Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Locals 2014: Some of the highlights on a fast moving night

Comments

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,876

Take your tinfoil hat off!

The world is always changing, as are parties.

But those BNP voters have gone somewhere; and I do not think it is to the LibDems. Will it alter the development of UKIP? We shall see...

Get ready for extinction.
    Checks demographics of different party supporters......

• Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited May 2014
    Andypet said:

Professor Curtice on Today saying Ukip on about 25%, which is the same as last year. Labour 3% up on 2010 but considerably down on 2012 when similar seats were fought.

Last year was 22%, so 25% would be progress.

http://www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/RP13-30/local-elections-2013
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Andy, are you putting vote numbers up on your spreadsheet?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    My world is not disappearing. I think the long term future for the libDems is good; though there will be short term losses. The Tories will become more Europhobic and Euro-obsessed, Milibands Labour couldnt run a Whelk stall. The LibDems will be the sole sane centrist party after the 2015 cull.

But even if my forecast is wrong, after watching QT last night, Jeremy Browne was head and shoulders above the rest of the panel and I will be voting for people like him over the Roger Helmers and Neil Hamiltons of this country.

UKIP has gained a lot of councillors and new supporters tonight. Farages personnel management does not have a great track record, so we shall how effective he has been in keeping out the fruitcake tendency.

But those BNP voters have gone somewhere; and I do not think it is to the LibDems. Will it alter the development of UKIP? We shall see...

Get ready for extinction. You are a dinosaur and your world is disappearing fast - and about time too. All you have left is fear and smear and, as you may have noticed after yesterday, it won't work any more.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,029
    I think LAB have gained Merton from NOC.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Cambridge, popular vote:

Lab 14,802 (37.15%)
    LD 11,302 (28.36%)
    Con 6,603 (16.57)
    Green 5,700 (14.30%)
    Ind 1,113 (2.79%)
    UKIP 328 (0.82%)

Changes since 2010 locals:

Lab +14.98%
    LD -9.48%
    Con -5.92%
    Green -1.68%
    Ind +2.79%
    UKIP +0.41%

Swing, LD to Lab: 12.23%
  • Options
    Oliver_PBOliver_PB Posts: 397
    AndyJS said:

Cambridge, popular vote:

That's a very good result for Labour in a major target.
  • Options
    edited May 2014

My world is not disappearing. I think the long term future for the libDems is good; though there will be short term losses. The Tories will become more Europhobic and Euro-obsessed, Milibands Labour couldnt run a Whelk stall. The LibDems will be the sole sane centrist party after the 2015 cull.

But even if my forecast is wrong, after watching QT last night, Jeremy Browne was head and shoulders above the rest of the panel and I will be voting for people like him over the Roger Helmers and Neil Hamiltons of this country.

UKIP has gained a lot of councillors and new supporters tonight. Farages personnel management does not have a great track record, so we shall how effective he has been in keeping out the fruitcake tendency.

Get ready for extinction. You are a dinosaur and your world is disappearing fast - and about time too. All you have left is fear and smear and, as you may have noticed after yesterday, it won't work any more.
    Alas, you've long passed peak LD councillor numbers. It's been all downhill since 2008. :-(

http://www.libdemvoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/local-elections-councillors-over-time.png
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    CON are doing well in Richmond-upon-Thames, 4 gains so far (5 if you include the gain of the seat from a UKIP defector).
  • Options
    An interesting perspective. What is UKIP going to do about the issue? Perhaps we could import Ukranian and Thai prostitutes so as to not have British jobs for British workers...
    MrJones said:

I was saying that I hope the kippers do not inherit the BNP mentality! hardly a smear!

I know BNP members are not allowed in UKIP, but former voters are.

Where other than UKIP have these 20 000 BNP votes gone? BNP got 8%+ in the last Euros, probably Will get around 1% this year.

Looks like all the BNP voters have gone kipper. Lets hope that does not change the party too much too much.

Amazing. Even now still trying the smears and fear mongering. Just to repeat, UKIP is the only party that actively bans former BNP members from membership. The BNP will not have any effect on UKIP.
    Of course it is a smear. It is a classic 'are you thinking what I am thinking' comment.

Of course it is exactly what we should expect given that the coalition supporters still haven't grasped that the world is changing and you are utterly unequipped to deal with it.
    The BNP would never have got those votes in the first place if the political class hadn't ignored thousands of working class children being forced into prostitution.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    @MrSox - The LibDems will be the sole sane centrist party after the 2015 cull.

