Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The next chapter of the Scottish play? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,816
    Dura_Ace said:

megasaur said:

Good morning everyone. That’s a greeting, not a wish that Conservative supporters have to stop feeling pessimistic.

Mrs Cole has just asked me a question to which I don’t know the answer…… one of many over the years, of course, but this time people here may be able to help.
    Does this National Service thing apply to both sexes, or just males. If so, do girls get the military option? (We know there are women in the Armed Services.)

It really can't be boys only

There was a stunning interview on r4 pick of the week last night. Female us f16 fighter pilot, just qualified on 9/11 but still in training squadron so no live weapons, sent up with instructions to collide with flight 93 to prevent it reaching Washington [spoiler: it had actually crashed by the time she took off,,but she didn't know that].
    F-16 always flies with at least 100 rounds in the gun to maintain CoG limits so "Lucky" Penney wasn't totally unarmed as the legend now has it. However, that might not have been enough to bring down UA93 (M61 will do 100 rounds in one second) so a Sonderkommando Elbe style ramming attack was always a possibility. Aim for the cockpit and bang out at the last second. Home for tea and medals.
    What is a CoG limit and why must it be maintained?
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,981

Eabhal said:

Morning all. Off to do some non-compulsory volunteering...

It doesn't count if you enjoy it.

The latest research suggests even the pyramids didn't require compulsory volunteering.
    Yay - Kant early on a Bank Holiday morning. Doing a good turn is of no moral worth if you enjoy doing it.
    So, when I find an errant shopping trolley on my way to the local supermarket, I should not return it?
    This is about the limit of my "do-goodery" these days.
    Alan, I'm sure others have mentioned it too, but congratulations on being the only entrant in Ben's Excellent Competition to predict correctly the date of the GE.

How does it feel to be a front-runner?
    To be honest, I had forgotten about that competition.
    What??!!!

Some people would saw off a leg to win it.

JackW used to cheat shamelessly.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 52,080
    Carnyx said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

@sharonodea

I asked ChatGPT to suggest four completely mad ideas the UK’s Conservative Party could include in their manifesto.

I fully expect to see at least one of these announced before the week is out.

https://x.com/sharonodea/status/1794754014686711816

National Tea Time. Excellent. Made me LOL.
    The tea at 4pm proposal is fairly sound, but it needs a R4 Today gotcha interview about whether this is enforced by custodial sentences are merely a fine. There is also the question of how to afford two sorts of cake (Victoria sponge and coffee and walnut for me please) what with the cost of living and all that.
    My 2 favourite cakes. You've got my vote.
    I thought Dundee cake would be your thing?
    Dundee cake is fine but Victoria sponge well made with a slightly tart jam to offset the sweetness of the cream and coffee and walnut are simply divine. @algarkirk is a man of excellent taste and judgment.
    *Home made raspberry jam from the garden.*
    Now we're talking. And look, just after 11!
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,354
    megasaur said:

Tres said:

megasaur said:

Don't purdah rules preclude civil servants from taking politically sensitive actions during the campaign?

Campaign hasn't started yet.
    In what sense?
    the legal sense
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,162
    Good morning, everyone.

Jaffa cakes are obviously cakes. Only heretics claim otherwise.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,957
    boulay said:

Heathener said:

kinabalu said:

MJW said:

One Downing Street insider called the 61- year-old Labour leader "Sleepy Keir", an apparent attempt to link him in the public's mind to the US's 81-year-old President Joe Biden, dubbed "Sleepy Joe" by Donald Trump. "Campaigns are tough, tiring things and it's understandable that he may be weary," said a Tory campaign official. "But being prime minister is a 24/7 job which requires stamina."

https://x.com/JamesFitzJourno/status/1795015985461653708/photo/1

They really are very bad at this, considering whatever you think of him Starmer looks a young 61, famously plays football every week and kind of looks like a Thunderbirds character gone slightly to seed.

If it were Corbyn it would make sense, if still daft. But not here.

Plus, what a way to insult the only people in the country still voting for you as past it.
    I honestly think SKS is quite a sexy man. I say as a straight man.
    Who is the Labour leader?
    His name is Starmer ... Keir Starmer.
    Famously, but perhaps apocryphally, Mark Darcy from Bridget Jones was modelled on him.

I never got a “son of a toolmaker” vibe off Mark Darcy, more upper middle class son of a lawyer by way of Radley and Oxford. Maybe it was a different human rights lawyer she based him on.
    Just the hunky looks and air of stolid decency, I think.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,575

Good morning, everyone.

I’ve never understood this debate. They are called ‘cakes’ and made of sponge.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,069
    edited May 27

One Downing Street insider called the 61- year-old Labour leader "Sleepy Keir", an apparent attempt to link him in the public's mind to the US's 81-year-old President Joe Biden, dubbed "Sleepy Joe" by Donald Trump. "Campaigns are tough, tiring things and it's understandable that he may be weary," said a Tory campaign official. "But being prime minister is a 24/7 job which requires stamina."

They really are crap at politics. Starmer looks very good for somebody in their 60s (albeit he has got a bit chunkier in recent years). Sleepy is not a word I would ever equate with him.

Where as Biden, you are never sure if he will actually make it to the end of a speech without the batteries running out and he spends large parts of the day not working as he is actually asleep.

Trump is very good at these insults, but he A/B tests them at all the rallies he does. He is like a comedian testing out the gags, so when its Live at the Apollo time, he has the lines that worked the best ready to go.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

More in Common has a swing of 3.5% from SNP to Tory. So while in England and Wales the Conservatives look headed for a 1997 style landslide defeat, in Scotland the Scottish Tories may even gain some seats from the SNP and avoid the wipeout they got in 1997

Has anyone done a seat projection from that Scottish poll?
    Because it is vital for knowing the landing zone percentage lead for majority/NOM.
    Apologies if already posted.
    Electoral Calculus (rolls eyes) says Lab 29 SNP 16 Con 7 LD 5.
    My guess would be that that is probably not far off for Scotland.
  • Options
    Tres said:

megasaur said:

Tres said:

megasaur said:

Don't purdah rules preclude civil servants from taking politically sensitive actions during the campaign?

