Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

And From The Other Side of the Pond… – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    ToryJimToryJim Posts: 4,111

So who else in the Conservative high command knew that Sunak was going to leave early ?

Cameron and Shapps must have done as they were there.

Any others ?

And did those who did know agree with Sunak leaving early or try to persuade him not to ?

I suspect they will have tried to persuade him it was a bad call but then if they couldn’t budge him taken a “well, on your own head be it”.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,082
    edited June 7
    That's a killer photo right there...world leader, world leader, world leader, not world leader.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/07/general-election-latest-news-rishi-sunak-keir-starmer/#1717748200446
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,575
    nova said:

PJH said:

Last night's Wellswood, Torbay by-election still leads me to think the Reform polling is a mirage:

CON: 42.3% (-21.1)
    LDEM: 41.9% (+41.9)
    REF: 8.5% (+8.5)
    LAB: 5.3% (-19.6)
    GRN: 1.5% (-10.1)
    WP: 0.5% (+0.5)

Valid votes cast: 2,217

Conservative HOLD.
    https://twitter.com/BritainElects/status/1798968636864119149

NB the above changes are wrong, Labour didn't stand last time but the LDs did so I make the LDs +17.

But - this is a ward full of over 65's, in a Brexit voting area. If Reform are really on 15%, surely they would have beaten that comfortably. Yes, I know people vote differently in a council by-election compared to a GE, but the gap is just too big.

My original guess before Farage returned was that Reform would get 4-5%. I don't see any evidence from this that when it comes to real votes they will poll much above that, even with Farage, unless the Tories keep doing as they are doing and a bandwagon rolls.

Clearly council elections are very different.

But isn't the big issue with Reform that their vote is spread around too much? Even when polling had them pretty much neck and neck with the Tories, they were still likely only to have any chance of winning a couple of seats.

The Tories still appeal to more affluent areas in concentrated MP winning numbers, but apparently racists are spread around a little too much for Reform to make an impact quickly.
    I think a lot of people will say they'll vote form when asked, but are less likely to actually go and place a vote (for anyone).

Genny lecs will GOTV more than counsy lecs but still I tend to agree that VI won't translate entirely to actual votes on the day.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202
    DM_Andy said:

Can we spare a thought for poor David Johnston. Sent out to defend his Prime Minister's honour due to the entire Cabinet forgetting to put their phones on charge overnight and valiantly batting away every hostile question only for Sunak to apologise ten minutes later.

I asked my dad, you still think Labour 83 campaign was more disastrous than this one, he said it’s getting about even now 😆
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,127
    edited June 7
    maaarsh said:

BobSykes said:

I thought the low bar set by Brown in 2010 for GE campaign incompetence by a PM would never be surpassed, but Rishi is quite unbelievable in his staggering ineptitude.

I've been broadly sympathetic to his plight and much as it pains me to do so, expecting to put a cross in the blue box despite zero prospect of a Tory hold in my ultra marginal seat even if the polls had been neck and neck.

I'm resigned to Labour, have been for 3 years, and accept one party can't stay in power for more than 14/15 years, I'm fine with Keir as PM, dull as he'll probably be, but I'm utterly depressed at the thought of the Tories being wiped out and Labour having a stupendous majority that will keep them/ the left in power for a generation. And that I'll be totally disenfranchised if my only prospect is to vote for some Faragist rabble.

I'm 47. I could be approaching my 70s before the country swings back to the centre right, if it ever does at all.

I'm so depressed about this, as someone who's taken a close interest in politics for maybe 35 years. Sad.

Tories got a 10 year majority last time, things can turn much quicker than you think.
    I admit as someone who thought Johnson had realigned politics for a generation, I was surprised how quickly it all fell apart. So we shouldn't make the same assumption about Starmer going on for ever. Nevertheless the opposite assumption is also a mistake. My impression of Starmer is he is very ambitious for a lengthy period in office and will do his utmost to win the following election.

So Starmer might crash and burn or he might be there for years and years. Not a particularly useful assessment for a site dedicated to political predictions, I accept.
  • Options
    I have to say, I thought Sunak would fall apart in a GE campaign but he's done worse than I thought he would.

I thought in the debate he'd finally got back on course. Alas not.

SKS is the luckiest opposition leader in British political history.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,492

I read the news this morning re: D-Day and came on here.

Jesus Christ, this looks awful.

Is there a public register of Labour Party members? Has anyone searched it to make sure one R. Sunak is on it. Because it's the only explanation that could possibly make sense.

I have a better theory:

Given the self-destructive actions of so many Conservative politicians I suggest they're all fcking morons.

Its difficult to think of a single Conservative politician who hasn't said or done something imbecilic.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,558
    @NatashaC

New... Labour's John Healey writes to Grant Shapps to demand answers over D Day events saying they raise "worrying questions about his judgement and priorities"

https://x.com/NatashaC/status/1799015216547840485
  • Options

Is there a public register of Labour Party members? Has anyone searched it to make sure one R. Sunak is on it. Because it's the only explanation that could possibly make sense.

I have a better theory:

Given the self-destructive actions of so many Conservative politicians I suggest they're all fcking morons.

Its difficult to think of a single Conservative politician who hasn't said or done something imbecilic.
    What is most baffling is that they looked at Labour for five years doing it and have decided to take part.

I do honestly wonder if they've been this bad for years, Labour were just a lot worse.

Let's be honest, it fell apart as soon as Cameron left originally.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 13,202

Johnny Mercer two foots Rishi in the Sun. Not a happy veterans minister

He seems to be defending him if anything. Harry Cole is furious but that's not the same thing.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/28357710/rishi-leaving-d-day-mistake-johnny-mercer/
    Johnny Mercer is having a great campaign.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,181
    The tories turning off their digital campaigns is really annoying me - it can't be money, surely it can't be a reset, so what is it?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 21,472
    edited June 7
    Just a few weeks back certain quarters of PB were getting exercised by Sir Keir pronouncing a single word incorrectly at PMQs.

