Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Can I Tell You a Secret? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    King's speech is Tuesday.

May include bill to auto enrol voters.
  • MPartridgeMPartridge Posts: 174
    Biden now 3.65 for democrat nominee
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

stjohn said:

Biden has just introduced Zelensky to the NATO summit as President Putin!

https://x.com/danwootton/status/1811518354739331356

Please. make it stop
    Omg this is actually dangerous
    Fucking hell

He has to go THIS WEEKEND

The Democrats deserve to die forever for this, if only the alternative wasn't Trump
    The scary thing is for all people saying they didn't want this, Biden and Trump probably were the preferred choices of their respective parties.

I'd still be angrier at the GOP for abandoning all morals to back a criminal, since Trump is dangerous regardless of his mental state, but as much as I was for a Democrat bluff until November, the bluff has been revealed too early, and Biden is not up to a campaign, never mind the presidency.
    To be fair, Biden rescues that pretty well.

But one has to wonder, as a full time cynic, whether he had an earpiece and someone shouted 'no, not putin'.???
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842
    I'm on Harris to be POTUS after 2024 election at 11/1. I've just added to my position at 6/1.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907
    What’s Starmer supposed to say . Really some of the journalists questions are ridiculous .
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 29,273

Hope so.
    Constituencies by census population too.
    And digital ID proof for postal voters, similar to the system for claiming Universal Credit.
    Two can play at that game.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    nico679 said:

What’s Starmer supposed to say . Really some of the journalists questions are ridiculous .

I don't even need to know what they asked to know that would be the case.
    dixiedean said:

Hope so.
    And digital ID proof for postal voters, similar to the system for claiming Universal Credit.
    Is there a particular reason we wouldn't auto enrol people? I'm not in favour the 16-17 year old changes that were promised, but I don't recall any particular objections to auto-enrollment but since it is not the case now there must be a reason (partisan or otherwise).
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

stjohn said:

Please. make it stop
    Fucking hell

The Democrats deserve to die forever for this, if only the alternative wasn't Trump
    The scary thing is for all people saying they didn't want this, Biden and Trump probably were the preferred choices of their respective parties.

I'd still be angrier at the GOP for abandoning all morals to back a criminal, since Trump is dangerous regardless of his mental state, but as much as I was for a Democrat bluff until November, the bluff has been revealed too early, and Biden is not up to a campaign, never mind the presidency.

But one has to wonder, as a full time cynic, whether he had an earpiece and someone shouted 'no, not putin'.???
    No, he didn't

When there are enormous question marks over your sanity, memory, clarity, and mental stability, and you make the NATO summit a test of your cerebral mettle, to convince people you are still up to the job, and you then announce President Zelensky as "President Putin"? That is easily as bad as it gets

What could he do that is worse in this context? Actually shitting himself might be forgivable; accidents happen; this is not forgivable, it is not an accident, he is demented

He has failed the NATO test as he failed the debate test, the Dems need to depose him this weekend. Enuff
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,103

"In this grave hour..."
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300
    Re Biden, I wonder what briefings on his fitness for office have been prepared by foreign embassies. Starmer and others have to be diplomatic yet must be uncomfortable about not voicing doubts.

The Democrats have to ask themselves is Joe Biden mentally and physically capable of seeing out the last months of his Presidency or not.
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    The problem with Burgum as a running mate for the Loser is that Burgum is too obviously fit to be president -- unlike the Loser, Biden, and Harris. (In the US such a combination is sometimes called a "kangaroo" ticket, since it is stronger in the back than the front.)
    glw said:

stjohn said:

I honestly thought you had to be pulling our legs. Nope it's real.
    Me too. I thought it was either a joke or a deepfake

But no, it seems to be real

FFS
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

stjohn said:

Please. make it stop
    Fucking hell

No, he didn't

When there are enormous question marks over your sanity, memory, clarity, and mental stability, and you make the NATO summit a test of your cerebral mettle, to convince people you are still up to the job, and you then announce President Zelensky as "President Putin"? That is easily as bad as it gets

What could he do that is worse in this context? Actually shitting himself might be forgivable; accidents happen; this is not forgivable, it is not an accident, he is demented

He has failed the NATO test as he failed the debate test, the Dems need to depose him this weekend. Enuff
    Much as I think the free pass Trump gets for his bizarre ramblings and slurring soliloquys is insane, your second paragraph hits the nail on the head - supporters and defenders of Biden have made this event a huge deal. Sure, everyone makes slips and Biden was being labelled 'gaffe prone' by even the BBC years ago, before his presidency, but this isn't his opponents leaping on little slips, it's him not performing when all is on the line.