In what sense?
    the legal sense
    Purdah officially began on Saturday, even though the official campaign doesn’t start until Thursday.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

kinabalu said:

MJW said:

They really are very bad at this, considering whatever you think of him Starmer looks a young 61, famously plays football every week and kind of looks like a Thunderbirds character gone slightly to seed.

Plus, what a way to insult the only people in the country still voting for you as past it.
    Famously, but perhaps apocryphally, Mark Darcy from Bridget Jones was modelled on him.

I never got a “son of a toolmaker” vibe off Mark Darcy, more upper middle class son of a lawyer by way of Radley and Oxford. Maybe it was a different human rights lawyer she based him on.
    In politics the bar for ‘hunky’ is even lower that for ‘decency’ 😉
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,308
    edited May 27

Dura_Ace said:

megasaur said:

Good morning everyone. That’s a greeting, not a wish that Conservative supporters have to stop feeling pessimistic.

Mrs Cole has just asked me a question to which I don’t know the answer…… one of many over the years, of course, but this time people here may be able to help.
    Does this National Service thing apply to both sexes, or just males. If so, do girls get the military option? (We know there are women in the Armed Services.)

There was a stunning interview on r4 pick of the week last night. Female us f16 fighter pilot, just qualified on 9/11 but still in training squadron so no live weapons, sent up with instructions to collide with flight 93 to prevent it reaching Washington [spoiler: it had actually crashed by the time she took off,,but she didn't know that].
    F-16 always flies with at least 100 rounds in the gun to maintain CoG limits so "Lucky" Penney wasn't totally unarmed as the legend now has it. However, that might not have been enough to bring down UA93 (M61 will do 100 rounds in one second) so a Sonderkommando Elbe style ramming attack was always a possibility. Aim for the cockpit and bang out at the last second. Home for tea and medals.
    The Centre of Gravity of the aircraft. The FCS (flight control system) has a range of acceptable CoGs aft-to-forward that it can manage. If the CoG is outside limits then the behaviour of the FCS and hence the aircraft in pitch axis is probably going to be problematic. Putting 100 rounds in the gun of the F-16 is enough to move the CoG forward into those limits.

You can't take the gun out of the Typhoon for the same reason though the RAF wanted to. They thought about putting a ballast in the gun bay instead but that worked out more expensive than just leaving the gun in.

E2A: It also makes the aircraft easier to handle on the ground by putting more weight over the nose wheel. Except on the MiG-21 where nothing helps.
  • Options
    NickyBreakspearNickyBreakspear Posts: 722
    Tres said:

megasaur said:

Tres said:

megasaur said:

In what sense?
    the legal sense
    According to this document https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn05262/ the pre-election period of sensitivity (previously known as purdah) commenced on 25 May 2024.

The 25 day official election countdown starts on Thursday when parliament is dissolved.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 78,069
    edited May 27
    Ghedebrav said:

kinabalu said:

boulay said:

Heathener said:

kinabalu said:

MJW said:

In politics the bar for ‘hunky’ is even lower that for ‘decency’ 😉
    Need we forget the supposed politically engaged yuff getting all hot under the collar over Ed Miliband...
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,058

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

More in Common has a swing of 3.5% from SNP to Tory. So while in England and Wales the Conservatives look headed for a 1997 style landslide defeat, in Scotland the Scottish Tories may even gain some seats from the SNP and avoid the wipeout they got in 1997

Because it is vital for knowing the landing zone percentage lead for majority/NOM.
    I would edge up the SNP seats a bit, and SLAB down a few but looks the right ballpark.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    A minister has said that the Conservative's new national service scheme was 'sprung on' MPs and candidates without consultation

Steve Baker, an NI minister, said that the policy 'was developed by a political adviser or advisers and sprung on candidates, some of whom are relevant ministers'

Not according to @Taz:
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@alexwickham

James Cleverly immediately rows back on the compulsory nature of the National Service idea

No criminal sanction if people don’t want to do it, he tells Sky

@rafaelbehr

So they've u-turned already or they lied in the press briefing?

@jonsopel

It’s almost as though this policy hasn’t been properly thought through and has been written on back of a fag packet (now that cigs aren’t going to be banned)

IANAE but inventing a new policy on the spur of the moment might be a risky game to play.
    But it hasn’t been. It has been in development a while. William Hague has been involved in crafting it.
    Sounds like the crap Vague would come up with for sure.
    I thought you were all for compelling today's feckless youth to do time polishing boots and marching around parade grounds?
    I would make the b*ggers work. Get them out sweeping the streets, picking up litter , getting chewing gum off pavements, painting graffiti and helping old ladies across the street. 8 am - 5pm with 30 minutes for lunch. Pay retired soldiers to ensure disciplne and no slacking.
    No cushy billets.
    Would they get a break for National Tea Time?
    Hang on, what about us tea-hating coffee drinkers? And will there be vegan options?
    Nice example of why politics and statute drafting is hard. The Afternoon Tea Act 2025 will need 120 sections and 47 schedules and the debate over exemptions (The Bakewell Tart Regulations are only one example) takes 9 days in the House of Commons.
    Remember the argument over whether Jaffas were cakes or biscuits. Went all the way to high legal arbitration.
    That was, is and always will be about greedy transnational Big Food trying to avoid VAT on their UPF. The Pringles case always makes me smile.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,763
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

megasaur said:

The Centre of Gravity of the aircraft. The FCS (flight control system) has a range of acceptable CoGs aft-to-forward that it can manage. If the CoG is outside limits then the behaviour of the FCS and hence the aircraft in pitch axis is probably going to be problematic. Putting 100 rounds in the gun of the F-16 is enough to move the CoG forward into those limits.

