Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The cunning and awesomeness of Robert Jenrick – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• SpurnpointSpurnpoint Posts: 20

kle4 said:

‪Aaron Rupar‬ ‪@atrupar.bsky.social‬
    ·
    8h
    We are in for some very dark days if Trump wins, and the first victims are going to be people of color. Trump spoke openly today of deporting legal immigrants and federal forces conducting deportation raids in blue areas. It's all on the line.

https://bsky.app/profile/atrupar.bsky.social/post/3l6buwej6cb2b

No worry about illegality either, he couldn't be prosecuted even after office.
    I just cannot get my head around why any non-white voter would even think about voting for him. He is being very clear what he plans.
    Hes firm favourite now.
    BREAKING: TRUMP’S ELECTORAL COLLEGE CHANCE OF WINNING RISES TO 71.9%

Trump’s chances of securing the Electoral College victory have surged to 71.9%, according to the latest data from RealClearPolitics (RCP) and Silver Bulletin.

This recent increase may be signaling growing momentum for Trump's campaign as the election draws closer.

Source: Leading Report

https://x.com/MarioNawfal/status/1844890834296074408
  • jamesdoylejamesdoyle Posts: 778
    Leon said:

I know most of PB would like to think the Boris book is a flop. It’s with a heavy heart I have to tell you, it’s not. It’s doing well. Maybe very well

We had the same debate when half of PB claimed Boris would never get a large advance because “who cares” and “he’s finished” and - my favourite - “he’s so tainted”

I said this was bollocks and he’d get millions. And he has

In my bookshop, the Graham Brady book is selling rather better.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,398

eek said:

When I asked if Haigh had been wrong to describe the company as cowboys and suggest a boycott, he said: “Well, look, that's not the view of the government.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0r82pjd8gpo

Don't you have to be sacked, collective responsibility and all that. Plus just cost £1bn of investment.

She was right, though.
    And she hasn’t cost a penny in investment - because if DP World doesn’t invest the money someone else will.its a port faciliting imports / exports in/out of the UK. It’s not like the money will be invested in France at the expense of us
    Great signal though, the government of growth, who are having this investment conference, we aren't inviting the richest man in the world because he writes mean tweets and we have pissed off an absolute massive global logistics company and won't attend.

Apparently they also sent out a load of the invites at really short notice, as if CEO's have totally empty diaries and can drop everything with a few days notice.

Not exactly great signals. Particularly when Macron is putting these on in where he does them with full charm offensive.
    Musk is not just posting “mean tweets”, he’s posting anti-Semitic tweets, he’s promoting Holocaust deniers.
  • AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 22,887

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

What' the rule of thumb on tv size to be deemed as middle class? I am a bit worried my 60" one along with no smart watch might have me losing my middle class privilege membership card.

Working class would be the biggest tv possible, as it's not a high status activity despite nearly everyone doing it. So even if all else is cheap tv will be big.

But since big is now the standard you probably won't be able to judge lower or middle on that alone.

Smart watch (and other status signalling electronics) is definitely middle, so you could have dropped out.

I’m certainly not wearing my smartwatch (Venu 3) to
    signal status. It’s quite ugly. I’m wearing it because it is incredibly useful and, I hope, will keep me healthier. The sleep analysis alone is brilliant - @rcs1000 is right
    Welcome to the smartwatch crew! You will soon note how booze wrecks your sleep and canes your VO2 max… it’s been a real motivator for me giving up midweek drinking. Feel a lot better for it (unlike today, when I’m hungover!)
    And I’m genuinely grateful for you and others on PB persuading me to buy one

👍🥂

I’m intrigued tho, haven’t you got an Apple smartwatch? The everyday charging process would drive me mad. I’ve had this Garmin Venu on my arm for five days. When I opened the box it was 86% battery power. Five days later it is 48%. It looks like I will only have to charge it once every ten days, which is brilliant
    With the Watch Ultra 2 you can 4 days with a full charge.
    Even that would irritate me. I want a week at least so it feels like I can simply forget it. With this Garmin the stats say I should get 10-14 days. Superb

However I readily concede the Apple Watches look much nicer and I envy their seamless integration with the Apple ecosystem

It was a close call. But the health and charging thing tipped me towards Garmin
    Can you make/receive calls on your watch if your phone is miles away or switched off?

That alongside the health and Apple Pay functions are the key for me.

It’s nice to know you can leave the house without your phone and wallet and still be contactable and pay for stuff.
    Yup. The cellular is amazing for running and paying for stuff where you don’t want to take a phone eg the beach!
    You don’t need a mobile connection to make contactless payments.
    Correct. But the watch allows you to make them without a phone on you.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,411

What' the rule of thumb on tv size to be deemed as middle class? I am a bit worried my 60" one along with no smart watch might have me losing my middle class privilege membership card.

It depends on the brand.

If it isn’t LG etc but Bush or Hisense etc.

Also if you have a Bang and Olufsen sound system.
    Funnily enough, we need to buy a new TV as moving to rented for a time and our current TV is 15 years old and not worth moving.

