Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

As conference season begins – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• mercatormercator Posts: 815

Just dipped into Trump Central, the blog formerly known as politicalbetting.com

Good grief, dipping out again.

Because Tinkerbell Harris will fly into the White House if everyone in the audience claps their hands and says they believe in fairies, but drop down dead if some wicked ogre says they reckon Trump is in with a shout?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,604

TimS said:

Interesting thread about what happens after Ukraine. He might be on to something, unfortunately.

https://x.com/mylovanov/status/1834951758839247074?s=46

Where does the predator go next?

I've been saying similar to that on here for yonks.

"My take is that once the war is over, Russia will regroup and start harassing other countries, not Ukraine."

Russia ae already harassing other countries, even though the war is still ongoing.

Too many people concentrate on the martial aspects of Russia's evil. There is at least one other aspect: the political. If Russia is failing militarily, then they may well be succeeding politically by spreading division amongst its enemies and even getting more 'friendly' regimes into place.

Sadly, some on here are all too willing to do Putin's work for him.
    "Sadly some people are spreading division. It's *them*. *They* are not like *us* who would never be divisive."
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,067

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

stodge said:

On topic, the first Party Conference after a General Election is or can be a non event. For the victors, it becomes a celebration, for the losers, a wake.

The LD Conference kicks off in Brighton today - it's good to see much more outside interest now the party has 72 MPs and is clear third largest in terms of seats. Yet the Party faces some tough questions and challenges and needs to set out the next stage of the journey. As is so often the case, its fate is not in its own hands - yesterday's More In Common suggests the Labour fragmentation is going to the LDs, Greens and Reform rather than the Conservatives as you might expect.

The LDs will, I suspect, focus on the next 50 targets and 38 of them are Conservative-held but of Reform's next 50 targets, 23 are also Conservative held so the potential pincer movement on the Tories is evident but how do the Conservatives simultaenously recapture votes lost to both the LDs and Reform as well as those who stayed at home in July?

As an aside, of the first 150 Conservative targets, only 27 are LD seats

In 2019, the Conservatives won 12,710,845 votes in England (47.2%) - in July they won 6,279.411 (25.9%). Basically, nearly 6.5 million people who voted Conservative in 2019 didn't in July.

Where did all the Tories go?

The Tories went to Labour, Reform and LD and stay at home. I doubt if many are quickly coming back.

The LD plan undoubtedly should be to become the second party, and the way to it is open.

(Speaking of English seats - the rest are too complicated) They are not in a direct contest with Labour, so crucially they need Labour to continue to do well. Have they worked this out? In Lab/Con contests the LDs are unengaged, but it is essential not to have the Tories taking seats off Labour - if they do the Tories continue to come second. So LD need Labour and Reform to continue to eat the Tory vote.

As long as, and only as long as, the Tories are doing relatively badly WRT everyone else, the LD plan works itself. Astonishingly the LDs only need:
    Labour to hold on in relation to the Tories
    and
    LDs to take further 25 Tory seats
    to become the official opposition.

This of course would suit Labour, as the LDs can come second, but can't come first, now or probably ever.

Simple.
    Reform are far more likely to come second than the LDs, not least as they are polling 5%+ higher than the LDs now.

The LDs have probably maxed out their seat gains now, Reform however can gain lots of Labour white working class seats as well as a few more Tory ones
    Only if Reform get a lot better at playing the FPTP ground game.

Whereas the Lib Dems, cheeky sausages
    that they are, know exactly which seats to
    go for. Leafy places where they are second behind the Conservatives with a squeezable
    Labour a decent third.

Plenty of those left.

The Lib Dems did well in terms of number of seats but not particularly in share of the vote. They should be careful not get over excited - 2024 was the perfect storm for the Tories and there is no guarantee that 2029 will be the same
    Obvs no-one knows anything about 2029, but for the first time in ages a possible way forward for the LDs can be discerned. This can't happen if the Tories rejoin the real world, but so far all their potential leaders look like followers and not weather makers to me.

The way is simply this. As luck would have it Labour and LDs do not contest the same seats. There is, despite the Telegraph and Mail, a centrist plurality among the voters. With or without meaning to Labour and LD can split England up between them as a contest between a centre/centre left party on the one hand and a split Tory/Reform on the other.

They need luck, they need Labour to continue moderate (Tories will eat them if they go left), they need Tories and Reform to remain in the hands of a rabble but they need them to continue splitting each other.

And they need only 25 net seat gains from th Tories to be the official opposition.
  • mercator said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:
    That is a big old put-down, but can I raise you 33 slam-dunk Trump fact check "booms" from the same event?
    How about the “eating cats” thing? Supposedly debunked?

Looks like they may, in fact, be eating cats in Ohio

https://x.com/realchrisrufo/status/1834926318883852543?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

The whole story is weirdly reminiscent of the “asylum seekers eating swans” story. Fiercely debunked as right wing bollocks, later on it quietly turned out to be true
    Been reading about Haitian vodou and I want to emigrate there and become a houngan.

It's interesting: animal sacrifice is afaics as normal and necessary a part of vodou as communion is of Christianity. Here's a guardian piece saying so

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/07/vodou-haiti-endangered-faith-soul-of-haitian-people

And vodou is as prevalent among Haitians as Christianity among Ohians. So that's one thing and it doesn't seem to matter too much what sort of animal it is. Separate point, it's entirely good sense to trap and eat standard food animals like geese and ducks (in this country swans and carp) and it's very credible that this has happened a non zero number of times. So trump is quite possibly conflating cat sacrifice and goose consumption.
    Yes I’ve been reading about Haitian voodoo. They sacrifice animals and that definitely includes cats - cat bones and the like have special juju

So it is entirely plausible this really is happening (less likely but not impossible that they are eating them)

As I said at the start. This is a mad story for Dems to pursue because it could easily be true and even if not precisely true it’s not a great story for the pro-migration Left

Trump said enough truly insane and stupid things to demolish him forensically, day after day. Avoid this one, as it may not be insane
    There is a three chapter digression into Haitian Voodoo in PLF's The Traveller's Tree which is well worth it (as the whole book is as a look at the pre-mass-tourism 20th century Carribean).
    Itself referred to by Fleming in I think Dr No but anyway one of the JB novels
    Live and Let Die, I think.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,623
    125 to win.

