Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

The choice of running mate by Kamala Harris could be crucial – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    edited July 24
    HYUFD said:

Liz Truss tells Fox news Kamala Harris is not qualified to lead America

https://x.com/LarrySabato/status/1816167815759491145

Kamala Harris told me that Liz Truss was the shittest PM the UK has ever had.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

There's just no word for what Truss is.
    It's a particularly stupid opinion as Harris has been VP with essentially no significant issue for over three years now. That's as good as you can get for being qualified to do the job short of already having held the job. Hell if you believe the loopier MAGA-GOP (who Truss is now clearly adjacent to) Harris and the Cabinet have been running things since Biden became too infirm to do so.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,103
    edited July 24

u

A reminder that Brexit was as much about stopping future EU authoritarian insanities being imposed on this FREE REALM as about reversing the existing ones.

"The European Union is exploring a controversial proposal to establish a centralized “Asset Register,” a comprehensive database designed to track citizens’ assets across the bloc. This initiative aims to combat money laundering and terrorist financing, but has also raised concerns on privacy and data protection.

The proposed register would encompass a wide range of assets, such as real estate, bank accounts, securities, vehicles, art, and precious metals. The final list will be determined based on the outcomes of a feasibility study and subsequent legislative decisions."

https://coinedition.com/eus-controversial-asset-registry-proposal-sparks-privacy-debate/

Without wanting to destroy your dreams but the UK government is already working on something similar for years.

If you oppose such a measure then you support tax evasion and terrorism.

I am limited to what I can say professionally but it's not just the EU.
    Of course they are, that is only to be expected. The difference is that they know they can be ejected from power in five years including top members in Portillo moments if they go too far and have to get it through both commons and lords with all sorts of press scrutiny

No such worries for the EU. How sad for our politicians it must be that they can no longer egg on the EU to do it behind closed doors in Bruxelles, then wring their hands and say that however bad it is, the EU have decided and to not rubber stamp it with secondary legislation under the 1972 EEC act would be an abuse of process.
    Thanks for proving you know not what you talk about on this subject.
    Even if it goes through, it will be subject to amendments and future repeal by a future government.

If we were still in the EU, an EU regulation would just be imposed, with no ability for parliament to amend or repeal it. (from memory EU regulations didn't even need UK "cover sheet" legislation once they gave themselves a legal personality under the European Constitution Treaty of Lisbon.
    See you're proving you know what you talk about, most of it is already in place.

I could fuck up your life by putting a CIFAS marker on your credit file.

You could get POCA'd senseless even if you haven't committed a crime.

I have the ability to share info with other financial institutions and obtain info on you.

We already have the Unexplained Wealth Orders.

I could go on.
    Oh I know. It is quite Kafkaesque. I once helped. (advised) a British Citizen relative who relocated back here after decades in Africa get a bank account. It was not easy.

Same with all those laws that try and turn landlords and employers into immigration officials.

Wouldn't mind so much if these things worked, but all they do is make life harder for honest citizens (and sometimes involve them in Kafkaesque nightmares) while the criminals soon find ways round it.
    When my bit of International Megacorp was sold to Global Megacorp, I was unable to prove to HR's satisfaction my right to work in Britain, despite having been born here and never having lived abroad. Eventually they got bored and decided my right to work must have been TUPE'd across. As you say Kafkaesque.

And that's betting without being debanked for no clear reason.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,632
    DougSeal said:

HYUFD said:

The exquisite judgment of Liz Truss is exactly what America has been looking for.
    To be fair her judgement is better than many recent judgements by their own courts.
  • Tim_in_RuislipTim_in_Ruislip Posts: 401
    edited July 24

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

I have just bought an artisanal cheese knife from juan the blacksmith who fashions daggars and swords from scrap metal in his own forge set in the 12th century walls of the fortified Templar town of Saint Eulalie-de-Cernon

The shards from a fractured, poorly made, cheese knife really detract from the whole cheese experience I find.

(I might consider a Japanese artisanal blacksmiths product, but with that one exception I'd avoid)
    I very much doubt I’m going to use it for cheese. It’s insanely impractical. I will likely make it my new letter opener (for which it is perfect - long and slender)

I have a lot of experience with knives. I’m slightly obsessed

I actually paid £500 for one knife from a dude who forges them from old car parts on Bodmin Moor

https://www.atkinson-art.co.uk/product-category/wolf-dingo-chef-knives-for-valhalla/
    In Nepal, we went to a forge to watch them making Kukris.

The source metal was leaf springs from ancient Mercedes trucks.
    Gosh, How Authentic!

I recall trekking days into the interior of Ethiopia and stumbling upon a meeting of orthodox Axiumite monks, returning from prayers, high up a mountain.

I felt incredibly honoured when they shared with me their beer, from a secret, quasi-biblical recipe.

A monk handed me a cloudy mixture, swirling around a rusty tin of nestle infant milk-formula.

