Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

It’s the economy, stupid – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• TazTaz Posts: 13,401

Taz said:

That big black hole is now so bad Reeves is reversing 66000 civil service jobs cuts planned for this year

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/08/04/labour-drops-tory-plans-to-cut-civil-service-numbers/

It has been suggested she is going to give in to ASLEF pay demands as well which indicates the public sector and unions are heading for a considerable largesse that require billions of extra taxes
    We should not be surprised by this. Labour rewarding their client vote. The Tories did the same for years.

Won't the impact for the ASLEF increase be on ticket prices rather than taxes though ?

Not sure if they are all on the same "gold plated" pensions the saintly Junior Doctors are on with their 25% or so employer contribution.

Trouble with the junior doctors is they can work in Australia for shorter hours, double the money and half the paperwork. Canada too is sniffing around.
    Yet, by and large, they don't. We need to increase the number of training places for a start.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,496

malcolmg said:

WillG said:

kyf_100 said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h
    One of the most repulsive, inaccurate and frankly embarrassing headlines in the history of the Daily Telegraph. It has appalled many of its own journalists. It is beneath contempt.

Not seen the headline. What is it referring to?
    THis presumably?

https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/
    But is it factually incorrect or not ?

I cannot believe anything it says on Twitter about this as there is so much disinformation around.
    The far right have largely clashed with the police and a bit with counter-protestors of no specific religion. I’m not aware of any clashes between the far right and Muslims, unless you count the far right dragging individuals out of cars and beating them up. There was a Muslim counter-protesting group in Bolton who clashed with police, but the police successfully kept them away from the far right protest. So, I’d say that headline is incorrect.
    Then you're not looking hard enough. There is plenty of video of armed and organised groups of men of Asian appearance meting out punishment beatings to men - clearly far right thugs based on their appearance and concealed faces - who have become separated from the wider racist mob.

I will not link to those videos as they are often accompanied by factually incorrect far right commentary. However they are very easy to find. For example, there is one of a large group of men administering a beatdown to a lone masked man in Parliament Road, Middlesborough. It's one of the most brutal things I've seen on a UK street.

In context, the far right had marched down that street earlier that day, set at least one car alight, and they deliberately marched there because it was in the vicinity of two Mosques. Something the avid far-right reposting of the video neglects to mention.

There are other similar videos if you look, and Alex Thomson of Channel 4 news described the situation in Middlesborough last night on TwiX as 'police playing cat and mouse with groups of whites and asians both looking for trouble'.

While I abhor and condemn all violence I also understand the point of view of the counter-protesters who were out last night issuing what we'll politely call street justice to any far right protesters they could find.

However I fear that we are now locked into a cycle of increasing violence - they beat yours up, then you beat theirs up, then they use that to justify a counter attack, and so forth. Until you end up with years or even decades of sectarian violence where nobody even remembers who started it, just their hatred for the other side.

The police need to come down hard on both groups, not just to avoid the cycle of violence from worsening, but also because many of those videos are incorrectly labeled as 'angry Muslim mob beat up innocent white man on the street' and are being pushed by popular far right accounts, stoking up further tension.
    There is a lot of people on here who are ideologically incapable of seeing the violence happening in both directions. Angry white people engaging in ethnic violence = horrible far right fascists that need to face the full force of the law. Angry Muslim people engaging in ethnic violence = doesn't exist/understandable/poor oppressed class that needs to be engaged with sensitively. It is the same reason all those white girls were blamed for their own rapes.
    Number of angry white people >> number of angry Muslim people. Events started by angry white people after an event involving 0 Muslims.

What happened in Rotherham does not justify your constant Islamophobia.
    England is absolutely knackered with Islamism and the demands of the portion of hardline nutters in it wanting to turn it into Iran or suchlike.
    I live in NW London. My daughter is one of three white kids in her class. The rest are hindus, muslims, you name it. And the school is outstanding with some of the highest SATs in the country. Our neighbours and class parents are a delight. I go to a regular gym and talk with lots of the lads there.... everybody is nice and polite and neighbourly. I just don't recognise the story you are conjouring here. Tell you what though. Whenever I visit the areas where people are most angry - i don't actually see any brown people there. Where are you seeing these demands to turn the uk into Iran???
    If the entire country had the demographics of your daughter's school, what do you think its politics would be like?
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,075

Taz said:

That big black hole is now so bad Reeves is reversing 66000 civil service jobs cuts planned for this year

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/08/04/labour-drops-tory-plans-to-cut-civil-service-numbers/

It has been suggested she is going to give in to ASLEF pay demands as well which indicates the public sector and unions are heading for a considerable largesse that require billions of extra taxes
    We should not be surprised by this. Labour rewarding their client vote. The Tories did the same for years.

Won't the impact for the ASLEF increase be on ticket prices rather than taxes though ?

Not sure if they are all on the same "gold plated" pensions the saintly Junior Doctors are on with their 25% or so employer contribution.

