Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The detail from YouGov’s CON 20% poll – politicalbetting.com

1234568»

Comments

• Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,622
    edited January 26
    I'd be surprised if the Israel/Gaza war has much bearing on either the USA or the UK GE, assuming the latter is autumn or winter. I'd expect the killing to have ended, or died (sic) down by the summer at the latest. People have short memories.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,014

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

US economy grows 3.3% on an annualised basis in the 4th quarter and by 2.5% in 2023 as a whole. The latest growth was driven by consumption and reflects a surge in consumer confidence: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/19/consumer-sentiment-surges-while-inflation-outlook-dips-university-of-michigan-survey-shows.html

Even Fox News reports that the economy is in a sweet spot with good growth but not so much as to reignite inflation.

I remain of the view that these economic performance figures are going to drive Biden's popularity northwards during the coming months. If we end up with a Biden Trump rematch (and I think we will) it will not be as close as it was in 2020.

My view too. Economy plus incumbency plus uncommitted minds focusing properly on Trump. He loses again and it's not that close.
    I've long thought that Biden will easily beat Trump. They could have indicted Trump eons ago for the January 6th nonsense. FFS he was telling the notrights beforehand to fight like hell on Twitter. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it suits the Democrats down to the ground to have the Court stuff running in election year and keeping January 6th omnipresent

Having Trump as the candidate helps a million other Democrats too down ticket fighting their own battles.

Matchup polls at this time are different from previous years because of Trump's name recognition. That is why he is riding high.
    The opinion polls think different.

Now, with that said, the Democrats outperformed their polling markedly in the midterms, and I expect a little bit of swingback.

But anyone expecting this to be a cakewalk for Biden is engaging in wishcasting.
    It should be fascinating, although potentially horrific too. Will Kennedy have an influence, if so who will it hurt the most? Impact of all the court cases? Will the "sane" Republicans finally make a last stand? Turnout differentials from abortion and migration in states with different demographics.
    My guess is that Kennedy will have very little impact on the election.
    He doesnt need a lot of votes to have a big impact.

He could get 10% equally from Trump and Biden and have little impact.
    If he got 4% but 3% was from Biden and 1% from Trump it could be pivotal.

And as a Trumpite Democrat with a Democratic heritage name whilst he is now harming Biden in the polling who knows what that will be if he gets more airtime at a time Trump is facing court case after court case. It could be he gets more from Trump than Biden by the time of the election.
    Maybe, but I think there is polling showing that more people saying they will vote 'Biden' in Biden vs Trump h2h polling are unhappy with their candidate than those saying they will vote 'Trump', so perhaps a bigger potential to lose Biden voters to other candidates? Depends how convinced they are that it is essential to defeat Trump maybe.
    There's an increasingly vocal element of the left that wants Biden to lose purely on foreign policy and regards Trump as the lesser of two evils.
    The Israel - Hamas conflict is definitely going to depress Biden's vote.
    Would you say that about Biden’s vote over there, but not about Labours vote over here? If you look at the UK poll wiki, Labour has a smile that looks a bit like the Tui logo, the autumn drop before the recovery coincided with the Labour resignations early in the conflict.

I’m agreeing with you. Unless the conflict, and the vote depression, unwinds during the year. It’s a positive for Biden if we already see something in current polling that could unwind.
    Angela Rayner was barracked over Gaza last night.