Seems like an eternity ago.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,767
    edited June 7
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Cicero said:

Help to Buy is to getting a rebrand as Freedom to Buy...

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-to-offer-freedom-to-buy-for-young-people-with-mortgage-guarantee-scheme-13148889

Permanent very low deposits guaranteed by government has other negatives above the risk of bad loans.

What percentage of council houses sold are still in the hands of owner occupiers, as opposed to private rental companies?
    40% of right to buy homes are now rented out privately.

PB likes to ignore the vast shifts in housing tenure in the last 14 years, but ultimately it's the reason why the country has become more unequal and why the number of natural Conservative voters has fallen. There is no evidence that a mass private housebuilding programme would reverse the trend and increase ownership - all the new homes will simply be hoovered up by those who have accumulated large savings.
    That shows a gross ignorance of economics and follows your typical lame excuse-making for NIMBYism.

The reason for the vast shifts in housing tenure is the lack of building supply. If supply increases that will be reversed.

And of course in a healthy free housing economy typically 10% of homes are unoccupied [for very good reasons] which means homes in poor condition or are too expensive don't get let out and the owner is left paying their bills/mortgage and taxes without a tenant paying them any rent.

So why would those with savings snap up all homes if supply is increased and they can't let them out? It means price falls and people who want to buy to own have a choice, as well as tenants having a choice, on where to live.
    There he blows!

New homes: 2.0 million
    Increase in households renting: 1.1 million
    Increase in households owning outright: 0.9 million
    Decrease in households with a mortgage: -0.4 million

It would have certainly been worse without any new homes. But the idea that an increase in supply is the only intervention required is nonsense - wealth inequality is now far too great in the UK for that to suffice.
    That's been caused by the terrible shortage of new homes, meaning prices are far too high. Which is fundamental supply and demand in action.

An increase in supply may not be the only intervention required, I never said it is, but it is absolutely 100% needed and would help to reverse the damage that has been done.

Of course if supply increases and prices fall in real terms, then that would lower that inequality you mentioned too.
    The number of new homes has increased faster than the population, by a wide margin. It's actually a glut.

The problem is that there are significant mismatches with where those houses are being built and where there is housing pressure. At risk of pissing off lots of PBers, here is my official assessment of LAs (bespoke assessments can be provided on request):

YIMBY Gold award:

Selby
    Huntingdonshire
    Mid Suffolk
    Telford and Wrekin
    West Lindsey

NIMBY Black Spot of Barty Doom

Pendle
    Thurrock
    Swale
    Epping Forest
    Peterborough

Urban Excellence award: Southwark
    Rural Excellence award: West Devon, Cotswolds, Uttlesford
    Leon award: Camden, Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea (fewer houses, population falling)
    Trooper award: Tower Hamlets, Bedford, Tewkesbury (massive effort, but simply can’t keep up)
    Breeze block award: Barking and Dagenham, Slough, Leicester (massive population growth, no attempt to deal with it)
    Barty award: Copeland, Richmondshire, Caerphilly, Allerdale (population falling but f*** it more houses anyway)
    This glut is all in your head.

The number of new homes has nowhere near kept up with demand.

Again you show a shocking ignorance of the effects of demographics on housing requirements, talking again only of "population". 🤦‍♂️
    8.2% increase in homes
    6.1% increase in households
    6.3% increase in population
    Why are you lying?

Your households figure is a lie. You know this, so why repeat it?

People who are compelled to share a home as there's not enough houses are classed as one household. You know that, but you're repeating your lies anyway. 🤦‍♂️

The idea that t here's been a lesser increase in household demand than population increase, when our demographic changes mean there's even further household pressures, is so obviously false its remarkable your following through on this outright blatant lie.
    The number of people per household has fallen, and overcrowding has fallen too.

Edit: sorry, the population per household has risen* This is explained by immigrants being much more efficient users of households than say older people
    The number of people per household should have fallen as we have 4 million extra over 50s than we did. Who don't live with children.🤦‍♂️

Immigration doesn't counter that.

Your own data reveals the chronic housing shortage. Again!
    In most LAs, housing pressure is actually falling. It's only in about 100 where you see this acute problem, and they are mostly in our cities.
    There are 317 local authorities of England, 32 local authorities of Scotland, 22 principal councils of Wales and 11 local councils of Northern Ireland. So:
    • if you were referring to England, that's about 100/317 - say a third - of LAs under pressure.
    • If you were referring to the UK, that's 100/(317+32+22+11) = 100/382 - say 25-30% - of LAs under pressure
    That's quite a lot
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,227
    Carnyx said:

BobSykes said:

I thought the low bar set by Brown in 2010 for GE campaign incompetence by a PM would never be surpassed, but Rishi is quite unbelievable in his staggering ineptitude.

I've been broadly sympathetic to his plight and much as it pains me to do so, expecting to put a cross in the blue box despite zero prospect of a Tory hold in my ultra marginal seat even if the polls had been neck and neck.

I'm resigned to Labour, have been for 3 years, and accept one party can't stay in power for more than 14/15 years, I'm fine with Keir as PM, dull as he'll probably be, but I'm utterly depressed at the thought of the Tories being wiped out and Labour having a stupendous majority that will keep them/ the left in power for a generation. And that I'll be totally disenfranchised if my only prospect is to vote for some Faragist rabble.

I'm 47. I could be approaching my 70s before the country swings back to the centre right, if it ever does at all.