I hardly recognise any brands today, so can't tell which, if any, of LG, Bush or Hisense are on the TSE-acceptable list and which would be a televisual faux pas.
    edited 11:53AM

Has anybody on PB bought Boris book? Seems like we are the target market. I am sure Scott n Paste was queuing overnight for his copy, but anybody else.

I can't say any of the extract bits seemed that interesting.

There's an audiobook version read by the man himself.
    Must run to a couple of hundred hours once all the fwaw-fwaw, um, er, waffle-waffle, etc. is recorded.
  • Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 3,089

Has anybody on PB bought Boris book? Seems like we are the target market. I am sure Scott n Paste was queuing overnight for his copy, but anybody else.

I'm expecting every sentence to be quoted in the media sooner or later and I shall absorb them in random order.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 69,306
    NEW New York Times/Siena College Polls: AZ & PA

Trump 51-46% Over Harris in Arizona; Gallego Tops Lake 48-41%

Harris 50%, Trump 47% in Pennsylvania; Casey Leads McCormick 48-44%

https://x.com/SienaResearch/status/1845026631137755633
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,741

I'm expecting every sentence to be quoted in the media sooner or later and I shall absorb them in random order.
    Pretty much the authentic Boris experience, then.
    TimS said:

Leon said:

As a belated smart watch convert (and thanks to PB for persuading me to take the leap) I now realise these are the future

I thought “wearable tech” was just a marketing gimmick, or a fad. It absolutely is not. As these things get better they will detect ailments and diseases waaay before any doctor, maybe before any symptoms appear

I can imagine smart watches with the ability to examine sweat, blood, cellular changes, 24/7 and painlessly, all while telling you the time and showing your emails and reminding you your flight to Rome is boarding

Go short on Rolex. These things are so useful people really will abandon the “jewellery” watches. Or maybe some clever company will manage to
    combine the two. A smart watch that looks as good and expensive as a Breitling

The wearable tech I want is a cancer chip. Something implanted just under the skin that detects any unusual cell division in the body, locates it to the affected organ and lets out a piercing siren.
    A chip implanted in one part of the body will have limited ability to detect unusual cell division elsewhere in the body unfortunately. Also, we are now realising that detecting any unusual cell division wouldn’t be useful. There’s a good chance there is already unusual cell division going on somewhere in your body (with the prostate as one likely spot). That in itself isn’t a risk. Only a subset of these events will lead to a tumour that will be dangerous to your health.

We have a big problem in cancer detection at present where we can detect very small tumours but don’t know if they’ll ever be a problem. This leads to a lot of unnecessary treatment. This is why when we detect prostate cancer, the treatment is often “watchful waiting”. We just keep an eye on the tumour, but don’t rush to do anything.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,778
    Some signs of panic in Dem circles.

"But there is rising urgency about Future Forward’s strategy in the closing days of the race, according to numerous Democrats from other party-aligned organizations. They fear the PAC has still done too little to reach low-engagement nonwhite voters, both by failing to put enough resources into targeted digital advertising—as opposed to traditional TV and broadly focused digital ads—and by being slow to share resources with groups experienced in mobilizing these voters."

Could Trump Win? Yes, and Some Dems Are Quietly Saying They Know Why
    Insiders are raising some tough questions about the strategic decisions made by Future Forward, the biggest Super PAC pulling for Kamala Harris.
    https://newrepublic.com/article/187094/harris-future-forward-2024-election
    Of course at some point as a Trump win becomes more likely the implications for ukraine sadly become quite profound. With Trump favouring Putin over Zelensky the best Ukraine can likely hope for is a messy partition with them losing much of their industrial base.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,303

Pretty much the authentic Boris experience, then.
    "I couldn't disagree with you less!"
  • TresTres Posts: 2,661

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Working class would be the biggest tv possible, as it's not a high status activity despite nearly everyone doing it. So even if all else is cheap tv will be big.

But since big is now the standard you probably won't be able to judge lower or middle on that alone.

Smart watch (and other status signalling electronics) is definitely middle, so you could have dropped out.

signal status. It’s quite ugly. I’m wearing it because it is incredibly useful and, I hope, will keep me healthier. The sleep analysis alone is brilliant - @rcs1000 is right
    Welcome to the smartwatch crew! You will soon note how booze wrecks your sleep and canes your VO2 max… it’s been a real motivator for me giving up midweek drinking. Feel a lot better for it (unlike today, when I’m hungover!)

👍🥂

I’m intrigued tho, haven’t you got an Apple smartwatch? The everyday charging process would drive me mad. I’ve had this Garmin Venu on my arm for five days. When I opened the box it was 86% battery power. Five days later it is 48%. It looks like I will only have to charge it once every ten days, which is brilliant
    Apple Watch Ultra, you only have to charge it every three days (and it takes about 40 minutes to charge from flat). You don’t notice it because you do it when getting ready in the morning.
    middle class - having a spare 40 minutes in the morning to faff about charging a watch
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,441
    Nigelb said:

I think compared to 2020 Trump will win Georgia and very probably Arizona. That will not matter so long as Harris holds Pennsylvania. She also has an outside chance in North Carolina
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,148
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

I think compared to 2020 Trump will win Georgia and very probably Arizona. That will not matter so long as Harris holds Pennsylvania. She also has an outside chance in North Carolina
    Wisconsin?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,731

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

👍🥂

Apple Watch Ultra, you only have to charge it every three days (and it takes about 40 minutes to charge from flat). You don’t notice it because you do it when getting ready in the morning.
    As an aside, apparently Apple did a promotion with one of the long-distance triathlon organisations a few years back for their watches.