https://x.com/manpalestine/status/1750639533132017723
    Then it is a positive for Labour too, not just Biden, if the polls we are currently looking at can be even better for them, once the Gaza war vote depression unwinds throughout this year. The UK vote is on May 2nd, so not much time now for that post conflict unwind for Labour, but plenty of time for post conflict voter depression to unwind Biden’s side of the pond
    I have a suspicion that there’s going to be a “Palestine Party” stand in many seats in the UK general election, and might actually win one or two.
    Ah, the return of Gorgeous George?
    I thought about writing his name but decided against it. There’s been a few attempts at a “Muslim Party” in London over the years, thinking of “Respect” and the infamous Lutfur Rahman. It’s easy to imagine that, in the context of a clear Labour win, some of these might gain traction at the election.
    Question is where he would stand in the face of a big national swing to Labour. All the Labour MPs in constituencies with big Muslim populations (wisely) abstained from opposing the recent SNP amendment on IG. There’s no one who comes to my mind whom he could 1) depict as an Israeli stooge, and 2) have a chance of ousting.
    My thinking was that, if it’s going to be a landslide anyway, then a vote for the Palestine Party might see a couple of MPs who can keep the new Lab government in check on this issue.
    You mean stand as Labour, but renounce the whip shortly after and sit as independents? That I suppose would be possible.
    No, I mean the voters in certain areas deciding that Labour are obviously winning the election overall, so sending a Muslim Party MP to the Commons can only help their “community”.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,057
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

O/T but the third TV drama serial, companion to Band of Brothers and The Pacific, Masters of the Air, is released today from Apple, with the first episode free. One of the two writers worked on the earlier volumes and one of the directors is retained from the Pacific, and Spielberg and Hanks are executive directors.

Early reviews sound very positive. Any idea if it will eventually reach other platforms? Apple is one of the ones I dont subscribe too...
    Eventually, I expect so, and DVD. The first episode you can watch free to see if you want more; I think there's also a seven day free trial offer, so you can binge the whole thing without paying
    I love BoB, but have never finished the pacific. Don't quite know why.
    Thee action stuff was good in The Pacific, the human interest stuff less so, cringey and/or boring.
    James Holland and Al Murray are good on their Pod (We have ways of making you talk). One of their things is to change the narrative of the second world war. For many of us its very much:

Dunkirk - Battle of Britain - D-Day - Arnhem - VE day.

There is a lot of truth in that - a lot of fighting went on in 1945 in Western Europe, but most people know little about it. I suspect the pacific is a bit like that for many Brits, as in:

Pearl Harbour - (Midway, maybe?) - Hiroshima/Nagasaki- VJ day.
    I said this before, but a while back I watched a Youtube channel covering the entirety of World War One. I reckon the majority of Brits just think of the big western front battles; perhaps Gallipoli, or even Lawrence of Arabia. In reality the war was much more widespread and complex than that. How many of us in the UK think about the German/Russia side of the war, which was perhaps more significant given the Russian revolution?

Or the Italians and Austrians stuck up in icy mountains where you could barely dig a trench, in conditions and survival rates objectively worse than the Western Front.

Italy was the first European country to fall to fascism, and it grew from its WW1 experience.

Or the British and Empire forces in Mespot and Tanganyika, or the Japanese-UK siege of Tsingtao/Qingdao.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    Sir Keir on tv today saying there’s a profile of young man that is quite likely to be using a knife, and they should get support before they use them

What would that profile look like I wonder

https://x.com/keir_starmer/status/1750870229540835659?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,187

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

The CPS reached the conclusion that “There was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction for murder” in the case of Valdo Colocane
    Does this mean they think the jury would find him Not Guilty if he had been tried for murder? What would have happened to him in that scenario?

"He believed his mind was being controlled by external influences and that his family was in danger if he didn't obey the voices in his head."

Chief crown prosecutor for the east midlands Janine McKinney speaking about killer Valdo Calocane.

https://x.com/skynews/status/1750499918463037823?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

If there had been a trial the jury would have convicted him of manslaughter on the ground of diminished responsibility. Which he pleaded to. The psychiatric evidence was unanimous that his responsibility was at least diminished, so there would have been no lawful basis for a murder conviction.

He would also have been convicted of attempted murder. The special case of diminished responsibility only applies to murder for historical rather than logical reasons.

The convictions recognise real and actual culpability, but diminished. The same can apply when, for example, a wife kills an abusive and violent husband when it is not in self defence.
    Given that, whether it was murder or manslaughter, he is very unlikely to ever be freed, wouldn’t it be better to convict him of murder?

