Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The choice of running mate by Kamala Harris could be crucial – politicalbetting.com

123457»

Comments

• You lot really don’t want Priti Patel to win the Tory leadership because if she does I will not shut up about the fact I tipped her at 33/1.

https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2024/02/18/i-agree-with-david-gauke/

OGH backed Obama at twice those odds. And, if I remember correctly, he never mentioned it once. A classy gentleman.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

Can anyone explain to me why a man being kicked in the head by a police officer is a bigger story than a soldier in uniform being stabbed up to seventy times. I notice the latter is no longer on the BBC front page.

I have my own suspicions but I've never been involved in news production.

It’s a fucking disgrace is what it is. The guardian doesn’t even mention the poor soldier. At all. Despite audio of his wife screaming in hellish agony as her husband is stabbed SEVENTY TIMES by an alleged terrorist who then licks the blood off his knife

The copper with the boot is story 4. The guardian is far far worse than the daily mail. Waaaaay more damaging to British society
    Really ! Given some of the loathsome front pages from the DM over the years I think you’re talking tripe .
    Go look at the guardian website now. Copper with boot major story. Poor stabbed soldier - invisible
    Does this help?
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jul/24/kent-soldier-stabbing-police
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    edited July 24
    "Former Speaker Nancy Pelosi as decidedly not a fan of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s speech today.

In a post on X, she described it as “by far the worst presentation of any foreign dignitary invited and honored with the privilege of addressing the Congress of the United States.""

https://www.politico.com/live-updates/2024/07/24/congress/pelosi-bails-on-bibi-00170842
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,534

DougSeal said:

Here’s the BBC U.K. News front page screenshot from 5 minutes ago -

(1) The homepage doesn't feature it. (2) Neither does the main news page in any prominence. But if you click on UK news it becomes the number (3) one story. (4) Strange.
    1. It does.

2. Based on what you've said about 1) - wut? It does.

3. So... it's the no1. story for the UK? But not "the entire planet"? Is that... wrong?

4. It's really not. Especially when we have 5G to worry about.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,965

Andy_JS said:

MSNBC focus group of Wisconsin women is not good for Harris:

https://x.com/dailycaller/status/1816174590801915951

You've made quite a big category mistake. This is a focus group of Trump-supporting women voters, not independent or floating voters.
    Andy_JS said:

You've made quite a big category mistake. This is a focus group of Trump-supporting women voters, not independent or floating voters.
    Nevertheless I expect Kamala to be bigged up on here over the next few months, and Trump support to be played down, because that’s what people want to happen.

The market, though, is one bitten twice shy.
    Like the Roman emperor who had a slave whisper the words "momento mori" into his ear as he savoured his triumph, we need to whisper the words "Hilary Clinton" into the ears of the Kamala rampers.

Clinton was sane, competent, conscientious, had a track record of public service and was a normally decent person against Donald Trump who was none of those things. It counted for nothing. She lost.

Now I think Harris has some attributes that Clinton lacked in addition to all those good things.

Nevertheless. "Hilary Clinton"
    Trump describes Harris as a lunatic in North Carolina speech he's giving atm.
    Leon said:

Can anyone explain to me why a man being kicked in the head by a police officer is a bigger story than a soldier in uniform being stabbed up to seventy times. I notice the latter is no longer on the BBC front page.

It’s a fucking disgrace is what it is. The guardian doesn’t even mention the poor soldier. At all. Despite audio of his wife screaming in hellish agony as her husband is stabbed SEVENTY TIMES by an alleged terrorist who then licks the blood off his knife

The copper with the boot is story 4. The guardian is far far worse than the daily mail. Waaaaay more damaging to British society
    If only more people read The Spectator they've be right on this travesty.

• Andy_JS said:

This election is going to be like those two old professors in "History Today" (mary whitehouse experience) isn't it?
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954
    Wow. Labour whips said to domestic abuse survivor MP that if you don't vote with the government on the child benefit vote then her laws around domestic abuse will not be supported.
    https://x.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1816152880199422133
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,607

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

Really ! Given some of the loathsome front pages from the DM over the years I think you’re talking tripe .
    Go look at the guardian website now. Copper with boot major story. Poor stabbed soldier - invisible
    Does this help?
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/article/2024/jul/24/kent-soldier-stabbing-police
    The terror vs mental health distinction in reporting is quite strange.