Trouble with the junior doctors is they can work in Australia for shorter hours, double the money and half the paperwork. Canada too is sniffing around.
    Trouble with junior doctors is we dont train enough of them.

If you can add 22% to the payroll recruit 22% more doctors
    Of course, but that takes a decade of investment, and unfortunately it is rare we get a decade without the Tories in power looking for quick spending cuts that don't hit the 4 year electoral cycle.
    In the real world

• moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,490
    Leon said:

It’s time to officially despair

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment
    Give 3000% pay rises to all public sector workers
    Destroy the English education system
    Fail entirely on the boats
    Fail entirely on migration
    Bring in more hate speech legislation and online blah and infinite surveillance and all the rest
    Force us all to use pronouns
    Build ugly houses exactly where they are not needed
    Raise taxes on anyone who dares to work
    Actually torture people who start companies
    Do it all while sneering at us for being horrible British people

Fuck this. Time to go, lads

This was all pretty plain prior to the election, it’s quite hard to understand your vote.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,841

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment
    Bring in more hate speech legislation and online blah and infinite surveillance and all the rest

This is just wishful thinking on your behalf mate....

P.s. You were always already using pronouns.... all languages do hahahahaha
    In fact Starmer is planning to build thousands of Georgian and Edwardian-styled houses that Leon
    may like.

Plus he's only about five minutes into the job..
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,454
    malcolmg said:

WillG said:

kyf_100 said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h
    One of the most repulsive, inaccurate and frankly embarrassing headlines in the history of the Daily Telegraph. It has appalled many of its own journalists. It is beneath contempt.

THis presumably?

I cannot believe anything it says on Twitter about this as there is so much disinformation around.
    The far right have largely clashed with the police and a bit with counter-protestors of no specific religion. I’m not aware of any clashes between the far right and Muslims, unless you count the far right dragging individuals out of cars and beating them up. There was a Muslim counter-protesting group in Bolton who clashed with police, but the police successfully kept them away from the far right protest. So, I’d say that headline is incorrect.
    Then you're not looking hard enough. There is plenty of video of armed and organised groups of men of Asian appearance meting out punishment beatings to men - clearly far right thugs based on their appearance and concealed faces - who have become separated from the wider racist mob.

I will not link to those videos as they are often accompanied by factually incorrect far right commentary. However they are very easy to find. For example, there is one of a large group of men administering a beatdown to a lone masked man in Parliament Road, Middlesborough. It's one of the most brutal things I've seen on a UK street.

In context, the far right had marched down that street earlier that day, set at least one car alight, and they deliberately marched there because it was in the vicinity of two Mosques. Something the avid far-right reposting of the video neglects to mention.

There are other similar videos if you look, and Alex Thomson of Channel 4 news described the situation in Middlesborough last night on TwiX as 'police playing cat and mouse with groups of whites and asians both looking for trouble'.

While I abhor and condemn all violence I also understand the point of view of the counter-protesters who were out last night issuing what we'll politely call street justice to any far right protesters they could find.

However I fear that we are now locked into a cycle of increasing violence - they beat yours up, then you beat theirs up, then they use that to justify a counter attack, and so forth. Until you end up with years or even decades of sectarian violence where nobody even remembers who started it, just their hatred for the other side.

The police need to come down hard on both groups, not just to avoid the cycle of violence from worsening, but also because many of those videos are incorrectly labeled as 'angry Muslim mob beat up innocent white man on the street' and are being pushed by popular far right accounts, stoking up further tension.
    There is a lot of people on here who are ideologically incapable of seeing the violence happening in both directions. Angry white people engaging in ethnic violence = horrible far right fascists that need to face the full force of the law. Angry Muslim people engaging in ethnic violence = doesn't exist/understandable/poor oppressed class that needs to be engaged with sensitively. It is the same reason all those white girls were blamed for their own rapes.
    Number of angry white people >> number of angry Muslim people. Events started by angry white people after an event involving 0 Muslims.

England is absolutely knackered with Islamism and the demands of the portion of hardline nutters in it wanting to turn it into Iran or suchlike.
    Katie Hopkins, is that you?
  • CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 465

malcolmg said:

WillG said:

kyf_100 said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h

THis presumably?

I live in NW London. My daughter is one of three white kids in her class. The rest are hindus, muslims, you name it. And the school is outstanding with some of the highest SATs in the country. Our neighbours and class parents are a delight. I go to a regular gym and talk with lots of the lads there.... everybody is nice and polite and neighbourly. I just don't recognise the story you are conjouring here. Tell you what though. Whenever I visit the areas where people are most angry - i don't actually see any brown people there. Where are you seeing these demands to turn the uk into Iran???
    If the entire country had the demographics of your daughter's school, what do you think its politics would be like?
    We would all be rich, because the parents are all IT, Finance, Research, Engineering, Medical or Dentistry hahahaha (so fair enough)

malcolmg said:

WillG said:

kyf_100 said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h

THis presumably?

None of that is true.
    There are about 5 1/2 islamists in England.

