Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

A harbinger or an outlier? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 9,762

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

So what would we like to see ditched from the Olympics. In no particular order:

Football
    Rugby
    Tennis
    Golf
    Basketball

Sport?
    Closing ceremonies?
    Strangely while sometimes I can be a little flippant, sarcastic even or attempt humour this was actually a serious point in someways I obviously don't want to ban sport as its generally a good thing for general health. What I would like to see however is the fucking nationalism dropped....Person x wins the 100 metres....yeah its not a win for their county its a win for them and good on them.....just because you come from the same country does not make you a winner
    Humans have an instinct for tribal behaviour. It might be small (Warminster vs Frome round my way, always hotly contested), or your football team, or eventually up to Nations. If we ever do meet alien races you can imagine it’ll keep going - Earthicans vs those damned Alpha Centaurans…
    Yes but most here decry nationalist behaviour but its suddenly ok because its sport.....no its either right or wrong
    I did flippantly suggest the other day that we could do it by star sign.
    Why cant we just respect sporting achievement on a personal level?
    For a start say take the 100 metres.....we want the 10 best in the world competing surely, not the best for gb, russia, us etc.

If the 10 best for example all happen to be kenyan would that not be a better race?
    Wrong race, but yes there is a point to what you suggest. It’s just that most everybody else doesn’t want it that way.
    I pulled countries out of a brain dump rather than trying to pick countries which may be better at it. It just shows other people are stupid therefore
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,310
    edited August 11
    Nationalism is perfectly fine when its driven by a love of your respective country, it only becomes an issue when its driven more by a dislike of someone elses country.

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

So it turns out it is flea-treatments for dogs and cats that are also killing our rivers. Springwatch

FFS get rid of your pets. You don't need animal slaves. They are killing Britain

So if we ban cats, dogs and Glasto we should be better off for mayflies, tadpoles and so on.
    YES. People that insist on owning cats and dogs are pathetic social losers. There is no reason for it, it is pure selfishness, with every day that passes this becomes more apparent. You do not need a dog slave, shitting the fuck out of the world, you do not need a cat slave, killing all the songbirds in the nation. Essentially, they should be forbidden, until that moment, they should be very very heavily taxed
    You are JD Vance and I claim my £5.
    Hey I have to keep a cat to keep the birds away!!
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,226

Yet another take on the medals table. A measure of efficiency, with countries ranked by the fraction of their medals which are gold. Again, Britain is just behind France.

1 Uzbekistan 8 golds, 13 medals in total
    2 New Zealand 10 20
    3 Japan 20 45
    4 Netherlands 15 34
    5 China 40 91

6 South Korea 13 32
    7 Sweden 4 11
    8 Kenya 4 11
    9 Germany 12 33
    10 Australia 18 53

11 Canada 9 27
    12 United States 40 126
    13 Hungary 6 19
    14 Italy 12 40
    15 Spain 5 18

16 Ukraine 3 12
    17 Iran 3 12
    18 France 16 64
    19 Great Britain 14 65
    20 Brazil 3 20
    I wonder if its relatively easy to get bronzes and perhaps silvers by spending big money.

But golds are more dependent upon how many 'great' sportspeople you have available.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

Cookie said:

Pagan2 said:

Football
    Rugby
    Tennis
    Golf
    Basketball

Sport?
    Why are we ditching rugby? Olympic rugby 7s is surely the pinnacle of the sport? Also my favourite event.
    Football should take a leaf and Olympic football should be a five-a-side tournament.
    We've got Flag Football (wtf?) next time.
    A safer version of American Football - I suspect it will be the LA equivalent of Break (dancing).
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,272
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

So it turns out it is flea-treatments for dogs and cats that are also killing our rivers. Springwatch

FFS get rid of your pets. You don't need animal slaves. They are killing Britain

So if we ban cats, dogs and Glasto we should be better off for mayflies, tadpoles and so on.
    YES. People that insist on owning cats and dogs are pathetic social losers. There is no reason for it, it is pure selfishness, with every day that passes this becomes more apparent. You do not need a dog slave, shitting the fuck out of the world, you do not need a cat slave, killing all the songbirds in the nation. Essentially, they should be forbidden, until that moment, they should be very very heavily taxed
    Anyone who says cat slave has never been owned by a cat.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Yep, you and Donald Trump don't like pets. Figures.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    Cookie said:

FF43 said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Having been mean about Britain for weeks, gotta say Richmond riverside looks pretty good this evening