Kinda spoiled it.
    glw said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

It's a particularly stupid opinion as Harris has been VP with essentially no significant issue for over three years now. That's as good as you can get for being qualified to do the job short of already having held the job. Hell if you believe the loopier MAGA-GOP (who Truss is now clearly adjacent to) Harris and the Cabinet have been running things since Biden became too infirm to do so.
    Whereas Liz Truss repeatedly demonstrated at both agriculture and the Foreign Office that she was unfit to run a whelk stall.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,103

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Buttigieg has come in overnight from over 30 to around 10.
    Kerching.

Playing it like a violin, Nigel, at the moment. Keep going.

Me, I'm taking a pause while I re-orientate and count my blessings (bookwise) from Joe becoming Kamala. I'm almost flat now instead of miles underwater.
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

Me, I'm taking a pause while I re-orientate and count my blessings (bookwise) from Joe becoming Kamala. I'm almost flat now instead of miles underwater.
    Good work. I fucked my position.

I was +£360 on the pair of them 2 weeks ago, but got greedy.
    I cashed out a few days ago, as I haven't a clue who it will be.
    Then saw Pete B had drifted out over 30. Which seemed daft, as he's probably got almost as good a chance as any of half a dozen of them.
    Took my stake back out around 9.
    Good work.

I need Beto O'Rourke or Ossoff to come in to make my book up again!

Somewhat unlikely.
    Beto O'Rourke - He was the future once....
    Beto was the KLOBUCHAR of his generation.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,521
    It they’re not careful, Liz Truss is potentially going to be the millstone around the neck of every Tory leader for years to come.

Every time she pops up right-minded people are going to say to themselves “oh look, it’s that insane lunatic Liz Truss saying something dense again, god weren’t the Tories negligent in the extreme to put her in charge of the country” and it will remind everyone about just how ridiculous the Tories got at their nadir.

They should Krushchev secret speech her and forever banish her from the annals of the Party. Only a full repudiation will do. Even then it might not work.
  • HYUFD said:

She knows who Truss is, then? That's a hell of a result for Liz - fair play to her.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,607

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

Then saw Pete B had drifted out over 30. Which seemed daft, as he's probably got almost as good a chance as any of half a dozen of them.
    Good work.

Somewhat unlikely.
    Klobuchar could be a dark horse for VP? An all-female ticket to emphasise the difference with Trump-Vance.
    edited July 24

HYUFD said:

She knows who Truss is, then? That's a hell of a result for Liz - fair play to her.
    Even Tim Farron knew who Liz Truss was.

The party activist who secured the Liberal Democrats their best election result in the age of universal suffrage.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,027
    HYUFD said:

Oh dear - will someone exile Truss to irrelevance immediately

HYUFD said:

Irrelevance has done nothing bad enough to deserve it.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 19,796
    HYUFD said:

A keeper!
  • HYUFD said:

"And you join us for news of a shock Labour GAIN in Irrelevance North".
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,687
    edited July 24

It they’re not careful, Liz Truss is potentially going to be the millstone around the neck of every Tory leader for years to come.

Every time she pops up right-minded people are going to say to themselves “oh look, it’s that insane lunatic Liz Truss saying something dense again, god weren’t the Tories negligent in the extreme to put her in charge of the country” and it will remind everyone about just how ridiculous the Tories got at their nadir.

They should Krushchev secret speech her and forever banish her from the annals of the Party. Only a full repudiation will do. Even then it might not work.

I think you'll find we just had the nadir - all 175 lost seats of it. And that was under the self-titled 'grown ups'.

Given that the democrats thought nothing of trashing the democratic niceties to attack Truss's policies publicly (though to be fair, Biden was probably already considerably impaired by that time), I am not surprised she considers it fair game to speak her mind on US politics.
  • JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 41,473

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

I have just bought an artisanal cheese knife from juan the blacksmith who fashions daggars and swords from scrap metal in his own forge set in the 12th century walls of the fortified Templar town of Saint Eulalie-de-Cernon

The shards from a fractured, poorly made, cheese knife really detract from the whole cheese experience I find.

(I might consider a Japanese artisanal blacksmiths product, but with that one exception I'd avoid)
    I very much doubt I’m going to use it for cheese. It’s insanely impractical. I will likely make it my new letter opener (for which it is perfect - long and slender)

I actually paid £500 for one knife from a dude who forges them from old car parts on Bodmin Moor

https://www.atkinson-art.co.uk/product-category/wolf-dingo-chef-knives-for-valhalla/

Gosh, How Authentic!

I recall trekking days into the interior of Ethiopia and stumbling upon a meeting of orthodox Axiumite monks, returning from prayers, high up a mountain.

I felt incredibly honoured when they shared with me their beer, from a secret, quasi-biblical recipe.

A monk handed me a cloudy mixture, swirling around a rusty tin of nestle infant milk-formula.

Kinda spoiled it.
    I remember being on the last train on a Friday night out of Glasgow for Fort William, and sharing in the ritual drinking of beer out of a load of six packs with the natives. All good fun, and much understanding despite our mutually weird, near-indecipherable languages.

