Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Lib Dems could win a seat from 4th – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,446
    Leon said:

We were talking yesterday about the far right radicalisation of young white Euro-Americans

Some more evidence, perhaps. ALLEGEDLY this xenophobic song has become a cult hit amongst young white Germans, see here:

https://x.com/maisumcarneiro/status/1793967533818773632

How widespread is this? Dunno. But it is certainly surprising to see apparently affluent white Germans openly doing Hitler moustache-and-salute moves while dancing

Young people are increasingly distant from WW2. Growing up, the war was an ever present reference point in my life, as it had shaped my grandparents' lives, and hung over my parents'. For my kids it's ancient history, like the Boer war was for me. As memories of the war fade I think a lot of the taboos around the far right are fading with them. Perhaps we have to relearn the lessons of where this kind of politics leads.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 21,274
    Headline of the day: "Forbes cuddles chicken"

The BBC have photographic evidence of this event.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 24,425
    edited May 24
    ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Another Tory flees the battlefield. Greg Clark standing down. Just how many disgusteds are there in his seat?

Thats about 75 of them now and oddly they wont let David Frost stand.
    Well nobody has an absolute right to stand for a political party. He can pick any seat he likes and stand as an independent and see what happens.
    Of course, but the rate they are losing MPs and not replacing them with anyone with experience looks like bad party management.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 34,547

ToryJim said:

Another Tory flees the battlefield. Greg Clark standing down. Just how many disgusteds are there in his seat?

Forsty the NoMan is free to stand as soon as he resigns from the gravy train HoL, which he hasn't done...
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Ah yes, the man who said leaving the Single Market would be a disaster and then negotiated a deal which he now thinks is rubbish.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 26,138
    edited May 24

Interesting.

Jonny Diamond on WATO having a good old go at Starmer. Jonny is bigging up Corbyn. He's also trying to get Sharon Graham to back Corbyn, and she's just cut Corbyn adrift. Jonny seemed disappointed.

BBC News seems to be generating rather than reporting news.

Well since we are all assuming its a nailed on result, testing the fissures in Labour is about the only fun to be had.
    I suspect you have a point, and even some who are more sympathetic to Starmer than Sunak are nonetheless desperate to level the playing field in the interests of making them and their jobs more relevant.

I still remember 1992, and I still believe Sunak might win a majority.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,629

Leon said:

We were talking yesterday about the far right radicalisation of young white Euro-Americans

Some more evidence, perhaps. ALLEGEDLY this xenophobic song has become a cult hit amongst young white Germans, see here:

How widespread is this? Dunno. But it is certainly surprising to see apparently affluent white Germans openly doing Hitler moustache-and-salute moves while dancing

Young people are increasingly distant from WW2. Growing up, the war was an ever present reference point in my life, as it had shaped my grandparents' lives, and hung over my parents'. For my kids it's ancient history, like the Boer war was for me. As memories of the war fade I think a lot of the taboos around the far right are fading with them. Perhaps we have to relearn the lessons of where this kind of politics leads.
    Also, how about reducing the insane levels of immigration? Young people are noticing

I'd quite like to avoid the point where these views become widespread
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 28,767

Andy_JS said:

ToryJim said:

Will Boris be tempted?
    Its probably about the only chance they've got.
    Only chance to hold Disgusted Of?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 64,607
    3 Brits in the top 4 in first practice, Monaco.
  • Options

Interesting.

Jonny Diamond on WATO having a good old go at Starmer. Jonny is bigging up Corbyn. He's also trying to get Sharon Graham to back Corbyn, and she's just cut Corbyn adrift. Jonny seemed disappointed.

BBC News seems to be generating rather than reporting news.

Well since we are all assuming its a nailed on result, testing the fissures in Labour is about the only fun to be had.
    I suspect you have a point, and even some who sre more sympathetic to Starmer than Sunak are nonetheless desperate to level the playing field in the interests of making them and their jobs more relevant.

I still remember 1992, and I still believe Sunak might win a majority.
    Cant see it myself, hes all about containing the damage.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,796

Regarding yesterdays IDF library burning photo. Seems there will be an investigation.

Translation from Israeli newspaper:

"A photo of an IDF soldier inside Al-Aqsa University in Gaza City, with books burning behind him, was published in recent hours on networks around the world and caused a stir. Originally, we note, the photo was published without blurring the soldier's face - and it seems that it was originally distributed by the soldiers. A similar case, of burning a Koran book, also happened yesterday in Rafah.