Somehow we need to make all the left behind towns have a hint of Richmond upon Thames. It’s not going to be easy - but we really really really need to try

Cleaning out town centres, getting rid of litter, erasing graffiti, giving little towns a reason to be proud. That’s the way. The French do it. We can, too

I sketched out an idea for a thread header about this a while back. Possibly a new raison d'etre for the Tories: making Britain beautiful. Somewhere we can be proud to leave to our grandchildren.
    Tories should embrace the National Trust.
    Once upon a time, they did - nowadays NT seem to be mainly focused on making people ashamed to be British.
    If the Tories can't even win the National Trust contingent they won't have an etre let alone a raison.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

You are JD Vance and I claim my £5.
    Just be an upstanding citizen, take some responsibility for the ecology of the UK, and admit you don't actually NEED some animal slave, given the toll they take on the environment. Get rid of your pets, you inadequates
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003

Red Hot Chillies play Venice beach and there's only about a hundred people watching.

Surely shome mishtake?

Presumably controlled access? Close off the beach and only allow in a small set with tickets...?
    There were some people watching in the distance from the side but the main set had been closed off
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Walking a dog keeps the late middle aged and elderly fit, having a cat stops elderly spinsters getting lonely
    Not quite sure what Frank Sinatra would make of this version of My Way

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Football
    Rugby
    Tennis
    Golf
    Basketball

Sport?
    Closing ceremonies?
    Strangely while sometimes I can be a little flippant, sarcastic even or attempt humour this was actually a serious point in someways I obviously don't want to ban sport as its generally a good thing for general health. What I would like to see however is the fucking nationalism dropped....Person x wins the 100 metres....yeah its not a win for their county its a win for them and good on them.....just because you come from the same country does not make you a winner
    Humans have an instinct for tribal behaviour. It might be small (Warminster vs Frome round my way, always hotly contested), or your football team, or eventually up to Nations. If we ever do meet alien races you can imagine it’ll keep going - Earthicans vs those damned Alpha Centaurans…
    Yes but most here decry nationalist behaviour but its suddenly ok because its sport.....no its either right or wrong
    I think the idea is that it is nationalism re-directed. Instead of fighting wars, we compete in sport. You can't avoid nationalism, the argument goes, but better to be cheering different 100m runners than killing.
    TBF.
    It gives St. Lucia a chance to win as well. And Dominica. Not sure they'd win a war. Except with each other.
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Walking a dog keeps the late middle aged and elderly fit, having a cat stops elderly spinsters getting lonely
    Buy a frigging robot
    kle4 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Football
    Rugby
    Tennis
    Golf
    Basketball

Sport?
    Closing ceremonies?
    For a start say take the 100 metres.....we want the 10 best in the world competing surely, not the best for gb, russia, us etc.

If the 10 best for example all happen to be kenyan would that not be a better race?
    It would be a better race, but it would not be as interesting an entertainment spectacle, because it would like the layer of investment people put on people in their tribe.

I don't know what is baffling about all this, sports has never been purely about the physical accomplishment, it's about entertainment as well, and entertainment benefits from dramatic narratives and emotion. We want it to be real too, the best up against the best, if we just want physicality and entertainment we'll go to the circus or watch WWE, but the little stories that come simply from nations competing elevates it.
    Anyone who watches WWE makes people who enjoy jeremy kyle seem like closet intellectuals. I am sorry maybe I just don;t get this entertainment benefit I cannot imagine getting excited because someone from my country got a gold in duck putting or something
    Andy_JS said:

Did anyone expect Tom Cruise to show up?

Not too far for him to go as he lives in London and Hertfordshire most of the time now so he could be the token LA star to take the flag
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

That Leon doesn't get pets indicates a deep flaw in his psyche.

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

You are an absolute hypocrite, and you have a pet dog or cat, I am guessing? Figures

No one can own a pet dog or cat and pretend to care about the environment
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    HYUFD said:

Or what the French think of "Comme d'habitude"

HYUFD said:

Surely My Way is one song that it's ok to do your own way?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Hitler was fond of dogs.
    edited August 11
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

You are an absolute hypocrite, and you have a pet dog or cat, I am guessing? Figures

Says the man with a carbon footprint greater than some third world countries with his constant jetting around for the knappers gazette
    edited August 11
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Having been mean about Britain for weeks, gotta say Richmond riverside looks pretty good this evening