Except, as many athletes pointed out, Apple smartwatches did not last long enough with GPS to record a full long-distance triathlon...

kle4 said:

·
    8h
    We are in for some very dark days if Trump wins, and the first victims are going to be people of color. Trump spoke openly today of deporting legal immigrants and federal forces conducting deportation raids in blue areas. It's all on the line.

I just cannot get my head around why any non-white voter would even think about voting for him. He is being very clear what he plans.
    Hes firm favourite now.

Trump’s chances of securing the Electoral College victory have surged to 71.9%, according to the latest data from RealClearPolitics (RCP) and Silver Bulletin.

This recent increase may be signaling growing momentum for Trump's campaign as the election draws closer.

Bullshit tweet.

Trump may well win but Silver Bulletin is NOT showing that at the moment. Applying the Silver Bulletin view of who is leading which state gives Harris 276, Trump 262 in the EC.

https://www.natesilver.net/p/nate-silver-2024-president-election-polls-model
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,696

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

👍🥂

With the Watch Ultra 2 you can 4 days with a full charge.
    Even that would irritate me. I want a week at least so it feels like I can simply forget it. With this Garmin the stats say I should get 10-14 days. Superb

However I readily concede the Apple Watches look much nicer and I envy their seamless integration with the Apple ecosystem

It was a close call. But the health and charging thing tipped me towards Garmin
    Can you make/receive calls on your watch if your phone is miles away or switched off?

That alongside the health and Apple Pay functions are the key for me.

It’s nice to know you can leave the house without your phone and wallet and still be contactable and pay for stuff.
    Yup. The cellular is amazing for running and paying for stuff where you don’t want to take a phone eg the beach!
    You don’t need a mobile connection to make contactless payments.
    Correct. But the watch allows you to make them without a phone on you.
    Which was my point - it acts just like a card in such a transaction.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 22,123
    Here we have had a couple of nights hitting 0C this week.

It feels like an early winter.

Jenrick wants us to leave the EUHCR so I wouldn't vote fir him. I hope Kemi isn't as loony?

Are you not at all concerned about the 'living instrument' doctrine that means the ECHR can essentially interpret its own powers - finding the Swiss Government guilty of discrimination for its Net Zero policy for example? That is nothing to do with the post-war concept of protecting the right to family-life etc., it's a power-crazed political organisation. Some say 'reform it', some say 'derogate', Jenrick has concluded that neither are possible, so he's recommending we leave. I have been more in the derogate/ignore camp, thinking that it's too big a political fight to pick for too little immediate pay off. But he at least deserves a hearing on that.
    You’re reacting to right-wing exaggerations of the ECHR. You will notice that Switzerland is unchanged since they lost that case.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 17,064
    edited 12:09PM

Most of the quotes so far are things he didn't do. He didn't invade the Netherlands. He didn't give any thought to what leaving the EU might mean despite campaigning for it etc
    Tres said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

👍🥂

middle class - having a spare 40 minutes in the morning to faff about charging a watch
    Do you not shower in the morning then?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,919

kle4 said:

Jenrick wants us to leave the EUHCR so I wouldn't vote fir him. I hope Kemi isn't as loony?

Are you not at all concerned about the 'living instrument' doctrine that means the ECHR can essentially interpret its own powers - finding the Swiss Government guilty of discrimination for its Net Zero policy for example? That is nothing to do with the post-war concept of protecting the right to family-life etc., it's a power-crazed political organisation. Some say 'reform it', some say 'derogate', Jenrick has concluded that neither are possible, so he's recommending we leave. I have been more in the derogate/ignore camp, thinking that it's too big a political fight to pick for too little immediate pay off. But he at least deserves a hearing on that.
    I think the biggest issue with the ECHR stuff is overegging it. It gets presented as some grand solution to things and I just struggle to see that.
    Well it certainly isn't "the solution", because as we've seen with the impact of Brexit on the state, the rest of the system will fight tooth and nail to carry on as if nothing has changed. But it is potentially a necessary factor in the reforms we need to see.
    Was it really the system's fault? Or May and Johnson's cakeism approach to Brexit?
    Even within the legal limitations entailed within the Brexit Agreement, there was and is a great deal that Britain could and can do to aid our economy and our country by judiciously diverging from some EU laws that are harmful and now unnecessary. Boris and Sunak (Truss wasn't in for long enough to see what she'd have done) are ultimately responsible for not doing that, but it would have been against a huge institutional pushback from an administrative system that is besotted with the EU and determined in a Miss Havisham-like way to preserve everything as it was ready for the blessed day when we go back in. Remember the civil service was publicly campaigning against the Reform and Revocation Bill.