I'm so depressed about this, as someone who's taken a close interest in politics for maybe 35 years. Sad.

Welcome to the world of pain experienced by those of us on the left for 32 of the past 45 years.

Your best bet is to keep buggering on, pushing, and as far as possible voting for, the sort of policies you'd like to see. In time there will be a new 'one-nation conservatism' option for you.
    Interesting thought that it might well be the SNP who end up representing one-nation conservatism in the UK.
    Nah, I'd expect the LibDems to grab the vacancy.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,600
    geoffw said:

Is it too late for Sunak to do an Estelle Morris?

Declare himself to be incompetent?

He is politically incompetent.

Sunak is plainly smart, and hard working, and by political standards reasonably honest. He was perfectly fine as Chancellor.

The trouble is Sunak's political skills and instincts are woeful. He's absolutely out of his depth. It's a shame he didn't have enough self-awareness to realise that PM is not the job for him, a problem he shares with Gordon Brown.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

The tories turning off their digital campaigns is really annoying me - it can't be money, surely it can't be a reset, so what is it?

They have to scrub every mention of 'National Service' from everything online
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

At this stage I’d have to go with incompetence
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 584
    eek said:

PJH said:

Last night's Wellswood, Torbay by-election still leads me to think the Reform polling is a mirage:

Conservative HOLD.

NB the above changes are wrong, Labour didn't stand last time but the LDs did so I make the LDs +17.

But - this is a ward full of over 65's, in a Brexit voting area. If Reform are really on 15%, surely they would have beaten that comfortably. Yes, I know people vote differently in a council by-election compared to a GE, but the gap is just too big.

My original guess before Farage returned was that Reform would get 4-5%. I don't see any evidence from this that when it comes to real votes they will poll much above that, even with Farage, unless the Tories keep doing as they are doing and a bandwagon rolls.

Torbay is in Devon where we worked out earlier this week that Reform poll about half the national average there (I checked the 2015/7/9 elections and that 50% ratio works out).

so that 8.5% shows that Reform having a 17% share at a national level is plausible...

The thing to remember that a national vote share is unevenly spread - which is why the Lib Dems end up with seats when they get 9% of the national vote while until now UKIP / Brexit / Reform ended up with zero seats even though they got roughly the same percentage.
    Ah - I must have missed that, thank you. Though I'm surprised as I thought the SW was quite Brexity and one of the reasons why the LDs haven't recovered. It doesn't help that the Brexit Party basically didn't stand in the SW last time so there's nothing much to go on. UKIP got 13.6% in Torbay in 2015 so slightly above the national average then.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 9,453
    Chameleon said:

Old lady Brady innit! I'm telling ya, he's fighting to keep his job
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,127

We were talking yesterday about Pakistani cricketers, but could Sunak be involved in some match fixing?
  • Options
    The Sun I think will back Labour.
  • Options
    GarethoftheVale2GarethoftheVale2 Posts: 2,111
    PJH said:

Conservative HOLD.

A lot of this is that UKIP/Brexit/Reform have never very well at local elections vs. national elections, while for LDs it is the other way round that they have always done better locally. Torbay council is/was 17 Con, 15 LD, 4 indie so it shouldn't be that surprising that the by-election was Con/LD
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,657

That's a killer photo right there...world leader, world leader, world leader, not world leader.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/06/07/general-election-latest-news-rishi-sunak-keir-starmer/#1717748200446

It’s quite shameful

I hesitate to mention this, but could Sunak’s background be an issue. He’s of Indian descent and his family are fairly recent migrants

For a British politician with that innate sense if British history - parents who remember the war or grandparents who were in wars - etc etc - then D Day is iconic. It’s in your blood. No way you make this howling error

For someone like Sunak D Day may appear like some quaint ceremony of a long ago war. He might appreciate it intellectually but doesn’t get it emotionally. Because of his background

I hasten to add I have no problem with a migrant prime minister. Just as long as they are competent! I’d have no problem with a bloody robot premier - they’d probably be better

Sunak doesn’t quite grasp Britain or Britishness. His wife is also Indian and billionaire. He is detached in multiple ways
  • Options
    @MrHarryCole

Starmer: "The PM will have to answer for his choices"
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,151
    Scott_xP said:

Chameleon said:

They have to scrub every mention of 'National Service' from everything online
    Also 'Angela'. They had allgeations still up for a while at least after she was cleared. That's not efficient, either.
  • Options

According to Harwood they're going to fence sit as there's a big split on who to support
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,764
    viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Cicero said:

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-to-offer-freedom-to-buy-for-young-people-with-mortgage-guarantee-scheme-13148889

Permanent very low deposits guaranteed by government has other negatives above the risk of bad loans.

What percentage of council houses sold are still in the hands of owner occupiers, as opposed to private rental companies?

PB likes to ignore the vast shifts in housing tenure in the last 14 years, but ultimately it's the reason why the country has become more unequal and why the number of natural Conservative voters has fallen. There is no evidence that a mass private housebuilding programme would reverse the trend and increase ownership - all the new homes will simply be hoovered up by those who have accumulated large savings.
    That shows a gross ignorance of economics and follows your typical lame excuse-making for NIMBYism.

The reason for the vast shifts in housing tenure is the lack of building supply. If supply increases that will be reversed.

And of course in a healthy free housing economy typically 10% of homes are unoccupied [for very good reasons] which means homes in poor condition or are too expensive don't get let out and the owner is left paying their bills/mortgage and taxes without a tenant paying them any rent.

So why would those with savings snap up all homes if supply is increased and they can't let them out? It means price falls and people who want to buy to own have a choice, as well as tenants having a choice, on where to live.
    There he blows!

