Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

It’s the economy, stupid – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,074
    kjh said:

Leon said:

It’s time to officially despair

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment
    Give 3000% pay rises to all public sector workers
    Destroy the English education system
    Fail entirely on the boats
    Fail entirely on migration
    Bring in more hate speech legislation and online blah and infinite surveillance and all the rest
    Force us all to use pronouns
    Build ugly houses exactly where they are not needed
    Raise taxes on anyone who dares to work
    Actually torture people who start companies
    Do it all while sneering at us for being horrible British people

Fuck this. Time to go, lads

And to think you voted for this. Then again, what choice did you have?

The Tories did

Bankrupt the economy - record taxes in peacetime, an explosion in debt (state, personal, business) and no money left to build things or provide public services
    Cancel all investment - yep. Comedy NAO report into the cancellation of HS2a which confirms that no agency who knows what they were doing was consulted, and that once HS2 opens the government will need to price people off the rails as capacity will be lower than before it opened.
    3000% pay rise? Don't be silly
    Destroy the English education system. Well thats what happens when you cut money for front line services. Cash still available to line the pockets of execs running dodgy academy chains and free schools of course
    Fail entirely on the boats. Yep - an "invasion" according to the Home Secretary who watched them come and did nothing
    Fail entirely on migration - yep. The replacement Home Secretary rightly attacked the Rwanda policy before taking the job. Then tried to claim it was the opposite of what he said
    Bring in more hate speech legislation. Like the one passed just before the end of the parliament you mean?
    Force us all to use pronouns. Yep, I've filled in about 5 forms for things this morning and they all wanted my pronoun. And always did. And always will.
    Build ugly houses where they aren't needed. To be fair I'll give you that - the Tories built hardly any houses, hence the problems of today
    Actually torture people who start companies. Well as the director of 3 companies - one of which I incorporated last week - I am sad to report that I am not being tortured.
    All whilst sneering at us for being British. Like Patel and Braverman?

We can do this all day love.
    I notice now that the election is out of the way the LibDems arent so worried about water quality.
    How do you know that? Media is concerned with other things at the moment.
    The riots are a week old, in the prior 3 weeks I saw nothing for the LDs.
    Oh for god's sake this is ridiculous. How do you propose they achieve that? Storm the TV studios? What have you heard from Greens, Plaid, SNP, Alliance, Unionists and come to that Tories since the election on anything other than electing a new Tory leader. Zippo. The media isn't interested.
    Serious suggestion. Do a version of Cameron's Directs. Put Ed Davey up in front of a bunch of unelected people, at a local factory say. Q & A session, really talk through issues.

Put the videos on social media. Promote them as serious politics for serious people.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,619

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment
    Bring in more hate speech legislation and online blah and infinite surveillance and all the rest

The Tories did

Bankrupt the economy - record taxes in peacetime, an explosion in debt (state, personal, business) and no money left to build things or provide public services
    Cancel all investment - yep. Comedy NAO report into the cancellation of HS2a which confirms that no agency who knows what they were doing was consulted, and that once HS2 opens the government will need to price people off the rails as capacity will be lower than before it opened.
    Destroy the English education system. Well thats what happens when you cut money for front line services. Cash still available to line the pockets of execs running dodgy academy chains and free schools of course
    Fail entirely on the boats. Yep - an "invasion" according to the Home Secretary who watched them come and did nothing
    Fail entirely on migration - yep. The replacement Home Secretary rightly attacked the Rwanda policy before taking the job. Then tried to claim it was the opposite of what he said
    Bring in more hate speech legislation. Like the one passed just before the end of the parliament you mean?
    Force us all to use pronouns. Yep, I've filled in about 5 forms for things this morning and they all wanted my pronoun. And always did. And always will.
    Build ugly houses where they aren't needed. To be fair I'll give you that - the Tories built hardly any houses, hence the problems of today
    Actually torture people who start companies. Well as the director of 3 companies - one of which I incorporated last week - I am sad to report that I am not being tortured.

I notice now that the election is out of the way the LibDems arent so worried about water quality.
    You spent 3 weeks tossing yourself off over Rachel Reeves, I'm calling this as a 'you' problem.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,334
    tlg86 said:

How does PB feel about a politician being interviewed on TV by their spouse?

https://x.com/JohnTwelvetrees/status/1810405224055714050
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,125
    kjh said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

Oh for god's sake this is ridiculous. How do you propose they achieve that? Storm the TV studios? What have you heard from Greens, Plaid, SNP, Alliance, Unionists and come to that Tories since the election on anything other than electing a new Tory leader. Zippo. The media isn't interested.
    Theyre professional politicains with armies of Spads. They can set the agenda.

Our failiing chncellor could have raised the debate on Thamse but didnt because she was too busy making up nonsense of black holes.

To govern is to choose.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 9,971

Leon said:

“Ideas range from fewer tests and less emphasis on grammar to sex education reform and more children’s agency”

What experts?

No one has asked me but I guess they don’t think I am an expert.

If the above happens, schools in the UK are finished.

https://x.com/miss_snuffy/status/1820403741729640582?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

'Less emphasis on grammar'? Grammar isn't taught in schools at all is it? Or at least it weren't in my day.
    Didn't Gove bring in lots of focus on grammar?

(Obviously, Gove etc. aren't actually interested in grammar. They just have a vague nostalgia for old-fashioned teaching. They don't really want kids learning about the interesting bits of grammar, like evidential affixes or expletive infixation or grammatical gender.)
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,554
    edited August 5
    TimS said:

One of the issues, and occasionally the joys, of transportation in France is the French habit of everyone doing the same thing at the same time. A sort of cultural conformity that can be bewildering to the individualist Anglo Saxons.