You could easily fit them and the EDL in a smallish venue.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,814
    “Ideas range from fewer tests and less emphasis on grammar to sex education reform and more children’s agency”

What experts?

No one has asked me but I guess they don’t think I am an expert.

If the above happens, schools in the UK are finished.

https://x.com/miss_snuffy/status/1820403741729640582?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,067

Taz said:

Of course, but that takes a decade of investment, and unfortunately it is rare we get a decade without the Tories in power looking for quick spending cuts that don't hit the 4 year electoral cycle.
    In the real world

If i remember correctly there are also more GPs than ever. But nobody can get a GPs appointment because there are a) more old people, b) more people in general and c) a lot of the GP don't work full time (that isn't a slight on them, it is many have prioritised family and gone for part time / flexi work).
    Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

“Force us all to use pronouns” - you are an arse.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,075
    Leon said:

“Ideas range from fewer tests and less emphasis on grammar to sex education reform and more children’s agency”

What experts?

https://x.com/miss_snuffy/status/1820403741729640582?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

Sandpit-based UK schools are going to start offering boarding at this rate.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,489
    darkage said:

Leon said:

Labour: going to “decolonise the curriculum” (how? Even more? How??) and also abolish tests for grammars (or so it is apparently suggested)

“So it wouldn’t actually surprise me if they do say schools can no longer use test scores or academic criteria in their admissions throughout the country. And they can take pretty decent cover from a fair amount of academic evidence base around that.”

That would be the end of selective or grammar schools, wouldn’t it?

https://www.theguardian.com/education/article/2024/aug/05/englands-curriculum-review-what-education-experts-want-to-see

It’s going to be the worst government in British history. Which given the last 14 years is quite something.

Sounding horribly like the approach taken in Scotland which has been an unmitigated disaster, with the performance of Scotland's schools cratering compared to other comparable countries (such as England).

Truly - let's hope they don't go down that road. It'll end up as an educational car crash.
    The article is not an explanation of government policy. it is what 'experts' want. Of course if they go full on decolonisation of the curriculum / abolition of grammar schools it is just going to bolster their political opponents. But this is not where the centre ground is and labour understand that as they avoided the subjects completely during their election campaign.
    To be fair, Labour avoided saying anything about pretty much anything during their election campaign. Hence why I am starting to feel like they’re going to come unstuck fairly quickly, sadly.
    Leon said:

What experts?

This Katherine Birbelsingh?

https://inews.co.uk/news/education/tories-strictest-headteacher-school-never-built-3201579
    moonshine said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

This was all pretty plain prior to the election, it’s quite hard to understand your vote.
    Forlorn hope. Look at my choice. Tories: no way. Not after their immigration betrayal (and everything else). Reform? - Farage screwed that with his Putin apologia

I reluctantly loaned my vote to Labour in the vague hope they would have good and fresh ideas and they needed a decent majority for difficult reform

I had no idea they would turn out to be so shit so fast. There is no reform. There are no good ideas. There are only bad ideas and helpless clueless management of accelerating decline
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,480
    edited August 5
    Leon said:

Labour: going to “decolonise the curriculum” (how? Even more? How??) and also abolish tests for grammars (or so it is apparently suggested)

“So it wouldn’t actually surprise me if they do say schools can no longer use test scores or academic criteria in their admissions throughout the country. And they can take pretty decent cover from a fair amount of academic evidence base around that.”

https://www.theguardian.com/education/article/2024/aug/05/englands-curriculum-review-what-education-experts-want-to-see

It’s going to be the worst government in British history. Which given the last 14 years is quite something.

That is not what they’re planning. It’s a list of educational ‘experts’ most of whom are as ignorant as Cummings wishcasting.

It’s the equivalent of them interviewing me and being told, ‘it wouldn’t surprise me to see her order the staff of the DfE fight to the death in gladiatorial combats at Wembley Stadium.’

(Although it would be good to get rid of SATS and the over-emphasis on exams at GCSE and A-level.)
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,740
    Sandpit said:

Taz said:

I go back to my madcap idea of setting up an NHS university hospital in Manila or Mumbai, teaching medical professionals to UK qualifications with visas for anyone who wants one on graduation. The BMA would be furious.
    I would open it in Kerala, where many UK doctors already come from.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,581
    Leon said:

What experts?

'Less emphasis on grammar'? Grammar isn't taught in schools at all is it? Or at least it weren't in my day.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,125
    edited August 5

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

This is just wishful thinking on your behalf mate....

P.s. You were always already using pronouns.... all languages do hahahahaha
    In fact Starmer is planning to build thousands of Georgian and Edwardian-styled houses that Leon
    may like.

