Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The choice of running mate by Kamala Harris could be crucial – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• OmniumOmnium Posts: 10,500
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

I have just bought an artisanal cheese knife from juan the blacksmith who fashions daggars and swords from scrap metal in his own forge set in the 12th century walls of the fortified Templar town of Saint Eulalie-de-Cernon

The shards from a fractured, poorly made, cheese knife really detract from the whole cheese experience I find.

(I might consider a Japanese artisanal blacksmiths product, but with that one exception I'd avoid)
    I very much doubt I’m going to use it for cheese. It’s insanely impractical. I will likely make it my new letter opener (for which it is perfect - long and slender)

I have a lot of experience with knives. I’m slightly obsessed

I actually paid £500 for one knife from a dude who forges them from old car parts on Bodmin Moor

https://www.atkinson-art.co.uk/product-category/wolf-dingo-chef-knives-for-valhalla/
    Yeah I remember you mentioning those ages ago.

I'd love to have a few really good knives for cooking, but what I have are fine, and my purchases of the odd expensive knife here and there haven't relaced my simple set.

Bladed weapons are beautiful but scary. You almost never see the real thing (for obvious reasons). I once owned a really nice kukuri but it was stolen.

• ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,632

A reminder that Brexit was as much about stopping future EU authoritarian insanities being imposed on this FREE REALM as about reversing the existing ones.

"The European Union is exploring a controversial proposal to establish a centralized “Asset Register,” a comprehensive database designed to track citizens’ assets across the bloc. This initiative aims to combat money laundering and terrorist financing, but has also raised concerns on privacy and data protection.

The proposed register would encompass a wide range of assets, such as real estate, bank accounts, securities, vehicles, art, and precious metals. The final list will be determined based on the outcomes of a feasibility study and subsequent legislative decisions."

https://coinedition.com/eus-controversial-asset-registry-proposal-sparks-privacy-debate/

Without wanting to destroy your dreams but the UK government is already working on something similar for years.

If you oppose such a measure then you support tax evasion and terrorism.

I am limited to what I can say professionally but it's not just the EU.
    Well, yes. I mean the Domesday Book was 1086.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,552
    ydoethur said:

Fffs said:

Workfare in the United Kingdom is a system of welfare regulations put into effect by UK governments at various times. Individuals subject to workfare must undertake work in return for their welfare benefit payments or risk losing them. Workfare policies are politically controversial (but not among SKS fans)

"The neutrality of this article is disputed."
    Which bit SKS fans are in favour of forcing disabled to people work aren't they.

The NHS advisor they brought in certainly is

But then again Alan Milburn has always been a ****
    Given that disabled now covers millions of people with all sorts of conditions, most of whom are both quite capable of working and likely to benefit (mental health wise) from doing so, what is the issue?

Craig Mckinlay (ex MP) has no arms or legs but I'm sure would be outraged if you say he is incapable of working.

You don't even need to guess. Just look up what he said when Douglas Ross sacked him.
    Wasn't that David Duguid?
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,524
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

I have just bought an artisanal cheese knife from juan the blacksmith who fashions daggars and swords from scrap metal in his own forge set in the 12th century walls of the fortified Templar town of Saint Eulalie-de-Cernon

The shards from a fractured, poorly made, cheese knife really detract from the whole cheese experience I find.

(I might consider a Japanese artisanal blacksmiths product, but with that one exception I'd avoid)
    I very much doubt I’m going to use it for cheese. It’s insanely impractical. I will likely make it my new letter opener (for which it is perfect - long and slender)

I actually paid £500 for one knife from a dude who forges them from old car parts on Bodmin Moor

https://www.atkinson-art.co.uk/product-category/wolf-dingo-chef-knives-for-valhalla/
    I only want a knife forged in the fires of Mount Doom.

ydoethur said:

Fffs said:

Workfare in the United Kingdom is a system of welfare regulations put into effect by UK governments at various times. Individuals subject to workfare must undertake work in return for their welfare benefit payments or risk losing them. Workfare policies are politically controversial (but not among SKS fans)

Which bit SKS fans are in favour of forcing disabled to people work aren't they.

Given that disabled now covers millions of people with all sorts of conditions, most of whom are both quite capable of working and likely to benefit (mental health wise) from doing so, what is the issue?

Craig Mckinlay (ex MP) has no arms or legs but I'm sure would be outraged if you say he is incapable of working.

You don't even need to guess. Just look up what he said when Douglas Ross sacked him.
    Am I muddling up two different MPs who had multiple amputations?

If so I'll admit to being an idiot.
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528

geoffw said:

A reminder that Brexit was as much about stopping future EU authoritarian insanities being imposed on this FREE REALM as about reversing the existing ones.

"The European Union is exploring a controversial proposal to establish a centralized “Asset Register,” a comprehensive database designed to track citizens’ assets across the bloc. This initiative aims to combat money laundering and terrorist financing, but has also raised concerns on privacy and data protection.

The proposed register would encompass a wide range of assets, such as real estate, bank accounts, securities, vehicles, art, and precious metals. The final list will be determined based on the outcomes of a feasibility study and subsequent legislative decisions."

https://coinedition.com/eus-controversial-asset-registry-proposal-sparks-privacy-debate/

The EU's very own doomsday book.

What's the betting this government signs up to it, should it actually happen?

Bonus points for guessing who will be excluded.
    The Royals?

• bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586

Fffs said:

My wife is a quadriplegic as a result of Clinical Negligence.

I will let you tell her going back to work after she has had her bowels manually evacuated and her suprapubic Catheter flushed out will be good for her mental health.

