Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The revenge of the cat ladies? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• eekeek Posts: 27,481

Telegraph.

"Labour scraps dozens of planned railway lines in blow to small town Britain
    Chancellor’s cost cutting feels like a ‘mini-Beeching’, say campaigners"

Including:

Aldridge Line Upgrade

Portishead

Fleetwood Line

Barrow Hill Line

Ivanhoe Line

Waterside Line (Fawley)

Mid Cornwall Metro

None of them costed, none of them even vaguely viable - so no real loss...
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240

Telegraph.

Including:

Aldridge Line Upgrade

Portishead

Fleetwood Line

Barrow Hill Line

Ivanhoe Line

Waterside Line (Fawley)

Mid Cornwall Metro

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    You voted for this shit
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    edited July 30
    New Harvard Harris national poll has Trump leading Harris 48% to 45%.
    https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/HHP_July2024_KeyResults.pdf

Trump gets 53% of men, Harris 48% of women. Trump gets 53% of those without a HS diploma, 49% of those with a HS diploma but only 45% of graduates.

54% of whites back Trump, 67% of blacks back Harris, 47% of Hispanics and 50% of Asians also back Harris.

Harris wins 54% of those in urban areas, Trump wins 48% of suburban area voters and 62% of those in rural areas.

9% of 2020 Biden voters now back Trump and 5% of 2020 Trump voters back Harris.

SP&R meanwhile has Harris ahead in Pennsylvania 47% to 43% for Trump
    https://x.com/SusquehannaPR/status/1818309340928901514
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,025
    kinabalu said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Foss said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Got to ask who are the people who would protest at the Prime Minister visiting the scene

Keir Starmer placed his own floral tribute among hundreds of others at the police cordon on Hart Street, Southport.

But the brief visit, lasting barely two minutes, was marred by hostile shouts from some watching members of the public, the PA news agency reports.

It reminds me of Macron getting booed after the Nice truck attack, when he came to pay respects. Which was a turning point in French politics
    I remember that shooting in West Cumbria in about July 2010. David Cameron visited the town. The BBC reported that some people were unhappy with this, saying that it had taken an event like this for him to visit the town and didn't care about it normally. At the time I just put this down to a mad BBC attempt to find balance i.e. always find an angle to criticise the PM - because he had been in office for about 3 weeks, and it must strike anyone sane that in normal circumstances a visit to Workington is an unlikely priority for a PM in his first 100 days. But maybe people genuinely do find PM's responsible in whatever situation they're in.

I'm no fan of SKS. But it's hard to find an angle by which he is responsible for this.
    It’s because Starmer is the current embodiment of the Establishment - an establishment that demanded a monopoly on violence and, after taking that monopoly, failed to protect those children. Their anger at the Establishment is understandable and just.
    Why are you using this terrible event to post deranged drivel on a public forum?
    I asked the reasonable question of 'how can people find SKS responsible' - I think Foss posted a reasonable answer. I'd disagree with him on the last two words. But anger is an understandable reaction to pointless tragedy - we want someone to blame. We don't want to just shrug our shoulders and say 'ah, well, shit happens'.
    "An establishment that demanded a monopoly on violence failed to protect ..."

That's your idea of reasonable?
    Admittedly slightly more floridly put than I would have done - but what part of this would you disagree with?
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092

kyf_100 said:

Mortimer said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

This is Starmer's first real test as a PM: heckled by sobbing parents and angry locals at the scene of a hideous atrocity

And the job doesn't get any easier from here, Skyr

That wasn't just catcalling it was poingnant questions. It all feeds into the cancellation of Rwanda and Bibby Stockholm.

Pulling the plug on Winter Fuel Payments for a single pensioner with an income of £11,390 a year or a couple with joint income of £17,320 is at a time like this quite incendiary. Even Gideon Osborne wasn't stupid enough to do something like this.

Both of these issues have cut through hugely.

Honeymoon Over. Expect Polls to start shifting with Reform not Tories benefitting from Labour falls.

Within 18 months Labour are going to be utterly despised.
    Less than a month and you're already writing the epitaph.

To be fair, thanks to Covid, it took three years for the last Conservative Government to be utterly despised and they basically remained like that for the rest of their sorry time in office.

Leon said:

This is Starmer's first real test as a PM: heckled by sobbing parents and angry locals at the scene of a hideous atrocity

That wasn't just catcalling it was poingnant questions. It all feeds into the cancellation of Rwanda and Bibby Stockholm.

Pulling the plug on Winter Fuel Payments for a single pensioner with an income of £11,390 a year or a couple with joint income of £17,320 is at a time like this quite incendiary. Even Gideon Osborne wasn't stupid enough to do something like this.

Honeymoon Over. Expect Polls to start shifting with Reform not Tories benefitting from Labour falls.

Erm...

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    45m
    Rachel Reeves has announced that winter fuel payments to pensioners in England and Wales will become means-tested, a move which the public supports by 47% to 38%
    That is because a good chunk of the 47% think it only affects wealthy pensioners, wheras the reality is that it hits a single pensioner with an income as low as £11,390 a year or a couple with joint income as low as £17,320.

Those who have worked it out are furious (as a casual look at local town facebook groups shows).

There have also been media reports wrongly stating that it dosen't apply to over 80s.

Yep.

Many of my pals have been messaged by their generally apolitical fathers outraged at this.

