Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Can I Tell You a Secret? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,742

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

If Biden contrives to stand (SPOILER: he won't, it's over) all Trump has to do is run a poster campaign with the quote FROM Biden "it's just my brain"

Then underneath, IT'S JUST HIS BRAIN

With a pic of him looking utterly vacant and demented at the debate

A landslide will ensue. But Biden is going to resign fairly shortly

Its all over bar the formalities.

Harris is the 47th President of the USA.
    Leon will be singing her praises I'm sure .......
    I reckon she's pretty mediocre, at best, but there are far worse candidates: like Joe Biden and Donald Trump

She is sane, and she can delegate, and she can appoint clever staff to run things

But again the unanswered question is How will US voters react when the Dems admit "yeah we lied about Biden for a year at least"
    It seems likely that the Biden's team should have come clean some time ago and are therefore culpable, but I think you overestimate the impact that will have.

It will be largely forgotten by November.
    You are far too complacent
    Possibly. But your drama queenery beats my complacency hands down.
    Except I am consistently right about almost everything, and you are not just wrong, you are tediously wrong
    Liz Truss, Reform, Aliens, French 2nd round elections, Gareth Southgate, 'Something huge about to come out that I can't tell you about', Virginia Woolf's 'granddaughter' ffs...
    I prefer any of that to Dead Iraqis, we all make mistakes lol.
    I assume you opposed the Iraq war at the time? Unlike the Conservative opposition of course.
    No.

It was the right thing to do.

Saddam was a vile monster and it was right to get regime change.
    No it wasn't. It was a sovereign state. Who are we to invade them because we don't like their government.

No different to Russia invading Ukraine because they don't like their government.
    Worse. Be like Russia claiming it was invading Ukraine because they had reacquried nukes that could be fired at Moscow or St. Petersburg in 45 minutes.

Ooops.

Soz.
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,100
    OT. Just saw Shelley Duvall died today. Great actress. Not what I personally would consider attractive but amazingly talented.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,290

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

If Biden contrives to stand (SPOILER: he won't, it's over) all Trump has to do is run a poster campaign with the quote FROM Biden "it's just my brain"

I reckon she's pretty mediocre, at best, but there are far worse candidates: like Joe Biden and Donald Trump

She is sane, and she can delegate, and she can appoint clever staff to run things

But again the unanswered question is How will US voters react when the Dems admit "yeah we lied about Biden for a year at least"
    It seems likely that the Biden's team should have come clean some time ago and are therefore culpable, but I think you overestimate the impact that will have.

Except I am consistently right about almost everything, and you are not just wrong, you are tediously wrong
    Liz Truss, Reform, Aliens, French 2nd round elections, Gareth Southgate, 'Something huge about to come out that I can't tell you about', Virginia Woolf's 'granddaughter' ffs...
    I assume you opposed the Iraq war at the time? Unlike the Conservative opposition of course.
    No.

No it wasn't. It was a sovereign state. Who are we to invade them because we don't like their government.

No different to Russia invading Ukraine because they don't like their government.
    Its totally different.

Dictatorships that are murdering and abusing the populace are different to free democracies choosing a path you dislike.
    Who are we to decide if another state is a suitable government or not? It if none of our business.

What is to stop China deciding that we are a vile dictatorship and invading us if you go down that road.

Either everyone accepts sovereign states are precisely that, sovereign. Or no states are sovereign.

Hence why the states containing the majority of the worlds population are not bothered about Putin. They think we are stinking hypocrites.

And they are right.
    They are right. The West is superior in many ways (that's why migrants try to flock to the US and Europe, not China and Russia) but my God we are hypocrites, and often morally ludicrous

I felt this acutely during Obama's droning campaign. Just casually executing America's enemies on foreign soil whenever he felt like it. Why should Russia, India and China not do the same, when they feel like it?