We've elevated the importance of motive to such an extent that objectively terrifying events are downplayed if the perpetrator is judged to be just having an episode, as though it's one of those things that we just have to put up with.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Andy_JS said:

So much for the mellower, reflective New Trump.

Which lasted for about, what, 45 minutes during first part of his GOP nomination acceptance speech.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,550
    ohnotnow said:

DougSeal said:

(1) The homepage doesn't feature it. (2) Neither does the main news page in any prominence. But if you click on UK news it becomes the number (3) one story. (4) Strange.
    1. It does.

3. So... it's the no1. story for the UK? But not "the entire planet"? Is that... wrong?

Well I couldn't find it on the homepage. Perhaps if you scroll down far enough but it had no prominence at all. As for the overall news page, several UK stories were given greater prominence.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,250
    ohnotnow said:

DougSeal said:

1. It does.

From here in France BBC.com news page features “head kicking copper” at ranking 4 in “world news”. No sign of “severely stabbed soldier” at all

So I scroll down to UK news - and the soldier isn’t there, either

The story is being suppressed in certain media. For reasons we can only guess at
    Andy_JS said:

Don't think that will gain traction. Doesn't ring true.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Nevertheless I expect Kamala to be bigged up on here over the next few months, and Trump support to be played down, because that’s what people want to happen.

Like the Roman emperor who had a slave whisper the words "momento mori" into his ear as he savoured his triumph, we need to whisper the words "Hilary Clinton" into the ears of the Kamala rampers.

Clinton was sane, competent, conscientious, had a track record of public service and was a normally decent person against Donald Trump who was none of those things. It counted for nothing. She lost.

Now I think Harris has some attributes that Clinton lacked in addition to all those good things.

Yes Harris still faces a real battle to win. Running up big totals in more liberal states will count for nothing if she can’t win those swing states .

She has though made a good start and at least brought some enthusiasm back to Dem voters .

Sophy Ridge
    @SophyRidgeSky
    SEVEN candidates have asked for & been given Tory leadership packs so far:

James Cleverly
    Priti Patel
    Robert Jenrick
    Kemi Badenoch
    Tom Tugendhat
    Mel Stride
    Suella Braverman

Not exactly 5* recruits.
    Mel Stride is a weird one. He's obviously a pawn sacrifice for the wet faction.

Kemi being a Goveite plant, I would have imagined the plan is to get a leftie vs. Kemi, Kemi wins.

But if they're worried about Kemi going rogue, then it really looks desperate. Stride, Tugendhat and Cleverly are fairly uninspiring choices.
    I've told you many times Michael and Kemi have had a major falling out.

She isn't a Goveite plant.
    I don't dispute that you've heard what you've heard, and if true, it would certainly jazz things up. It's about an affair, right?

But I also don't think a private spat would necessarily derail what is essentially a political project.
    Michael Gove had a sexual relationship with a married friend of Kemi’s which ended the marriage.
    It's remarkable he finds anyone willing to have a sexual relationship with him, tbh.
    Hence ending up in Aberdonian disco's dad-dancing. Bless him, it's all he's got left to try. "I used to be an Education minister. Yes. The one who said that.".

Not the best chat-up line.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,061
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

"competent"? They didn't know the rules of the contest and went on holiday in the middle of it!
    FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Hillary Clinton also had worse political instincts than Larry the Cat.

Which she displayed several times as FLOTUS, and in numerous instances afterward. Got elected US Senator because her successor, Daniel Patrick Moynihan, was briefly her political mentor and told her exactly what to do, and how to do it, to win statewide.

Apparently winning that race convinced HC that she was a political genius in her own right, and did NOT need competent advice.

Kamala Harris is a LONG way away from that kind of political malpractice.