Taking entitlements away is very painful. It will be downhill from here for the Labour VI....
    Pensioners now having to put up with the hugely inflated energy bills the rest of us have been suffering the last couple of winters? Cry me a river.

I only switched my heating on twice during the last year.
    Rachel "Pensioner Freezer" Reeves.
    Sir Kier Starver appeared on my local town Facepalm group
    Is there a complete list of Rachel Beeching's railway cuts?
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Wow I've never seen people so angry at a PM laying flowers for children who have been murdered.

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting
    Keir Starmer is heckled by onlookers as he lays flowers at the scene of the Southport knife attack.

@LBC

@LBCNews

https://x.com/GlobalGotting/status/1818298681977606316

Why are they angry at him? Honest question?
    Foxy said:

I see all those Tories who were desperate to cut back our welfare state have their onions out for the pensioners.

They wanted the face eating leopards to only eat other people's faces.

Pensioners paid their fair share when they worked.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,462
    This is quite a story:

"Members of an "anti-establishment cult" who stormed into a court with handcuffs have been found guilty of trying to kidnap a coroner."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/c0xj25y20nqo
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 30

Mortimer said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

To be fair, thanks to Covid, it took three years for the last Conservative Government to be utterly despised and they basically remained like that for the rest of their sorry time in office.

Leon said:

Erm...

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    45m
    Rachel Reeves has announced that winter fuel payments to pensioners in England and Wales will become means-tested, a move which the public supports by 47% to 38%
    That is because a good chunk of the 47% think it only affects wealthy pensioners, wheras the reality is that it hits a single pensioner with an income as low as £11,390 a year or a couple with joint income as low as £17,320.

Those who have worked it out are furious (as a casual look at local town facebook groups shows).

There have also been media reports wrongly stating that it dosen't apply to over 80s.

Yep.

Many of my pals have been messaged by their generally apolitical fathers outraged at this.

Taking entitlements away is very painful. It will be downhill from here for the Labour VI....
    Taking entitlements away is one thing, taking them away unfairly (by hitting a single pensioner with an income as low as £11,390 a year or a couple with joint income as low as £17,320) is another matter entirely.

I suspect that the root issue is that setting the bar at anything other than pension credit level would cost more than money saved.

So they have taken the "easy" option and in doing so both highlighted andnmagnified what is already the most unjust and iniquitous cliff edge off all.

They have demonstrated in doing so that they do not have the wit and competence to reform things properly and justly, so things will continue to get worse with a bigger price paid for less and less delivery.

This has cut through and revealed to the electorate that all that has been achieved in the election is resrranging the deckchairs on the titanic.

The terrible events in Southport have also cut through to Starmers decison to cancel Rwanda in the starkest and cruellest possible way.
    Your final paragraph is a remarkable leap. It is also quite disgusting that you have made that leap on the back of such a hideous atrocity.

This place has become very unpleasant.
    I explain it in my response to eek.
    I found it to be a wholly inadequate and spurious explanation.

Carry on regardless, it's a free country, but such vile shite is not for me. Over and out.
    You may not like it but millions of people already furious about the failure to stop illegal immigration (and the billions to feed, clothe and house them) are not looking beyond:.

- assailant (or his parents) originates from Rwanda (check).
    - Starmer has just stopped illegal immigrants including military aged men being deported to Rwanda (check) QED.

Because millions don't look beyond the headlines.

It was very unwise of Starmer to can Rwanda before a credible alternative had been put in place. As a result he owns anything that goes wrong in the meantime,
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    Mortimer said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Erm...

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    45m

Yep.

It's a completely stupid entitlement. Like free TV licences. A typical Gordon Brown gimmick. It's about time we had a serious government. If they think certain pensioners need more money give it to them. Loads of people just don't want it.
  • TresTres Posts: 2,648
    Nunu5 said:

Wow I've never seen people so angry at a PM laying flowers for children who have been murdered.

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting
    Keir Starmer is heckled by onlookers as he lays flowers at the scene of the Southport knife attack.

@LBC

@LBCNews

radicalisation on low information social media
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    We have at least a question to ask all the Conservative leadership candidates:

Would you seek to re-instate the winter fuel allowance for all pensioners and how would this be funded?
    Leon said:

Telegraph.

Including:

Aldridge Line Upgrade

Portishead

Fleetwood Line

Barrow Hill Line

Ivanhoe Line

Waterside Line (Fawley)

Mid Cornwall Metro

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    You voted for this shit
    Touche! I think I need to change my avatar pronto...
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    HYUFD said:

https://harvardharrispoll.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/07/HHP_July2024_KeyResults.pdf

Trump gets 53% of men, Harris 48% of women. Trump gets 53% of those without a HS diploma, 49% of those with a HS diploma but only 45% of graduates.

54% of whites back Trump, 67% of blacks back Harris, 47% of Hispanics and 50% of Asians also back Harris.

Harris wins 54% of those in urban areas, Trump wins 48% of suburban area voters and 62% of those in rural areas.

Should we start considering seriously that Trump might win the popular vote and still lose the Electoral College?

That would be *epic* karma...
    Roger said:

Mortimer said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Erm...

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    45m

Yep.

It's a completely stupid entitlement. Like free TV licences. A typical Gordon Brown gimmick. It's about time we had a serious government. If they think certain pensioners need more money give it to them. Loads of people just don't want it.
    Got to say I would just add the £100/300 to the pension and then find a way of taxing it away at an appropriate point say between £20,000 and £25,000...