Plus he's only about five minutes into the job..
    It will be two Crawleys and a Cumbernauld on the side

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/beautiful-housing-rule-blocked-development-claims-rayner/ar-BB1qXZ0n?ocid=BingNewsSerp
  • moonshinemoonshine Posts: 5,490
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

Forlorn hope. Look at my choice. Tories: no way. Not after their immigration betrayal (and everything else). Reform? - Farage screwed that with his Putin apologia

I reluctantly loaned my vote to Labour in the vague hope they would have good and fresh ideas and they needed a decent majority for difficult reform

I had no idea they would turn out to be so shit so fast. There is no reform. There are no good ideas. There are only bad ideas and helpless clueless management of accelerating decline
    Voting as an adult is voting for the least shit option.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,456
    Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The main thing that I object to in this is the 'lads' bit. A clear indication that you want to stand back and let the other fuckwits get hurt. Anyone ever using that phrase is the same. Ghastly!
    edited August 5
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The main thing that I object to in this is the 'lads' bit. A clear indication that you want to stand back and let the other fuckwits get hurt. Anyone ever using that phrase is the same. Ghastly!
    what if it's their chosen pronoun ?
    Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

Why not start your own party?

Getting across a message of malign negativity worked beautifully for Farage.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,511

malcolmg said:

WillG said:

kyf_100 said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h

THis presumably?

None of that is true.

Can we lock the doors as well.
  • theakestheakes Posts: 910
    Yes, well, the three States, Trump won 2, and anyone this election will not be primarily fought on the Economy.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

That is not what they’re planning. It’s a list of educational ‘experts’ most of whom are as ignorant as Cummings wishcasting.

It’s the equivalent of them interviewing me and being told, ‘it wouldn’t surprise me to see her order the staff of the DfE fight to the death in gladiatorial combats at Wembley Stadium.

(Although it would be good to get rid of SATS and the over-emphasis on exams at GCSE and A-level.)

“order the staff of the DfE fight to the death in gladiatorial combats at Wembley Stadium.”

Stupid idea - we need them to crew the first manned landing on the Sun, remember?

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

And to think you voted for this. Then again, what choice did you have?

The Tories did

Bankrupt the economy - record taxes in peacetime, an explosion in debt (state, personal, business) and no money left to build things or provide public services
    Cancel all investment - yep. Comedy NAO report into the cancellation of HS2a which confirms that no agency who knows what they were doing was consulted, and that once HS2 opens the government will need to price people off the rails as capacity will be lower than before it opened.
    3000% pay rise? Don't be silly
    Destroy the English education system. Well thats what happens when you cut money for front line services. Cash still available to line the pockets of execs running dodgy academy chains and free schools of course
    Fail entirely on the boats. Yep - an "invasion" according to the Home Secretary who watched them come and did nothing
    Fail entirely on migration - yep. The replacement Home Secretary rightly attacked the Rwanda policy before taking the job. Then tried to claim it was the opposite of what he said
    Bring in more hate speech legislation. Like the one passed just before the end of the parliament you mean?
    Force us all to use pronouns. Yep, I've filled in about 5 forms for things this morning and they all wanted my pronoun. And always did. And always will.
    Build ugly houses where they aren't needed. To be fair I'll give you that - the Tories built hardly any houses, hence the problems of today
    Actually torture people who start companies. Well as the director of 3 companies - one of which I incorporated last week - I am sad to report that I am not being tortured.
    All whilst sneering at us for being British. Like Patel and Braverman?

We can do this all day love.
    I notice now that the election is out of the way the LibDems arent so worried about water quality.
    It’s not me that’s gonna suffer all this. It’s you mugs staying in Britain. Dinna say I didnae warn you!
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,012
    edited August 5
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

"'Ang on a minute, lads, I've got a great idea! Er... er... er...."
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,732
    edited August 5

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

viewcode said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

ydoethur said:

Nigelb said:

Former GOP Lt. Of Georgia GeoffDuncanGA on Donald Trump:

“He is a felon thug who walks down the street and throws sucker punches at people like Brian Kemp, like African American journalists, Like John McCain…The Republican party is content sitting across the street watching it happen not calling him out not jumping into that fight saying you are wrong for us ."

https://x.com/RpsAgainstTrump/status/1820129273946009641

Interesting that he's making the same point I did about how far gone the Republicans are and how difficult it will be to pull them back into the mainstream.

Could the man with terrible hair see them go the way of the Whigs?
    Trump is a grifting narcissist with no real beliefs, but the party he has created behind him is looking increasingly like a religious movement which is pushing for state integralism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integralism

That's completely antithetical to the US constitutional and political tradition, but it's undeniably a central element of current GOP doctrine. And epitomised by the selection of Vance as VP.
    Bookmarking the above for @viewcode , as he's keen on broad political theories, and I don't think he's done this one ?
    Noted, thank you. My to-do list for PB looks like this:

Monitory Democracy and the Blob, looking at the institutions involved and how the NatCons and PopCons are forming arguments against it. It basically boils down to John Keane vs David Starkey..
    On that one, you might also consider this argument.

https://slate.com/business/2023/02/subway-costs-us-europe-public-transit-funds.html
    ..A mammoth report from New York University’s Transit Costs Project makes a good case that the numbers are indeed astronomical, and there’s something we can do about it. Not just because bringing American transit construction into line with international best practices will make it possible for America to build big again—but also because what’s true for transit is true for the moribund public sector in general, and transit might be an object lesson.

