Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

As conference season begins – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    If cutting the WFA stabilises the economy, what a multiplier effect the grey pound has! Skir and Rachel should consider a bingo tax for further stabilisation
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Ok this place is schizophrenic. Suddenly the sun has come out and I’ve done loads of work and I’ve realised my hotel has a bar by the lake and it feels like I’m sitting with a cold one by Lake Como in July, but everyone speaks English and there’s no mad traffic or mafia

I’d post a photo but I’m not sure if I have allowance left

Anyway. Canada rocks. I love the fact you can drive everywhere without hassle. Such a good system
    I WANT TO LIVE HERE
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    Andy_JS said:

Nunu3 said:

National Polling Average Update- September 14th Kamala Harris leads by 3 points in the national polling average Only A/B rated pollsters are included

https://x.com/VoteHubUS/status/1835000791209230621

3 points isn't necessarily enough. Pennsylvania is still neck-and-neck.
    Trump has a three-point hat. My head canon says that Clinton had a 2-and-a-bit lead and lost. Biden had a 4-and-a-bit lead and won. 3 points is the tipping point.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,960
    edited September 14
    Leon said:

BBC News: "Sir Keir Starmer has said that the cut to winter fuel allowance was necessary to stabilise the economy"

Really?

Has he said this?

If so, it is utter bollocks.

No one in the bond markets gives a shit about WFA.

This is absolutely embarrassing now. No one believes this. Just STFU

Are they panicking? What is this for?
    Remember in SKS/Reeves world everyone under 60 is still angry and bitter at the Boomers voting Brexit and being frequently Conservative voters...

So they thought giving the oldies a punishment beating by taking away their WFA would be generally popular with the under 60s... I'm sure they've been taken aback by the backlash..
  • DavidL said:

BBC News: "Sir Keir Starmer has said that the cut to winter fuel allowance was necessary to stabilise the economy"

Really?

Has he said this?

The saving of £1.5bn is less than 0.2% of government spending. I think giving bungs like that to well off pensioners is wrong but the justifications are bordering on the irrational.
    I think it is rightly totemic of being a serious government at what is a difficult time for the country, not to be giving out money unnecessarily. Some of these sums will be modest in themselves, but they add up.

What's irrational is that WFA survived Osborne's period of austerity.
    The survival of the WFA came almost entirely from the rocketing energy costs from the Ukrine war and even today those energy bills are extremely high especially for the elderly who stay at home and need heating in the winter to keep them well
  • Andy_JS said:

I trust everyone's watching the Last Night of the Proms. 😊

Yep. I try and watch and listen to all the Prom concerts though the summer and The Last Night for me marks the start of autumn and my Sacred Season.
    What's with the EU flags? During Elgar?

There have always been flags of many different nations there although the Union Flag was usually the most prominent. After the Referendum the Remainer clique tried to flood the Last Night with EU flags as a protest and I think hoping to provoke some outrage. The Daily Mail crowd were predictably outraged but everyone else just shrugged and got on with it.

Weirdly it has become a new tradition now and it would be strange to be offended by it - well except for the Daily Mail readers.

One thing I did notice once again was how many Ukraine flags were being waved
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,444
    Andy_JS said:

Nunu3 said:

National Polling Average Update- September 14th Kamala Harris leads by 3 points in the national polling average Only A/B rated pollsters are included

https://x.com/VoteHubUS/status/1835000791209230621

3 points isn't necessarily enough. Pennsylvania is still neck-and-neck.
    I noticed when Harris was having her surge that the polling in Pennsylvania wasn't moving even half as much. I think PA will be tight regardless of the result elsewhere, so it probably only ends up being the tipping point state if the election is tight overall.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Good for Starmer. Excellent and long overdue news :

Jack Surfleet
    @jacksurfleet
    ·
    1h
    The Mail on Sunday: Assisted dying bill set to be 'rushed into law'
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

https://x.com/jacksurfleet

I don't think pensioners dying from the cold counts as assisted dying...

DavidL said:

Really?

Has he said this?

The saving of £1.5bn is less than 0.2% of government spending. I think giving bungs like that to well off pensioners is wrong but the justifications are bordering on the irrational.
    I think it is rightly totemic of being a serious government at what is a difficult time for the country, not to be giving out money unnecessarily. Some of these sums will be modest in themselves, but they add up.