HOWEVER, someone should still keep whispering into KH's ear . . . just to keep her on her toes . . . and on guard.
    edited July 24
    Leon said:

ohnotnow said:

DougSeal said:

1. It does.

From here in France BBC.com news page features “head kicking copper” at ranking 4 in “world news”. No sign of “severely stabbed soldier” at all

So I scroll down to UK news - and the soldier isn’t there, either

The story is being suppressed in certain media. For reasons we can only guess at
    The screenshot I posted earlier is the view the bbc website gives me of the news headlines. I've tried it from a UK IP address and a Dutch one with different browsers. Both show the same thing. So maybe it's only being suppressed for some people. For reasons we can only guess at.
    Andy_JS said:

I wonder if Harris might do a Starmer 2024, ie. winning lots of states by small margins, including ones the Republicans are expecting to carry at the moment.

Unlikely she will do better than Biden. The fact the Dems are competitive this election despite the massive inflation and interest rate rises over the last 4 years, speaks to the crapness of the modern GOP.
  • Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

Does this help?
    The terror vs mental health distinction in reporting is quite strange.

We've elevated the importance of motive to such an extent that objectively terrifying events are downplayed if the perpetrator is judged to be just having an episode, as though it's one of those things that we just have to put up with.
    In this case it will decide if he spends the rest of his life in Belmarsh or Broadmoor.

ohnotnow said:

DougSeal said:

1. It does.

Well I couldn't find it on the homepage. Perhaps if you scroll down far enough but it had no prominence at all. As for the overall news page, several UK stories were given greater prominence.
    Multiple people have shown you screenshots of their BBC homepages with the story featuring prominently or first. I'm not sure why you're fighting to die on this hill.

Not 100% sure.
  • YokesYokes Posts: 1,310
    Im aware that when it comes to the POTUS election the profile of posters here leans notably Democrat so I can understand the enthusiasm and in some sense elation that the Democrats have got Biden off the ticket, something you can see amongst Democrat supporters in the US too.

This wave of positivity however has one rather large obstruction looming and its one that I have seen barely a mention off on here. Its the economy. The official figures suggest the US is powering on but a lot of the Joe Averages simply don't feel that way. Across the voting blocs, thats the big issue, inflation, prices, the economy. Saying inflation 2% now fails to account for the large rises that have come through in the last two years.

Thats a major problem for the incumbent. Some sense of relief there, whether real or imagined, is vital.
    viewcode said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

"competent"? They didn't know the rules of the contest and went on holiday in the middle of it!
    I mean she had various high powered jobs and did them. Unlike Trump. Clinton certainly didn't lose the election because she went on a holiday. In any case Trump is vastly lazier than she was. How many times was he on the golf course when he was supposed to be carrying out the basic function of his office, while Clinton literally put the miles in as Secretary of State.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,550
    ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

DougSeal said:

1. It does.

Multiple people have shown you screenshots of their BBC homepages with the story featuring prominently or first. I'm not sure why you're fighting to die on this hill.

Not 100% sure.
    The screenshot was of UK news. We have established it was the number one story there. But not on the BBC Homepage or the overall News homepage. Happy now?
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    TimS said:

TimS said:

dixiedean said:

Muesli said:

Sophy Ridge
    @SophyRidgeSky

James Cleverly
    Priti Patel
    Robert Jenrick
    Kemi Badenoch
    Tom Tugendhat
    Mel Stride
    Suella Braverman

Not exactly 5* recruits.

Kemi being a Goveite plant, I would have imagined the plan is to get a leftie vs. Kemi, Kemi wins.

But if they're worried about Kemi going rogue, then it really looks desperate. Stride, Tugendhat and Cleverly are fairly uninspiring choices.

Sophy Ridge
    @SophyRidgeSky

James Cleverly
    Priti Patel
    Robert Jenrick
    Kemi Badenoch
    Tom Tugendhat
    Mel Stride
    Suella Braverman

Not exactly 5* recruits.

I’ve heard Kemi falls out with a lot of people.
    One of the rumours I have heard is one of her ministers may do an Ann Widdecombe to her Michael Howard.

May even be about the Post Office scandal.
    Saying there’s ‘something of the night’ about Kemi Badenoch could prove, um, controversial.
    That was just such a cracking phrase. One which, when analysed, cannot really be logically explained. But one which had just about everyone nodding along.
    It summed up an overall impression. They are always best.
    One of Dave’s better jokes was that quote was misinterpreted, Ann Widdecombe was praising Michael Howard

‘There’s something of the knight about him.’
    It was of course a very effective phrase because it drew on culturally deeply embedded antisemitic imagery. Whether done intentionally or not (and I suspect intentionally, given her Catholicism), the power of the antisemitic trope is that it’s so woven into European psychology that people don’t notice it’s happening. They just “get” that of course there is something of the night about him.
    Sounds like bollocks to me Tim.