So you get Salisbury. And then you say Well that's different, but is it? Not really
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,650

Nunu5 said:

Why did reform get almost 15% in Aberdeenshire North and Moray East? They didn't get near that much in the other Tory seats in the north east of Scotland

Much more Brexity. Buckie, Fraserburgh, Peterhead. WWC communities. Fishing.
    Plus it was a protest vote against DRoss
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,611
    The US could be only days away from having its first female President.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,781
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

Nunu5 said:

BRAD SCHNEIDER of Illinois wants Biden out. Another House Dem

I think a tipping point has been reached, and it is now only a matter of when he steps down.
    Yes. By the end of next week, I reckon. Perhaps even over the weekend

If it has to be done, tis best done quick
    Of course, I may be slightly biased by the fact that I am massively green on Harris having tipped her hard for about a year and a half.
    Me too, but straight after the debate.

OT. Just saw Shelley Duvall died today. Great actress. Not what I personally would consider attractive but amazingly talented.

Not sure she ever got over being terrified in The Shining.
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,379

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

Yes. I marched.

And I don't know if you have noticed, probably not, but your position has slipped with that post from Blair - serious grown up politician to Blair - no more morally vacuous and disgusting than IDS. LOL.

Top tip: brown Asians have as much of a right not to be murdered as black Africans have to go to the beach.
    My position has not slipped one iota - Blair was a serious politician, but he made a judgement which I think he got wrong. For my own part I always opposed the Iraq war and stopped voting Labour for many years as a result. But I would never contend that the Iraq war was as egregious as apartheid, since you brought that up.
    Truly nauseating. Wannsee conference in error of judgement shock.
    Right, so now you're bracketing the Iraq war alongside the Holocaust. Got it.
  • The US could be only days away from having its first female President.

And shortest "reigning" president.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,481
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Harris is probably value at 5.9 for election winner.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.176878927
    Dem VP nominee might see some value.

I have:

John Ossoff £4 @ 112.28
    Andy Beshear £14 @ 20.71
    I have Beshear from when he was in three figures.
    Should have thought of Ossoff.
    It seems you can lay Biden for Dem Veep at 250.

Not sure that market is making a lot of sense.

What relevance does her attractiveness have?

The Liz Truss of America?
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,368
    How former Tory MP for Brecon, Fay Jones, reacted to losing her seat.

"I sobbed into a glass of wine while my phone melted down: what it was like to lose in the Tory wipeout

Don’t let them see you cry,” is the kind advice from my Labour opponent. We’re standing in a small huddle; gathered around the Returning Officer as she briefs us on the votes counted in my former constituency of Brecon, Radnor and Cwm Tawe. The worst has happened; I’ve lost my seat. To the Liberal Democrats. After four and a half years, and six weeks of the campaign, I’m about to lose my job on live TV.

When you’re losing, the count is gruesome. We began the night with our noses in front but quickly my lead disappeared. Hope fades, the mood shifts and all you can see is crusty knitted jumpers backslapping gleefully. One chap even provides a shoulder massage to the Lib Dem candidate to warm him up for his victory speech. In the end, I lose by 1,400 votes. Reform took 6,500."

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/election-results-conservative-mp-b1169614.html
    rcs1000 said:

Nunu5 said:

I think a tipping point has been reached, and it is now only a matter of when he steps down.

In private, Chuck Schumer is said to be carefully weighing replacing Biden.

NY Times blog

rcs1000 said:

Nunu5 said:

NY Times blog
    I think this could be over by Monday, the dam has broken

She gave one of the most realistic performances of all time in The Shining imo.
    edited July 11
    Nunu5 said:

The Spectator Index
    @spectatorindex
    JUST IN: CNN reports that Democrats have been 'stunned by how rapidly things have unraveled for Biden in the last 24 hours'

Biden has to go before the Republican Convention. Or if after, Trump will claim he destroyed him.

If Trump spends the Convention showing what a racist misogynistic pig he truly is, going after America's first female President (who is non-white to boot) that wins Harris the White House in November.

