Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The revenge of the cat ladies? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited August 4 in General
imageThe revenge of the cat ladies? – politicalbetting.com

Presidential Polling Among Suburban Women:Current Poll:Harris: 52%Trump: 40%Last Biden Poll:Biden: 44%Trump: 41%HarrisX / July 25, 2024 / n=3013 pic.twitter.com/3W45hkb6xg

Read the full story here

Comments

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,228
    I think TSE has this spot on: what appeared to be a foregone conclusion is now a competitive race.

I would make Trump favourite still, but only a narrow one.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Poor security let hackers access 40 million voters' details
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c724e12zpndo

TL;DR Electoral Commission hacked for over a year by official Chinese spies.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    Harris is still value I think.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,448
    edited July 30
    rcs1000 said:

I think TSE has this spot on: what appeared to be a foregone conclusion is now a competitive race.

I would make Harris favourite.

She has the big mo and its going to take a turnaround for Trump to win it now.

Quite possible for Trump to win it, but I think the odds on Trump and Harris should be reversed. Which makes Harris huge value.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517

I am so happy the Tory leadership contest concludes with an online vote of Tory members.
  • eekeek Posts: 27,481

I am so happy the Tory leadership contest concludes with an online vote of Tory members.
    So that's how Truss got elected...
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520

rcs1000 said:

Quite possible for Trump to win it, but I think the odds on Trump and Harris should be reversed. Which makes Harris huge value.
    Hmm… the polling data is still a little too mixed for me to make that assessment. But I have it much more as a 50/50 shout than a 60/40 one.

I may be prepared to share your view if she lands the VP choice well and gets a convention bounce.
  • ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

FF43 said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

The new government will never have more goodwill than they do now, a month into a large majority.

Yet they’ve actually been very timid with the annoucements, and made some basic errors such as cancelling infrastructure projects to pay for current spending, especially their old friends in the public sector unions.

The 22% raise for those who already earn well above average wage comes across as particularly egregious, and will no doubt inspire other unions to ask for the same. A 22% offer that’s been described as derisory by the union involved, the leader of which does his best to come across as Arthur Scargill with a stethoscope.

It's a curious set of infrastructure projects that have been cancelled because most of them were pie in sky crap (the restoring your railway ones) or could be argued to be ongoing expenditure (is it really investment if you are replacing an existing hospital)...

You then have the very contentious A303 Stonehenge tunnel and an A27 scheme which the locals seem to actively hate...

So I see a couple of political point scoring victories (A303,A27) hidden in the cost cutting there, a pile of populist crap (the restoring railways "projects") and a question over what is investment..
    I don’t know about the A27, but the A303 has been top of the agenda for at least three decades now, and the HS2 link to Euston leaves a white elephant of a line that no-one actually going to London is going to use except with promotional fares, and adds more human congestion to the reduced number of trains on the legacy main lines. The Thames crossing has already spend a quarter of a billion on paperwork, and don’t start me on Heathrow’s third runway.

All of these should have been done a long, long time ago, and it’s disappointing to see a new government kick the can just as the last one did. And the one before that.
    Heathrow's third runway isn't a money issue - that would be paid for by Heathrow.

As for HS2 - my opinion is that once it was designed it should have been built as is - but Euston should be being advertised as the 2/3 different projects it is so that people know where the money is going...
    I'm less concerned about delaying the final part to Euston (a) because I think they will do it eventually and (b) it doesn't invalidate the rest of the line.

Much play is made that people don't want to journey to Old Oak Common. But they mostly don't want to go to Euston either. Almost everyone wants to go to a station in London and from there take local transport to their final destination. Old Oak Common fulfills that role as does Euston. A third of passengers would choose to get off at Old Oak Common anyway, it's marginal for many of the rest and almost everyone will make the trip to Old Oak Common if that's where the station is. The main effect is to overload the Elizabeth Line.

I'm a lot more concerned about the section to Crewe. If you don't put the capacity in to a similar specification as the southern part, it undermines the whole project.
    edit - you already made both my points further down..

Isn't the Birmingham to Crewe bit the most economically viable part of the entire project?

After that I thought it was the HSb (Eastern Leg) and then the bit to Manchester?
    Mm - define 'economically viable'.

Birmingham to Crewe is certainly the least costly. But I'd say 'economically viable' would be your balance of costs and benefits. So:
    a) what benefits does the economic case of the business case say it delivers?
    b) does it deliver those if the other sections are not delivered?
    c) what about the other non-quantified benefits (which are in all likelihood greater than those which have been quantified) - e.g. regeneration benefits, e.g. capacity relief, e.g. sections which deliver parts of other proposed investments?

Answer: it's complicated!

Its not that complicated.

If they don't build phase 2a to Crewe, six tracks (four Trent Valley and Two HS2) will converge on un grade separated Colwich Junction and two track Shugborough Tunnel.

It's a total clusterfuck. That is such a pinchpoint that an upgrade to bypass it all was already planned before being canned when HS2 came along.
    Er, the Stone avoiding line diverges *before* Shugborough Tunnel. So it's four lines, not two, that operate there.