The survival of the WFA came almost entirely from the rocketing energy costs from the Ukrine war and even today those energy bills are extremely high especially for the elderly who stay at home and need heating in the winter to keep them well
    The 2022 invasion of Ukraine was nearly six years after Osborne ceased to be Chancellor. What has it got to do with Osborne preserving a pointless Brown-era bung to pensioners?
    GIN1138 said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

Remember in SKS/Reeves world everyone under 60 is still angry and bitter at the Boomers voting Brexit and being frequently Conservative voters...

So they thought giving the oldies a punishment beating by taking away their WFA would be generally popular with the under 60s... I'm sure they've been taken aback by the backlash..
    It’s fucking inept politics at a basic level is what it is

Starmer simultaneously looks like a fool AND like he is taking us for fools

Moreover, if anyone is going to spook the markets it is him and reeves looking like sadistic clowns with no clue and no plan, and dooming the economy with their gloom so taxpayers and investors flee

What a shower
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

It's to show that they are not scared of making tough decisions. And idiotic ones are ok too, apparently.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,743
    “Possibly a genius Trump move.”

Springfield, Ohio's Haitian community wakes up to smashed widows and acid thrown on their cars. MSNBC
    https://x.com/MichaelArt123/status/1835019351667114050
  • DavidL said:

Really?

Has he said this?

The 2022 invasion of Ukraine was nearly six years after Osborne ceased to be Chancellor. What has it got to do with Osborne preserving a pointless Brown-era bung to pensioners?
    It is precisely the point for why it has been continued and not even a hint by Labour it would be means tested

Anyway this is a very big issue now dominating the media and is not going away
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357

Jack Surfleet
    @jacksurfleet
    ·
    1h
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

I'm totally against assisted dying.
    Has the cluncking fist commented on the removal of his cunning bribe, the WFA?
  • Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

So BBC news starts with the alleged assault of a woman by a man who was released today and then goes into the WFA once again. Government is proving tougher than mocking an inept and dysfunctional administration before the election.

WFA was a total and utter unforced error by a rookie CoE.

The prisons fuck up is totally the responsibility of last administration.

What alternative did they have?
    Well, hang on, if they can suddenly find places in hotels for asylum seekers, by the same token they could have found places somewhere for prisoners, even if the prisons themselves were full.
    Asylum seekers are not generally considered yo be a flight risk. Most of them are happy to be somewhere safe and with a very decent chance of being granted asylum.

Sticking your local house burglar or mugger in a hotel is not likely to be a popular move with the public.
    Nigelb said:

“Possibly a genius Trump move.”

Springfield, Ohio's Haitian community wakes up to smashed widows and acid thrown on their cars. MSNBC
    https://x.com/MichaelArt123/status/1835019351667114050

Again, you are applying your tedious moral judgments to others who are making cold political assessment. Its intellectually mediocre and boring

@mercator is right
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,419
    Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

I work in banking (IT side). Everyone is waiting for the first budget. Until then, it's pretty much a holding pattern.

DavidL said:

Really?

Has he said this?

It is precisely the point for why it has been continued and not even a hint by Labour it would be means tested

It is dominating the media, but it's an example of how the media have completely lost their shit following Labour's huge landslide on a risible share of the vote. The polling suggests it's not particularly unpopular, certainly not to the extent to justify the attention it has received.

Given the harder choices that Labour will face in the future it is of vital importance that the government can withstand pressure form the media and stick to this one. Otherwise there's no chance of them doing anything useful.

There are no easy choices left.
  • Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

So BBC news starts with the alleged assault of a woman by a man who was released today and then goes into the WFA once again. Government is proving tougher than mocking an inept and dysfunctional administration before the election.

Well, hang on, if they can suddenly find places in hotels for asylum seekers, by the same token they could have found places somewhere for prisoners, even if the prisons themselves were full.
    Asylum seekers are not generally considered yo be a flight risk. Most of them are happy to be somewhere safe and with a very decent chance of being granted asylum.