Define 'centrist' - surely they will remain a pro EU extremist party?
  • Options
    Basingstoke & Deane, popular vote:

Con 12,116 (33.04%)
    Lab 8,763 (23.89%)
    UKIP 7,618 (20.77%)
    LD 4,918 (13.41%)
    Ind 3,259 (8.89%)

Con -13.77%
    Lab +6.57%
    UKIP +20.21%
    LD -17.09%
    Ind +6.24%

Swing, Con to Lab: 10.17%
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523

An interesting perspective. What is UKIP going to do about the issue? Perhaps we could import Ukranian and Thai prostitutes so as to not have British jobs for British workers...

MrJones said:

I was saying that I hope the kippers do not inherit the BNP mentality! hardly a smear!

Where other than UKIP have these 20 000 BNP votes gone? BNP got 8%+ in the last Euros, probably Will get around 1% this year.

Looks like all the BNP voters have gone kipper. Lets hope that does not change the party too much too much.

Amazing. Even now still trying the smears and fear mongering. Just to repeat, UKIP is the only party that actively bans former BNP members from membership. The BNP will not have any effect on UKIP.
    Of course it is a smear. It is a classic 'are you thinking what I am thinking' comment.

Of course it is exactly what we should expect given that the coalition supporters still haven't grasped that the world is changing and you are utterly unequipped to deal with it.
    The BNP would never have got those votes in the first place if the political class hadn't ignored thousands of working class children being forced into prostitution.
    I expect Ukip success will bring out more and more comments like that.
  • Options
    I take the long view, there will be short term fluctuations.

And being in coalition was always going to lose some support from the other wing of the party, but overall I am pleased by the LD record in government. It is a lot better than UKIPs lamentable performance as elected MEPs.

Alas, you've long passed peak LD councillor numbers. It's been all downhill since 2008. :-(

http://www.libdemvoice.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/local-elections-councillors-over-time.png
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    MrJones said:

MrJones said:

I expect Ukip success will bring out more and more comments like that.
    Yes, I love the smell of sour grapes in the morning!
  • Options
    edited May 2014

I take the long view, there will be short term fluctuations.

And being in coalition was always going to lose some support from the other wing of the party, but overall I am pleased by the LD record in government. It is a lot better than UKIPs lamentable performance as elected MEPs.

You are aware the coalition began in 2010? The LD decline pre-dated it.

Not to worry, I'm sure there will be other statist, anti-democratic parties looking for support in the future too. A newly demerged SDP perhaps? Chin up.
  • Options
  • Options
    It may have escaped your notice, but there are other issues than Europe. The LDs stand for a fairer society, with government social support backed by sound finances. This was New Labours appeal, as was Dave Camerons., but both are in danger of abandoning the centre. The LDs policy on Europe is to change the EU from within, which is a policy supported by up to 80% of those polled, so not an extreme position.

• Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557

Spot on.

The English Tories are starting to look a lot like Scottish Labour 10 years ago. They are resorting to fear and smear as their little privates empires collapse around their heads. It'll get worse before it gets better.
  • Options
    Hertsmere, popular vote:

Con 11,024 (46.22%)
    Lab 5,629 (23.60%)
    UKIP 5,276 (22.12%)
    LD 1,314 (5.51%)
    Ind 446 (1.87%)
    Green 163 (0.68%)

Con -14.69%
    Lab -2.59%
    UKIP +22.12%
    LD -4.80%
    Ind +0.93%
    Green +0.68%
  • Options
    Four party politics in England now too. We are definitely in a new place. Looking at what has happened in past electoral cycles to make projection/predictions about this one will be increasingly futile. Roll on PR.
  • Options

Four party politics in England now too. We are definitely in a new place. Looking at what has happened in past electoral cycles to make projection/predictions about this one will be increasingly futile. Roll on PR.

Yawn. Everything that ever happens ever seems to be a cue for the usual suspects to drone on about P bloody R.
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    In other news, Labour and Tories tied in You Gov
    http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/05/23/update-labour-and-conservative-tied/
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Lest I be accused of belittling UKIP's progress in the NE, I do think they will become the de facto Opposition up here. But there will be slim pickings compared to down south.
  • Options
    Meanwhile, its 'business as usual' in Scotland (I'd missed that Salmond blithely assumes that rUK tax payers will carry on funding Scottish University research post-separation):

Scotland’s universities are being prevented from going public with their “grave concerns” about independence because they rely on SNP ministers for their funding, according to an extraordinary letter signed by some of the world’s most eminent medical academics....