The problem with Burgum as a running mate for the Loser is that Burgum is too obviously fit to be president -- unlike the Loser, Biden, and Harris. (In the US such a combination is sometimes called a "kangaroo" ticket, since it is stronger in the back than the front.)

What's all this about Trump changing the rules so he doesn't have to announce the veep until a minute before he goes on stage at the convention?

• FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,371
    edited July 11
    This has gone beyond embarrassing now.....

This was supposed to be the big day when he was going to do a big boy press conference (this team's words) to put all this nonsense of Biden having to step down to bed.
    edited July 11
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

dixiedean said:

Hope so.
    Is there a particular reason we wouldn't auto enrol people? I'm not in favour the 16-17 year old changes that were promised, but I don't recall any particular objections to auto-enrollment but since it is not the case now there must be a reason (partisan or otherwise).
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

dixiedean said:

Hope so.
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

dixiedean said:

Hope so.
    It doesn't benefit the Tory Party.
    Well. Here's some news.
    Got five years to say fuck 'em.
    You are utterly irrelevant.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,539

It's bringing this to mind for me :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaqxIXs_mn4

"Learning How to Ride a Bike | Big Train"
  • Jim_MillerJim_Miller Posts: 2,860
    The second most interesting thing about Vance -- as with Harris -- is his religion. Which changed recently:
    "Vance has been married to a former law school classmate, Usha Chilukuri Vance, since 2014. They have three children.[117] For some of his professional career, Vance and his wife lived in San Francisco.[118]

Vance was raised in a "conservative, evangelical" branch of Protestantism, but by September 2016, he was "thinking very seriously about converting to Catholicism" but was "not an active participant" in any particular Christian denomination.[119] In August 2019, Vance was baptized and confirmed in the Catholic Church in a ceremony at St. Gertrude Priory in Cincinnati, Ohio. He chose Augustine of Hippo as his Confirmation saint. Vance said he converted because he "became persuaded over time that Catholicism was true", and described Catholic theology's influence on his political views."
    (Links omitted.)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._D._Vance#Personal_life
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,781
    Foxy said:

stjohn said:

I'm on Harris to be POTUS after 2024 election at 11/1. I've just added to my position at 6/1.

£17 at 47 for POTUS, £20 at 25 for nominee.

Could be very tasty for Foxy.
    The current 5 on Betfair is pretty good value, considering where we are.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753
    edited July 11
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

stjohn said:

Please. make it stop
    Fucking hell

No, he didn't

It makes the world dangerous - Putin and even the chinese do not respect weakness - the US and therefore the western world leadership is weak because of this - he needs to resign immediately. Starmer should be stating this as well (a test of true leadership ) and not trying to placate
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

stjohn said:

Please. make it stop
    Fucking hell

No, he didn't

We agree on this as you know. Biden is utterly done and the Dems are idiots for wasting our time with not moving on and selecting a new nominee who can actually last four years and beat Trump.

But I do think he rescued it well - given the awful mess he made. Still a bloody disaster, but either he has an earpiece or he is not completely gone.

Of course we will be told tomorrow that it was jet lag from the long flight over from, erm, Washington.

In terms of VP picks in case Harris becomes the nominee .

Much depends on whether Dems think the Senate is salvageable. You’d want to avoid giving up a Senator from a tough state to win in Georgia if Ossoff was in the frame .

If Biden does withdraw then I can only see Harris in contention . The Dems can’t win if they piss off black voters and the optics would look terrible if they tried to put someone else in .
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,100
    kle4 said:

nico679 said:

dixiedean said:

Hope so.
    I suspect it is simply thta it has not been done in the past and that in recent times the Government thought it was more likely to favour the Opposition.