I wasn't aware Michael Howard was Jewish but the 'something of the night' comment made sense to me - he just seemed to have an aura of menace.
    As I said, that’s the power of antisemitic tropes. They are often subconscious. Certainly a lot of British Jewish commentators felt it at the time.

Is Christopher Lee Jewish? A rare stupid post from you. Michaerl howard didn't want it to be known he was Jewish until it suited him
    edited July 24
    ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

DougSeal said:

1. It does.

Not 100% sure.
    I’ve just told you the situation of the bbc news as seen from France. @FrankBooth is right. A more
    important story - stabbed soldier - is being suppressed in favour of a less important story - angry manc copper - which better fits the progressive news agenda of yer typical bbc news editor. This is not news. It happens constantly
    nico679 said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes Harris still faces a real battle to win. Running up big totals in more liberal states will count for nothing if she can’t win those swing states .

She has though made a good start and at least brought some enthusiasm back to Dem voters .

I think Harris' advantage over Clinton is she's a tough debater from having been a prosecutor. She will be happy to take on Trump. He's not used to that.
    Yokes said:

Im aware that when it comes to the POTUS election the profile of posters here leans notably Democrat so I can understand the enthusiasm and in some sense elation that the Democrats have got Biden off the ticket, something you can see amongst Democrat supporters in the US too.

This wave of positivity however has one rather large obstruction looming and its one that I have seen barely a mention off on here. Its the economy. The official figures suggest the US is powering on but a lot of the Joe Averages simply don't feel that way. Across the voting blocs, thats the big issue, inflation, prices, the economy. Saying inflation 2% now fails to account for the large rises that have come through in the last two years.

Thats a major problem for the incumbent. Some sense of relief there, whether real or imagined, is vital.

Kamala Harris ain't the incumbent POTUS, however she's what you might call a functional incumbent, she's lashed to the mast of the SS Biden-Harris Administration.

And the US economy is probably the biggest issue working against her right now - and Trump being the biggest working in her favor.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229
    dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I wonder if Harris might do a Starmer 2024, ie. winning lots of states by small margins, including ones the Republicans are expecting to carry at the moment.

More importantly, losing votes in California (but not enough that she has to worry about losing the state) but gaining them in middle America.
    Well, that's broadly what happened at the midterms: the Democrat vote got more efficient because they lost share disproportionately in New York and California.

It's entirely possible it happens again in November.
    Would laugh my ass off if Trump won the EV but lost the EC.
    That's a bet I recommended about 18 months ago.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,977
    ohnotnow said:

Sophy Ridge
    @SophyRidgeSky

James Cleverly
    Priti Patel
    Robert Jenrick
    Kemi Badenoch
    Tom Tugendhat
    Mel Stride
    Suella Braverman

Not exactly 5* recruits.

I don't dispute that you've heard what you've heard, and if true, it would certainly jazz things up. It's about an affair, right?

But I also don't think a private spat would necessarily derail what is essentially a political project.
    Michael Gove had a sexual relationship with a married friend of Kemi’s which ended the marriage.
    It's remarkable he finds anyone willing to have a sexual relationship with him, tbh.
    Hence ending up in Aberdonian disco's dad-dancing. Bless him, it's all he's got left to try. "I used to be an Education minister. Yes. The one who said that.".

Not the best chat-up line.
    Not the worst either though.
    FF43 said:

nico679 said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

I think Harris' advantage over Clinton is she's a tough debater from having been a prosecutor. She will be happy to take on Trump. He's not used to that.
    Yes I think Trump could suffer badly in a debate with Harris. She’s not Einstein but she’s sane and clever and quite personable

edited July 24
    OTOH this shit is terrible for Kamala

“Leftist protesters in DC chant “Allahu Akbar!” as they burn an American flag”

https://x.com/theblaze/status/1816196513032233035?s=46&t=bulOICNH15U6kB0MwE6Lfw
    "Obama doesn’t believe Kamala Harris can beat Trump, which is why he hasn’t endorsed her: sources"

https://nypost.com/2024/07/24/us-news/obama-doesnt-believe-kamala-harris-can-beat-trump-sources/
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    One things for sure for us political junkies in here the US election just got a lot more interesting .
    Leon said:

Imagine if you'd shown scenes like that to people just after 9/11 and told them that would be America's future 20 years later.