...The Nationalists have claimed that Scotland would continue to receive a disproportionately large amount of UK Research Council grants after separation but this was rejected by the letter’s signatories, who are based at Scotland’s five universities with medical schools.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10850366/Scotlands-universities-prevented-from-speaking-out-against-independence.html
  • Options

It'll get worse before it gets better.
    Remind you of anyone?

The SNP used its parliamentary majority to water down crucial concerns about an independent Scotland's membership of the European Union, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.....

Sources closes to the European and External Relations Committee claimed the behaviour showed the SNP was censoring legitimate debate about government policy in the run up to the independence referendum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/10850525/SNP-uses-majority-to-stifle-criticism-of-Alex-Salmonds-EU-membership-stance.html
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

Even more than in the past PR requires turkeys to vote for Christmas. I don't see it happening - there are enough different variants of PR for confusion to be used to delay any change.
  • Options

It may have escaped your notice, but there are other issues than Europe. The LDs stand for a fairer society, with government social support backed by sound finances. This was New Labours appeal, as was Dave Camerons., but both are in danger of abandoning the centre. The LDs policy on Europe is to change the EU from within, which is a policy supported by up to 80% of those polled, so not an extreme position.

Do you have a link to that EU poll please?

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @benedictbrogan: London population is 'well educated', which is why Ukip hasn't done well there, says Ukip's @SuzanneEvans1. Eh?

@paulwaugh: UKIP spkswoman @SuzanneEvans1 lost her Merton seat: 'We do hv a more media savvy, well educated population in London"

@DPJHodges: UKIP spokesman "We don't tend to do well in London because it's cultural, educated and young". Their words. Not mine...
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,022
    edited May 2014
    Scott_P said:

@benedictbrogan: London population is 'well educated', which is why Ukip hasn't done well there, says Ukip's @SuzanneEvans1. Eh?

@paulwaugh: UKIP spkswoman @SuzanneEvans1 lost her Merton seat: 'We do hv a more media savvy, well educated population in London"

@DPJHodges: UKIP spokesman "We don't tend to do well in London because it's cultural, educated and young". Their words. Not mine...

She said 'we haven't managed to get our message across in London'. I think, in fact, they've managed to do that only too well.
  • Options
    I doubt that rUK would fund foreign universities, even Scottish ones where rUK students are entitled to study with the same fees as Scots.

Meanwhile, its 'business as usual' in Scotland (I'd missed that Salmond blithely assumes that rUK tax payers will carry on funding Scottish University research post-separation):

Scotland’s universities are being prevented from going public with their “grave concerns” about independence because they rely on SNP ministers for their funding, according to an extraordinary letter signed by some of the world’s most eminent medical academics....

...The Nationalists have claimed that Scotland would continue to receive a disproportionately large amount of UK Research Council grants after separation but this was rejected by the letter’s signatories, who are based at Scotland’s five universities with medical schools.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10850366/Scotlands-universities-prevented-from-speaking-out-against-independence.html

• Options
    GeoffM said:

Yawn. Everything that ever happens ever seems to be a cue for the usual suspects to drone on about P bloody R.

If you don't want to see UKIP's support reflected in Parliament FPTP is for you, I guess.

• Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 915
    Today programme running an Ed is crap campaign already this morning.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352
    Dr Fox,

Well done for supporting the LDs after a bad night, but your view that they want to reform the EU from within seems to have been lost in the posturing. Unless by reform, they mean seeing how much further they can push their tongues up the EU's wotsit.

I'm not against EU membership, but it has changed a lot in 40 years and does need reform. That probably is the majority view, so why didn't this populist policy get mentioned?
  • Options
    MikeK said:

A very good early morning (for me)
    So what happened to the famous late Green surge everyone was commenting on?

Not everything that appears in the opinion polls comes to pass.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    I see UKIP gained 11 in Basildon, 10 in Rotherham, 6 each in Southend and Portsmouth. We've still got a lot of UKIP-friendly authorities to declare. I'd expect 200-250 net gains by close of play.
  • Options
    Generally polls show a fairly even split on exit, but remaining in on improved terms (undefined) gains further support. Kippers fears Cameron referendum because they expect to lose it.
    GeoffM said:

• Options
    Bit of a 'double whammy' that then.....