Somehow we need to make all the left behind towns have a hint of Richmond upon Thames. It’s not going to be easy - but we really really really need to try

Cleaning out town centres, getting rid of litter, erasing graffiti, giving little towns a reason to be proud. That’s the way. The French do it. We can, too

Yes, though I imagine the £1,048,250 average house price, 75% of residents with a good education and 82% of residents middle class ABC1 with an average local household income of £68,950 probably helps Richmond upon Thames stay clean and presentable too
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Richmond Park
    In the fag packet Google sheets analysis I did recently, it's one of the worst councils in the country for building new homes too.
    Well they don't want cheaper homes spoling their view of the river and oiks who like Farage living in Richmond on Thames do they?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196
    Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Football
    Rugby
    Tennis
    Golf
    Basketball

Sport?
    Closing ceremonies?

Well, 102 men participated in the Olympics 100m. There's a lot of heats. But the final only holds 8. No country (technically, no NOC) was allowed to submit more than 3, so, indeed, if the best 8 in the world all came from one country, they wouldn't all get to the Olympics. For example, Christian Coleman came 4th in the US trials and didn't get to run the 100m at the Olympics, but was better than the majority of the 102 who did take part.
    Pro wrestling is working class ballet/opera.
    Hugely athletic, highly skilled, scripted and choreographed. Back story going back decades. It's a physical soap opera. New characters emerge from nowhere. Redemption. Loss. Breakups. Reunion. Revenge. Chance of career ending injury every night.
    Live. With six pints it's unbeatable entertainment.

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I have evolved beyond the need to keep a special animal slave to make up for my social inadequacies, yes. Also, I can see the enormous toll these enslaved creatures exact on the environment, from evil hormones in the rivers to millions of dead songbirds. You clearly don't give a fuck about any of this, so well done
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Yes, though I imagine the £1,048,250 average house price, 75% of residents with a good education and 82% of residents middle class ABC1 with an average local household income of £68,950 probably helps Richmond upon Thames stay clean and presentable too
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/seatdetails.py?seat=Richmond Park
    And yet, the French manage to make even their poor towns look almost as good, at least in the centre, as the very richest parts of Britain

Something has gone badly wrong with our civic realm, and we CAN fix it. Enough of this pathetic defeatism

Start with shop fronts and signage. Abolish the hideous KEBAB SHOP and CHICKEN SHACK neon and plastic

If you make a town centre pretty and safe, then people will come back, and do more shopping, and dining, and drinking, and that means new places will open, creating a virtuous cycle. We do the opposite. We let our town centres get uglier and scruffier then we wonder why our high streets are deserted
    Some of them, go to a few of the ex industrial towns that voted for Le Pen or Melenchon or the Paris suburbs and you will find it rather less pretty.

Though I agree we need to support our high streets and shops with tax breaks and shopping and free parking and ensure they aren't mainly takeaways, nail bars, estate agents and hairdressers and coffee shops.

The French in their small towns and provincial cities also still prefer to shop in person for clothes, browse at bookstops and shop for food at butchers, fish and vegetable markets and delicatessens rather than order most of it on Amazon and Ocado and Asda online which helps their high streets stay alive
    But even their left behind towns are enviable

I've just been to a French town that voted first for Le Pen, and then, second Zemmour and the extreme right! Macron was nowhere

It was Beziers, and the centre is, yes, beautiful, with nice street furniture and lovely cobbled squares. In Britain it would be one of our loveliest towns

https://www.francebleu.fr/occitanie/herault-34/beziers-34032/elections
    Being by the Mediterrenean likely helps Beziers, lots of tourism income

Yet another take on the medals table. A measure of efficiency, with countries ranked by the fraction of their medals which are gold. Again, Britain is just behind France.

2 New Zealand 10 20
    3 Japan 20 45
    4 Netherlands 15 34
    5 China 40 91

6 South Korea 13 32
    7 Sweden 4 11
    8 Kenya 4 11
    9 Germany 12 33
    10 Australia 18 53

11 Canada 9 27
    12 United States 40 126
    13 Hungary 6 19
    14 Italy 12 40
    15 Spain 5 18

16 Ukraine 3 12
    17 Iran 3 12
    18 France 16 64
    19 Great Britain 14 65
    20 Brazil 3 20
    I wonder if its relatively easy to get bronzes and perhaps silvers by spending big money.