The one problem I can really see with it is that no one has a clear idea of who actually lives in any given constituency. Auto-enrolement is fine until you realise that we don't actually count how many people there are living in any given place. Okay we do it once every 10 years for the census but even with the legal penalties for non compliance there are still large numbers of people who get missed off either through accident or design (their own). And how much of the population moves in the intervening decade? A significant number I would suggest.

So I think auto-enrolement is a good idea in principle but might throw up its own huge issues practically.
    NY Times:

"Rare news conference: The president’s last solo news conference was in November of last year, during a summit with President Xi Jinping of China. He has held only 14 solo news conferences, according to data compiled by Martha Kumar, an emeritus professor of political science at Towson University in Maryland. It is the fewest presidential news conferences since Ronald Reagan."

• ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,539
    Just to distract Leon :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZDrxsJkRbQ

"Tony Blair and Demis Hassabis Discuss the Opportunities of AI"
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

This was supposed to be the big day when he was going to do a big boy press conference (this team's words) to put all this nonsense of Biden having to step down to bed.

The thing is everyone is so focused on everything he says that even if he makes a minor faux pas then it is turned into something huge. He can't campaign like that. The free world relies on Trump being beat.
    edited July 11
    Nunu5 said:

The thing is everyone is so focused on everything he says that even if he makes a minor faux pas then it is turned into something huge. He can't campaign like that. The free world relies on Trump being beat.
    Yes, some of the things are probably a bit unfair. Once the media decide you are for the knackers yard they will elevate every little thing. They did it with Gordon Brown, they did it was Rishi Sunak.

But obviously we are at a stage now where he stood there butt naked in front of 10's millions of people unable to even complete a sentence for over 30 mins. That is clearly at his worst, but it also clearly happens often.

I wouldn't be too critical of Biden. If he isn't fully compos mentis he can't really be expected to make the right decision. But the behaviour of those closest around him is a disgrace.

Yes, I don't actually blame Biden. I am pretty sure he has full-on dementia now, he is not respinsible for this, no more than my poor demented mother who orders eighteen different kinds of cake in a morning, forgetting each time

My mum is in sheltered housing, Biden is supposedly running the USA. It is obscene and those who have long enabled this need to face a courtroom. But first, and more urgently. he needs to step down or be thrust from office, and somebody with a functioning brain has to takeover. If that's the mediocre Harris, so be it. She is sane
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

stjohn said:

£17 at 47 for POTUS, £20 at 25 for nominee.

Could be very tasty for Foxy.
    The current 5 on Betfair is pretty good value, considering where we are.
    Modesty etc. But I'm on at 25/1.

• Yeah okay I was wrong, Biden isn't well.
    ohnotnow said:

Just to distract Leon :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZDrxsJkRbQ

"Tony Blair and Demis Hassabis Discuss the Opportunities of AI"

Given what happened with the likes of the NHS IT system I don't want Tony Blair anywhere near AI....
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

I suspect it is simply thta it has not been done in the past and that in recent times the Government thought it was more likely to favour the Opposition.

The one problem I can really see with it is that no one has a clear idea of who actually lives in any given constituency. Auto-enrolement is fine until you realise that we don't actually count how many people there are living in any given place. Okay we do it once every 10 years for the census but even with the legal penalties for non compliance there are still large numbers of people who get missed off either through accident or design (their own). And how much of the population moves in the intervening decade? A significant number I would suggest.

So I think auto-enrolement is a good idea in principle but might throw up its own huge issues practically.

Sounds like the sort of thing that would work in a country where you have to register living at a new address and have ID cards. Not sure how well it would work here.
  • BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 21,480
    edited July 11
    Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

stjohn said:

Please. make it stop
    Fucking hell

No, he didn't

Getting names mixed up isn't definitely dementia, sometimes people simply do it.

I do it regularly with my kids. Talking with one daughter and mistakenly use her sister's name and then she'll always say "I'm not ******, I'm *****" which is embarrassing, of course I know that its just a slip of the tongue.

However I'm not POTUS, nor under scrutiny for not being mentally cogent enough to continue.