I doubt that rUK would fund foreign universities, even Scottish ones where rUK students are entitled to study with the same fees as Scots.

• Options
    Haringey, popular vote:

Lab 33,147 (46.97%)
    LD 14,087 (19.96%)
    Green 11,235 (15.92%)
    Con 6,788 (9.62%)
    TUSC 2,298 (3.26%)
    UKIP 1,891 (2.68%)
    Ind 1,129 (1.60%)

Lab +7.71%
    LD -14.64%
    Green +5.29%
    Con -4.70%
    TUSC +3.06%
    UKIP +2.55%
    Ind +0.72%

Swing, LD to Lab: 11.17%
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Polling analyst John Curtice: "Labour not even doing as well as they were able to do earlier in this Parliament…[1/2]"

@paulwaugh: Curtice: "Reinforcing the doubts that hv always been..not entirely clear the British electorate regard Labour as a clear alternative" [2/2]
  • Options
    Have the Southampton results come in yet?
  • Options
    Strong result for the Lib Dems in Eastleigh bolsters the argument that they will be hard to shift in seats that they aren't defending against Labour, or in Scotland.
  • Options
    It was spoken about by Nick Clegg in the Euro debates. LDs have never taken the view that the EU is perfect, but the LD view is that positive engagement is the way to get change.

Better get going though, I am lecturing med students today, not just PBers!
    CD13 said:

Dr Fox,

Well done for supporting the LDs after a bad night, but your view that they want to reform the EU from within seems to have been lost in the posturing. Unless by reform, they mean seeing how much further they can push their tongues up the EU's wotsit.

I'm not against EU membership, but it has changed a lot in 40 years and does need reform. That probably is the majority view, so why didn't this populist policy get mentioned?

• Options

Strong result for the Lib Dems in Eastleigh bolsters the argument that they will be hard to shift in seats that they aren't defending against Labour, or in Scotland.

No it doesn't.

The Survation poll that predicted a UKIP win at the General Election, also predicted a LD win at the local election.

http://survation.com/still-a-3-way-marginal-new-polling-in-eastleigh-constituency-survation-for-alan-bown/
  • Options
    Which is why they want a Miliband government.....

Kippers fears Cameron referendum because they expect to lose it.

GeoffM said:

• Options
    @paulwaugh: Uh-oh, @DerbyshireUKIP attacks UKIP London's @SuzanneEvans1 for implying voters up north are 'thick'.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447
    A good night for Labour so far. A big swing to UKIP does the Tories far more damage than us, and demolishes the notion of a UNS. As for the LibDems, their only question is do they move to remove Clegg this summer, or do they want to keep being sliced in twain by their angry ex voters?
  • Options
    So over 1000 seats have been entered so far (getting a bit tired now!)

http://goo.gl/4AJwpD

Totally OT, but I hope the weather is nice back home, because I am currently in the middle of a howling blizzard!
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Why are there differences in the seat counts between Sky and the BBC? I found this irritating in the GE coverage and I'm finding it irritating now!
  • Options
    Carl Bildt tweets: Exit polls in the Netherlands shows gains for pro-Europeans and losses for anti-Europeans. Against expectations - and most welcome
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,060

A good night for Labour so far. A big swing to UKIP does the Tories far more damage than us, and demolishes the notion of a UNS. As for the LibDems, their only question is do they move to remove Clegg this summer, or do they want to keep being sliced in twain by their angry ex voters?

Betfair odds on overall majority suggests something else... big moves from Lab to Tory maj?
  • Options

So far, the only good results (ie above expectations) for Labour I can see are Hammersmith and Fulham, Haringey, and Cambridge.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,821

Very poor.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    RobD said:

Totally OT, but I hope the weather is nice back home, because I am currently in the middle of a howling blizzard!

Many thanks for your spreadsheet efforts. I particularly like the pie charts showing the proportions of elected councillors, 2010 and 2014.

Bit of a grey morning in Berkshire.

• Options
    It seems London and the university towns/cities are immune to UKIP, and strongly against. Interesting that this is where most of our leading politicians and media commentators tend to live.

So, the question remains: will they learn the right lessons from this?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thanks very much for this effort!
  • Options

A good night for Labour so far.