It would have certainly been worse without any new homes. But the idea that an increase in supply is the only intervention required is nonsense - wealth inequality is now far too great in the UK for that to suffice.
    That's been caused by the terrible shortage of new homes, meaning prices are far too high. Which is fundamental supply and demand in action.

An increase in supply may not be the only intervention required, I never said it is, but it is absolutely 100% needed and would help to reverse the damage that has been done.

Of course if supply increases and prices fall in real terms, then that would lower that inequality you mentioned too.
    The number of new homes has increased faster than the population, by a wide margin. It's actually a glut.

The problem is that there are significant mismatches with where those houses are being built and where there is housing pressure. At risk of pissing off lots of PBers, here is my official assessment of LAs (bespoke assessments can be provided on request):

YIMBY Gold award:

Selby
    Huntingdonshire
    Mid Suffolk
    Telford and Wrekin
    West Lindsey

Pendle
    Thurrock
    Swale
    Epping Forest
    Peterborough

Leon award: Camden, Westminster, Kensington and Chelsea (fewer houses, population falling)
    Trooper award: Tower Hamlets, Bedford, Tewkesbury (massive effort, but simply can’t keep up)
    Breeze block award: Barking and Dagenham, Slough, Leicester (massive population growth, no attempt to deal with it)
    Barty award: Copeland, Richmondshire, Caerphilly, Allerdale (population falling but f*** it more houses anyway)

Again you show a shocking ignorance of the effects of demographics on housing requirements, talking again only of "population". 🤦‍♂️
    8.2% increase in homes
    Why are you lying?

People who are compelled to share a home as there's not enough houses are classed as one household. You know that, but you're repeating your lies anyway. 🤦‍♂️

The idea that t here's been a lesser increase in household demand than population increase, when our demographic changes mean there's even further household pressures, is so obviously false its remarkable your following through on this outright blatant lie.

Edit: sorry, the population per household has risen* This is explained by immigrants being much more efficient users of households than say older people
    The number of people per household should have fallen as we have 4 million extra over 50s than we did. Who don't live with children.🤦‍♂️

In most LAs, housing pressure is actually falling. It's only in about 100 where you see this acute problem, and they are mostly in our cities.
    There are 317 local authorities of England, 32 local authorities of Scotland, 22 principal councils of Wales and 11 local councils of Northern Ireland. So:
    • if you were referring to England, that's about 100/317 - say a third - of LAs under pressure.
    • If you were referring to the UK, that's 100/(317+32+22+11) = 100/382 - say 25-30% - of LAs under pressure
    That's quite a lot
    England and Wales. And yes, I agree - and some of them are under enormous pressure. Some have managed to cope to an extent, others not. And you get huge local imbalances - look at Camden's population actually falling, contributing to pressure in neighbouring areas.

A Scottish example would be the enormous growth in housing in the Lothians, taking off some pressure in Edinburgh, even while house prices in Greenock....

• Options

The way the Telegraph are laying into Sunak today, even the Torygraph might not be backing the Tories.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Sunak doesn’t quite grasp Britain or Britishness. His wife is also Indian and billionaire. He is detached in multiple ways

SO has been saying this for ever. Richi has apparently zero interest in the Country he is meant to be leading
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 16,651
    edited June 7

So who else in the Conservative high command knew that Sunak was going to leave early ?

Any others ?

And did those who did know agree with Sunak leaving early or try to persuade him not to ?

If the story is true that he originally planned not to go at all, then it's possible they played a part in ensuring that he went.
  • Options
    Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

nico679 said:

Sunak asking young people to do National Service or to volunteer one weekend a month and then couldn’t be arsed to spend a full day honouring veterans . This will be another take on events .

This latest own goal by him just feeds into other policy announcements .

If you’re on the left liberal wing and echoing that superb post by Big G North Wales we need to be worried about what’s to come.

So us liberal lefties are in the weird position of obviously wanting the Tories to lose but to not get pulverized and certainly we don’t want Farage winning in Clacton .

I’m sure the other parties will have their gaffes during the campaign and will have those very bad news days but Sunak really needs to get a grip .

No. We really really really want Farage to win and we want him to beat the Tories to death and we want him to be leader of the opposition and then become prime minister

Look at the polls. He’s the most popular politician in the land. Sure he’s also hated. But the same was true of thatcher. Very popular with some disliked by many - she got things done and didn’t care
    What, in is history, makes you think Farage would be a competent, or even good, PM?
    He just has to be better than Sunak. Or truss. Or Boris. Or may. Or Cameron. Or brown

It’s not a high bar and then suddenly he’s the best pm in a generation
    If you had spent any time with him, talking in a relaxed situation, you would know he’s a complete lightweight, past the golf club bonhomie he’s fucking humourless and witless. He’s amusing for ten minutes but two hours later when you’ve tried to have interesting chats you realise there is nothing there apart from the most basic simplistic opinions in a very narrow sphere of politics.

Its why Trump loves him, he won’t have anything interesting to say, no interesting ideas but will happily parrot back what Trump says like an echo chamber and they all sit grinning about how great they are.

I know you think you are being a bit edgy calling for him to take over but you will the first crying like a baby when you realise what you’ve got. I don’t even live in the UK and worry about what would happen if he was in charge.
    I have spent time with him and I also suspect he's rather lightweight. Does it matter? He's a tool with which to smash the Tories to death. He's too old to do grave policy damage, if he wins a lot of clever people will flock to Reform. The Right has to be renewed and the Tories cannot do it, their brand is beyond saving and at the top they are ruled by the most avaricious careerist clueless fucks. I hope they all lose their seats. Every single one of them

And anyway, if "Farage" is lightweight what does that make Sunak? If he can "do damage", what do you think Truss did? Or Cameron? Or Boris or May? WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT 2.4 MILLION MIGRANTS IN 3 YEARS - would Farage do that? Nope

Again and again we come back to what the Tories have acrually done in 14 years and there ain't nothing there, and what is there is nearly all disastrous. They did Brexit, but they have refused to exploit it. Fuck em. Time to die
    Never underestimate the ability of any government to cause damage.