Glos have bowled extremely well today.

Now, they need to bat well. Somerset have classy bowlers and they are much better fielders than Sussex (whose fielding I picked out as a weakness this morning and was amply on display this afternoon).
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Donald Trump and Laura Loomer, the happy couple

AI images are a bannable offence
    They are, but since it's made Trump look much slimmer than he really is and made Loomer look almost human I don't suppose they will cause problems.
    It’s a real image, not AI. If you want AI images… well, I’ve used up my picture allowance for the day, but try https://x.com/urbanmyths/status/1834718176468234427
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    kjh said:

kjh said:

boulay said:

kjh said:

Just left the Surrey Hills Brewery. So drunk.

Do you mean you are drunk because your trip to brewery or do you mean you are “so drunk” like shitfaced?
    Sober enough to catch a train. Not sober enough to know where I will land up.
    Didn’t @JohnO catch a train from Waterloo to Surrey at one point and wake up in Penzance…
    Got back ok, but somehow found myself in a curry house.
    Better than my effort last night - ended up in a woman I know in the disabled loos of the bar I was in at this same time - the dangers of day drinking.
  • More good news from the US as 'Latin music superstar' Nicky Jam endorsed Trump and the ex-President responded by saying just how hot she is.

Nicky Jam then went up on stage. Nicky Jam is a bloke with a tidy beard
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I repeat my question from earlier today. Why is Payne not playing for England in this format?

Because he plays for Gloucestershire.

Fine performance from Gregory he's cut short there. Another one who maybe should have played a bit more for England.
    Gloucestershire should win this with a total like that but the pitch is doing a lot for the bowlers and Somerset have some good ones. G favourites but not a done deal.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,743
    Woman whose post ignited false Springfield cat claim says it was based on rumor

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/4879994-springfield-rumor-haitian-immigrants-facebook-post/
    The woman whose social media post helped ignite false claims of pets being eaten in Springfield, Ohio, said Friday the post was based on a rumor and that she feels remorse for the Haitian immigrants.
    Erika Lee, a Springfield resident, recently authored a post on Facebook, saying that her neighbor’s cat was lost and she was told it was because the pet was attacked by a Haitian immigrant.
    Kimberly Newton, Lee’s neighbor, acknowledged this week to NewsGuard, “I don’t actually know the person who lost the cat.” Newton added that the cat’s owner was “an acquaintance of a friend.”
    Now, Lee, has said she was sorry about the way the events unfolded, with the unfounded conspiracy theories about Haitian immigrants amplified by both former President Trump and his vice presidential pick, Ohio Sen. JD Vance (R). ..

PB righties reaction - Trump’s race baiting is genius.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Nigelb said:

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/4879994-springfield-rumor-haitian-immigrants-facebook-post/
    The woman whose social media post helped ignite false claims of pets being eaten in Springfield, Ohio, said Friday the post was based on a rumor and that she feels remorse for the Haitian immigrants.
    Erika Lee, a Springfield resident, recently authored a post on Facebook, saying that her neighbor’s cat was lost and she was told it was because the pet was attacked by a Haitian immigrant.
    Kimberly Newton, Lee’s neighbor, acknowledged this week to NewsGuard, “I don’t actually know the person who lost the cat.” Newton added that the cat’s owner was “an acquaintance of a friend.”
    Now, Lee, has said she was sorry about the way the events unfolded, with the unfounded conspiracy theories about Haitian immigrants amplified by both former President Trump and his vice presidential pick, Ohio Sen. JD Vance (R). ..

Well, here you are giving the story another push, and on we go

QED

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

I repeat my question from earlier today. Why is Payne not playing for England in this format?

Fine performance from Gregory he's cut short there. Another one who maybe should have played a bit more for England.
    Gloucestershire should win this with a total like that but the pitch is doing a lot for the bowlers and Somerset have some good ones. G favourites but not a done deal.
    That seems fair.

Could be a tight finish.

As a Shire supporter, I would point out that even England can't collapse as well as Gloucestershire can. That's not to say they have a bad batting lineup. Bancroft and Bracey did them proud this afternoon and are both ex-internationals who probably should have played more for their countries. The Price brothers should both play for England at some point. Hammond already should have done. But there isn't the consistency you get from say, Surrey or Essex.

Looking forward to it, anyway, even as I'm still working on stuff for next week.
  • I hadn’t realised that JENRICK had endorsed Trump. Dear me, what an absolute tool.

D
    O
    N
    A
    L
    D
    TimS said:

Interesting thread about what happens after Ukraine. He might be on to something, unfortunately.

He is asking the same question as the rest of us, and not really saying much more than that: Will Russia attack. by invasion, NATO territory? We don't know, but since NATO was formed they haven't.

If Trump wins, the 'don't know' gets a little firmer.
    ydoethur said:

mercator said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:
    That is a big old put-down, but can I raise you 33 slam-dunk Trump fact check "booms" from the same event?

https://x.com/realchrisrufo/status/1834926318883852543?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

The whole story is weirdly reminiscent of the “asylum seekers eating swans” story. Fiercely debunked as right wing bollocks, later on it quietly turned out to be true
    Been reading about Haitian vodou and I want to emigrate there and become a houngan.