But golds are more dependent upon how many 'great' sportspeople you have available.
    Boxing gives out 2 bronzes, so develop boxers.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470

Brian Klaas
    @brianklaas
    ·
    5h
    If North Carolina is tied, Trump is in serious trouble.

https://x.com/brianklaas/status/1822676891398025287

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Hitler was fond of dogs.
    Mussolini, too. and Stalin. Figures
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,705

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Football
    Rugby
    Tennis
    Golf
    Basketball

Sport?
    Closing ceremonies?
    This was interesting given recent discussions on PB: Cricket will be in the 2028 Olympics for first time since 1900.

'T20 format and 20 overs.' Team GB gotta be in the running for a medal in men's and women?

Still no darts or snooker...
    Cricket would be good, as long as the scots and Welsh don't turn bolshie about a combined team like in football.

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Football
    Rugby
    Tennis
    Golf
    Basketball

Sport?
    Closing ceremonies?

Well, 102 men participated in the Olympics 100m. There's a lot of heats. But the final only holds 8. No country (technically, no NOC) was allowed to submit more than 3, so, indeed, if the best 8 in the world all came from one country, they wouldn't all get to the Olympics. For example, Christian Coleman came 4th in the US trials and didn't get to run the 100m at the Olympics, but was better than the majority of the 102 who did take part.
    My point exactly, if I was inclined to bother watching which I am not admittedly I would want to see the best 8 in the world in that final
    Pro wrestling is w

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Hitler was fond of dogs.
    Mr Livingstone I presume?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

You are being rather Leon about yet another topic. It’s possible to do both, of course it is. Life is about choices. You choose to travel all over the planet using fossil fuels. Don’t lecture others on their lifestyle choices.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    Thank you Paris .

A fantastic games draws to a close . Full stadia , an incredible atmosphere and some of the most beautiful settings for events. A games to remember .

You couldn’t ask for more .

• Yet another take on the medals table. A measure of efficiency, with countries ranked by the fraction of their medals which are gold. Again, Britain is just behind France.

2 New Zealand 10 20
    3 Japan 20 45
    4 Netherlands 15 34
    5 China 40 91

6 South Korea 13 32
    7 Sweden 4 11
    8 Kenya 4 11
    9 Germany 12 33
    10 Australia 18 53

11 Canada 9 27
    12 United States 40 126
    13 Hungary 6 19
    14 Italy 12 40
    15 Spain 5 18

16 Ukraine 3 12
    17 Iran 3 12
    18 France 16 64
    19 Great Britain 14 65
    20 Brazil 3 20

There is an argument for saying that Britain did very well at the Games but got unlucky / was unduly impacted in several ways:

1. We had at least 6 events which could have been Gold but where we missed out by a sliver and / or very bad luck and which became lower medals - 2 in rowing, 2 in swimming, the mixed triathlon and the women’s shooting event (can’t remember which one).

2. We seem to have been unduly impacted by injuries and / or health issues before and during the Games which also hit the medals - Katie French in the Pentathlon, Peaty with Covid in the swimming, Kate Archibald in the cycling etc

3. Some mad / weird decisions in sports where we have particularly been strong in previous Olympics - Boxing or the sailing (another traditionally strong speciality).

Yes, you could say don’t other nations also get impacted but, as I say, I get the impressions we had more issues than most. Add to that, a few high profile ‘failures’ and it seemed like we didn’t do so well.

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Hitler was fond of dogs.
    And famously a vegetarian. He also liked Wagner and eating cake.

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Hitler was fond of dogs.
    well cake eating marks him down
    nico679 said:

Thank you Paris .

A fantastic games draws to a close . Full stadia , an incredible atmosphere and some of the most beautiful settings for events. A games to remember .

You do wonder if this was the moment for Macron to call a snap election?
    edited August 11

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

You are being rather Leon about yet another topic. It’s possible to do both, of course it is. Life is about choices. You choose to travel all over the planet using fossil fuels. Don’t lecture others on their lifestyle choices.
    I am not a hypocrite, I accept my lifestyle imposes on the environment so I offset it with fees, and I have the smallest possible home, and no car, and so on

What sticks in the craw is the preachy Green lefties, especially on here, who wank on and on and yet they keep dogs and cats which is just about the worst thing you can do for Britain's strained ecosystem. This latest revelation that vet medicines poison our rivers merely adds to that argument, and their evil

KILL YOUR PETS, YOU HYPOCRITES
    dixiedean said:

nico679 said:

Thank you Paris .