It would still be a pinch point but not quite as bad a one as you think.
    Colwich is where the line to stoke on trent goes of and the WCML goes down to 2 track north of it through Shugborough Tunnel.

All it carries is two of the Euston to Manchesters per hour (down trains thereof also conflict with up trains from Stafford at Colwich).

If the "stone avoiding line" had a route back to the West Coast Main Line north of Stafford, you might have a point, but it dosent south of Crewe. Although the Stoke to Crewe Line being electrified in the last few years helps.
    It carries far more than 2tph at peak periods. More like 8 (or four each way).

Also, if there were no crossover at Stone it couldn't carry trains to Stoke.

I agree it would be better if it were grade separated, but your earlier claim of 'six tracks going down to two tracks' was simply daft.
    Eh?

You can't go Colwich - Stone Avoiding line - back to WCML (before Crewe and slowly at any rate)

It is basically a branch.

The WCML is four track, then two HS2 tracks will join it a few miles before it becomes 2 track through Shugborough Tunnel.

As to 4TPH in the peak service, to Stoke avoiding Stafford is still 2PH (3 tph from Manchester to Euton, but one goes via Wilmslow and Crewe).

There is an extra Manchester to Euston via Stoke in the morning peak, but that goes via Stafford and Birmingham, same as all the Crosscountries (as did the London Midland Euston to Crewe via Stafford and Stoke before they decided to bypass Stoke and send it fast from Stafford to Crewe).
  • pm215pm215 Posts: 1,091
    edited July 30

If it's official Chinese spies, what's up with the "spam emails were being sent from the commission's own email server" detail? Random second set of hackers who triggered a closer look and detection of the spies? A bit of freelance making money on the side by one of the spooks? China more interested in sowing unrest than in the actual data and access and so actively wanting discovery (though perhaps not to be fingered as the culprits)? For a state sponsored actor to be setting off "bad stuff going on here" flares like that is a bit out of character.
    eek said:

That was a postal vote.

This election is the first online election.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 25,206

Rayner in charge of housebuilding says she'll sock it to councils

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/30/politics-latest-news-rachel-reeves-angela-rayner/

one to watch
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Cookie said:

eek said:

FF43 said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

eek said:

Sandpit said:

The new government will never have more goodwill than they do now, a month into a large majority.

Yet they’ve actually been very timid with the annoucements, and made some basic errors such as cancelling infrastructure projects to pay for current spending, especially their old friends in the public sector unions.

The 22% raise for those who already earn well above average wage comes across as particularly egregious, and will no doubt inspire other unions to ask for the same. A 22% offer that’s been described as derisory by the union involved, the leader of which does his best to come across as Arthur Scargill with a stethoscope.

It's a curious set of infrastructure projects that have been cancelled because most of them were pie in sky crap (the restoring your railway ones) or could be argued to be ongoing expenditure (is it really investment if you are replacing an existing hospital)...

You then have the very contentious A303 Stonehenge tunnel and an A27 scheme which the locals seem to actively hate...

So I see a couple of political point scoring victories (A303,A27) hidden in the cost cutting there, a pile of populist crap (the restoring railways "projects") and a question over what is investment..
    I don’t know about the A27, but the A303 has been top of the agenda for at least three decades now, and the HS2 link to Euston leaves a white elephant of a line that no-one actually going to London is going to use except with promotional fares, and adds more human congestion to the reduced number of trains on the legacy main lines. The Thames crossing has already spend a quarter of a billion on paperwork, and don’t start me on Heathrow’s third runway.

All of these should have been done a long, long time ago, and it’s disappointing to see a new government kick the can just as the last one did. And the one before that.
    Heathrow's third runway isn't a money issue - that would be paid for by Heathrow.

As for HS2 - my opinion is that once it was designed it should have been built as is - but Euston should be being advertised as the 2/3 different projects it is so that people know where the money is going...
    I'm less concerned about delaying the final part to Euston (a) because I think they will do it eventually and (b) it doesn't invalidate the rest of the line.

Much play is made that people don't want to journey to Old Oak Common. But they mostly don't want to go to Euston either. Almost everyone wants to go to a station in London and from there take local transport to their final destination. Old Oak Common fulfills that role as does Euston. A third of passengers would choose to get off at Old Oak Common anyway, it's marginal for many of the rest and almost everyone will make the trip to Old Oak Common if that's where the station is. The main effect is to overload the Elizabeth Line.

I'm a lot more concerned about the section to Crewe. If you don't put the capacity in to a similar specification as the southern part, it undermines the whole project.
    edit - you already made both my points further down..

Isn't the Birmingham to Crewe bit the most economically viable part of the entire project?

After that I thought it was the HSb (Eastern Leg) and then the bit to Manchester?
    Mm - define 'economically viable'.

Birmingham to Crewe is certainly the least costly. But I'd say 'economically viable' would be your balance of costs and benefits. So:
    a) what benefits does the economic case of the business case say it delivers?
    b) does it deliver those if the other sections are not delivered?
    c) what about the other non-quantified benefits (which are in all likelihood greater than those which have been quantified) - e.g. regeneration benefits, e.g. capacity relief, e.g. sections which deliver parts of other proposed investments?

