Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The cunning and awesomeness of Robert Jenrick – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,578

Alex Salmond has died.

Golly!
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,673
    edited 4:19PM

Alex Salmond has died.

This twitter accounts was active just 3hrs ago. Obviously that can be timed release, but not an ad type one, it was a thread.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,974

Alex Salmond has died.

This twitter accounts was active 3hrs ago.
    That tweet below is from the Political Editor of STV. Quite a mistake if it is a mistake

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,384
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

Poland suspends the right of asylum

"Poland will “temporarily suspend the right to asylum”, announced
    @donaldtusk
    in a speech outlining a tougher new migration strategy aimed at “regaining control and ensuring security".

"I will demand recognition of this decision in Europe," he added"

https://x.com/notesfrompoland/status/1845062353865302380

"🇵🇱Polish Prime Minister has announced a migration strategy for Poland:

‘One of the elements of the migration strategy will be the temporary, territorial suspension of the right to asylum and I will demand the right to recognize this decision in Europe.’

‘We will not implement European ideas if we are certain that they harm our interests. And I am talking about the migration pact’

And this is "moderate" Donald Tusk

Asylum, migration and Schengen are breaking Europe into pieces

Schengen is generally popular : take Switzerland, they narrowly voted to join about 15 years ago, but polls now show support of 70:30.
    Less popular in Germany, where it has now been effectively suspended
    So you now need to show your passport at a border post when you cross?

And trains now have passport inspectors on them?

Or perhaps - to quote the German government page: "travelers within the Schengen Area may face random inspections when entering Germany"?

• RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 3,025
    Blimey. Salmond was always one of those figures you’d expect to be around
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,673
    edited 4:19PM
    Leon said:

Alex Salmond has died.

This twitter accounts was active 3hrs ago.
    That tweet below is from the Political Editor of STV. Quite a mistake if it is a mistake

No, I don't mean its a mistake, I mean its must be very very sudden.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk
    in a speech outlining a tougher new migration strategy aimed at “regaining control and ensuring security".

‘One of the elements of the migration strategy will be the temporary, territorial suspension of the right to asylum and I will demand the right to recognize this decision in Europe.’

‘We will not implement European ideas if we are certain that they harm our interests. And I am talking about the migration pact’

Schengen is generally popular : take Switzerland, they narrowly voted to join about 15 years ago, but polls now show support of 70:30.

Or perhaps - to quote the German government page: "travelers within the Schengen Area may face random inspections when entering Germany"?

Which is why I said "effectively", not entirely
    This very recent video of Salmond shows why a sudden heart attack is maybe not that surprising

Very very overweight and we know he liked a drink

https://x.com/AlexSalmondShow/status/1844769931919008222

Kids, put the pies down

Rather sad, he was a talented man, for all his flaws, and 69 is no age!
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,413
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

So, 'effectively' means: 'not at all'.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,701

Alex Salmond has died.

Golly!
    Nothing in mainstream news yet.

Like him or not - one of the Big Beasts of U.K. politics in his day.
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

Ah, so this is an entirely new meaning of the word "effectively" then.

Fair enough.

• kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,775
    Leon said:

This very recent video of Salmond shows why a sudden heart attack is maybe not that surprising

Very very overweight and we know he liked a drink

https://x.com/AlexSalmondShow/status/1844769931919008222

Kids, put the pies down

Rather sad, he was a talented man, for all his flaws, and 69 is no age!

If only he had a Garmin...
    edited 4:24PM

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

The whole point of Schengen is COMPLETE Free Movement, nothing at all stopping anyone moving from one Schengen country to another. That has been suspended, in effect, in Germany. Total Free Movement has ended. However they have not brought back the border guards and barbed wire. Yet
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,511
    rcs1000 said:

Great chart from the New York Times on the election:

This "recalled vote" adjustment most of the pollsters are doing this time is interesting. It pushes the numbers towards Trump on average. Strip it out and Harris looks better.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

The whole point of Schengen is COMPLETE Free Movement, nothing at all stopping anyone moving from one Schengen country to another. That has been suspended, in effect, in Germany. Total Free Movement has ended. However they have not brought back the border guards and barbed wire. Yet
    Sure, sure.