The IDF stated that "this is a serious incident that is not consistent with the values ​​of the IDF and its orders. For the incident, an investigation was opened by the investigating military police, at the end of which the findings will be forwarded to the military attorney's office for examination"

https://www.ynet.co.il/news/article/hjvhngcmc

Don't worry I won't be posting on Gaza again.

(Snip)

Three more Israeli hostages' bodies found in Gaza

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cjrr9wqjnveo
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,286

Regarding yesterdays IDF library burning photo. Seems there will be an investigation.

"A photo of an IDF soldier inside Al-Aqsa University in Gaza City, with books burning behind him, was published in recent hours on networks around the world and caused a stir. Originally, we note, the photo was published without blurring the soldier's face - and it seems that it was originally distributed by the soldiers. A similar case, of burning a Koran book, also happened yesterday in Rafah.

The IDF stated that "this is a serious incident that is not consistent with the values ​​of the IDF and its orders. For the incident, an investigation was opened by the investigating military police, at the end of which the findings will be forwarded to the military attorney's office for examination"

verified IDF book burning

The IDF seems to have a remarkable amount of activity by its' forces that doesn't "reflect it's values".
  • Options
    edited May 24

Leon said:

Anyone can read about WW2. This "distant in time" thing doesn't wash for me.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,460
    Scott_xP said:

@christopherhope
    ** Exclusive **
    Boris Johnson ally David Frost has been banned from standing as Tory candidate in the general election, I understand.
    Lord Frost was told yesterday that he cannot apply for any of the 93 vacant seats where the party is yet to nominate a candidate for the July 4 general election, according to his friends.
    Frost is a low tax Tory who was one of the architects of former Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Brexit deal.
    He was described as "the great Frost" by Johnson for his work on the deal.

This has had me scratching my head for ages. If he wanted to be an MP, why did he take a life peerage. He really is thick as mince.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Ah yes, the man who said leaving the Single Market would be a disaster and then negotiated a deal which he now thinks is rubbish.
    Maybe he should join Labour, the party headed by the bloke who supported Jezza and then said he didnt agree with anything he previously campaigned on,
  • Options
    bondegezoubondegezou Posts: 8,804
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Anyone can read about ancient Rome too. Just because you can read about it, doesn't stop it feeling distant in time.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,563
    While we know a GE precipitates a lot of MPs standing down voluntarily, I'd be interested in seeing some numbers on the rate of this prior to a change in government. IIRC 2010 saw a lot, as did 97. There does seem to be more than usual this time.

Of course, correlation/causation applies but still.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

ToryJim said:

Forsty the NoMan is free to stand as soon as he resigns from the gravy train HoL, which he hasn't done...
    Scott well done !

Thats two of your own tweets in a day. Keep them coming.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 16,127
    ToryJim said:

Looks like Craig Mackinley is to stand down. It was probably inevitable when you return to work after a life threatening illness and the first thing your boss does is tell you you’re going to have to reapply for your job.

I think a kindness. Mackinnley would certainly lose his seat, although they can't admit it. This way it removes any obligation on him for a gruelling campaign for no purpose, when he should be rehabilitating.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,075

Andy_JS said:

ToryJim said:

Will Boris be tempted?
    Yes, Boris should Bruce Ismay himself onto a seat. Last second. Then the remaining weeks of the campaign can be all about HIM which is only fitting for the world king and people's PM.
    Missed you earlier this morning as Mrs B dragged me out shopping.

Though we often disagree can I wish you the best of luck in the coming campaign and hope you get elected.
    Very kind of you.

Had no idea you believed in miracles!
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 19,297
    Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

More tears at the PO inquiry.

Oh no, how awful this whole process must be for Mrs Vennells…

F**k off you bitch, you’re looking at serious prison time.
    Hold on, as we learnt from Rogerdamus the other day, she is the real victim here.

Show some sympathy.
    Funnily enough I've just received a reply from Ch4 News. As you'll remember my complaint was that Alex Thompson had gone too far by lifting her umbrella as she was leaving the tribuneral and despite her being clearly upset showed no compassion whatsoever. So for your interest.........

"Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding Channel 4 News.