Sticking your local house burglar or mugger in a hotel is not likely to be a popular move with the public.
    Estonia offered to take UK prisoners

https://news.sky.com/story/offenders-could-serve-sentence-in-estonian-prisons-to-ease-overcrowding-13210297
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,278
    Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

I think it's to remind people about Truss, and make political capital from that.
  • Leon said:

I WANT TO LIVE HERE

Our eldest does and in BC
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

It's to show that they are not scared of making tough decisions. And idiotic ones are ok too, apparently.
    Yes. I think they’ve combined the two here

They’ve made an idiotic decision. Cut WFA in a way that enrages lots of people and mystifies others. And now they are forced to stick to it so they look “tough”

But they don’t even look tough. They look stupid, silly and vindictive
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

I think it's to remind people about Truss, and make political capital from that.
    But it’s not working, is it?

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

https://news.sky.com/story/offenders-could-serve-sentence-in-estonian-prisons-to-ease-overcrowding-13210297
    Exporting our prisoners counts as an increase in imports (services) in the national accounts

• FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

carnforth said:

Who's having the shitter time? @Leon in North America, or @RochdalePioneers trying to convince himself the LD conference is fun?

Gotta be @Leon

He could be in Camden now, strolling down some canal side or other, several gins and red wines to the good, glorying in the multicultural triumph of 21st century London and enjoying bonhomie of the scant dressed young folk on a balmy early autumn eve.

Instead he is driving 200 miles across a desert no one knew existed to a Tim Horton.
    There are, by the way, about 80 Tim Hortons in the UK. None near here, but I went to the Gloucester one on the way to somewhere else. Cracking value breakfasts.
    I had no idea.

Seems my nearest might be Derby.

Edit: There's TWO in Leicester @Foxy
    Yes, I have been to the clock tower one. Not bad for an occasional breakfast.
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

They’ve made an idiotic decision. Cut WFA in a way that enrages lots of people and mystifies others. And now they are forced to stick to it so they look “tough”

They should just have frozen it. It would have ended up like the £10 pensioner Christmas Bonus which used to be something, but now is nothing.
  • DavidL said:

Really?

Has he said this?

It is dominating the media, but it's an example of how the media have completely lost their shit following Labour's huge landslide on a risible share of the vote. The polling suggests it's not particularly unpopular, certainly not to the extent to justify the attention it has received.

Given the harder choices that Labour will face in the future it is of vital importance that the government can withstand pressure form the media and stick to this one. Otherwise there's no chance of them doing anything useful.

There are no easy choices left.
    The media are only reporting the response from across politics and now Unite Union

They had choices and even a better way of doing it including in the Autumn Statement and with sensible mitigation

This was an avoidable decision

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

I heard a story that a fair chunk of the problem is the historic offences now being investigated and prosecuted - which lead to long sentences.

It would be interesting to see a breakdown of what people are in prison for, and for how long.

A dashboard of the data, perhaps. But then I remember the reaction to the COVID dashboard. A couple of people got praised - then the unit got shut down and dispersed. To make sure they didn't do it with other departments data.

Leon said:

I WANT TO LIVE HERE

Vancouver right?

I think I’d find it a bit boring and remote in the end. And too North American. I am European with a hankering for Indochina

But I can definitely see the appeal
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

Nope. Truss isn't Black Wednesday. But you can see why they might have thought it was.
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

Nope. Truss isn't Black Wednesday. But you can see why they might have thought it was.
    Government by analogy?
    geoffw said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

Exporting our prisoners counts as an increase in imports (services) in the national accounts

What if we sent to them to the Southern US to pick cotton? would that count as exports?
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,674
    edited September 14
    Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

According to Andy Haldane, the bleating on about Starmer and Reeve's gaping black hole is actually harming the economy.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4V8uZMCsrGw
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,462
    nico679 said:

The government should rule out any changes to the single persons council tax discount . Would they really go ahead with this after having just cut the WFA? And removing the discount would also effect single parents with children under 18 in the household . I personally think changing the discount would be immeasurably cruel and would cause huge anger.

Political suicide.

Widows tax.

Young person in first flat tax.

No idea why they have let this kite fly so high other than maybe they don't care how lurid the pre-budget speculation is about the tax hammer as long as everyone sighs in relief when it turns out not quite so bad.

• Leon said:

Leon said:

I WANT TO LIVE HERE

Vancouver right?

