Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The choice of running mate by Kamala Harris could be crucial – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,049
edited August 4 in General
The choice of running mate by Kamala Harris could be crucial – politicalbetting.com

JD Vance is making history as the least liked VP nominee (non-incumbent) since 1980 following his/her party's convention. He's the first to have a net negative favorable rating. Not surprising given how weak he ran in Ohio in 2022. Far worse than the average Ohio Republican. pic.twitter.com/hlZziePkKe

Read the full story here

Comments

• eekeek Posts: 27,481
    First as Harris will be come November
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    edited July 24
    FPT - Speaking of somewhat-less-than-open candidate selection . . .

Have been reading up on an early 20th-century American political boss, namely Ed Crump of Memphis, Tennessee.

Mr. Crump (what everybody called him, probably even his wife) ruled the roost in Memphis and Shelby County for decades. AND was a major political force - indeed THE major individual politico - in Tennessee state politics. Crump was far more honest than most big city bosses, and was truly dedicated and diligent in planning and providing for public services and economic growth for Memphis and it's region. What was the secret of his political success? Mobilizing working -class Whites AND Black voters in support of his candidates, while at the same time pleasing or at least assuaging the White elites AND middle-class. While he was NOT a civil rights pioneer, Crump was respected and even liked by the Black community, because he actually did something for them in return for their taxes AND support; PLUS his organization paid the poll tax required then in Tennessee and most Southern states, for less affluent supporters, White and especially Black.

Anyway, in 1940, the mayor of Memphis, resigned after tangling with Mr. Crump. Deputy mayor (a Crump man) succeeded, until the next election.

Crump's first choice was the local Democratic congressman (Republicans being thin on the ground back then, at least among eligible voters). However, the Congressman pointed out that his vote was needed on a key vote for one of FDR's defense AND pro-Allied measures (prior to Pearl Harbor).

So what to do?

> Mr. Crump decided that HE would run for mayor (he'd been previously elected before WWI) even though he had no interest in doing the job. He ran, and won with the usual landslide for a Crump candidate.

> Then shortly after being sworn in - and after the critical vote in Congress - Mayor Crump resigned, and the Memphis city commission selected as his replacement . . . the Congressman. Who then resigned his seat in the US House; the subsequent election being won by . . . wait for it . . . Mr. Crump's chosen candidate.

Crump's machine started to sputter in 1948, when he endorsed Dixiecrat Strom Thurmond for POTUS versus Harry Truman. Many of Mr. Crump's White and even more of his Black followers refused to follow him in the Fall, and thereafter. However, didn't lose his political grip in Memphis or Tennessee - or widespread respect for him - until his death in 1950s.
  • DriverDriver Posts: 4,699
    Yes, if she'd chosen to not run it would have made a difference ;)
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    Let’s hope there’s a senator with the surname Tweed, Keith or Rolf.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,768
    Driver said:

Mate, did you have to ?
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,607
    The election is a bit too early for everyone to do a mass Kamala turkey baste off for Thanksgiving.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,324
    edited July 24
    Well she made the choice to run.

If she’d made a different choice, the party might have had the opportunity to select a better candidate.
    Interesting new euphemism from the official Olympics website.

• PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 77,440
    edited July 24
    Polymarket (A crypto betting exchange) had Trump at 14% to dump Vance pre-election. Wilder things have already happened this cycle.
    He's probably got till the end of the DNC if he wants to do it - after that ballots will be being printed, state deadlines passing...
    Driver said:

Why does one get the feeling that the French militants are determined to totally disrupt the next fortnight?

Will there be a wildcat metro strike on the night of the 100m final, so they run in a half-empty stadium and have tens of thousands of furious ticket-holders?
    Harris could throw a dart at a list of the half dozen Democratic VP contenders, and she'd come up with a decent VP.
    They all have reasonably strong positives.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,525
    Driver said:

You need to put on your specs.