French holidaymakers seem to have embraced the idea of the Peloton. So on the roads and railways 90% of the time it's quiet and travel is a joy. But during the peak summer or winter holiday weekends when everyone all leaves or returns to Paris in one big blob, it's a nightmare. I've twice been caught out attempting to do the drive from Macon through Lyon to Provence on the day of the grand depart.

It's the same tendency that means restaurants are always either closed, or virtually empty, or fully booked.

We were travelling to a wedding. Wifey thought she would have no problem getting tickets on the day - not realising it was the Grand Depart. Not a seat to be had. So it was just get on and take the consequences, or miss the wedding. We squatted in first and never got asked to show a ticket. Maybe the ticket collector had left for le holibobs too....
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,397
    tlg86 said:

Depends if someone's forgot to put the bins out that morning...
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,351
    tlg86 said:

If it is a light hearted interview then fine, if it is supposed to be a serious interview then I have my concerns.

We saw it with Philip Davies/Esther McVey and I think it will be an issue when Ed Balls interviews Yvette Cooper.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,480

tlg86 said:

If it is a light hearted interview then fine, if it is supposed to be a serious interview then I have my concerns.

We saw it with Philip Davies/Esther McVey and I think it will be an issue when Ed Balls interviews Yvette Cooper.
    ’Did you forget the turkey again darling?’
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,454
    tlg86 said:

An absolute load of Balls!

Leon said:

“Ideas range from fewer tests and less emphasis on grammar to sex education reform and more children’s agency”

What experts?

https://x.com/miss_snuffy/status/1820403741729640582?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw

'Less emphasis on grammar'? Grammar isn't taught in schools at all is it? Or at least it weren't in my day.

(Obviously, Gove etc. aren't actually interested in grammar. They just have a vague nostalgia for old-fashioned teaching. They don't really want kids learning about the interesting bits of grammar, like evidential affixes or expletive infixation or grammatical gender.)
    You’re right but there’s no need to be so accusative.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995
    Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

https://x.com/JohnTwelvetrees/status/1810405224055714050
    Lol, typical Left. Slag off their opponents until their own side do it and then say it's okay because their opponents do it.
    Tres said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

You spent 3 weeks tossing yourself off over Rachel Reeves, I'm calling this as a 'you' problem.
    LOL and how could I not ?

If Hunt had screwed up this bad you'd screaming form the roofs.

Rachel Reeves twinned with Liz Truss.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,554
    Andy_JS said:

Bangladesh — as a result of the riots the PM has resigned and fled the country.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/ckdgg87lnkdt

Giving Starmer ideas?
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,332

Nigelb said:

At the risk of coming off all Leon, I'm doubly pissed off, as my favourite coffee shop - along with most of the rest of the town centre - was shut for business from lunchtime onwards today because of rumoured unrest.

wuss

you'd never have survived Belfast in the 70s
    I spent a weekend there in July 1971, on holiday, with bombs going off. So that's objectively wrong.
    @AdamBienkov

A reminder that the last Conservative Government published a review just last year claiming that there had been "too much focus" on tackling threats from the far-right.

https://x.com/AdamBienkov/status/1820383078558150746
  • KnightOutKnightOut Posts: 109

One of the many problems with malcolm's claim is its ignorance of the Sunni/Shia divide in Islam. The vast majority of Muslims in the UK are Sunni; Iran is Shia. Sunni Muslims do not generally want to turn anywhere into a fundamentalist Shiite state like Iran. It's a bit like claiming the problem with the DUP is that they want to turn the UK into the Vatican state. And most of the people in the UK who came from Iran don't want to turn the UK into Iran, because they came here explicitly to escape Iran in its current state!

We haven't really heard much about the Sunni/Shia divide in the mainstream media since the late 1980s.

I suspect because it doesn't feed into the narrative of Guiltridden White British Slave-owning Oppressors vs Everybody Else.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,511
    edited August 5

kjh said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

Our failiing chncellor could have raised the debate on Thamse but didnt because she was too busy making up nonsense of black holes.

To govern is to choose.
    This makes no senses whatsoever. You were talking about the LDs not getting on the TV. How are we now talking about Labour. What has the chancellor, choosing to govern and army of spads got to do with the LDs.

This conversation is bonkers.

Having taken legal advice.

Anybody who seeks to glorify, excuse/condone etc the current riots will be banned from PB.

Anybody who posts locations of upcoming disorder will meet a similar fate.

These are in the first of a series of steps we are taking to protect PB.

Fine. But why specifically the 'current' riots? Is it more acceptable to condone the Duggan or BLM or Grenfell or any other riots?
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

To govern is to choose.
    This makes no senses whatsoever. You were talking about the LDs not getting on the TV. How are we now talking about Labour. What has the chancellors decisions on Thames water got to do with the LDs.

Im rather enjoting it myself.

But of ourse the spad meme and communcation apply to the LDs too, Where was Davey when the govt said it thaought TW could sort itself out ?

Nowhere.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

At the risk of coming off all Leon, I'm doubly pissed off, as my favourite coffee shop - along with most of the rest of the town centre - was shut for business from lunchtime onwards today because of rumoured unrest.

wuss

you'd never have survived Belfast in the 70s
    I spent a weekend there in July 1971, on holiday, with bombs going off. So that's objectively wrong.
    Na you didnt stick around for the fun
    kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

To govern is to choose.
    This makes no senses whatsoever. You were talking about the LDs not getting on the TV. How are we now talking about Labour. What has the chancellor, choosing to govern and army of spads got to do with the LDs.

I am rather looking forward to the next Conservative Government, when all this @Alanbrooke tedium stops.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,401

Anybody who seeks to glorify, excuse/condone etc the current riots will be banned from PB.

Why do you need legal advice?