Leon said:

Imagine if you'd shown scenes like that to people just after 9/11 and told them that would be America's future 20 years later.
    Imagine if you’d told Brits in 1994 that in 30 years time a British teacher would have to spend his whole life in hiding because he showed some kids a cartoon of “the prophet” - like we are back in the 14th century

The west has destroyed itself. I am in quiet despair
    at what we have done. There seems no obvious route out which is not extremely violent and apocalyptic
    It may come as a surprise for some PBers, but flag burning was a BIG issue in the 1988 POTUS campaign. As it had been a thing - though hardly a popular thing - in USA since the Vietnam War.

Mike Dukakis blew his post-convention lead by discussing the subject from a legalistic perspective, as constitutionally-protected free speech. While George Bush the Elder spent the same period touring factories making flags, surrounded by the Stars and Stripes and proudly patriotic flag-makers.

Kamala Harris will make mistakes on the campaign trail . . . but NOT that kind of mistake.
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,504

Sophy Ridge
    @SophyRidgeSky

James Cleverly
    Priti Patel
    Robert Jenrick
    Kemi Badenoch
    Tom Tugendhat
    Mel Stride
    Suella Braverman

Not exactly 5* recruits.

Who was he?

Sophy Ridge
    @SophyRidgeSky

James Cleverly
    Priti Patel
    Robert Jenrick
    Kemi Badenoch
    Tom Tugendhat
    Mel Stride
    Suella Braverman

Not exactly 5* recruits.

Who was he?
    Bob Boothby?
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,504
    ohnotnow said:

Leon said:

If only more people read The Spectator they've be right on this travesty.

‘Our ramping up the alleged Islamist threat to the British way of life correspondent is currently away’
    The pro Hamas stuff at the DC rally could kill Kamala in week one
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,061

Sophy Ridge
    @SophyRidgeSky

James Cleverly
    Priti Patel
    Robert Jenrick
    Kemi Badenoch
    Tom Tugendhat
    Mel Stride
    Suella Braverman

Not exactly 5* recruits.

Who was he?
    I don't think the sex of the married friend has ever been mentioned
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,768

Nigelb said:

Ha. Media reports that Buttigieg is also among those officially being considered for the VO slot.

"Officially condsidered" and actually under consideration being TWO different things.

As we learned re: Marco Rubio who was on the VP shortlist announced by Trump campaign.

In his case, the constitutional limitation on Electors voting for more than ONE national ticket candidate clearly made him unavailable, unless Sen. Rubio was willing to move to some other state. REAL reason he was on list, was to appeal to Latino voters - hey, Trump gave one of us serious consideration.

Yeah, right. Or rather, wrong.

No such structural impediment for Buttigieg. However, not only has he NOT be lighting the woods on fire with a Sec. of Trans (!) but he's changed his home state similar to the way Hillary Clinton used to change her baseball caps.

Plus Harris needs another Biden administration insider as running mate, as much as she needs to adopt Hunter OR vouch for the former Secret Service chief.

IMHO the real reason why Buttigieg's name as suddenly popped up, is so Harris campaign can say to LGBT voters & donors - hey, Harris gave one of us serious consideration.
    I didn't say he's any more likely to get it than any of the rest of them. Just helps my book.
    But I disagree with your assessment, FWIW.
    edited July 24

"Obama doesn’t believe Kamala Harris can beat Trump, which is why he hasn’t endorsed her: sources"

https://nypost.com/2024/07/24/us-news/obama-doesnt-believe-kamala-harris-can-beat-trump-sources/

Obama has got this wrong.
    Andy_JS said:

There's no point of him endorsing now. Hell endorse in October when everyone is paying attention, and campaign fever reaches fever pitch. He will endorse.
    Ever so slightly weird combination of headlines from the BBC.