He can't because he just called one and legally in my understanding a further year has to pass
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Hitler was fond of dogs.
    Sounds 'weird' to me.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I am not a hypocrite, I accept my lifestyle imposes on the environment so I offset it with fees, and I have the smallest possible home, and no car, and so on

What sticks in the craw is the preachy Green lefties, especially on here, who wank on and on and yet they keep dogs and cats which is just about the worst thing you can do for Britain's strained ecosystem. This latest revelation that vet medicines poison our rivers merely adds to that argument, and their evil

You mean you try to greenwash your sins away....sorry doesnt wash
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Tell you what, I will halve my flights, if you kill your dog. Deal?
    Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

nico679 said:

Thank you Paris .

He can't because he just called one and legally in my understanding a further year has to pass
    But he could've called the one he called now instead of then.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

The real worst thing you can do? Be alive. Humans are ruining the environment, so the real answer, sadly, is fewer humans. You’ve had two kids. Two humans out there ruining the environment.

Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I dont have a dog

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Hitler was fond of dogs.
    Sounds 'weird' to me.

Definitely something odd about the chap.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Clare Balding's closing speech was brilliant. Some politician should recruit its author.
    It appears the IDF this evening has signs of preparations in Western Iran suggesting something 'imminent' coming its way. What imminent really means is anyones guess.

Lot of false starts on this one but as odd as it sounds, maybe they wanted to wait for the Olympics to finish.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

The real worst thing you can do? Be alive. Humans are ruining the environment, so the real answer, sadly, is fewer humans. You’ve had two kids. Two humans out there ruining the environment.

So you are saying cyclists should be fair game.....ok I will quote that in court
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Surely end ALL you flights? How many in the last twelve months? And forget the bollocks about carbon offsetting. It’s akin to the rubbish being ‘recycled’ by being sent by boat to the third world.
    @Robert___Harris
    Politicians generally get a bad rap, so here is a quick shout out to the underrated John Major, who insisted on creating a national lottery with the specific aim of putting money into British sport, tripling our tally of Olympic medals over the past 32 years
    https://x.com/Robert___Harris/status/1822708970714288301
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

So you are saying cyclists should be fair game.....ok I will quote that in court
    I was very careful to avoid suggesting suicide or murder as an environmental good.
    HYUFD said:

@Robert___Harris
    Politicians generally get a bad rap, so here is a quick shout out to the underrated John Major, who insisted on creating a national lottery with the specific aim of putting money into British sport, tripling our tally of Olympic medals over the past 32 years

After Atlanta in 1996 something needed to be done.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Of course I am being provocative, but the thing is, dog owners and cat owners don't even admit there is a problem, do they? They won't even acknowledge it? Not a shred of guilt, not a scintilla of remorse, even as they devastate the environment

Fuck them. And it's not like dog owning or cat owning is essential (unlike, say, travel) for all but a few people with working dogs, it is a frivolous choice. And it is an evil selfish choice, to my mind, and one that should shame the chooser

Eventually, the world will realise this, until then we have to put up with these selfish fucks and their ludicrous "pets"
    edited August 11

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I was very careful to avoid suggesting suicide or murder as an environmental good.
    But what about driving without due care and attention?
    HYUFD said:

@Robert___Harris

You obviously haven't realised by reading the previous comments that some of don't see that as a positive thing. I would have rather the national lottery money went towards say playgrounds for all kids that some elite athelete

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I guess it depends how you dispose of the bodies nods
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Of course I am being provocative, but the thing is, dog owners and cat owners don't even admit there is a problem, do they? They won't even acknowledge it? Not a shred of guilt, not a scintilla of remorse, even as they devastate the environment

Fuck them. And it's not like dog owning or cat owning is essential (unlike, say, travel) for all but a few people with working dogs, it is a frivolous choice. And it is an evil selfish choice, to my mind, and one that should shame the chooser

Eventually, the world will realise this, until then we have to put up with these selfish fucks and their ludicrous "pets"
    Most pet owners probably do realise that there are issues, just as there are with human medicines entering the water courses. They also tend to regard pets as part of the family. If you don’t feel that way about pets, you will never understand.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

That made me spit out my vegan no-dog Cambodian dog curry!
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Travel abroad is not necessary for 99.99 % of the population and in your case it is even worse...you jet off to foreign climes putting co2 into the atmosphere in order to persuade people to emulate you. When it comes to green issues you are a mongol horde
    The Afghan team at the Olympics was organised by the Afghan Olympic Committee in exile, without involvement of the Taliban government.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057
    Andy_JS said:

Yes. It was talked about for some weeks. It wasn't a surprise.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Most pet owners probably do realise that there are issues, just as there are with human medicines entering the water courses. They also tend to regard pets as part of the family. If you don’t feel that way about pets, you will never understand.
    I completely understand. I grew up in a pet-owning family, and I GREW OUT OF IT, when I realised it is quite perverse, keeping live animals as weird neutered slaves, solely for amusement, to make up for some creepy social deficit in the owner

Honestly, in about 100 years we will look back on pet-owning - and, to be fair, meat-eating of slaughtered sentient creatures - the way we look back on human slavery now
    Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

@Robert___Harris

You obviously haven't realised by reading the previous comments that some of don't see that as a positive thing. I would have rather the national lottery money went towards say playgrounds for all kids that some elite athelete
    Bollocks to that.
    Yokes said:

Pagan2 said:

HYUFD said:

@Robert___Harris

Bollocks to that.
    It as opinion of mine, you gave yours as well but its a free country for now
    edited August 11
    Hiccups have to be the most pesky thing.
    Super annoying. But you don't get any sympathy unlike cancer or crabs or summat
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648
    Leon said:

We need a dictator, who will simply impose all this, and fuck the opposition. I am willing if called upon, etc

Fuck off simp
    Tres said:

Leon said:

We need a dictator, who will simply impose all this, and fuck the opposition. I am willing if called upon, etc

Fuck off simp
    He just wants a harem of nubile girls
    edited August 11
    Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Travel abroad is not necessary for 99.99 % of the population and in your case it is even worse...you jet off to foreign climes putting co2 into the atmosphere in order to persuade people to emulate you. When it comes to green issues you are a mongol horde
    Jetting off to 5 star hotels in warm, sunny climates IS MY JOB. It's dark and lonely work, but someone has to do it. Yes, it impacts the environment, but if I wasn't willing to submit to the yoke, some other poor bastard would have to do it, so you can get a decent evaluation of the 24/7 four handed ayurvedic massage spa. It HAS TO BE DONE

No one HAS to own a pet, that is the signal difference. I make sacrifices for the betterment of mankind, socially inept twats keep dogs and pets because they can't maintain a proper conversation with a human. Wankers
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    edited August 11
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

I have evolved beyond the need to keep a special animal slave to make up for my social inadequacies, yes. Also, I can see the enormous toll these enslaved creatures exact on the environment, from evil hormones in the rivers to millions of dead songbirds. You clearly don't give a fuck about any of this, so well done
    Whilst a ban isn't happening, my eco-campaigner side totally agrees with you.

Pet cats should definitely be banned in the Highlands for a start because they are killing off our native cat via interbreeding. There are programmes to try and stop this but it would be easier just to ban the things.

Never mind the bird killing countrywide.

And dogs are no better. Stupid owners wandering around the moors with their pooches that 'wouldn't hurt a fly' displacing rare birds. Crap everywhere. XL Bullies.

As a concession we should perhaps allow working dogs as long as they are only fed on rioters.

I do confess we have had two rescue bunnies (one was dumped on the street) that mostly ate grass in the garden. I think they should be permitted as they aren't so antisocial (except the Rabbit of Caerbannog, obvs).
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Jetting off to 5 star hotels in warm. sunny climates IS MY JOB. It's dark and lonely work, but someone has to do it. Yes, it impacts the enviornment, but if I wasn't willing to submit to the yoke, some other poor bastard wluld have to do it, so you can get a decent evaluation of the 24/7 four handed ayurvedic massage spa. It HAS TO BE DONE

No one HAS to own a pet, that is the signal difference. I make sacrifices for the betterment of mankind, socially inept twats keep dogs and pets because they can't maintain a proper conversation with a human. Wankers
    No one has to do your job at all. You add zero to the sum of human knowledge, you do commit ecocide by being the face that launched a thousand flights.....I will call you helen from now on

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Cats should definitely be banned in the Highlands for a start because they are killing off our native cat via interbreeding. There are programmes to try and stop this but it would be easier just to ban the things.

And dogs are no better. Stupid owners wandering around the moors with their pooches that 'wouldn't hurt a fly' displacing rare birds. Crap everywhere. XL Bullies.

As a concession we should perhaps allow working dogs as long as they are only fed on rioters.