Not a view universally shared....

A Labour MP has attacked his own party leader for an “unforgivably unprofessional” campaign and not knowing his own cost of living after Thursday’s local and European elections.

Graham Stringer MP said the Labour party had not performed as well as it should have, both in terms of policies and organisation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/local-elections/10850921/Ed-Miliband-led-an-unforgivably-unprofessional-campaign-Labour-MP-says.html
  • Options
    Rotherham, popular vote:

UKIP 30,084 (44.26%)
    Lab 27,793 (40.89%)
    Con 6,482 (9.54%)
    Ind 1,886 (2.77%)
    Green 487 (0.72%)
    Respect 484 (0.71%)
    TUSC 395 (0.58%)
    Patients Not Profits 223 (0.33%)
    LD 136 (0.20%)

UKIP +31.89%
    Lab -3.49%
    Con -13.22%
    Ind -7.04%
    Green +0.46%
    LD -2.98%
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    Did any seats change hands in Sutton?
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Sean_F said:

So far, the only good results (ie above expectations) for Labour I can see are Hammersmith and Fulham, Haringey, and Cambridge.
    I believe the poster is suggesting that a big increase in the UKIP vote represents, in itself, a good night for Labour.
  • Options

It seems London and the university towns/cities are immune to UKIP, and strongly against. Interesting that this is where most of our leading politicians and media commentators tend to live.

I imagine that the response will be a high degree of preening self-regard.
  • Options
    Stuart Dickson: I am a huge unionist. I love Britain and the UK. However, you posted something last night that made me think. I now feel I do understand how Scots may have felt during the Thatcher/Major years.

Even I today am feeling slightly distant and alienated from London. And I live in the south-east, and work there. It feels like a different world, and governs us all in so many ways. Ever so slightly arrogantly and contemptuously.
  • Options
    Millsy said:

Did any seats change hands in Sutton?

LDs hold Sutton.
  • Options
    MillsyMillsy Posts: 900
    AndyJS said:

Rotherham, popular vote:

UKIP 30,084 (44.26%)
    Lab 27,793 (40.89%)
    Con 6,482 (9.54%)
    Ind 1,886 (2.77%)
    Green 487 (0.72%)
    Respect 484 (0.71%)
    TUSC 395 (0.58%)
    Patients Not Profits 223 (0.33%)
    LD 136 (0.20%)

UKIP +31.89%
    Lab -3.49%
    Con -13.22%
    Ind -7.04%
    Green +0.46%
    LD -2.98%

Best result out there for Ukip, especially in the north? Looks like they won 10 of 21 seats on offer?
  • Options
    Nice trolling from Rochdale...

Rafael Behr‏@rafaelbehr·5 mins
    Hmm. Big slice of vote against govt parties not going to main opposition a year before gen election. Not good results for Labour.
  • Options
    Rafael Behr: Hmm. Big slice of vote against govt parties not going to main opposition a year before gen election. Not good results for Labour.
  • Options
    CON up 2 so far on Kingston-upon-Thames, 27 left to remain. A net gain of three is required to take it from the LDs.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,352

I wonder where all these Ukip voters in Rotherham are flocking from?
  • Options
    Oliver_PB said:

Sean_F said:

I believe the poster is suggesting that a big increase in the UKIP vote represents, in itself, a good night for Labour.
    Labour have lost fewer seats to UKIP than the Conservatives have, but they've still lost a substantial number.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,158
    Birmingham Erdington's village idiot, aka Mr Harman:

"I expect a significant protest vote for UKIP meaning a bad night for the Conservatives and the Lib Dems."

Its not just the Conservatives and LibDems that UKIP voters are protesting against.

But that's something your missus doesn't want to understand is it.
  • Options

@AndrewSparrow: John Curtice says Labour doing worse than 2 years ago - http://t.co/xjNrb1fI4U
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I imagine that the response will be a high degree of preening self-regard.
    I'm actually quite interested as to how my soft left friends on Facebook, who live in London, will react. They are intelligent, fun and thoughtful people. They should ask themselves some interesting But they just see red where UKIP is concerned.

So, I'm not holding my breath; I expect a similar angry reaction as some had when the AV vote was lost. But I'm not going to stop hoping I'm wrong.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    Scott_P said:

@DPJHodges: UKIP spokesman "We don't tend to do well in London because it's cultural, educated and young".