I think I’d find it a bit boring and remote in the end. And too North American. I am European with a hankering for Indochina

But I can definitely see the appeal
    North Vancouver by Grouse Mountain which is appropriate as our son was a professional snowboarder in his younger days
    carnforth said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

They should just have frozen it. It would have ended up like the £10 pensioner Christmas Bonus which used to be something, but now is nothing.
    It was in the Conservative manifesto of 2017 to get rid of it and phase out the triple lock too.

Bad politics from Starmer and Reeves. There's a difference between tough decisions and performative political cruelty.

Starmer backs away from ending the sale of petrol and diesel cars by 2030 allowing hybrid sales until 2035

Inevitable and another broken promise

Hybrid sales were never part of the intention to stop petrol and diesel sales by 2030. It was always about non-hybrids, with a later cut-off date for hybrids.
    The reality of this is always going to be that is a tango between the car industry and the law makers as to what might actually be deliverable.

Lot of back and forth.

And it is a world market.
    Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

It was in the Conservative manifesto of 2017 to get rid of it and phase out the triple lock too.

Bad politics from Starmer and Reeves. There's a difference between tough decisions and performative political cruelty.
    True, but that manifesto was famously bad.
  • Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

I expect you will see the results of it this winter
    Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

Yes, but remember, the 2017 general election saw glumbuckets May blow a 25% lead in the three weeks from which she unveiled her manifesto.

Glumbuckets Starmer is blowing his 170 seat majority within three months of taking office...

#TheGlums #SwingsAndRoundabouts

geoffw said:

Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

What if we sent to them to the Southern US to pick cotton? would that count as exports?
    I guess it would if they repatriated their cotton-pickin' earnings

• nico679nico679 Posts: 5,905
    The removal of the single occupancy discount would be WFA furore on steroids . Not just those currently living alone , older couples will think if one of us goes then the other with just one pension will have to meet that extra cost. It hammers single parents and others who live alone .

Starmer and Reeves made a big deal of the pension rise covering the loss of the WFA so what will be their defence here ?

The logical side suggests this is a case of giving the worst case scenario so that when it doesn’t happen there’s a big relief for those that might be effected .

Alternatively Reeves and Starmer are insane and want the polling to have them in single digits and want their councilors to be totally wiped out next year.
    Perhaps part of it is that no-one remembered it was a Gordon Brown (and hence Labour) policy in the first place. If the public knew that, Starmer would have claimed and protected it. Perhaps we have erased Brown from our collective memory. Blair then Cameron.
  • Leon said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

It is the omnishambles budget redux. That is, it is the economically and politically naive acceptance of Treasury suggestions.
    Andy_JS said:

DavidL said:

"Ok. listen up Fletch and Godber. You will still be in prison. Definitely. It's just it will be a premier inn at the end of its life and due refurb next year out on the ring road."

edited September 14
    nico679 said:

The removal of the single occupancy discount would be WFA furore on steroids . Not just those currently living alone , older couples will think if one of us goes then the other with just one pension will have to meet that extra cost. It hammers single parents and others who live alone .

Starmer and Reeves made a big deal of the pension rise covering the loss of the WFA so what will be their defence here ?

The logical side suggests this is a case of giving the worst case scenario so that when it doesn’t happen there’s a big relief for those that might be effected .

Alternatively Reeves and Starmer are insane and want the polling to have them in single digits and want their councilors to be totally wiped out next year.

Starmer is already enduring near-unprecedented drops in popularity

A bit like Truss, piquantly
    Leon said:

I WANT TO LIVE HERE

Ok. Bit of a change in attitude there. :lol:

New title for knapper article: "Canada. The most boring country on earth. And yet suddenly I found I wanted to live here."

edited September 14
    nico679 said:

Basically, WFA might, *might* be politically survivable if we have a mild winter and there's a fair wind over the next four years.

Removal of the single persons discount is tuition fees and the poll tax rolled into one... Labour will be done if they axe that, IMO.

So we'll see...
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Do you think he'll last the full 5 years in office?
  • Chris Grayling is a bin fire of a politician, so of course Rishi Sunak put him in the House of Lords

There's no better representation of the decline of the political class than Chris Grayling.