Stepping on twats comments is what comment moderators are for. OGH’s site, OGH’s rules.
    I was a little concerned by some of the comments in legal circles that said there is potentially a strict liability offence when it comes to this topic even if the person is posting in good faith.
    Usual heavy Labour authoritarianism

nothing new
    Do you ever take lunch or a comfort break? The tedious posts appear relentless.
    Im here regularly to depress you about the state of the idiots you have elected.

Even better since I'm one of the older posters it's deja vu all over again. I have a huge amount of recyclable material from the dying days of the last Labour government and all dates forwards.

Amazingly I can target the same prats who screwed it up the last time - Cooper, Miliband Reeves while also having fun with the Likes of Lammy a man who couldnt spell IQ.

So cheer up 5 years of this and not a Rishi helicopter joke in sight.
    It is somewhat bizarre that the more partisan labour supporters here, after relentlessly bashing Tory govts seem a little miffed when Tory supporters do it when the boot is on the other foot.

what would they expect ?

malcolmg said:

WillG said:

kyf_100 said:

Taz said:

Carnyx said:

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h
    One of the most repulsive, inaccurate and frankly embarrassing headlines in the history of the Daily Telegraph. It has appalled many of its own journalists. It is beneath contempt.

Not seen the headline. What is it referring to?
    THis presumably?

https://www.tomorrowspapers.co.uk/
    But is it factually incorrect or not ?

I cannot believe anything it says on Twitter about this as there is so much disinformation around.
    The far right have largely clashed with the police and a bit with counter-protestors of no specific religion. I’m not aware of any clashes between the far right and Muslims, unless you count the far right dragging individuals out of cars and beating them up. There was a Muslim counter-protesting group in Bolton who clashed with police, but the police successfully kept them away from the far right protest. So, I’d say that headline is incorrect.
    Then you're not looking hard enough. There is plenty of video of armed and organised groups of men of Asian appearance meting out punishment beatings to men - clearly far right thugs based on their appearance and concealed faces - who have become separated from the wider racist mob.

I will not link to those videos as they are often accompanied by factually incorrect far right commentary. However they are very easy to find. For example, there is one of a large group of men administering a beatdown to a lone masked man in Parliament Road, Middlesborough. It's one of the most brutal things I've seen on a UK street.

In context, the far right had marched down that street earlier that day, set at least one car alight, and they deliberately marched there because it was in the vicinity of two Mosques. Something the avid far-right reposting of the video neglects to mention.

There are other similar videos if you look, and Alex Thomson of Channel 4 news described the situation in Middlesborough last night on TwiX as 'police playing cat and mouse with groups of whites and asians both looking for trouble'.

While I abhor and condemn all violence I also understand the point of view of the counter-protesters who were out last night issuing what we'll politely call street justice to any far right protesters they could find.

However I fear that we are now locked into a cycle of increasing violence - they beat yours up, then you beat theirs up, then they use that to justify a counter attack, and so forth. Until you end up with years or even decades of sectarian violence where nobody even remembers who started it, just their hatred for the other side.

The police need to come down hard on both groups, not just to avoid the cycle of violence from worsening, but also because many of those videos are incorrectly labeled as 'angry Muslim mob beat up innocent white man on the street' and are being pushed by popular far right accounts, stoking up further tension.
    There is a lot of people on here who are ideologically incapable of seeing the violence happening in both directions. Angry white people engaging in ethnic violence = horrible far right fascists that need to face the full force of the law. Angry Muslim people engaging in ethnic violence = doesn't exist/understandable/poor oppressed class that needs to be engaged with sensitively. It is the same reason all those white girls were blamed for their own rapes.
    Number of angry white people >> number of angry Muslim people. Events started by angry white people after an event involving 0 Muslims.

What happened in Rotherham does not justify your constant Islamophobia.
    England is absolutely knackered with Islamism and the demands of the portion of hardline nutters in it wanting to turn it into Iran or suchlike.
    None of that is true.

No, but it is highly convenient for certain groups to believe it to be so as it's grist to the mills of anyone who wants to be a part of backlash, the backlash against the backlash, the backlash against the backlash against the backlash, and so on.

Whether you're a Farage/Robinson type stirring up unrest, or a lawyer that benefits from opposing anything that might vaguely be construed as a breach of human rights, there's a slice of the disingenuous codependency pie for you.
    tlg86 said:

I don’t see why they can’t separate the professional from the personal

Ed Balls had the right hump a few months back when Quentin Letts mockingly referred to him as Mr Cooper. Rightly so, he can be professional and non partisan as an interviewer as he is regularly with many former labour colleagues.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,844
    edited August 5
    On topic: It's not just the stupid economy. For example, the issue of abortion is enormous in the US, now that regulation has been returned to the voters in the different states, from the court.

And, here's a puzzle that Matt Ridley was unable to solve in "The Rational Optimist".
    He was discussing whether being richer makes you happier, and mentions this exception to his argument that it does: "Moreover, surprisingly, American women have become less happy in recent decades despite getting richer." (p. 27)
    (The book was published in 2010.)

As far as I can tell, Ridley has no explanation of that exception, other than perhaps that Americans are weird.

I have an explanation for that exception, but should warn you that it is politically incorrect.

KnightOut said:

One of the many problems with malcolm's claim is its ignorance of the Sunni/Shia divide in Islam. The vast majority of Muslims in the UK are Sunni; Iran is Shia. Sunni Muslims do not generally want to turn anywhere into a fundamentalist Shiite state like Iran. It's a bit like claiming the problem with the DUP is that they want to turn the UK into the Vatican state. And most of the people in the UK who came from Iran don't want to turn the UK into Iran, because they came here explicitly to escape Iran in its current state!

We haven't really heard much about the Sunni/Shia divide in the mainstream media since the late 1980s.

I suspect because it doesn't feed into the narrative of Guiltridden White British Slave-owning Oppressors vs Everybody Else.
    One of the two main stories in the Middle East is about the tension between Iran and Saudi Arabia, which is a Shia/Sunni conflict. The civil war in Yemen is a proxy war between Saudi and Iran, between Sunni and Shia (Houthi). This is all over mainstream media. If you haven't noticed this, that's your problem.