A Farage government would cause damage. Lots of damage.

It may also do some good things - whether the trade off is net positive is debateable.

As to what the Conservatives have done in government:

Full employment
    Housing more affordable in much of the country
    National insurance reductions
    Pensions reform
    Affluent oldies
    Exam grade inflation controlled
    Big increase in NHS workforce
    Environmental improvements

Whether you consider them positives or whether you consider them worth the negatives is again debateable.
  • Options
    Starmer does a TV clip

@SkyNews

BREAKING: Sir Keir Starmer has reacted to Rishi Sunak's apology for leaving the D-Day ceremony early

https://x.com/SkyNews/status/1799017514888048853

Still waiting for Richi to poke his head out
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 986

Chameleon said:

Old lady Brady innit! I'm telling ya, he's fighting to keep his job
    Hasn't Brady retired now? I hope that he's sitting by the pool somewhere warm, on his second G&T of the morning and counting his blessings that he's not having to deal with this mess anymore.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,314
    So what bad news has been buried today?
  • Options

Any others ?

If the story is true that he originally planned not to go at all, then it's possible they played a part in ensuring that he went.
    Could be.

We'll certainly hear more, possibly after the election, about who knew what and who thought what.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Starmer does a TV clip

@SkyNews

BREAKING: Sir Keir Starmer has reacted to Rishi Sunak's apology for leaving the D-Day ceremony early

Rishi has given SKS an open goal. The only conclusion is, Sunak has put a mil on Labour to win.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

geoffw said:

The Conservative Party
    That is not being buried, it's being proclaimed to high heaven

• Options

According to Harwood they're going to fence sit as there's a big split on who to support
    Any sources or links?

I can't believe Rupert will fence sit. The article SKS did the other day reminded me of that one Blair did prior to 1997 on Europe.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,429
    FF43 said:

maaarsh said:

BobSykes said:

Tories got a 10 year majority last time, things can turn much quicker than you think.
    I admit as someone who thought Johnson had realigned politics for a generation, I was surprised how quickly it all fell apart. So we shouldn't make the same assumption about Starmer going on for ever. Nevertheless the opposite assumption is also a mistake. My impression of Starmer is he is very ambitious for a lengthy period in office and will do his utmost to win the following election.

So Starmer might crash and burn or he might be there for years and years. Not a particularly useful assessment for a site dedicated to political predictions, I accept.
    Blair had a golden inheritance and held it together for just over a decade. Starmer is inheriting a broken country with no real plans to change it beyond a generic left-wing playbook imposed on an already record tax take. His chances of making it work are very slim.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,077
    Andy_JS said:

Storm in a teacup.

Cobblers. He tried to make national defence a wedge issue, absurdly claiming that only he/the Tories are patriotic and will keep us safe.

Having done that, he tries to get out of going to Normandy at all. Campaigning - openly lying - was his priority. Reluctantly he goes to France, cosplays someone who cares about veterans, then comes back for an ITV interview which HE scheduled. To defend more lies and keep insisting his lie was not a lie despite it being completely demolished.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 41,151
    geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

The Conservative Party

Don't you mean dead and stinking to h. h.?

• Options
    edited June 7

Any sources or links?

I can't believe Rupert will fence sit. The article SKS did the other day reminded me of that one Blair did prior to 1997 on Europe.
    I think we get an less than enthusiastic, "its time for a change, but we will be watching you Starmer", rather than any full blooded support.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 118,285

No. They will either not do an endorsement or endorse Reform if Farage's party overtakes Sunak's in the polls
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 12,183
    JACK_W said:

The Allied forces were first on the beaches, Sunak was first to leave the beaches.

Many paid the ultimate price, Sunak may pay the ultimate political price.

Did Chris Huhne pay the ultimate Pryce ?
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,077
    Chameleon said:

Perhaps they have been read the riot act with compliance. They've done something very naughty and the Electoral Commission have told them to pull them or else.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

geoffw said:

Farooq said:

geoffw said:

The Conservative Party

Don't you mean dead and stinking to h. h.?

I'm after the known or unknown unknowns lost amidst all this hooha

• Options
    Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

I hesitate to mention this, but could Sunak’s background be an issue. He’s of Indian descent and his family are fairly recent migrants

For a British politician with that innate sense if British history - parents who remember the war or grandparents who were in wars - etc etc - then D Day is iconic. It’s in your blood. No way you make this howling error

For someone like Sunak D Day may appear like some quaint ceremony of a long ago war. He might appreciate it intellectually but doesn’t get it emotionally. Because of his background

I hasten to add I have no problem with a migrant prime minister. Just as long as they are competent! I’d have no problem with a bloody robot premier - they’d probably be better

Yes but if the UK's first non white PM loses his first election by a landslide that also kills off the prospect of any further ethnic minority leaders of a major UK party for a generation unfortunately
  • Options
    @breeallegretti
    A Tory candidate seeking reelection says of Sunak flying back early from D-Day commemorations:

“This is like when Theresa May didn’t meet victims of the Grenfell Tower in 2017. Then it was The Queen who stepped in, yesterday it was Keir Starmer.”