Do you want her to paint railings with a mouth paint brush and will you be available to manually hoist her for the high bits?
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,025
    Trump 44% Harris 43% Kennedy 6%
    @ScottWRasmussen
    survey of 2,000 Registered Voters Conducted by RMG July 22-23, 2024
    https://x.com/RMG_Research/status/1816138148113760708

@RMG_Research
    When we push to see how people lean, it's Trump 48% Harris 46% Kennedy 2%.
    https://x.com/RMG_Research/status/1816138526133453244
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,249
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Yeah I remember you mentioning those ages ago.

I'd love to have a few really good knives for cooking, but what I have are fine, and my purchases of the odd expensive knife here and there haven't relaced my simple set.

Bladed weapons are beautiful but scary. You almost never see the real thing (for obvious reasons). I once owned a really nice kukuri but it was stolen.

I use Ontario Rat knives for cooking, along with my Wolf and Dingos (which have to be cleaned and sharpened every time which is annoying - but they just look and feel so cool)

I’ve just bought two Opinel Sports here in France for picnics and practical shit. Very nice knives for €25!

Still not as wildly robust as my lost spyderco tenacious tho. I’m gonna wait til I go to the USA in September to replace it - buying them in the UK you pay about 4 times what you pay in a decent Walmart

Fffs said:

I will let you tell her going back to work after she has had her bowels manually evacuated and her suprapubic Catheter flushed out will be good for her mental health.

Do you want her to paint railings with a mouth paint brush and will you be available to manually hoist her for the high bits?
    Oh she is mainly asleep all day long too because of the painkillers she needs but happy for you to employ her if you wish
    ydoethur said:

Without wanting to destroy your dreams but the UK government is already working on something similar for years.

A Norman invention.

ydoethur said:

A Norman invention.
    Bloody pan-Europeans at it again.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Had no idea that some Catholics have a problem with Kamala Harris.

"Catholics warn of Kamala Harris’ record of ‘anti-Catholic bigotry’"

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/jul/23/traditional-catholics-warn-of-kamala-harriss-recor/

I think that means pro-choice.

Her aggressive questioning of Kavanaugh on the issue touched a nerve.
    She was spot on. At his nomination Kavanaugh said Roe was “settled as a precedent of the Supreme Court” and that it is “entitled the respect under principles of stare decisis.” He also said that “as a judge” he would respect the Roe precedent.

“And one of the important things to keep in mind about Roe v. Wade is that it has been reaffirmed many times over the past 45 years, as you know, and most prominently, most importantly, reaffirmed in Planned Parenthood v. Casey in 1992,” he continued. “When that came up, the Supreme Court didn’t reaffirm it in passing.”

Kavanaugh went on to explain that Casey very carefully and explicitly reaffirmed Roe under the plurality opinion by then-Justices Sandra Day O’Connor, Anthony Kennedy, and David Souter.

He's, to use a technical term, a lying shit.
    Kamala Harris: Can you think of any laws that give the government the power to make decisions about the male body?

Brett Kavanaugh: I'm not thinking of any right now..

https://x.com/KamalaHQ/status/1815770917571576231

During that exchange, he takes on the patented Tucker Carlson expression of dumb insolence.
    It will be a grim irony if Trump's decision to put these lying fools onto the SC (Kavanaugh was far from alone in his lies) ends up costing him re-election. FWIW (and subject to my repeated acknowledgements that I do not understand the American psyche at all) I think that it will. Abortion was always going to be a big element of this election but with Harris in the driving seat it may prove to be the central question. The irony is made all the more delicious in that I don't think Trump ever gave a damn about it.
    A further irony is that Trump's position is surely the obvious way to detoxify the issue by removing it from national politics. Both sides need to be more tolerant of the existence of people within the United States who disagree with them.
    They had a settled balanced position with Roe v Wade. Upending that was not an exercise in detoxification.
    We managed to tolerate part of the UK not allowing abortion for decades without it ever becoming a national political football.
    "We" may have tolerated it, but then we tolerated our own slave trade for a couple of centuries. Some things need to be made into political footballs.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,473
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/24/crowdstrike-overhaul-software-updates-global-outage/

Crowdstrike to overhaul the way they do software updates, after they inadvertently crashed an estimated 9,000,000 computers last Friday.

As an example, RTM's worm that famously crashed machines on the Internet back in 1988 infected somewhere between 2,000 and 6,000 machines...

I love RTM's story.

As an aside: "During the Morris appeal process, the US court of appeals estimated the cost of removing the virus from each installation was in the range of $200–$53,000." (1)

If even that lower value is used as the cost for Crowdstrike, then they're in *deep* trouble...

(1): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_worm
    Well I spent something like 30 hours fixing around 100 machines, so call it a grand in my time to my employer. Downtime to others wasn’t too much but call it another collective grand.

All but one machine in my office, a print server, came back up with a simple fix - system restore point, getting to a recovery command prompt and deleting the offending file, booting from a Linux USB stick and deleting the offending file etc.

It wasn’t really a virus that required wiping disks and massive loss of data.

We were relatively lucky, in that our business-critical systems don’t see the Internet by design, the same can’t be said for the many airports and airlines affected though, for some the direct costs will be in the tens of millions, and the indirect costs in the tens of millions more.
    Just want to say UK banks weren’t impacted.

UK banks are the best.

IT failures are what keep me up at night.

We’re well prepared for cyber attacks/hacking but I fear the big screw up will be something like this or the Year 2038 bug.
    No one is paying any attention to the Year 292,277,026,596 bug.

*Everything* will fail.
    I sat in a three day meeting about the Year 2038 bug.

Then there’s this

https://sgs.princeton.edu/00000000
    What's the significance of 2038?