Probably there are stupider people. Mark Francois has a lower capacity to handle a moderate cognitive load, as does Lee Anderson. There might even be more cynical people. Robert Jenrick is currently exploring the furthest reaches of his own venality. Nigel Farage is about as reprehensible as it is possible to endure. But there is a crucial distinction. Grayling had power - serious power - for a sustained period and secured constant promotion.

He was given a procession of ministerial posts - employment minister, justice secretary, leader of the House, transport secretary. He failed in every one of them

https://iandunt.substack.com/p/chris-grayling-is-a-bin-fire-of-a

Ian Dunt wins substack but faces expulsion from the Chris Grayling fan club! Dunt explores in particular Grayling's part in wrecking the probation system.
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

The Labour party finds it hard to get rid of leaders.
  • nico679 said:

Has this been seriously proposed or is it just one of a number of pre-budget scare stories put out by the Conservatives?
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Don’t blame me I voted Lib Dem ! Although ordinarily I am or say was a Labour voter . They’ve totally pissed me off with their snubbing of the youth mobility scheme offered by the EU. They keep saying they want a re-set and keep acting like the Brexit Party !
    GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

Yes, but remember, the 2017 general election saw glumbuckets May blow a 25% lead in the three weeks from which she unveiled her manifesto.

Glumbuckets Starmer is blowing his 170 seat majority within three months of taking office...

Nah, he has 5 years. We are going to have to put up with a lot more of this.

But the objection is coming from those wanting more tax and spend, not less, so not likely to benefit the Tories.
    GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

Basically, WFA might, *might* be politically survivable if we have a mild winter and there's a fair wind over the next four years.

Removal of the single persons discount is tuition fees and the poll tax rolled into one... Labour will be done if they axe that, IMO.

So we'll see...
    There is no way this is happening.

They may as well shoot themselves in the head.

nico679 said:

Has this been seriously proposed or is it just one of a number of pre-budget scare stories put out by the Conservatives?
    The Treasury refuse to rule it out . My brain is trying to compute how Reeves and Starmer could be so detached from reality that they think this could even fly . It might be a case of terrify people then say it’s not going to happen after all .
  • nico679 said:

The problem is it has been put to Starmer who refused to rule it out thereby the idea was pounced on by the media and is in the political narrative

It should be remembered it is the media who are the ones looking for 'gotchas' and they have not changed even though the government has
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,901
    edited September 14
    GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

So we'll see...
    WFA is not a concatenated benefit. It doesn't have to spent on heating.

What would be interesting is to find how many pensioners are on the sort of variable payment plan for heating that means that additional energy use during the winter will mean the removal of WFA causes issues.

Roughly 15%* of pensioners are eligible anyway, so we are talking about a subset of the 85% above that threshold.

*UC is typically used as piggy back eligibility for other benefits, and accounts for roughly 30% of working households (once fully rolled out). If pensioners received UC instead of the state pension (lol), I would guess Labour would've used that instead.
  • Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

My guess is that Starmer intends to step down during his second term, although as Blair discovered, along with perhaps most long-serving prime ministers, there is always a reason to stay just a bit longer, one more crisis, one more summit needing an experienced hand. But Starmer is not young, and his family is. Starmer is already 62 years old and has not been a dedicated politician from his youth; politics is his second career.

But while I expect Starmer to go voluntarily, there is no obvious mechanism to force a leader's removal as there is in the Conservative Party.
  • Eabhal said:

GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

So we'll see...

What would be interesting is to find how many pensioners are on the sort of variable payment plan for heating that means that additional energy use during the winter will mean the removal of WFA causes issues.

Roughly 15% of pensioners are eligible anyway, so we are talking about a subset of the 85% above that threshold.
    I expect it will have a real problem in Scotland with its colder winters

I know members of my Scottish family are very angry, as is their social media and what's app groups
    Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

But the objection is coming from those wanting more tax and spend, not less, so not likely to benefit the Tories.
    One of the problems of the WFA cut is that is just looks like an announcement out of the blue in a panic with no wider context and frankly doesn't look like anyone has given it more than a moments tactical thought.

By all means come after the boomers.

But lets hit the well off boomers with, dare I say it, 'broad shoulders', and not pensioners just above the pension credit line who are struggling after years of inflation.

The jokes about WFA tell us where to hit. Those who spend their £200 on champagne for Xmas or a weekend break every November when the cheque lands.

Eabhal said:

GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

So we'll see...