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

To govern is to choose.
    This makes no senses whatsoever. You were talking about the LDs not getting on the TV. How are we now talking about Labour. What has the chancellors decisions on Thames water got to do with the LDs.

But of ourse the spad meme and communcation apply to the LDs too, Where was Davey when the govt said it thaought TW could sort itself out ?

Nowhere.
    No it doesn't. Most new LDs don't have offices or staff yet, let alone Spads. Chance would be a fine thing if the LDs were knee deep in Spads. And as Tim pointed out they are doing stuff re Thames Water. You just don't know about it because you haven't found out. Just because you don't know something doesn't mean it isn't happening, or do you think all the opposition MPs are all sitting on their arses doing nothing because there are no reports of any of them doing anything on the TV. The TV does not care about anything the opposition does immediately after an election except for leadership competitions. As I said, name anything you have heard about any opposition party since the election except for the Tory leadership. There is nothing.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,067
    Zharnel Hughes has pulled out of the men’s 200m with a tight hamstring.
    edited August 5

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

To govern is to choose.

I am rather looking forward to the next Conservative Government, when all this @Alanbrooke tedium stops.
    Do you think it is a ploy to make everyone vote Conservative to make it stop?
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,269
    Taz said:

tlg86 said:

Ed Balls had the right hump a few months back when Quentin Letts mockingly referred to him as Mr Cooper. Rightly so, he can be professional and non partisan as an interviewer as he is regularly with many former labour colleagues.
    I did not see the interview; did they announce the 'conflict of interest' at the start of the interview?

But if it strayed onto political matters (which I guess it did...) then it's not particularly a good look.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,397

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

I did not see the interview; did they announce the 'conflict of interest' at the start of the interview?

But if it strayed onto political matters (which I guess it did...) then it's not particularly a good look.
    An interesting point, my guess is most people likely don't realise Balls and Cooper are husband and wife with differing surnames and all even though everyone here knows and following on X knows without half a second's thought.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,113
    tlg86 said:

I'd be much more terrified of my wife interviewing me than some random journo!
  • LeonLeon Posts: 52,814
    Paris is quiet
    REALLY quiet
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,723
    TimS said:

Taz said:

TimS said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

Translation: “since the election I’ve stopped paying attention to what the Lib Dems are saying and doing, at least partly because despite their 72 seats they get about 1% of the media coverage afforded to Nigel Farage”.

In the real world the new influx of MPs have been banging on about water quality till the cows come home, and the party will be putting down an opposition day motion for a clean water bill this summer.
    well I havent see Chuckles Davey on my screen any night reecently despite the fact the biggest water co is about to go tits up.

Taking your point maybe it's just as simple as Farage is a better communicator than Davey/Cooper
    Davey just goofed around during the election campaign and acted the prat for the cameras and the press.

I think the media needs serious politicians now not clowns.

Perhaps they should ask Daisy Cooper ?
    The media might need serious politicians not clowns, but they keep putting people like Farage, Tice, Jenrick and Braverman on the telly.

A basic Google would be enough to dispel this sort of lazy tabloid assumption about Davey. Here's just one illustration in the 1 month since the election https://x.com/EdwardJDavey/status/1816093976929173710

Which has resulted in a meeting and is something he will keep on pushing.
    A campaign doesn't need to be serious to be effective. The most important thing is to get noticed and to be noticed for those things your target market likes/admires. I thought his campaign was excellent right from the word go. He was likeable he was a camera magnet and as it developed it became a clever way of developing his points. I did a PPB for Paddy Ashdown years ago and though it was powerful in itself looking back it wasn't the right message for them at that time
    Taz said:

Stepping on twats comments is what comment moderators are for. OGH’s site, OGH’s rules.
    I was a little concerned by some of the comments in legal circles that said there is potentially a strict liability offence when it comes to this topic even if the person is posting in good faith.

nothing new
    Im here regularly to depress you about the state of the idiots you have elected.

Even better since I'm one of the older posters it's deja vu all over again. I have a huge amount of recyclable material from the dying days of the last Labour government and all dates forwards.

Amazingly I can target the same prats who screwed it up the last time - Cooper, Miliband Reeves while also having fun with the Likes of Lammy a man who couldnt spell IQ.

It is somewhat bizarre that the more partisan labour supporters here, after relentlessly bashing Tory govts seem a little miffed when Tory supporters do it when the boot is on the other foot.

what would they expect ?
    Well I am not a Labour supporter. I never have been and probably never will be, being someone of quite liberal views both socially and financially. I have never voted Labour. Yet I am finding this relentless bashing somewhat silly. You will have 4 - 5 years of crap that will definitely happen. You will have ample opportunity to do your bashing. What is currently going on is just daft and contrived.
    It’s… too quiet. Paris. Too quiet

It’s like there’s something really major going on and people have run away
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,113
    My dream is to be so rich I can go around bullying my enemies with spurious lawsuits (see Maxwell, R; Trump. D; and increasingly Musk, E).

Taz said:

tlg86 said:

I Didn't see it either but it would have covered political matters from what social media said. I Don't know if they declared a conflict of interest.

I think you have to separate the professional from the personal but your point about declaring a conflict of interest is a fair one.

• FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,740
    I am surprised how little discussion there has been regarding the sad passing of Graham Thorpe. Only 55.
    Paris. Quiet
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,585
    Taz said:

nothing new

what would they expect ?
    The interesting thing is many of the current generation or regurgitation of anti-Labour posters didn't fall over themselves to defend the last Conservative Government. At least @HYUFD and a few others died in the ditch with Sunak and Hunt.