Their words. Not mine...

The Tories are being squeezed out of London too. Same reason?
  • Options
    Betfair is showing a big change in Tory vs Lab Maj this morning and yet most seats is moving a lot less albeit crossover is approaching...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: Uh-oh, @DerbyshireUKIP attacks UKIP London's @SuzanneEvans1 for implying voters up north are 'thick'.

"UKIP Mid Derbyshire ‏@DerbyshireUKIP 20m
    @paulwaugh @SuzanneEvans1 wrong again. She never said that. So less spin and accept it. UKIP here to stay"

twitter.com/DerbyshireUKIP/status/469727115345403904
  • Options
    SmarmeronSmarmeron Posts: 5,099
    So far with half the votive offerings slaughtered, the entrails are saying, "we live in interesting times"
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241

Remind you of anyone?

The SNP used its parliamentary majority to water down crucial concerns about an independent Scotland's membership of the European Union, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.....

Sources closes to the European and External Relations Committee claimed the behaviour showed the SNP was censoring legitimate debate about government policy in the run up to the independence referendum.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/scottish-politics/10850525/SNP-uses-majority-to-stifle-criticism-of-Alex-Salmonds-EU-membership-stance.html

LOL, Tories complain that democratically elected government is not implementing opposition policies but unashamedly putting their own policies forward. What can we expect next from Tory clowns, will Dave be implementing Ed's great ideas.
  • Options
    The Hammersmith humiliation will really be hurting the Conservatives today.

It should also shut up the "Conservatives to do well in London because of gentrification" and "Conservatives to do well in London because of the strong economy" crowds.

But it wont because "Conservatives to do well in London" is an article of faith to the Cameroons and metropolitan rich.

Take into account with London constituency bets.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh @SuzanneEvans1 wrong again. She never said that. So less spin and accept it. UKIP here to stay"

She didn't say it, but she certainly implied it - live on Radio 4. It was quite a jaw-dropping interview.
  • Options

Stuart Dickson: I am a huge unionist. I love Britain and the UK. However, you posted something last night that made me think. I now feel I do understand how Scots may have felt during the Thatcher/Major years.

Even I today am feeling slightly distant and alienated from London. And I live in the south-east, and work there. It feels like a different world, and governs us all in so many ways. Ever so slightly arrogantly and contemptuously.

Thank you.

I read a very touching story last week. It was about this lovely old Swedish lady who had voted solely Folkpartiet (Liberal Democrat) during the last 80 years. Now, aged 102, she has decided for the first time in her life to vote for a different poilitical party (in her case for the Feminist Initiative, who look highly likely to get an MEP; even my wife who normally votes Con or Lib is voting for them as are several female friends).

Irrespective of the party, it is encumbent on us all to seriously think about our vote, each and every time we cast it. I for one hope that I do not remain an SNP member all my life. In fact, I even have a date for when I intend to send in my resignation letter: independence day.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,241

Dream on
  • Options

A Labour MP has attacked his own party leader for an “unforgivably unprofessional” campaign and not knowing his own cost of living after Thursday’s local and European elections.

Graham Stringer MP said the Labour party had not performed as well as it should have, both in terms of policies and organisation.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/local-elections/10850921/Ed-Miliband-led-an-unforgivably-unprofessional-campaign-Labour-MP-says.html
    Graham Stringer is my favourite Labour MP.

A man unafraid to speak his mind and who often talks good sense.

Don't expect him to be listened to by the Labour leadership.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

She didn't say it, but she certainly implied it - live on Radio 4. It was quite a jaw-dropping interview.
    With everyone having stayed up all night, I expect we'll have a few clangers in the morning interviews.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,447
    Scott_P said:

@AndrewSparrow: John Curtice says Labour doing worse than 2 years ago - http://t.co/xjNrb1fI4U
    And that's not a surprise - every round of council elections compares the result in one set of councils with results in another set of councils. Labour winning more seats is good. Labour having a slap in the face where one party rule has created arrogance (like Rotherham) is also good as it gets the party to pay attention before it comes to a Westminster vote.

As for the GE I noted with amusement the various eminent psephologist luminaries quoted giving a projection of seats then admitting their model doesn't work for UKIP. Well then its not a valid model - UKIP are here, they aren't going away,their voters are their voters. But there are plenty of marginal seats where a rise in UKIP does the Tories and helps us. That is why UKIPs strong night is good for Labour.
  • Options
    Paul Waugh‏@paulwaugh·2 mins
    Kingston council a big, big loss for Lib Dems. Tories capitalise in borough with one of highest council taxes in UK.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Thank you.