Is that the date we're expecting the Tories to elect a sane leader and all computers will crash from sheer astonishment?

Or the year Trump finally gets locked up, and the rocking of the earth on its axis disables all electrical devices?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Edit: The Year 292,277,026,596 bug is the result of the upgrade to fix the Year 2038 bug.
    I was once tasked with writing a system (for an OS...) that would be able to track and measure dates into the far future and past. I based it on Julian Dates, but because they wanted it to be a worldwide system (where you could compare the dates and times of historic events, such as comets), I had to start taking into account locales - the local date and time (e.g. the different date son which countries changed from the Julian to Gregorian calendars).

It was fascinating stuff, but it soon got very, very complex, and was soon abandoned as unnecessary.

I bet someone's done it since.
    Start here: https://infiniteundo.com/post/25326999628/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-time
    A lot of that is about internal computer clocks, rather than time per se, but yes, it's a minefield. ISTR some computer systems called the year 2000 a leap year, when it was not, as the programmers forgot the rules:

*) If the year is divisible by 4, it is a leap year.
    *) Unless it is divisible by 100, in which case it is not a leap year.
    *) Unless it is divisible by 400, in which case it is.

So 1900 was not a leap year, but 2000 was. 2100 will not be, but 2400 will be. Some systems (I think Excel) called 1900 a leap year if you put it in a cell.
    But it was a leap year, as you note below.
    Yeah, my mistake. I got the rules right below though. ;)
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 24

Of course they are, that is only to be expected. The difference is that they know they can be ejected from power in five years including top members in Portillo moments, if they go too far and have to get it through both Commons and Lords as primary legislation with all sorts of press scrutiny

No such worries for the EU.

How sad for our politicians it must be that they can no longer egg on the EU to do it behind closed doors in Bruxelles, then wring their hands and say that however bad it is, the EU have decided and to not rubber stamp it with secondary legislation under the 1972 EEC act would be an abuse of process.

Tony Benn was the one who most influenced me on the Brexit matter.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,552
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fffs said:

Don't think Duguid had an injury, beyond being stabbed in the back by DRoss the Scottish Boss. (Wikipedia says recovering from a spinal illness. McKinlay lost his hands and feet to sepsis.)
  • MuesliMuesli Posts: 202
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fffs said:

Craig Mackinlay had the amputations. David Duguid got sacked by Douglas Ross.

Of course they are, that is only to be expected. The difference is that they know they can be ejected from power in five years including top members in Portillo moments if they go too far and have to get it through both commons and lords with all sorts of press scrutiny

No such worries for the EU. How sad for our politicians it must be that they can no longer egg on the EU to do it behind closed doors in Bruxelles, then wring their hands and say that however bad it is, the EU have decided and to not rubber stamp it with secondary legislation under the 1972 EEC act would be an abuse of process.
    Thanks for proving you know not what you talk about on this subject.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    Counter-terror police are helping with the investigation into the stabbing of a soldier in Kent, who The Telegraph understands is a lieutenant colonel.

The victim in his forties, understood to be wearing full uniform, was set upon by a man wearing a ski mask and armed with two blades at around 5.55pm on Tuesday in Sally Port Gardens, Chatham.

He is believed to be one of the most senior officers at Brompton Barracks, located just a few hundred yards from where he was attacked.

A 24-year-old man, who fled the scene on a motorbike and was seen driving around the area in the hours before the attack, remains in custody following his arrest, Kent Police said.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/24/soldier-stabbed-army-barracks-kent/
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528

Fffs said:

Gosh, I am very sorry to learn that.
    Sympathies.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fffs said:

Don't think Duguid had an injury, beyond being stabbed in the back by DRoss the Scottish Boss. (Wikipedia says recovering from a spinal illness. McKinlay lost his hands and feet to sepsis.)
    Then DRoss got sacked by the voters in Duguid's successor seat
    Conservative MP Craig Mackinlay who lost his hands and feet after suffering a life-threatening episode of sepsis says he will not be seeking re-election

Lazy bastard can we stop his MPs Pension!!!

Counter-terror police are helping with the investigation into the stabbing of a soldier in Kent, who The Telegraph understands is a lieutenant colonel.

The victim in his forties, understood to be wearing full uniform, was set upon by a man wearing a ski mask and armed with two blades at around 5.55pm on Tuesday in Sally Port Gardens, Chatham.

He is believed to be one of the most senior officers at Brompton Barracks, located just a few hundred yards from where he was attacked.

A 24-year-old man, who fled the scene on a motorbike and was seen driving around the area in the hours before the attack, remains in custody following his arrest, Kent Police said.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/24/soldier-stabbed-army-barracks-kent/

Omg you mean it WASN’T just some guy having a migraine????
  • Fffs said:

I did say "most". With all due respect to your wife, this is just the sort of "hard cases" argument used to imply that the 5% who can't work mean the 95% who can work, can't either.

If the 95% did work then the country would be able to afford rather more generous stipends to those like your good lady who cannot.
    geoffw said:

Fffs said:

Gosh, I am very sorry to learn that.
    Sympathies.
    Likewise.

That’s tough to hear @bigjohnowls

Many sympathies
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,061

well bless you for rejecting the EU's authoritarian system, but i think the UK is perfectly capable of gold-plating its own authoritarianism, thank you. :)
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,387

geoffw said:

The EU's very own doomsday book.

What's the betting this government signs up to it, should it actually happen?

Bonus points for guessing who will be excluded.
    Charlie and William will be excluded.
    CNN Trump 49% Harris 46% (taken 22nd - 23rd July).