According to authors Eric Goldwyn, Alon Levy, Elif Ensari, and Marco Chitti, there’s a lot going wrong with American transit projects—more on this in a moment—but many of the problems can be traced to a larger philosophy: outsourcing government expertise to a retainer of consultants. “What I’ve heard from consultants, which is surprising because they make so much money off this stuff, is, ‘Agencies don’t know what they want, and we have to figure it out,’ ” Goldwyn said.

For example, when the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority got to work on the Green Line Extension, the agency only had a half-dozen full-time employees managing the largest capital project the MBTA had ever undertaken. On New York’s Second Avenue subway, the most expensive mile of subway ever built, consultant contracts were more than 20 percent of construction costs—more than double what’s standard in France or Italy. By 2011, the MTA had trimmed its in-house capital projects management group of 1,600 full-time employees (circa 1990) to just 124, tasked with steering $20 billion in investment.

Perhaps the most notorious case in this business is the debacle of the California High-Speed Rail project, which in its early years had a tiny full-time staff managing hundreds of millions of dollars in consulting contracts. California Gov. Gavin Newsom has tried to right the balance more recently: “I’m getting rid of a lot of consultants,” he said in 2018. “How did we get away with this?”

There are certainly advantages to hiring highly specialized experts who can come in, complete a task, and go on their way. Subway construction is not a regular government function in most of the United States, so you can see why small agencies are reluctant to staff up—especially since federal funding is unreliable. But that excuse does not apply to organizations in cities like Seattle or Los Angeles with multi-decade pipelines and voter approval to spend tens of billions of dollars.

There’s another, bigger drawback to being so reliant on outside help. The second megaproject is easier than the first, and resurrecting lost expertise is always challenging...

(Here's the report referenced in the article.
    https://transitcosts.com/final-report/ )
    I'd really like to use that, but my proposed article has a British bias. Do you have a British example?
    Not off hand I don't, but it echoes similar comments on PB over the last couple of years. I'll see what I can turn up, but would be grateful for the input of those more knowledgeable than I am.

I'd be very interested in (eg) Casino's take on this one.
    This decision falls squarely under the failure of leadership heading, though.

To re-open 3 miles of track to Portishead, the local council had to complete a 79,187 page long planning application. If printed out, that's 14.6 miles of paper (4 1/2 times the line itself!). Then they had to wait 3 years for approval.

Yet now this project may be scrapped.

https://x.com/Ben_A_Hopkinson/status/1820409315234082831

Benefit to cost ratio calculated at 4.85.
    18,000 pages on an environmental statement? FGS.

Mrs Flatlander was asked to do a site assessment / management plan for council X and they wanted to use DEFRA's suggested format which amounts to several hundred pages of boilerplate text for each site in a docx file that absolutely nobody will read.

It doesn't take 100 pages to say "manage the scrub in this area by cutting it every 5 years" even if DEFRA seem to think it does.

She is suggesting they might not find it useful so we'll see if they agree.

I think this is becoming more common in the field - nobody wants to produce pages and pages of guff that aren't read. It is a total waste of human effort. Small consultancies who have plenty of other work are just refusing to bid for this kind of crap.

Most ecologists don't get into the job because they want to spend 6 hours in the field followed by 6 weeks writing it up in legalese.

The only people who can be arsed writing these big reports are large consultancies who can assign the tedious stuff to some just-out-of-college minion who doesn't know any better. They of course charge ££££.

My experience exactly.
    On a smaller scale.

When I did PP for a medium sized housing estate back on 10 family acres in 2012, we had about a dozen reports including ~£20k for a Sustainable Drainage Scheme from Mott Mcdonald. The total budget we set aside to get to Planning Committee for an application for Outline PP, and a possible appeal, back then, was just under £100k.

It's a game I call Planning Poker, where you need a big table stake to buy in to the game, and you need to be able to afford to lose all of it.

It's all about de-risking the Council, and de-arming objections. Because every minor point that can be weaponised *will* be weaponised, even if it is an obvious thing to go ahead.

And no, it did not increase in value 100 fold.

We got a political no and won at Appeal.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,496

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

Hang on a minute. I thought you blamed him for telling people that Brexit would cure all our problems? That’s a message of hope and optimism.

Leon said:

What experts?

'Less emphasis on grammar'? Grammar isn't taught in schools at all is it? Or at least it weren't in my day.
    Shouldn’t that be ‘a reduced emphasis on grammar?’

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

what if it's their chosen pronoun ?
    If you want to be Lad A, it's fine by me. My objection is to the people that address others as 'lads' - merely a personal objection, but I have found them to be deeply unpleasant.