You can't take the gun out of the Typhoon for the same reason though the RAF wanted to. They thought about putting a ballast in the gun bay instead but that worked out more expensive than just leaving the gun in.
    So if an F16 uses all its ammunition up, it falls out of the sky?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,757
    Heathener said:

The George Eaton piece on ‘What is Starmerism?’ *

https://www.newstatesman.com/cover-story/2024/05/what-is-starmerism

* I’m pretty sure Keir Starmer would loathe the idea of ‘Starmerism’. That’s exactly what he doesn’t stand for.

non-paywall: https://archive.is/pxSWa
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 4,079
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

I would edge up the SNP seats a bit, and SLAB down a few but looks the right ballpark.
    I just put the raw %ages into their Scottish predictor. There are a lot of marginals.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 46,058
    Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

megasaur said:

E2A: It also makes the aircraft easier to handle on the ground by putting more weight over the nose wheel. Except on the MiG-21 where nothing helps.
    Presumably though you unbalance the CoG by firing the last 100 rounds.
  • Options
    spudgfshspudgfsh Posts: 1,394
    Eabhal said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

megasaur said:

The most important thing with regards to CoG for fighter aircraft is the fuel. knowing which tanks have fuel, how much and actively moving fuel between tanks will be used to manage the CoG
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

megasaur said:

No, because it will have used up some fuel by then thus necessitating a whole other set of rebalancing maneuvers.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,445
    Scott_xP said:

Apparently this is the real Richi, not the spoof one...

@RishiSunak

Not a single plan for the future.

Our country needs bold action, not waffle.

Quite right. American waffles have no place in the British National Tea Time.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Good morning, everyone.

I’ve never understood this debate. They are called ‘cakes’ and made of sponge.
    All about the VAT on luxury items. Big Food doesn't like VAT.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,765
    Eabhal said:

Dura_Ace said:

Dura_Ace said:

megasaur said:

Ideally whatever the F-16 has expended all its ammunition on falls out of the sky.
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,634
    Was thinking back yesterday to my votes in past General Elections:

3 x Labour
    2 x Conservative
    2 x LibDem

I guess that might baffle some of the partisan folk on here but I’m happy about it. I’ve voted Green at local level a number of times too.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,297
    Carnyx said:

algarkirk said:

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford
    A minister has said that the Conservative's new national service scheme was 'sprung on' MPs and candidates without consultation

Steve Baker, an NI minister, said that the policy 'was developed by a political adviser or advisers and sprung on candidates, some of whom are relevant ministers'

Not according to @Taz:
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@alexwickham

James Cleverly immediately rows back on the compulsory nature of the National Service idea

@rafaelbehr

@jonsopel

It’s almost as though this policy hasn’t been properly thought through and has been written on back of a fag packet (now that cigs aren’t going to be banned)

IANAE but inventing a new policy on the spur of the moment might be a risky game to play.
    But it hasn’t been. It has been in development a while. William Hague has been involved in crafting it.
    I thought you were all for compelling today's feckless youth to do time polishing boots and marching around parade grounds?
    I would make the b*ggers work. Get them out sweeping the streets, picking up litter , getting chewing gum off pavements, painting graffiti and helping old ladies across the street. 8 am - 5pm with 30 minutes for lunch. Pay retired soldiers to ensure disciplne and no slacking.
    No cushy billets.
    Hang on, what about us tea-hating coffee drinkers? And will there be vegan options?
    Nice example of why politics and statute drafting is hard. The Afternoon Tea Act 2025 will need 120 sections and 47 schedules and the debate over exemptions (The Bakewell Tart Regulations are only one example) takes 9 days in the House of Commons.
    Remember the argument over whether Jaffas were cakes or biscuits. Went all the way to high legal arbitration.
    The real test is simple for anything that could only be either a cake or a biscuit.

If it goes dryer/harder when left for a long time it's a cake;
    If it goes damper/softer when left for a long time it's a biscuit.

I think this may be some physics law about entropy at work.

Jaffa cakes are, of course, cakes under this rule. Rich tea biscuits are are the very paradigm of biscuits - you have to eat them all on opening or they liquify.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Apparently this is the real Richi, not the spoof one...

@RishiSunak

Not a single plan for the future.

Our country needs bold action, not waffle.

May I refer the honourable gentlemen to my comment at 9.21 this morning?

It's a plan. Not much of one but its a plan.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,286

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

@Steven_Swinford

Not according to @Taz:
    Taz said:

Scott_xP said:

@alexwickham

@rafaelbehr

@jonsopel

No cushy billets.
    A Conservative Party spokesperson has stated that coffee drinkers will not face custodial sentences if they refuse to drink tea.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,533
    Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Seeing as @Casino_Royale has openly admitted that he will be campaigning for the Conservative Party his posts are effectively @HYUFD style party political broadcasts

I know it's unwelcome to you to have another point of view intrude into your happy echo chamber but you're going to have to put up with it for the next 6 weeks, I'm afraid.

It's called democracy.
    Is it actually your point of view though or is it actually the point of view of the party which seems to change at the drop of a hat
    I always share on here my point of view.
    I look forward to you criticising aspects of the Tory manifesto that you disagree with
    Labour is now where our focus should be - look at the polls.

How about you look forward to me pointing out that SKS is far from the best thing since sliced bread and many of the policies he is proposing will exacerbate the problems in this country, not solve them?
    I actually agree with you there, from a political strategy perspective. That's why, even if a net neutral or slight positive, the National Service thing was silly.