In response to your comments regarding the interview by Alex Thompson, Channel 4 news have responded with the following: We have requested interviews with all the key Post Office Executives to ask questions about their knowledge of the scandal that unfolded. All the executives have been elusive or refused to be held to account publicly. Channel 4 News has been at the forefront of revealing the high level knowledge of miscarriages of justice. It is a matter of the highest public interest to hear from Post Office executives as to why sub postmasters were still being sent to prison when there was senior management knowledge that the Horizon system had computer bugs and there may have been miscarriages of justice. This remains a matter of the highest public interest.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate all feedback from our viewers; complimentary or otherwise. "
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,400

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Well nobody has an absolute right to stand for a political party. He can pick any seat he likes and stand as an independent and see what happens.
    Of course, but the rate they are losing MPs and not replacing them with anyone with experience looks like bad party management.
    Agai worth repeating what I mentioned yesterday. In 2010 Labour had 100 MPs stand down out of 349 at the point the election was called. So 29%ish

The Tories currently look to be having around 80 odd stand down out of 346 - so around 23%. This is not unusual churn after so long in power.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 12,172

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Anyone can read about ancient Rome too. Just because you can read about it, doesn't stop it feeling distant in time.
    Fun fact: George III was born closer to the time that the Roman Empire existed, than to today.
  • Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

Agai worth repeating what I mentioned yesterday. In 2010 Labour had 100 MPs stand down out of 349 at the point the election was called. So 29%ish

The Tories currently look to be having around 80 odd stand down out of 346 - so around 23%. This is not unusual churn after so long in power.
    Id go with that and suspect there will be more to come. Rats and sinking ships comes to mind.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Anyone can read about anything. Do the Punic Wars loom large in the public consciousness?
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 49,629
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

No, these things do fade. Young Germans - under 30 - have zero guilt about the war. I’ve noticed it (and I don’t blame them)

It’s a human universal. At some point even the greatest atrocity becomes a quaint or eye raising passage in history books. Some fade away very quickly - the Armenian genocide. Some last much longer like WW2, Nazism and the Holocaust - but they too are now losing emotional force, even in
    Germany itself

I read a tweet the other day about young people knowing F all about Anne Frank, for instance
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,752
    Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

1945 was 79 years ago.
  • Options
    Will the government help deliver Casement Park? Here’s some of what I put to the PM
    @RishiSunak
    who insisted there will be “significant contribution” from the government… but no clarity on how much or crucially, when

https://x.com/BBCJayneMcC/status/1793968165908799590

The MayBot returns?
  • Options

ToryJim said:

Maybe he should join Labour, the party headed by the bloke who supported Jezza and then said he didnt agree with anything he previously campaigned on,
    Tony Blair supported Michael Foot!
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

ToryJim said:

Will Boris be tempted?
    Yes, Boris should Bruce Ismay himself onto a seat. Last second. Then the remaining weeks of the campaign can be all about HIM which is only fitting for the world king and people's PM.
    Missed you earlier this morning as Mrs B dragged me out shopping.

Though we often disagree can I wish you the best of luck in the coming campaign and hope you get elected.
    Very kind of you.

Had no idea you believed in miracles!
    Well if nothing else RP it keeps us in touch with politics. People like myself can play armchair generals but you have at least got off your butt and gone full in. That merits a degree of respect.

• Options

ToryJim said:

Tony Blair supported Michael Foot!
    Just goes to show you cant trust politicians
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,759

verified IDF book burning

Disappointing, got the impression from several posters and tweeters that this pic was unlikely to be real.

Is this the most moral army in the world version of this meme?

• Options

ToryJim said:

ToryJim said:

@EmporersNewC

Apparently 'making our own laws' isn't as an appealing proposition to some sitting MPs as they thought it would be.
  • Options
    "On Friday, Dame Victoria Sharp, sitting with Lord Justice Holroyde, said they had refused the appeal request.

The reason for the decision was not made public."

https://news.sky.com/story/lucy-letby-denied-permission-to-appeal-against-convictions-for-murdering-seven-babies-13141830
  • Options
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

No, these things do fade. Young Germans - under 30 - have zero guilt about the war. I’ve noticed it (and I don’t blame them)

It’s a human universal. At some point even the greatest atrocity becomes a quaint or eye raising passage in history books. Some fade away very quickly - the Armenian genocide. Some last much longer like WW2, Nazism and the Holocaust - but they too are now losing emotional force, even in
    Germany itself

I read a tweet the other day about young people knowing F all about Anne Frank, for instance
    Yes theyve given up on war guilt. Ive had them crack Auschwitz jokes and not worry in the slightest.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 5,014
    edited May 24
    Ghedebrav said:

While we know a GE precipitates a lot of MPs standing down voluntarily, I'd be interested in seeing some numbers on the rate of this prior to a change in government. IIRC 2010 saw a lot, as did 97. There does seem to be more than usual this time.