I do confess we have had two rescue bunnies (one was dumped on the street) that mostly ate grass in the garden. I think they should be permitted as they aren't so antisocial (except the Rabbit of Caerbannog, obvs).
    If I become dictator - which is sadly unlikely, despite the alarm of @Tres - I would absolutely ban the keeping of pet dogs and cats, for all the reasons you state, They are ecologically disastrous. I am winding people up on here, for fun, on a quiet night, but I also sincerely believe this, I do not understand people who claim to care about the environment, yet also keep a dog or a cat. It is monstrous hypocrisy
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Leon said:

Erdogan of Turkey has recently ordered that stray dogs must be rounded up and killed if homes can't be found for them.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/article/2024/jun/30/erdogan-cull-turkey-street-dogs
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Jetting off to 5 star hotels in warm, sunny climates IS MY JOB. It's dark and lonely work, but someone has to do it. Yes, it impacts the environment, but if I wasn't willing to submit to the yoke, some other poor bastard would have to do it, so you can get a decent evaluation of the 24/7 four handed ayurvedic massage spa. It HAS TO BE DONE

Is this tirade aimed at just pet owners who are single /divorced/widowed or will families or couples who own pets be subject to the same restrictions/punishment in Leon’s Brave New World ?
  • StereodogStereodog Posts: 568
    Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Cats should definitely be banned in the Highlands for a start because they are killing off our native cat via interbreeding. There are programmes to try and stop this but it would be easier just to ban the things.

If I become dictator - which is sadly unlikely, despite the alarm of @Tres - I would absolutely ban the keeping of pet dogs and cats, for all the reasons you state, They are ecologically disastrous. I am winding people up on here, for fun, on a quiet night, but I also sincerely believe this, I do not understand people who claim to care about the environment, yet also keep a dog or a cat. It is monstrous hypocrisy
    Agree with you about the cats. They're actually super evolved killing machines that we've arbitrarily decided are cute because of their fur.
    Stereodog said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Agree with you about the cats. They're actually super evolved killing machines that we've arbitrarily decided are cute because of their fur.
    Also to point out a lot of us dont bang on about the environment
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 136

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Football
    Rugby
    Tennis
    Golf
    Basketball

Sport?
    Closing ceremonies?
    This was interesting given recent discussions on PB: Cricket will be in the 2028 Olympics for first time since 1900.

'T20 format and 20 overs.' Team GB gotta be in the running for a medal in men's and women?

Still no darts or snooker...
    Will GB field a team at cricket? I can't see the Scottish Cricket Union being as obstinate as the SFA. So probably.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    I know almost no Latin, so I don't the correct term for someone with an irrational fear of dogs. Something ending in "phobia", I would guess. Would someone who does know Latin provide us with the word, please?

For the record: As anyone familiar with cats knows, they don't have owners; they have staffs.

Some people claim that dogs do have owners; I think it more correct to say that pet dogs have "senior partners". (Most dogs in the world do not belong to individuals, or even families, but are "village" dogs, and partner, losely with entire villages.)

In the past, some dogs figured out they could make an even better life for themselves by joining human individuals, families, or villages. It's been a success for them; there ae many more dogs in the world than wolves.

And the partnership is worthwhile for families, especially families with thildren:
    https://www.thedrakecenter.com/services/dogs/blog/5-advantages-kids-who-grow-dogs

(Correct me if I am worng, but wasn't your late queen quite fond of dogs? I don't suppose she would mutter "off with his head" at a dog phobe, since she appears to have been a tolerant woman, but I can imagine her thinking the person was a little off.)

I know almost no Latin, so I don't the correct term for someone with an irrational fear of dogs. Something ending in "phobia", I would guess. Would someone who does know Latin provide us with the word, please?

For the record: As anyone familiar with cats knows, they don't have owners; they have staffs.

Some people claim that dogs do have owners; I think it more correct to say that pet dogs have "senior partners". (Most dogs in the world do not belong to individuals, or even families, but are "village" dogs, and partner, losely with entire villages.)

In the past, some dogs figured out they could make an even better life for themselves by joining human individuals, families, or villages. It's been a success for them; there ae many more dogs in the world than wolves.

And the partnership is worthwhile for families, especially families with thildren:
    https://www.thedrakecenter.com/services/dogs/blog/5-advantages-kids-who-grow-dogs

(Correct me if I am worng, but wasn't your late queen quite fond of dogs? I don't suppose she would mutter "off with his head" at a dog phobe, since she appears to have been a tolerant woman, but I can imagine her thinking the person was a little off.)