The Ming vase strategy requires Labour to get through 6 weeks of as little media coverage as possible. That will be easy if we get more National Service type policies from Sunak.
    It's about denying any oxygen to Reform and rallying the base; it also shifts the debate to defence and security - and away from cost of living where Labour would like it.

SKS has responded by basically taking yesterday off to decide how to respond, so it has disrupted their grid, and he's trying to make a speech about security atm, but it hasn't got much beyond his first job "clearing stones for farmers" so far, which did make me chuckle.
    Very sensible of him.

I hope he takes a similar approach to being PM. Working 20 hour days, and trying to respond immediately to every shift in the political wind, exhausts PMs, and is probably part of the reason they make such poor decisions from time to time.

I don't hold out any great hopes for his administration, but basic competence would be an improvement on what we've had for most of the last decade.
    I mean one point is that the better you plan your campaign, the less hyperactive it needs to be. As your interventions land how you want them to, you're happy with you are in the polls - and you're not constantly having to be out there firefighting negative coverage.

• Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 6,634

Tres said:

megasaur said:

Tres said:

megasaur said:

In what sense?
    the legal sense
    According to this document https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/research-briefings/sn05262/ the pre-election period of sensitivity (previously known as purdah) commenced on 25 May 2024.

The 25 day official election countdown starts on Thursday when parliament is dissolved.
    Did anyone watch HIGNY on Friday? I wish I hadn’t bothered. The BBC had ordered them into impartiality but the result was anaemic.
  • Options
    In other F-16 news, Ukrainian Crew Training Plan C looks like it's finally coming together. Plan A was a multi-national centre in Romania. Nobody would pay for it. Plan B was Denmark which has gone very murky and produced no crew. Plan C is apparently Arizona ANG.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/first-ukrainian-pilots-graduate-us-f-16-training/

End of the year, apparently. They can do the flyover at DJT's inauguration before they head east.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,632

Nigelb said:

European countries are getting serious.

Spain is set to announce a new massive 1.13 billion Euro ($1.23 billion) military aid package for Ukraine.

The package will include roughly 12 additional PATRIOT interceptors, 19 Leopard 2A4s, and a large number of additional systems procured from the Spanish defense industry.

https://x.com/Osinttechnical/status/1794986685085757806

No longer are they just sending obsolete kit from reserves:
    "..Most of the funding will go to Spanish companies to procure new equipment for Ukraine.."

War, what is it good for absolutely nothing domestic arms manufacturers....
    South Korea is an interesting case - by selling its weapons abroad, it keeps the production lines open and running. With a large quantity of inventory ready to go at any time.

Which means that they are really, really ready. If the North goes South....
    I think it's the other way round with S Korea.
    It's only recently they've become such a large arms exporter, and that's on the back of having had to maintain arms development and manufacturing capacity to deal with the threat from the north.

It helps that their economy is so heavily skewed towards manufacturing.

But you're right that they're now reaping the benefits. With the exception of the KF21, which hasn't yet attracted any significant partners.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 57,303
    Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

Seeing as @Casino_Royale has openly admitted that he will be campaigning for the Conservative Party his posts are effectively @HYUFD style party political broadcasts

I know it's unwelcome to you to have another point of view intrude into your happy echo chamber but you're going to have to put up with it for the next 6 weeks, I'm afraid.

It's called democracy.
    Is it actually your point of view though or is it actually the point of view of the party which seems to change at the drop of a hat
    I look forward to you criticising aspects of the Tory manifesto that you disagree with

How about you look forward to me pointing out that SKS is far from the best thing since sliced bread and many of the policies he is proposing will exacerbate the problems in this country, not solve them?
    I actually agree with you there, from a political strategy perspective. That's why, even if a net neutral or slight positive, the National Service thing was silly.

The Ming vase strategy requires Labour to get through 6 weeks of as little media coverage as possible. That will be easy if we get more National Service type policies from Sunak.
    It's about denying any oxygen to Reform and rallying the base; it also shifts the debate to defence and security - and away from cost of living where Labour would like it.

SKS has responded by basically taking yesterday off to decide how to respond, so it has disrupted their grid, and he's trying to make a speech about security atm, but it hasn't got much beyond his first job "clearing stones for farmers" so far, which did make me chuckle.
    Very sensible of him.

I hope he takes a similar approach to being PM. Working 20 hour days, and trying to respond immediately to every shift in the political wind, exhausts PMs, and is probably part of the reason they make such poor decisions from time to time.

I don't hold out any great hopes for his administration, but basic competence would be an improvement on what we've had for most of the last decade.
    Exactly, your projections are based entirely on the frustrations of the existing administration.

Which is why absolutely no-one wants to hear any criticism whatever of SKS or his prospective new Labour administration.

It would destroy that.
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 586
    Dura_Ace said:

megasaur said:

It says here you can limit bursts to 2 rounds. So with an unarmed opponent you can go round 50 times trying to shoot him through the windscreen. Unnerving even if you miss.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,377
    Heathener said:

3 x Labour
    2 x Conservative
    2 x LibDem

I guess that might baffle some of the partisan folk on here but I’m happy about it. I’ve voted Green at local level a number of times too.

"When the facts change, I change my mind."

I'm baffled by people who vote the same way their entire life, tbh. At that point, you're just supporting your favourite football team, not casting a sensible vote on who is best suited to run the country.

Parties also change over time. I could vote for the economically and social liberal Conservatives of Cameron's era. You wouldn't catch me dead voting for the bunch of batshit crazy authoritarians running the Tories now.