That's what "effectively" means. Everyone agrees with you.

kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

This "recalled vote" adjustment most of the pollsters are doing this time is interesting. It pushes the numbers towards Trump on average. Strip it out and Harris looks better.
    Ah, I remember Romney fans making those adjustments back in 2012.

It's close. There probably will be a polling error. We don't know which way it will be.

I think it slightly more likely to be in Trump's favour, but I could be completely wrong.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,152
    rcs1000 said:

Is the self-driving revolution now upon us?

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/08/20/waymo-has-doubled-its-weekly-paid-robotaxi-trips-to-100000-since-may.html

Waymo is now providing more than 100,000 paid robotaxi rides per week in the U.S., according to a LinkedIn announcement by co-CEO Tekedra Mawakana. That’s double the 50,000 weekly paid trips the company reported in May.

I've used Waymo, and it's pretty cool - with some caveats.

Firstly, you can't say "could you drop me just after the red Ford", because there's no-one to talk to. It's dropping you where it's dropping you.

Secondly, people are fucking pigs. Ubers are generally clean, but I've gotten into a Waymo, and the previous user had just had a Macdonalds and just left trash strewn everywhere. It was a distinctly unpleasant experience.

Thirdly, right now, you need to be taking a Waymo from a very clearly defined area to another very clearly defined area.
    So more of an automated bus?

Alex Salmond has died.

Blimey, that's a shock.
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Let's hope they miss like 2022 then.
    The best bets to make are on either Trump sweeping the board of the swing states, or Harris doing so.

The polls are highly likely to be out by 3% or so, and in all probability that will all be in one direction.

My gut - fwiw - is that it is more likely that Trump is understated than Harris. But it's just a gut. It could easily be the other way around.
    I think the opposite. I think Trump is being overestimated this time.
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,278
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

Sure, sure.

No, I'm with Leon on this point of extreme pedantry. Schengen meant no limitations to movement within the Schengen area. There now are limitations. So it's been suspended.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,261

Alex Salmond has died.

Golly!
    Nothing in mainstream news yet.

Like him or not - one of the Big Beasts of U.K. politics in his day.
    Sky has it.
    https://news.sky.com/story/former-first-minister-of-scotland-alex-salmond-dies-13232584
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,838

NEW THREAD

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,738
    RIP Ales Salmond.

I did not agree with some of his politics, but he fought tenaciously for his views. His successors are/were non-entities in comparison.

(If anyone can get in quick, Wiki's still not been updated...)
    kinabalu said:

rcs1000 said:

The hope would be the adjustment is a bit off for this time, as often happens as pollsters fight the last war.
  • WildernessPt2WildernessPt2 Posts: 390
    Leon said:

It seems some people are still confused about how autonomous the Optimus bots were at the Tesla event. This clip is from another video Tesla released a while ago. It shows how the bots are controlled remotely using a haptic suit, kind of like puppets.

Also, during the event, the operators were speaking through a microphone. None of the bots were talking on their own. In short, all the hand movements and speaking were done remotely, but the walking was autonomous.

https://x.com/TroyTeslike/status/1845047695284613344

People claiming this is just how Tesla trains them, but you know....

No one knows. We don't even know if the voices were autunomous. Because the tech certainly exists to make these robots talk autonomously, it just doesn't belong to Musk

People at the event report that some of the robots had glitchy voices, would repeat phrases, then stop and say nothing like an Alexa fritzing out: which implies they really were "talking robots", unless the remote voice workers faked glitches?!
    I was thinking about this last night pondering how much of the robot needs to be on the robot. When you own a low latency low orbit always on, always available internet signal, the AI can be offsite aka chatgpt or something similar. Within a few generations (of AI development) human level conversations would be perfectly doable.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

A reminder if such be needed that progress isn't linear. You often get reverses, some of them quite prolonged.
    Far from my favourite politician but a very talented one. RIP.
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Wow

@donaldtusk

Sure, sure.

The EU Commission agrees with me. They have accused Berlin of effectively suspending Schengen
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,403
    rcs1000 said:

Weirdest coincidence:

I just opened a Medium article on data visualisation, and it referenced the Matthew Walker book.

So, I've never heard of it before, then saw it referenced twice in totally different situations in 30 seconds.

A glitch in the simulation?