OH GOD GET ME OFF THIS TRAIN
    Leon said:

I thought you didn’t like talking about railways?
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

France can suck my pizzle
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Is that a euphemism for the remodeling of Colwich Junction or the Worksop to Newent tramway?
  • RattersRatters Posts: 1,002
    Incidentally, in my view Musk's rhetoric and support for the far right has now certainly gone far enough such that I wouldn't consider a Tesla while he remains CEO.

I'm not sure his new target audience is necessarily as likely to buy a reasonably high end electric car as the one he is busy alienating.

In other news, Tesla stock opening down almost 10% today.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 11,991

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

Bankrupt the economy - record taxes in peacetime, an explosion in debt (state, personal, business) and no money left to build things or provide public services
    Cancel all investment - yep. Comedy NAO report into the cancellation of HS2a which confirms that no agency who knows what they were doing was consulted, and that once HS2 opens the government will need to price people off the rails as capacity will be lower than before it opened.
    Destroy the English education system. Well thats what happens when you cut money for front line services. Cash still available to line the pockets of execs running dodgy academy chains and free schools of course
    Fail entirely on the boats. Yep - an "invasion" according to the Home Secretary who watched them come and did nothing
    Fail entirely on migration - yep. The replacement Home Secretary rightly attacked the Rwanda policy before taking the job. Then tried to claim it was the opposite of what he said
    Bring in more hate speech legislation. Like the one passed just before the end of the parliament you mean?
    Force us all to use pronouns. Yep, I've filled in about 5 forms for things this morning and they all wanted my pronoun. And always did. And always will.
    Build ugly houses where they aren't needed. To be fair I'll give you that - the Tories built hardly any houses, hence the problems of today
    Actually torture people who start companies. Well as the director of 3 companies - one of which I incorporated last week - I am sad to report that I am not being tortured.

I notice now that the election is out of the way the LibDems arent so worried about water quality.
    Translation: “since the election I’ve stopped paying attention to what the Lib Dems are saying and doing, at least partly because despite their 72 seats they get about 1% of the media coverage afforded to Nigel Farage”.

In the real world the new influx of MPs have been banging on about water quality till the cows come home, and the party will be putting down an opposition day motion for a clean water bill this summer.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,691

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

How do you know that? Media is concerned with other things at the moment.
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

Translation: “since the election I’ve stopped paying attention to what the Lib Dems are saying and doing, at least partly because despite their 72 seats they get about 1% of the media coverage afforded to Nigel Farage”.

In the real world the new influx of MPs have been banging on about water quality till the cows come home, and the party will be putting down an opposition day motion for a clean water bill this summer.
    Keep an eye on PMQs when it restarts.

I have an inkling that RefUK are going to go Phut in several respects.

Having taken legal advice.

Anybody who seeks to glorify, excuse/condone etc the current riots will be banned from PB.

Anybody who posts locations of upcoming disorder will meet a similar fate.

These are in the first of a series of steps we are taking to protect PB.

So that basically means we are doomed to discuss just how crap this government is

Ok I can live with it.
    Can we continually discuss how crap all governments are?
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 951
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

A stretch!
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

well I havent see Chuckles Davey on my screen any night reecently despite the fact the biggest water co is about to go tits up.

Taking your point maybe it's just as simple as Farage is a better communicator than Davey/Cooper
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,269
    Ratters said:

Incidentally, in my view Musk's rhetoric and support for the far right has now certainly gone far enough such that I wouldn't consider a Tesla while he remains CEO.

I'm not sure his new target audience is necessarily as likely to buy a reasonably high end electric car as the one he is busy alienating.

In other news, Tesla stock opening down almost 10% today.

I was a big fan of Musk before it became massively popular - from about 2008 onwards. Then, in about 2016 or so, I started to realise the sort of man he was. Incidentally, it was Ashlee Vance's hagiography that started the process. Then came the diver mess, Hyperloop, and everything else.

We decided we would not get a Tesla in about 2020 or so, if not earlier. We'd had enough of him.

I now think he's a bigger threat to America than even Trump.

Is that over the top? Perhaps. But he can do, and is doing, great damage.
    ydoethur said:

Anybody who seeks to glorify, excuse/condone etc the current riots will be banned from PB.

So that basically means we are doomed to discuss just how crap this government is

Ok I can live with it.
    Of course, but the bloke in the chair gets most attention as he can screw more things up
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,352

Ok I can live with it.
    We can also discuss Scottish independence and electoral reform.

Ok I can live with it.
    Do we get an AV style ballot on which one to talk about first?

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

The riots are a week old, in the prior 3 weeks I saw nothing for the LDs.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,333
    This sort of thing is unconscionable.
    It cannot be allowed to stand that ordinary folk are intimidated out of running simple businesses, and made to upend their entire lives, by a handful of thugs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/cw5yyynpwnzt
    ..Mohammed Idris, the owner of Bash café in Belfast, says he's closing down after it was burnt out during the disorder over the weekend.
    He says he feels his life is threatened after the attack on his business.
    "It's not easy to stay here – more for my life, my safety, I can't try over and over again with the same result", says Idris.
    During Saturday’s unrest, Idris says a group of people shouted his name and smashed the windows of his café before setting it alight.
    “For me it’s not easy – it is so difficult when they know your name. It’s scary, my life is threatened. A group of people coming, shouting my name.”
    Living in Belfast since 2002, he says the community are “good and kind people. Unfortunately a few people have let us down – but most people are very, very kind"...
    edited August 5
    This newly published book may be of interest to some (a few!) here, which touches on some things around Road Safety.