Some of the anti-Labour posters seem to have no other aganda than to be anti-Labour (they aren't pro-Conservative or pro-LD or even pro-Reform) just completely anti-Labour. Even if the new Government implemented Conservative policies, they'd probably be criticised.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,909

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

To govern is to choose.

Sadly for you and @Alanbrooke (?) that tedium could easily go on for another decade before the next Conservative government.
  • FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,740
    stodge said:

Taz said:

nothing new

what would they expect ?
    The interesting thing is many of the current generation or regurgitation of anti-Labour posters didn't fall over themselves to defend the last Conservative Government. At least @HYUFD and a few others died in the ditch with Sunak and Hunt.

Some of the anti-Labour posters seem to have no other aganda than to be anti-Labour (they aren't pro-Conservative or pro-LD or even pro-Reform) just completely anti-Labour. Even if the new Government implemented Conservative policies, they'd probably be criticised.
    Yes, it’s getting a bit wearing. Criticism without reasons is just negativity.
    stodge said:

Taz said:

nothing new

what would they expect ?

I think it is far too early to say either way if this labour govt is a dud. I hope it isn't. I voted for them with no enthusiasm or expectation aside from being more competent than the last lot. A low bar admittedly.

• JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,269
    Leon said:

Paris. Quiet

I met my Aussie ex in Edinburgh in 2000. The backpackers' hostel we met in had lots of Aussies in, most from Sydney, on holiday to escape the Olympics. The canny ones had rented out their houses for the duration, and were essentially getting a paid vacation.

(My ex was not one of them; she was working in the hostel.)

I am surprised how little discussion there has been regarding the sad passing of Graham Thorpe. Only 55.

Was mentioned briefly upthread. Very sad.
    kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

To govern is to choose.

Nowhere.
    No it doesn't. Most new LDs don't have offices or staff yet, let alone Spads. Chance would be a fine thing if the LDs were knee deep in Spads. And as Tim pointed out they are doing stuff re Thames Water. You just don't know about it because you haven't found out. Just because you don't know something doesn't mean it isn't happening, or do you think all the opposition MPs are all sitting on their arses doing nothing because there are no reports of any of them doing anything on the TV. The TV does not care about anything the opposition does immediately after an election except for leadership competitions. As I said, name anything you have heard about any opposition party since the election except for the Tory leadership. There is nothing.
    The Liberal Democrat Party has to adapt to a radically new political landscape. To increase the number of MPs (notionally) eight fold is or was astonishing but marked the culmination of years of hard work.

That change needs (and presumably is or will be) communciated out to the wider party. In the areas of strength, it will be about recruiting members, getting new activists and potentially new Council candidates while in the weaker areas it's getting the local organisations built up and moving forward to tackle the next big challenges, the 2025 counties, the 2026 London locals and the big round of English locals in 2027.

As you say, no one is listening to the opposition (especially so on here).
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,844
    edited August 5
    I glance through the Economist regularly, and seem to recall them recently arguing that world markets were too high, because of all the bad stuff happening in the world. (I think they are right, and that markets are especially vulnerable now because valuations seem a trifle high, by historical standards.)
    edited August 5

I glance through the Economist regularly, and seem to recall them recently arguing that world markets were too high, because of all the bad stuff happening in the world. (I think they are right, and that markets are especially vulnerable now because valuations seemed a trifle high.)

The boom in US markets has been driven overwhelming by 7 companies all in tech, not ideal if sentiment changes a bit for that sector.

Without going all Leon, ChatGPT has definitely got worse. I basically never use it now. Claude is far superior.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,513
    Roger said:

This rioting is being very heavily reported in the European press. It is making the UK look pretty disgusting. We're heading back to the days when we were the football hooligans no one wanted visiting their country.

Makes the French feel a bit better about their shittastic Olympics. Call it a public service if you will.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,995

Some pics from what was a very different time:

https://x.com/Streaky94/status/1820362976483787059
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,456
    Taz said:

Perhaps my favourite batsman ever. It's difficult to know what to say though as there are strong hints that perhaps it wasn't just natural circumstances. I think it was Gower on the radio this morning that indicated that.
    rcs1000 said:

My dream is to be so rich I can go around bullying my enemies with spurious lawsuits (see Maxwell, R; Trump. D; and increasingly Musk, E).

Why bother getting rich? Just get yourself a job at British Gas.
    edited August 5
    tlg86 said:

Some pics from what was a very different time:

https://x.com/Streaky94/status/1820362976483787059
    With social media these days, Thorpe would most likely been dropped from the team fairly sharpish for his colourful offpitch antics, given a 10 year old tweet will now get you banned.

Growing up, I loved watching Thorpe and Robin Smith in what was for the most part a poor England team.
    edited August 5
    stodge said:

Taz said:

nothing new

what would they expect ?

A propos from Conservative Home:

Do you miss us yet?

That might be a little presumptuous, a month after our party went down to its worst defeat in 300-odd years. But in the 32 days in which Keir Starmer has occupied Number 10, Labour have proved even more abysmal than I expected. My hopes of a Tory victory in 2029 have risen precipitously.

A tad over-optimistic? We do not yet know who our next leader will be. We still have three months of blame-shifting and name-calling to go. We remain hated and will be for a very long time. Starmer (well, Sue Gray) has that 170-seat (ish) majority to play with. Labour have five years to ban, build, and bully. If they so wished, they have a perfect opportunity to finish us off for good.