Answer: it's complicated!

Its not that complicated.

If they don't build phase 2a to Crewe, six tracks (four Trent Valley and Two HS2) will converge on un grade separated Colwich Junction and two track Shugborough Tunnel.

It's a total clusterfuck. That is such a pinchpoint that an upgrade to bypass it all was already planned before being canned when HS2 came along.
    Er, the Stone avoiding line diverges *before* Shugborough Tunnel. So it's four lines, not two, that operate there.

It would still be a pinch point but not quite as bad a one as you think.
    Colwich is where the line to stoke on trent goes of and the WCML goes down to 2 track north of it through Shugborough Tunnel.

All it carries is two of the Euston to Manchesters per hour (down trains thereof also conflict with up trains from Stafford at Colwich).

If the "stone avoiding line" had a route back to the West Coast Main Line north of Stafford, you might have a point, but it dosent south of Crewe. Although the Stoke to Crewe Line being electrified in the last few years helps.
    It carries far more than 2tph at peak periods. More like 8 (or four each way).

Also, if there were no crossover at Stone it couldn't carry trains to Stoke.

I agree it would be better if it were grade separated, but your earlier claim of 'six tracks going down to two tracks' was simply daft.
    Eh?

You can't go Colwich - Stone Avoiding line - back to WCML (before Crewe and slowly at any rate)

It is basically a branch.

The WCML is four track, then two HS2 tracks will join it a few miles before it becomes 2 track through Shugborough Tunnel.

As to 4TPH in the peak service, to Stoke avoiding Stafford is still 2PH (3 tph from Manchester to Euton, but one goes via Wilmslow and Crewe).

There is an extra Manchester to Euston via Stoke in the morning peak, but that goes via Stafford and Birmingham, same as all the Crosscountries (as did the London Midland Euston to Crewe via Stafford and Stoke before they decided to bypass Stoke and send it fast from Stafford to Crewe).
    Did Mangapps Railway Museum (and the mile or so train ride therein) on Sunday :)

rcs1000 said:

Hmm… the polling data is still a little too mixed for me to make that assessment. But I have it much more as a 50/50 shout than a 60/40 one.

I may be prepared to share your view if she lands the VP choice well and gets a convention bounce.
    Well yes in my thinking I'm considering the fact that Trump has already shot his convention with the Vance pick, while Kamala still has hers to come.

Trump's own goal in selecting Vance didn't matter when Biden was his opponent, but now? Kamala has both the big mo and more upcoming opportunities than her opponent.

By the end of the convention bounce the odds will probably be the inverse of what they are today, which makes Kamala huge value today.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/07/30/politics-latest-news-rachel-reeves-angela-rayner/

one to watch

She said that in future all councils will be required to draw up such a plan, showing where they are going to put the houses to meet their annual target.

Those that refuse to do so will be effectively stripped of their planning powers and will have a housing plan imposed on them from Whitehall, she added.

Good step in the right direction! Councils should have no power over planning.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462

rcs1000 said:

The ways Trump can be attacked are manyfold: on reproductive rights, for one thing. But I think the GOP/Trump campaign are going to find it hard to find a cohesive and persuasive argument against Harris - at least where 'persuasive' is to anyone who isn't already MAGA.
  • spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,450
    rcs1000 said:

that's what it looks like at the moment. I think it's still too early to make firm conclusions. it won't all settle down until a couple of weeks after the DNC, probably September.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

one to watch

LOL, that will last until the first Labour councils get voted out by the NIMBYs.

Building sh!tloads more houses requires both a whole load of new primary legislation, and the repealing of a whole load more.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,866

one to watch

She said that in future all councils will be required to draw up such a plan, showing where they are going to put the houses to meet their annual target.

Those that refuse to do so will be effectively stripped of their planning powers and will have a housing plan imposed on them from Whitehall, she added.

First step on the road to fascism.

one to watch

LOL yes the man in an office 200 miles away who has never visited your town has a better feel for local conditions,

one to watch

LOL yes the man in an office 200 miles away who has never visited your town has a better feel for local conditions,
    No, the person who owns the land has a better feel for what should happen with their own land.

Curtain twitching nobodies should have no say.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196

one to watch

Hyperbole much?

rcs1000 said:

The ways Trump can be attacked are manyfold: on reproductive rights, for one thing. But I think the GOP/Trump campaign are going to find it hard to find a cohesive and persuasive argument against Harris - at least where 'persuasive' is to anyone who isn't already MAGA.
    The only thing she’s been tasked to do for the past three years, was to sort out the border crisis. How’s that going?
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

The only thing she’s been tasked to do for the past three years, was to sort out the border crisis. How’s that going?
    After years of the numbers surging upwards annually, they've now peaked and are starting to come back down again.

Not that I expect she'll get much credit for that.

eek said:

That was a postal vote.

This election is the first online election.
    I've already arranged for a chap in Beijing to submit 5,000 votes for Priti on my behalf.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    FPT. Dethreaded by the Benevolent Despot.

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

Solar power generating 30% of energy, the highest I've seen so far.