67% of White voters without degrees support him over Harris, near-identical to his support against Biden (66%). He continues to hold the support of a majority of men (53% versus Harris, it was 54% against Biden). And he maintains the support of about 9 in 10 Republicans and Republican-leaning independents (90% vs. Harris, 89% against Biden).

The shift toward affirmative support for Harris among her backers comes from groups that typically break for Democrats but had been seen as trouble spots for the Biden campaign. Among Harris supporters younger than 45, 43% say their vote is more in support of her than against Trump, up from 28% of Biden voters in that age group who felt the same way about the president in June. Among voters of color who back Harris, 57% say their vote is for her more than against Trump, compared with 48% among Biden voters of color in June. And 54% of women backing Harris say their vote is to support her, compared with 43% of women backing Biden who said the same in June.Independent voters who broke 47% Trump to 37% Biden in prior polls now split 46% Trump to 43% Harris.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/24/politics/cnn-poll-kamala-harris-donald-trump/index.html
  • MisterBedfordshireMisterBedfordshire Posts: 2,252
    edited July 24

Of course they are, that is only to be expected. The difference is that they know they can be ejected from power in five years including top members in Portillo moments if they go too far and have to get it through both commons and lords with all sorts of press scrutiny

No such worries for the EU. How sad for our politicians it must be that they can no longer egg on the EU to do it behind closed doors in Bruxelles, then wring their hands and say that however bad it is, the EU have decided and to not rubber stamp it with secondary legislation under the 1972 EEC act would be an abuse of process.
    Even if it goes through, it will be subject to amendments and future repeal by a future government.

If we were still in the EU, an EU regulation would just be imposed, with no ability for parliament to amend or repeal it. (from memory EU regulations didn't even need UK "cover sheet" legislation once they gave themselves a legal personality under the European Constitution Treaty of Lisbon.
  • viewcode said:

well bless you for rejecting the EU's authoritarian system, but i think the UK is perfectly capable of gold-plating its own authoritarianism, thank you. :)
    Of course. But we have the chance to Portillo them every 5 years. The Gentleman in Brussels has no such concerns.
    HYUFD said:

67% of White voters without degrees support him over Harris, near-identical to his support against Biden (66%). He continues to hold the support of a majority of men (53% versus Harris, it was 54% against Biden). And he maintains the support of about 9 in 10 Republicans and Republican-leaning independents (90% vs. Harris, 89% against Biden).

The shift toward affirmative support for Harris among her backers comes from groups that typically break for Democrats but had been seen as trouble spots for the Biden campaign. Among Harris supporters younger than 45, 43% say their vote is more in support of her than against Trump, up from 28% of Biden voters in that age group who felt the same way about the president in June. Among voters of color who back Harris, 57% say their vote is for her more than against Trump, compared with 48% among Biden voters of color in June. And 54% of women backing Harris say their vote is to support her, compared with 43% of women backing Biden who said the same in June.Independent voters who broke 47% Trump to 37% Biden in prior polls now split 46% Trump to 43% Harris.
    https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/24/politics/cnn-poll-kamala-harris-donald-trump/index.html

Hmmmm

That’s not good for Kamala. She has a lot of flaws which will become more obvious as the campaign proceeds and the kamalagasm subsides

Plus she has Biden still there in situ. Mired in his madness yet “running the country”

Go long Trump
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,149
    kjh said:

@HYUFD I have only seen a few of the comments earlier re the Falklands, but we have discussed this on an earlier occasion. The Falklands was not an easy war to win. If they had invaded the Isle of Wight it would have been, but the Falklands is much further away. The Exocet threat to the Aircraft Carriers was significant and could have ended the attempt there and then. The loss of the Atlantic Conveyor was key, depriving the Army of transport helicopters. It could have been worse.There are many more examples that put it on a knife edge, but to give one with the opinion of someone who should know:

The Argentinean Air Force bombed our ships too low to enable the arming of their bombs causing several direct hits not to explode. They fixed that issue.

Lord Craig, the retired Marshal of the Royal Air Force, is said to have remarked on that failure: "Six better fuses and we would have lost" I suspect he knows better than you or I. It was touch and go.

The Falklands could easily have been a disaster.

The Royal Navy took a hammering as it was.

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Fffs said:

Ok, so I am muddling the two up. I thought the one Ross shat all over had lost his hands and feet.

Dammit, that's rough. I have a sibling who is a wheelchair user as a result of a misdiagnosis, but that's far worse. Major sympathies, sir

Fffs said:

I did say "most". With all due respect to your wife, this is just the sort of "hard cases" argument used to imply that the 5% who can't work mean the 95% who can work, can't either.

If the 95% did work then the country would be able to afford rather more generous stipends to those like your good lady who cannot.
    I don't accept the 5% / 95% but there are some who can and should work but IMO its a very small number and the language tarring most as being in the latter category is disgusting.

Anyway on to happier matters @derbyshireccc actually won a cricket match today.
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Buttigieg has come in overnight from over 30 to around 10.
    Kerching.

Playing it like a violin, Nigel, at the moment. Keep going.

Me, I'm taking a pause while I re-orientate and count my blessings (bookwise) from Joe becoming Kamala. I'm almost flat now instead of miles underwater.
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

Me, I'm taking a pause while I re-orientate and count my blessings (bookwise) from Joe becoming Kamala. I'm almost flat now instead of miles underwater.
    Good work. I fucked my position.

I was +£360 on the pair of them 2 weeks ago, but got greedy.

Fffs said:

The problem is that medical complaints differ, and your '95%' figure sounds... invented. When I was younger, I had an ankle issue that meant, at times, I could not walk without considerable pain. This meant at uni I got a disabled parking space, as I could park nearer the uni.