A ritual destroyed by the Scottish government, sadly. The loss of such ancient rituals is a silent form of imperialism, allowing the oppressors to continue drinking in their motorhomes... ;)

Compare and contrast with the dignified way May has behaved since her party dethroned her. Or even (shudders to say) Boris.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,119

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

Good work.

Somewhat unlikely.
    Klobuchar could be a dark horse for VP? An all-female ticket to emphasise the difference with Trump-Vance.
    All caps please: KLOBUCHAR
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    WillG said:

HYUFD said:

Kamala Harris has a Bachelors in Economics and Political Science and a Doctorate in Law. She passed the Bar exam on her first attempt. She worked in various law jobs for 14 years, including stints covering homicide, sexual assault and child abuse. She was then District Attorney for San Francisco for seven years, Attorney General for California for six years, US Senator for California for four years (including serving on the Judiciary Committee, the Budget Committee and the Homeland Security Committee) and US Vice President for four years.

At what point can we just call racism what it is?
    It Truss thinks Harris isn't qualified what the hell must she think about the convicted felon and rapist Trump?
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,026

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.
    I remember being on the last train on a Friday night out of Glasgow for Fort William, and sharing in the ritual drinking of beer out of a load of six packs with the natives. All good fun, and much understanding despite our mutually weird, near-indecipherable languages.

A ritual destroyed by the Scottish government, sadly. The loss of such ancient rituals is a silent form of imperialism, allowing the oppressors to continue drinking in their motorhomes... ;)
    What - can you not drink on the train in Scotland?
  • turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 16,910
    Omnium said:

kjh said:

@HYUFD I have only seen a few of the comments earlier re the Falklands, but we have discussed this on an earlier occasion. The Falklands was not an easy war to win. If they had invaded the Isle of Wight it would have been, but the Falklands is much further away. The Exocet threat to the Aircraft Carriers was significant and could have ended the attempt there and then. The loss of the Atlantic Conveyor was key, depriving the Army of transport helicopters. It could have been worse.There are many more examples that put it on a knife edge, but to give one with the opinion of someone who should know:

The Argentinean Air Force bombed our ships too low to enable the arming of their bombs causing several direct hits not to explode. They fixed that issue.

Lord Craig, the retired Marshal of the Royal Air Force, is said to have remarked on that failure: "Six better fuses and we would have lost" I suspect he knows better than you or I. It was touch and go.

The Falklands could easily have been a disaster.

The Royal Navy took a hammering as it was.
    It was a disaster. The FO should have foreseen some degree of possible aggression. The RN should have had something like a defence against exocet.

The greatest sea-power the world has ever known was nearly humiliated by a half-arsed invasion army and a few obsolete ships.

It's not clear that the RN has really functioned properly since about 1812.
    I think that’s unfair. Read the history of the navy in WW2. The missing bit from most D-Day histories is how preponderant the Royal Navy was, and how well it did it’s job. In 1940 the glory is given to the RAF for winning the Battle of Britain, but even if the RAF had lost, the battle of the channel would have been a crushing disaster for the Germans.
    The sadness was the decline between then and 1982, but with no empire to defend and extract money from, the navy had to shrink.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,227
    WillG said:

HYUFD said:

Kamala Harris has a Bachelors in Economics and Political Science and a Doctorate in Law. She passed the Bar exam on her first attempt. She worked in various law jobs for 14 years, including stints covering homicide, sexual assault and child abuse. She was then District Attorney for San Francisco for seven years, Attorney General for California for six years, US Senator for California for four years (including serving on the Judiciary Committee, the Budget Committee and the Homeland Security Committee) and US Vice President for four years.

You can call it when you find it.

Truss isn't a racist.

She's an idiot.
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

Since Covid. As far as I know, the ban has not been lifted.

https://www.scotrail.co.uk/about-scotrail/our-rules-travel/alcohol-ban

There are some 'dry trains' in England (don't know about Wales...) but AIUI that's a response to previous issues on the services. Scotland's ban was/is on all services.

Nigelb said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

Kerching.

Good work.

Somewhat unlikely.
    Beto was, is and always will be the future.

But only in his own mind.
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366

WillG said:

HYUFD said:

Truss isn't a racist.

She's an idiot.
    Presumably she is on record as saying various white nominees for president are unqualified? Such as reality TV star Donald Trump? Or is the "unqualified" tag restricted to a black woman who has served as AG for the largest state, US Senator and Vice President?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,366
    edited July 24
    Why is anybody taking anything Truss is saying seriously. If she wasn't before, she is absolute bonkers now. The deep state out to get everybody stuff. Reminds me of Plato formally of this parish.

But she isn't racist, just mad.
  • TweedledeeTweedledee Posts: 1,405

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

I have a Sudanese dagger made from a Land Rover leaf spring.

Makes you wonder whether Sudan and Nepal came on the same technique independently. Same with Pol Pot's cremation on a heap of old tyres doused with diesel which is also the traditional way of starting a bonfire in this bit of rural England.
  • It they’re not careful, Liz Truss is potentially going to be the millstone around the neck of every Tory leader for years to come.