I see no missing words in the headline.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,119
    Sandpit said:

Driver said:

Why does one get the feeling that the French militants are determined to totally disrupt the next fortnight?

Will there be a wildcat metro strike on the night of the 100m final, so they run in a half-empty stadium and have tens of thousands of furious ticket-holders?
    My (eco-lefty) neighbour in France is certainly not a fan of the Olympics. She sees it as a waste of money that could be spent on public services and fixing inequality.

Her ex husband quipped "you just don't like sport much" (they're a bit like that - friendly with each other but can't resist the odd dig).

Hopefully once the games commence they'll all embrace the excitement and civic pride that comes with hosting, and try to enjoy it.

Driver said:

Check mate.
    Nigelb said:

Harris could throw a dart at a list of the half dozen Democratic VP contenders, and she'd come up with a decent VP.
    They all have reasonably strong positives.

It's a strong bench !

You can already see the 2028 (Or 32) hopefuls lining up tbh.
    Nigelb said:

Driver said:

Check mate.
    It is FAKE NEWS to say I missed out a word from headline.
    Interesting piece of research which suggests that the current theory of DNA methylation determining gene expression might be wrong.
    (There's still a lot we don't know about how DNA biology operates.)

The correlation between CpG methylation and gene expression is driven by sequence variants
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41588-024-01851-2
    ..In this study, we assigned CpG methylation, gene expression and alleles of sequence variants to parental haplotypes, allowing us to investigate correlations between the three sets of measurements on a haplotype level. We used these data to identify MDSs and found that, in instances where their CpG methylation correlated with gene expression, a sequence variant was invariably found in association with the CpG methylation of the same MDSs that explained most of the correlation. Hence, in instances where CpG methylation is found in association with both a sequence variant and gene expression, it is important to be cautious about assuming that the sequence variant influences the gene expression through CpG methylation. Indeed, our results are consistent with a model in which the correlations found between CpG methylation and gene expression are mostly byproducts of variability in TF protein binding to DNA created by sequence variants. In this model, TFs, but not CpG methylation, are responsible for influencing gene expression. Nonetheless, our results are equally consistent with a model in which the sequence variant exerts its influences on mRNA expression by affecting CpG methylation. In both models, however, the sequence variant is the primary driver of the correlation between CpG methylation and gene expression...

Driver said:

The URL never lies :)
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274
    Another story about Mr. Ed Crump the Boss of Memphis (Tennessee NOT Egypt*)

Just before US entry into WW1, there was a major election for Shelby County commissioner. Which was then controlled by Crump opponents, who managed to get his candidate kicked off the ballot.

So what to do? Mr. Crump decided to run his man as a write-in candidate. Which is heavy lifting as anyone who's participated or observed one knows. Even harder a century ago in the Deep South due to low literacy rates, particularly among African Americans who, unlike in most of Dixie, were allowed to vote.

AND just to increase the difficulty, the surname of Mr. Crump's choice was Riechman - in an electoral environment where his name as a write-in vote had to be spelled just like that, with zero room for misspelling, according to state law AND scrutiny of Crump's political opponents.

The Crump organization, in addition to its usual organizing AND poll-tax paying, embarked on a massive campaign of voter education. Including signboard advertising the right way to write "RIECHMAN" on the write-in line.

Who won with a landslide, thus demonstrating the effectiveness of the Crump organization, and also the clout of Mr. Crump then and for the next four decades.

Nigelb said:

Driver said:

Check mate.
    It is FAKE NEWS to say I missed out a word from headline.
    Of course.
    My posts are entirely consistent with that position.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,473
    Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/24/crowdstrike-overhaul-software-updates-global-outage/

Crowdstrike to overhaul the way they do software updates, after they inadvertently crashed an estimated 9,000,000 computers last Friday.

As an example, RTM's worm that famously crashed machines on the Internet back in 1988 infected somewhere between 2,000 and 6,000 machines...

I love RTM's story.