It's interesting: animal sacrifice is afaics as normal and necessary a part of vodou as communion is of Christianity. Here's a guardian piece saying so

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/07/vodou-haiti-endangered-faith-soul-of-haitian-people

And vodou is as prevalent among Haitians as Christianity among Ohians. So that's one thing and it doesn't seem to matter too much what sort of animal it is. Separate point, it's entirely good sense to trap and eat standard food animals like geese and ducks (in this country swans and carp) and it's very credible that this has happened a non zero number of times. So trump is quite possibly conflating cat sacrifice and goose consumption.
    Yes I’ve been reading about Haitian voodoo. They sacrifice animals and that definitely includes cats - cat bones and the like have special juju

So it is entirely plausible this really is happening (less likely but not impossible that they are eating them)

As I said at the start. This is a mad story for Dems to pursue because it could easily be true and even if not precisely true it’s not a great story for the pro-migration Left

Trump said enough truly insane and stupid things to demolish him forensically, day after day. Avoid this one, as it may not be insane
    It's not the only case where people opposed to Trump have made fools of themselves by 'fact checking' him.

It was supposedly a lie that Kamala Harris supported state-funded gender surgery for detained migrants, but there's a video of her bragging about it. Some of it is outright gaslighting, like the Seattle Times trying to say that it was a lie that protesters took over part of Seattle in 2020.
    Fact checking Trump is indeed a fool's errand. You never get the time back. With an habitual liar it's best to just assume they're lying.
    That's a problem if you publicly accuse him of lying and it turns out that he wasn't wrong.
    How so?
    Looks like they are indeed killing and possibly eating cats in Springfield, Ohio

I WARNED THEM ABOUT THIS. DON’T GO THERE, I SAID. REMEMBER THE SUN AND THE SWANS AND THE ASYLUM SEEKERS

Did they listen? Pah
    You're right, they didn't listen, because it isn't happening. Linking to a Twitter account run by a not very intelligent far right conspiracy theorist which claims there is paedophilia in every school disguised as LGBTQ teaching rather than engaging with the town's mayor who has dismissed it as bullshit doesn't alter that.
    Is its truth the most important thing about it? The European Jewish blood libel obviously wasn't true, but that doesn't prevent it having rather far reaching consequences.
    What it says about Trump's mental state and ideas for America is by far the most important thing about it.

It says nothing good.
    Well of course it doesn't but you are not in the pulpit and if you were your congregation doesn't get to vote. Of course trump is mad and horrible, but history is largely the study of mad and horrible men doing mad and horrible things. If you were writing a biography of Alexander or Napoleon or Stalin you presumably wouldn't double its length by pointing out in every chapter what a c__t your subject was? I know Trump is a c__t and I am not interested, what I want to know is is he potus 47?
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

TimS said:

"My take is that once the war is over, Russia will regroup and start harassing other countries, not Ukraine."

Russia ae already harassing other countries, even though the war is still ongoing.

Too many people concentrate on the martial aspects of Russia's evil. There is at least one other aspect: the political. If Russia is failing militarily, then they may well be succeeding politically by spreading division amongst its enemies and even getting more 'friendly' regimes into place.

The novel idea in that thread is that he’ll leave Ukraine alone because it’s been shown to be too prickly, and other places are easier pickings.

Georgia again, I think, and Moldova as Leon says. Plus at least one of the Baltics.

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

They are, but since it's made Trump look much slimmer than he really is and made Loomer look almost human I don't suppose they will cause problems.
    It’s a real image, not AI. If you want AI images… well, I’ve used up my picture allowance for the day, but try https://x.com/urbanmyths/status/1834718176468234427
    Errrr...a trigger warning would have been appreciated. I've just eaten and they're complaining about the vomit all the way to Penkridge.

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

It’s a fake AI image, you fucking moron. Its obvious

https://x.com/jesse_brenneman/status/1691558388088599021?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

That means:

1. You’re a gullible fool, but we knew that

2. You should now be banned

Perhaps the mods will show sympathy due to your idiocy
    mercator said:

ydoethur said:

mercator said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

It's not the only case where people opposed to Trump have made fools of themselves by 'fact checking' him.

It was supposedly a lie that Kamala Harris supported state-funded gender surgery for detained migrants, but there's a video of her bragging about it. Some of it is outright gaslighting, like the Seattle Times trying to say that it was a lie that protesters took over part of Seattle in 2020.
    Fact checking Trump is indeed a fool's errand. You never get the time back. With an habitual liar it's best to just assume they're lying.
    That's a problem if you publicly accuse him of lying and it turns out that he wasn't wrong.
    How so?
    Looks like they are indeed killing and possibly eating cats in Springfield, Ohio

I WARNED THEM ABOUT THIS. DON’T GO THERE, I SAID. REMEMBER THE SUN AND THE SWANS AND THE ASYLUM SEEKERS

Did they listen? Pah
    You're right, they didn't listen, because it isn't happening. Linking to a Twitter account run by a not very intelligent far right conspiracy theorist which claims there is paedophilia in every school disguised as LGBTQ teaching rather than engaging with the town's mayor who has dismissed it as bullshit doesn't alter that.
    Is its truth the most important thing about it? The European Jewish blood libel obviously wasn't true, but that doesn't prevent it having rather far reaching consequences.
    What it says about Trump's mental state and ideas for America is by far the most important thing about it.