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk

That's just incredible.
    OK, it's early afternoon on a sunny day in mid-July.
    But if you'd shown that stat to someone 30 years ago it would have seemed the stuff of fantasy. Even 10 years ago it would have been wildly improbable.

The even better thing is that we are nowhere close to the peak of what we could easily be generating with solar. The number of houses with solar panels is, what, about 10%? (Wildly unscientific survey based on a look out of the window). I salivate to think what this figure will be in a decade's time.
    I was told on PB that this was ridiculous a while back.
    The addition of cheaper coupled battery storage - which is inevitable within a year or three - will increase take up massively.
    The cheap mass battery storage always seems to be a year or three away, like Thorium Reactors and Fusion.
    Cheap mass battery storage is here today, and its getting cheaper every year.
    Yes but, to take our house as an example:

We generated c.4,200kWh in 2023 off our 4kW array.
    We used 2,700kWh of that and sent the other 1,500kWh to the grid.
    However we also imported 9,500kWh from the grid.

So our total use was 12,200kWh (we're all electric, no other heating).

If we tripled the size of our array (easily doable) we would generate all our annual needs but we would need about 10gWh (10,000kWh) of battery storage to store the summer electricity to meet our winter demand.

That's a lot of batteries - $500k at projected costs of $50k per kWh?
    Storing from summer to winter is never going to be viable, or realistic.

Storing from day to night certainly can be.

Especially adding if you work away from home then night will be both when you use the electricity, run your washing machine/dryer etc, and plug in your car etc

Currently those who are away from home during the day don't gain much from solar EV, unless they can add a battery in which case it is transformative.
    Never say never. There's no physics reason why it is not possible, we just haven't found it yet.

(In fact it's possible now ofc but not very efficiently. We could use the summer electricity to split water, then generate electricity from the hydrogen in the winter.)
    Gravity storage, e.g. pumping water uphill, is known technology that works well. You can pump water uphill in the summer and use it to generate electricity in winter. We tend to use stored power like that on shorter cycles at present, but it can also work as long-term storage.
    The problem is capital cost to benefit ratio for a setup used on slow cycles, and because there's maintenance etc.

If you need to store 10,000 kWh of energy in a reservoir for one house, you need a lorra-lorra water and a lorra-lorra gubbins for each house, eg It helps to happen to own a reservoir (techncially 2 reservoirs).

I'm too lazy to run the numbers on a day like this.

But roughly, consider an Olympic swimming pool 50m x 20m x 2m deep (this is Paris); that is 2000 cubic m of water. Put it 10m in the air, say on your roof.

Potential energy (Ug) = m.g.h

Here m = 2,000 tonnes. h = 10m, g = 9.8 m/s/s.

So potential energy = 196,000 kJ.

I make that 54kWh.

So unless I have a decimal point or something else wrong, which is very possible, I make it you need 10000/54 = 185 Olympic swimming pools of water raised through 10m.

Plenty of other factors apply - eg the round-trip efficiency will be ~2/3, you may not need the full storage number due to peak-trough (but I did not say you would).

But it is a lot of water to be moved around.

Gold for Britain in the men's trap shooting.

Sport, my arse.
  • SelebianSelebian Posts: 8,380
    edited July 30
    Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Um...

"Border crossings fall to their lowest monthly number of the Biden presidency" - NBC News
    "Migrant crossings continue to plunge, nearing the level that would lift Biden's border crackdown" - CBS News

Above from a quick Google, with several similar. You can find older articles about crossing being high, of course. But it does look like there's some success now. It's not the attack line it once might have been.
    Merseyside Police have warned that the name of the alleged Southport knifeman circulating on social media is wrong.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/30/merseyside-police-southport-suspect-name-online-wrong/

one to watch

Hyperbole much?
    First baby step on the road to fascism.

Is that better?

one to watch

Hyperbole much?
    Hyperbole Much sounds like a private investigator who could belong in the Knives Out series of films.

one to watch

No, the person who owns the land has a better feel for what should happen with their own land.

Curtain twitching nobodies should have no say.
    Of course, but that's not what Rayner is proposing , it's Stankhovite targets all round

Two Crawleys coming up.

one to watch

Hyperbole much?
    First baby step on the road to fascism.

Is that better?
    No.

Fascism has nothing to do with allowing people to build a home of their own.

Indeed allowing people to do what they want is liberalism, rather the opposite of fascism!
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    rcs1000 said:

I price it 60/40 Harris. The exact opposite of the current betting.
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910

Sport, my arse.
    How do you define a sport?
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited July 30

one to watch

She's got the right target to clear blockages - going over the heads of Councils behaving like William Brown on the way to the bathtub.

The next questions are what timings, what resource, and what enforcement process.

The shreiking noise will be arriving from Orange County real soon now ...

• FossFoss Posts: 894
    edited July 30
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

That's just incredible.
    But if you'd shown that stat to someone 30 years ago it would have seemed the stuff of fantasy. Even 10 years ago it would have been wildly improbable.

The even better thing is that we are nowhere close to the peak of what we could easily be generating with solar. The number of houses with solar panels is, what, about 10%? (Wildly unscientific survey based on a look out of the window). I salivate to think what this figure will be in a decade's time.
    The addition of cheaper coupled battery storage - which is inevitable within a year or three - will increase take up massively.
    The cheap mass battery storage always seems to be a year or three away, like Thorium Reactors and Fusion.