As an aside: "During the Morris appeal process, the US court of appeals estimated the cost of removing the virus from each installation was in the range of $200–$53,000." (1)

If even that lower value is used as the cost for Crowdstrike, then they're in *deep* trouble...

(1): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morris_worm
    Driver said:

Driver said:

The URL never lies :)
    Looks like I’ll have to deploy the Farage photo.
    Pulpstar said:

Polymarket (A crypto betting exchange) had Trump at 14% to dump Vance pre-election. Wilder things have already happened this cycle.
    He's probably got till the end of the DNC if he wants to do it - after that ballots will be being printed, state deadlines passing...

So a roughly one in seven chance?

Could happen.

Though given the roasters at SCOTUS Trump could tell the electoral college to vote for Eric Trump as VPOTUS and they’d back him.
    15 minutes (!!) added time in Argentina v Morocco.
    edited July 24

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2024/07/24/crowdstrike-overhaul-software-updates-global-outage/

Crowdstrike to overhaul the way they do software updates, after they inadvertently crashed an estimated 9,000,000 computers last Friday.

As an example, RTM's worm that famously crashed machines on the Internet back in 1988 infected somewhere between 2,000 and 6,000 machines...

I love RTM's story.

As an aside: "During the Morris appeal process, the US court of appeals estimated the cost of removing the virus from each installation was in the range of $200–$53,000." (1)

If even that lower value is used as the cost for Crowdstrike, then they're in *deep* trouble...

https://companiesmarketcap.com/crowdstrike

P/E ratio of -676, and that was before this "event".

I think they're absolutely bolloxed.

The only possible value is for the internal knowledge base/IP to one of the magnificent seven now.

It'd make sense for Microsoft to swallow them whole tbh, probably at 0.01 cents/share or something.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,632
    Driver said:

Anyone leading TSE to deploy *that* Farage photo gets more like 15 years.
  • FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,437
    edited July 24

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

I think the estimate was about £4bn for just the top 500 US companies, never mind the smaller ones or the rest of the world.

If this is an insured loss, it isn't just Crowdstrike going bust...
    Genuinely interesting 10’ snippet of a recent interview with independent journalist Matt Taibbi, about how Trump polarised the media back in 2016, and how they realised that non-stop negative coverage of him was good for the business of making the media companies money, less so for the polarisation of society that’s resulted from it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5CKazpJcd4
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,358
    Had no idea that some Catholics have a problem with Kamala Harris.

"Catholics warn of Kamala Harris’ record of ‘anti-Catholic bigotry’"

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/jul/23/traditional-catholics-warn-of-kamala-harriss-recor/
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,661
    Tom Tugendhat has emerged as the leadership contender who is most popular with the public, according to a new Savanta poll shared with Sky News.

The former security minister, who ran for the leadership after Boris Johnson's tenure, has a net favourability of -3, compared with -28 for Priti Patel, the former home secretary who scored the lowest rating with the public.

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-leadership-contender-most-popular-with-public-revealed-in-poll-13184190

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

Well I spent something like 30 hours fixing around 100 machines, so call it a grand in my time to my employer. Downtime to others wasn’t too much but call it another collective grand.

All but one machine in my office, a print server, came back up with a simple fix - system restore point, getting to a recovery command prompt and deleting the offending file, booting from a Linux USB stick and deleting the offending file etc.

It wasn’t really a virus that required wiping disks and massive loss of data.

We were relatively lucky, in that our business-critical systems don’t see the Internet by design, the same can’t be said for the many airports and airlines affected though, for some the direct costs will be in the tens of millions, and the indirect costs in the tens of millions more.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405
    Andy_JS said:

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2024/jul/23/traditional-catholics-warn-of-kamala-harriss-recor/

The bigotry begins and ends with her being pro abortion

Relevant voodoo poll

Poll: Will Kamala Harris' choice of Vice President affect your vote in November?