It says nothing good.
    Well of course it doesn't but you are not in the pulpit and if you were your congregation doesn't get to vote. Of course trump is mad and horrible, but history is largely the study of mad and horrible men doing mad and horrible things. If you were writing a biography of Alexander or Napoleon or Stalin you presumably wouldn't double its length by pointing out in every chapter what a c__t your subject was? I know Trump is a c__t and I am not interested, what I want to know is is he potus 47?
    Well, Simon Sebag Montefiore did just that...
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,901
    edited September 14
    Nigelb said:

You can simultaneously appreciate that the race-baiting from Trump is both evil and also serves to dominate the news cycle. I've noticed similar comments on Facebook, the BBC website and in the comments sections of newspapers in Scotland, and I'm not entirely sure they are ironic.

The obvious glee at this episode from some posters is a bit unsavoury, however. I remember how frustrated people were when that Labour councillor was arrested during the riots as it so beautifully undermined the "two-tier" meme. It speaks to a form of wishcasting. People really want the cat-eating to be true. They want race-based voting in the USA. They want race riots in the UK.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

That’ll cheer up @ydoethur.
    Nigelb said:

Oh FFS. Most children have developed a theory of mind by the age of 3.
  • Leon said:

Has everything else apart from the pet eating been memory-holed from the debate already?

Feels like it. Which isn’t good for Harris as the pet-eating story has legs (in a tasty hot BBQ sauce)
    Just tucked into my vegan no-dog Cambodian dog curry :yum:
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112

TimS said:

"Sadly some people are spreading division. It's *them*. *They* are not like *us* who would never be divisive."
    So I hear you’re doing moral equivalence with Russia now, Williamglenn?

• DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

https://x.com/jesse_brenneman/status/1691558388088599021?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

That means:

You prick. At most, the bottom half of the image is AI, the rest was posted by the *subject* of the photograph, you arrogant clueless moron.

https://x.com/LauraLoomer/status/1690874231096020992

The vocabulary doesn’t exist to express how much contempt I have for you. And keep your pithy comebacks about how stupid, pathetic and subhuman I am. I’ve heard them all. You’ve told me enough times.
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    mercator said:

Because Tinkerbell Harris will fly into the White House if everyone in the audience claps their hands and says they believe in fairies, but drop down dead if some wicked ogre says they reckon Trump is in with a shout?
    Seriously? This is just demented nonsense.

The election remains wide open and we know US polling is not without its flaws. Why are those who mention anything positive about Trump so hyper-sensitive?

He could win, he might win - he might lose, he could lose.

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

He said 'Glos should win.' That's not cheered me up exactly...

And Somerset are bowling very well.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    edited September 14
    algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

stodge said:

On topic, the first Party Conference after a General Election is or can be a non event. For the victors, it becomes a celebration, for the losers, a wake.

The LD Conference kicks off in Brighton today - it's good to see much more outside interest now the party has 72 MPs and is clear third largest in terms of seats. Yet the Party faces some tough questions and challenges and needs to set out the next stage of the journey. As is so often the case, its fate is not in its own hands - yesterday's More In Common suggests the Labour fragmentation is going to the LDs, Greens and Reform rather than the Conservatives as you might expect.

The LDs will, I suspect, focus on the next 50 targets and 38 of them are Conservative-held but of Reform's next 50 targets, 23 are also Conservative held so the potential pincer movement on the Tories is evident but how do the Conservatives simultaenously recapture votes lost to both the LDs and Reform as well as those who stayed at home in July?

In 2019, the Conservatives won 12,710,845 votes in England (47.2%) - in July they won 6,279.411 (25.9%). Basically, nearly 6.5 million people who voted Conservative in 2019 didn't in July.

The Tories went to Labour, Reform and LD and stay at home. I doubt if many are quickly coming back.

The LD plan undoubtedly should be to become the second party, and the way to it is open.

(Speaking of English seats - the rest are too complicated) They are not in a direct contest with Labour, so crucially they need Labour to continue to do well. Have they worked this out? In Lab/Con contests the LDs are unengaged, but it is essential not to have the Tories taking seats off Labour - if they do the Tories continue to come second. So LD need Labour and Reform to continue to eat the Tory vote.

As long as, and only as long as, the Tories are doing relatively badly WRT everyone else, the LD plan works itself. Astonishingly the LDs only need:
    and

This of course would suit Labour, as the LDs can come second, but can't come first, now or probably ever.

Simple.
    Reform are far more likely to come second than the LDs, not least as they are polling 5%+ higher than the LDs now.

The LDs have probably maxed out their seat gains now, Reform however can gain lots of Labour white working class seats as well as a few more Tory ones

go for. Leafy places where they are second behind the Conservatives with a squeezable
    Labour a decent third.

Plenty of those left.

The Lib Dems did well in terms of number of seats but not particularly in share of the vote. They should be careful not get over excited - 2024 was the perfect storm for the Tories and there is no guarantee that 2029 will be the same
    Obvs no-one knows anything about 2029, but for the first time in ages a possible way forward for the LDs can be discerned. This can't happen if the Tories rejoin the real world, but so far all their potential leaders look like followers and not weather makers to me.

The way is simply this. As luck would have it Labour and LDs do not contest the same seats. There is, despite the Telegraph and Mail, a centrist plurality among the voters. With or without meaning to Labour and LD can split England up between them as a contest between a centre/centre left party on the one hand and a split Tory/Reform on the other.

They need luck, they need Labour to continue moderate (Tories will eat them if they go left), they need Tories and Reform to remain in the hands of a rabble but they need them to continue splitting each other.

And they need only 25 net seat gains from th Tories to be the official opposition.
    Already the swing from Labour to Tory since the GE is triple any swing from Tory to LD. So near zero chance of that given the latest poll has the Tories gaining over 50 Labour seats but the LDs gaining only Godalming and Ash from the Tories
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,278
    edited September 14
    "England risk ban from their own Euros, Uefa warns"

"Officials have told ministers that Labour plans for a state-run football watchdog put the independence of the sport in jeopardy"

https://www.thetimes.com/article/55c37c8e-3b59-491f-b3a2-73620b92819d?shareToken=4a5fd0b48c1b8f475ca48aecbaf2ef39

I mean, it won't happen, but amusing nonetheless.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

If it was July 125 would be trivial. But mid-September and everything feels tricky chasing.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    mercator said:

ydoethur said:

mercator said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

How so?