If we tripled the size of our array (easily doable) we would generate all our annual needs but we would need about 10gWh (10,000kWh) of battery storage to store the summer electricity to meet our winter demand.

Especially adding if you work away from home then night will be both when you use the electricity, run your washing machine/dryer etc, and plug in your car etc

Currently those who are away from home during the day don't gain much from solar EV, unless they can add a battery in which case it is transformative.
    Never say never. There's no physics reason why it is not possible, we just haven't found it yet.

(In fact it's possible now ofc but not very efficiently. We could use the summer electricity to split water, then generate electricity from the hydrogen in the winter.)
    Gravity storage, e.g. pumping water uphill, is known technology that works well. You can pump water uphill in the summer and use it to generate electricity in winter. We tend to use stored power like that on shorter cycles at present, but it can also work as long-term storage.
    The problem is capital cost to benefit ratio for a setup used on slow cycles, and because there's maintenance etc.

If you need to store 10,000 kWh of energy in a reservoir for one house, you need a lorra-lorra water and a lorra-lorra gubbins for each house, eg It helps to happen to own a reservoir (techncially 2 reservoirs).

But roughly, consider an Olympic swimming pool 50m x 20m x 2m deep (this is Paris); that is 2000 cubic m of water. Put it 10m in the air, say on your roof.

I make that 54kWh.

So unless I have a decimal point or something else wrong, which is very possible, I make it you need 10000/54 = 185 Olympic swimming pools of water raised through 10m.

Plenty of other factors apply - eg the round-trip efficiency will be ~2/3, you may not need the full storage number due to peak-trough (but I did not say you would).

At one point there was talk of using old gas fields for hydrogen storage. That feels nicely discreet and, with the amount of gas we’ve extracted, like something that could be used to build a nice big buffer. Plus it might give Aberdeen something to do.

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

After years of the numbers surging upwards annually, they've now peaked and are starting to come back down again.

Not that I expect she'll get much credit for that.
    To be fair, having tried to distance Harris from being 'immigration czar' the Dems will find it harder to credit her with the recent improvements!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    edited July 30
    Sandpit said:

one to watch

LOL, that will last until the first Labour councils get voted out by the NIMBYs.

Building sh!tloads more houses requires both a whole load of new primary legislation, and the repealing of a whole load more.
    A council league table would be useful.

Council - Target - Starts - Completions - & the important one: % completions to target.

I think, judging by the new estates near me Bassetlaw is probably doing it's bit.

It'd be interesting to see where the worst offenders for housebuilding are. Any guesses ?
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,196

Sport, my arse.
    Have I got a book for you!

edited July 30
    Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Um...

"Border crossings fall to their lowest monthly number of the Biden presidency" - NBC News
    "Migrant crossings continue to plunge, nearing the level that would lift Biden's border crackdown" - CBS News

Above from a quick Google, with several similar. You can find older articles about crossing being high, of course. But it does look like there's some success now. It's not the attack line it once might have been.
    Yes, but it’s like saying inflation was 10% last year, and is only 8% this year - yay how good are we? - when all everyone sees is prices going up faster than wages. The numbers actually crossing are still historically high.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    The PO inquiry has concluded for the summer. Back on around 23rd September.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dnb1EtMGB8Y

Sport, my arse.
    Guns are not evil. I used t love shooting at school, and have never aimed a gun at a living (or dead) creature.

Trap or target shooting is a sport; it is about precision, timing and skill. If table tennis is a sport, so is shooting.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516
    edited July 30

Sport, my arse.
    When your choice of drug is Steroids and not Beta-blockers?

Sport, my arse.
    If you can smoke a fag at the same time, it isn't sport.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240

one to watch

You won't be happy until every acre of England is covered with shitty, ugly, soul-less, tasteless, petit bourgeois Barratt home redbrick shoeboxes exactly like yours, with sufficient parking for two cars and a cellar space for frenzied wanking

Sport, my arse.
    Snooker’s not been the same since a very pissed Alex Higgins once won a match, and then fell asleep in his chair for several hours.

Horribly ageist, but also semi serious point: won't that disenfranchise a not completely trivial part of the Tory membership?

I mean, most 70 year olds I know could manage online voting, I think, but once you get past 80 or so it gets much more sketchy - i.e. those who retired before about 2005, unless they've made an effort to get proficient (I know we have some octogenarians on here who would clearly have no difficulties). My dad (82) would manage it, as long as reasonably well designed; my father in law easily, my mother in law not sure and my mum no way (last three all 70s).
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,997
    edited July 30
    Of the 7 swing states:

Arizona
    Georgia
    Michigan
    Nevada
    N Carolina
    Pennsylvania
    Wisconsin

Which ONE state would be your best bet for Dems win and which ONE state for Rep win.

I'm playing with the EC maths.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,516

Sport, my arse.
    Guns are not evil. I used t love shooting at school, and have never aimed a gun at a living (or dead) creature.