But come on. After one month under socialism, can anyone, except the most delusional Rest is Politics groupie, say that this government looks impressive? One doesn’t have to think the dying days of the Rishi Sunak Führerbunker were edifying to think life under Starmer is already worse

https://conservativehome.com/2024/08/05/do-you-miss-us-yet/
    edited August 5
    Omnium said:

Taz said:

Perhaps my favourite batsman ever. It's difficult to know what to say though as there are strong hints that perhaps it wasn't just natural circumstances. I think it was Gower on the radio this morning that indicated that.
    After cricket finished for several years his life bit the skids. But he managed to turn it around and was part of the England coaching team. I believe he got the Afghanistan coaching job but was reportedly taken very ill in 2022 and undergoing treatment and that was the last update.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,513
    MaxPB said:

Eabhal said:

Interesting that Priti Patel has come out strongly against Farage

She's not white and she's sane. She might want a reduction in immigration and to stop asylum seekers etc... like many of the people rioting but violence and burning down buildings isn't the way to do that and it puts everyone in danger.
    La Patel is doing well with this situation. First to ask Starmer to recall Parliament (regardless of whether you think it's a good idea) and now opening up some nice blue water between herself and Farage (they are friendly irl). She cannot be ruled out - my fave.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,723

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h
    One of the most repulsive, inaccurate and frankly embarrassing headlines in the history of the Daily Telegraph. It has appalled many of its own journalists. It is beneath contempt.

WOW! That truly must have been repulsive! The Telegraph is NOT a newspaper. It's an overbloated propaganda sheet and boring to boot
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,452
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

What experts?

Particularly with this gender stuff. Be fatal to Mr G's hopes in the Party if anyone dragged that into the school curriculum.

(Obvs it's there in Latin & Greek but only the gents do that anyway: like drinking laws and film regulation and so on.)
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,964
    Taz said:

Taz said:

That big black hole is now so bad Reeves is reversing 66000 civil service jobs cuts planned for this year

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/08/04/labour-drops-tory-plans-to-cut-civil-service-numbers/

It has been suggested she is going to give in to ASLEF pay demands as well which indicates the public sector and unions are heading for a considerable largesse that require billions of extra taxes
    We should not be surprised by this. Labour rewarding their client vote. The Tories did the same for years.

Won't the impact for the ASLEF increase be on ticket prices rather than taxes though ?

Not sure if they are all on the same "gold plated" pensions the saintly Junior Doctors are on with their 25% or so employer contribution.

Trouble with the junior doctors is they can work in Australia for shorter hours, double the money and half the paperwork. Canada too is sniffing around.
    Yet, by and large, they don't. We need to increase the number of training places for a start.
    Yes, we do. Agreed.
    Taz said:

stodge said:

Taz said:

nothing new

what would they expect ?

I think it is far too early to say either way if this labour govt is a dud. I hope it isn't. I voted for them with no enthusiasm or expectation aside from being more competent than the last lot. A low bar admittedly.

It's hard to judge after five weeks but some seem to have made up their mind after five minutes.

For example, there is resistance to the removel of the winter fuel allowance. I'm four years off the State pension - some of my friends are 18-24 months away and one is stomping around Facebook claiming she has "lost" £250.

How can you lose something when you never had it?

Answer - when you are feel you are somehow "entitled" to it. The sense of entitlement (probably quite "woke", whatever that means) is very strong. It's the same as if you back a horse, it passes the post first and is stood down by the stewards. You might think you have "lost" - yes, you have, but only your stake.

"Entitlement" and "fairness" run deep in the British psyche currently - perhaps they always have - perhaps they are part of our "British Christian values", I don't know.

Where Reeves did go wrong in my view was being disingenuous about the size of the hole in the public finances. We all know the party is over and we will all be paying more tax. Increasing basic tax to 25% takes us back to 1988 - the high point of Thatcherism. There'll be a lot of screaming, shouting and complaining but it won't be the end of civilisation as we know it (neither will property value taxation though land value taxation is better).

Starmer is getting the pain in first in the hope of being able to offer something more palatable from 2027 onwards. The Labour local Government base will take the hit in the short to medium term.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,732
    edited August 5
    stodge said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

kjh said:

Leon said:

Labour are going to

Bankrupt the economy
    Cancel all investment

The Tories did

To govern is to choose.

Im rather enjoying it myself.

Nowhere.
    The Liberal Democrat Party has to adapt to a radically new political landscape. To increase the number of MPs (notionally) eight fold is or was astonishing but marked the culmination of years of hard work.

That change needs (and presumably is or will be) communciated out to the wider party. In the areas of strength, it will be about recruiting members, getting new activists and potentially new Council candidates while in the weaker areas it's getting the local organisations built up and moving forward to tackle the next big challenges, the 2025 counties, the 2026 London locals and the big round of English locals in 2027.

As you say, no one is listening to the opposition (especially so on here).
    Some of us do, especially as LDs are where ideas will be coming from. Let's see how far they have got by post-Conference season.

Good conversation around riots, misinformation etc on the current Lib Dem podcast with the Leader of the Preston LibDems, the Leader of the Sheffield Lib Dems, and the Lord Mayor of Liverpool.
    https://youtu.be/mcZLqGelECM?t=13

And a couple of links highlighted.

Big EDL demonstration in Sheffield in 2013 against the creation of an entirely fictional mosque at Sheffield Lane End:
    https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/police-bill-for-edl-protest-over-nonexistent-sheffield-mosque-may-top-ps600000-1856856

(The game being played by some RefUK characters is blowing up a balloon that they want to exploit.)

EDL demo in Liverpool ~2017 where they were run out of town to Benny Hill music:
    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/edl-laughed-liverpool-benny-hill-13133627
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,074
    KnightOut said:

Fine. But why specifically the 'current' riots? Is it more acceptable to condone the Duggan or BLM or Grenfell or any other riots?
    Should we have PB riots? Angry demo outside the offices of polling companies that misuse subsamples and apostaphes?
    FF43 said:

stodge said:

Taz said:

nothing new

what would they expect ?

Do you miss us yet?

That might be a little presumptuous, a month after our party went down to its worst defeat in 300-odd years. But in the 32 days in which Keir Starmer has occupied Number 10, Labour have proved even more abysmal than I expected. My hopes of a Tory victory in 2029 have risen precipitously.