Like others downthread I am concerned that Labour in power will trend towards authoritarianism. Not out of malice, but because they believe in the benevolence of the state. I don't believe in that, so I'll never find a natural home in Labour. But I sure as heck don't have one in the modern Conservative Party, either.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,422
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Spain is set to announce a new massive 1.13 billion Euro ($1.23 billion) military aid package for Ukraine.

The package will include roughly 12 additional PATRIOT interceptors, 19 Leopard 2A4s, and a large number of additional systems procured from the Spanish defense industry.

"..Most of the funding will go to Spanish companies to procure new equipment for Ukraine.."

South Korea is an interesting case - by selling its weapons abroad, it keeps the production lines open and running. With a large quantity of inventory ready to go at any time.

It's only recently they've become such a large arms exporter, and that's on the back of having had to maintain arms development and manufacturing capacity to deal with the threat from the north.

But you're right that they're now reaping the benefits. With the exception of the KF21, which hasn't yet attracted any significant partners.
    One way and another the two Koreas are turning into major arms suppliers. What happens if they both run out of customers?
  • Options
    In the new seat of Kensington and Bayswater, I see that running are both Emma Dent Coad as an independent, and a Workers Party candidate, Garry Cattle. Dent Coad was the former Labour MP for the predecessor Kensington constituency 2017-9. She’s a Corbynite and left the Labour Party last year.

Why on Earth are the Workers Party and Coad running against each other? This is why I think the impact of the Workers Party will be very limited. A new party that could embrace Dent Coad, Corbyn and Galloway, that might do well in places. Hard left candidates standing against each other, no chance.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

MJW said:

MJW said:

I don't think he plays each week any more, but the sleepy Keir nickname won't stick.

He is just pacing himself and preparing well, not throwing ideas from the random policy generator without prepping his own team.

He has a remorseless, meticulous well briefed plan and will stick to it as far as he can.
    He was still playing every week in February. No doubt Labour will put him on a 5 a side pitch at some point.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/tv/tv-news/keir-starmer-will-find-90-32240687
  • Options
    MJW said:

Foxy said:

MJW said:

MJW said:

I don't think he plays each week any more, but the sleepy Keir nickname won't stick.

He is just pacing himself and preparing well, not throwing ideas from the random policy generator without prepping his own team.

He has a remorseless, meticulous well briefed plan and will stick to it as far as he can.
    He was still playing every week in February. No doubt Labour will put him on a 5 a side pitch at some point.

Rishi can be the corner flag.
  • Options
    Heathener said:

3 x Labour
    2 x Conservative
    2 x LibDem

I've never lived in a location where my vote has made a difference. I've lived in very labour areas (both MP and Council) and very Tory areas (both MP and council). So I've done all sorts over the years including putting back the vote blank.

This time I've got a choice between
    * my local labour councillor (who should win comfortably)
    * Chris Williamson (yes that one) for the WPGB
    * Tory
    * reform
    * Green (good luck with that in the constituency which contains Rolls-Royce)
    * Lib Dem (TBC)

not sure what I'll do this time. I may mark multiple candidates or draw a 'none of the above box)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,643
    edited May 27

In the new seat of Kensington and Bayswater, I see that running are both Emma Dent Coad as an independent, and a Workers Party candidate, Garry Cattle. Dent Coad was the former Labour MP for the predecessor Kensington constituency 2017-9. She’s a Corbynite and left the Labour Party last year.

Why on Earth are the Workers Party and Coad running against each other? This is why I think the impact of the Workers Party will be very limited. A new party that could embrace Dent Coad, Corbyn and Galloway, that might do well in places. Hard left candidates standing against each other, no chance.

Because they are almost the antithesis of each other on social issues?
  • Options

But in Holborn & St Pancras, the Workers Party is supporting the independent Corbynite, Andrew Feinstein. That makes more sense, but it still shows the party’s weakness that Feinstein would rather run as an independent than as the official Workers Party candidate.
  • Options
    Now that would be a story. Imagine Charles inviting Sir Keir and Meghan to Buck House.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 61,056
    Good morning

I am sitting a lot of this debate out as, frankly, in a few weeks we will have a majority Starmer led government and for that Sunak deservers a lot of credit for 'biting the bullet' and lighting the touch paper to bring the curtain down on a divided, weary, and flawed conservative party (and it saddens me as on previous occasions at election time I have been an active member, but no longer)

I have no idea how Starmer will govern but he faces enormous problems which I genuinely do not think he has the courage or idea how to resolve, other than to plead for two terms which as we know is ambitious as the public want answers now especially on the NHS

• Options
    Eabhal said:

Now that would be a story. Imagine Charles inviting Sir Keir and Meghan to Buck House.
    Look at the top comment. I think Dura_Ace lives in Chadlington.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,211

It's called democracy.

I don't disagree with you - I am no massive SKS fan
  • Options
    twistedfirestopper3twistedfirestopper3 Posts: 2,209
    edited May 27

Good morning

I am sitting a lot of this debate out as, frankly, in a few weeks we will have a majority Starmer led government and for that Sunak deservers a lot of credit for 'biting the bullet' and lighting the touch paper to bring the curtain down on a divided, weary, and flawed conservative party (and it saddens me as on previous occasions at election time I have been an active member, but no longer)

I have no idea how Starmer will govern but he faces enormous problems which I genuinely do not think he has the courage or idea how to resolve, other than to plead for two terms which as we know is ambitious as the public want answers now especially on the NHS

Sunak deserves credit for calling an election he's only called because he thinks it's his best shot? You Tories'll believe any old shite.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Well, indeed, although the Workers Party is backing candidates who share similar views to Dent Coad on social issues in other constituencies. But, yes, that’s my point. The hard left are much less of a threat to the Labour Party while they can’t agree on so many positions. A pro-Gaza, Corbynite party would have more impact, but a socially conservative Galloway vehicle and a bunch of independents will struggle to gather any momentum.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 26,031
    edited May 27

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

It's called democracy.