The problem is that the way the money is given at the moment makes it impossible to do anything sensible because even the above plan doesn't work given that tax is individual but the money is often per couple.
    Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

What does that mean?

Mortimer said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Erm...

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    45m

Yep.

Taking entitlements away is one thing, taking them away unfairly (by hitting a single pensioner with an income as low as £11,390 a year or a couple with joint income as low as £17,320) is another matter entirely.

I suspect that the root issue is that setting the bar at anything other than pension credit level would cost more than money saved.

So they have taken the "easy" option and in doing so both highlighted andnmagnified what is already the most unjust and iniquitous cliff edge off all.

They have demonstrated in doing so that they do not have the wit and competence to reform things properly and justly, so things will continue to get worse with a bigger price paid for less and less delivery.

This has cut through and revealed to the electorate that all that has been achieved in the election is resrranging the deckchairs on the titanic.

The terrible events in Southport have also cut through to Starmers decison to cancel Rwanda in the starkest and cruellest possible way.
    Your final paragraph is a remarkable leap. It is also quite disgusting that you have made that leap on the back of such a hideous atrocity.

Carry on regardless, it's a free country, but such vile shite is not for me. Over and out.
    You may not like it but millions of people already furious about the failure to stop illegal immigration (and the billions to feed, clothe and house them) are not looking beyond:.

- Starmer has just stopped illegal immigrants including military aged men being deported to Rwanda (check) QED.

It was very unwise of Starmer to can Rwanda before a credible alternative had been put in place. As a result he owns anything that goes wrong in the meantime,
    The only QED here is that your racist views are now front and centre for us all to see...

The fact you are willing to put those 2 views together shows everything we need to know...
    Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Or they see this as the latest in a sequence of events where the government/police seem inadequate to the challenge of mass immigration - from the Roma riots in Leeds to the the riots in Whitechapel to the Manchester airport debacle to the stabbing of the soldier in gillingham to the atrocity in Southport. All involving - in one way or another - migrant communities. And all in a week or so

You may think this is racist. But that’s the narrative on social media and when you’ve got people like Michael Owen tweeting it out then it obviously has massive impact
    Roger said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

What does that mean?
    A lot of people get their news from their view of social media which may well be a right wing racist echo chamber because that's what kept them on Facebook for another 10 seconds a few times in the past (hence Facebook targets them with similar items)..
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,689
    Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

I think it's because it's them immigrants, innit.

There was a rather smart post on here earlier by someone about the way the UK is increasingly resembling sectarian Northern Ireland, with different groups that don't integrate.

Even if this tragedy turns out to have nothing to do with recent immigration, it's clear where the tensions are.
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Or they see this as the latest in a sequence of events where the government/police seem inadequate to the challenge of mass immigration - from the Roma riots in Leeds to the the riots in Whitechapel to the Manchester airport debacle to the stabbing of the soldier in gillingham to the atrocity in Southport. All involving - in one way or another - migrant communities. And all in a week or so

You may think this is racist. But that’s the narrative on social media and when you’ve got people like Michael Owen tweeting it out then it obviously has massive impact
    And it's a world that we won't see as our facebook algorithm will be returning very different posts to keep as their those extra few seconds..
    eek said:

Telegraph.

Including:

Aldridge Line Upgrade

Portishead

Fleetwood Line

Barrow Hill Line

Ivanhoe Line

Waterside Line (Fawley)

Mid Cornwall Metro

Linkies for those claims please. In the case of the Ivanhoe Line, you could probably walk between Burton and Leicester on the feasibility studies over the last four decades...
    eek said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

And it's a world that we won't see as our facebook algorithm will be returning very different posts to keep as their those extra few seconds..
    Well it’s definitely on x and definitely on TikTok. I don’t know about Facebook I can’t stand it. Full of old people
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Michael Owen is the epitome of low information dimwittery, bloke has only watched 3 films in his life because he doesnt have the attention span for it.
    stodge said:

We have at least a question to ask all the Conservative leadership candidates:

Would you seek to re-instate the winter fuel allowance for all pensioners and how would this be funded?

That last bit is simple - magic money tree...
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358

This is quite a story:

"Members of an "anti-establishment cult" who stormed into a court with handcuffs have been found guilty of trying to kidnap a coroner."

Interesting.

Liz Truss 'I was the victim'

No Truss - it was the British people and the conservative party who were your victims , and your electorate showed you a straight red

I sometimes wish I had more confidence. But my god there is such thing as too much!
    Fantastically, Vichy has completely erased its WW2 past. It’s obviously the one thing that makes it famous. Yet there is not a plaque or a sign that I can find

Foxy said:

I see all those Tories who were desperate to cut back our welfare state have their onions out for the pensioners.

They wanted the face eating leopards to only eat other people's faces.

Pensioners paid their fair share when they worked.
    As the best writer of catchy lines on here how about working on a few for kermala?
    Andy_JS said:

This is quite a story:

Interesting.
    Look at them with their coffees they look like a normal metropolitan couple
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    edited July 30
    Roger said:

Mortimer said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Erm...

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    45m

Yep.

Roger said:

Mortimer said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Erm...

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    45m

Yep.