Also, please remember that this isn't airy fairy nonsense about 'imagined Brexit benefits' - there was a very good independent task force that offered specific recommendations on changes that would benefit us: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/taskforce-on-innovation-growth-and-regulatory-reform-independent-report

It is very disappointing that Boris (having commissioned the report) and Sunak (and Kemi) never implemented its findings.
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

If Trump wins Georgia and Arizona he only needs North Carolina to win. He doesnt need Pennsylvania. If Trump does win Pennsylvania its all over.

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

👍🥂

As an aside, apparently Apple did a promotion with one of the long-distance triathlon organisations a few years back for their watches.

Except, as many athletes pointed out, Apple smartwatches did not last long enough with GPS to record a full long-distance triathlon...
    Apple Watch, not Apple Watch Ultra.

Next.
    I note we have the traditional Saturday visitor from Moscow again.

FFS.

You’re reacting to right-wing exaggerations of the ECHR. You will notice that Switzerland is unchanged since they lost that case.
    And that's good for Switzerland, but in the UK we do not have any track record of blithely ignoring international rulings.
    Some of the ignorance shown on here about smartwatches and Apple Ultra in particular is laughable.

People should really do a few seconds’ research before they post.

• algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,181

I can't tell you of a single person who has ever bought (new, rather than charity shop) a book by Boris, Obama, Cameron, Clinton or any other POTUS, Prince Harry, Gordon Brown, Blair, Beckham or any footballer ever. Is this unusual? Who does buy this stuff?

I live in an area where best sellers are things like maintenance guides to muck spreaders so this may not be typical.
    Nigelb said:

This implies that a fifth of Trump supporters won’t vote for Lake. How bad a candidate do you have to be that a fifth of Trump supporters look at you and go nah.

Some of the ignorance shown on here about smartwatches and Apple Ultra in particular is laughable.

Calling something 'Ultra' is very poor branding. Sounds like a detergent.

kle4 said:

·
    8h

Hes firm favourite now.

Bullshit tweet.

Trump may well win but Silver Bulletin is NOT showing that at the moment. Applying the Silver Bulletin view of who is leading which state gives Harris 276, Trump 262 in the EC.

https://www.natesilver.net/p/nate-silver-2024-president-election-polls-model
    Yes, deliberately misleading repost too on a betting site. These Russian bots are ruining the experience on here weekly.

Nigelb said:

This implies that a fifth of Trump supporters won’t vote for Lake. How bad a candidate do you have to be that a fifth of Trump supporters look at you and go nah.
    Happens quite a bit - down ballot candidates trying to ape Trump, but who lose because the MAGA base only really loves it from him.

Calling something 'Ultra' is very poor branding. Sounds like a detergent.
    Less interested in the branding than the tech itself - by far the best device I have ever bought. Life changing.

Post first think later, that's my motto. Live in the moment.

kle4 said:

I think the biggest issue with the ECHR stuff is overegging it. It gets presented as some grand solution to things and I just struggle to see that.
    Well it certainly isn't "the solution", because as we've seen with the impact of Brexit on the state, the rest of the system will fight tooth and nail to carry on as if nothing has changed. But it is potentially a necessary factor in the reforms we need to see.
    Was it really the system's fault? Or May and Johnson's cakeism approach to Brexit?
    Even within the legal limitations entailed within the Brexit Agreement, there was and is a great deal that Britain could and can do to aid our economy and our country by judiciously diverging from some EU laws that are harmful and now unnecessary. Boris and Sunak (Truss wasn't in for long enough to see what she'd have done) are ultimately responsible for not doing that, but it would have been against a huge institutional pushback from an administrative system that is besotted with the EU and determined in a Miss Havisham-like way to preserve everything as it was ready for the blessed day when we go back in. Remember the civil service was publicly campaigning against the Reform and Revocation Bill.

Also, please remember that this isn't airy fairy nonsense about 'imagined Brexit benefits' - there was a very good independent task force that offered specific recommendations on changes that would benefit us: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/taskforce-on-innovation-growth-and-regulatory-reform-independent-report

It is very disappointing that Boris (having commissioned the report) and Sunak (and Kemi) never implemented its findings.
    The potato guy at the market today was complaining about how Brexit has interrupted the supply of seed potatoes.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,786

Is there any real advantage to the Apple Watch Ultra over the standard one for people who don't have 'range anxiety' about recharging it?
    kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Happens quite a bit - down ballot candidates trying to ape Trump, but who lose because the MAGA base only really loves it from him.
    Lets face it im sure you are a nice guy but if you suddenly started talking like Trump pretty sure it wouldnt work. You need the alpha male chutzpah to pull it off.

Is there any real advantage to the Apple Watch Ultra over the standard one for people who don't have 'range anxiety' about recharging it?
    Yes, it’s built for outdoor sports (titanium etc) so bombproof. I fell off my bike, skidded along my watch face - and broke two ribs. The watch was fine. And, because of its superior battery life, you can leave it on while sleeping and monitor your sleep. It also has a better outdoor sports face: the Wayfinder. There are other advantages but you can google them.

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

👍🥂

Next.
    The promotion was for the Apple Watch. Not the Ultra ...