Very sensible of him.

Exactly, your projections are based entirely on the frustrations of the existing administration.

Which is why absolutely no-one wants to hear any criticism whatever of SKS or his prospective new Labour administration.

It would destroy that.
    I’m looking forward to seeing criticisms that are based on reality rather than make believe. Which is why I find all the current SKS / Labour will do ABC things so funny because until we see Labour’s manifesto we don’t have a clue what will be done and what will be a priority…

And I suspect the first 6 months I’ll be firefighting the forthcoming disasters such as university finance, immigration ….
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,643

dixiedean said:

Well, indeed, although the Workers Party is backing candidates who share similar views to Dent Coad on social issues in other constituencies. But, yes, that’s my point. The hard left are much less of a threat to the Labour Party while they can’t agree on so many positions. A pro-Gaza, Corbynite party would have more impact, but a socially conservative Galloway vehicle and a bunch of independents will struggle to gather any momentum.
    This has ever been the case.
    For a comparison, contrast the official economic policies of Reform, and the views on public spending of those intending to vote for them.
  • Options

Good morning

Sunak deserves credit for calling an election he's only called because he thinks it's his best shot? You Tories'll believe any old shite.
    No - he never had a chance of winning and the conservative party urgently needs to go into opposition
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,320

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

The 4% for Reform looks a bit whiffy. The mind boggles at the type of candidates they’ll dig up (literally?) for Scotland.
    Annie Wells MSP would be an ideal fit for Reform. However, the Tories bagged her first.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 19,607
    edited May 27
    spudgfsh said:

Heathener said:

3 x Labour
    2 x Conservative
    2 x LibDem

I've never lived in a location where my vote has made a difference. I've lived in very labour areas (both MP and Council) and very Tory areas (both MP and council). So I've done all sorts over the years including putting back the vote blank.

* Tory
    * reform
    * Lib Dem (TBC)

not sure what I'll do this time. I may mark multiple candidates or draw a 'none of the above box)
    It seems quite polarised by area looking at Councillors.

Are the 5 (iicc: if I count correctly) for Reform Derby part of Reform UK?

And who are the 3 Independents?

Will you miss Ma Beckett (and her conservatory)?
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,847

Good morning

In Wales, of course, Tory MPs may lose their seats because of the inadequacies of the NHS while the actual perpetrators are hiding in Cardiff Bay.
  • Options

T’were ever thus, no? Since the Judean People’s Front, if not before.
  • Options

Good morning

In Wales, of course, Tory MPs may lose their seats because of the inadequacies of the NHS while the actual perpetrators are hiding in Cardiff Bay.
    And that is so true and such an irony
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,847

Good morning

I'm looking forward to Sunak's concession speech. "Another six months and we'd have cracked it."
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,320
    Dura_Ace said:

MJW said:

Foxy said:

MJW said:

MJW said:

Rishi can be the corner flag.
    Rishi can be the ball. Kicked by both sides.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,686
    edited May 27
    dixiedean said:

You’re not suggesting a merger of the People’s Front with the Popular Front?
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,932
    edited May 27
    kyf_100 said:

Heathener said:

3 x Labour
    2 x Conservative
    2 x LibDem

I'm baffled by people who vote the same way their entire life, tbh. At that point, you're just supporting your favourite football team, not casting a sensible vote on who is best suited to run the country.

Parties also change over time. I could vote for the economically and social liberal Conservatives of Cameron's era. You wouldn't catch me dead voting for the bunch of batshit crazy authoritarians running the Tories now.

Like others downthread I am concerned that Labour in power will trend towards authoritarianism. Not out of malice, but because they believe in the benevolence of the state. I don't believe in that, so I'll never find a natural home in Labour. But I sure as heck don't have one in the modern Conservative Party, either.
    Quite right. This time around I will vote Labour and it will be the first time I do so in a GE (I have gone with them recently in the locals too).

I have voted LD, but mostly Tory, at GEs before.

I’m not convinced Labour are going to be able to offer me a permanent political home but they are by far the best proposition this time around.
  • Options
    edited May 27
    Dura_Ace said:

In other F-16 news, Ukrainian Crew Training Plan C looks like it's finally coming together. Plan A was a multi-national centre in Romania. Nobody would pay for it. Plan B was Denmark which has gone very murky and produced no crew. Plan C is apparently Arizona ANG.

https://www.airandspaceforces.com/first-ukrainian-pilots-graduate-us-f-16-training/

End of the year, apparently. They can do the flyover at DJT's inauguration before they head east.

Good time to test a glide bomb, perhaps?

"We are using the big version, tovarisch, so it won't bounce off the wig."
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cw88ewqjxd1o

Australian scientists discover ancient 'echidnapus'
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,653

nico679 said:

MJW said:

He’s got great hair and is quite handsome . He also looks like he could chop a few logs where as Sunak looks like he could barely lift a tin of beans .
    Not only he is tremendously sexy, but he can cure Scrofula by his touch as well.
    True story: I once had scrofula in the shape of Lembit Opik’s face on my left testicle

• Options

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

It's called democracy.

Very sensible of him.

It would destroy that.
    The rather breathless praise of SKS from some quarters is an interesting one. From a purely political game, he has played a very good one (though has undeniably benefitted from the Tories imploding). I do think he gets a bit more praise than is perhaps merited: but I do think some of this comes from the fact that to many of us he is the alternative to what we see as a very bad, clapped out, tired and desperate government - so of course he comes out well in that comparison.

It will be very interesting to see how quickly that perception shifts after the GE.
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

It's called democracy.

Very sensible of him.