But it was only 'at times'. At other times, I would no pain, or not have as much pain (often due to painkillers...) and I would fight the pain and walk miles - because that would make me feel good mentally. A couple of people questioned me having a disabled space, as I obviously was not disabled.

What's your view on that situation? Was I disabled, or not?

Certain conditions flare up (ME I think being one): someone might seem able to do work one day, but be bed-ridden the next.

And that's without going into 'hidden' disabilities, such as mental illness...

kjh said:

@HYUFD I have only seen a few of the comments earlier re the Falklands, but we have discussed this on an earlier occasion. The Falklands was not an easy war to win. If they had invaded the Isle of Wight it would have been, but the Falklands is much further away. The Exocet threat to the Aircraft Carriers was significant and could have ended the attempt there and then. The loss of the Atlantic Conveyor was key, depriving the Army of transport helicopters. It could have been worse.There are many more examples that put it on a knife edge, but to give one with the opinion of someone who should know:

The Argentinean Air Force bombed our ships too low to enable the arming of their bombs causing several direct hits not to explode. They fixed that issue.

Lord Craig, the retired Marshal of the Royal Air Force, is said to have remarked on that failure: "Six better fuses and we would have lost" I suspect he knows better than you or I. It was touch and go.

It was a disaster. The FO should have foreseen some degree of possible aggression. The RN should have had something like a defence against exocet.

The greatest sea-power the world has ever known was nearly humiliated by a half-arsed invasion army and a few obsolete ships.

It's not clear that the RN has really functioned properly since about 1812.

Even if it goes through, it will be subject to amendments and future repeal by a future government.

If we were still in the EU, an EU regulation would just be imposed, with no ability for parliament to amend or repeal it. (from memory EU regulations didn't even need UK "cover sheet" legislation once they gave themselves a legal personality under the European Constitution Treaty of Lisbon.
    See you're proving you know what you talk about, most of it is already in place.

I could fuck up your life by putting a CIFAS marker on your credit file.

You could get POCA'd senseless even if you haven't committed a crime.

I have the ability to share info with other financial institutions and obtain info on you.

We already have the Unexplained Wealth Orders.

I could go on.
    I am not running in the Conservative Party’s leadership election. I want to help the next leader rebuild & renew our Party.

I look forward to the candidates setting out their visions over the coming weeks for the future of our country & our Party.

https://x.com/VictoriaAtkins/status/1816171972264390779
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,875
    edited July 24

Fffs said:

Craig McKinley XMP has bionic arms and legs. And he calls them that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1l1eV9wsweA

On disabled and working, most of them already *do* work, and it's unfortunately far too much about politics and the Treasury, with categories obfuscated and BS generators lined up as required by current political needs.

The current "working" rate amongst disabled adults as reported by Govt stats is around 55%, up from 45% in 2014, according to the House of Commons Library.

There were 5.53 million working-age disabled people in employment in October to December 2023, an increase of 338,000 from October to December 2022. The employment rate of disabled people was 54.2%, up from 52.7% a year previously
    https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-7540/CBP-7540.pdf
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Maybe but the Falklands was British sovereign territory with inhabitants who wished to stay British and we correctly used all means to defend it.

We also had submarines with nuclear weapons the Argentines didn't and a better trained army, whereas the Chinese had nuclear weapons like us and a bigger army so defending Hong Kong once the lease expired was never a realistic prospect in the same way. There was also no lease for the Falklands, it was permanently British as long as the inhabitants wished it that way
    It would have been quite funny though if we had handed over the New Territories to the legitimate Chinese Government, based in Taiwan, and kept a large naval base in Hong Kong itself to assist the legitimate Chinese govednment in fending off the communist terrorists.
    Is everyone here unaware of just how difficult it would have been to defend Hong Kong against military attack?

Heck, even Churchill said it wasn't worth more than a token effort at best. If it lasted slightly longer than Singapore that's only because Singapore had pretty much no landward defences at all.
    We could have held Singapore with well-led trained troops and equipment.

Japs had little except initiative, courage and good leadership. And some planes.

Kohima /Imphal showed a proper defence.
  • Fffs said:

I don't accept the 5% / 95% but there are some who can and should work but IMO its a very small number and the language tarring most as being in the latter category is disgusting.

5%/95% is likely going too far. But it is a substantial amount.

According to the BBC, half of the 3.3 million claiming PIP are claiming for "anxiety, nerves or depression." and it is expected to cost £32 billion by 2028 if not reformed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn0ry09d50wo

Anyway good wishes to you both and good to hear someone got some dry weather today.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

See you're proving you know what you talk about, most of it is already in place.

I have the ability to share info with other financial institutions and obtain info on you.

I could go on.
    Pretty certain you could fuck up your own life with your second paragraph

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

I shall not rest until I get a light sabre.
    I SHALL NOT REST.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,607

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

Maybe but the Falklands was British sovereign territory with inhabitants who wished to stay British and we correctly used all means to defend it.

We also had submarines with nuclear weapons the Argentines didn't and a better trained army, whereas the Chinese had nuclear weapons like us and a bigger army so defending Hong Kong once the lease expired was never a realistic prospect in the same way. There was also no lease for the Falklands, it was permanently British as long as the inhabitants wished it that way
    It would have been quite funny though if we had handed over the New Territories to the legitimate Chinese Government, based in Taiwan, and kept a large naval base in Hong Kong itself to assist the legitimate Chinese govednment in fending off the communist terrorists.
    Is everyone here unaware of just how difficult it would have been to defend Hong Kong against military attack?