Compare and contrast with the dignified way May has behaved since her party dethroned her. Or even (shudders to say) Boris.
    I slightly worry about Johnson. He really doesn't look okay.
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 62,027

WillG said:

HYUFD said:

Truss isn't a racist.

She's an idiot.
    I would say she is a total embarrassment, not just to the conservative party, but the country and it is most satisfying that her electorate showed her the red card
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,534

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

There are some 'dry trains' in England (don't know about Wales...) but AIUI that's a response to previous issues on the services. Scotland's ban was/is on all services.
    Someone should tell the massively drunk teenagers who are filling the trains and buses.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

I slightly worry about Johnson. He really doesn't look okay.
    What's wrong - has his hair become tidy?
    edited July 24

I think you'll find we just had the nadir - all 175 lost seats of it. And that was under the self-titled 'grown ups'.

Given that the democrats thought nothing of trashing the democratic niceties to attack Truss's policies publicly (though to be fair, Biden was probably already considerably impaired by that time), I am not surprised she considers it fair game to speak her mind on US politics.
    What I find odd about you, more than anything, is that those who broadly agree with what Truss was trying to do should really be the FIRST to want her to, er, keep a dignified silence.

She is just killing the policy position you espouse every time she appears.
    Quite.

@Luckyguy1983 , I think you have some well thought out political positions. But I must admit I don’t understand your support of Truss as a messenger for them. Part of the reason why a lot of those ideas have been discredited in current public discourse is down to the way that she tried to institute them, and her lack of political nous/talent.

What I find odd about you, more than anything, is that those who broadly agree with what Truss was trying to do should really be the FIRST to want her to, er, keep a dignified silence.

She really isn't. Beyond the centrist gammons of PB having apoplectic fits and banging their little paws on the table every time Truss dares to have an opinion, most of the world either doesn't know, doesn't care, is mildly diverted, thinks she's a bit crazy, or thinks she's right - in about that order. The world isn't PB.

Omnium said:

kjh said:

@HYUFD I have only seen a few of the comments earlier re the Falklands, but we have discussed this on an earlier occasion. The Falklands was not an easy war to win. If they had invaded the Isle of Wight it would have been, but the Falklands is much further away. The Exocet threat to the Aircraft Carriers was significant and could have ended the attempt there and then. The loss of the Atlantic Conveyor was key, depriving the Army of transport helicopters. It could have been worse.There are many more examples that put it on a knife edge, but to give one with the opinion of someone who should know:

The Argentinean Air Force bombed our ships too low to enable the arming of their bombs causing several direct hits not to explode. They fixed that issue.

Lord Craig, the retired Marshal of the Royal Air Force, is said to have remarked on that failure: "Six better fuses and we would have lost" I suspect he knows better than you or I. It was touch and go.

The Falklands could easily have been a disaster.

The Royal Navy took a hammering as it was.
    It was a disaster. The FO should have foreseen some degree of possible aggression. The RN should have had something like a defence against exocet.

The greatest sea-power the world has ever known was nearly humiliated by a half-arsed invasion army and a few obsolete ships.

It's not clear that the RN has really functioned properly since about 1812.
    I think that’s unfair. Read the history of the navy in WW2. The missing bit from most D-Day histories is how preponderant the Royal Navy was, and how well it did it’s job. In 1940 the glory is given to the RAF for winning the Battle of Britain, but even if the RAF had lost, the battle of the channel would have been a crushing disaster for the Germans.
    The sadness was the decline between then and 1982, but with no empire to defend and extract money from, the navy had to shrink.
    I do not say they cannot come, I only say they cannot come by sea
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,426

Fffs said:

Workfare in the United Kingdom is a system of welfare regulations put into effect by UK governments at various times. Individuals subject to workfare must undertake work in return for their welfare benefit payments or risk losing them. Workfare policies are politically controversial (but not among SKS fans)

"The neutrality of this article is disputed."
    Which bit SKS fans are in favour of forcing disabled to people work aren't they.

The NHS advisor they brought in certainly is

But then again Alan Milburn has always been a ****
    Given that disabled now covers millions of people with all sorts of conditions, most of whom are both quite capable of working and likely to benefit (mental health wise) from doing so, what is the issue?

Craig Mckinlay (ex MP) has no arms or legs but I'm sure would be outraged if you say he is incapable of working.

My wife is a quadriplegic as a result of Clinical Negligence.

I will let you tell her going back to work after she has had her bowels manually evacuated and her suprapubic Catheter flushed out will be good for her mental health.

Do you want her to paint railings with a mouth paint brush and will you be available to manually hoist her for the high bits?
    I'm don't think that's a fair response to what Mr Bedfordshire is saying. Of course there are many who can no longer work, but there are also many who wish to.
    There were 5.53 million working-age disabled people in employment in October to December 2023, an increase of 338,000 from October to December 2022. The employment rate of disabled people was 54.2%, up from 52.7% a year previously.

The poster for whom you are sticking up basically says 95% are wagging it

Perhaps fuck off would have been a better more reasoned response.

I am going now this is very personal
    Is there any actual data on how many of those who are registered as disabled, and not in work, *want* to work?