Roughly 15% of pensioners are eligible anyway, so we are talking about a subset of the 85% above that threshold.

I know members of my Scottish family are very angry, as is their social media and what's app groups
    Surprised it's not a devolved issue.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,082
    edited September 14
    nico679 said:

nico679 said:

The Treasury refuse to rule it out . My brain is trying to compute how Reeves and Starmer could be so detached from reality that they think this could even fly . It might be a case of terrify people then say it’s not going to happen after all .
    Yes but this is standard pre-budget politics turned up to 11. The government cannot rule everything out, and as the budget gets closer, cannot rule anything out. As well as the council tax discount, there is similar noisy speculation from the blue team on ISA allowances and limits, and on pension tax relief and limits. and CGT and income tax and everything bar return of the windows tax.

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

My guess is that Starmer intends to step down during his second term, although as Blair discovered, along with perhaps most long-serving prime ministers, there is always a reason to stay just a bit longer, one more crisis, one more summit needing an experienced hand. But Starmer is not young, and his family is. Starmer is already 62 years old and has not been a dedicated politician from his youth; politics is his second career.

But while I expect Starmer to go voluntarily, there is no obvious mechanism to force a leader's removal as there is in the Conservative Party.
    Given the volatility of modern voting there is no way Labour and Starmer should assume they are not out of office in five years.

Do the stuff now that you want to do.

Eabhal said:

GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

So we'll see...

This link with the temperature is a red herring, I suspect. How many pensioners use prepayment meters, and aren't on a direct debit that adjusts the price through the year to ensure a consistent charge throughout the year?

In some respects, it will be less of a problem in Scotland because a higher proportion of households are eligible for PC due to less savings and lower incomes than in warmer parts of the UK.
    carnforth said:

Eabhal said:

GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

So we'll see...

It nearly is. The change has been neatly delayed until next year following the decision of UKGov.
    edited September 14

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Given the volatility of modern voting there is no way Labour and Starmer should assume they are not out of office in five years.

Do the stuff now that you want to do.
    *THEORY*

There are going to be some pretty significant changes to the fiscal rules (only Brown was able to sustain them for more than a couple of years) that will all be about "investing in growth".

The Treasury is very nervous about this (Truss), and so several pounds of flesh have been demanded in order to signal fiscal sobriety. WFA is just one of them.
  • Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762

I CANNOT BELIEVE I MISSED THE CASH THREAD YESTERDAY

Working too hard. But yes @TheScreamingEagles is right - cash is absolutely pointless. The arguments of the very few PBers who contested his view were incredibly weak.

No you just dont accept that there are poor people who dont have bank accounts or it helps them budget...but as a proper left winger fuck them it inconveniences you when they take longer to pay.
    Eabhal said:

carnforth said:

Eabhal said:

GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

So we'll see...

It nearly is. The change has been neatly delayed until next year following the decision of UKGov.
    The change comes with money, or they're just dumping the problem on the devolved nations?
    Leon said:

I WANT TO LIVE HERE

We won't object if you do
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,568
    Leon said:

Ok this place is schizophrenic. Suddenly the sun has come out and I’ve done loads of work and I’ve realised my hotel has a bar by the lake and it feels like I’m sitting with a cold one by Lake Como in July, but everyone speaks English and there’s no mad traffic or mafia

Anyway. Canada rocks. I love the fact you can drive everywhere without hassle. Such a good system

There are no mafia in Como. How can you travel so much, and be so ignorant?
    IanB2 said:

Meanwhile, for those who think that Kansas is boring and flat (which, mostly, it is):

Your dog has the look of wheres the trees....I need a tree I need to pee
    edited September 14
    carnforth said:

Eabhal said:

carnforth said:

Eabhal said:

GIN1138 said:

nico679 said:

So we'll see...

The change comes with money, or they're just dumping the problem on the devolved nations?
    The change will filter through via a change to the Block Grant Adjustment*, so the latter.