Of course, correlation/causation applies but
    still.

For how long will we be getting these
    announcements?

Candidate papers need to be in by Friday 7th
    June, so not sure how long Labour / Conservatives have given their MPs to announce (Labour do also have this to some extent, I note Holly Lynch standing down in Halifax, I'm sure a trickle of announcements in other places).

For the Green party, I note the deadline for standing aside is 5th July, at least for Sian Berry.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,784
    Andy_JS said:

theakes said:

Just going back to the title of the thread, YouGov constituency polling in April said the following:
    Exmouth Cons 34, L:abour 31, Lib Dems 6 Reform 19
    Honiton: Cons 36, Labour 24, Lib Dem 16 Reform 16

Betting on Lib Dems seems a waste of time?

Was this an MRP study? Not sure it can properly account for local factors wrt LD support.
    MRP != local polling
  • Options
    edited May 24
    "Vladimir Putin ready to 'freeze' war in Ukraine with ceasefire recognising recent Russian gains, sources say

Putin reportedly views recent gains in the war as enough to sell a victory to the Russian people, saving him from making unpopular decisions like spending more money and mobilising more people."

https://news.sky.com/story/vladimir-putin-ready-to-freeze-war-in-ukraine-with-ceasefire-recognising-recent-russian-gains-sources-say-13142402
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,759
    edited May 24
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Germany itself

Yet the German government seems obsessed about causing no offence to Israel, more so than any other European government afaIcs. I can’t think that isn’t connected to Holocaust guilt.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 4,151

Scott_xP said:

@christopherhope
    ** Exclusive **
    Boris Johnson ally David Frost has been banned from standing as Tory candidate in the general election, I understand.
    Lord Frost was told yesterday that he cannot apply for any of the 93 vacant seats where the party is yet to nominate a candidate for the July 4 general election, according to his friends.
    Frost is a low tax Tory who was one of the architects of former Prime Minister Boris Johnson's Brexit deal.
    He was described as "the great Frost" by Johnson for his work on the deal.

This has had me scratching my head for ages. If he wanted to be an MP, why did he take a life peerage. He really is thick as mince.
    50% fat mince, to be precise.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,411
    Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Germany itself

I’m probably part of the last age cohort who grew up thinking of WWII as part of a common experience, rather than as history.

To be really disturbed by the Nazis, I think you have to think yourself into the mindset of a Nazi. I could see myself as Major Trapp, hating the vile task of carrying out mass killings, but thinking it my patriotic duty.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 45,664
    edited May 24

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Germany itself

Yet the German government seems obsessed about causing no offence to Israel, more so than any other European government afaIcs. I can’t think that isn’t connected to Holocaust guilt.
    Engrained systemic policy.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,796
    Andy_JS said:

"Vladimir Putin ready to 'freeze' war in Ukraine with ceasefire recognising recent Russian gains, sources say

Putin reportedly views recent gains in the war as enough to sell a victory to the Russian people, saving him from making unpopular decisions like spending more money and mobilising more people."

https://news.sky.com/story/vladimir-putin-ready-to-freeze-war-in-ukraine-with-ceasefire-recognising-recent-russian-gains-sources-say-13142402

Until he's ready to unfreeze it. why should we trust him?

The thing is, they've made very minor 'gains' over the recent months at terrible cost. It would have been easier for him to 'propose' this at the beginning of the year.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 4,125
    Andy_JS said:

Has he got some secret polling that says Biden is going to win?

He must be worried about the US kit finally arriving.
  • Options
    @PickardJE
    to sum up:

- Figen Murray, the mother of Manchester Arena bombing victim Martyn Hett, walked 200 miles to London to meet Rishi Sunak in Downing St

- the prime minister promised her he would introduce Martyn’s Law to Parliament before summer recess

(but could not guarantee the legislation would be passed before the next election)

- he already knew he was about to a general election, meaning this was impossible

- she now says: “We shook hands and he looked me straight me in the eyes...he could have maybe handled it slightly differently. I feel a bit misled rather than lied to”

This story is in the Telegraph, which prompts this question

@rafaelbehr

I had wondered how ultrapartisan Tory press would play campaign that their side likely to lose. Wild Starmer-bashing anyway taken as read, but I maybe underpriced gleeful amplification of hapless Sunak, he's-a-loser narrative, make him fall guy for the whole legacy.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,607
    edited May 24
    Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Fun fact: George III was born closer to the time that the Roman Empire existed, than to today.
    You need to define your terms.