Concerns already being relayed to Sunak’s political secretary to make the strength of anger known.
  • Options
    edited June 7
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

Yes but if the UK's first non white PM loses his first election by a landslide that also kills off the prospect of any further ethnic minority leaders of a major UK party for a generation unfortunately
    Does it...I don't think colour will be the issue. I think more likely that it will severely limit anybody who is ultra wealthy from getting the top job.
  • Options

Any sources or links?

Tom Harwoods twitter
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,767
    geoffw said:

Goodness knows. It's all piling up, and none of it is good for the Conservatives. All their defences are crumbling and all their attacks are petering out. I find it difficult to internalise the fact that the £2000 line died in less than 48hrs: an attack with some truth in it, that had previously proven lethal, was entirely ineffective. It's like that bit in Independence Day where they fire the missiles and the shields stop all of them. I have not got a clue what the Conservatives can or should do now.
  • Options
    edited June 7
    glw said:

geoffw said:

Sunak is plainly smart, and hard working, and by political standards reasonably honest. He was perfectly fine as Chancellor.

The trouble is Sunak's political skills and instincts are woeful. He's absolutely out of his depth. It's a shame he didn't have enough self-awareness to realise that PM is not the job for him, a problem he shares with Gordon Brown.
    Yes, as I said at the time the Conservatives should have kept Boris, as Labour should have kept Blair then too.

If they lost the subsequent GE fine and they could get a new leader in opposition but it would likely have been by a smaller margin than Brown lost or Sunak is likely to lose and a Boris led Conservative party would certainly not be polling less 20 to 25% or less and Reform would certainly not be on 15%+
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

Does it...I don't think colour will be the issue. I think more likely that it will severely limit anybody who is ultra wealthy from getting top job.
    If it stops anyone so utterly crap from getting the job, it will have been a noble sacrifice...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,231

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

Does it...I don't think colour will be the issue. I think more likely that it will severely limit anybody who is ultra wealthy from getting the top job.
    It depends how they became ultra wealthy. It wouldn’t be a barrier for someone like JK Rowling.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

geoffw said:

Goodness knows. It's all piling up, and none of it is good for the Conservatives. All their defences are crumbling and all their attacks are petering out. I find it difficult to internalise the fact that the £2000 line died in less than 48hrs: an attack with some truth in it, that had previously proven lethal, was entirely ineffective. It's like that bit in Independence Day where they fire the missiles and the shields stop all of them. I have not got a clue what the Conservatives can or should do now.
    But that line is going to get another outing next week, when they finally broadcast the interview that was so important to film yesterday
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

Not necessarily - some immigrants become 'more British than the British'.

What it might do is kill off anyone with an image of posho globalised wealth.
  • Options
    edited June 7

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

It depends how they became ultra wealthy. It wouldn’t be a barrier for someone like JK Rowling.
    I don't know. Sunak background should be quite inspiring. Immigrant family who worked super hard and spent every penny to give their kid opportunity and he took it with success at school and work before giving that up to enter politics. But he isn't able to even fake that he is some what in touch.

The problem for the Tories is they have had Cameron followed by Boris and now Sunak. May and Truss were just weird. They need to find somebody with a middle ground of normal background and who isn't weird.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,215
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

Not really - it has nothing to do with his skin colour, he’s just shite.
  • Options
    edited June 7
    nova said:

DM_Andy said:

So imagine Reform entering the Commons with 3 MPs (Farage, Tice and Anderson). Tories come back with less than 100 and the two parties merge. What's the mechanism for Farage to become the leader of the merged party? What's then stopping the centre-right wing of the party to walk out in an echo of 1981?

I can't see how a party with 3 MPs would be in a position to control the party with nearer 100.

In Canada, the example that Farage likes to mention, the new Reform party had 52 seats (which would equate to around 115 in the UK), so had a lot more power.

If the result is 100-3, then clearly the Tory vote is still a lot more powerful in its concentration, and without PR, a lot of Tory MPs could be risking their seats to sign up with Reform. I think you're correct, that the centre-right would still hold quite a lot of power.

Unless Reform make a huge breakthrough - and frankly, given the way things are going, it's not impossible for the Tory vote to crash, then I'd be surprised if it worked out quite so easily for Farage.

Has anyone seen any polling on what the current Tory voters think of Reform? I know that we've seen a lot on Reform voters having a poor opinion of the Tories and Sunak (hence why a pact was probably never on the cards), but no the other way around.
    True, though if Reform got 28% and the Tories collapsed to 10% (with Labour on 43% and the LDs also on 10%) Labour get 469 seats, it is Reform who get 101 seats (close to Canadian Reform then), the LDs 38, SNP 13, Tories just 5 (close to Canadian Tories 2 then) and Greens 3
    https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=10&LAB=43&LIB=10&Reform=28&Green=5&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=17&SCOTLAB=36.8&SCOTLIB=8.4&SCOTReform=1.9&SCOTGreen=1.4&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=31.1&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019nbbase
  • Options

Any sources or links?

Tom Harwoods twitter
    Can't see anything. You'll have to link.
  • Options
    Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

I just don't buy that explanation. He grew up here. He went to school here. He will have experienced the poppies every November. He's done two Remembrance Sundays as PM. He will have seen the criticism of other MPs for minor transgressions at similar events.

He's clearly under a lot of pressure, and high levels of stress impair decision-making. But I think it's more that he systematically undervalues the front of house aspect of leadership, and that's the underlying instinct that led him astray, rather than that he didn't have a Grandpa with war stories. And, who knows what Grandpa Sunak did in the war in India?
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

I'm quite worried yesterdays mess may mean they cancel Saturday's planned activity of *checks notes* Sunak personally strapping Paddington Bear on a Rwanda Air plane.

They can pivot straight to drowning puppies instead
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,306
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

It really doesn’t. Unless you think it’s because he’s inept because of his ethnicity.