Alex Thompson
    @AlexThomp

Scoop: GOP-led House Oversight subpoenas top White House aides Anthony Bernal, Annie Tomasini, and Ashley Williams for closed door depositions later this month about the president's health.
    All 3 are low-profile but very influential inside the WH

https://x.com/AlexThomp/status/1811132803708313637
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 27,551

Not sure she ever got over being terrified in The Shining.
    Or working with Woody Allen. Probably a scarier event.

So you're of the opinion Biden will stand down, not just say he won't be the candidate in November?
    Jon Stewart has still got it, and also, this is brutally funny about Biden

https://x.com/eyeslasho/status/1811468353816428728

You cannot possibly recover from this

Nunu5 said:

The Spectator Index
    @spectatorindex
    JUST IN: CNN reports that Democrats have been 'stunned by how rapidly things have unraveled for Biden in the last 24 hours'

Biden has to go before the Republican Convention. Or if after, Trump will claim he destroyed him.

If Trump spends the Convention showing what a racist misogynistic pig he truly is, going after America's first female President (who is non-white to boot) that wins Harris the White House in November.
    The notion of cogency will be back on the table should Biden fall. In this instance Trump's.
    Andy_JS said:

So you're of the opinion Biden will stand down, not just say he won't be the candidate in November?
    I think it’s the cleanest way to do it. It would be too much of a drag on Harris’s campaign for Biden to hang around as the notional president.
  • No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,389
    Leon said:

Jon Stewart for President!

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

Leon said:

No.

I thought you were a libertarian? So, you should have the liberty to enjoy your own land irrespective of the effect on others, but 100k Iraqis forfeit the right to enjoy their lives and families (and land) because another Iraqi is personally repugnant to you? Wow
    Iraqis deserve the right to live in a free democracy and not a totalitarian dictatorship.
    Sure, but the West can't be the installer of that democracy, it has to come from within.
    Like the Allies couldn't ensure a democracy in Western Germany, it had to come from within?

Externally defeating a dictatorship doesn't guarantee a good democracy, we can't do that, but we could upset the apple cart and remove a dictator and give the locals space to do the right thing.
    Very wrong.

WW2 was defending against territorial aggression; had Hitler not started to invade his neighbours his dictatorship would have been left alone by the free democracies. (See Franco's Spain.)

Since the only way that the war could be ended was in the total destruction of the Third Reich, something had to be put in place after the Allies moved in: democracy in West Germany, communism in the East of course.

WW2 was not about rolling out democracy, that was simply a positive side-effect.
    The real decisions about Japan and Germany were taken in 1947.
    And they weren’t really about democracy, so much as rebuilding regional industrial economies to provide a counterbalance to Stalin’s expansionary communism.

Before ‘47, the (impractical) plan was to de-industrialise both.

rcs1000 said:

Nunu5 said:

NY Times blog
    "Carefully weighing"? He must have some seriously dodgy scales.
    kinabalu said:

stodge said:

Afternoon all :)

I'm reminded of the famous Harold Wilson maxim on this subject.

Before the election, some of the Tory-inclined on here would regularly sound off about how well wages were doing and how the self-employed were coining it in and how that would bring workers back to the Conservative fold.

Back in the real world, I'd argue my standard of living hasn't improved since 2010 - I've run hard to stand still. It's not so much the cost of a pint of milk that's the issue - it's the cost of things like insurance and utilties which have strained the finances. I feel I've been gouged by often foreign-owned companies and my hard earned is going to subsidise people in other countries.

The current model of capitalism has failed - it's not capitalism itself which has failed but how it is being used in the 2020s.

I must admit I don't remember anyone on here saying the self-employed were coining it in. If they had I certainly would have disputed that. My average day rate is currently less than 2/3rds of what it was in 2010. That is across a range of industries/sectors, not just oilfield work.
    Me too.

In actual terms I am earning around 2/3rds of what I was earning in the late 2000s. Whilst employee wages went up mine went down. I don't believe it was down to Government policy merely supply v demand for consultants like me. Thus in order to ensure business my prices have had to decrease. It's been a buyers market, I am given ultimatums by regular customers to match competitor pricing if I want to keep their business. I can't really complain because that is what I would do too.
    Surely there's a "Mexicanpete Premium"?
    An inverse premium unfortunately.