Not at all gets 88%

https://www.washingtontimes.com/polls/2024/jul/23/will-kamala-harris-choice-of-vice-president-affect/results/
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

Well I spent something like 30 hours fixing around 100 machines, so call it a grand in my time to my employer. Downtime to others wasn’t too much but call it another collective grand.

All but one machine in my office, a print server, came back up with a simple fix - system restore point, getting to a recovery command prompt and deleting the offending file, booting from a Linux USB stick and deleting the offending file etc.

We were relatively lucky, in that our business-critical systems don’t see the Internet by design, the same can’t be said for the many airports and airlines affected though, for some the direct costs will be in the tens of millions, and the indirect costs in the tens of millions more.
    Just want to say UK banks weren’t impacted.

UK banks are the best.

IT failures are what keep me up at night.

We’re well prepared for cyber attacks/hacking but I fear the big screw up will be something like this or the Year 2038 bug.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,426

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

We’re well prepared for cyber attacks/hacking but I fear the big screw up will be something like this or the Year 2038 bug.
    No one is paying any attention to the Year 292,277,026,596 bug.

*Everything* will fail.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

*Everything* will fail.
    I sat in a three day meeting about the Year 2038 bug.

Then there’s this

https://sgs.princeton.edu/00000000
    edited July 24

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

The 2038 bug is what’s finally going to get the banks off their collective arses, to replace all those ancient COBOL mainframes at the heart of their transaction systems.

To say I had the scariest half an hour of my professional career on Friday morning, not knowing the nature of the attack, would be a gross understatement. The sigh of relief when I realised it was our “security” vendor that had fcuked up, rather than a cyber-attack directed at our business, was overwhelming.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,521
    edited July 24
    On topic, I’m not convinced the choice of a running mate makes a tremendous difference, save that:

A) if the running mate has high negatives, this can become a story. See for instance Palin and potentially now Vance.

B - I can perhaps see a marginal effect if the running mate is really popular. For instance, I would expect a Harris pick of someone like Shapiro might give her a marginal boost in PA.

For a reminder, a list of the running mates in the 21st century. Lieberman, Cheney, Edwards, Biden, Palin, Ryan, Kaine, Pence, Harris. Of all of these I’m not sure any really had any tremendous effect on the race other than Palin.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,027
    Good afternoon

Just had an email from the conservative party asking me to re-join so I can vote for the new leader

I will not re-join the party until Braverman is irrelevant and my one vote will not make much difference anyway

Furthermore any moves to amalgamate with reform will also see me remain outside their membership
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,026
    If Trump wins again though then VP Vance will be his heir apparent and able to continue MAGA Trumpism through 2028 as likely next GOP nominee. For having served 2 terms, Trump constitutionally cannot run again if elected in November for a second term.

Harris if she has any sense will pick Pennsylvania Governor Shapiro as VP nominee, if she then gets Pennsylvania that is 19 electoral votes in the bag and then high black turnout in Georgia and Detroit Michigan for the Democrat ticket would be enough to see her over the 270 line
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

The 2038 bug is what’s finally going to get the banks off their collective arses, to replace all those ancient COBOL mainframes at the heart of their transaction systems.

To say I had the scariest half an hour of my professional career on Friday morning, not knowing the nature of the attack, would be a gross understatement. The sigh of relief when I realised it was our “security” vendor that had fcuked up, rather than a cyber-attack directed at our business, was overwhelming.
    I have insisted we have to be ready by 2028.

I suspect most other banks will wait until 2034.

If you ever want to piss off an IT guy just say to them ‘This is just the Y2K bug all over again, it’s nothing to worry about, nothing happened with that despite the panic.’

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

*Everything* will fail.

Then there’s this

What's the significance of 2038?

Is that the date we're expecting the Tories to elect a sane leader and all computers will crash from sheer astonishment?

Or the year Trump finally gets locked up, and the rocking of the earth on its axis disables all electrical devices?
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

*Everything* will fail.

Then there’s this

Is that the date we're expecting the Tories to elect a sane leader and all computers will crash from sheer astonishment?