Spoiler alert, that’s not the reason.
  • Options
    edited June 7

glw said:

geoffw said:

Sunak's other problem shared with Gordon Brown is that instead of leaning into his own image (Not Flash, just Gordon) both Sunak and Brown have allowed themselves to be directed by their Party spin teams as continuations of their predecessors, hence Sunak's faux Boris act.
    Being seen as inauthentic is a killer for a politician. Once its gone, it gone.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,657
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

That’s nonsense. It just means the next migrant PM should appoint Advisors on Innate Britishness. Because it is a thing. People with deep roots in a country understand it in a way recent arrivals do not. If your great great grandfather fought at the Somme and your grandfather at Normandy then you will understand Britain and its history a lot better - in your soul - than someone whose parents arrived after WW2

Migrants face this challenge whereevrr they go. But they also bring distinct advantages. A new eye. A fresh perspective. Fewer hang ups

Sunak’s problem seems to be a lack of good advisors. Someone with a sense of Britains military history should have been able to say “mate. You do D day. All of it. End of”
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,181
    Scott_xP said:

Chameleon said:

I'm quite worried yesterdays mess may mean they cancel Saturday's planned activity of *checks notes* Sunak personally strapping Paddington Bear on a Rwanda Air plane.

Not unpopular enough. I think a hot mic of slagging off old queenie may have to take it's place.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Cicero said:

There he blows!

YIMBY Gold award:

Selby
    Huntingdonshire
    Mid Suffolk
    Telford and Wrekin
    West Lindsey

Pendle
    Thurrock
    Swale
    Epping Forest
    Peterborough

Where on earth did that come from? Epping Forest is building new council homes as well as 11,000 new homes over the next decade under its Local Plan.

Hence Nimbys have been voting LD and Independent, though the Tories just held the council in May
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,766
    edited June 7
    Things are so bad for the Rishi that SLab are airbrushing Jezza back into their collective memory.

https://x.com/cat_headley/status/1798953416225669253?s=61&t=LYVEHh2mqFy1oUJAdCfe-Q
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

viewcode said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Cicero said:

There he blows!

YIMBY Gold award:

Selby
    Huntingdonshire
    Mid Suffolk
    Telford and Wrekin
    West Lindsey

Pendle
    Thurrock
    Swale
    Epping Forest
    Peterborough

8.2% increase in homes
    Why are you lying?

That's quite a lot
    England and Wales. And yes, I agree - and some of them are under enormous pressure. Some have managed to cope to an extent, others not. And you get huge local imbalances - look at Camden's population actually falling, contributing to pressure in neighbouring areas.

A Scottish example would be the enormous growth in housing in the Lothians, taking off some pressure in Edinburgh, even while house prices in Greenock....

In fact, I think the house building in the Lothians will have the perverse effect of supercharging the housing market in Edinburgh.

Cities are snowballing. The supply of people and demand for housing are not independent. As Edinburgh and its economy grows, more and more people will want to live and work there.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,188
    FFS, Sunak isn't a "migrant".
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,454
    Scott_xP said:

Starmer does a TV clip

@SkyNews

Interesting that the interviewer was almost begging Starmer to accuse Sunak of lying about D Day.
  • Options
    Chameleon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chameleon said:

Not unpopular enough. I think a hot mic of slagging off old queenie may have to take it's place.
    The King, who has cancer, stayed all day. Richi couldn't be arsed.

Maybe he needs to call them "suckers and losers" ?

Worked for Trump
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Cicero said:

There he blows!

YIMBY Gold award:

Selby
    Huntingdonshire
    Mid Suffolk
    Telford and Wrekin
    West Lindsey

Pendle
    Thurrock
    Swale
    Epping Forest
    Peterborough

Where on earth did that come from? Epping Forest is building new council homes as well as 11,000 new homes over the next decade under its Local Plan.

Hence Nimbys have been voting LD and Independent, though the Tories just held the council in May
    Fair enough! This was 2011 to 2021. Making good.

RemindMe! 10 years
  • Options
    northern_monkeynorthern_monkey Posts: 1,593
    @mikegalsworthy

And the promise of Brexit dies…

…not with a bang, but a whimper of gibberish.

https://x.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1799011913806057907?s=61&t=R6lKH2EZT0v_boZqogHuwA

For those of you not inclined to follow the link, it takes you to a clip of last night’s QT. Fiona Bruce asks the audience ‘Who here is seeing the benefits of Brexit?’

One guy raises his hand.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,966
    I've received a poster from the party displaying the nice simple message: Vote Labour. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to put it up because it has a big Union Jack on it and from a distance (ie from the street) that could look a bit seamy. However I've managed to fold it such that the flag disappears and all you can see is the red. So up it's gone, smaller than it would have been but I don't think that matters.
  • Options

Any sources or links?

Tom Harwoods twitter
    Can't see anything. You'll have to link.
    My apologies, I didn't mean Tom Harwood (who's he?? Lol)
    https://x.com/danwootton/status/1798805785751011587?s=19
  • Options
    Big_IanBig_Ian Posts: 63

The Normandy snub is probably going to become the defining moment for Sunak in this campaign.

It will cut through because it's about more than just the normal political point-scoring and mud-slinging.

It's also revealing about Sunak's character, priorities and understanding. https://t.co/25y8brAslk

— David Herdson (@DavidHerdson) June 7, 2024
  • Options

Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

I just don't buy that explanation. He grew up here. He went to school here. He will have experienced the poppies every November. He's done two Remembrance Sundays as PM. He will have seen the criticism of other MPs for minor transgressions at similar events.