Nunu5 said:

The Spectator Index
    @spectatorindex

The notion of cogency will be back on the table should Biden fall. In this instance Trump's.
    Harris can have fun exploiting Trump's "shark v electrocution" stuff. In a way Biden can't. Even if his scriptwriters tried.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664

rcs1000 said:

Nunu5 said:

One problem with Biden stepping down now is the millions of dollars he has raised. He's out raised a ton. I don't think (although someone correct me if I'm wrong) he can just hand that over to Harris?

He can hand them over to Harris, because she is on the ticket as his Vice President. Donations are to the Biden-Harris campaign.

He could not hand them over so easily to - say - Pete Buttigieg.

That said, donations can easily be returned. And people who make donations are into the whole buying influence thing, and so I suspect that 90% of donors (particularly big money ones) would happily just round trip money into a new campaign.
    Yep. This is not the problem.

The problem will be convincing Biden.

De Nile is not just a river in Egypt.
    Biden is only as lucid as what it says on his auto cue. If the people propping him up stop putting stuff on it he is toast. He is without agency
    That's the thing. He's actually not too bad at delivering scripted remarks even if he scrabbles a bit. Can seem energised.Must be
    some kind of muscle memory from having done it for 50 years. Deceptive.

Leon said:

Jon Stewart for President!
    Jeez, I'd vote for him in a moment!

Also, he was incredibly brave to point out that LAB LEAK was obviously true when all of the centrist PB twats, sorry, when all the consensus was "it came from the pangolin with the sombrero in the wet market!"
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,553

Mate, is there no subject you are wrong on?

William Henry Harrison would like a word with you.

His presidency was shorter than the premiership of Liz Truss.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574
    edited July 11
    I have had a thought hiding in the back of my mind and when I saw SKS on ITV News at 10 I suddenly realised he reminded me of Mike Yarwood. SKS would have been a gift to Mike Yarwood.
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Eabhal said:

On topic: Real wages look quite good for Biden(Harris) at the moment. Are we sure that the economics are a problem in the US as they are elsewhere? Still got a few months to go.

The numbers of jobs created under Biden have been remarkable. The Stock Exchanges are at record highs.

All Trump can do is talk down America. Because there's only one with a track record of making America great again.
    The world has got much more dangerous under Biden. There were no horrible wars under Trump

Coincidence? Bad luck? Maybe. But then all the good things that happened under Biden might be down to luck and coincidence as well
    Like record manufacturing investment ?
    That just happened all in its own, I suppose ?
    I does not matter one groundhog shit what Biden has done, the electoral will mainly be focused on the future and the next four years. And they now look at him and think 'care home time'.

It is sad and politics is brutal but

Them's the breaks.
    Oh, I entirely agree.

I'm talking about the Democrats' chances, on the assumption he doesn't run in November.
    They have zero chance if Biden stays. They have a real chance if they move fast and replace him. Ideally they wouldn’t have put themselves in this absurd position - but then so many silly people were keen to believe the obvious lie that Biden is fine… they are idiots

This also puts paid to @HYUFD’s absurd notion that Trump wants Biden to stand down. Trump KNOWS he’s a certain winner if Biden stays
    He doesn't, see the latest Emerson poll:

'Trump 46% Biden 43% 11% undecided

Vice President Kamala Harris: 49% Trump, 43% Harris, 8% undecided
    Senator Bernie Sanders: 48% Trump, 42% Sanders, 10% undecided
    California Governor Gavin Newsom: 48% Trump, 40% Newsom, 12% undecided
    Former Vice President Al Gore: 47% Trump, 42% Gore, 11% undecided
    Former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton: 48% Trump, 41% Clinton, 11% undecided
    Senator Elizabeth Warren: 49% Trump, 39% Warren, 13% undecided
    Secretary of State Pete Buttigieg: 49% Trump, 39% Buttigieg, 12% undecided
    Pennsylvania Governor Josh Shapiro: 46% Trump, 38% Shapiro, 16% undecided
    Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer: 48% Trump, 38% Whitmer, 15% undecided'
    https://emersoncollegepolling.com/july-2024-national-poll-trump-46-biden-43/
    You are being naughty HY comparing the here and now with maybes.
  • BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,664
    BBC currently leading on Starmer's positive assessment of JB. Could be a bit unfortunate if we're in the end days. (Not his fault, of course. What else could he say.?)
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,162
    Oh, Kamala Harris.