Heck, even Churchill said it wasn't worth more than a token effort at best. If it lasted slightly longer than Singapore that's only because Singapore had pretty much no landward defences at all.

Japs had little except initiative, courage and good leadership. And some planes.

Perhaps that could only have been done by coming to terms with Hitler to allow us to focus on Japan.

I could go on.
    Pretty certain you could fuck up your own life with your second paragraph
    I would never place a spurious CIFAS marker.
    edited July 24
    Israel complains to BBC over report of death of disabled Palestinian mauled by military dog
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/24/israel-protests-bbc-downs-syndrome-mauled-dog-gaza/

The BBC at best got totally stitched up and didn't do any proper journalism about who these people were at worst another BBC Arabic journalist happy publish an Islamic Jihad propaganda piece.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Omnium said:

kjh said:

It was a disaster. The FO should have foreseen some degree of possible aggression. The RN should have had something like a defence against exocet.

The greatest sea-power the world has ever known was nearly humiliated by a half-arsed invasion army and a few obsolete ships.

Nonetheless the Falklands Conflict was an overwhelming political success.
    edited July 24
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

I shall not rest until I get a light sabre.
    I SHALL NOT REST.
    Nah.

edited July 24

I am not running in the Conservative Party’s leadership election. I want to help the next leader rebuild & renew our Party.

I look forward to the candidates setting out their visions over the coming weeks for the future of our country & our Party.

Aaaargh, flaming un-British idiots.

STANDING!!!

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

kjh said:

The British (as opposed to the Canadians, the Australians, the Indians, the Kiwis etc) had two notable flaws in WWII
    • When they were surrounded on three sides they retreated
    • When they were surrounded on four sides they surrendered
    If memory serves, wasn't Slim the only one who really sorted out how to do it in Burma?

(Oh and while I'm here, here's a video lauding Percy Hobart. From an American. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRl0VICYS9c )
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379
    edited July 24

Fffs said:

5%/95% is likely going too far. But it is a substantial amount.

According to the BBC, half of the 3.3 million claiming PIP are claiming for "anxiety, nerves or depression." and it is expected to cost £32 billion by 2028 if not reformed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cn0ry09d50wo

Anyway good wishes to you both and good to hear someone got some dry weather today.
    This is a common confusion but PIP (Personal Independence Payment) is in no way related to an individual's ability to work.

As a paraplegic, I have received PIP and its predecessors whilst having a long and successful career until I retired.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,687

Fffs said:

I'm don't think that's a fair response to what Mr Bedfordshire is saying. Of course there are many who can no longer work, but there are also many who wish to.
    edited July 24

Omnium said:

kjh said:

The Argentinians nearly winning a war and claiming British territory? A success?

The success (if there was one) was us not being the military laughing stock of the world.

(Edit: sorry mp you said 'political success' and I think you're right in that)
    viewcode said:

Dammit, that's rough. I have a sibling who is a wheelchair user as a result of a misdiagnosis, but that's far worse. Major sympathies, sir

Received a large settlement but money cannot make up for the fact we would be enjoying our lives on things such as walking holidays rather than getting her Carers changing nappies.

I dont really mention this much but it happened in 2016 when she was 57 and its pretty much ruined both our lives (particularly hers)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,768
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Hmmmm

That’s not good for Kamala. She has a lot of flaws which will become more obvious as the campaign proceeds and the kamalagasm subsides

Plus she has Biden still there in situ. Mired in his madness yet “running the country”

Go long Trump
    Currently I'm a buyer of Harris at anything much over 2.8, and would be a seller below 2.2.
    Anything between, sticking pat.

That's this week; I expect the polls to change next week.
    Rumours SKS is to appoint Charlotte Dujardin as Minister for whipping disabled people into shape (for their own good) policy
  • u

I could go on.
    Oh I know. It is quite Kafkaesque. I once helped. (advised) a British Citizen relative who relocated back here after decades in Africa get a bank account. It was not easy.

Same with all those laws that try and turn landlords and employers into immigration officials.

Wouldn't mind so much if these things worked, but all they do is make life harder for honest citizens (and sometimes involve them in Kafkaesque nightmares) while the criminals soon find ways round it.
  • DumbosaurusDumbosaurus Posts: 659

LOLOLOLOL

Suella Braverman unlikely to find ten Tory MPs needed to enter leadership race

https://x.com/theipaper/status/1815876251141226964

praise jesus
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    edited July 24

Israel complains to BBC over report of death of disabled Palestinian mauled by military dog
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/07/24/israel-protests-bbc-downs-syndrome-mauled-dog-gaza/

The BBC at best got totally stitched up and didn't do any proper journalism about who these people were at worst another BBC Arabic journalist happy publish an Islamic Jihad propaganda piece.

Almost all of the propaganda pumped out by Israel/israeli-friendly sources, since October 7'th has turned out to be bullshit.

It's quite possible the once-promising outpost of the American empire, known as "Israel", ended up being destroyed by an idiot called Netenyahu, who promised his people ultimate security.

Personally, as a Brit, uninvested in the world's oldest real estate dispute, I see my moral obligation as ensuring my country is as hospitable as possible for Jewish people who wish to escape the nightmare.

A failed experiment.

RIP, Israel;

1208 BCE (possibly earlier) - to - CE 2024.

Bibi, You fucked over your own people.

You're a fucking idiot.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    edited July 24
    OT. (I HOPE)

Ch4 News has just spent the first 28 minutes of their evening news interviewing a contestant who says she didn't have a good time on Strictly Come Dancing.

Have the BBC blocked the door marked 'Exit'?
    MattW said:

This is my photo for the day, and a question. It is the "Public Art" installation at "Fold Street" launched this afternoon by Samsung, with TfL, Taylor Herring, St Marks Studios and Iris (creative agency types I think).