He's lost the benefit of the doubt. I still think he's probably just an old man who is deteriorating, not dementia, but he is an old man who is deteriorating and shouldn't be POTUS anymore.

Yeah okay I was wrong, Biden isn't well.

You think? You just realised now?
  • MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,594

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

stjohn said:

Please. make it stop
    Fucking hell

No, he didn't

It makes the world dangerous - Putin and even the chinese do not respect weakness - the US and therefore the western world leadership is weak because of this - he needs to resign immediately. Starmer should be stating this as well (a test of true leadership ) and not trying to placate
    Should he? Makes no difference and antagonises the Dems. To leave well alone seems prudent.
    edited July 11
    This guy clearly hasn't heard of the motto,

"By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail"

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-13624565/Pictured-Man-police-want-talk-two-suitcases-containing-human-remains-dumped-Clifton-Suspension-Bridge.html

He takes a traceable taxi to the bridge only to find the railing at too high for him to throw the suitcases over the bridge. Are we sure he didn't used to work for CCHQ and he is trying to discard the bodies of those who ran the Tory GE campaign?

Oliver Johnson
    @BristOliver
    ·
    23m
    We're squarely into Alastair Campbell "if it's still a story after X days" frenzy territory now, aren't we?
    Nunu5 said:

There was still some hope he was clearly not at his prime, but just had some bad days, and could keep it together to beat Trump. Unfortunately, that does not appear to be the case.

As BartholomewRoberts says, he's lost the benefit of the doubt. And the world is going to suffer a lot because of it when Trump wins - a stupid, vicious, criminal in White House who openly likes authoritarians.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369
    Il doit partir.
    Nunu5 said:

This is not "a minor faux pas"

This is like Churchill at Yalta, after a masivve ruckus about his boozing screwing his brain, then giving a massive broadcast speech and drunkenly calling Stalin "Adolf Hitler, oops, sorry, no, Joseph Stalin"

As @Casino_Royale points out, the attempt to right his mistake makes it worse. He knows it is a tremendous error and tries to make it better

STOP IT

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

stjohn said:

Please. make it stop
    Fucking hell

No, he didn't

Should he? Makes no difference and antagonises the Dems. To leave well alone seems prudent.
    Pretty poor diplomacy to say out loud on TV that your main alley is led by someone who needs a care home.
  • King's Speech better include action on 4G/5G mast planning.
    edited July 11

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

stjohn said:

Please. make it stop
    Fucking hell

No, he didn't

you dont think Putin has been advised that if he is wanting to use a tactical nuclear weapon this is the best time as the quickness of a response could be comprimised by having the President unable to make a coherent decision because he has lost touch on reality? World politics is not a game where you play nice
  • SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 17,275

How hard would it be for a Democrat to challenge Biden at the convention? Did Reagan run against Ford in '76?

Democrats must nominate POTUS & VP nominees by August 7 in order to qualify for the Ohio general election ballot.

Ronald Reagan did indeed challenge Gerald Ford for the 1976 Republican presidential nomination. IN THE PRIMARIES and caucuses, in other words the normal way. Though the end-game did have some interesting twists and turns.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,368
    Has Biden gaffed again while I've been watching episode 5 of Smiley's People?
    Andy_JS said:

Has Biden gaffed again while I've been watching episode 5 of Smiley's People?

Does the day end in y?
    Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

This is like Churchill at Yalta, after a masivve ruckus about his boozing screwing his brain, then giving a massive broadcast speech and drunkenly calling Stalin "Adolf Hitler, oops, sorry, no, Joseph Stalin"

As @Casino_Royale points out, the attempt to right his mistake makes it worse. He knows it is a tremendous error and tries to make it better

STOP IT
    People make slips of the tongue.

The problem is Biden has lost the benefit of the doubt. Had it been eg George W Bush, or Boris, or many other leaders, it would be laughed at, their critics enjoying the mistake and people would be calling it something other other than dementia.
    Leon said:

I wouldn't be too critical of Biden. If he isn't fully compos mentis he can't really be expected to make the right decision. But the behaviour of those closest around him is a disgrace.