I read a very touching story last week. It was about this lovely old Swedish lady who had voted solely Folkpartiet (Liberal Democrat) during the last 80 years. Now, aged 102, she has decided for the first time in her life to vote for a different poilitical party (in her case for the Feminist Initiative, who look highly likely to get an MEP; even my wife who normally votes Con or Lib is voting for them as are several female friends).

Irrespective of the party, it is encumbent on us all to seriously think about our vote, each and every time we cast it. I for one hope that I do not remain an SNP member all my life. In fact, I even have a date for when I intend to send in my resignation letter: independence day.
    I hope to do the same thing with UKIP on the day we withdraw from the EU.
  • Options
    UKIP's Andre Lampitt came 4th in St Helier, beating all the Tory candidates:

http://democracy.merton.gov.uk/mgElectionAreaResults.aspx?XXR=0&ID=36&RPID=500329959
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

I think Labour exceeded expectations in Merton.

Enfield looks lost to the Conservatives forever as well.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Fantastic results for Labour in London.
  • Options
    BobaFettBobaFett Posts: 2,789
    I said on this forum that London was moving even more Labour, in part in reaction to the Kipper surge elsewhere. Looking like a good night down here for the red team.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Remind you of anyone?

LOL, Tories complain that democratically elected government is not implementing opposition policies but unashamedly putting their own policies forward. What can we expect next from Tory clowns, will Dave be implementing Ed's great ideas.
    They live in cloud cuckoo land. According to Unionists the democratically elected majority government of Scotland has no mandate. They are still in denial, all these years later.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Sean_F said:

Oliver_PB said:

Sean_F said:

Labour have lost fewer seats to UKIP than the Conservatives have, but they've still lost a substantial number.
    Sure, but you could see it as being positive in the context of Westminster if you think UKIP are more likely to be a spoiler.

As I've said, Labour have done poorly but I don't think it's a bad result in the run-up to the general.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Dream on
    That you won't obey EU law on Uni fees, or rUK will fund foreign universities?

• Options

Scott_P said:

And that's not a surprise - every round of council elections compares the result in one set of councils with results in another set of councils. Labour winning more seats is good. Labour having a slap in the face where one party rule has created arrogance (like Rotherham) is also good as it gets the party to pay attention before it comes to a Westminster vote.

As for the GE I noted with amusement the various eminent psephologist luminaries quoted giving a projection of seats then admitting their model doesn't work for UKIP. Well then its not a valid model - UKIP are here, they aren't going away,their voters are their voters. But there are plenty of marginal seats where a rise in UKIP does the Tories and helps us. That is why UKIPs strong night is good for Labour.
    I am rather hoping that these results will be the wake-up call Labour needs. They must start to take on UKIP, and put an end to the kind of complacent thinking that your post exemplifies.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Remind you of anyone?

I suspect if Coalition MPs suppressed a minority report critical of the government you'd be among the first to complain......
  • Options
    It’s all been London news for the past couple of hours, which puts a nice spin on things, but the truth is that it has not been a good night. Not by a long stretch – Conor Pope

http://labourlist.org/2014/05/european-and-local-elections-liveblog-2014/
  • Options
    UKIP DRIFTING AT BETFAIR

Betfair - In-Play - European Parliament Election 2014 - Most Votes

UKIP 1.29 (was 1.11 this morning)
    Lab 3
    Con 36
  • Options
    edited May 2014

Sean_F said:

I think Labour exceeded expectations in Merton.

Enfield looks lost to the Conservatives forever as well.
    Merton seems like low-hanging fruit to me (subject to looking at the details). Edmonton, and East Enfield are pretty much like Tottenham, now.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Remind you of anyone?

They live in cloud cuckoo land. According to Unionists the democratically elected majority government of Scotland has no mandate. They are still in denial, all these years later.
    To suppress a minority report critical of the government?

Welcome to the Brave New Scotland.....
  • Options
    Betfair - Next UK General Election - Overall Majority (178,152 pounds matched)

NOM 2.36
    Lab Maj 3.2
    Con Maj 3.55
    Any other party Maj 200
This discussion has been closed.