Cynophobia is the word you are looking for

Thanks, Pagan2. Assuming a parallel with similar terms, cynophobia would be the fear, and cynophobe would be the person.

Can any of you recommend a cognitive therapist who might be able to help someone suffering from cynophobia?

Thanks, Pagan2. Assuming a parallel with similar terms, cynophobia would be the fear, and cynophobe would be the person.

Can any of you recommend a cognitive therapist who might be able to help someone suffering from cynophobia?

You are in the us I believe, most of us being in the uk are probably not in a position to recommend

I'm no fan of dogs, having been attacked by one when very young.
    People shouldn't automatically assume you like dogs. Keep them on a lead.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676

Leon said:

Interesting paragraph from that Times article cited FPT

"Polling for The Times by YouGov shows that 93 per cent of the public — including 87 per cent of Labour voters — believe the government should do more to deal with current levels of migration to the UK.

"And while only 8 per cent of the public had sympathy with the unrest, 58 per cent (including over half of all Labour voters) said they had sympathy with those who protested peacefully. More than a third (42 per cent) said that the demonstrations had been justified, while most worryingly for the government more than half (51 per cent) said that immigration is the top issue facing the country. This is a rise of 19 per cent since the election and the first time that immigration has topped YouGov’s issue tracker since 2016."

Have a look at this polling.

https://x.com/LukeTryl/status/1822547842172371115
    "polling"
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Tres said:

Leon said:

Fuck off simp
    What is this 'simp' phrase. It's hideous.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Buy a frigging robot
    "Frigging robot" speaks of your breadth of experience.

I seem to remember they were present in the Joy of Sex (original hairy version, sans Brazilian).
    Pagan2 said: "You are in the us I believe, most of us being in the uk are probably not in a position to recommend" The cynophobe I have in mind lives in London.
    Drone attack being reported at airbase near Moscow.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279

Tres said:

Leon said:

Fuck off simp
    What is this 'simp' phrase. It's hideous.
    https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Simp
    Leon said:

Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

It is a totally valid polemic and the counter arguments are a little thin.

Even if you aren't into banning things (which my non eco-campaigner side isn't) there is a real argument that keeping of large pets should be heavily licensed. We manage to track every cow, so why not every dog?

Off the lead in a public area? 3 points on your licence. 12 points? Rover gets sent to Thailand.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Buy a frigging robot
    Where can one buy these frigging robots?

Chkalovsky. Its reportedly been attacked before but from the ground.
    edited August 11

This Kursk invasion must be causing worries in Moscow, and not just due to the "normal" grabbing of territory.

There's now no border infrastructure. Lots of Russians are fleeing.

Surely it is now all too easy to send in special forces in civilian cars during the chaos?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    edited August 12
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Missed that news somehow.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    Leon said:

Pagan2 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Funny, we think pretty much the same thing about you and your constant meanderings around the world spoiling otherwse rather nice locations. No one HAS to do your job. You do it because you are incapable of any form of normal relationship and it makes you feel like you are part of normal human society. You aren't of course but you like to think you are. I suspect you are on PB for exactly the same reason. We don't all scorn you for it. Some of us actually rather pity you. Sometimes.
    Andy_JS said:

viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

Missed that news somehow.
    I tend to haunt the gossip pages

https://www.tmz.com/2024/08/01/tom-cruise-stunt-paris-olympics-closing-ceremony-pass-flag-los-angeles-2028/
    https://www.theguardian.com/sport/article/2024/aug/01/tom-cruise-paris-olympics-closing-ceremony
  • rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 8,126
    Genuinely think there is a potential anti pet movement out there waiting to coalesce. Particularly since the pandemic, pets have encroached on what were human only spaces.

We have dog friendly cafes and restaurants. Near me there is a normal swimming pool with a dog friendly day.

But the English love their pets. Perhaps more than they love their children.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    rkrkrk said:

Genuinely think there is a potential anti pet movement out there waiting to coalesce. Particularly since the pandemic, pets have encroached on what were human only spaces.

We have dog friendly cafes and restaurants. Near me there is a normal swimming pool with a dog friendly day.

But the English love their pets. Perhaps more than they love their children.

Yes, it's been ages since we last had riots triggered by the slaughter of three young children.

Family remember Alice at Southport funeral
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cwyj8wz8157o
    More Tom Cruise: the live abseil integrated with pre-recorded footage

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c3d9ervrv5mo
This discussion has been closed.