Sometimes it is a matter of matching work to capabilities. I recall a local lawyer (in Oxford) who hired people with various long term conditions to proof read on a piece work basis. The work was non time critical, and in fairly small pieces - so they could do it when they could do it.
    WillG said:

WillG said:

HYUFD said:

Truss isn't a racist.

She's an idiot.
    Presumably she is on record as saying various white nominees for president are unqualified? Such as reality TV star Donald Trump? Or is the "unqualified" tag restricted to a black woman who has served as AG for the largest state, US Senator and Vice President?
    There isn't any white Dem nominee.

If there was she would be saying it.

Truss is spouting crap because she's desperate for someone to pay attention to her and likely because she wants to grift some MAGA money.

If you think Truss is racist why were there so many non-white people in her cabinet:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Truss_ministry
  • CookieCookie Posts: 13,026

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

That's a shame. And also bloody irrelevant to controlling covid. Another example of the mystical "if only we deny ourselves enough we will be spared" belief.
    Typical Sturgeon.
    ohnotnow said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

Someone should tell the massively drunk teenagers who are filling the trains and buses.
    The Scotrail ban may have been lifted - sadly, I don't get to spend anywhere near as much time in Scotland as I used to .

But it's perhaps one of these laws that's in place not to stop offending per se, but to give the authorities a reason to arrest you if they don't like you for some other reason...
  • WillGWillG Posts: 2,366

WillG said:

HYUFD said:

Have you actually watched the clip, or is this attack based on the words of Larry the cat. Truss doesn't mention the word 'qualified' anywhere in her interview, she suggests that Harris has a record of failing to deliver in her task of controlling immigration. You may find that attack justified or unjustified, but it has nothing to do with Harris's academic qualifications.

Furthermore, it really devalues the meaning of the word 'racism' when the accusation is slung around by people like some kind of dirty protest. Did Truss racistly hire Kwasi Kwarteng as her Chancellor and right hand (and racistly have an alleged affair with him before that)? Also finding time to racistly hire Suella Braverman, James Cleverly, Alok Sharma, Ranil Jayawardena, Nadhim Zahawi and Kemi Badenoch?
    That is fair - I assumed HYUFD and the Tweeter were accurately representing what she said in the clip. If she has called her unqualified, that would have been racist, but given she didn't I retract the claim.

In my defence, I started watching the clip but Truss has such a grating voice, I had to stop.

She really isn't. Beyond the centrist gammons of PB having apoplectic fits and banging their little paws on the table every time Truss dares to have an opinion, most of the world either doesn't know, doesn't care, is mildly diverted, thinks she's a bit crazy, or thinks she's right - in about that order. The world isn't PB.
    Truss is incapable of having an opinion.
    WillG said:

WillG said:

HYUFD said:

Have you actually watched the clip, or is this attack based on the words of Larry the cat. Truss doesn't mention the word 'qualified' anywhere in her interview, she suggests that Harris has a record of failing to deliver in her task of controlling immigration. You may find that attack justified or unjustified, but it has nothing to do with Harris's academic qualifications.

Furthermore, it really devalues the meaning of the word 'racism' when the accusation is slung around by people like some kind of dirty protest. Did Truss racistly hire Kwasi Kwarteng as her Chancellor and right hand (and racistly have an alleged affair with him before that)? Also finding time to racistly hire Suella Braverman, James Cleverly, Alok Sharma, Ranil Jayawardena, Nadhim Zahawi and Kemi Badenoch?
    That is fair - I assumed HYUFD and the Tweeter were accurately representing what she said in the clip. If she has called her unqualified, that would have been racist, but given she didn't I retract the claim.

In my defence, I started watching the clip but Truss has such a grating voice, I had to stop.
    That. Is. A. Disgrace.
    ydoethur said:

glw said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

Whereas Liz Truss repeatedly demonstrated at both agriculture and the Foreign Office that she was unfit to run a whelk stall.
    The well known whelk-blob were responsible for her stall catching alight and burning down the nearby church and orphanage.
  • It they’re not careful, Liz Truss is potentially going to be the millstone around the neck of every Tory leader for years to come.

I take it from this you don't knock on doors. She's toxic. I actually think that's a little unfair, but she is.

Quite.

@Luckyguy1983 , I think you have some well thought out political positions. But I must admit I don’t understand your support of Truss as a messenger for them. Part of the reason why a lot of those ideas have been discredited in current public discourse is down to the way that she tried to institute them, and her lack of political nous/talent.
    The point is, it isn't Truss, it *is* the political positions. Truss was always awkward, an alleged shagger, fond of photo ops - but she was never mocked and pilloried as she is today - she was actually pretty widely respected as a loyal, careerist Trade and Foreign Sec. The mockery is because of the positions she took and the change that she tried to bring about.

I have immense respect for her refusing to shut up and play dead, and continuing the espouse her views, which align fairly closely with my views.

I'm on some largely US-based (broadly pro/sympathetic to Trump/GOP) IT/AI forums and the other day they were posting #lizfail memes. I think they know full well who and what she is.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,875
    Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

I want to be polite, but that rather buttonholes you as the sort of chap who buys Manuka Honey for it's UNIQUE HEALING PROPERTIES.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,741
    edited July 24

Quite.