"Soldier stabbed in 'frenzy' and no plans for new 1p or 2p coins"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cxe21rpp0vjo
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

Also currently true of the BBC.

Which might well be because it seems the original widespread assumptions about the story are possibly wrong, and they are waiting for an update.

See also the print headlines
    The Daily Mail leads with a story about copper coinage.

Are they dripping poison too ?
    Or are you ?

ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

DougSeal said:

1. It does.

Not 100% sure.
    The screenshot was of UK news. We have established it was the number one story there. But not on the BBC Homepage or the overall News homepage. Happy now?
    The thing is the soldier isn't dead (thankfully). He's in a serious but stable condition. And the police said it was a mad man not terror related. They might be wrong but that is what the BBC have to go with. Those are two reasons why it isn't reported as prominently as we might expect
    Nunu5 said:

ohnotnow said:

ohnotnow said:

DougSeal said:

1. It does.

Not 100% sure.
    The thing is the soldier isn't dead (thankfully). He's in a serious but stable condition. And the police said it was a mad man not terror related. They might be wrong but that is what the BBC have to go with. Those are two reasons why it isn't reported as prominently as we might expect
    According to some of the papers, stabbed "up to twelve times" (not seventy), so he's lucky to survive the attack - fingers crossed that continues to be the case.
    rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

More importantly, losing votes in California (but not enough that she has to worry about losing the state) but gaining them in middle America.
    Well, that's broadly what happened at the midterms: the Democrat vote got more efficient because they lost share disproportionately in New York and California.

I can't find anywhere to bet on it though. I'd also like to bet on Harris getting 350 ECVs but again not available.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,279
    edited July 25
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Leon said:

Also currently true of the BBC.

Which might well be because it seems the original widespread assumptions about the story are possibly wrong, and they are waiting for an update.

See also the print headlines
    The Daily Mail leads with a story about copper coinage.

Are they dripping poison too ?
    Or are you ?
    Has anyone found out whether they gave failed to order new copper coinage due to an order or a wink from the government, or just because of cash usage patterns?
    If you want to claim indefensible journalism, bring the receipts that show it's indefensible.

As, for example, here.
    And the most shameless columnist award goes to … Jason Riley of the Wall Street Journal!
    https://x.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1816199001688965381
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I can't find anywhere to bet on it though. I'd also like to bet on Harris getting 350 ECVs but again not available.
    You can bet separately on the popular vote winner and the winner of the election, though.

I think number of ECVs might be available closer to November ?
    Andy_JS said:

Or the NY Post has.
    Irony expert Liz Truss opines on world affairs.

"Liz Truss: "I think there have been some brilliant American women in politics, but I don't think Kamala Harris is one of them.""

https://x.com/wallstreetcar/status/1815862631367893164
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    edited July 25
    Andy_JS said:

Irony expert Liz Truss opines on world affairs.

"Liz Truss: "I think there have been some brilliant American women in politics, but I don't think Kamala Harris is one of them.""

https://x.com/wallstreetcar/status/1815862631367893164

Is she more of an AOC lover...or more likely Marjorie Taylor Greene.
    "Kamala Harris' great-great-great-great grandfather was 'notorious' Irish slave owner who bought Jamaican plantation and travelled to London to fight abolition, historian claims"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13662555/Kamala-Harris-great-great-great-great-grandfather-notorious-Irish-slave-owner.html
    Andy_JS said:

"Kamala Harris' great-great-great-great grandfather was 'notorious' Irish slave owner who bought Jamaican plantation and travelled to London to fight abolition, historian claims"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13662555/Kamala-Harris-great-great-great-great-grandfather-notorious-Irish-slave-owner.html

What percentage of people today who are of African American (or African Caribbean) heritage, are also related to White slave owners? Who quite often had sexual relations with their property with or generally without consent.

Personally cannot give a number or percentage. Except to say that it's NOT a small percentage, more like a BIG number.
    I posted the Daily Mail story not because I like it but in order to show how stupid it is.
    Andy_JS said:

I posted the Daily Mail story not because I like it but in order to show how stupid it is.

My son, I absolve you of the DM's sins, your penance is to sign up for Truth Social.