They were promoting it for something it could not do.

kle4 said:

Nigelb said:

Lets face it im sure you are a nice guy but if you suddenly started talking like Trump pretty sure it wouldnt work. You need the alpha male chutzpah to pull it off.
    Go away.

kle4 said:

The potato guy at the market today was complaining about how Brexit has interrupted the supply of seed potatoes.
    I had no idea that Brexit had created a new opportunity for the domestic seed potato industry - it's amazing what you can learn at the market.

And that's good for Switzerland, but in the UK we do not have any track record of blithely ignoring international rulings.
    It’s not that they ignore rulings. It’s that the supposed “power-crazed political organisation” issued a limited ruling. Because the ECHR can’t “interpret its own powers”.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,661

Tres said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

👍🥂

Do you not shower in the morning then?
    not for 40 minutes

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

👍🥂

Next.

So what? It’s both irrelevant and misleading in a discussion about the Apple Watch Ultra, just your very weird and obsessive Apple hatred emerging again!
    The antisemtic replies to this jesus.

If Trump wins on November 5, it will be because of his support from a majority of white America. As a white American, and a white American man to boot, I’ve got to say, in the immortal words of Pogo: We have met the enemy and he is us."

https://x.com/BillKristol/status/1844734512195928153
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,643
    "King Arthur may have been LGBT because he once wore women's clothing, says Welsh council"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13952415/King-Arthur-LGBT-womens-clothing-Welsh-council.html
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,673
    edited 12:29PM
    P&O owner will attend UK investment summit despite row
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce81p528ejmo

Sorry, sorry, sorry....I think the call went something like the scene from the Inbetweeners when calling some people bus wankers.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,786

The antisemtic replies to this jesus.

He's not the messiah.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,577
    FF43 said:

Most of the quotes so far are things he didn't do. He didn't invade the Netherlands. He didn't give any thought to what leaving the EU might mean despite campaigning for it etc
    The patron saint of Scotch Expertise didn’t bother with even minimal research on Scotttish politics.

https://x.com/alexmassie/status/1844482540452839728?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q

Yes, it’s built for outdoor sports (titanium etc) so bombproof. I fell off my bike, skidded along my watch face - and broke two ribs. The watch was fine. And, because of its superior battery life, you can leave it on while sleeping and monitor your sleep. It also has a better outdoor sports face: the Wayfinder. There are other advantages but you can google them.
    And I would just add that other watches perform similarly, for less money.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,875
    Those interested in class in America may want to read Charles Murray's "Coming Apart". I say "may" because his conclusions are unpleasant.

And because they are unfashionable in important places. At the end, he explains why he does not name all those who have helped him: "I will not name most of them. Being included in my acknowledgments can cause trouble for people in academia."

So, if you do read the book, be careful about who you share it with.

(By the way, he has a whole chapter, "How Thick Is Your Bubble", which lets you determine your own class status.)

P&O owner will attend UK investment summit despite row
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ce81p528ejmo

Sorry, sorry, sorry....I think the call went something like the scene from the Inbetweeners when calling some people bus wankers.

And looks like the investment will go ahead. Good triangulation from both Louise and Sir Keir. Hopefully P&O will learn a lesson about their sharp practices?

Indeed so. But the interface, integration and UX on the Garmins is vastly inferior to the Apple.

TimS said:

Leon said:

As a belated smart watch convert (and thanks to PB for persuading me to take the leap) I now realise these are the future

I thought “wearable tech” was just a marketing gimmick, or a fad. It absolutely is not. As these things get better they will detect ailments and diseases waaay before any doctor, maybe before any symptoms appear

I can imagine smart watches with the ability to examine sweat, blood, cellular changes, 24/7 and painlessly, all while telling you the time and showing your emails and reminding you your flight to Rome is boarding

Go short on Rolex. These things are so useful people really will abandon the “jewellery” watches. Or maybe some clever company will manage to
    combine the two. A smart watch that looks as good and expensive as a Breitling

The wearable tech I want is a cancer chip. Something implanted just under the skin that detects any unusual cell division in the body, locates it to the affected organ and lets out a piercing siren.
    A chip implanted in one part of the body will have limited ability to detect unusual cell division elsewhere in the body unfortunately. Also, we are now realising that detecting any unusual cell division wouldn’t be useful. There’s a good chance there is already unusual cell division going on somewhere in your body (with the prostate as one likely spot). That in itself isn’t a risk. Only a subset of these events will lead to a tumour that will be dangerous to your health.

We have a big problem in cancer detection at present where we can detect very small tumours but don’t know if they’ll ever be a problem. This leads to a lot of unnecessary treatment. This is why when we detect prostate cancer, the treatment is often “watchful waiting”. We just keep an eye on the tumour, but don’t rush to do anything.

Nigelb said:

That's an improvement in how she was doing a month ago.
    But it's also a demonstration of how little appeal Trump's brand of politics - as opposed to the accomplished conman himself - have electorally.
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,106
    algarkirk said:

I can't tell you of a single person who has ever bought (new, rather than charity shop) a book by Boris, Obama, Cameron, Clinton or any other POTUS, Prince Harry, Gordon Brown, Blair, Beckham or any footballer ever. Is this unusual? Who does buy this stuff?