The tv licence was the most stupid "freebie". It cost £650m a year, including £200m to administer the scheme, so very expensive. They could have said no oldie needs a licence, here is an extra lump sum from central government.
  • Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

As I said in response to others and got smeared as racist for my troubles:

"You may not like it but millions of people already furious about the failure to stop illegal immigration (and the billions to feed, clothe and house them) are not looking beyond:.

It was very unwise of Starmer to can Rwanda before a credible alternative had been put in place. As a result he owns anything that goes wrong in the meantime,"
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    edited July 30
    Leon said:

They’re all conspiracy theory believing racists according to some here. How dare they be concerned about a mass murder on their doorstep. They need to be wary of invoking the ire of sneery posh fuckers on PB.
    edited July 30
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Should we start considering seriously that Trump might win the popular vote and still lose the Electoral College?

I think there is a serious prospect of that yes, at the moment Trump is doing better in big states like California and New York than he did in 2016 and 2020 but not much better in the Midwestern swing states than he did in 2020.

Indeed if Harris holds all the states even John Kerry won in 2004 and adds Virginia, Colorado and New Mexico which Hillary won (even if Trump wins Nevada which Hillary also won) then she wins the EC 270 to 268 if Harris picks up 1 in Nebraska as Biden did and Trump wins his 1 vote in Maine too again
    Tres said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Michael Owen is the epitome of low information dimwittery, bloke has only watched 3 films in his life because he doesnt have the attention span for it.
    That’s not really the point

He has 3.9m followers. Lineker has 8.5m

So they are both highly influential

Also, Owen is breaking ranks whereas Lineker just repeats the latest woke drivel. So Owen is more interesting
    Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Just taking a swipe at the first thing they see. It's like policemen who sometimes get attacked when delivering bad news
  • stodgestodge Posts: 13,643
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

A local and well informed take on events in Whitechapel:

https://whitechapellondon.co.uk/student-protests-bangladesh-prompt-unrest-tower-hamlets/

Interesting to see the reference to "freshies" suggesting the tension is within communities between those who were born and brought up here and those newly arrived.
  • EPGEPG Posts: 6,637
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Also, Owen is breaking ranks whereas Lineker just repeats the latest woke drivel. So Owen is more interesting
    Owen is just repeating the same far-right drivel as you.
    Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

The point is that you have found your intellectual level on social media and it's with a bloke who think an Ampersand is the right back for Tottenham Hotspur.
    Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

Foss said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

eek said:

Got to ask who are the people who would protest at the Prime Minister visiting the scene

Keir Starmer placed his own floral tribute among hundreds of others at the police cordon on Hart Street, Southport.

But the brief visit, lasting barely two minutes, was marred by hostile shouts from some watching members of the public, the PA news agency reports.

It reminds me of Macron getting booed after the Nice truck attack, when he came to pay respects. Which was a turning point in French politics
    I remember that shooting in West Cumbria in about July 2010. David Cameron visited the town. The BBC reported that some people were unhappy with this, saying that it had taken an event like this for him to visit the town and didn't care about it normally. At the time I just put this down to a mad BBC attempt to find balance i.e. always find an angle to criticise the PM - because he had been in office for about 3 weeks, and it must strike anyone sane that in normal circumstances a visit to Workington is an unlikely priority for a PM in his first 100 days. But maybe people genuinely do find PM's responsible in whatever situation they're in.

I'm no fan of SKS. But it's hard to find an angle by which he is responsible for this.
    It’s because Starmer is the current embodiment of the Establishment - an establishment that demanded a monopoly on violence and, after taking that monopoly, failed to protect those children. Their anger at the Establishment is understandable and just.
    Why are you using this terrible event to post deranged drivel on a public forum?
    I asked the reasonable question of 'how can people find SKS responsible' - I think Foss posted a reasonable answer. I'd disagree with him on the last two words. But anger is an understandable reaction to pointless tragedy - we want someone to blame. We don't want to just shrug our shoulders and say 'ah, well, shit happens'.
    Absolutely agree. Their anger against SKS is not fair but it is understandable. There is nothing deranged about what Foss wrote or drivel. It’s a fair observation. The Brexit vote was an anti establishment vote.
    EPG said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

I am a flaneur of the boulevards of psychosociology. I observe the social animal that is Man

Michael Owen is an ex footballer
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    Trump’s first major TV ad of the campaign attacks Harris over the border.

https://x.com/joelweingart_/status/1818249346988585156
    Tres said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

The point is that you have found your intellectual level on social media and it's with a bloke who think an Ampersand is the right back for Tottenham Hotspur.
    Aww. That was a “joke” wasn’t it? Or at least an attempt at one. Bless
    edited July 30
    EPG said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

And validating your world view...
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

In the words of Kevin Keegan, I’d love it, I’d just love it.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420

Roger said:

Always knew Kemi was a wrong un/knew this story was coming.

Kemi Badenoch accused of ‘bullying and traumatising’ staff

Exclusive: At least three department officials allegedly felt pushed out by MP’s behaviour as business secretary

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/30/kemi-badenoch-accused-of-bullying-and-traumatising-staff

Isn't bullying endemic amongst Conservative Ministers? Wasn't Patel another? A third of prospective candidates sounds like a trend.
    It used to be that getting Malcolm Tuckered or a mobile to the head was not even seen as bullying. Now a funny look and being a meanie by being asked to redo your homework appears to be what a lot of these civil servants deem as bullying.

The claims of bullying is thrown around casually. I think a more correct criticism is they aren't very effective bosses as getting the best out of their staff.
    Rory Stewart was accused of bullying staff because, when they lied to his face, he found out the truth independently and presented them with the truth.