Or the year Trump finally gets locked up, and the rocking of the earth on its axis disables all electrical devices?
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Andy_JS said:

Relevant voodoo poll

Poll: Will Kamala Harris' choice of Vice President affect your vote in November?

Not at all gets 88%

https://www.washingtontimes.com/polls/2024/jul/23/will-kamala-harris-choice-of-vice-president-affect/results/
    Conservative evangelicals oppose her for the same reason
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,661

Good afternoon

Just had an email from the conservative party asking me to re-join so I can vote for the new leader

I will not re-join the party until Braverman is irrelevant and my one vote will not make much difference anyway

Furthermore any moves to amalgamate with reform will also see me remain outside their membership

"my one vote will not make much difference anyway"

Might do!
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,426
    edited July 24
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

*Everything* will fail.

Then there’s this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Edit: The Year 292,277,026,596 bug is the result of the upgrade to fix the Year 2038 bug.
    edited July 24

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

An Azure outage (which also happened on Friday) that takes down Dynamics (Friday's didn't) is I believe a notifiable event to the Bank of England given how core it is to retail banking.

HYUFD said:

If Trump wins again though then VP Vance will be his heir apparent and able to continue MAGA Trumpism through 2028 as likely next GOP nominee. For having served 2 terms, Trump constitutionally cannot run again if elected in November for a second term.

Harris if she has any sense will pick Pennsylvania Governor Shapiro as VP nominee, if she then gets Pennsylvania that is 19 electoral votes in the bag and then high black turnout in Georgia and Detroit Michigan for the Democrat ticket would be enough to see her over the 270 line

I'm sure the Supreme Court will find a loophole somewhere.

They declared the 14th Amendment didn't apply to him. Or indeed the laws of the United States.

Tom Tugendhat has emerged as the leadership contender who is most popular with the public, according to a new Savanta poll shared with Sky News.

The former security minister, who ran for the leadership after Boris Johnson's tenure, has a net favourability of -3, compared with -28 for Priti Patel, the former home secretary who scored the lowest rating with the public.

https://news.sky.com/story/tory-leadership-contender-most-popular-with-public-revealed-in-poll-13184190

Not bad for Cleverly either at -9 and Badenoch at -12 better than Braverman at -23 and Patel.

Jenrick not polled
    edited July 24
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

*Everything* will fail.

Then there’s this

It’s a re-run of the Y2K problem, based on the number of seconds since UNIX was invented in 1970 no longer fitting a 32-bit integer.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,250
    I have just bought an artisanal cheese knife from juan the blacksmith who fashions daggars and swords from scrap metal in his own forge set in the 12th century walls of the fortified Templar town of Saint Eulalie-de-Cernon
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

They declared the 14th Amendment didn't apply to him. Or indeed the laws of the United States.
    I think Lawrence Tribe half jokingly said he expects SCOTUS to rule that the two term rules applies to two consecutive terms rather than two separate terms.
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

*Everything* will fail.

Then there’s this

It's 2^32 seconds have passed since midnight on January 1st 1970 or 03:14:07 UTC on 19 January 2038
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,521
    HYUFD said:

If she becomes competitive in Georgia it becomes interesting.

She can then afford to lose NV, AZ and one of WI/MI and still win, with PA.

If she is able to really start demonstrating multiple viable routes it becomes much more likely she wins.

I have said before that if the campaign essentially retreats to WI, MI, PA (which was, I think, going to be the only viable strategy for Biden) then it leaves so little room for error. If more states are in play, it means you can miss one or two here and there and still have a decent chance of getting to the 270.
    edited July 24

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

I think Lawrence Tribe half jokingly said he expects SCOTUS to rule that the two term rules applies to two consecutive terms rather than two separate terms.
    So the Putin approach - I'll just be PM rather than President for a while...

• Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,027

Good afternoon

"my one vote will not make much difference anyway"

Might do!
    To be honest I want to see their direction of travel before reconsiderng my membership

HYUFD said:

Not bad for Cleverly either at -9 and Badenoch at -12 better than Braverman at -23 and Patel.