*Only three people have ever really understood the Barnett Formula - the Duke of Edinburgh, who is dead - a professor at UHI, who has gone mad - and I, who have forgotten all about it.
    IanB2 said:

Meanwhile, for those who think that Kansas is boring and flat (which, mostly, it is):

Lovely! Having not used my photo quota today, here's some Utah:

IanB2 said:

Leon said:

There are no mafia in Como. How can you travel so much, and be so ignorant?
    Ah @IanB2, never change. Always be the flailing pompous twat that we love

https://comocompanion.com/2021/01/14/shadow-of-the-mafia-over-como/

SHADOW OF THE MAFIA OVER COMO

IanB2 said:

Towering prehistoric sandstone monument for scale.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,604
    Musk is sharing data which apparently shows that the distribution of irregular migrants is highly disproportionate between red and blue states.

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1835041918990078068
  • Leon said:

Have we established where @Theuniondivvie is sporting his excellent shoes?

Is it really Trump Tower?

I’m surprised no one got my clue, must have been too subtly TSE-ish.

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/celebrity/michael-jackson-explains-baby-out-balcony-window-643218-20240913

Afaicr the Adlon pops up in I Am A Camera so it’s on the Weimarophile route map. Miraculously it largely survived Allied bombing but after victory in 1945 the Red Army occupied it, got in to the wine cellar and burnt it down. Very plush but lacking a bit of soul in its reincarnation.

• IanB2 said:

Toto, we are in fact in Kansas so stfu.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,546

Musk is sharing data which apparently shows that the distribution of irregular migrants is highly disproportionate between red and blue states.

https://x.com/elonmusk/status/1835041918990078068

Are you telling me immigrants from Haiti are showing up in Florida because if true that would be a revelation.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,546

Foxy said:

GIN1138 said:

Foxy said:

carnforth said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

One of the problems of the WFA cut is that is just looks like an announcement out of the blue in a panic with no wider context and frankly doesn't look like anyone has given it more than a moments tactical thought.

By all means come after the boomers.

But lets hit the well off boomers with, dare I say it, 'broad shoulders', and not pensioners just above the pension credit line who are struggling after years of inflation.

The jokes about WFA tell us where to hit. Those who spend their £200 on champagne for Xmas or a weekend break every November when the cheque lands.

They're five years from an election, this is the time for strategy not tactics.

Specifically they need to run the country better and that means fixing bad policy.
    edited September 15

Leon said:

Have we established where @Theuniondivvie is sporting his excellent shoes?

Is it really Trump Tower?

I’m surprised no one got my clue, must have been too subtly TSE-ish.

https://www.ladbible.com/entertainment/celebrity/michael-jackson-explains-baby-out-balcony-window-643218-20240913

Afaicr the Adlon pops up in I Am A Camera so it’s on the Weimarophile route map. Miraculously it largely survived Allied bombing but after victory in 1945 the Red Army occupied it, got in to the wine cellar and burnt it down. Very plush but lacking a bit of soul in its reincarnation.

An excellent hotel. I’ve had a beer there, looking out at the gate thingy

A friend of mine once encountered Peter Ustinov there

I hope they were impressed by the shoes
  • StillWatersStillWaters Posts: 7,848

Jack Surfleet
    @jacksurfleet
    ·
    1h
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

Why the need to rush?

It’s a highly complex issues with deeply held moral beliefs on all sides. Better to get the law right surely?
    Andy_JS said:

No comments on the report that Labour were 24 hours from telling the police not to arrest anyone?

I have a rule of thumb that any newspaper article saying we are 24 hours from the collapse of the NHS, irreversible climate change, world war 3 or anything else is typically complete BS
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

geoffw said:

Interesting to see the number of EU flags at the last night of the proms. They possibly outnumber the union jacks.

That's not interesting. It's been going on for years now.

They set up a Remoaner stall outside the Albert Hall every time now and hand them out for free to "celebrate our European musicians".

They find a willing audience because most who go are well-off, internationalist, liberal urbanites, and many aren't even British at all.
    I'm a brexiteer but I'd wave an EU flag if handed one. What the hell, we've left

I wouldn't. I love continental Europe dearly but the Last Night of the Proms is the one time when you're allowed unashamedly to celebrate being British (or you were). I'd ask for 20 for friends and family then put them in a nearby bin.
    That's exactly why they target it.

The venue should draw a line and ban EU flags. Yes, there would be a furore but tough- it's been part of an orchestrated political campaign on national TV for years now.

It's like a silent Steve Bray jamboree.
    Leon said:

Really?

Has he said this?