A tad over-optimistic? We do not yet know who our next leader will be. We still have three months of blame-shifting and name-calling to go. We remain hated and will be for a very long time. Starmer (well, Sue Gray) has that 170-seat (ish) majority to play with. Labour have five years to ban, build, and bully. If they so wished, they have a perfect opportunity to finish us off for good.

But come on. After one month under socialism, can anyone, except the most delusional Rest is Politics groupie, say that this government looks impressive? One doesn’t have to think the dying days of the Rishi Sunak Führerbunker were edifying to think life under Starmer is already worse

They would say that, wouldn't they?

Have we had "socialism" since July 5th? I hadn't noticed - indeed it's interesting to see Conservative voters have warmed to Starmer as Labour and LD voters have cooled. One might almost argue the Conservatives are still in power - just the names and faces have changed.

I suspect Starmer and Reeves don't "do" socialism. They probably don't know what it means - I'm not sure many do.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,075
    So who had “kayak cross” as a potential British medal?
    edited August 5
    stodge said:

Taz said:

stodge said:

Taz said:

nothing new

what would they expect ?

It's hard to judge after five weeks but some seem to have made up their mind after five minutes.

For example, there is resistance to the removel of the winter fuel allowance. I'm four years off the State pension - some of my friends are 18-24 months away and one is stomping around Facebook claiming she has "lost" £250.

How can you lose something when you never had it?

Answer - when you are feel you are somehow "entitled" to it. The sense of entitlement (probably quite "woke", whatever that means) is very strong. It's the same as if you back a horse, it passes the post first and is stood down by the stewards. You might think you have "lost" - yes, you have, but only your stake.

"Entitlement" and "fairness" run deep in the British psyche currently - perhaps they always have - perhaps they are part of our "British Christian values", I don't know.

Where Reeves did go wrong in my view was being disingenuous about the size of the hole in the public finances. We all know the party is over and we will all be paying more tax. Increasing basic tax to 25% takes us back to 1988 - the high point of Thatcherism. There'll be a lot of screaming, shouting and complaining but it won't be the end of civilisation as we know it (neither will property value taxation though land value taxation is better).

Starmer is getting the pain in first in the hope of being able to offer something more palatable from 2027 onwards. The Labour local Government base will take the hit in the short to medium term.
    I don't think COVID and energy payments heightened a sense of where is mine. Its tricky as for instance i don't think furlough was bad idea (it went on too long), but you did get the, well i worked the whole of covid vs somebody got 2 years furlough, now i want my bit off the government, what they are taking my winter fuel payment, fuckers, sort of attitude.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,891

ydoethur said:

So that basically means we are doomed to discuss just how crap this government is

Ok I can live with it.
    Can we continually discuss how crap all governments are?
    I'm mightily impressed with this government, so far.
    I expect government to be a bit crappy, so I'm not hard to please. For now I reserve judgement as its too early to be sure.
    Sandpit said:

Who even knew it was an Olympic sport....
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,758
    Roger said:

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h

WOW! That truly must have been repulsive! The Telegraph is NOT a newspaper. It's an overbloated propaganda sheet and boring to boot
    The simple question is why read it then ?

KnightOut said:

Should we have PB riots? Angry demo outside the offices of polling companies that misuse subsamples and apostaphes?
    ...or perhaps misspell apostrophe?
    kjh said:

Well I am not a Labour supporter. I never have been and probably never will be, being someone of quite liberal views both socially and financially. I have never voted Labour. Yet I am finding this relentless bashing somewhat silly. You will have 4 - 5 years of crap that will definitely happen. You will have ample opportunity to do your bashing. What is currently going on is just daft and contrived.

What a lot of commentators don't seem to get is that a substantial portion of the criticism of the last few years of nominally Conservative government wasn't because they weren't Labour. It's because they were too much *like* Labour.

The Punch and Judy show will continue as ever - because of blind tribalism as much as anything - but at the root of the criticism is similarity, not difference. Hence both sides are destined to always be right, to always be wrong AND to always be hypocritical.

Roger said:

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h

Especially as it is behind a paywall.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,131

Roger said:

This rioting is being very heavily reported in the European press. It is making the UK look pretty disgusting. We're heading back to the days when we were the football hooligans no one wanted visiting their country.

Makes the French feel a bit better about their shittastic Olympics. Call it a public service if you will.
    Really? Appears French don't give diddly squat how much of UK gets trashed by rabid UKers . . . and are feeling MUCH better about their _______ (fill in the blank according to taste) Olympics:

NYT - The Olympic Flame Melts Parisian Cool
    There are people walking around the world’s fashion capital with fluffy cockerels on their heads. This is not normal.

Félix Lebrun has the crowd eating out of the palm of his hand. He raises his arms. They cheer. He pumps his fists. They roar. He struts around the sold-out arena, prowling the floor, basking in the noise and the adulation.

In that moment, that first flush of victory, Lebrun is not a bespectacled 17-year-old table tennis player from Montpellier. For everyone present — up to and including the French former soccer hero Zinedine Zidane — he is a rock star.

This sort of thing has been happening a lot in Paris over the last week. At the fencing competition, held in the lavish surrounds of the Grand Palais, fans waving tricolors have produced enough noise to echo down the Champs-Élysées. The Stade de France shook when France’s men won gold in rugby sevens.

Each of Léon Marchand’s triumphs at the swimming pool has been greeted by unrestrained delirium, not just inside the arena at La Défense but across the city. The sound from the stadium at Invalides, home to archery, has been loud enough to wake Napoleon.

The test, for these Olympics, was always going to be whether Paris — a place that prizes chic and wears its aloofness as an impeccably accessorized badge of honor — would give itself over to the carnival spirit of the Games.