The point is, it isn't Truss, it *is* the political positions. Truss was always awkward, an alleged shagger, fond of photo ops - but she was never mocked and pilloried as she is today - she was actually pretty widely respected as a loyal, careerist Trade and Foreign Sec. The mockery is because of the positions she took and the change that she tried to bring about.

I have immense respect for her refusing to shut up and play dead, and continuing the espouse her views, which align fairly closely with my views.
    She was mocked long before her infamous belly flop as PM.

THAT.IS.A.DISGRACE
    WillG said:

WillG said:

HYUFD said:

She does talk about the crazy situation of Biden remaining in office when everyone in America knew he was not up to the job. We had seven whole weeks of that.
    edited July 24

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Makes you wonder whether Sudan and Nepal came on the same technique independently. Same with Pol Pot's cremation on a heap of old tyres doused with diesel which is also the traditional way of starting a bonfire in this bit of rural England.
    And the same was true of bonfires in NI.

Sadly, the woke types have moved the natives onto using pallet wood (full of toxic chemicals as well). Just not the same.

On the leaf spring thing. If you’ve got a pile of them, they are fairly obvious feedstock for knives etc - right shape, tough steel.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,768

HYUFD said:

The concern is that Truss does know something about not being qualified to lead.
  • ohnotnow said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

The Scotrail ban may have been lifted - sadly, I don't get to spend anywhere near as much time in Scotland as I used to .

But it's perhaps one of these laws that's in place not to stop offending per se, but to give the authorities a reason to arrest you if they don't like you for some other reason...
    Did it apply to Avanti / LNER services to London. That must have knackered the onboard at seat catering?
    ohnotnow said:

I'm on some largely US-based (broadly pro/sympathetic to Trump/GOP) IT/AI forums and the other day they were posting #lizfail memes. I think they know full well who and what she is.
    I think that's amply covered within my examples.
    edited July 24
    Omnium said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Yeah I remember you mentioning those ages ago.

I'd love to have a few really good knives for cooking, but what I have are fine, and my purchases of the odd expensive knife here and there haven't relaced my simple set.

Bladed weapons are beautiful but scary. You almost never see the real thing (for obvious reasons). I once owned a really nice kukuri but it was stolen.

I bought a Kukri at the Ideal Home Exhibition in, I think, 1978, for £3.50, at the age of 11, with no presence of adults.
  • DougSealDougSeal Posts: 12,527

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

Johnson put paid to drinking on the Tube. Which was a shame.
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

I want to be polite, but that rather buttonholes you as the sort of chap who buys Manuka Honey for it's UNIQUE HEALING PROPERTIES.
    OK I know this one. Manuka honey is a seriously good wound dressing because it sucks the heart out of bacteria by osmosis (liquid seeping out of the bacterium into the honey through the semi permeable membrane of the bacterium's outside).

The bad news is this works equally well with Tesco value squeezy honey at 59p a pot not £59.

I take it from this you don't knock on doors. She's toxic. I actually think that's a little unfair, but she is.
    Then all the more reason to keep making the arguments. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    edited July 24

Then all the more reason to keep making the arguments. First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
    Not Always.

It's a common misunderstanding that one automatically follows the other.

It can, but usually doesn't.

Often, they just laugh at you.

Like we did with Liz.

Quite.

She was often mocked - but she was also a minor bit-player so never 'hit the headlines'. I don't think I've ever met anyone before or after she became PM - whether right or left - who respected Liz Truss. Maybe it's my bubble.

But I really don't understand why anyone would still defend her. She was rubbish. Whether I agree with what she was trying to do or not. Just .... really rubbish.
  • EScrymgeourEScrymgeour Posts: 136
    Cookie said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

You can on LNER after 11.30am. with an exception on Friday morning Aberdeen to London. To many rig workers heading home were causing trouble.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

ohnotnow said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

Did it apply to Avanti / LNER services to London. That must have knackered the onboard at seat catering?
    Not LNER. Dunno about the 'Weegie wagons though.

https://www.lner.co.uk/first-class-travel/menu/
    DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

His point on why - violence, abuse of women etc - was rather neatly made by the protest mounted at Liverpool Street Station the day the ban on booze on the tube came in.

A number of arrests for drunk and disorderly, harassment of female passers by etc etc

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

I only want a knife forged in the fires of Mount Doom.
    Angrist is what you want then.
    Angrist was forged by Telchar of Nogrod in the White Mountains. Not Mount Doom.
    Telchar’s stuff was *the* shit.

Need a sword to reduce Sauron’s finger count?

Need a knife to prise jewels out of the Devil’s crown?

Shop Smart. Shop Nogrod.

Edit: Telchar would have probably made the One Ring into cuff links, for the LOLs.
    I'm not totally convinced this is solving your reputation.

I would go for Gurthang, since it was used to kill Brodda. Anyone called Brodda just deserves it.