Perhaps we needed some more bullying over the post office?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,962
    edited July 30
    If Robert Jenrick is selected by the Conservatives what are the risks of him being felled by sleaze/corruption allegations?

eg https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/article/comment/robert-jenrick-affair-has-potential-do-lasting-damage-government

Presumably Labour now have access to previously withheld documents.
    edited July 30
    kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

There was a rather smart post on here earlier by someone about the way the UK is increasingly resembling sectarian Northern Ireland, with different groups that don't integrate.

Even if this tragedy turns out to have nothing to do with recent immigration, it's clear where the tensions are.
    There’s three dead girls in large fridges at the moment who will never live the lives they had hoped for or their parents had hoped for and people in that community are scared and frightened and your posting shit like This.

Should they not be angry, just shrug their shoulders and say ‘that’s life’. People expect to be safe in their communities. The d demographic of the perpetrator is irrelevant. Scared and frightened people in a community are just racist in your world.

Give your head a wobble.
  • eek said:

Mortimer said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Erm...

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    45m

Yep.

The only QED here is that your racist views are now front and centre for us all to see...

The fact you are willing to put those 2 views together shows everything we need to know...
    Shooting the messenger dosen't help anyone.

Just because I report what I observe dosent mean I am one of those millions.

There is a big problem and much more burying in the sand and we will get a real fascist getting power before too many more decades pass.
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 659
    Lots going on Beshear for VP all of the sudden.

@Nigelb you still long 200?
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539

Exclusive: At least three department officials allegedly felt pushed out by MP’s behaviour as business secretary

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/article/2024/jul/30/kemi-badenoch-accused-of-bullying-and-traumatising-staff

It's pretty thin actually. A couple of disgruntled officials. No actual complaints. One person who was sacked the next day? No wrongful dismissal claim so far as we know. The Guardian has been phishing for a while on her.

8% of civil servants allege bullying in their business unit.
    9% across BIS as a whole
    9% in Badenoch's private office

I'm not sure why the Graun even bothered mentioning the last bit.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

"You may not like it but millions of people already furious about the failure to stop illegal immigration (and the billions to feed, clothe and house them) are not looking beyond:.

It was very unwise of Starmer to can Rwanda before a credible alternative had been put in place. As a result he owns anything that goes wrong in the meantime,"
    My final point, as you really can't be allowed to post such drivel without comment.

You have conflated at least two stories, a despicable act resulting in tragedy and the Rwanda policy.. The only link to Rwanda from this angle is a Cardiff born teenage murderer whose parents happened to come from Rwanda at least seventeen years ago.

There is a twitter campaign by racists underway implying (what you are tacitly suggesting) that small boat illegal migrants are responsible for this depraved crime. You are barely better. Simply vile.
    Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

There’s three dead girls in large fridges at the moment who will never live the lives they had hoped for or their parents had hoped for and people in that community are scared and frightened and your posting shit like This.

Should they not be angry, just shrug their shoulders and say ‘that’s life’. People expect to be safe in their communities. The d demographic of the perpetrator is irrelevant. Scared and frightened people in a community are just racist in your world.

Give your head a wobble.
    @kyf_100 is generally one of the good guys on here. I think you might be misinterpreting him

There are plenty of the usual suspects posting the usual woke lefty cant
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    edited July 30
    eek said:

Leon said:

And where would Reform get the money from to pay for all the sweeties they promise/promised...
    It doesn't really matter. RefUK has five seats so it makes no difference if Nige's moon on a stick is unfunded.
  • Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

My final point, as you really can't be allowed to post such drivel without comment.

You have conflated at least two stories, a despicable act resulting in tragedy and the Rwanda policy.. The only link to Rwanda from this angle is a Cardiff born teenage murderer whose parents happened to come from Rwanda at least seventeen years ago.

There is a twitter campaign by racists underway implying (what you are tacitly suggesting) that small boat illegal migrants are responsible for this depraved crime. You are barely better. Simply vile.
    Oh dear, more messenger shooting.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057

Gold for Britain in the men's trap shooting.

Sport, my arse.
    How do you define a sport?
    If you can tell who has won without needing a judge. Darts is a sport. Boxing and Ice-skating are not sports. I'm sure that's not a controversial view.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited July 30
    eek said:

Telegraph.

Including:

Aldridge Line Upgrade

Portishead

Fleetwood Line

Barrow Hill Line

Ivanhoe Line

Waterside Line (Fawley)

Mid Cornwall Metro

Quite likely to be real losses, but also quite likely to return I would think, at some point.

However, the salient point is that this is the Telegraph, imo.

Will it upgrade it's status from toilet paper, soon? I'd suggest not.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,057

Sport, my arse.
    Guns are not evil. I used t love shooting at school, and have never aimed a gun at a living (or dead) creature.

Trap or target shooting is a sport; it is about precision, timing and skill. If table tennis is a sport, so is shooting.
    Boxing most definitely IS evil, glorification of violence against the person!
    Your franchise blew up Alderaan! A planet containing literally some people!
  • viewcode said:

Sport, my arse.
    How do you define a sport?
    If you can tell who has won without needing a judge. Darts is a sport. Boxing and Ice-skating are not sports. I'm sure that's not a controversial view.
    Boxing is a sport, the judges are only there to tie break in the event of a draw.