Suspect that Kamala Harris's Irish heritage, will make her WAY more popular in Ireland, than Donald Trump is in Scotland.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    Nunu5 said:

Wow. Labour whips said to domestic abuse survivor MP that if you don't vote with the government on the child benefit vote then her laws around domestic abuse will not be supported.
    https://x.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1816152880199422133

Suspending the whip is fine, but bringing that up does Labour no favours at all. Can't see her going back after bringing that up publicly either.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,473
    In unimportant local news, we were out on a bike ride yesterday when we saw a biplane fly over, with a helicopter close behind. Apparently Tom Cruise was in the plane, filming Mission Impossible 8.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,875
    Hmm.

Completely free access to anyone with a (.edu quoted, assume they mean .ac.uk too) email address to anyone reading the Telegraph,

https://telegraph.co.uk/customer/subscribe/students/

Have they noticed who is not reading them?
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,324
    Democrat gaslighting award of the day goes to Chuck Schumer.

“From the grass roots, bottom up, we are here today to throw our support behind Vice-President Kamala Harris. [claps]. I’m clapping, you don’t have to”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP-_TPV-WGY

No, Sen. Schumer, Harris was picked by the sitting President, and quickly endorsed by almost all of the Dem Senators, Governors, and Congressmen. Selected by the party elites, from the top down, without anything as democratic as a contest or any alternative point of view being allowed.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,741
    Sandpit said:

“From the grass roots, bottom up, we are here today to throw our support behind Vice-President Kamala Harris. [claps]. I’m clapping, you don’t have to”

No, Sen. Schumer, Harris was picked by the sitting President, and quickly endorsed by almost all of the Dem Senators, Governors, and Congressmen. Selected by the party elites, from the top down, without anything as democratic as a contest or any alternative point of view being allowed.

There seems no serious objection though, and makes for a much more united party.

She is going to push Trump very hard and might even win. A decisive win would be good for democracy, but unlikely.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,741
    A new memo out from the Harris campaign this morning:

• $126 million raised since Sunday

• Over 1.4 million grassroots donors made donations since Sunday

• Nearly 2,000 applied to work for the campaign in the first 24 hours, and over 100,000 people have signed up to volunteer since Sunday

https://x.com/casssemyon/status/1816073220568625358?t=mZ-mxSiF8dgPvuI4IrTAiQ&s=19
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,576
    Foxy said:

• Nearly 2,000 applied to work for the campaign in the first 24 hours, and over 100,000 people have signed up to volunteer since Sunday

https://x.com/casssemyon/status/1816073220568625358?t=mZ-mxSiF8dgPvuI4IrTAiQ&s=19

She’s definitely got the big mo.
  • kamskikamski Posts: 5,045
    Sandpit said:

If that's the worst thing you can find from Democrats you need to try harder.
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

There seems no serious objection though, and makes for a much more united party.

She is going to push Trump very hard and might even win. A decisive win would be good for democracy, but unlikely.
    Oh very much so, the Dem party seems to be in a much better place than it was a week or two ago. That the elites of the party all agree on a candidate is good for themselves, if not for the grass-roots supporters who might have wanted a choice.

But a lot of donations that were withheld from Biden have now come in, over $100m of them, and this week’s polling has Harris doing better than Biden was in the past few weeks. Some of the VP picks mentioned, especially Mark Kelly and Josh Shapiro, would appeal to centrist swing voters who might otherwise consider supporting Trump.

The Trump campaign was obviously all geared up to fight Biden, so is going to have to take some time to regroup, and the media focus for the next few weeks with be on the Democrats building up to their Convention mid-August.

I think it could be pretty close between the candidates come November, but as usual it depends on what exactly happens in a handful of swing states. Harris will pile up votes in California and New York, but needs to win in Arizona and Georgia.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,149
    RobD said:

Foxy said:

We'd need to know how it compares to the baseline of where we'd expect a competing democratic candidate to be at this stage, and how it also marries up to Trump.

Otherwise it doesn't mean much.
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,149
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

dixiedean said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

The markets on the US presidential are crap.
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,550
    nico679 said:

Harris should turn down a debate on Fox News .

Trump will be given an easy ride and the viewers will award the win to him regardless of what he says .