The Classical Empire fell in the West in AD 476 when Romulus Agustulus was overthrown by Odacer. The Byzantine Empire, which spoke Greek, not Latin and was a radical change from Classical Rome, even though it claimed continuity, fell with the fall of Constantinople in 1453. Meanwhile the Holy Roman Empire, which claimed descent from the Western Empire, despite being founded in AD 800 by Frankish barbarians, did not formally dissolve until 1806. So George III, who lived from 1738 until 1820, that is 204 years from our own time, either lived 1262 years from the fall of the Western Empire, or he lived 286 years after the fall of Constantinople (so still lived closer to our own time), or he was actually contemporary with the Holy Roman Empire.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,865
    I saw this. Quite funny. It may well already have been posted of course.

That’s my one image for the day.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 25,432
    Roger said:

Taz said:

Sandpit said:

Andy_JS said:

More tears at the PO inquiry.

Oh no, how awful this whole process must be for Mrs Vennells…

F**k off you bitch, you’re looking at serious prison time.
    Hold on, as we learnt from Rogerdamus the other day, she is the real victim here.

Show some sympathy.
    Funnily enough I've just received a reply from Ch4 News. As you'll remember my complaint was that Alex Thompson had gone too far by lifting her umbrella as she was leaving the tribuneral and despite her being clearly upset showed no compassion whatsoever. So for your interest.........

"Thank you for contacting Channel 4 Viewer Enquiries regarding Channel 4 News.

In response to your comments regarding the interview by Alex Thompson, Channel 4 news have responded with the following: We have requested interviews with all the key Post Office Executives to ask questions about their knowledge of the scandal that unfolded. All the executives have been elusive or refused to be held to account publicly. Channel 4 News has been at the forefront of revealing the high level knowledge of miscarriages of justice. It is a matter of the highest public interest to hear from Post Office executives as to why sub postmasters were still being sent to prison when there was senior management knowledge that the Horizon system had computer bugs and there may have been miscarriages of justice. This remains a matter of the highest public interest.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact us. We appreciate all feedback from our viewers; complimentary or otherwise. "
    There should be some sort of inquiry imo.
  • Options
    TimS said:

It was posted earlier, so sadly you have wasted your image
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 10,865
    Scott_xP said:

TimS said:

It was posted earlier, so sadly you have wasted your image
    Luckily I’m not travelling today with a dog or on a journalistic assignment.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

The Classical Empire fell in the West in AD 476 when Romulus Agustulus was overthrown by Odacer. The Byzantine Empire, which spoke Greek, not Latin and was a radical change from Classical Rome, even though it claimed continuity, fell with the fall of Constantinople in 1453. Meanwhile the Holy Roman Empire, which claimed descent from the Western Empire, despite being founded in AD 800 by Frankish barbarians, did not formally dissolve until 1806. So George III, who lived from 1738 until 1820, that is 204 years from our own time, either lived 1262 years from the fall of the Western Empire, or he lived 286 years after the fall of Constantinople (so still lived closer to our own time), or he was actually contemporary with the Holy Roman Empire.
    I think my definition is implicitly clear to anyone, like you, who knows the history: I'm regarding the fall of Constantinople as the end point. I recognise other schools of thought exist and I don't mind if people disagree. The purpose was only to bring the idea of Rome a little closer to the present than it seems at first glance. The idea that the Roman Empire (in my terms) lasted longer than England has existed by hundreds of years is pretty cool.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Until he's ready to unfreeze it. why should we trust him?

The thing is, they've made very minor 'gains' over the recent months at terrible cost. It would have been easier for him to 'propose' this at the beginning of the year.
    More to the point, a 'freeze' with the Russian army in artillery range of Ukraine's second largest city is going to be less stable than the 'freeze' in the Donbas, where regular fighting continued for over half a decade before the current full scale invasion in 2022.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,860
    GIN1138 said:

Claudia Webbe running as an indy in Leicester East

Is she the MP who threatened an acid attack against her love rival?
    Careful - on appeal the judge found that Webbe had not "made a threat to throw acid over" the alleged victim.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,746
    Scott_xP said:

@PickardJE
    to sum up:

- Figen Murray, the mother of Manchester Arena bombing victim Martyn Hett, walked 200 miles to London to meet Rishi Sunak in Downing St

- the prime minister promised her he would introduce Martyn’s Law to Parliament before summer recess

(but could not guarantee the legislation would be passed before the next election)

- he already knew he was about to a general election, meaning this was impossible

- she now says: “We shook hands and he looked me straight me in the eyes...he could have maybe handled it slightly differently. I feel a bit misled rather than lied to”

This story is in the Telegraph, which prompts this question

@rafaelbehr

I had wondered how ultrapartisan Tory press would play campaign that their side likely to lose. Wild Starmer-bashing anyway taken as read, but I maybe underpriced gleeful amplification of hapless Sunak, he's-a-loser narrative, make him fall guy for the whole legacy.