Roger said:

Isn't bullying endemic amongst Conservative Ministers? Wasn't Patel another? A third of prospective candidates sounds like a trend.
    It used to be that getting Malcolm Tuckered or a mobile to the head was not even seen as bullying. Now a funny look and being a meanie by being asked to redo your homework appears to be what a lot of these civil servants deem as bullying.

The claims of bullying is thrown around casually. I think a more correct criticism is they aren't very effective bosses as getting the best out of their staff.
    Rory Stewart was accused of bullying staff because, when they lied to his face, he found out the truth independently and presented them with the truth.

Or forced academisation via forged OFSTED reports, indeed?

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Actually, we don’t know wtf is going on with this suspect. Even the Rwanda thing only comes from newspapers and not from “official” sources. I suspect it is true but we cannot be sure

So: we do not know. We can only guess from what meagre evidence we have

The only verifiable eye witnesses say he is “very dark”. That’s it! No one else has been allowed to describe him even tho dozens have clearly seen him
    edited July 30
    Various other things on X too. None of which looks legit yet, tbh. Also https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4800359-kamala-harris-josh-shapiro-andy-beshear-tim-walz/. DYOR but there is an opportunity here. I don't know what but have made myself all green (still overweight Shapiro & Butteigig) while I try to decide whether to go all in or to lay this move as being rumours...

But this is the political market to be watching atm ladies & gents imo.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Oh dear, more messenger shooting.
    But you're not the messenger, you are the storyteller. A story that you have crafted from bullshit.

Anyway, I'll leave it there. Enjoy your trolling.

This is quite a story:

Ofsted still pissed about that criticism over Ruth Perry?
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Or forced academisation via forged OFSTED reports, indeed?
    In the case of the Post Office, it seems that layers of officials inside and outside the Post Office lied and hid evidence from those who wanted to find out what was happening.

I am quite sure that they would have regarded not taking their lies at face value as "bullying", "aggressive behaviour" and "creating an intolerable working environment."

Mortimer said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Erm...

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    45m

Yep.

Shouldn't you pace yourself? Or are you intending to shovel this drivel over the site for the next four and a half years?
    edited July 30
    Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Actually, we don’t know wtf is going on with this suspect. Even the Rwanda thing only comes from newspapers and not from “official” sources. I suspect it is true but we cannot be sure

So: we do not know. We can only guess from what meagre evidence we have

The only verifiable eye witnesses say he is “very dark”. That’s it! No one else has been allowed to describe him even tho dozens have clearly seen him
    “very dark” - has King Charles The Second been located? Often described as "swarthy"

EDIT: joking aside, there is a long running and well attested phenomenon of witness to stressful events getting the description of people involved completely wrong. Often race.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,539
    Leon said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

I am a flaneur of the boulevards of psychosociology. I observe the social animal that is Man

All I can see from Owen is a tweet saying he feels angry about what has happened and that he's praying for the people involved. Hardly political.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,594
    Lozza Fox is getting involved, talking about the need 'to permanently remove Islam from Great Britain. Completely and entirely'.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,605
    EPG said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Is it your view that it is wrong to question whether there is any link between population diversity and societal conflict or violence?
    From the Guardian. The focus is the suspects mental health. Seems reasonable to me. Stabbing kids to death is not rational and it does not seem terror related.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jul/30/police-searching-for-motive-for-southport-stabbings-focus-on-suspects-mental-health
    Leon said:

Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Give your head a wobble.
    @kyf_100 is generally one of the good guys on here. I think you might be misinterpreting him

Thanks.

What I'm saying in the above post is that _even if_ online reports are false, and the killer has no links to fundamentalism, isn't an immigrant, isn't even an ethnic minority... the reaction to the killing is very telling.

People are fed up with violence coming from what they regard as immigrant communities, be it up in Leeds in the Roma community, or the Manchester Airport debacle. To name but two from *checks notes* this month.

People are lashing out and blaming immigrants before it's actually been proven - but that in itself says a lot about how unchecked mass immigration has driven a massive wedge through our society. As per the poster earlier whose name escapes me, who commented that the whole of the UK is increasingly resembling a sectarian Northern Ireland.

Leon said:

EPG said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Leon said:

Tres said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

All I can see from Owen is a tweet saying he feels angry about what has happened and that he's praying for the people involved. Hardly political.
    We’re rapidly approaching the ‘everyone who disagrees with me is Hitler’ level of discourse.
    edited July 30
    Duplicate deleted
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Taz said:

From the Guardian. The focus is the suspects mental health. Seems reasonable to me. Stabbing kids to death is not rational and it does not seem terror related.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jul/30/police-searching-for-motive-for-southport-stabbings-focus-on-suspects-mental-health

You don't fucking say.

As soon as I heard about this terrible event I thought - he we g, yet another inquiry into why someone with major mental health issues has "slipped through the net".

Mental health services are in a dreadful and terribly dangerous state.

edited July 30
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Give your head a wobble.

Thanks.

What I'm saying in the above post is that _even if_ online reports are false, and the killer has no links to fundamentalism, isn't an immigrant, isn't even an ethnic minority... the reaction to the killing is very telling.

People are fed up with violence coming from what they regard as immigrant communities, be it up in Leeds in the Roma community, or the Manchester Airport debacle. To name but two from *checks notes* this month.