Jenrick not polled
    Braverman isn't running I think ?
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,103
    ydoethur said:

Driver said:

Anyone leading TSE to deploy *that* Farage photo gets more like 15 years.
    OK but how about the Scottish commentary from Wales vs Scotland?
    https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3gFXxAnY1CI
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,689
    HYUFD said:

Jenrick not polled
    The lesser-known, the better they polled. If 'Beverley Saunders' had been on the list she'd have polled the best.
  • kjhkjh Posts: 11,517
    HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Relevant voodoo poll

Not at all gets 88%

I assume though (although I could be wrong) that Catholics are more likely to be Democrats and Conservative Evangelicals more likely Republican therefore the lose of the Catholic vote is more important.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,330
    Andy_JS said:

The Washington Times has consistently had a problem with every Democrat since FDR. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Of course some Catholics will have very strong views on abortion. So does Kamala but her views are radically different.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,473

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

*Everything* will fail.

Then there’s this

Edit: The Year 292,277,026,596 bug is the result of the upgrade to fix the Year 2038 bug.
    I was once tasked with writing a system (for an OS...) that would be able to track and measure dates into the far future and past. I based it on Julian Dates, but because they wanted it to be a worldwide system (where you could compare the dates and times of historic events, such as comets), I had to start taking into account locales - the local date and time (e.g. the different date son which countries changed from the Julian to Gregorian calendars).

It was fascinating stuff, but it soon got very, very complex, and was soon abandoned as unnecessary.

I bet someone's done it since.
  • MuesliMuesli Posts: 202

I suspect that’s generally because no-one really knows who Tom Tugendhat is.
    He’s the new Stuart/Stewart Lewis.
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

An Azure outage (which also happened on Friday) that takes down Dynamics (Friday's didn't) is I believe a notifiable event to the Bank of England given how core it is to retail banking.

Yes, on a good day to bury bad news for the IT world, the Crowdstrike debacle hid news of an Azure outage in one of Microsoft's datacentres, and our National Lottery being down for several hours after they borked a domain expiration and transfer.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

*Everything* will fail.
    Is that because the sun will by then expand to absorb the earth making electricals somewhat problematic?
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Relevant voodoo poll

Not at all gets 88%

I assume though (although I could be wrong) that Catholics are more likely to be Democrats and Conservative Evangelicals more likely Republican therefore the lose of the Catholic vote is more important.
    I know both Democrat and Republican Catholics.

It depends on whether you place a higher value on wealth distribution or social issues, as Catholics generally believe in both. If the Dems go hard on abortion, that has the potential to turn much of the Catholic vote Republican.
    edited July 24
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

*Everything* will fail.
    Is that because the sun will by then expand to absorb the earth making electricals somewhat problematic?
    Yep, we have 7.59 Billion years left apparently before being swallowed up - so earth is long gone by that year. If one of Elon Musk's descendants is planning on building a worldship (And it will be one of his descendants) then a calendar in sync with the earth/sun system isn't needed anyway.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

The Washington Times has consistently had a problem with every Democrat since FDR. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

Of course some Catholics will have very strong views on abortion. So does Kamala but her views are radically different.
    Aren't die-hard Catholics going to vote for Vance?

ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

*Everything* will fail.

Then there’s this

I was once tasked with writing a system (for an OS...) that would be able to track and measure dates into the far future and past. I based it on Julian Dates, but because they wanted it to be a worldwide system (where you could compare the dates and times of historic events, such as comets), I had to start taking into account locales - the local date and time (e.g. the different date son which countries changed from the Julian to Gregorian calendars).

It was fascinating stuff, but it soon got very, very complex, and was soon abandoned as unnecessary.

I bet someone's done it since.
    Start here: https://infiniteundo.com/post/25326999628/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-time
    edited July 24
    Andy_JS said:

I think that means pro-choice.