Did they listen? Pah

It says nothing good.
    No. He's tracking to lose.
    Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

You can simultaneously appreciate that the race-baiting from Trump is both evil and also serves to dominate the news cycle. I've noticed similar comments on Facebook, the BBC website and in the comments sections of newspapers in Scotland, and I'm not entirely sure they are ironic.

The obvious glee at this episode from some posters is a bit unsavoury, however. I remember how frustrated people were when that Labour councillor was arrested during the riots as it so beautifully undermined the "two-tier" meme. It speaks to a form of wishcasting. People really want the cat-eating to be true. They want race-based voting in the USA. They want race riots in the UK.
    I think Harris’s surrogates should lean into it and say this makes clear Trump’s plans to abuse the powers of the Presidency for mass deportation of legal immigrants.
    Which seems to be pretty well true.

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

If it was July 125 would be trivial. But mid-September and everything feels tricky chasing.
    Glos defended 138 on this ground a few days ago.

Now, Somerset do not have Payne and Taylor. But Alleyne and Jack Taylor will not be taking these lightly. These are classy bowlers and 125 wouldn't have been an easy chase against Sussex.

Also, the lights are on. That may make bowling harder. Or it may make seeing the ball harder...
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258

mercator said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

There is a three chapter digression into Haitian Voodoo in PLF's The Traveller's Tree which is well worth it (as the whole book is as a look at the pre-mass-tourism 20th century Carribean).
    Baron Samedi. A registered independent iirc.
  • HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

stodge said:

and

Simple.

Labour a decent third.

Plenty of those left.

Already the swing from Labour to Tory since the GE is triple any swing from Tory to LD. So near zero chance of that given the latest poll has the Tories gaining over 50 Labour seats but the LDs gaining only Godalming and Ash from the Tories
    But, and I don't believe I'm still saying it,

It don't mean a thing
    If it's uniform swing.

For now, Lib Dems could not give a flying one about their national vote share. They have worked out that their next step depends on how they do in the 75ish seats they hold and the 25-50ish seats they would like to gain next time.

Their success or failure in that endeavour simply isn't going to show up in the national polls.
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    kinabalu said:

mercator said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Names are for tombstones baby
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,040
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Now, Somerset do not have Payne and Taylor. But Alleyne and Jack Taylor will not be taking these lightly. These are classy bowlers and 125 wouldn't have been an easy chase against Sussex.

Also, the lights are on. That may make bowling harder. Or it may make seeing the ball harder...
    Do you mean for the batters or the fielders?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,419
    carnforth said:

"England risk ban from their own Euros, Uefa warns"

"Officials have told ministers that Labour plans for a state-run football watchdog put the independence of the sport in jeopardy"

https://www.thetimes.com/article/55c37c8e-3b59-491f-b3a2-73620b92819d?shareToken=4a5fd0b48c1b8f475ca48aecbaf2ef39

I mean, it won't happen, but amusing nonetheless.

One of the regulars here commented that struggle at the moment is between transnational corporations and governments. Who rules?

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Both, but particularly the batters. There were comments that some Somerset players couldn't see the ball too well at the end of the evening.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    edited September 14

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

stodge said:

and

Simple.

Labour a decent third.

Plenty of those left.

It don't mean a thing
    If it's uniform swing.

For now, Lib Dems could not give a flying one about their national vote share. They have worked out that their next step depends on how they do in the 75ish seats they hold and the 25-50ish seats they would like to gain next time.

Their success or failure in that endeavour simply isn't going to show up in the national polls.
    It will, it was the Tory collapse from 43% in 2019 to 24% in 2024 that gained them their 70 odd seats NOT the 1% increase in LD national voteshare.

If the Tories rose to 30% next time and the LDs stayed at 12% the Tories would regain seats from the LDs.

If the Tories declined further in voteshare then the LDs would gain some more Tory seats but only then to any significant degree
    Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

I think Harris’s surrogates should lean into it and say this makes clear Trump’s plans to abuse the powers of the Presidency for mass deportation of legal immigrants.

I think there is small opening to assert that Trump wants to deport black people, rather than just immigrants. You would have to ensure it didn't sound melodramatic.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    I am surprised the Loser hasn't attacked these Haitian immigrants: "In 1999, Barrett married fellow Notre Dame Law School graduate Jesse M. Barrett, a partner at SouthBank Legal – LaDue Curran & Kuehn LLC, in South Bend, Indiana,[218] and a law professor at Notre Dame Law School.[219] Previously, Jesse Barrett had worked as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Northern District of Indiana for 13 years.[220] The couple live in South Bend and have seven children, two of whom were adopted from Haiti, one in 2005 and one after the 2010 Haiti earthquake."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Coney_Barrett#Personal_life
    stodge said:

mercator said:

The election remains wide open and we know US polling is not without its flaws. Why are those who mention anything positive about Trump so hyper-sensitive?

Because morons, a class which I am sure does not include you, visit the site, see posts which tentatively suggest that Trump might win, and say moronic things. It's soooo tedious having to explain that saying that Trump might derive some benefit from the Springfield thing, does not imply liking trump or hating cats and Haitians. Without any exaggeration at all, it's like me saying Hitler's rise to power was helped by the Jewish blood libel, and having a chorus of invertebrates saying Hur Hur, nazi-loving antisemite.