Interesting. There is already some evidence from that Conhome article that this kind of thinking is already taking root.

The question is whether they frame Sunak as too right wing or too left wing. If the former, they have a chance in 2029.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Or it's just reculer pour mieux sauter.
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Oh, and one minor point, I did say "was born", not "lived". I was maximising the effect by choosing someone famous who was born just before the half way point.
  • Options
    edited May 24
    "Diane Abbott MP
    @HackneyAbbott

Just heard @Keir_Starmer on @BBCr4today claiming that the decision about whether to let @HackneyAbbott back into @UKLabour has “nothing to with him” It has EVERYTHING to do with him"

https://x.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1793931847191457818
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Also, how about reducing the insane levels of immigration? Young people are noticing

It might help or it might not. Young people are generally more positive on immigration than older people, and more tolerant in areas of high immigration than in areas of low immigration. I'm not convinced that London is swarming with young white men who are violently opposed to multiculturalism - they all speak with a Jamaican accent for a start. But my kids aren't white so I'm not an expert on young white people and their cultural practices.
  • Options
    edited May 24
    Andy_JS said:

The Russians are brutal realists and use words accordingly: not as a mean to communicate information, but as tools to achieve a goal. If Putin says he wants peace, that doesn't mean he wants peace, it means he wants you to behave as if he does.

A specific example of this were treaty negotiations about protecting food ships early in the 2022-present war. It was discussed and signed, the books were bound and a drinks reception was held. And the next day the Russians broke it and carried on as before.

He'll stop fighting when he's stopped. Until then it's at best a pause.

[Edit. It's almost as if somebody wrote an article about why he won't stop: https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/05/02/why-ukraine-was-particularly-vulnerable/ ]
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Or it's just reculer pour mieux sauter.
    He can reculer back to the Urals and sauter into the Caspian Sea if he likes
  • Options
    This is sad.

"The Gherkin transformed London’s skyline – but now is set to disappear from view
    It started a building boom in the heart of the City – but is now increasingly being crowded out"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/05/24/gherkin-london-skyline-disappearing-view-architecture-city/
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,063
    edited May 24

Leon said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Germany itself

They finally managed to get over one taboo from the last war - that of being seen as enemies of Russia. Perhaps they'll eventually realise that criticism of Israel also doesn't have to remain a taboo subject.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Diane Abbott MP
    @HackneyAbbott

Just heard @Keir_Starmer on @BBCr4today claiming that the decision about whether to let @HackneyAbbott back into @UKLabour has “nothing to with him” It has EVERYTHING to do with him"

She needs to go it alone Starmer will just knife her.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

The Russians are brutal realists and use words accordingly: not as a mean to communicate information, but as tools to achieve a goal. If Putin says he wants peace, that doesn't mean he wants peace, it means he wants you to behave as if he does.

A specific example of this were treaty negotiations about protecting food ships early in the 2022-present war. It was discussed and signed, the books were bound and a drinks reception was held. And the next day the Russians broke it and carried on as before.

He'll stop fighting when he's stopped. Until then it's at best a pause.

[Edit. It's almost as if somebody wrote an article about why he won't stop: https://www1.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2022/05/02/why-ukraine-was-particularly-vulnerable/ ]
    And, of course, that is how Trump operates too. Words are just something he uses to get you to do what he wants.
  • Options
    Richi's press team hate him, don't they...

@skydavidblevins

In a bid to move on from the drenching in Downing Street, the PM's comms team brings him to the site where they built Titanic. Mmm...

@JamesMcCarthy97

On a visit to the Titanic Quarter today, I asked the Prime Minister if he is captaining a sinking ship going into this election

@BelfastLive
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 49,214
    edited May 24

Leon said:

Surely lesson number one is not to recreate the conditions of the Weimar republic.
  • Options
    sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 181
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

boulay said:

algarkirk said:

Scott_xP said:

@benrileysmith

Keir Starmer twists the knife on Rishi Sunak’s rain-sodden election speech.