Her aggressive questioning of Kavanaugh on the issue touched a nerve.
    Leon said:

I have just bought an artisanal cheese knife from juan the blacksmith who fashions daggars and swords from scrap metal in his own forge set in the 12th century walls of the fortified Templar town of Saint Eulalie-de-Cernon

I would be careful if the blade is more than 3 inches long. Don't carry it in public.
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

It’s a change in tone from many Democrats, from being “Pro-Choice” to being “Pro-Abortion”.
    That was one of the most brilliantly serendipitous moments in a life of travel

As we approached the Templar ramparts of Saint Eulalie-de-Cernon I said to my daughter, as a joke

“I bet there’s an artisanal cutlery maker. There’s ALWAYS an artisanal cutlery maker. I intend to purchase a handmade knife”

And then…. there actually WAS an artisanal cutlery maker. And I purchased a handmade knife

Here he is. Juan the blacksmith

• FishingFishing Posts: 4,768
    Trump could have chosen Vance as a life insurance policy. If you're President, one of the things likely to make an assassin (or impeacher) pause is the idea that the VP will be even more extreme. He might accept a slight reduction in the chances of victory (and a narcissist like him is probably certain of it anyway) as a price that has to be paid.
  • MuesliMuesli Posts: 202
    HYUFD said:

Jenrick not polled
    From the article:

Mr Jenrick and Mr Stride were not included in Savanta's poll tracker because they did not run in the last leadership election.

Stride keeps dropping hints about running this time but I fully expect him to walk away from it in the end.
    HYUFD said:

Your advice to the Democrats has thus far been consistently wrong, so I'm laying Shapiro.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,260

Leon said:

In Britain you can buy pre-sliced cheese, so there's no need.
    That's what I buy, cheddar, medium strength. Just pop one between 2 slices of white bread and in a matter of seconds you have yourself a cheese sandwich.
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

She was spot on. At his nomination Kavanaugh said Roe was “settled as a precedent of the Supreme Court” and that it is “entitled the respect under principles of stare decisis.” He also said that “as a judge” he would respect the Roe precedent.

“And one of the important things to keep in mind about Roe v. Wade is that it has been reaffirmed many times over the past 45 years, as you know, and most prominently, most importantly, reaffirmed in Planned Parenthood v. Casey in 1992,” he continued. “When that came up, the Supreme Court didn’t reaffirm it in passing.”

Kavanaugh went on to explain that Casey very carefully and explicitly reaffirmed Roe under the plurality opinion by then-Justices Sandra Day O’Connor, Anthony Kennedy, and David Souter.

He's, to use a technical term, a lying shit.
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

I would be careful if the blade is more than 3 inches long. Don't carry it in public.
    It’s enormous. Its more like a cheese machete

Good afternoon

Interesting move. I wonder if they've always done this and if it usually results in a significant uptake.
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,212
    kjh said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

Relevant voodoo poll

Not at all gets 88%

But the Dem nominee was always going to be pro-choice and "traditional" Catholics were always going to have a problem with that. This isn't news and isn't specific to Harris.

Most actual Catholics, meanwhile, generally ignore what the Church has to say on at least contraception and often also on abortion.
    Buttigieg has come in overnight from over 30 to around 10.
    Kerching.
    Fishing said:

Trump could have chosen Vance as a life insurance policy. If you're President, one of the things likely to make an assassin (or impeacher) pause is the idea that the VP will be even more extreme. He might accept a slight reduction in the chances of victory (and a narcissist like him is probably certain of it anyway) as a price that has to be paid.

Wasn't it Nixon who said he chose Spiro Agnew as his running mate because the thought of President Agnew meant nobody would ever dare assassinate him?
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

That's what I suspected. Do not have it in your hand luggage.

HYUFD said:

Jenrick not polled
    The lesser-known, the better they polled. If 'Beverley Saunders' had been on the list she'd have polled the best.
    Shame about Chishti.

