb over. Good effort lad
  • Options
    JamesM said:

@DPJHodges: Genuinely coming to the view broadcasters take no notice of their own coverage. No analysis of fact Ukip is not taking votes from Tories.

@DPJHodges: Ukip on 30%. Tory vote down just 3%.
  • Options

That'll be a change then.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    fitalass said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/events/vote2014/eu-uk-results
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Grandiose said:

SeanT said:

I've always said France was a nation of T*ssers.

Now they've proved it.

Front national win France.

Marine le Pen is a very different politician to her (undoubtedly unsavoury) father. She could be the Gerry Adams/Alex Salmond that leads a reprehensible and downright nasty party into respectable government.

We have seen the same process dozens of times, elsewhere.
    Marine is the acceptable face of a deeply unacceptable party.
    Sinn Fein used to be the electoral wing of the IRA, and SF leaders ordered the torture of execution of single mothers given to comforting dying British soldiers.

Sinn Fein are now an established party of NI government.

I see no reason why the mildly quasi-fascist party of the FN could not evolve into a relatively sensible party of French elite politics. This surely is the unique gift of democracy: it absorbs and tames the wild and violent radicals.

The difference is that Sinn Fein can hide behind the "peacemaker" tag by agreeing to a deal. Le Pen can't do that.
  • Options
    Big swing to Lab in North West. Very solid 2nd for UKIP
  • Options
    North West declaration:

Lab 594,063
    UKIP 481,932
    Con 351,000
    Green 123,075
    LD 105,487
    BNP 32,826
    Pirate 8,597
    NO2EU 5,402
    Soc Equ 5,067
  • Options
    Labour were always going to win in the NW with their strongholds in Manchester, Liverpool and Knowsley.
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    Remember this folks.
    A good proportion of the UKIP vote has "swing voter" stamped all over it.

Policies are being rewritten as we speak.
  • Options
    Wow. I knew the Lib Dems had done badly in terms of seats, but losing HALF of you vote. That's disastrous.
  • Options
    Do we have the numbers from Shetland and Gibraltar.

Might the yellow peril win top and bottom ?
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,496
    IOS said:

TSE

You are factually wrong UKIP did not win Ed Milibands seat. They won doncaster. Ed Milibands seat voted solidly Labour.

So yes, David does seem outlandish.

If UKIP are to stand a chance in Doncaster North, they need exactly the right candidate (a factor which doesn't apply in the Euros, of course). Without that, EdM will be safe.
  • Options
    @patrickwintour: The LDs say they have got one seat in the South East. They may be on the board.
  • Options
    Kippers get the last seat, good lads.
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    Socrates said:

Did we expect anything less from the mainstream media, who are obsessed with smearing UKIP? I suppose they will bury deep down the fact that UKIP refuse to work with them, if they mention it at all.
    They did a whole bit on exactly that just before interviewing Farage.
  • Options
    Bye bye Chris Davies MEP ,saviour of fish, pubs, cars, europe and mountain rescue.
  • Options
    All Scottish councils - with the exception of the Western Isles - have declared their results. As mentioned previously, the Western Isles will declare on Monday afternoon because they don't count votes on a Sunday.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,536
    Good news for the Lib Dems in the NW: they beat the BNP for that oh-so-important fifth place.....
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,010
    Northwest:
    3 UKIP
    3 Lab
    2 Con
  • Options
    edited May 2014

All Scottish councils - with the exception of the Western Isles - have declared their results. As mentioned previously, the Western Isles will declare on Monday afternoon because they don't count votes on a Sunday.

Must be nice living in a more relaxed age. (Not being sarcastic).
  • Options
    Combined right-wing vote tonight is 54%. Might be worth considering when people say we need to aim for median voter.
  • Options
    Labour now going to **** on about the BNP. Milliband comments laughable and get the due treatment.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Oh dear...laughs
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,018
    MikeL said:

LDs on nearly 8% in SE.

Between LD and 2nd Lab for last seat, I think. Depends on any areas still to come in.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,074
    The Labour 'victory' speech in NW region is drawing derision. No doubting they did well there, though.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,060
    North West Labour wins, UKIP second, Greens again beat UKIP. 3 Lab, 3 UKIP, 2 Tory, Griffin out, Greens again beat LDs
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,496

fitalass said:

fitalass said:

Twitter

I look forward to Darling welcoming UKIP into the Better Together team :)
    Why should the Euro-election change anything in that respect?
  • Options
    Eh_ehm_a_ehEh_ehm_a_eh Posts: 552
    JackW said:

Lib Dems won Shetland.