It would destroy that.
    I’m looking forward to seeing criticisms that are based on reality rather than make believe. Which is why I find all the current SKS / Labour will do ABC things so funny because until we see Labour’s manifesto we don’t have a clue what will be done and what will be a priority…

And I suspect the first 6 months I’ll be firefighting the forthcoming disasters such as university finance, immigration ….
    We probably won't know even then.

As far as we know the man is an empty vessel, except what policies he has announced so far are shit so all we have to go is his character, temperament and past and that tells me he's a typical North London Lefty. It also tells me he's not particularly trustworthy, and most of who and what he finds inconvenient he junks within weeks. I really don't like how he's treated Rosie Duffield. I find the man utterly disingenuous.

I expect him to overtax the private sector to expand the public, at little benefit to output, follow as open a policy on immigration as he can, take a scythe to the constitution, do whatever he can to reverse Brexit, promote Wokery and increase borrowing.

Of course, some people will quite like all that.

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,154
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

Look at the top comment. I think Dura_Ace lives in Chadlington.
    "Chaddington" sadly, not Chadlington.

Jeremy Clarkson and David Cameron live in Chadlington, give or take a couple of miles (Clarkson in a farm on the outskirts, Cameron in the neighbouring hamlet of Dean).
  • Options
    edited May 27
    Can anyone beat that? Has anyone else had an unusual skin condition with a strange name that formed a simulacrum of the face of a barely remembered political figure on a particularly intimate part of their anatomy?
  • Options
    Leon said:

Can anyone beat that? Has anyone else had an unusual skin condition with a strange name that formed a simulacrum of the face of a barely remembered political figure on a particularly intimate part of their anatomy?

I preferred the holiday pics
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

There are various recent reports.
    The handful of new pilots trained here are starting on fast jets in France.
    https://english.nv.ua/nation/10-young-pilots-undergo-training-in-france-to-master-f-16-50413056.html

Presumably a training capability more independent of the US will develop over time.
    Part and parcel of the increase in European defence spending.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Just a reminder, Leon.

Your photo quota today is zero :wink:
  • Options
    MattW said:

spudgfsh said:

Heathener said:

3 x Labour
    2 x Conservative
    2 x LibDem

* Tory
    * reform
    * Lib Dem (TBC)

Alan Graves (Reform Derby) was UKIP so I think they are Reform but just using a different name for the ballot. I don't know much about the independents as they're not my area.

The betting question is how much of the labour majority was personal vote for Margaret Beckett and how much was block labour voting. it should be an east hold for Labour unless
    * WPGB takes votes of Labour due to the Gaza position (didn't have locals this year so we don't know if it will be an issue)
    * Some of Baggy Shanker's past comes back to haunt him. I'd say specifics but don't want to be done for libel (even though if it's true it can't be libel).
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

One way and another the two Koreas are turning into major arms suppliers. What happens if they both run out of customers?
    S Korea isn't going to run out of Middle East or European customers for the rest of this decade, whatever happens in Ukraine.
    And in any even they are even larger non military exporters.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,209
    Leon said:

nico679 said:

MJW said:

He’s got great hair and is quite handsome . He also looks like he could chop a few logs where as Sunak looks like he could barely lift a tin of beans .
    Not only he is tremendously sexy, but he can cure Scrofula by his touch as well.
    True story: I once had scrofula in the shape of Lembit Opik’s face on my left testicle

Sounds like your usual dodgy bollocks to me.
  • Options
    edited May 27
    MattW said:

spudgfsh said:

Heathener said:

3 x Labour
    2 x Conservative
    2 x LibDem

* Tory
    * reform
    * Lib Dem (TBC)

Explication:

La Beckett was *not* one of the expenses puritans. There's some seriously astonishing stuff claimed there as essential to do the job in Westminster - starting with £13k in 2002 money for things like paving a drive and replacing part of the roof on the constituency house.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/mps-expenses/5588020/Margaret-Beckett-claimed-three-more-times-for-hanging-baskets-on-MPs-expenses.html
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,422

eek said:

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

It's called democracy.

Very sensible of him.

It would destroy that.

We probably won't know even then.

As far as we know the man is an empty vessel, except what policies he has announced so far are shit so all we have to go is his character, temperament and past and that tells me he's a typical North London Lefty. It also tells me he's not particularly trustworthy, and most of who and what he finds inconvenient he junks within weeks. I really don't like how he's treated Rosie Duffield. I find the man utterly disingenuous.

I expect him to overtax the private sector to expand the public, at little benefit to output, follow as open a policy on immigration as he can, take a scythe to the constitution, do whatever he can to reverse Brexit, promote Wokery and increase borrowing.

Of course, some people will quite like all that.

Sounds good to me! Apart from taking a scythe to the constitution, although bringing back the FTPA and scrapping photo ID might be good. I doubt very much if he’ll bring in Electoral Reform, but that would be good, too!
  • Options

But in Holborn & St Pancras, the Workers Party is supporting the independent Corbynite, Andrew Feinstein. That makes more sense, but it still shows the party’s weakness that Feinstein would rather run as an independent than as the official Workers Party candidate.
    That's a feature not a bug of the far left though. They don't actually agree on an awful lot beyond dislike of mainstream Labour and (these days) Israel.

Corbynism was rare in that it took more or less all in - and even then Galloway was too toxic when running as Labour - as buried hatchets for a shot at the big time.

Which proved a strength - as for once the far left, ultra-progressive types had a rallying point even if in practice had completely incompatible views - and a weakness as it was always quite easy to point to the foul cranks Jeremy and others had embraced over the years as part of 'no enemies on the left'.