People are lashing out and blaming immigrants before it's actually been proven - but that in itself says a lot about how unchecked mass immigration has driven a massive wedge through our society. As per the poster earlier whose name escapes me, who commented that the whole of the UK is increasingly resembling a sectarian Northern Ireland.
    It was me on the previous thread:

"Southport. Regardless of who did this incident.

Racial tensions can be temporary, such as when a large number of West Indians came and cultural grating, occured, particularly with youths.

However there was enough common culture (and goodwill) to enable integration within a generation or two.

However, when there is no cultural commonality, and a strong religious culture of a different religion which is all encompasing and frowns on marriage to outsiders, you end up with segregation.

What we are now seeing is a Falls and Bogside in many mainland cities and the working class native population reacting by starting to go all Shankhill/Riverside."
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Give your head a wobble.

Thanks.

I can see your point, but that's always been the case. See black people being blamed for crimes - or the fear of crimes - back as far as the 1960s, well before 'unchecked mass immigration'.

In the minds of the brainless, it's always the fault of 'others'; and that's nearly always minorities.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Taz said:

Predictable. The problem they're going to have is that it seems remarkable that he stumbled upon this place. Nottingham was in the street and probably not targeted. It seems highly unlikely that he ended up at a Taylor Swift themed event by chance.
    kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Give your head a wobble.

Thanks.

What "lashing out?" - in the real world, some people may have booed Starmer. The booing may or may not have been motivated by upset over this event.

Booing is quite clearly inside the list of acceptable actions in a social democracy, for expressing an opinion.
    Roger said:

Mortimer said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Erm...

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    45m

Yep.

Shouldn't you pace yourself? Or are you intending to shovel this drivel over the site for the next four and a half years?
    https://youtu.be/zebXDyYuYK0?si=-8pBX7C_oarFjdp0
  • PhilPhil Posts: 2,202

eek said:

eek said:

Mortimer said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Erm...

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    45m

Yep.

Apart from the parents of the person arrested supposedly being from Rwanda - given that the person was born in the UK what has Rwanda got to do with anything?

Unless it's because of the racist cat-calling it allows you to make on here while pretending you are doing no such thing..
    You have pointed out what I held back from saying (due to not being 100% sure on the legailty), of the common link Rwanda has with both issues.

Some of the things I have heard about Starmer as a result of this, from people who normally go out of their way not to be prejudiced, are quite jaw dropping.

Perception is the issue here.
    Sorry but you implied it because immigration and the utterly insane at £175m per person Rwanda scheme was completely irrelevant to this case as you well know. Hence me wondering why someone would bring it up which then brings me to the obvious other conclusion...

Heck the fact we have asylum seekers from Rwanda living in the UK tells you how safe that country really is...
    Both involve Rwanda for coincidental reasons. That is enough for millions who are already furious about the governments failure to stop a large number of mainly military age men entering the country and have just seen Starmer cancel the only scheme on the table to expel them. Whether the actualities are relevant is er totally irrelevant

Then there is the slight matter of using billions of taxpayers money to feed, clothe and house them while cutting winter fuel payment from single pensioners who have paid NI all their life with an income as low as £11,390 and couples with joint income as low as £17,320 to pay for it.

Here's the thing though.

The previous government's approach was to put asylum seekers in legal limbo, but that still meant they were in the country. It's now clear that was costing a blooming fortune, which is one of the reasons the government finances are so borked.

And the backlog of people already on the country was enough to utterly swamp the Rwanda scheme on day one. Because the scheme was a fetish object; designed to elicit emotions but functionally useless.
    The greatest (most awful?) irony of the whole thing is that they could have spent that money on processing the asylum backlog, let those who were given asylum into the workforce & filled the jobs that ended up being taken by the 700+k that the Home Office ended up letting into the country anyway.

The entire anti-immigration stance of the Home Office & all that cruelty heaped on both asylum seekers & legal immigrants was all for nothing - pointless posturing that was dumped the moment it became clear that the economy couldn’t function without immigration.

Of course solving the problem by fixing the asylum backlog was anathema to the last government, so they fixed it by letting in a huge pile of people from elsewhere whilst simultaneously spending ungodly amounts on money (£6.4billion!! Just incredible) on warehousing the asylum seekers they refused to process.

Madness.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    edited July 30
    Is it me, or is it a touch bad-tempered today, whilst I've been away supervising gas engineers, and wincing at the cost of Thermostatically Controlled Bath Shower Mixers?

I feel a need for a pineapple-topped pizza.

My photo quota today is a new Olympic Sport - autobalance. It's a valid sport even though a judge is present. I'm not sure which country this is. I have lots of ideas for other events.

I was quite taken by a suggestion in a trying-hard-but-not-quite-getting-there suggestion from the CIHT that rising bollards should have a bleep-warning for VIPs (Visually Impaired People) before they rise. Not totally convinced that that is to the left on the pareto chart.

* Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,327
    Another 4th for the UK in the women's team final for gymnastics. There have been some exceptional results but this is still coming across to me as the nearly games so far.
    ydoethur said:

Lozza Fox is getting involved, talking about the need 'to permanently remove Islam from Great Britain. Completely and entirely'.

The rest of us are just thinking of how beneficial it would be for him to be completely permanently removed from public discourse.
    He clearly needs to raise some money given that Lozza managed to open up a whole new set of libel claims last Friday. Won’t go into the details for obvious reasons
    edited July 30
    Betfair VP market now basically pointless, everything cleared out by arbs with polymarket (or somewhere else).