Do we have anyone who goes home that way? I'm interested to see what you think.

They have messed around with the readability of station signs, and installed various "folded" items in the middle of pavements. Imagine approaching that in a powerchair from the Right Hand Side in the dark.

For a fair comparison with a parallel for non-disabled people, what would happen if they replaced all the road signs at a junction with ones pointing in the wrong direction for "art", and for fun replaced manhole covers with identical looking ones made from thin plastic for the public to fall down?

If this is what it looks like, and I accept I can't know until I have seen a proper site report, Samsung are going to get their nuts somewhat roasted, and perhaps quite quickly. Baroness Tanni-Grey Thompson will have things to say, for a start.

It can be done creatively and safely, but I think they perhaps just did not think to think.

https://news.samsung.com/uk/folded-london-bus-stops-the-traffic

Update.

Just twigged that Old Street station, where this has been set up on the pavements and other places, is ONLY the one used by patients from Moorfields Eye Hospital.

And that TFL are in that list.

I need to borrow a phrase from Four Weddings - for Fuckety-Fuckety-Fucking-Fucks Sake !
    In the first @YouGov/@TheEconomist survey since Joe Biden abandoned his re-election bid, @KamalaHarris's net favourability has overtaken Donald Trump's

https://x.com/AlexSelbyB/status/1816132754720874553

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

I cashed out a few days ago, as I haven't a clue who it will be.
    Then saw Pete B had drifted out over 30. Which seemed daft, as he's probably got almost as good a chance as any of half a dozen of them.
    Took my stake back out around 9.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,426
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/24/crowdstrike-overhaul-software-updates-global-outage/

Crowdstrike to overhaul the way they do software updates, after they inadvertently crashed an estimated 9,000,000 computers last Friday.

As an example, RTM's worm that famously crashed machines on the Internet back in 1988 infected somewhere between 2,000 and 6,000 machines...

I love RTM's story.

As an aside: "During the Morris appeal process, the US court of appeals estimated the cost of removing the virus from each installation was in the range of $200–$53,000." (1)

If even that lower value is used as the cost for Crowdstrike, then they're in *deep* trouble...

Well I spent something like 30 hours fixing around 100 machines, so call it a grand in my time to my employer. Downtime to others wasn’t too much but call it another collective grand.

All but one machine in my office, a print server, came back up with a simple fix - system restore point, getting to a recovery command prompt and deleting the offending file, booting from a Linux USB stick and deleting the offending file etc.

We were relatively lucky, in that our business-critical systems don’t see the Internet by design, the same can’t be said for the many airports and airlines affected though, for some the direct costs will be in the tens of millions, and the indirect costs in the tens of millions more.

UK banks are the best.

We’re well prepared for cyber attacks/hacking but I fear the big screw up will be something like this or the Year 2038 bug.

*Everything* will fail.
    Is that because the sun will by then expand to absorb the earth making electricals somewhat problematic?
    No, by that point the universe will have reached a completely even temperature - nothing will be happening.

Unless the cyclic big bang idea is true and the cosmic ICE will have fired long since.

It might be a big still, if we manage to transcend the universe - either move to another one, start another one or restart this one.

I’ve filed planning applications for all those options. 292 Billion years should see all the appeals done
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,253

LOLOLOLOL

Suella Braverman unlikely to find ten Tory MPs needed to enter leadership race

https://x.com/theipaper/status/1815876251141226964

I'm sorry, so sorry, we failed.
    Omnium said:

Omnium said:

kjh said:

The Argentinians nearly winning a war and claiming British territory? A success?

The success (if there was one) was us not being the military laughing stock of the world.

(Edit: sorry mp you said 'political success' and I think you're right in that)
    The success was ensuring the Falklands was swiftly liberated from Argentine invasion.

The RN now has Aster 30 missiles to stop anti ship missiles too

In the first @YouGov/@TheEconomist survey since Joe Biden abandoned his re-election bid, @KamalaHarris's net favourability has overtaken Donald Trump's

https://x.com/AlexSelbyB/status/1816132754720874553

Evens.
    edited July 24

Fffs said:

I'm don't think that's a fair response to what Mr Bedfordshire is saying. Of course there are many who can no longer work, but there are also many who wish to.
    There were 5.53 million working-age disabled people in employment in October to December 2023, an increase of 338,000 from October to December 2022. The employment rate of disabled people was 54.2%, up from 52.7% a year previously.

The poster for whom you are sticking up basically says 95% are wagging it

Perhaps fuck off would have been a better more reasoned response.

I am going now this is very personal

Likely backs Tugendhat now
  • Israel complains to BBC over report of death of disabled Palestinian mauled by military dog

Almost all of the propaganda pumped out by Israeli/israeli-friendly sources, since October 7'th has turned out to be bullshit.

It's quite possible the once-promising outpost of the American empire, known as "Israel", ended up being destroyed by an idiot called Netenyahu, who promised his people ultimate security.

Personally, as a Brit, uninvested in the world's oldest real estate dispute, I see my moral obligation as ensuring my country is as hospitable as possible for Jewish people who wish to escape the nightmare.

A failed experiment.

RIP, Israel;

Bibi, You Fucked over your own people.

You're a fucking idiot.
    Rhodesia 2.0
    edited July 24
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Hmmmm

Go long Trump
    She certainly needs a big post convention bounce next month and a good VP pick who can win a swing state

kinabalu said:

And so it begins...

Morning Joe
    @Morning_Joe

Democrats cautiously optimistic they finally have first female president

What begins? - the overconfidence, you mean?