@HYUFD I have only seen a few of the comments earlier re the Falklands, but we have discussed this on an earlier occasion. The Falklands was not an easy war to win. If they had invaded the Isle of Wight it would have been, but the Falklands is much further away. The Exocet threat to the Aircraft Carriers was significant and could have ended the attempt there and then. The loss of the Atlantic Conveyor was key, depriving the Army of transport helicopters. It could have been worse.There are many more examples that put it on a knife edge, but to give one with the opinion of someone who should know:

The Argentinean Air Force bombed our ships too low to enable the arming of their bombs causing several direct hits not to explode. They fixed that issue.

Lord Craig, the retired Marshal of the Royal Air Force, is said to have remarked on that failure: "Six better fuses and we would have lost" I suspect he knows better than you or I. It was touch and go.
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

She was spot on. At his nomination Kavanaugh said Roe was “settled as a precedent of the Supreme Court” and that it is “entitled the respect under principles of stare decisis.” He also said that “as a judge” he would respect the Roe precedent.

“And one of the important things to keep in mind about Roe v. Wade is that it has been reaffirmed many times over the past 45 years, as you know, and most prominently, most importantly, reaffirmed in Planned Parenthood v. Casey in 1992,” he continued. “When that came up, the Supreme Court didn’t reaffirm it in passing.”

Kavanaugh went on to explain that Casey very carefully and explicitly reaffirmed Roe under the plurality opinion by then-Justices Sandra Day O’Connor, Anthony Kennedy, and David Souter.

And a sexual predator.
    Nigelb said:

HYUFD said:

Jenrick not polled
    Shame about Chishti.
    Is a belated apology in order?
    DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Fret not. I’ve learned my lesson a couple of times

Like two weeks ago, when Brittany Ferries confiscated my beloved old Spyderco Tenacious, which is not an easy knife to replace without spending ££££

I had no idea they scanned hand luggage for FERRIES. Twits
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,607
    Trump on the golf course:

https://youtu.be/6Rb9b8rYhII
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,212
    ydoethur said:

DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

And a sexual predator.
    He also lied about being a sexual predator.

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Wouldn't shock me at all.
    Nigelb said:

Kerching.

He would be an excellent choice. Him debating Vance would be genuinely hilarious.
    Nigelb said:

Kerching.

The market is telling us that the market hasn't a clue.
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    edited July 24
    DavidL said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

He would be an excellent choice. Him debating Vance would be genuinely hilarious.
    The Gay vs the Ex-Gay. Or Definitely Not Gay. Or My "Mentor" is Gay, but I'm Not Gay.

OK?

Welcome to America in 2024.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMdPj3HXMgQ
    Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

DavidL said:

Leon said:

Fret not. I’ve learned my lesson a couple of times

Like two weeks ago, when Brittany Ferries confiscated my beloved old Spyderco Tenacious, which is not an easy knife to replace without spending ££££

I had no idea they scanned hand luggage for FERRIES. Twits
    I did not know that either. That is bonkers because if you are on a bike or in a car there is no scanning and you can take anything from your bike or car onto the ship passenger area. I leave my pannier bags but carry my bag with my valuables and tools and that contains several items that wouldn't make it past aircraft security including a knife.

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Biggest LOL of the day:

I love RTM's story.

UK banks are the best.

*Everything* will fail.
    Not quite everything.

That's a while longer.
    https://www.quantamagazine.org/vacuum-of-space-to-decay-sooner-than-expected-but-still-not-soon-20240722/
    ...Recently, a group of physicists in Slovenia claimed to have found a small error in the calculation, one that quickens the end of the universe as we know it to 10^790 years, instead of 10^794..
    Nigelb said:

Kerching.

Playing it like a violin, Nigel, at the moment. Keep going.

Me, I'm taking a pause while I re-orientate and count my blessings (bookwise) from Joe becoming Kamala. I'm almost flat now instead of miles underwater.
This discussion has been closed.