Yes, I don't actually blame Biden. I am pretty sure he has full-on dementia now, he is not respinsible for this, no more than my poor demented mother who orders eighteen different kinds of cake in a morning, forgetting each time

My mum is in sheltered housing, Biden is supposedly running the USA. It is obscene and those who have long enabled this need to face a courtroom. But first, and more urgently. he needs to step down or be thrust from office, and somebody with a functioning brain has to takeover. If that's the mediocre Harris, so be it. She is sane
    The problem for us is that Biden could be ordering eighteen different kinds of Navy Seal attacks in a befuddled morning.

As Trump will no doubt point out endlessly if this is allowed to run until November.

FFS.
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650
    Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

STOP IT
    Wifey used the “it’s like him getting you confused with Hitler” description. I just showed her the clip. Without preamble. She’s also political.

I assume that the rumbling of the last 24 hours now becomes unstoppable. And with respect to the man, he has the nuclear codes. So I think there is now a greater than 50% chance that he resigns the presidency.
    edited July 11

Nunu5 said:

Yes, some of the things are probably a bit unfair. Once the media decide you are for the knackers yard they will elevate every little thing. They did it with Gordon Brown, they did it was Rishi Sunak.

But obviously we are at a stage now where he stood there butt naked in front of 10's millions of people unable to even complete a sentence for over 30 mins. That is clearly at his worst, but it also clearly happens often.
    AFAICS it now happens every single time he faces a live cameria, even with the aid of teleprompters

He makes huge errors, or he sounds mad, or he simply mumbles into silence, staring vaguely into space

Why are we even arguing this. He's senile and demented, he is unfit for the biggest job in the world (by some distance)

Gone by next week

Leon said:

The problem for us is that Biden could be ordering eighteen different kinds of Navy Seal attacks in a befuddled morning.

As Trump will no doubt point out endlessly if this is allowed to run until November.

FFS.
    Biden could take the opportunity to get the Navy Seals to protect democracy by taking out Trump.

SCOTUS have said he has that right.
    Hours before a high-stakes press conference aimed at dispelling concerns about his cognitive health, President Joe Biden appeared to confuse the leaders of Ukraine and Russia.

“Ladies and gentlemen, President Putin,” Biden said as he introduced Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy at a NATO event in Washington on Thursday.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2024-election/biden-press-conference-rcna161134

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    ·
    37m
    Holy shit.
    How much more do people have to see of this?
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,521
    edited July 11
    I think this is all showing why a period of calm reflection after the debate ending in a “it is time for a new generation” speech would have been a much more dignified way out.

But unfortunately people cling on, and as power drains away everything just starts to look sadder and more humiliating. I feel sorry for the guy, but he needs to go.
    If I was Putin and I was planning something dramatic and nasty, now would be the optimal moment, with America so fundamentally weak and leaderless, with a president who is clearly mad. Who is in charge? Who gives the orders? Who commands the US military? No one???

It's like some terrible movie, but it is real. Kick this senile twat out of the White House, NOW
    Biden must go and yet he’s still infinitely preferable to Trump.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Nunu5 said:

Well you still haven't twigged that Trump is f*****' bananas.

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    ·
    37m
    Holy shit.

Actually, in itself, this is a mistake anyone could make. But it's the cumulative effect of course.
    Am I the only person on here who doesn't give a monkey's about the USA?
    The Dems need to go all in and ask Biden to stand down .

If he refuses then of course it’s a disaster . But they simply can’t risk another debate car crash .

No one believes for a second that he can serve another 4 years . He might have originally thought he could scrape a win and then handover but that’s no longer possible .

dixiedean said:

Yup
    dixiedean said:

I do about the world though
    dixiedean said:

The USA is the only reason a Russian bomb isn't dropping on your head right now. So a bit difficult to ignore.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551
    Leon said:

If I was Putin and I was planning something dramatic and nasty, now would be the optimal moment, with America so fundamentally weak and leaderless, with a president who is clearly mad. Who is in charge? Who gives the orders? Who commands the US military? No one???

It's like some terrible movie, but it is real. Kick this senile twat out of the White House, NOW

Why now? If he hangs on until January 20th Putin's oppo is back in the Whitehouse.
    Andy_JS said:

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    ·
    37m
    Holy shit.