The answer, it turns out, is yes. . .
    edited August 5

KnightOut said:

I think some of us would already be on a watch list for that, if not already banged up ...
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 26,964
    edited August 5
    Leon said:

Paris is quiet

Yes, the BBC did a piece on this being the ideal time for a holiday in Paris. Unfortunately, PB's own travel correspondent completely missed the story, isolated in the French boondocks.

Whisper it, but is now a good time to holiday in Paris?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy7970gz3qro
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366
    I think it is about time we regulated Twitter in the UK:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-08-05/uk-says-musk-s-civil-war-is-inevitable-post-is-unjustified?leadSource=reddit_wall

The mindset should be that websites are either publishers or platforms. If they are publishers, they are liable for speech on them. If they are platforms they should be regulated for neutrality.
  • BlancheLivermoreBlancheLivermore Posts: 5,588

KnightOut said:

...or perhaps misspell apostrophe?
    I thought he'd misspelt apostates
    edited August 5

Leon said:

Paris is quiet

Yes, the BBC did a piece on this being the ideal time for a holiday in Paris. Unfortunately, PB's own travel correspondent completely missed the story, isolated in the French boondocks.

Whisper it, but is now a good time to holiday in Paris?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cy7970gz3qro
    ... deleted, so my reply deleted ...

Roger said:

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h

Especially as it is behind a paywall.
    Not a very effective one. Don't know if it's on the ankle-flashing principle, but it does not seem to resist a second or third try.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,075

Sandpit said:

Well we got a silver and a bronze in it!
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,732

David Yelland
    @davidyelland
    ·
    1h

My photo quota for the day, reporting the Telegraph front page:

• algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,972
    Goodwin's take. Worth a look. Some of his points are at risk of being ignored but sifting is required. The general point that 'riots are the voice of the unheard' remains generally true even though invariably riots are engaged in by the most unengaging people you can imagine. (Brixton, Toxteth, NI, 2011 etc).

https://www.mattgoodwin.org/p/no-this-is-not-just-far-right-thuggery?utm_campaign=email-half-post&r=1mnpci&utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

What experts?

Particularly with this gender stuff. Be fatal to Mr G's hopes in the Party if anyone dragged that into the school curriculum.

(Obvs it's there in Latin & Greek but only the gents do that anyway: like drinking laws and film regulation and so on.)
    It's a good example of nominative determinism.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,496
    edited August 5

KnightOut said:

What do we want? STV!
    When do we want it? After the reallocation of surplus votes!
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,801
    edited August 5
    Something weird has happened with twitter where a search for a word or phrase - eg "COBRA" - also brings up tweets that are associated with the same topic even if they don't contain that text.

It's really annoying. And I think being done to push an agenda - this us the first tweet that pops up when I searched that:

https://x.com/alexharmstrong/status/1820003640746119528?t=1ms_-cDc8bNauuDNONQlCg&s=19. - no COBRA in there
    Sandpit said:

Everybody

I think both competitors are current World No 1

Sandpit said:

We will all now take a rapid interest in it.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,351

NEW THREAD

KnightOut said:

What do we want? STV!
    When do we want it? After the reallocation of suplus votes!
    In the LibDems, we learn...

What do we want? Gradual change!
    When do we want it? In due course!
  • EabhalEabhal Posts: 7,801
    Eabhal said:

Something weird has happened with twitter where a search for a word or phrase - eg "COBRA" - also brings up tweets that are associated with the same topic even if they don't contain that text.

It's really annoying. And I think being done to push an agenda - this us the first tweet that pops up when I searched that:

https://x.com/alexharmstrong/status/1820003640746119528?t=1ms_-cDc8bNauuDNONQlCg&s=19. - no COBRA in there

I tried parenthesis and got: https://x.com/Nigel_Farage/status/1820347660538204565?t=Gh5lXAggl8ptjPb-fVHM5A&s=19

There is a lot of paranoia about Musk but this looks deliberate to me
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,237
    WillG said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-08-05/uk-says-musk-s-civil-war-is-inevitable-post-is-unjustified?leadSource=reddit_wall

The mindset should be that websites are either publishers or platforms. If they are publishers, they are liable for speech on them. If they are platforms they should be regulated for neutrality.

One person's neutrality is another person's partisanship.
    stodge said:

FF43 said:

stodge said:

Taz said:

nothing new

what would they expect ?

Do you miss us yet?

They would say that, wouldn't they?

Have we had "socialism" since July 5th? I hadn't noticed - indeed it's interesting to see Conservative voters have warmed to Starmer as Labour and LD voters have cooled. One might almost argue the Conservatives are still in power - just the names and faces have changed.

I suspect Starmer and Reeves don't "do" socialism. They probably don't know what it means - I'm not sure many do.
    I'm not sure I agree with this. I think Starmer is relatively left wing - certainly compared with Blair - albeit with a strong law and order bent. I am not surprised the hedge fund capitalist types who have held roost in the Conservative Party in the past couple of decades don't like the new government.

I do however think there is a seriousness and general competence in the new government that went missing in the Conservatives after the Brexit vote.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,111
    Taz said:

stodge said:

Taz said:

nothing new

what would they expect ?

Perhaps this is it. Perhaps the posters who are getting extremely down on this Labour government so soon after the GE are those who had really high expectations of it. Eg I know this is true for AlanBrooke.

Leon said:

What experts?

Is "expletive infixation" a fricking condition frequently inflicting foul-mouthed freaking PBers?
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,841
    Andy_JS said:

WillG said:

One person's neutrality is another person's partisanship.
    Musk is very far from any kind of neutrality, these days, endorsing Trump, and almost willing the UK into Aner6can-style polarisation, and chaos.

Ban people like Lawrence Fox and Tommy Robinson, and regulate.

KnightOut said:

PB demo in "Trafalgar" Square?
This discussion has been closed.