Nunu5 said:

The Spectator Index
    @spectatorindex

Not sure why they should be stunned.

This was over the minute the debate last Thursday week ended.

Or should have been.

Biden can't win now. That is the end of it.
    They're "stunned" that they unravelled it.

Lol.

Got a bet on that happening before 2028, so...
  • Telegraph is interesting tonight.

"Letby case ‘has echoes’ of wrongly accused Canadian nurse, says expert
    Eminent neonatologist says ‘same flawed statistical methodology’ that led to wrongful accusation of nurse Susan Nelles used in Letby case"

"MoD clarifies it has not given Ukraine permission to use UK Storm Shadow missiles inside Russia
    Zelensky appears to recognise that approval for cross-border strikes has not been granted after meeting PM at Nato summit

Keir Starmer meets Volodymyr Zelensky in Washington for the Nato summit
    Britain has been forced to clarify it has not given permission for Ukraine to use Storm Shadows to strike inside Russia in an awkward diplomatic moment for Sir Keir Starmer"

"Government decision to approve new coal mine was unlawful, declares Labour
    Deputy PM Angela Rayner reverses support for Cumbria pit over environmental impact"

Awkward question from Chris Mason to Keir Starmer: "Is he senile?"
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

Nunu5 said:

The Spectator Index
    @spectatorindex

Not sure why they should be stunned.

This was over the minute the debate last Thursday week ended.

Or should have been.

Biden can't win now. That is the end of it.
    It's incredible that there is still any defence of that debate. It was meant to torpedo Trump, because everyone just knew that he would blow up and say something bonkers, and Biden just had to be the adult in the room. Instead Biden looked terrible, the attempts to deflect simply made things worse, and it's now quite clear that Biden has been deliberately managed to hide his decline.

Any Democrat who thinks this is rescuable for Biden has a lot more faith in the public than I certainly do.

Telegraph is interesting tonight.

Eminent neonatologist says ‘same flawed statistical methodology’ that led to wrongful accusation of nurse Susan Nelles used in Letby case"

"MoD clarifies it has not given Ukraine permission to use UK Storm Shadow missiles inside Russia
    Zelensky appears to recognise that approval for cross-border strikes has not been granted after meeting PM at Nato summit

Britain has been forced to clarify it has not given permission for Ukraine to use Storm Shadows to strike inside Russia in an awkward diplomatic moment for Sir Keir Starmer"

Deputy PM Angela Rayner reverses support for Cumbria pit over environmental impact"

Good job Rayner kept that quiet until after the election. Could habe been a cliffhanger if they lost the steam train enthusiast vote.
    Andy_JS said:

Missed it. What did Starmer say?
  • Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,100

None. It was simply a personal observation. We do comment on many irrelevencies and personal views on here. I happen to find her weirdly unattractive but would watch pretty much anything she was in as she was a great actress. I could say much the same about Marty Feldman.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,284

BBC currently leading on Starmer's positive assessment of JB. Could be a bit unfortunate if we're in the end days. (Not his fault, of course. What else could he say.?)

"On form" ain't positive. It's how you report back from the nursing home when Grandad has had one of his "good days".

Andy_JS said:

He paused for quite a long time and then said no very quickly before talking about something else. The no was almost swallowed up by the following words.

Andy_JS said:

It's a stupid question. Starmer is hardly likely to say "Biden is f*****' bonkers".
    Any news on who Trump is going to pick as his VP?

JD Vance?

Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Harris is probably value at 5.9 for election winner.