Brodda is a name more suitable for a lawnmower, like Brott the Half-Brick Chucker.
    ohnotnow said:

Quite.

She was often mocked - but she was also a minor bit-player so never 'hit the headlines'. I don't think I've ever met anyone before or after she became PM - whether right or left - who respected Liz Truss. Maybe it's my bubble.

But I really don't understand why anyone would still defend her. She was rubbish. Whether I agree with what she was trying to do or not. Just .... really rubbish.
    She was as rubbish as Rishi Sunak. But she tried with some bravery to affect positive change. Whereas he didn't. There is a gulf of difference between the respect I'm going to give the first, and the respect I'm going to give the second.

Truss never had an idea in her life beyond fangirl cargo cult lafferism. Are we even talking about the same person?
    edited July 24

ohnotnow said:

Quite.

She was as rubbish as Rishi Sunak. But she tried with some bravery to affect positive change. Whereas he didn't. There is a gulf of difference between the respect I'm going to give the first, and the respect I'm going to give the second.
    No, Dude.

Your girl was worse than Rishi;

Much worse.

It woz embarassing.

MattW said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

OK I know this one. Manuka honey is a seriously good wound dressing because it sucks the heart out of bacteria by osmosis (liquid seeping out of the bacterium into the honey through the semi permeable membrane of the bacterium's outside).

The bad news is this works equally well with Tesco value squeezy honey at 59p a pot not £59.
    What I love about manuka honey is how they know the bees having been getting there nectar from other plants than manuka. Tiny cameras on each of 40000 in the hive?
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 5,214

WillG said:

HYUFD said:

With politics I have come to the firm conclusion that all sides are as mad as each other, a longstanding cliche perhaps. The liberals lost their sanity completely around 2020 when they went all in down the road of identity politics, supporting BLM riots in the middle of the pandemic for instance. But the 'right' aren't really much better, they are another version of the same thing, the same panic driven irrationality. The best thing to do is to not get sucked in to one side as Truss is doing here. Just try and keep an open mind.

One thing I would say reading the comments on here, is that many posters just seem to be very deep in the 'liberal hive' around Harris, the accusation of racism gets dug out a lot in the face of any doubt about her abilities. But it should be possible to wish her well whilst at the same time making similar points to what Truss was saying in this interview: ie that she is responsible for the current illegal immigration situation, etc etc.

• bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,212
    WillG said:

HYUFD said:

Maybe it’s not racism from Liz? Truss will pathetically parrot any Republican talking point they feed her, and the GOP would undoubtedly have come out with some nonsense criticism of any Dem of any race/gender/sexuality. So it’s probably GOP racism, but Truss cravenness.

That ain’t what the polling says.

But I agree with you it’s completely unfair to label her racist.
    (While at the same time noting that the GOP has had to instruct their own representatives to drop the racism when talking about Harris. Which is probably where the notion of that being part of it came from.)

Truss is doing that in reverse, isn't she?

First, she won. Then they fought her. Now they're laughing at her. In a year or two...
    Whilst she still has the boiled piss contingent on PB to depend on, I can't see her ever being ignored.
  • DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

For a start it means he can't take the Tube himself any more. Bit of an own goal.
    edited July 24

Quite.

I respectfully disagree. I think she was always an awkward, slightly comical, stilted figure. Her over promotion to some of the higher offices in the land exposed this to a wider audience, and exacerbated her failings and lack of frontline political talent. Her behaviour since losing office just perpetuates the feeling.

I don’t have any tremendous joy in ripping Liz Truss to shreds. I think my posting history shows I felt very sorry for her on a personal level at the time she left office, and I think she could’ve carved out a fairly decent career as a middle ranking policy-focussed figure. She was just overpromoted and it’s created a monster.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,547
    Can anyone explain to me why a man being kicked in the head by a police officer is a bigger story than a soldier in uniform being stabbed up to seventy times. I notice the latter is no longer on the BBC front page.

I have my own suspicions but I've never been involved in news production.
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

No, it’s just that he has more silly money than do most of us.

Truss is doing that in reverse, isn't she?

First, she won. Then they fought her. Now they're laughing at her. In a year or two...
    Whilst she still has the boiled piss contingent on PB to depend on, I can't see her ever being ignored.
    She doesn't even make it as a piss boiler, maybe one degree above ambient on a really good day. I'm no royalist but KC fucking nailed it. You again? Oh dear.

ohnotnow said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/scotrail-alcohol-ban-public-5050-split-on-whether-ban-on-drinking-on-scotland-trains-should-end-4561232

I do like a beer on the train but would cope fine with some low/no alcohol cider or sparkling water for a few hours. I think a lot of the public are genuinely relieved by it. I recall being on a late train from Aberdeen with a schoolgirl on the opposite seat who was obviously intimidated by the boisterousa drinkers around us.

Add the fact that it makes things a lot easier for the staff and polis and the company timekeeping wise.

MattW said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

What I love about manuka honey is how they know the bees having been getting there nectar from other plants than manuka. Tiny cameras on each of 40000 in the hive?
    A guilty pleasure of mine is a New Zealand 'cosy' detective show called The Brokenwood Mysteries. There is a whole episode given over to a mysterious murder on a Manuka honey farm.