"Record Retreat Report: How hundreds of thousands fought road crime"

It's by Lukasz Marek Sielski, who runs the twitter account PhoneKills. It's a journey through the history of camera cyclists - a lot of interviews, with thoughtful observations about the UK, and comparisons with other countries along the way. Well written.

On those slightly obscure subjects I where I have explored rabbit holes about eg UK law, he seems to get the factual detail right.

The Kindle version on Amazon is here, where there are sample couple of chapters:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0D6DP9KHX
    edited August 5

TimS said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

well I havent see Chuckles Davey on my screen any night reecently despite the fact the biggest water co is about to go tits up.

Taking your point maybe it's just as simple as Farage is a better communicator than Davey/Cooper
    Davey just goofed around during the election campaign and acted the prat for the cameras and the press.

I think the media needs serious politicians now not clowns.

Perhaps they should ask Daisy Cooper ?

TimS said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

If the media won't put them on, they won't put them on. They don't say deranged things like Farage so don't get the attention, but you know they are actually working and doing their job. Short of them coming around and knocking on your door what do you expect?

Why do you need legal advice?

Stepping on twats comments is what comment moderators are for. OGH’s site, OGH’s rules.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,996

malcolmg said:

WillG said:

kyf_100 said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h

THis presumably?

None of that is true.

Is anyone selling tickets to watch? Could be fun!

Ok I can live with it.
    What about how Radiohead are rubbish and the magnificent joys of layered bacon, sweetcorn and pineapple on pizza?
    kjh said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

If the media won't put them on, they won't put them on. They don't say deranged things like Farage so don't get the attention, but you know they are actually working and doing their job. Short of them coming around and knocking on your door what do you expect?
    Yeah, youre just saying theyre shit.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,352

Stepping on twats comments is what comment moderators are for. OGH’s site, OGH’s rules.
    I was a little concerned by some of the comments in legal circles that said there is potentially a strict liability offence when it comes to this topic even if the person is posting in good faith.

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

Hang on a minute. I thought you blamed him for telling people that Brexit would cure all our problems? That’s a message of hope and optimism.
    Well both of us were crying over our beer at our loss of freedom of movement and trade opportunities, and bemoaning Farage's snake oil sales pitch, until you saw the light.

I had this sort of thing in mind.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13709759/Priti-Patel-blasts-Nigel-Farages-claim-two-tier-policing-Britain-Reform-UK-leader-continues-face-fierce-backlash-Southport-stabbing-remarks.html

Hell has indeed frozen over now I am agreeing with Priti Patel.

• ydoethur said:

Ok I can live with it.
    I'm mightily impressed with this government, so far.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Ok I can live with it.
    I demand a relentless focus on the failures of the French railway network

malcolmg said:

WillG said:

kyf_100 said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h

THis presumably?

None of that is true.

Is anyone selling tickets to watch? Could be fun!
    I’m thinking of a naval battle on the Thames. Paper boats, flamethrowers. The tide will sweep the remaining detritus out to sea….

Anyone interested in the TV rights?

I was a little concerned by some of the comments in legal circles that said there is potentially a strict liability offence when it comes to this topic even if the person is posting in good faith.
    Usual heavy Labour authoritarianism

nothing new
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Ok I can live with it.
    Did @Sunil_Prasannan just have a spontaneous org…shriek of joy?

Ok I can live with it.
    At this stage it is not so much a discussion as a tedious monologue.
    Taz said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

Davey just goofed around during the election campaign and acted the prat for the cameras and the press.

The media might need serious politicians not clowns, but they keep putting people like Farage, Tice, Jenrick and Braverman on the telly.

A basic Google would be enough to dispel this sort of lazy tabloid assumption about Davey. Here's just one illustration in the 1 month since the election https://x.com/EdwardJDavey/status/1816093976929173710

Which has resulted in a meeting and is something he will keep on pushing.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,333
    At the risk of coming off all Leon, I'm doubly pissed off, as my favourite coffee shop - along with most of the rest of the town centre - was shut for business from lunchtime onwards today because of rumoured unrest.

Good thinking there. Have you considered becoming a lawyer?
    Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Ok I can live with it.
    Consider yourself lucky they werent on strike

Leon said:

moonshine said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

I did have a discussion with @leon about actually doing stuff rather than moaning about it (during the European Football final) but he didn't take kindly to it. Seemed to think writing about stuff was the same as doing something about issues. It isn't.

nothing new
    Do you ever take lunch or a comfort break? The tedious posts appear relentless.
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Ok I can live with it.
    All please rise for the Holy Trinity

• DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,964

Leon said:

What experts?