Trap or target shooting is a sport; it is about precision, timing and skill. If table tennis is a sport, so is shooting.
    Not going to get into the argument about whether shooting is a sport (ignoring my silly joke on another post), but I don't think you can equate table tennis with shooting with regard to whether it s a sport or not. Proper table tennis is absolutely knackering.
    kjh said:

Sport, my arse.

Not going to get into the argument about whether shooting is a sport (ignoring my silly joke on another post), but I don't think you can equate table tennis with shooting with regard to whether it s a sport or not. Proper table tennis is absolutely knackering.
    The javelin is just spear throwing turned into a sport, ie a means of warfare or hunting turned into a competitive game

Shooting is no different

Indeed, most sports likely derive from hunting or fighting
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271

Sport, my arse.
    Rubbish. When I were a cricket-playing lad, we all used to have a sneaky fag while fielding at long leg.
    Foss said:

MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

That's just incredible.

I make that 54kWh.

At one point there was talk of using old gas fields for hydrogen storage. That feels nicely discreet and, with the amount of gas we’ve extracted, like something that could be used to build a nice big buffer. Plus it might give Aberdeen something to do.
    I believe that such projects are under development. Of course, you have to separate the hydrogen from the residual hydrocarbons when you bring it back to the surface.

Salt cavity storage does not have that issue, unless you are repurposing an existing natural gas cavity.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Sandpit said:

Merseyside Police have warned that the name of the alleged Southport knifeman circulating on social media is wrong.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/30/merseyside-police-southport-suspect-name-online-wrong/

Haven't multiple names been circulating? It would help if they clarified which one they mean.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    rcs1000 said:

I'd agree with TSE in making Harris current favourite.
    (& I posted that poll earlier.)

Long way still to go, though. Trump has a chance to redefine the race (and Harris to solidify her position).

But he's the one with the hardest challenge now. People know who he is, they don't like quite lot of his policies (if they can be bothered what they are), he's old, and he has picked a crap VP.
    And he's dishonest, convicted felon.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,969

one to watch

Will be interesting to see how Labour's house-building plans fare against all the "human rights" legislation we're signed up to...
    edited July 30
    kjh said:

Sport, my arse.

A sport is a competitive endeavour between individuals or teams.

The only ‘sport’ that really isn’t, is professional wrestling. Everything else we see, from chess and darts to F1 and the Americas Cup, is a sport.

Sandpit said:

Haven't multiple names been circulating? It would help if they clarified which one they mean.
    From what I can see one of the names is obviously snd laughably wrong and another is probably right

I shall not trouble the mods by repeating either on here

Tho at some point the coppers may have to accept that speculation is actually worse than revelation: and confess the name

Many thousands already know it
    Selebian said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

Um...

It's also blunted by the fact the GOP refused to pass a bipartisan bill, which was offered a year ago.
    It's one of the Democrats weaker points, but unless something changes dramatically (Venezuela producing another wave of refugees ?), it's probably not a game changer.
    Leon said:

one to watch

You won't be happy until every acre of England is covered with shitty, ugly, soul-less, tasteless, petit bourgeois Barratt home redbrick shoeboxes exactly like yours, with sufficient parking for two cars and a cellar space for frenzied wanking
    No need for every acre.

I won't be happy until every single family who wants one can buy an affordable new home, with offroad parking for two cars etc, yes.

And people who want to either buy or let should have adequate choice too, which means we need approximately 10% of properties to be vacant at any one time, so that poorly maintained/expensive homes aren't let out, and are only sold to those who desire to refurbish them.

We need about ten million of them built to reverse our housing shortage. That won't take anything close to every acre. About 1.2 million acres to be built upon should suffice.

To put that into context we have 41.6 million acres of agricultural land. So we could use less than 2.5% of our agricultural land to build enough new homes to completely end the housing shortage, even if every single home was built on agricultural land (which it won't be).
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

From what I can see one of the names is obviously snd laughably wrong and another is probably right

Tho at some point the coppers may have to accept that speculation is actually worse than revelation: and confess the name

At every point the coppers should follow the law.

The law forbids naming under-18s.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Richard Sloggett
    @rcsloggett
    ·
    7h
    Interesting that Lib Dems will Chair Health and Social Care SelComm. Wonder if they use this platform to push harder on social care?…..
    Selebian said:

Horribly ageist, but also semi serious point: won't that disenfranchise a not completely trivial part of the Tory membership?

I mean, most 70 year olds I know could manage online voting, I think, but once you get past 80 or so it gets much more sketchy - i.e. those who retired before about 2005, unless they've made an effort to get proficient (I know we have some octogenarians on here who would clearly have no difficulties). My dad (82) would manage it, as long as reasonably well designed; my father in law easily, my mother in law not sure and my mum no way (last three all 70s).
    I suspect it will be very important when it comes to the final vote - younger pensioners seem to trend Reform but the impact of that would require more thinking then I can be bothered to do...
    Selebian said:

I plan to do a thread on this.

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

The police are not going to release the name if he’s 17. He’s legally anonymous, unless and until the judge identifies him on conviction.