I SHALL SAY NO MORE...

(because I can't remember many details apart from that)

Truss never had an idea in her life beyond fangirl cargo cult lafferism. Are we even talking about the same person?
    There's a subtle (well, complete) difference between not having an idea, and having an idea that you happen to disagree with.

DougSeal said:

Cookie said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

For a start it means he can't take the Tube himself any more. Bit of an own goal.
    You think it applies to him? You don't learn.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 16,965
    "Vance has no conviction but his running mate has 34".

Clever soundbite from the Harris team.

Can anyone explain to me why a man being kicked in the head by a police officer is a bigger story than a soldier in uniform being stabbed up to seventy times. I notice the latter is no longer on the BBC front page.

The latter is not regarded as a terrorist incident, apparently.

Whereas dog bites man, or polis beats someone up in public, is more of a story than the other way round ...
  • bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 10,212

I really don’t think Truss is going to get past stage 2 of that…
    ohnotnow said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

A guilty pleasure of mine is a New Zealand 'cosy' detective show called The Brokenwood Mysteries. There is a whole episode given over to a mysterious murder on a Manuka honey farm.

I SHALL SAY NO MORE...

(because I can't remember many details apart from that)
    It had better be a big farm. Those bees forage for miles!
    FF43 said:

"Vance has no conviction but his running mate has 34".

Clever soundbite from the Harris team.

It's dreadful.

Honestly, who writes these things?

It should be, 'Vance has no convictions but his running mate has 34.'
    Carnyx said:

Whereas dog bites man, or polis beats someone up in public, is more of a story than the other way round ...
    Although reportedly counter terror police are now involved in the stabbing case.

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

You are arguing that post-millennial Glaswegians are sober?

They live, presumably, on ice cream and teacakes.
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,274

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Check out the US TV show "Forged in Fire" where blacksmiths, knife makers and other metal workers compete to the that episode's champion.

For raw material they frequently recycle all kinds of stuff, include car parts quite often.

As I've come to understand, thanks to "FiF" is that different kinds of steel have different qualities; my guess is that car springs (or at least Land Rover springs) make good knives AND are readily available in Sudanese or Nepalese junk yards & the like, thanks to local road conditions.
    Carnyx said:

Surely the latter is just an ordinary evening in the Met?
  • Can anyone explain to me why a man being kicked in the head by a police officer is a bigger story than a soldier in uniform being stabbed up to seventy times. I notice the latter is no longer on the BBC front page.

Firstly, the stabbing story was the top news story, but the news moves fast.

Secondly, the indication is the stabbing was mental health rather than terror related. That doesn't make it any less dreadful for the man or his family, but being awful isn't the test of news. Whereas discipline within the ranks of the Police is of wider relevance.

The video of the man being kicked in the head looks terrible. However, the video is suspiciously truncated to that moment. Which always makes me wonder quite what happened beforehand.

(And yes, police should not be kicking someone in the head. But the context of *why* it happened does matter IMO, as it turns an atrocious act into something more understandable.)

MattW said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Just look at the honey uinder a microscope? Any half decent palynologist can tell you in a few minutes what thje proportion of manuka pollen vs the rest is.
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,547

Carnyx said:

Although reportedly counter terror police are now involved in the stabbing case.
    Could there be concerns about copycat incidents? That's all I can think of. It's strange how the story seems to have drifted out of the news.
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Omnium said:

Leon said:

Gosh, How Authentic!

Kinda spoiled it.

You are arguing that post-millennial Glaswegians are sober?

They live, presumably, on ice cream and teacakes.
    Only the Glaswegians going to Fort Bill. :)

Incidentally, when I booked the B&B a couple of days before, I apologised to the landlady, saying I would be in a little late, as I was catching the last train. She said not to bother, as her hubby was the guard on the train...

Quite.

I respectfully disagree. I think she was always an awkward, slightly comical, stilted figure. Her over promotion to some of the higher offices in the land exposed this to a wider audience, and exacerbated her failings and lack of frontline political talent. Her behaviour since losing office just perpetuates the feeling.

I don’t have any tremendous joy in ripping Liz Truss to shreds. I think my posting history shows I felt very sorry for her on a personal level at the time she left office, and I think she could’ve carved out a fairly decent career as a middle ranking policy-focussed figure. She was just overpromoted and it’s created a monster.
    When I supported Mordaunt and condemned Truss's awkward candidature here, I was told quite firmly that Truss's experiences in the big roles made her by far the superior and less risky candidate.

As for her being over-promoted, she also lacked a high calibre team and people fixing stuff for her in the background. Powerful figures like Airey Neave and Norman Tebbit did a lot of paddling so Thatcher could be the swan.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,524
    edited July 24

Tell us your suspicions.

I expect the reasons are

1) There's video footage of the GMP rozzer

2) We expect better of the police (stop sniggering at the back.)

3) Last week there was a horrific report about the shameful behaviour of GMP where they promised lessons had been learned then they do something like this.
This discussion has been closed.