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.176878927
    Dem VP nominee might see some value.

I have:

John Ossoff £4 @ 112.28
    Andy Beshear £14 @ 20.71
    I have Beshear from when he was in three figures.
    Should have thought of Ossoff.
    It seems you can lay Biden for Dem Veep at 250.

Not sure that market is making a lot of sense.
    I’ve been laying some of my Harris nominee stake at evens to buy Harris as election winner at 5.6 - now 5.4.
    Seems a decent way to gear up ?

Since I last looked at BF market - Vance has inched ahead of Burgum. It was the other way around a few hours ago.
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

He paused for quite a long time and then said no very quickly before talking about something else. The no was almost swallowed up by the following words.
    Fair enough. I'd have f*cked up answering a question like that, I reckon: "I'm not qualified to say" or "Not as far as I can tell" or "You better ask him".

Starmer does often pause before answering a tricky question. I wish I could do that more often - I have to dive into the silence.

Leon will call for criminal charges.

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Fair enough. I'd have f*cked up answering a question like that, I reckon: "I'm not qualified to say" or "Not as far as I can tell" or "You better ask him".

Starmer does often pause before answering a tricky question. I wish I could do that more often - I have to dive into the silence.
    It wasn't that long a pause.
    edited July 11

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

As a highly successful and "forensic" lawyer, Starmer should have a better prepared answer than the one he gave

Something like "Biden is a great president, who is crucial to the NATO alliance. It's not for me to indulge in vulgar speculation, or interfere in their democracy, we are simply grateful for his commitment to Ukraine"

Thus avoiding saying Biden is insane (or, worse, sane) but keeping the Yanks happy

JD Vance?
    This suggests the possibility of something out of the ordinary ?

In Milwaukee today, Republicans approved an under-the-radar rule change that allows Trump to name his running mate at the absolute last minute. No more does the pick need to be made at least an hour before the floor vote. While 45 could announce whenever, Wednesday seems likely.
    https://x.com/dennislennox/status/1811465010042020227
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,229

Since I last looked at BF market - Vance has inched ahead of Burgum. It was the other way around a few hours ago.
    Vance by a whisker, you say?
    edited July 11
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

As a highly paid and successful and "forensic" lawyer, Starmer should have a better prepared answer than the one he gave

Something like "Biden is a great president, who is crucial to the NATO alliance. It's not for me to indulge in vulgar speculation, or interfere in their democracy, we are simply grateful for his commitment to Ukraine"

Thus avoiding saying Biden is insane (or, worse, sane) but keeping the Yanks bappy
    Fair point.

Although, on reflection "no" is probably acceptable.
    Nigelb said:

Whereas you'd STILL be bleating "it's just a stammer, he had a cold"
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Don't forget the jet lag from the flight he took this time last year.

None. It was simply a personal observation. We do comment on many irrelevencies and personal views on here. I happen to find her weirdly unattractive but would watch pretty much anything she was in as she was a great actress. I could say much the same about Marty Feldman.
    Marty was an actress ?
    Great eyes though … not entirely dissimilar to Shelley Duvall’s.
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Sure I will.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,429

Apparently Biden hasn't held a full cabinet meeting for the last nine months and all questions have to be scripted in advance.

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/07/11/politics/joe-biden-age-decline-democrats-angry/index.html

CNN: Angry and stunned Democrats blame Biden’s closest advisers for shielding public from full extent of president’s decline

Some presidents don’t really bother with cabinet meetings. I’m try to remember which one had *none*
  • theProletheProle Posts: 1,100

Good job Rayner kept that quiet until after the election. Could habe been a cliffhanger if they lost the steam train enthusiast vote.
    It seems that all the "we'll push stuff through planning and go for growth ASAP" that was all the rage last week has imploded on first contact with reality.

This is all about this ludicrous "you must consider all the emissions from the coal mined" idea which some particularly stupid court introduced last month over a minor oil well, completely ignoring that if we don't mine this coal, it will just get mined somewhere else instead.