I hate trump, I desperately want him to lose, I have made a stack of money backing Harris before senile Joe dropped out, (and have now cashed out). But I find it disturbing that I live on the same planet as people who are incapable of understanding that I expect a thing to happen does not imply I want that thing to happen.
    CatMan said:

kinabalu said:

mercator said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Has she bad luck, the horse of Danbala?" boomed the iron voice of Ougou Feray, and for an instant Bobby thought he saw a figure flicker in the gray fog. The voice hooted its
    terrible laughter.

"Indeed! Indeed! But she knows it not! She is not my horse, no, else I would cure her luck!"

Bobby wanted to cry, to die, anything to escape the voices, the utterly impossible wind that had started to blow out of the gray warps, a hot damp wind that smelled of things he couldn't identify.

"And she calls praise on the Virgin! Hear
    me, little sister! La Vy~j draws close indeed!"

"Yes," said the other, "she moves through my province now, I who rule the roads, the highways

"But I, Ougou Feray, tell you that your enemies draw near as well! To the gates, sister, and beware"'
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,959
    edited September 14
    mercator said:

ydoethur said:

mercator said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

How so?

Did they listen? Pah

It says nothing good.
    Of course Trump could win. The assumption that people on here talk up his chances thanks to deep objective insight into the outcome of the election is off beam in my opinion. They do so because they rather approve of despotic mysogenists like Trump.

We all have our priors and maybe the rest of us will be proved wrong about the outcome, but we'll be wrong for the respectable reason that we can't bear thinking about the catastrophe that will be President-again Trump.

The Trump rampers for their part are simply wrong.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252
    edited September 14
    Interesting to see the number of EU flags at the last night of the proms. They possibly outnumber the union jacks.

CatMan said:

kinabalu said:

mercator said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

Has she bad luck, the horse of Danbala?" boomed the iron voice of Ougou Feray, and for an instant Bobby thought he saw a figure flicker in the gray fog. The voice hooted its
    terrible laughter.

"Indeed! Indeed! But she knows it not! She is not my horse, no, else I would cure her luck!"

Bobby wanted to cry, to die, anything to escape the voices, the utterly impossible wind that had started to blow out of the gray warps, a hot damp wind that smelled of things he couldn't identify.

"Yes," said the other, "she moves through my province now, I who rule the roads, the highways

"But I, Ougou Feray, tell you that your enemies draw near as well! To the gates, sister, and beware"'
    Enough of that, or I will write vévés in your brain.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    More on this.

"The government has defended the early release of prisoners after it emerged a former inmate allegedly sexually assaulted a woman on the same day he was freed.

Amari Ward, 31, was released as part of the policy, which aims to ease prison overcrowding, on Tuesday.

He appeared at Croydon Magistrates' Court on Thursday charged with sexual assault and is due to appear at Maidstone Crown Court next month.

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) said the early release scheme was necessary because it had "inherited prisons in crisis and on the brink of collapse". Reoffenders would be punished, it added.

Ward is alleged to have "intentionally touched" a woman who did not consent in Sittingbourne, Kent, on Tuesday, according to court documents seen by the BBC."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cnvdy22gje4o

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

HYUFD said:

algarkirk said:

stodge said:

and

Simple.

Labour a decent third.

Plenty of those left.

It don't mean a thing
    If it's uniform swing.

Yes; they could (not saying they will) become HM loyal opposition with about 14% of the vote, and behind both Reform and the Tories.

If this happened, FPTP starts getting tested to destruction, just as the LDs start thinking it has a point after all.
    Andy_JS said:

More on this.

"The government has defended the early release of prisoners after it emerged a former inmate allegedly sexually assaulted a woman on the same day he was freed.

Amari Ward, 31, was released as part of the policy, which aims to ease prison overcrowding, on Tuesday.

He appeared at Croydon Magistrates' Court on Thursday charged with sexual assault and is due to appear at Maidstone Crown Court next month.

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) said the early release scheme was necessary because it had "inherited prisons in crisis and on the brink of collapse". Reoffenders would be punished, it added.

Ward is alleged to have "intentionally touched" a woman who did not consent in Sittingbourne, Kent, on Tuesday, according to court documents seen by the BBC."

The folks who instigated the riots have much to answer for.
    Andy_JS said:

More on this.

Well over 99% of prisoners get released sometime. Stuff like this, sadly, happens every day by virtue of the fact that prisoners get released. Gosh.
    mercator said:

CatMan said:

kinabalu said:

mercator said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

terrible laughter.

Ha! Steppin’ Razor would find you. Or maybe Turner.
    edited September 14

Interesting to see the number of EU flags at the last night of the proms. They possibly outnumber the union jacks.

They are handed out by propagandists at the door.

Go on youtube and watch a Last Night from ten years ago. German flags, Irish flags, Italian flags. Not a single EU flag.
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,848

More good news from the US as 'Latin music superstar' Nicky Jam endorsed Trump and the ex-President responded by saying just how hot she is.

Nicky Jam then went up on stage. Nicky Jam is a bloke with a tidy beard

Do Trumps followers know he likes blokes with beards?

mercator said:

CatMan said:

kinabalu said:

mercator said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

terrible laughter.

Everything about the trilogy is genius, down to the common English surnames. Case is a case, Turner turns people, Newmark is a new mark.

And the sky above the port is always the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
    DougSeal said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That means:

You prick. At most, the bottom half of the image is AI, the rest was posted by the *subject* of the photograph, you arrogant clueless moron.

https://x.com/LauraLoomer/status/1690874231096020992

The vocabulary doesn’t exist to express how much contempt I have for you. And keep your pithy comebacks about how stupid, pathetic and subhuman I am. I’ve heard them all. You’ve told me enough times.
    Half of the image is fake, and AI generated. The guy admits it

I can easily believe you don't have a vocabulary to express your feelings, if that's any reassurance
    edited September 14
    Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

I think there is small opening to assert that Trump wants to deport black people, rather than just immigrants. You would have to ensure it didn't sound melodramatic.
    He has declared in plain terms that he intends to start his mass deportations with Springfield. With the Haitians who are legal immigrants.
    He’s said he’ll change the law do so.