He doesn't know what he's doing and lacks confidence.

The man dines off copying, imitating or following others, and relying on dissemblement for the rest.
    Andy_JS said:

Really?

Has he said this?

Isn't plugging the £22 billion hole in the national finances important to the bond markets? I thought that was the sort of thing that sunk Truss's government.
    The markets don’t believe that claim

Andy_JS said:

I trust everyone's watching the Last Night of the Proms. 😊

Yep. I try and watch and listen to all the Prom concerts though the summer and The Last Night for me marks the start of autumn and my Sacred Season.
    What's with the EU flags? During Elgar?

There have always been flags of many different nations there although the Union Flag was usually the most prominent. After the Referendum the Remainer clique tried to flood the Last Night with EU flags as a protest and I think hoping to provoke some outrage. The Daily Mail crowd were predictably outraged but everyone else just shrugged and got on with it.

Weirdly it has become a new tradition now and it would be strange to be offended by it - well except for the Daily Mail readers.

One thing I did notice once again was how many Ukraine flags were being waved
    Nah, that's a bit of an inspid establishment view. It's not a "bring your own flag" competition and to say that robs of its meaning, and why people started going in the first place.

I'm with @Luckyguy1983 on this - it was a musical carnival, an unabashed, celebration of being British - all glorious and bombastic - and to enjoy it amongst everyone else doing it. The fewer doing it the less of a collective and special communal experience it is.

You get "unofficial" battleproms/last nights around the country now that have sprung up where ordinary people can enjoy themselves as it should be. Either the Albert Hall event needs resetting or it should be relocated or debroadcast now.

It has been totally sullied and spoiled.

Leon said:

I WANT TO LIVE HERE

Really? You've never mentioned that before.
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

He wanted his entire government to be elected and judged on a "growth" platform.

Unfortunately, money, capital and labour is starting to flee the country as no-one trusts him and he's decided to tax the rest to death.

His answer to concerns about that?

To say things will get worse.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,461
    The excellent Ryan McBeth on Haitians eating cats:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0dPRxxqs-c
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,461
    "Starmer may have broken rules over donor's gifts to wife"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c8djply3z18o

Ooops. The donor is, naturally enough, the guy who got given a Downing Street pass. Clothes for access? ;)

I'd expect a top lawyer to be able to follow a few simple rules. It seems when declaring donations, he's an utter numpty.

(Remember also https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61781601 )
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Driver, I can confirm I have never compared the glory of morris dancing with the liberation of Iraqis.

F1: quite a grid and race we have in store. Perusing the markets shall commence imminently.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,604

Jack Surfleet
    @jacksurfleet
    ·
    1h
    #TomorrowsPapersToday

Why the need to rush?

It’s a highly complex issues with deeply held moral beliefs on all sides. Better to get the law right surely?
    Apparently approved by a so-called Citizens Assembly no less.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Betting Post

F1: if you backed my Leclerc each way tip at 6.5 and hedged at just over evens, I'd advocate sitting on that. But if you want the tired gut feeling nonsense I posted on the blog, here it is: https://enormo-haddock.blogspot.com/2024/09/azerbaijan-pre-race-2024.html
  • Good morning

Starmers downbeat gloom and doom affecting investment according to the Guardian

Absolutely no surprise there

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2024/sep/15/financial-leaders-and-party-insiders-warn-starmer-we-need-less-gloom-more-optimism?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,003
    Scott_xP said:

For a decade now, independence has been the hammer to make every difficulty, every choice, every prescription a nail. At least twice a year, Sturgeon would announce a fresh constitutional initiative, rallying her clans for the final push towards national emancipation. And at least twice a year, that drive would lead precisely nowhere. The people, whatever their merits, were unmoved; the people let their government down.

All governments eventually suffer from a kind of mental fatigue, and Sturgeon’s was no exception. The SNP has been Scotland’s dominant election-winning force since 2007. At the next Holyrood election, it will be asking for a third decade in office. Though the Scottish people are as divided on their constitutional future as ever — this is now an assumed normal in Scottish affairs — there are signs that they are tiring of the Nationalists.

https://www.thetimes.com/article/7b2b4022-6e4d-40b0-8a99-49fd5bd1b5e7

Ha Ha Ha , the London Times, what a dipstick