I hate to say it, but this sort of thing shows this lot are actually *more* stupid than the Tories - which takes some doing.
    Burgum is edging out slowly as veep on BF.
    edited July 11
    Can we take a moment to acknowledge, once again, how The Killers segued seamlessly from the England win in Germany to "Mr Brightside" at the 02 staidum

I think this is the single greatest act of showmanship I have ever seen. It could have gone so wrong, it could have all fucked up; but they absolutely nailed it and made a moment of theatre that will live on forever

I cannot think of its equal

https://x.com/MrMKimber/status/1811179990362271897

• Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

Sunny
    @sunnyright
    Any reason I was told about Alito's wife's beach house flag-flying habits but not about Joe Biden's cabinet not meeting for 9 months?
  • theProle said:

It seems that all the "we'll push stuff through planning and go for growth ASAP" that was all the rage last week has imploded on first contact with reality.

This is all about this ludicrous "you must consider all the emissions from the coal mined" idea which some particularly stupid court introduced last month over a minor oil well, completely ignoring that if we don't mine this coal, it will just get mined somewhere else instead.

I hate to say it, but this sort of thing shows this lot are actually *more* stupid than the Tories - which takes some doing.
    Farage is going to get very fat with all the popcorn being eaten
    If you haven't already seen it there is a great Lincoln Project and out today called "Daddy".
    I see Wes has bought Darzi in to look at NHS.

Don't we already know what he will say: we need poly clinics.

That was his view last time he was asked to do this iirc??

If you haven't already seen it there is a great Lincoln Project and out today called "Daddy".

A link would be nice...
    Harris gone out a bit from evens.
    Profit taking, probably ?

Burgum is edging out slowly as veep on BF.

A lot.
    Their (him vs Vance) odds have basically reversed since a couple of weeks back.
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

So SKS has seen the problem for himself and is being diplomatic
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

It's a thing, though.

Rishi Sunak had a cold for the entire election campaign. That rain did for him.
  • carnforthcarnforth Posts: 4,284
    Nunu5 said:

Sunny
    @sunnyright
    Any reason I was told about Alito's wife's beach house flag-flying habits but not about Joe Biden's cabinet not meeting for 9 months?

Are cabinet meetings informal in the US, or is there a constitutional basis for them? What about here?
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842
    edited July 11
    Biden has just introduced Zelensky to the NATO summit as President Putin!
    Biden’s single (currently) most unappreciated legacy will have been to constrain the competition from China in the development of AI.
    His chip technology sanctions have been extremely effective.
    Mandelson’s grin says that he will be the next Chancellor of Oxford.
  • stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,842
    Harris last price matched 1.91 for the Dem nomination.
    Vance now 1.2
  • FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,555
    How hard would it be for a Democrat to challenge Biden at the convention? Did Reagan run against Ford in '76?
    stjohn said:

https://x.com/danwootton/status/1811518354739331356

Please. make it stop

How hard would it be for a Democrat to challenge Biden at the convention? Did Reagan run against Ford in '76?

I've just scan read above and seems that Richard Burgon is being considered for Veep. Then all that Novara have to do is point out that Harris is a BLAIRITE and Burgon will be President!!!

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

It's a thing, though.

Rishi Sunak had a cold for the entire election campaign. That rain did for him.
    He prefers the Californian climate clearly.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 94,987
    edited July 11
    stjohn said:

The guy cannot keep it together. Yes, he has good moments, but the pressure is getting to him.

They'll probably lose regardless now, but he has to stand down, give Harris the chance to beat Trump in November.

A lunatic like Trump with a Supreme Court willing to give him a pass on everything? It's too scary to contemplate.
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799
    stjohn said:

I honestly thought you had to be pulling our legs. Nope it's real.
  • ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 3,539
    Leon said:

It's beginning to feel like a bad (or worse) repeat of "Whoops Apocalypse!" now. I have faint memories of either the Russian or Iranian president - dead - being held up on a balcony and someone waving the corpses hand at the adoring crowd.