You're getting HRC vibes?
    Yep.

They should not be optimistic. They should be terrified they are looking like they will lose and they should be working their socks off to find out where they are failing to convince and doing something. At least with a candidate who has energy and is clearly able to actually do the four year term things are looking a little better.

And she went to Wisconsin which is more than HRC did.
    Kamala doesn’t strike me as the kind of candidate who

1) dumps a meeting with the Teachers Union to give a speech to Goldman Sucks.
    2) has a holiday in the Hamptons. On the middle of the campaign for President.

Almost all of the propaganda pumped out by Israel/israeli-friendly sources, since October 7'th has turned out to be bullshit.

A failed experiment.

RIP, Israel;

Bibi, You fucked over your own people.

You're a fucking idiot.
    Not necessarily an idiot Just completely ignorant.
    Liz Truss tells Fox news Kamala Harris is not qualified to lead America

https://x.com/LarrySabato/status/1816167815759491145

Almost all of the propaganda pumped out by Israeli/israeli-friendly sources, since October 7'th has turned out to be bullshit.

A failed experiment.

RIP, Israel;

Bibi, You Fucked over your own people.

You're a fucking idiot.
    Rhodesia 2.0
    Maybe this is wrong and Israel is on the way to becoming a hegemon in the Middle East.
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

In Nepal, we went to a forge to watch them making Kukris.

The source metal was leaf springs from ancient Mercedes trucks.
    They, of course, include family members of those still held hostage.

Benjamin Netanyahu says anti-Israel protesters have chosen to “stand with evil” and with Hamas. “They should be ashamed of themselves,” he says...

And Netanyahu has never felt a moment's shame in his life, I suspect.
    Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

Then saw Pete B had drifted out over 30. Which seemed daft, as he's probably got almost as good a chance as any of half a dozen of them.
    Good work.

I need Beto O'Rourke or Ossoff to come in to make my book up again!

Somewhat unlikely.

And governments are getting very interested in a real use for blockchain.

A digitally signed history of each piece of currency, and of every asset.
    edited July 24
    Uh-oh.

Scandals in Horse Dancing. They should have stuck to Bolsover Castle. Britsih 6 times medallist, no less. Going for the "moment of madness, out of character" defence.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/equestrian/articles/cw0y240r78qo

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

Good work.

I need Beto O'Rourke or Ossoff to come in to make my book up again!

Somewhat unlikely.
    Beto O'Rourke - He was the future once....

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Angrist is what you want then.

kinabalu said:

And so it begins...

Morning Joe
    @Morning_Joe

Democrats cautiously optimistic they finally have first female president

What begins? - the overconfidence, you mean?

You're getting HRC vibes?
    Yep.

They should not be optimistic. They should be terrified they are looking like they will lose and they should be working their socks off to find out where they are failing to convince and doing something. At least with a candidate who has energy and is clearly able to actually do the four year term things are looking a little better.

And she went to Wisconsin which is more than HRC did.
    Kamala doesn’t strike me as the kind of candidate who

1) dumps a meeting with the Teachers Union to give a speech to Goldman Sucks.
    2) has a holiday in the Hamptons. On the middle of the campaign for President.
    She also faces a much older and crazier Trump.

Equally, of course, he now has the advantage of having actually been President so people can't say it's unimaginable he could be elected to office.
    HYUFD said:

There's just no word for what Truss is.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

*Everything* will fail.
    Is that because the sun will by then expand to absorb the earth making electricals somewhat problematic?
    No, by that point the universe will have reached a completely even temperature - nothing will be happening.

Unless the cyclic big bang idea is true and the cosmic ICE will have fired long since.

It might be a big still, if we manage to transcend the universe - either move to another one, start another one or restart this one.

I’ve filed planning applications for all those options. 292 Billion years should see all the appeals done
    I'm sure Labour's manifesto mentioned relaxing planning restrictions for the Kuiper belt.

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Angrist was forged by Telchar of Nogrod in the White Mountains. Not Mount Doom.

Victoria's secret
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

*Everything* will fail.

You have started simulation 42f60dfe-2ce3-4de3-870c-264f01fd4624

This thread cannot be stopped or restarted and must be run to its conclusion.

No complaints or abuse to the Administrator will be tolerated.
    edited July 24
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Angrist was forged by Telchar of Nogrod in the White Mountains. Not Mount Doom.
    Telchar’s stuff was *the* shit.

Need a sword to reduce Sauron’s finger count?

Need a knife to prise jewels out of the Devil’s crown?

Shop Smart. Shop Nogrod.

Edit: Telchar would have probably made the One Ring into cuff links, for the LOLs.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,521
    HYUFD said:

Liz Truss there, being the arbiter of who is qualified or not to run something.

Irony klaxon.
    Nigelb said:

They, of course, include family members of those still held hostage.

Benjamin Netanyahu says anti-Israel protesters have chosen to “stand with evil” and with Hamas. “They should be ashamed of themselves,” he says...

(Snip)

I suspect that *some* of those family members might be doing so because they realise it might get their loved ones released quicker...

If a member of my family was kidnapped in that manner, I'd privately be wanting to see everyone who kidnapped them to be hung from the nearest lamppost, whilst publicly saying "Oh, I understand why you did it, and I sympathise. We're in the wrong. Now, please release my son..."
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

There is, but you'll get banned for using it.
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

A cosplayer?

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

There is, but you'll get banned for using it.
    To use a euphemism, cupid stunt doesn't do her any justice whatsoever.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527
    HYUFD said:

The exquisite judgment of Liz Truss is exactly what America has been looking for.
This discussion has been closed.