It's he basic problem the far left has. To get to a certain point it has to embrace some really terrible people and cranks. That then come back to haunt it when it tries to go mainstream.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 59,417

Frank Luntz
    @FrankLuntz
    ·
    18h
    Donald Trump’s campaign raised more money ($76 million) than Joe Biden’s last month.

https://x.com/FrankLuntz
  • Options
    MattW said:

Leon said:

Just a reminder, Leon.

A cousin of mine who worked at Halford’s suffered a sporadic but sharp case of vitiligo where the unmistakeable image of Donald Dewer making a speech would appear on his buttocks, but only during the winter
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,127

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

It's called democracy.

Very sensible of him.

It would destroy that.
    The rather breathless praise of SKS from some quarters is an interesting one. From a purely political game, he has played a very good one (though has undeniably benefitted from the Tories imploding). I do think he gets a bit more praise than is perhaps merited: but I do think some of this comes from the fact that to many of us he is the alternative to what we see as a very bad, clapped out, tired and desperate government - so of course he comes out well in that comparison.

It will be very interesting to see how quickly that perception shifts after the GE.
    Who praises Starmer breathlessly? I am not picking up on this. Even positive comments about Starmer tend to heavy qualification: "doesn't offer any hope", "underestimated", "better than Sunak" etc
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

It's called democracy.

Very sensible of him.

It would destroy that.
    What projections ?
    I'm forecasting nothing for the next Labour government. It could be anything from a moderate success to a disaster.

The only thing I'm reasonably certain of is that the Tories are done. And are unlikely to improve much in opposition for the foreseeable future.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 4,377

kyf_100 said:

Heathener said:

3 x Labour
    2 x Conservative
    2 x LibDem

I do find it amusing when people who voted for Brexit despair about where the Cameroon Tory Party went and the fact it's been displaced by a bunch of cranks. What did you honestly expect to happen?
    For starters, Cameron could have stayed on rather than resign immediately.

A centrist party might have said - well, the vote was 52/48, leaving the country deeply divided, so a compromise such as remaining inside the single market or customs union might have been sought.

An even more interesting question might be - why did Labour go along with the ratification of the Lisbon Treaty without a referendum? And why did Ireland make its citizens vote twice until they got the right answer?

I'm a democrat, and a liberal - although not a Liberal Democrat, har har. The UK post 2016 hasn't matched my values, but neither did the EU (or Labour) before it.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

It's called democracy.

Very sensible of him.

It would destroy that.

Who praises Starmer breathlessly? I am not picking up on this. Even positive comments about Starmer tend to heavy qualification: "doesn't offer any hope", "underestimated", "better than Sunak" etc
    'Sexy' Sir Keir has appeared from nowhere this morning and has a rather breathless quality.
  • Options
    megasaurmegasaur Posts: 586
    Leon said:

A rogue NHS surgeon laser-etched a miniature caricature of Liz truss on one of my kidneys. Should have gone with Nuffield.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

It's called democracy.

Very sensible of him.

It would destroy that.

I have seen plenty of it: here, and in some media quarters. I don’t deny some people’s opinions are more nuanced (including my own) - that is exactly why I said it comes from some quarters only.
  • Options
    spudgfsh said:

MattW said:

spudgfsh said:

Heathener said:

3 x Labour
    2 x Conservative
    2 x LibDem

* Tory
    * reform
    * Lib Dem (TBC)

Alan Graves (Reform Derby) was UKIP so I think they are Reform but just using a different name for the ballot. I don't know much about the independents as they're not my area.

The betting question is how much of the labour majority was personal vote for Margaret Beckett and how much was block labour voting. it should be an east hold for Labour unless
    * WPGB takes votes of Labour due to the Gaza position (didn't have locals this year so we don't know if it will be an issue)
    * Some of Baggy Shanker's past comes back to haunt him. I'd say specifics but don't want to be done for libel (even though if it's true it can't be libel).
    Reading in detail I see that Alan Graves is Mayor of Derby.

Wow. That means the Tories voted for him.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MattW said:

Leon said:

Just a reminder, Leon.

A cousin of mine who worked at Halford’s suffered a sporadic but sharp case of vitiligo where the unmistakeable image of Donald Dewer making a speech would appear on his buttocks, but only during the winter
    A certain part of my anatomy resembles Anas Sarwar, nominative determinism in action!
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,284
    Loose women poll

Should we bring back National Service

Yes 30%

No 70%
  • Options
    MattW said:

spudgfsh said:

MattW said:

spudgfsh said:

Heathener said:

3 x Labour
    2 x Conservative
    2 x LibDem

* Tory
    * reform
    * Lib Dem (TBC)

Reading in detail I see that Alan Graves is Mayor of Derby.

Wow. That means the Tories voted for him.
    The local labour group weren't happy. (https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/derby-news/who-new-mayor-derby-walkout-8467271)
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 33,209
    Sunak on Starmer: We need action, not waffle

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-politics-69063295

That's the trouble with PM Starmer - he's done nothing. (Apart from close a few private schools apparently.)
  • Options
    Ken Burns not mincing his words. Unfortunately I fear that the folk addicted to opioid Trump won't be listening.

https://x.com/jason_kint/status/1794573782130344300
  • Options

FF43 said:

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

It's called democracy.

Very sensible of him.

It would destroy that.

'Sexy' Sir Keir has appeared from nowhere this morning and has a rather breathless quality.
    You can think someone sexy without believing they’re a good politician or agreeing with their policies. I think Steve Baker is a hunk and Nadine Dorries a hottie, but I strongly disagree with their politics.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Eabhal said:

It's called democracy.

Very sensible of him.

It would destroy that.
    What projections ?
    I'm forecasting nothing for the next Labour government. It could be anything from a moderate success to a disaster.

The only thing I'm reasonably certain of is that the Tories are done. And are unlikely to improve much in opposition for the foreseeable future.
    Maybe we'll surprise you.
This discussion has been closed.