“The image of a man who says ‘I’m the only one with a plan’ standing in the rain without an umbrella is, to put it politely, pretty farcical.”

I think he’s nailed it though, hasn’t he?
    You had to feel sorry for him. Well, I did, anyway.

But where are his Spads? Surely one of them would have thought to provide an umbrella, and do something about that noxious narcissist playing music to drown out the PM.
    Is there much worse for a PM than people starting to feel sorry for them?
    Confession time, None. I've always quite liked him, and have occasionally stuck up for him here, although I can he doesn't seem to be very good at politics, which is a bit of a handicap if you are in his position.
    He's the Tory's Ed Miliband. Decent, impossible to hate, very good in the right job, leaden footed, wooden in delivery, slightly anxious to please, unspontaneous, nowhere close to being PM material, when watching him perform always slightly anxious that your toes will curl - as all ten toes did in the rain on Wednesday.
    I very genuinely liked the Rishi Sunak I chatted to on one of CalMac's few functional ferries in 2020. Have said so repeatedly. He seemed like a genuine guy planted in reality.

Whatever happened to him and why did they replace him with the current model?
    I guess that when you become CofTE and PM you are surrounded by a huge team of SPADS, civil servants, representations from CCHQ all telling you “let us take care of x and y as you have lots of other things to do and you need to present a face to the public of being in charge”.

This then stops you actually being you as you have been assured by all and sundry that you need to behave a certain way but also your actual abilities are not being used because all the competing pillars are pushing or blocking because they want different results.

You have to be a certain character to rise above that and it probably requires a spell as opposition leader or a long period in politics to get there which Sunak didn’t have. He was likely ten years and two crises early to use any ability he has.
    Far too many twenty and thirty somethings with no experience outside politics and media being listened to by PMs these days ahead of their cabinet colleagues, not to mention their predecessors who are viewed as dinosaurs rather than wise counsellors.
    One of Sunak's main problems was timing. He could have been a better PM at the head of a Conservative Party that hadn't been purged by Boris.

I keep saying, Boris Johnson is the root of all this. The Conservative Party 2024 is the product of his energetic sociopathy. Nothing but vines and ivy grows there any more. He reduced the party to a sort of drunken pageantry, an elaborate chaos with a nasty streak.

Someone like Sunak could have taken over from a defeated Cameron in 2015 and in 2024 be nearing the end of his first term as PM, with a strong chance of re-election. Instead, he rides a party stampeding uncontrollably to a cliff edge.
    Covid derailed everything political in 2020, it seems to be completely forgoten. Without Covid we could be in a completely different political position.
    Boris started his shenanigans before the virus emerged from that wet market. We would have lurched from disaster to embarrassing disaster anyway. Covid changed the nature of them, that's all.
    I wouldn't say covid was forgotten. Every Tory politician I've heard since the election was announced refers to it as an explanation or excuse.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@skydavidblevins

In a bid to move on from the drenching in Downing Street, the PM's comms team brings him to the site where they built Titanic. Mmm...

@JamesMcCarthy97

On a visit to the Titanic Quarter today, I asked the Prime Minister if he is captaining a sinking ship going into this election

@BelfastLive

Going for the key marginals in... Belfast.

(I'm all for GB politicians heading over to NI but it's not exactly the most focussed campaign yet)
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@skydavidblevins

@JamesMcCarthy97

@BelfastLive

Tomorrow, Aberfan :neutral:
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Depends on your definition of Roman Empire.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

@skydavidblevins

@JamesMcCarthy97

@BelfastLive

Followed by a HS2 construction site
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

It might help or it might not. Young people are generally more positive on immigration than older people, and more tolerant in areas of high immigration than in areas of low immigration. I'm not convinced that London is swarming with young white men who are violently opposed to multiculturalism - they all speak with a Jamaican accent for a start. But my kids aren't white so I'm not an expert on young white people and their cultural practices.
    Young people are overwhelmingly the ones who pay the price for mass immigration, in a literal sense, in the form of competition for housing and suppression of wages.
  • Options

Leon said:

Surely lesson number one is not to recreate the conditions of the Weimar republic.
    Sexual deviancy?

Hyperinflation?

Capital in a pretty little spa town?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Cicero, of all people, has already been over this point in excellent detail.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Sexual deviancy?

Hyperinflation?

A strict taboo against advocating proportional representation.
  • Options
    Does Starmer really want to win 450 seats?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Sexual deviancy?

Hyperinflation?