I live in an area where best sellers are things like maintenance guides to muck spreaders so this may not be typical.
    I think political memoirs are just not widely popular. Thatcher's book (The Downing Street Years) apparently was a rousing success for having shifted half a million copies, but that's still less than 1% of the UK population. So half a million people is a lot of people buying a book, but still you could easily have a friend group where nobody has bought it (and more likely still a friend group where maybe one person bought it and you didn't know because they didn't happen to advertise their reading choices).

Those interested in class in America may want to read Charles Murray's "Coming Apart". I say "may" because his conclusions are unpleasant.

And because they are unfashionable in important places. At the end, he explains why he does not name all those who have helped him: "I will not name most of them. Being included in my acknowledgments can cause trouble for people in academia."

(By the way, he has a whole chapter, "How Thick Is Your Bubble", which lets you determine your own class status.)

I will have to read it. I actually think one of the big problems in the west now is materialistic atheism. Those empty conversations the upper middle classes have about rugby, possesions and holidays. A spiritual void.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,279

The book was published in 2012. Are you referring to a later edition?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coming_Apart_(book)
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,875
    Some time ago, I concluded that -- to the extent he has an ideology -- the Loser is best described as a monarchist. Hence his attraction to such disparate leaders as QE2, MBS, and Kim.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,643
    Does anyone think the Jenrick team's alleged tactics will damage him in the membership vote? I think it could make a Badenoch win more likely because some of the members won't approve of rumours of these sorts of shenanigans.

Yes, it’s built for outdoor sports (titanium etc) so bombproof. I fell off my bike, skidded along my watch face - and broke two ribs. The watch was fine....
    That doesn't sound very appealing.

Nigelb said:

Yes, it’s built for outdoor sports (titanium etc) so bombproof. I fell off my bike, skidded along my watch face - and broke two ribs. The watch was fine....
    That doesn't sound very appealing.

Well no, it wasn’t. But a good example of the sheer toughness of the watch!

Indeed so. But the interface, integration and UX on the Garmins is vastly inferior to the Apple.
    Have you tried Garmin to test that out?

And even if true, that generally only applies if everything else is Apple as well.
    kle4 said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Wisconsin?
    From what I’ve read I think Wisconsin will be ok for Harris.

Have you tried Garmin to test that out?

And even if true, that generally only applies if everything else is Apple as well.
    Oh indeed. But I am fully Apple. It might be that the Garmins are better for Android users.
    Andy_JS said:

Does anyone think the Jenrick team's alleged tactics will damage him in the membership vote? I think it could make a Badenoch win more likely because some of the members won't approve of rumours of these sorts of shenanigans.

Well it depends if they want a treacherous little shit doesn’t it? They may, foolishly, think that at least he’s our treacherous little shit.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,324
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It depends on the brand.

If it isn’t LG etc but Bush or Hisense etc.

Also if you have a Bang and Olufsen sound system.
    No Mr Eagles, the B&O sound system is for the top 1%.

Fun fact, I did some work for someone who had the B&O 100” robotic TV, about 8 years ago. It must have cost £20k at the time.
    But that cannot be right, I have a Bang & Olufsen system.
    Okay, the latest ONS figure for the top 1% by salary suggests £187,000 is the line.
    https://www.projectfinanciallyfree.com/uk-income-percentile-calculator/

I shall leave you to draw you own conclusion.
    By "salary" makes that statistic rather pointless - true wealth/income is not a salary
    algarkirk said:

Boris Johnson's memoir isn't on Amazon Charts - presumably hasn't had time to register yet. However Rory Stewart's book has been for the last year and is at no 6. A very different book and very different politician

https://www.amazon.co.uk/charts/2024-10-06/mostread/nonfiction?ref=chrt_bk_dx_intra_nf_rd
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Well it depends if they want a treacherous little shit doesn’t it? They may, foolishly, think that at least he’s our treacherous little shit.
    In which case, more fool them.

The first thing to know about treacherous little shits is that, when the chips are down, they are on nobody's side but their own.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,969

But the Garmin lasts 14 days without a charge, Apple 2-4 days, depending who you talk to. That's a major difference, psychologically. You can basically forget about the Garmin watch, in terms of charging, it's an occasional task. It's like a Kindle in that respect

And I disagree about "vastly inferior", it is inferior, but it's not a ginormous gulf. And I did a LOT of research before making my purchase, and price was not a huge factor for me

I suppose it depends on your lifestyle. For the bold, glamorous, international jetsettter, who often goes to mad and exotic places, where charging could REALLY be an issue, the Garmin wins easily

For a boring centrist stay at home dad who is too scared to drive on the right, but who can rely on knowing his charging cable will be there in his boring old home, every night, as he retires in his pyjamas, the Apple makes sense
    Leon said:

But the Garmin lasts 14 days without a charge, Apple 2-4 days, depending who you talk to. That's a major difference, psychologically. You can basically forget about the Garmin watch, in terms of charging, it's an occasional task. It's like a Kindle in that respect

And I disagree about "vastly inferior", it is inferior, but it's not a ginormous gulf. And I did a LOT of research before making my purchase, and price was not a huge factor for me

I suppose it depends on your lifestyle. For the bold, glamorous, international jetsettter, who often goes to mad and exotic places, where charging could REALLY be an issue, the Garmin wins easily

For a boring centrist stay at home dad who is too scared to drive on the right, but who can rely on knowing his charging cable will be there in his boring old home, every night, as he retires in his pyjamas, the Apple makes sense
    Genuine LOL. Very good. Does your watch operate independently of the phone though?