Grammar is very odd. The rules are now taught in schools so children can parse sentences, but as an academic exercise. Children are not taught to speak grammatically correct English.
    Nigelb said:

At the risk of coming off all Leon, I'm doubly pissed off, as my favourite coffee shop - along with most of the rest of the town centre - was shut for business from lunchtime onwards today because of rumoured unrest.

wuss

you'd never have survived Belfast in the 70s
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,996

TimS said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

Or there’s always someone with a microphone following Farage around.

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Ok I can live with it.

All these people making deltic utterances.

TimS said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

Or there’s always someone with a microphone following Farage around.
    That's part of communication. Stay interesting.

ydoethur said:

Ok I can live with it.
    Then you’re easily impressed.

So far we’ve had the superficiality of Sunak married to the sanctimony of Brown.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,237
    Bangladesh — as a result of the riots the PM has resigned and fled the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/ckdgg87lnkdt
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,723
    The Newsagents with Emily Maitliss and Chris Patten about the Tory runners and riders is very funny. This seems truncated but still worth listening to

https://x.com/TheNewsAgents/status/1817949453929816355

Nunu5 said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

A stretch!
    Just my personal bugbear. Steve Martin and 'cleaning woman' type thing.
    edited August 5

Am I correct in assuming that reposting the vile dog-shite of Farage, the lad from Lewis or Tommy Ten-Names from Twitter X is also to be avoided too?
    TimS said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

The media might need serious politicians not clowns, but they keep putting people like Farage, Tice, Jenrick and Braverman on the telly.

A basic Google would be enough to dispel this sort of lazy tabloid assumption about Davey. Here's just one illustration in the 1 month since the election https://x.com/EdwardJDavey/status/1816093976929173710

Well he also had his rather hapless appearance at the Post Office Enquiry too.

So he is really making an impact.
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Ok I can live with it.
    Then you’re easily impressed.

So far we’ve had the superficiality of Sunak married to the sanctimony of Brown.
    They have had a stuttering start but I think Reeves did not do too badly, even if she was not totally honest about the so-called black hole.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,498
    TimS said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

There have been at least three AQs on R4 since the LibDems won 72 seats, and I haven’t heard one LibDem on the panel, yet.

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

The riots are a week old, in the prior 3 weeks I saw nothing for the LDs.
    Oh for god's sake this is ridiculous. How do you propose they achieve that? Storm the TV studios? What have you heard from Greens, Plaid, SNP, Alliance, Unionists and come to that Tories since the election on anything other than electing a new Tory leader. Zippo. The media isn't interested.
    edited August 5
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

ydoethur said:

Ok I can live with it.

All these people making deltic utterances.
    The crankshaft diagram, old version

ydoethur said:
    If it needs judges, it can't be a sport :smile: .
    edited August 5
    I recuse myself.

(I typed r e c u s e - why did this change to reject? Hmmm.)

(And the duplicate of my comment just vanished, which was why I recused this one. There's a ghost in the machine !)
    edited August 5

nothing new
    Do you ever take lunch or a comfort break? The tedious posts appear relentless.
    Im here regularly to depress you about the state of the idiots you have elected.

Even better since I'm one of the older posters it's deja vu all over again. I have a huge amount of recyclable material from the dying days of the last Labour government and all dates forwards.

Amazingly I can target the same prats who screwed it up the last time - Cooper, Miliband Reeves while also having fun with the Likes of Lammy a man who couldnt spell IQ.

So cheer up 5 years of this and not a Rishi helicopter joke in sight.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 9,971

malcolmg said:

WillG said:

kyf_100 said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h

THis presumably?

One of the many problems with malcolm's claim is its ignorance of the Sunni/Shia divide in Islam. The vast majority of Muslims in the UK are Sunni; Iran is Shia. Sunni Muslims do not generally want to turn anywhere into a fundamentalist Shiite state like Iran. It's a bit like claiming the problem with the DUP is that they want to turn the UK into the Vatican state. And most of the people in the UK who came from Iran don't want to turn the UK into Iran, because they came here explicitly to escape Iran in its current state!
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995
    edited August 5
    How does PB feel about a politician being interviewed on TV by their spouse?
    edited August 5
    One of the issues, and occasionally the joys, of transportation in France is the French habit of everyone doing the same thing at the same time. A sort of cultural conformity that can be bewildering to the individualist Anglo Saxons.

French holidaymakers seem to have embraced the idea of the Peloton. So on the roads and railways 90% of the time it's quiet and travel is a joy. But during the peak summer or winter holiday weekends when everyone all leaves or returns to Paris in one big blob, it's a nightmare. I've twice been caught out attempting to do the drive from Macon through Lyon to Provence on the day of the grand depart.

It's the same tendency that means restaurants are always either closed, or virtually empty, or fully booked.
This discussion has been closed.