Anyone posting the name on social media is likely to find themselves in legal trouble if they are in the UK.
    edited July 30
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

You mean like the many millions who knew Lord McAlpine was a nonce?
    GIN1138 said:

one to watch

Will be interesting to see how Labour's house-building plans fare against all the "human rights" legislation we're signed up to...
    Love to know what human rights legislation blocks house building - the laws that currently create problems are environmental...

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Not true. Under certain circumstances

“Lifting restrictions: Courts can lift reporting restrictions if it's deemed to be in the public interest or for the welfare of the child.”

You can imagine a situation say (and I’m not referring to Southport) the public was convinced child X had done a terrible murder and vigilante gangs were threatening the family of X

In that situation a judge might say it is better and in the public interest to name the actual accused: child Y

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

The lawyers on here will know better but according to the BBC that's not true in England and Wales unless there is a specific court order in place.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-44766870

In England and Wales, the court must make an order to prevent the identification of someone under 18 who is involved in proceedings.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    eek said:

Shades of "The Manchurian Candidate"?

The Manchurian Candidate - Trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc8LpuM5Bhs

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

You mean like the many millions knew Lord McAlpine was a nonce?
    Ah, Sally Bercow, someone who’s thankfully disappeared from the public discourse.
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

“Lifting restrictions: Courts can lift reporting restrictions if it's deemed to be in the public interest or for the welfare of the child.”

You can imagine a situation say (and I’m not referring to Southport) the public was convinced child X had done a terrible murder and vigilante gangs were threatening the family of X

In that situation a judge might say it is better and in the public interest to name the actual accused: child Y
    The law should never kowtow to vigilantes. Apart from Bruce Wayne.

If convicted then the murderer should be named, as happened with the murderers of Brianna Ghey in Warrington. Until then, its perfectly standard procedure to not name the accused.

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

You mean like the many millions who knew Lord McAlpine was a nonce?
    Given the details revealed already by the Mail, Telegraph and now several foreign sources it would take an Internet sleuth about 3 minutes to find the right name

I’m not saying this is a good thing, just that it is the nature of social media and the net. It is much much harder to hide stuff
    MattW said:

Nigelb said:

Cookie said:

Andy_JS said:

That's just incredible.

I make that 54kWh.

The UK's "biggest scheme in 40 years" is only 11,000 swimming pools worth.
    https://www.sse.com/news-and-views/2023/03/britain-s-largest-pumped-hydro-scheme-in-40-years-gets-100m-investment-boost/

If you want anything really useful, you have to look at much bigger features.

Strath Dearn has, apparently, a 6.8TWh potential, which really would shift the dial, but I doubt Scotland would seriously contemplate such a change to their landscape.
    https://euanmearns.com/the-seawater-pumped-hydro-potential-of-the-world/

The next best in the UK is flooding Exmoor, which would give a mere 200GWh of storage.
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Ah, Sally Bercow, someone who’s thankfully disappeared from the public discourse.
    God I hate Philip Schofield

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2012/nov/19/lord-mcalpine-itv-settlement-philip-schofield
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,854

one to watch

Just a thought... Who is going to find the qualified manpower to build the houses?
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Her weirdo husband has more or less faded out of the limelight too, thankfully.
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,267
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Sport, my arse.

The only ‘sport’ that really isn’t, is professional wrestling. Everything else we see, from chess and darts to F1 and the Americas Cup, is a sport.
    Would you like to see e-sports in the Olympics? Or artistic competitions? Possibly the various academic Olympiads?

I think it would be great.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    edited July 30
    Stocky said:

Of the 7 swing states:

Arizona
    Georgia
    Michigan
    Nevada
    N Carolina
    Pennsylvania
    Wisconsin

Which ONE state would be your best bet for Dems win and which ONE state for Rep win.

Michigan -> Dem
    N Carolina -> GOP
    ClippP said:

one to watch

Just a thought... Who is going to find the qualified manpower to build the houses?
    The construction sector employs 3.1 million people in this country.

Break the oligopoly of Barratt etc by saying anyone who wants to can build a home, rather than just those with "permission".
    Andy_JS said:

It's interesting how few polls we've had wrt the US presidential race.

Talking of polls, it's about time we started getting a few UK voting intention polls. Hopefully at the weekend we'll ge one.

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Sport, my arse.

Would you like to see e-sports in the Olympics? Or artistic competitions? Possibly the various academic Olympiads?

The e-sports Olympics are being held next year in Saudi Arabia https://olympics.com/ioc/news/ioc-announces-olympic-esports-games-to-be-hosted-in-the-kingdom-of-saudi-arabia
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    Sandpit said:

one to watch

Completely wrong as always.

What building large numbers of new houses needs is full release of all landbanked sites for immediate development but that won't help.

We then need a nationally co-ordinated plan to build the houses which we won't get.

Finally, we need to ensure we have enough specialist trades to get the houses built - perhaps we vould get some skilled foreign labour in and let them bring their families as they are going to be here for a while. Should be popular.

By the by, we also need to ensure the infrastructure is in place to support the tens of thousands of new homes which are just going to appear out of nowhere at the whim of a Whitehall civil servant (apparently).

It would be nice one day to have a serious and informed discussion about housing but we aren't getting it on here.