(I did try and rewatch it a few years ago. It has not stood the test of time. Much like Biden. 🥁)
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761

That was in primaries rather than convention. I understand that the delegates are tied to Biden unless Biden himself releases them.

• SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,727
    It does feel like the last Labour government. What a bizarre thing for Starmer to bring all these Labour beasts back from the Blair years.
  • Nunu5Nunu5 Posts: 954

stjohn said:

Please. make it stop
    Omg this is actually dangerous
    edited July 11
    stjohn said:

Harris last price matched 1.91 for the Dem nomination.

Back at evens, but it’s done.
    Is this press conference going to happen ?

It shouldn’t.
    Unless it’s to announce he’s going.

A link would be nice...
    https://youtu.be/pygxuhEUcnA?si=RITi_EfEkxEGowPS
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,369
    Nunu5 said:

stjohn said:

Please. make it stop
    It’s ok. He is responsible for the defence of the free world.
    Unfucking believable.

The way he belatedly realises and tries to roll back from the mistake is almost even worse.
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 47,761
    edited July 11
    SMukesh said:

It does feel like the last Labour government. What a bizarre thing for Starmer to bring all these Labour beasts back from the Blair years.

Take some advice from them by all means, after all they have a lot of experience, but not in a formal role. It needs a new generation and new ideas, not retreads.
    At least Rishi Sunak now has someone worse at campaigning than him.
    Nunu5 said:

stjohn said:

Please. make it stop
    Fucking hell

He has to go THIS WEEKEND

The Democrats deserve to die forever for this, if only the alternative wasn't Trump
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,109
    Andy_JS said:

How former Tory MP for Brecon, Fay Jones, reacted to losing her seat.

"I sobbed into a glass of wine while my phone melted down: what it was like to lose in the Tory wipeout

Don’t let them see you cry,” is the kind advice from my Labour opponent. We’re standing in a small huddle; gathered around the Returning Officer as she briefs us on the votes counted in my former constituency of Brecon, Radnor and Cwm Tawe. The worst has happened; I’ve lost my seat. To the Liberal Democrats. After four and a half years, and six weeks of the campaign, I’m about to lose my job on live TV.

When you’re losing, the count is gruesome. We began the night with our noses in front but quickly my lead disappeared. Hope fades, the mood shifts and all you can see is crusty knitted jumpers backslapping gleefully. One chap even provides a shoulder massage to the Lib Dem candidate to warm him up for his victory speech. In the end, I lose by 1,400 votes. Reform took 6,500."

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/election-results-conservative-mp-b1169614.html

Sometimes we forget the human side, and also that there are probably half a dozen members of staff to be made redundant by each departing MP.
    Leon said:

Nunu5 said:

stjohn said:

Please. make it stop
    Fucking hell

He has to go THIS WEEKEND

The Democrats deserve to die forever for this, if only the alternative wasn't Trump
    The scary thing is for all people saying they didn't want this, Biden and Trump probably were the preferred choices of their respective parties.

I'd still be angrier at the GOP for abandoning all morals to back a criminal, since Trump is dangerous regardless of his mental state, but as much as I was for a Democrat bluff until November, the bluff has been revealed too early, and Biden is not up to a campaign, never mind the presidency.

Unfucking believable.

The way he belatedly realises and tries to roll back from the mistake is almost even worse.

I'm partisan. You are partisan. Most politically aware people are. But some stuff is basic. It transcends party politics. You see the good stuff and the bad stuff and it doesn't matter which side you support or how you think you can try and spin it. You *know*.

This. I'd take Biden over Trump in a heartbeat. But its brutally obvious this has slid away from him. He can't win. And if he loses then the world loses.

So he has to go. Not just off the ticket. Out of the White House. Zelinsky makes a gag out of it. Others may not have been so gentle. And I suspect he was gentle because he also knows the basics.

Biden. Is Done.
    Yep. Trump has to be beaten, and the president needs to have all their marbles. Biden cannot do either. And he needs to be fully in behind Harris, to give her the best possible chance they can.
This discussion has been closed.