What assurance does any first or second generation legal immigrant have that the same won’t happen to them ?
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252
    carnforth said:

Go on youtube and watch a Last Night from ten years ago. German flags, Irish flags, Italian flags. Not a single EU flag.
    Yes, there are flags of other nations visible tonight, but the number of EU flags is striking.
    edited September 14
    mercator said:

mercator said:

CatMan said:

kinabalu said:

mercator said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

terrible laughter.

Everything about the trilogy is genius, down to the common English surnames. Case is a case, Turner turns people, Newmark is a new mark.

And the sky above the port is always the colour of television, tuned to a dead channel.
    Count Zero is the start of something new - Count Zero and Interrupt….

And Conroy…

I’ll always be in the alley, in the snow, watching the laser scan the candles and the Moskovaskya Black Label…..

"But he doesn't seem to trust that stuff at all."

"It doesn't matter," Lucas said as the Rolls came into view. "He's always been close to the spirit of the thing."
    Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

Yes, that's a much smarter take than trying to wrestle in the Trumpite mudpits of "do Haitians eat Ohio's cats"
    NO, CANADA, I DON'T WANT TO DRIVE TO GET A COFFEE AND A SANDWICH

carnforth said:

Yes, there are flags of other nations visible tonight, but the number of EU flags is striking.
    Right, but the flags of other nations were brought to the ceremony by the participants themselves. Actual effort.

(Actually, the EU flag-handers-out have slightly more of a point in recent years: they claim to be protesting for a better deal for travelling musicians, but the first few years from 2016 onward was simple petulance.)
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,848
    Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

I think there is small opening to assert that Trump wants to deport black people, rather
    than just immigrants. You would have to ensure it didn't sound melodramatic.
    Surely he would just be reversing the evil of the triangular trade?

(This is a joke fir the avoidance of doubt)
    Miles Hammond taking a real pounding here. And Cameron Bancroft is living dangerously.

But they have made it so far...
    Leon said:

There are worse places in the world than Tim Hortons.

carnforth said:

@carnforth is right, tho. This has been a feature since Brexit

The Remoaners hand them out at the door to make some kind of "statement", but given that they all end up singing Rule Britannia I'm not sure, at this late stage, what sort of statement they are trying to make. Perhaps they are tangentially expressing otherwise-forbidden support for Madame Le Pen and the AfD

mercator said:

mercator said:

CatMan said:

kinabalu said:

mercator said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

terrible laughter.

And Conroy…

I’ll always be in the alley, in the snow, watching the laser scan the candles and the Moskovaskya Black Label…..

"It doesn't matter," Lucas said as the Rolls came into view. "He's always been close to the spirit of the thing."
    Load of spades working out of new jersey, made the Wig seem flat fucking normal.
    Eabhal said:

Andy_JS said:

More on this.

The folks who instigated the riots have much to answer for.
    But we didn't have any riots in Scotland and the Scottish government is doing exactly the same.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731
    Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

He has declared in plain terms that he intends to start his mass deportations with Springfield. With the Haitians who are legal immigrants.

What assurance does any first or second generation legal immigrant have that the same won’t happen to them ?
    Including Elon and Melania...
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,019
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Both, but particularly the batters. There were comments that some Somerset players couldn't see the ball too well at the end of the evening.
    Mate, Gloucestershire have won. It's just a question of how big their victory will be.
    Foxy said:

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Nigelb said:

Including Elon and Melania...
    Or Trump, if Vance gets bored waiting to kill all women.
    CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Mate, Gloucestershire have won. It's just a question of how big their victory will be.
    With Glos, you dare not say that until the last ball is bowled. I've seen them lose 9-25 before.
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

There are worse places in the world than Tim Hortons.
    And I do believe I might have found one

Honestly, I hate north American car culture. I think that, plus the tipping, is by itself enough to ensure I could never live here

I like the IDEA of north America, it's just the reality that too-frequently disappoints
    When Bancroft was signed, I wondered why they had signed a player whose previous spells with the Shire had been underwhelming, who was best known in Tests for stuffing sandpaper down his pants, and who was not known for his one-day play which Alleyne thought was the priority.

I am delighted to see this confusion was as wrong as most of my cricket predictions.
    edited September 14
    Didn't expect this. What an incredible partnership. Made this look easy.

Woops, but way too late for Somerset.
    Gloucestershire last won a trophy in 2015.

Incredibly, David Payne, Tom Smith and Jack Taylor all played in that match (as did Chris Dent, who isn't there today but hasn't officially retired yet).

But it's good to see they're creating - I hope - their own little bit of history.

10-12 would be spectacular even by their standards.
  • PB holiday pic quiz time.

Which reasonably well known establishment am I gracing with my Edward Green correspondent shoes? It’s had its ups and downs and to be brutally frank is a reconstruction. Clue: baby blanket.

DavidL said:

Didn't expect this. What an incredible partnership. Made this look easy.

England really are missing a trick not calling up Hammond for T20Is. Far superior to Jacks.
    mercator said:

mercator said:

mercator said:

CatMan said:

kinabalu said:

mercator said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

terrible laughter.

And Conroy…

Load of spades working out of new jersey, made the Wig seem flat fucking normal.
    “Bodine Wilson," he said. `First guy I ever knew wound up as a figure of speech."

"Was he stupid?" Bobby asked, immediately regretting it

"Stupid? Shit, no, he was smart as hell." The Finn stubbed his cigarette out in a cracked ceramic Campan ashtray. “Just a total fuck-up, was all”
    They couldn't...could they?