• Options
    Feeling a bit sorry for my parents at the moment who are both staunch LD supporters.
  • Options
    Even the sound system thinks Lib Dems are not worth a hearing.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,074
    Socrates said:

Combined right-wing vote tonight is 54%. Might be worth considering when people say we need to aim for median voter.

I'm not holding my breath.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 39,138
    Good result for Labour in NW.

But it looks like I might win my bet with Mr Fett.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,060
    Andy JS And his distant descendant, David Campbell Bannermann, the Tory-UKIP-Tory switcher, has retained his Eastern MEP seat tonight
  • Options
    UNS forecast update after 7 regions

UKIP 25
    Con 20
    Lab 19 (third in votes)
    LD 0
    Green 3

Tories ahead of Lab by 1.9% now
  • Options
    OK, so excluding the Western Isles (an SNP seat), the final(ish) tally is:

Scottish National Party 386,193 28.91% (-0.07)
    Labour 346,377 25.93% (+5.11)
    Conservative 230,569 17.26% (+0.39)
    UK Independence Party 139,687 10.46% (+5.23)
    Green 107,805 8.07 (+0.77)
    Liberal Democrat 95,076 7.12% (-4.42)
    Britain First 13,551 1.01% (n/a)
    British National Party 10,150 0.76% (-1.70)
    NO2EU 6,388 0.48% (-0.40)
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited May 2014

JackW said:

Lib Dems won Shetland.

..and down here for the reasons I gave upthread. Yes, top and bottom. Just nothing in between!

Edit: I meant on the previous thread, not upthread. Champagne is kicking in!

• Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,993
    Defeated Pox MEP - a "typical mid teem protest vote". Yes mate, losing all your seats happens to governing parties all the time.

Which cretin in party high command decided that "we're proud of our campaign" and "mid term protest" were suitable lines to take?
  • Options

MikeL said:

LDs on nearly 8% in SE.

Between LD and 2nd Lab for last seat, I think. Depends on any areas still to come in.
    Lab 14.96
    LD 7.91

LD look safe - comfortably above 50% of Lab.
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,018

JackW said:

Lib Dems won Shetland.

And Orkney, too, of course.
  • Options
    McMillan Scott.

Ewww.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,101
    JackW said:

Yes to both. Ladbrokes just tweeted:

Ladbrokes: Nick Clegg is 25/1 to be next Governor of Gibraltar
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    So in fact the Tories were well ahead of UKIP in Scotland, in contrast to the polls.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,686
    RodCrosby said:

UKIP 25
    Con 20
    Lab 19 (third in votes)
    LD 0
    Green 3

What kind of outperformance will Labour need in London to come second on votes?
  • Options
    Just updated the thread header with the North West result

Now 'scuse me whilst I'm go and cheer the fact Nick Griffin lost.
  • Options

JackW said:

Lib Dems won Shetland.

Thanks.

Will the apes on the Rock swing it for the LibDems ?

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Eh...pundits thought clegg beat farage?
  • Options
    Mark Ferguson ‏@Markfergusonuk 6m

D’hondt you want me baby? >> “@Conorpope: Nick Griffin will lose his seat tonight.

pic.twitter.com/hkmTVlMUIk”
  • Options
    Lib Dem line is now that the voters have made a terrible mistake and are now coming to realise that.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

UKIP 25
    Con 20
    Lab 19 (third in votes)
    LD 0
    Green 3

Are you sure Rod?

Lab got much better swing in NW - surely Lab position should have improved from previous forecast?
  • Options
    corporealcorporeal Posts: 2,549
    I've met Graham Watson a few times, liked him. Seemed a very decent bloke fwiw.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    They will have the last laugh when the rest of Europe including the UK mainland are burning in satans sulphurous fires.
    AndyJS said:

Must be nice living in a more relaxed age. (Not being sarcastic).
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    joncraigSKY ‏@joncraig 2m

SE region looks like 4 UKIP MEPs, 3 Tory, 1 Labour, 1 Green & 1 LibDem. Would probably be only Lib Dem elected across UK.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Correction (Sky figures changing)

UKIP 25
    Lab 20
    Con 19
    LD 0
    Green 3

Labour ahead again
  • Options