I blame the Kitkat club.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,282
    Private Healthcare entrepreneur picked by SKS Party to stand against Jezza.

Sounds apt for the SKS Party to pick such a person.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

Sexual deviancy?

Hyperinflation?

Ah, I see you have been to Somerset :)
  • Options
    Leon said:

Meh... Chicken Licken stuff... Russian Astroturfing more like.

My view: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wveW9Tw2JKE
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 11,289
    Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Lives are long. He lived into the lifetime of Dickens, who in turn lived into the lifetime of Hardy, who was alive when HM Queen Elizabeth was born in 1926.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Scott_xP said:

@skydavidblevins

@JamesMcCarthy97

@BelfastLive

Going for the key marginals in... Belfast.

(I'm all for GB politicians heading over to NI but it's not exactly the most focussed campaign yet)
    @MatthewOToole2

We all know the old clichés about trying to get to every voter possible on the campaign trail.

Rishi Sunak could comfortably meet every single Tory voter in Northern Ireland (there were 254 at the Assembly election) in one room in a morning

Can't fault that for efficiency.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Young people are overwhelmingly the ones who pay the price for mass immigration, in a literal sense, in the form of competition for housing and suppression of wages.
    Perhaps young people are more immune to easy scapegoating exercises than you give them credit for?
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 50,079
    rcs1000 said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Finally collapsed in 1453.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Its a good question. What will he do with a large and bored cohort of MPs with nothing to do ? The HoC bar will be packed.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    sarissa said:

GIN1138 said:

Careful - on appeal the judge found that Webbe had not "made a threat to throw acid over" the alleged victim.
    Thank you. Wasn't aware there has been an appeal 👍
  • Options
    FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,063

Leon said:

Leon said:

It's quite gratifying that my own (white) lad appears to be completely colour blind with regard to his friends. Those that I've met or seen seem to cover the entire spectrum of ethnicity. And my partner's daughter's two best friends from school days are black and of mixed Turkish/Scottish heritage. They both seem genuinely baffled by racism.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 21,191
    Andy_JS said:

Why wouldn't he?
  • Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 5,278
    edited May 24
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Another issue is that, separated from the history we all grew up with, and therefore viewed in isolation with the moral disgust for both, fascists have a lot more fun than communists.

We saw a tiny bit of this in Brexit. Remain foolishly let Leave be the “Brexiteers” and linked them to boozing and parties. (Not for a second saying brexiteers are fascists - I voted Leave and don’t regret it).
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

@skydavidblevins

@JamesMcCarthy97

@BelfastLive

It’s a slippery slope.

Sorry. I’m going to hell.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Why wouldn't he?
    Because he’d LIKE 650?
  • Options
    WildernessPt2WildernessPt2 Posts: 27
    sarissa said:

GIN1138 said:

Surely a judge could not make such a bold statement. They could claim there is no evidence that a threat was made.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

@skydavidblevins

@JamesMcCarthy97

@BelfastLive

The teenage SPADS are moronic. This is a campaign headed to meltdown.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 93,627

ToryJim said:

Sounds completely correct - he's an attention seeking primadonna troubkemaker with nothing special about him, and they'll get plenty of those standing without picking him as a certain one.
  • Options
    biggles said:

Farooq said:

Scott_xP said:

@skydavidblevins

@JamesMcCarthy97

@BelfastLive

It’s a slippery slope.

Sorry. I’m going to hell.
    58 years ago and it's still too soon.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Andy_JS said:

Why wouldn't he?
    More potential rebels. Blair apparently wasn't happy about a 179 seat majority in 1997 for the same reason.
  • Options
    PJHPJH Posts: 583
    Andy_JS said:

"Diane Abbott MP
    @HackneyAbbott

Haha, I'm sure that will help smooth things out!
  • Options
    Cicero said:

Scott_xP said:

@skydavidblevins

@JamesMcCarthy97

@BelfastLive

The teenage SPADS are moronic. This is a campaign headed to meltdown.
    I am beginning to wonder if CCHQ hired Perfect Curve to run this campaign
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Diane Abbott MP
    @HackneyAbbott

SKS is a compulsive liar (as we know)
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Cicero said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

Leon said:

Oh, and one minor point, I did say "was born", not "lived". I was maximising the effect by choosing someone famous who was born just before the half way point.
    You did, I was just making the point that the Roman Empire with togas really was a long time ago. The Byzantine Empire was only Roman in name, and quite a lot of places called themselves heirs to the Romans, including the HRE and even definitively barbarian Muscovy.
This discussion has been closed.