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

If convicted then the murderer should be named, as happened with the murderers of Brianna Ghey in Warrington. Until then, its perfectly standard procedure to not name the accused.
    That is not the point. As has been pointed out to you, the law is not absolute in this matter, and allows for considerable discretion

Whether that should be applied in the case, heaven knows
    edited July 30
    Stocky said:

Of the 7 swing states:

Arizona
    Georgia
    Michigan
    Nevada
    N Carolina
    Pennsylvania
    Wisconsin

None currently offer better Betfair odds than Harris for President - which suggests what value her current price is.
    (Though that's partly because they're such thin markets, for now.)
  • FossFoss Posts: 894

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Sport, my arse.

There used to be an artistic element to the Olympics but it died out after the war.
    stodge said:

Sandpit said:

one to watch

Completely wrong as always.

What building large numbers of new houses needs is full release of all landbanked sites for immediate development but that won't help.

We then need a nationally co-ordinated plan to build the houses which we won't get.

Finally, we need to ensure we have enough specialist trades to get the houses built - perhaps we vould get some skilled foreign labour in and let them bring their families as they are going to be here for a while. Should be popular.

By the by, we also need to ensure the infrastructure is in place to support the tens of thousands of new homes which are just going to appear out of nowhere at the whim of a Whitehall civil servant (apparently).

It would be nice one day to have a serious and informed discussion about housing but we aren't getting it on here.
    We have more than enough qualified people who can work in construction in this country. The sector employs over 9% of our workforce.

The problem is that outside of about 10 firms which can play the planning system game, the rest of the people don't work on building houses - but liberate the planning system and they could.
  • mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,533
    Foss said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Sport, my arse.

There used to be an artistic element to the Olympics but it died out after the war.
    The Olympic Org is already behind an eSports programme.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    I am not really big on the police policing people saying hurty words on the t'interweb, but people don't seem to realise or learn that identifying suspect that can't be identified under the law might be errrh be problematic.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    How can anyone say this isn't sport...

https://x.com/ruemcclammyhand/status/1817722222330757346
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

That is not the point. As has been pointed out to you, the law is not absolute in this matter, and allows for considerable discretion

Whether that should be applied in the case, heaven knows
    The law gives discretion to judges, not coppers, to waive anonymity. Yet you demand the coppers do.

Standard procedure, quite reasonably, is for judges to only ever waive anonymity post-conviction.

So what more do you expect?
    OMG the pictures of the now-dead kids in Southport. With 5 more in critical condition

I click on the Guardian website to make sure we are still beating the Germans in the medal table, and there they are. Little girls. Unavoidable

This story has hit me more than many in years. That probably makes me a terrible person because Gaza is worse of course and so on and etc

But there it is. This story, it is the pits of hell. If my family and friends are anything to go by, I am not alone
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

Sport, my arse.

Boxing most definitely IS evil, glorification of violence against the person!
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    edited July 30
    Pulpstar said:

Sandpit said:

one to watch

A council league table would be useful.

Council - Target - Starts - Completions - & the important one: % completions to target.

I think, judging by the new estates near me Bassetlaw is probably doing it's bit.

It'd be interesting to see where the worst offenders for housebuilding are. Any guesses ?
    Just some some quick and dirty work on this - the most nimby council in the country looks at first glance like it's Slough.
    The best for building / population maybe Mid Suffolk.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1bBO7Yc_KIk9--T38_TmoQgjuog82r-KkVa2ccKRQC-A/edit?usp=sharing

Sport, my arse.

I am not a fan of boxing.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Washington Post (via Seattle Times) - Vance tells donors Harris change was a ‘sucker punch,’ at odds with campaign

The Republican vice-presidential nominee, Sen. JD Vance (R-Ohio), privately told donors that running against Vice President Harris instead of President Biden made the race more challenging — an admission at odds with the Donald Trump campaign’s public projections of confidence.

“All of us were hit with a little bit of a political sucker punch,” Vance said about Biden’s withdrawal on July 21, according to a recording of his remarks at a Saturday fundraiser in Golden Valley, Minn. “The bad news is that Kamala Harris does not have the same baggage as Joe Biden, because whatever we might have to say, Kamala is a lot younger. And Kamala Harris is obviously not struggling in the same ways that Joe Biden did.”

Publicly, the Trump campaign has insisted that Harris replacing Biden at the top of the Democratic ticket has not changed the race, arguing that she shares responsibility for public dissatisfaction with Biden’s leadership. Vance told reporters on July 22, a day after Biden dropped out of the race, that there was no difference in running against Harris vs. Biden.

“I don’t think the political calculus changes at all,” Vance said. . . .

SSI - Spoken like a true hypocrite. AND sucker!
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500

Sport, my arse.

I think you're getting confused with the Boxing Day Strictly specials.

one to watch

Woman, in this case.
    And either they get with the national building program - in which case they can draw up the plans. - or they surrender control.

At least you can't any longer claim Labour don't have any policies.
    Foss said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

Sport, my arse.

There even used to be a competition for town planning. We won gold in 1932 for a scheme in Liverpool.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_art_competitions
This discussion has been closed.