True but she'll get unfiltered access to get her message to Fox News viewers who don't normally get it. She doesn't need the majority to like her, she just needs to chip away at Trump's margin a bit

RobD said:

Foxy said:

We'd need to know how it compares to the baseline of where we'd expect a competing democratic candidate to be at this stage, and how it also marries up to Trump.

Otherwise it doesn't mean much.
    The video I linked above has a CNN commentary of this week’s polling, that shows Harris ahead of where Biden was this year, but still some way behind where Biden was at the 2020 election.

Obviously the polling is going to take a couple of weeks to adjust, as these things always do, but it definitely looks like the Dems made the right decision to switch candidate. Harris is a very blank sheet of paper though, she’s been very quiet in the role of VP and most Americans really don’t know her. In contrast, there’s only around 3% who don’t have a view on her opponent.
    Foxy said:

Sandpit said:

Schumer's comments have also to be seen in the context of his being among the party 'elites' who wanted to see some sort of mini primary.
    It might have happened had there been insufficient backing for Harris - but his group got overtaken by events (and he was among the last to endorse Harris).
    Okay, before I run off and do work, one hilarious take on the events of the past couple of weeks from fast-paced comedian Andrew Schulz, and he’s not afraid to offend absolutely everyone.

https://x.com/andrewschulz/status/1816151001092780497

(Does feature a couple of F-words, if you’re having breakfast with your kids).

nico679 said:

Harris should turn down a debate on Fox News .

Trump will be given an easy ride and the viewers will award the win to him regardless of what he says .

True but she'll get unfiltered access to get her message to Fox News viewers who don't normally get it. She doesn't need the majority to like her, she just needs to chip away at Trump's margin a bit
    Buttigieg has fairly consistently shown that you can get you message across on Fox, if you're smarter than their no so bright presenters.
    Though admittedly a presidential debate is another level of pressure.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,875
    edited July 25
    The lack of effective insults from Trump and his Trumptons seems telling to me.

He can't go directly for racism or misogyny, so all I have seen so far is "lying Kamala".
    Quite a creative way of using the Crown Estate to leverage additional financing for offshore wind.
    https://www.theguardian.com/environment/article/2024/jul/25/offshore-wind-to-power-20m-homes-within-five-years-starmer-to-pledge
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,573
    edited July 25
    Andy_JS said:

A few minutes ago I was reading something about Chris Huhne on Wikipedia post a libel case and apparently Wikipedia has banned the use of the Daily Mail as a source of truth. Sounds bang on to me as I wouldn't trust anything the Mail said. Can anyone verify its exclusion on Wiki svp?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    MattW said:

The lack of effective insults from Trump and his Trumptons seems telling to me.

He can't go directly for racism or misogyny, so all I have seen so far is "lying Kamala".

Has Harris been accused of lying about anything in particular, or is it just the first word that came into his addled head?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,525

NEW THREAD

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,632

Andy_JS said:

A few minutes ago I was reading something about Chris Huhne on Wikipedia post a libel case and apparently Wikipedia has banned the use of the Daily Mail as a source of truth. Sounds bang on to me as I wouldn't trust anything the Mail said. Can anyone verify its exclusion on Wiki svp?
    It’s never been permitted as a source for living people, because it’s not reliable enough in checking its stories and leaves itself open to libel suits. Usually the Mail isn’t targeted because it’s so powerful, but Wikipedia is more nervous.

But then only four papers - the most recent broadsheets, which weirdly still includes the Telegraph - are considered reliable for BLPs (as Wikipedia call them).

It should be OK to use the Mail for other articles.
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 25
    Deleted
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,426
    FF43 said:

viewcode said:

FF43 said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

I mean she had various high powered jobs and did them. Unlike Trump. Clinton certainly didn't lose the election because she went on a holiday. In any case Trump is vastly lazier than she was. How many times was he on the golf course when he was supposed to be carrying out the basic function of his office, while Clinton literally put the miles in as Secretary of State.
    Taking a holiday while trying to get elected to the presidency is just stupid. Especially when it was to stay with friends in the Hamptons.

There is a story that Bill Clinton, who was trying to advise her, ended up punching the upholstery in his car, after she’d left. So hard that you could see the car rocking, from a distance….
This discussion has been closed.