Leon said:

Genuine LOL. Very good. Does your watch operate independently of the phone though?
    Yes, for payments, it does

(I haven't actually used it for this, yet - I just checked online)

I don't think it works for calls, but then I never get calls

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

👍🥂

Next.

So what? It’s both irrelevant and misleading in a discussion about the Apple Watch Ultra, just your very weird and obsessive Apple hatred emerging again!
    It's not obsessive because I don't constantly mention it; and I don't tell people not to get Apple products. Just that others are available that are often cheaper and 'better'.

Whereas your very weird and obsessive trait is to promote Apple at every opportunity and to seemingly deny anything else exists... ;)

As for weird, there are good reasons for my *slight* anti-Apple bias. Apple are not a 'good' company - something their fans often neglect.
    FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

Boris Johnson's memoir isn't on Amazon Charts - presumably hasn't had time to register yet. However Rory Stewart's book has been for the last year and is at no 6. A very different book and very different politician

https://www.amazon.co.uk/charts/2024-10-06/mostread/nonfiction?ref=chrt_bk_dx_intra_nf_rd
    It's Number 2 in the sales charts;
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bestsellers/books/ref=pd_zg_ts_books

Below Tim Spector's cookbook.

But above Miranda Hart, who has the decency to call her book "I Haven’t Been Entirely Honest with You."
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,590
    Andy_JS said:

FWIW, I suspect Badenoch has it sewn up with the membership anyway.

While Jenrick might be banging the populist drum a little more, Badenoch has been the darling of the Tory membership for some time and built a strong following (similar in many ways to the relationship Boris had with the members).

It also looks like there is a concerted effort from some on the moderate wing (see Damian Green’s comments) to get behind Badenoch as a Stop Jenrick candidate. Although it’s true that Tory members skew right, there is still a relatively large moderate chunk of the membership. Some will sit on their hands, but some will go to Badenoch I think.

Finally the ConservativeHome survey that only showed Badenoch ahead 52/48 was conducted at a time when Jenrick was leading the MP vote and it looked highly likely Badenoch would leave the contest in third place and never make it to the members.

I really do think she’s got the contest sewn up, absent a scandal or significant gaffe (the latter is not inconceivable, it being Badenoch, but it would need to be pretty big IMHO).
    Leon said:

"For a boring centrist stay at home dad who is too scared to drive on the right"

I'm unsure if I'm a boring centrist stay at home dad, but I'm fairly scared of driving on the right. At least, here in the UK. In fact, I'd strongly advise against it.

In Europe, or countries where they drive on the right, it'd be fine. In fact, I'd positively recommend driving on the right in that situation...
    Watching America's cup necessarily with the sound off. Looks like NZ are going to wipe the floor with GB
    FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

It's at number 2 in the charts, you hapless dolt, and overall this week it has been number 1

"Unleashed: 'THE POLITICAL MEMOIR OF THE CENTURY' DAILY MAIL Hardcover – 10 Oct. 2024
    by Boris Johnson (Author)
    4.0 4.0 out of 5 stars 29 ratings
    Amazon Charts #1 this week"

Leon said:

For...
    .. most of rest of the world, not called Leon, the Apple has significant advantages.

Leon said:

"For a boring centrist stay at home dad who is too scared to drive on the right"

I'm unsure if I'm a boring centrist stay at home dad, but I'm fairly scared of driving on the right. At least, here in the UK. In fact, I'd strongly advise against it.

In Europe, or countries where they drive on the right, it'd be fine. In fact, I'd positively recommend driving on the right in that situation...
    It's an old gag between PBers
    Leon said:

Leon said:

My sympathies! Also useful for texts etc, when without your phone.

Leon said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

👍🥂

Next.

It's not obsessive because I don't constantly mention it; and I don't tell people not to get Apple products. Just that others are available that are often cheaper and 'better'.

Whereas your very weird and obsessive trait is to promote Apple at every opportunity and to seemingly deny anything else exists... ;)

As for weird, there are good reasons for my *slight* anti-Apple bias. Apple are not a 'good' company - something their fans often neglect.
    Corporations aren't 'good'.
    They are essentially sociopathic - which is why we have (and should have) constraints on their behaviour.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,028

Watching America's cup necessarily with the sound off. Looks like NZ are going to wipe the floor with GB

England thrashed Pakistan in the cricket though so it's not all bad
    Leon said:

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

It's at number 2 in the charts, you hapless dolt, and overall this week it has been number 1

"Unleashed: 'THE POLITICAL MEMOIR OF THE CENTURY' DAILY MAIL Hardcover – 10 Oct. 2024

Alternatively you could click the link I helpfully provided to the actual Amazons Charts page.
    edited 1:05PM

Leon said:

Leon said:

Do you get a lot of calls? Honestly I don't. My kids NEVER make voice calls, their generation doesn't. Nor do my friends, not any more. It's all texts, Whatsapps, emails and Telegrams etc

The only calls I get are from my agent, occasionally (once a month, max?), or from my accountant, once every few months, or from my older daughter's mother, complaining about me, so I don't mind missing those

It is a remarkable and not really discussed change: the death of the voice call. It's a bit like sending letters, we simply don't do it any more, but it largely expired without comment
    edited 1:08PM
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Do you get a lot of calls? Honestly I don't. My kids NEVER make voice calls, their generation doesn't. Nor do my friends, not any more. It's all texts, Whatsapps, emails and Telegrams etc

The only calls I get are from my agent, occasionally (once a month, max?), or from my accountant, once every few months, or from my older daughter's mother, complaining about me, so I don't mind missing those

It is a remarkable and not really discussed change: the death of the voice call. It's a bit like sending letters, we simply don't do it any more, but it largely expired without comment
    I find it quite funny that voice notes have become a big thing among younger people...don't phone somebody and talk to them, or message them, leave them basically an answerphone message, which the other people returns with another answer phone message...rather than you know just have a conversation. Turns a quick conversation into a 30 minute game of passing answer phone messages.

Also, all this high tech advancements, we now have to shout at the bottom of our phones in an massively un-ergonomic way, rather than use them like erhh phones.
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

For...
    .. most of rest of the world, not called Leon, the Apple has significant advantages.
    Which are?

Genuine question. I looked into this, before buying (for me the charging and fitness aspects of the Garmin won the day)

The mapping is better on the Apple watch, I believe. what else?

Now I've joined the Smartwatch gang, I've realised half my friends and fam already have one

eg I mentioned to me sister my purchase, and she said "Oh yes I've had one for three years, they're amazing, changed my life, don't know how I'd function without it"

Gee, sis, thanks for telling me

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I find it quite funny that voice notes have become a big thing among younger people...don't phone somebody and talk to them, or message them, leave them basically an answerphone message, which the other people returns with another answer phone message...rather than you know just have a conversation. Turns a quick conversation into a 30 minute game of passing answer phone messages.

Also, all this high tech advancements, we now have to shout at the bottom of our phones in an massively un-ergonomic way, rather than use them like erhh phones.
    Yes totally. What is the voice note thing?!! Just call me if you want to chat (I don't mind taking calls, I will do it happily, it's just that no one calls, they text - or leave those voice notes)

I suppose it's because you can edit a text or a whatsapp, or delete it, before you send it, and you can delete a voice note likewise, before sending. So you have an extra layer of safety, to make sure you don't offend?
    edited 1:10PM
    Interesting how some books that are clearly selling well on Amazon don't get many reviews from buyers, where as others do.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

We not infrequently spend an hour or so on the phone with our children.
    Though they're probably a bit older than yours.
    CatMan said:

England thrashed Pakistan in the cricket though so it's not all bad
    Also, nobody cares about sailing
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yeah I guess I get quite a few. Work, and family. Perhaps I’m unusual? Dunno.
    FF43 said:

Leon said:

FF43 said:

algarkirk said:

Alternatively you could click the link I helpfully provided to the actual Amazons Charts page.
    Jeez

What you are looking at is charts of the book "most read", not most sold

https://www.amazon.co.uk/charts/2024-10-06/mostread/nonfiction?ref=chrt_bk_dx_intra_rd_nf

Most read will be some weird combo of reviews on multiple forms, and other reactions

Most sold is here. Boris is number 1

https://www.amazon.co.uk/charts/2024-10-06/mostsold/nonfiction?ref=chrt_bk_dx_intra_sd_nf

You flailing nitwit
    edited 1:17PM
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

We not infrequently spend an hour or so on the phone with our children.
    Though they're probably a bit older than yours.
    Mine are teens, they don't like voicecalls

However I've noticed this has spread from them up through the generations, and older people now rarely make calls. I have a couple of friends that persist (and it's nice, I like a chat). I also have friends abroad who like to do facetime/videocalls, because they like the intimacy

But far far fewer calls, overall. It's not helped that of the calls I do get a fair percentage is scammers, so it makes one wary

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Indeed. I always ring someone up to arrange appointments, for example. Vastly quicker and more efficient than playing diary-tag for hours by email.
    It looks as though the Russians lost an SU-34 and its crew, 50km away from the frontlines in Russia, whilst it was on a mission to drop a glide bomb.

Interestingly, the Russians are claiming that an F16 shot it down.

Do the Ukrainians have air-to-air missiles for the F16 that can reach 50km?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,508

Of all the reasons to hate The Apprentice, high on the list is training an entire generation how not to use a phone
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Yes totally. What is the voice note thing?!! Just call me if you want to chat (I don't mind taking calls, I will do it happily, it's just that no one calls, they text - or leave those voice notes)

I suppose it's because you can edit a text or a whatsapp, or delete it, before you send it, and you can delete a voice note likewise, before sending. So you have an extra layer of safety, to make sure you don't offend?
    No wonder we are losing the art of conversation- if people are scared to pick up the phone even to trusted friends and colleagues!