*bites fingernails hard*
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053

CatMan said:

kinabalu said:

mercator said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

terrible laughter.

...and I didn't have to look it up :)

PB holiday pic quiz time.

Which reasonably well known establishment am I gracing with my Edward Green correspondent shoes? It’s had its ups and downs and to be brutally frank is a reconstruction. Clue: baby blanket.

Hmm. Nice one

Claridge's?

Cool shoes!

¿Quién sabe?

I think it's co-respondent - third party in a divorce case?

Looks nice anyway.

Together with the hat are you channelling your inner George Galloway ?
    edited September 14
    I would like, on behalf of all Gloucestershire fans and players, to register my deep and sincere appreciation to the great contribution made to this victory by the committee of Lancashire County Cricket Club.

Mark Alleyne - straight back in and wins the Blast in his first season, Ollie Price winning it with a 6 and Syd Lawrence there to see it.

Trump tower, if my eyesight is correct.

Edward Greens? Up in my estimation. Correspondent shoes? Down. What are you, a 2004 AskAndyAboutClothes poster?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,502
    edited September 14
    mercator said:

¿Quién sabe?

Looks nice anyway.
    You’re probably correct but whippersnappers of today seem to favour correspondent. If I hadn’t used up my photo allowance I’d show a pic of my Cosmopolitan & smoked almonds. Piano player currently murdering As Time Goes By.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    edited September 14
    I trust everyone's watching the Last Night of the Proms. 😊

mercator said:

¿Quién sabe?

Looks nice anyway.
    You’re probably correct but whippersnappers of today seem to favour correspondent. If I hadn’t used up my photo allowance I’d show a pic of my Cosmopolitan & smoked almonds. Piano player currently murdering As Time Goes By.
    Rick's in Casablanca?
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    edited September 14
    mercator said:

stodge said:

mercator said:

Because morons, a class which I am sure does not include you, visit the site, see posts which tentatively suggest that Trump might win, and say moronic things. It's soooo tedious having to explain that saying that Trump might derive some benefit from the Springfield thing, does not imply liking trump or hating cats and Haitians. Without any exaggeration at all, it's like me saying Hitler's rise to power was helped by the Jewish blood libel, and having a chorus of invertebrates saying Hur Hur, nazi-loving antisemite.

I hate trump, I desperately want him to lose, I have made a stack of money backing Harris before senile Joe dropped out, (and have now cashed out). But I find it disturbing that I live on the same planet as people who are incapable of understanding that I expect a thing to happen does not imply I want that thing to happen.
    Indeed but separating the politically engaged from the politically disengaged is where this falls down. Those of us who understand politics can argue the "Springfield thing" "might" help Trump or rather see a way in which it could but that's true of almost any sentence in the English language.

Those whose political engagement is more fleeting and those whose political analysis comes from the spinning of others see a comment where Trump has claimed Haitian immigrants are eating pets and if that doesn't resonate with their experience it sounds ridiculous.

Some are trying to defend Trump's comment by claiming it is rooted in fact - perhaps it is - but we all know "facts" and "perceptions" are two different things. Do people generally believe immigrants are eating pets? I suspect not - I suspect the same would be true here if Lee Anderson or Nigel Farage were to make a similar claim. It's probably easy to find some evidence it might be true but it doesn't "sound" right or possible.

It comes down to politics by scapegoating - let's blame the immigrants for everything that's wrong. They are an easy target - it's the dark side of populist politics. Let's blame "the blob", the "Deep State" etc, etc.
    Andy_JS said:

I don't mind the rampant nationalism, but those arseholes dipping at the knees in time to the music make my teeth itch.
    Andy_JS said:

I trust everyone's watching the Last Night of the Proms.

Nah. Strictly

And eating blackberry and apple crumble made from my own produce.
    Trump doubling down on the loony tunes stuff: https://www.politico.com/news/2024/09/13/trump-trudeau-castro-conspiracy-00179118

Now claiming that Justin Trudeau is Fidel Castro's son. Canadians are a bit underwhelmed.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,042
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Well, here you are giving the story another push, and on we go

QED

True - the story would have died ages ago if it wasn't for people on pb.com keeping it alive.

SHUT UP ABOUT THE CAT-EATING HAITIANS EVERYONE - YOU'RE MAKING LEON LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT HELPING TRUMP WIN!

mercator said:

mercator said:

mercator said:

CatMan said:

kinabalu said:

mercator said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

mercator said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

terrible laughter.

And Conroy…

“Bodine Wilson," he said. `First guy I ever knew wound up as a figure of speech."

"Was he stupid?" Bobby asked, immediately regretting it

"Stupid? Shit, no, he was smart as hell." The Finn stubbed his cigarette out in a cracked ceramic Campan ashtray. “Just a total fuck-up, was all”
    "You sentient, Dix?

Well it *feels* like I am, but I ain't gonna write you no poetry. You follow me?"

Every AI has an electromagnetic shotgun wired to its head to stop it making itself any smarter.

The whole AI debate is encapsulated there, in sentences written on a mechanical typewriter in the 1980s.
  • AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,944

Long time since I've seen a hat like that, very smart.

Good evening, all.

Together with the hat are you channelling your inner George Galloway ?
    He wishes!
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

That's not interesting. It's been going on for years now.

They set up a Remoaner stall outside the Albert Hall every time now and hand them out for free to "celebrate our European musicians".

They find a willing audience because most who go are well-off, internationalist, liberal urbanites, and many aren't even British at all.
  • Andy_JS said:

Yep. I try and watch and listen to all the Prom concerts though the summer and The Last Night for me marks the start of autumn and my Sacred Season.