Actually, in itself, this is a mistake anyone could make. But it's the cumulative effect of course.
    100% agreed.
    dixiedean said:

Yes, probably

Given that the West now unfortunately faces an existential struggle against Russia, and probably China, Iran. North Korea, etc, America becomes MORE salient, not less

I entirely agree we often over-emphasise American politics and culture in the UK, we should spread our net wider. But right now we all desperately need a strong, confident USA. We are close to getting the opposite under a dangerously demented old fool like Biden

America is the armoury of liberal democracy
    edited July 11
    Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskiy had been due to give a press conference at the end of the Nato summit, starting just now.

But journalists waiting have just been told the event has been cancelled – meaning Zelenskiy won’t have to respond to questions about Biden’s gaffe earlier.
    (Guardian)
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Yes, probably

Given that the West now unfortunately faces an existential struggle against Russia, and probably China, Iran. North Korea, etc, America becomes MORE salient, not less

I entirely agree we often over-emphasise American politics and culture in the UK, we should spread our net wider. But right now we all desperately need a strong, confident USA. We are close to getting the opposite under a dangerously demented old fool like Biden

Even a demented old Biden would be better than Trump.

But anyone else would be better right now.

It has to be Harris.

Nunu5 said:

Well you still haven't twigged that Trump is f*****' bananas.
    Of course I have.
    Nigelb said:

Ukraine’s president Volodymyr Zelenskiy had been due to give a press conference at the end of the Nato summit, starting just now.

But journalists waiting have just been told the event has been cancelled – meaning Zelenskiy won’t have to respond to questions about Biden’s gaffe earlier.
    (Guardian)

And there it is. The West, and NATO, and Ukraine, are all weakened by the need to cover for a senile POTUS

There's the problem, right there
    Me thinks we will hear a lot more about this Bolsover lass in coming years.

Natalie Fleet MP
    @Nataliefleet
    ·
    15h
    As a vulnerable child, I needed a Labour government.

https://x.com/Nataliefleet/status/1811291926915604606
    Still not really interested.
    I appreciate all your reasons.
    But I'm not.
    edited July 11
    Andy_JS said:

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    ·
    37m
    Holy shit.

It not only the slip of the tongue, it is he says it, then wanders off from the mic seemingly oblivious to the mistake, clearly somebody shouts at Zelenskyy at him and he wanders back and then says Zelenskyy....
  • Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,780

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

STOP IT
    Wifey used the “it’s like him getting you confused with Hitler” description. I just showed her the clip. Without preamble. She’s also political.

I assume that the rumbling of the last 24 hours now becomes unstoppable. And with respect to the man, he has the nuclear codes. So I think there is now a greater than 50% chance that he resigns the presidency.
    If Biden does resign the presidency as well, then an inauguration followed by a few months of incumbency surely has to be to Harris's advantage in terms of winning in November.

Had Biden been persuaded to relinquish the nomination a couple of weeks back, he would have avoided the added scrutiny of the campaign and with minimal public appearances might well have been able to carry on for another 4 months.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,227

Me thinks we will hear a lot more about this Bolsover lass in coming years.

Natalie Fleet MP
    @Nataliefleet
    ·
    15h
    As a vulnerable child, I needed a Labour government.

https://x.com/Nataliefleet/status/1811291926915604606

Really ???

Complaining about employment and housing affordability in Bolsover.

Both are a lot better now than they were in 2010.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    dixiedean said:

I'm so bored with the USA.

Leon said:

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

stjohn said:

Please. make it stop
    Fucking hell

No, he didn't

you dont think Putin has been advised that if he is wanting to use a tactical nuclear weapon this is the best time as the quickness of a response could be comprimised by having the President unable to make a coherent decision because he has lost touch on reality? World politics is not a game where you play nice
    For sure this is a shit situation.

After reading Eisenberg's books I'm don't think an incapacitated President would be much of an impediment to the US's nuclear strategy, they seem to plan almost everything.

Andy_JS said:

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    ·
    37m
    Holy shit.