Definite moves on latter.

(Anyway I won't spam this thread any more, unless prices get REALLY exciting. Anyone who wants to actually politically bet is sufficiently alerted now I think :) )

eek said:

Mortimer said:

stodge said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Erm...

YouGov
    @YouGov
    ·
    45m

Yep.

Shooting the messenger dosen't help anyone.

Just because I report what I observe dosent mean I am one of those millions.

There is a big problem and much more burying in the sand and we will get a real fascist getting power before too many more decades pass.
    I’m merely the messenger doesn’t wash, mate…
    edited July 30
    FF43 said:

If Robert Jenrick is selected by the Conservatives what are the risks of him being felled by sleaze/corruption allegations?

eg https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/article/comment/robert-jenrick-affair-has-potential-do-lasting-damage-government

Presumably Labour now have access to previously withheld documents.

If he was he would already have been when he was a Minister.

It is not as if there isn't stuff in Starmer's past either CCHQ could use if Labour went really dirty
    viewcode said:

Sport, my arse.
    Guns are not evil. I used t love shooting at school, and have never aimed a gun at a living (or dead) creature.

Trap or target shooting is a sport; it is about precision, timing and skill. If table tennis is a sport, so is shooting.
    Boxing most definitely IS evil, glorification of violence against the person!
    Your franchise blew up Alderaan! A planet containing literally some people!
    I find your lack of faith disturbing!

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Give your head a wobble.

Thanks.

What "lashing out?" - in the real world, some people may have booed Starmer. The booing may or may not have been motivated by upset over this event.

Booing is quite clearly inside the list of acceptable actions in a social democracy, for expressing an opinion.
    The supposedly 100k who attended Tommy Robinson this weekend were lashing out, albeit in a different way. The 14% of people who voted Reform last month - again, I'd say they were lashing out.

I am a pretty easy going guy and I'd say the UK is bloody brilliant when it comes to people from all walks of life integrating and rubbing shoulders - but it feels like that is changing. I'd argue it's markedly less safe to be visibly Jewish or queer in the last few years, for example.

Again, I'd point you to the earlier post in the thread that the UK is descending into sectarianism - communities that don't integrate or understand each other. That is a massive failing of several successive governments.
    MattW said:

Is it me, or is it a touch bad-tempered today, whilst I've been away supervising gas engineers?

I feel a need for a pineapple-topped pizza.

My photo quota today is a new Olympic Sport - autobalance. It's a valid sport even though a judge is present. I'm not sure which country this is. I have lots of ideas for other events.

I was quite taken by a suggestion in a trying-hard-but-not-quite-getting-there suggestion from the CIHT that rising bollards should have a bleep-warning for VIPs (Visually Impaired People) before they rise. Not totally convinced that that is to the left on the pareto chart.

* Chartered Institute of Highways and Transportation.

Yeah, it’s been right cranky the last couple of days.

Dead children are secondary to people either wanting to bash migration, or as has happened today, wanting to sneer at a frightened community who dared to boo Starmer.

On a plus note the cycle route I use to work has had in the last couple of weeks a lot of work to not only improve access to it but also to remove the nasty bits where roots prose through the pathway.
    eek said:

ydoethur said:

The rest of us are just thinking of how beneficial it would be for him to be completely permanently removed from public discourse.
    He clearly needs to raise some money given that Lozza managed to open up a whole new set of libel claims last Friday. Won’t go into the details for obvious reasons
    Did he ?

Oops !!
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,731

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Give your head a wobble.

Thanks.

Racial tensions can be temporary, such as when a large number of West Indians came and cultural grating, occured, particularly with youths.

However there was enough common culture (and goodwill) to enable integration within a generation or two.

However, when there is no cultural commonality, and a strong religious culture of a different religion which is all encompasing and frowns on marriage to outsiders, you end up with segregation.

What we are now seeing is a Falls and Bogside in many mainland cities and the working class native population reacting by starting to go all Shankhill/Riverside."
    Only 2% of Rwandans are Muslim, with 90% either Catholic or Protestant, so a religious motivation is unlikely.

Cannabis induced paranoia and psychosis wouldn't surprise me though.
    Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Give your head a wobble.

Thanks.

Only 2% of Rwandans are Muslim, with 90% either Catholic or Protestant, so a religious motivation is unlikely.

Are we talking about the murderer, the hecklers or Laurence Fox?
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    Badernoch:

"At least three officials found her behaviour so traumatising that they felt they had no other choice but to leave, sources claimed."

Guardian

Why would you do that? These cabinet ministers were being replaced every six months. Why not wait it out?

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Give your head a wobble.

Thanks.

I can see your point, but that's always been the case. See black people being blamed for crimes - or the fear of crimes - back as far as the 1960s, well before 'unchecked mass immigration'.

In the minds of the brainless, it's always the fault of 'others'; and that's nearly always minorities.
    But what if, occasionally, the “bigoted viewpoint” is true?

Rape and violence have gone through the roof in Sweden. And it isn’t thanks to “ethnic swedes” taking up bombing
    Foxy said:

kyf_100 said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

kyf_100 said:

Nunu5 said:

Liam Gotting
    @GlobalGotting

@LBC

@LBCNews

Give your head a wobble.

Thanks.

Ok so wait, you’re allowed to wildly speculate, but anyone else that does is a racist? Got that
This discussion has been closed.