He's clearly under a lot of pressure, and high levels of stress impair decision-making. But I think it's more that he systematically undervalues the front of house aspect of leadership, and that's the underlying instinct that led him astray, rather than that he didn't have a Grandpa with war stories. And, who knows what Grandpa Sunak did in the war in India?
    Done a little reading, and both Sunak's Grandparents were in East Africa during the war, working for the British colonial authorities.
  • Options
    @BestForBritain

Sunak is getting the wrong sort of international exposure. Front page on NBC. It really would be quite something if he managed to have such a disastrous campaign that he limits even his future prospects as a tech-bro CEO. ~AA

https://x.com/BestForBritain/status/1799022507108028897
  • Options
    Breaking:

Number 10 has issued a formal denial of claims that Rishi Sunak was originally considering missing the D-Day commemorations *entirely*

No 10 spokesman: 'The PM was always scheduled to attend D-Day commemorations, including the UK National Commemoration event in Normandy, and it is incorrect to suggest otherwise'

https://x.com/steven_swinford/status/1799022387997893087?s=46

That looks like a pretty forceful denial. They will be so screwed if someone leaks to the contrary.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,645

They're running some great headlines, though:

"This D-Day cock-up is final proof that Rishi Sunak is an embarrassment to Britain"

Alongside:

"I may have to vote for Rishi Sunak after all"

(Though admittedly the latter is by AEP, which is another kiss of death.)
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 21,580

Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

300 Indian soldiers fought at Dunkirk, as part of 2.5m Indians who volunteered to fight with us.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,478
    Chameleon said:

I'm quite worried yesterdays mess may mean they cancel Saturday's planned activity of *checks notes* Sunak personally strapping Paddington Bear onto a Rwanda Air plane.

Bless you . That was a classic .
  • Options
    Sky now has video of him running away yesterday

https://x.com/SkyNews/status/1799023143593590951
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@BestForBritain

Sunak is getting the wrong sort of international exposure. Front page on NBC. It really would be quite something if he managed to have such a disastrous campaign that he limits even his future prospects as a tech-bro CEO. ~AA

https://x.com/BestForBritain/status/1799022507108028897

Nick Clegg says hello. As long as Sunak wins more than 8 seats.... ah hang on.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 986
    What I would be offering Farage right now if I were Sunak.

Alliance between Con and Ref.
    Reform stand down in all Tory seats where the sitting MP is going for reelection (except Clacton)
    Tories stand down in all other Tory seats
    Everywhere else is 50/50.
    Sunak promises to resign immediately post election.
    Leader of a merged party to be elected with the MPs of both parties voting for a final two and the final vote being an electoral college of Tory members (50%) and Reform members (50%).

They have about 4 hours to organise it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,645
    HYUFD said:

Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

Wow.
    That's currently in the running for daft take of the day.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,575
    Tory win now out to 66/1 for the very brave.

Best you can get on a Labour win is 1/14.

• Options
    Scott_xP said:

Sky now has video of him running away yesterday

https://x.com/SkyNews/status/1799023143593590951

Was heavy rain forecast perchance?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,766
    kinabalu said:

I've received a poster from the party displaying the nice simple message: Vote Labour. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to put it up because it has a big Union Jack on it and from a distance (ie from the street) that could look a bit seamy. However I've managed to fold it such that the flag disappears and all you can see is the red. So up it's gone, smaller than it would have been but I don't think that matters.

If you have a sudden urge to come to Scotland to campaign for SLab, fear not, nary a sign of a UJ on their election literature.
  • Options
    edited June 7
    Leon said:

HYUFD said:

Leon said:

It’s quite shameful

That’s nonsense. It just means the next migrant PM should appoint Advisors on Innate Britishness. Because it is a thing. People with deep roots in a country understand it in a way recent arrivals do not. If your great great grandfather fought at the Somme and your grandfather at Normandy then you will understand Britain and its history a lot better - in your soul - than someone whose parents arrived after WW2

Migrants face this challenge whereevrr they go. But they also bring distinct advantages. A new eye. A fresh perspective. Fewer hang ups

Sunak’s problem seems to be a lack of good advisors. Someone with a sense of Britains military history should have been able to say “mate. You do D day. All of it. End of”
    No it isn't. You may not like it but if an ethnic minority PM loses by a landslide to a white male like Starmer the main parties will conclude the UK electorate are just not ready for a non white PM (even Obama of course lost the US white vote in 2008 and 2012, it was the massive black turnout for him, especially in 2012 and most of the Hispanic vote that got him elected and re elected but the UK Hindu population is far smaller than the US African American population).

As you have said only those with direct family links to fighters in WW2 can truly emotionally feel it, that means on your argument white British almost certainly.

In 10 or 20 years when WW2 is as far away as WW1 is now and all veterans are dead it may be less of an issue but for now it is
  • Options
    DM_Andy said:

What I would be offering Farage right now if I were Sunak.

Alliance between Con and Ref.
    Reform stand down in all Tory seats where the sitting MP is going for reelection (except Clacton)
    Tories stand down in all other Tory seats
    Everywhere else is 50/50.
    Sunak promises to resign immediately post election.
    Leader of a merged party to be elected with the MPs of both parties voting for a final two and the final vote being an electoral college of Tory members (50%) and Reform members (50%).

They have about 4 hours to organise it.

That would be accepted and Farage would lead the new party without any doubt.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,966
    edited June 7
    Scott_xP said:

Chameleon said:

Scott_xP said:

Chameleon said:

The King, who has cancer, stayed all day. Richi couldn't be arsed.

Maybe he needs to call them "suckers and losers" ?

Worked for Trump
    An item on the very long list of Trump statements that you'd have thought would finish him yet somehow did not.
This discussion has been closed.