It not only the slip of the tongue, it is he says it, then wanders off from the mic seemingly oblivious to the mistake, clearly somebody shouts at Zelenskyy at him and he wanders back and then says Zelenskyy....
    That's what naturally happens when you make a slip of the tongue.

When it happens, I don't realise I've called my daughter by her sister's name until she points it out.
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Says the guy with money on the presumptive nominee.
  • Andy_JS said:

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    ·
    37m
    Holy shit.

When it happens, I don't realise I've called my daughter by her sister's name until she points it out.
    I don't realise I've called my wife by her sister's name until she points it out.

Andy_JS said:

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    ·
    37m
    Holy shit.

Come on man.....
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

That’s a bit silly when they’re helping you sleep safely at night.
    Leon said:

dixiedean said:

Yes, probably

Economic liberalism, yes. Democracy, not so much.

Andy_JS said:

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    ·
    37m
    Holy shit.

Come on man.....
    I've said he's lost the benefit of the doubt and has to go.

But he's lost the benefit of the doubt due to the cumulative series of events, not any individual one.

Individually each event can be explained. Cumulatively . . . he has to go.
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842
    It's not impossible that the Biden news conference due within the hour now becomes a statement by Biden of his intention to resign as POTUS! The sands are shifting beneath Biden's feet. His situation evokes that of Hemingway's character in The Sun Also Rises who replied, when asked how he went bankrupt, "Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly."
    The USA will get through this period and together with the other two historic democracies of the west, the U.K. and France emerge stronger from this period of chaos.

It’s going to be good.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,227
    Its a feature of the UK system that there's no way a PM could have lasted this long when incapable.

Its a feature of the UK system that there's no way a PM could have lasted this long when incapable.

Good point
    It's seldom I have felt frightened for the West. For all of the lives of almost everyone on here, bar @JackW and @Big_G_NorthWales who can remember WW2, the West has been secure and fairly dominant. The USSR threatened but never really menacds; we were so much richer and more glamorous and successful. They could never compete with the Beatles then the internet

But now? I am anxious, for the first time in my life. Our system may be in terminal decay, and we face rivals - esp China - with equal power and maybe more persuasive systems, even if we find them abhorrent

If we want westerm democracy to endure, we need a rough tough able America. That needs a sane president (and much else, but let's start there)

Perilous times. Even in sibilant Provence. Bon nuit

Jonathan Swan
    @jonathanvswan
    ·
    1h
    Trump advisers have been working more attacks on Kamala Harris into the speeches and messaging (incl signs, videos) planned for the GOP Convention next week...
    Jonathan said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

That’s a bit silly when they’re helping you sleep safely at night.
    Well I'm going to sleep more soundly tonight in the knowledge that Biden has finally messed up so badly that there's no longer any prospect that the Democrats' nominee is going to be a senile old man destined to defeat at the hands of an evil meglomaniac.

Andy_JS said:

Jon Sopel
    @jonsopel
    ·
    37m
    Holy shit.

I don't realise I've called my wife by her sister's name until she points it out.
    Lol that really could cause ww3

NewsWire
    @NewsWire_US
    ·
    45m
    BIDEN PRESS CONFERENCE DELAYED -

Jonathan Swan
    @jonathanvswan
    ·
    1h
    Trump advisers have been working more attacks on Kamala Harris into the speeches and messaging (incl signs, videos) planned for the GOP Convention next week...

Well yea. They will try to make her look mad and she often doesn't help herself. And many of the people criticising Biden will then turn on her.

Bit still she is 100 times better than Trump and 50 times better than Biden
    stjohn said:

It's not impossible that the Biden news conference due within the hour now becomes a statement by Biden of his intention to resign as POTUS! The sands are shifting beneath Biden's feet. His situation evokes that of Hemingway's character in The Sun Also Rises who replied, when asked how he went bankrupt, "Two ways. Gradually, then suddenly."

Alternatively, Biden's news conference will just be cancelled.
    Nunu5 said:

NewsWire
    @NewsWire_US
    ·
    45m
    BIDEN PRESS CONFERENCE DELAYED -

The drugs haven't kicked in yet.
    edited July 11
    Turning on the US news media channels who usually run defence for Democrats are talking consistently about when, not if.
This discussion has been closed.