I say this because the bereaved families are furious at it being manslaughter, they feel let down, and a murder verdict doesn’t seem like it would make any practical difference to the guilty man anyway
    The families have been let down, terribly, but not by the manslaughter charge, which as other have noted is likely the right one given the killer's psychotic state. Mental health services and the police have questions to answer about their engagement with the man in the months leading up to the crime, but I expect that at least some of the answer is that they were being asked to do more than their resources allowed.
    Not so sure, the Top Cop said that they did not bother with chasing the warrant as he had only done what he considered minor assaults on 4 different people including a cop. WTF. Is it any wonder the cops spend more time dancing at LGBT festivals than chasing crooks.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,723
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

O/T but the third TV drama serial, companion to Band of Brothers and The Pacific, Masters of the Air, is released today from Apple, with the first episode free. One of the two writers worked on the earlier volumes and one of the directors is retained from the Pacific, and Spielberg and Hanks are executive directors.

Early reviews sound very positive. Any idea if it will eventually reach other platforms? Apple is one of the ones I dont subscribe too...
    Eventually, I expect so, and DVD. The first episode you can watch free to see if you want more; I think there's also a seven day free trial offer, so you can binge the whole thing without paying
    Thee action stuff was good in The Pacific, the human interest stuff less so, cringey and/or boring.
    James Holland and Al Murray are good on their Pod (We have ways of making you talk). One of their things is to change the narrative of the second world war. For many of us its very much:

There is a lot of truth in that - a lot of fighting went on in 1945 in Western Europe, but most people know little about it. I suspect the pacific is a bit like that for many Brits, as in:

I said this before, but a while back I watched a Youtube channel covering the entirety of World War One. I reckon the majority of Brits just think of the big western front battles; perhaps Gallipoli, or even Lawrence of Arabia. In reality the war was much more widespread and complex than that. How many of us in the UK think about the German/Russia side of the war, which was perhaps more significant given the Russian revolution?

I like history; but my knowledge is incredibly patchy on so many areas.
    Totally. One of the things I find very interesting is the different attitudes to Germany in 1914-18 compared to the Nazi flavour. And yet they were not that different. Plenty of atrocities, including in occupied parts of the West. And their territorial demands at Brest Litovsk would not be out of place for a Nazi settlement (had sense prevailed at the end of 1941 and they tried for peace.) People like to characterise WW1 as something that shouldn't have been fought, but this is a false interpretation, brought about by too much sodding poetry of by mostly posho public school officers...
    If you think of the three big world wars which has Europe at their centre - Napoleonic War, WWI and WWII - the big difference with WWI is that it is the one where the main action involved the British Army fighting for the duration at the centre of the action. Consequently British losses, of men and money, were much greater.

If the British Army had been defeated in France in 1914, then even had Britain continued the war until achieving victory over Germany, the cost incurred would likely have been less.

Wars on land are astonishingly destructive, and that naturally makes people wonder if the cost were worthwhile.
    Hence the Steel not Flesh attitude of the second world war leaders. People like to deride Bomber Harris, but he believed he could defeat Germany from the air, with troops on the ground only need to occupy a defeated nation. Bomber Command lost 55,573 men trying to do this (not all against German cities). Some historians think this was wasted effort and that the vast resources would have been better spent elsewhere (such as Max Hastings) but I think the devastation of German cities, infrastructure and then the complete aerial dominance over the D-Day beached and subsequent campaign show that it was worth it.
    Goering thought the same about bombing this country into submission.
    A focus on the radar stations, defence airfields and the naval bases and ships should have been maintained. That'd have been much more difficult for the UK, as well as destroying much of the primary defence against invasion (the RN).
    Most of the ships were kept out of range of the Lufwaffe. There was no need to have the Home Fleet in the channel - we would have known the Germans were coming with enough time to come down from Scapa Flow or where ever.

But German consistently underestimated how many pilots and planes we had (as they did later with Soviet Tank and manpower).
    Marginal numbers in 1940, though, of pilots. Another reason to focus on the defensive airfields, and push the air cover away from the Channel. Just been reading about the impact of a rselatively few Stukas on the naval war in the Mediterranean - even with armour on the flight decks of the RN carriers.
    That was after the Germans noticed that hitting ships from Stukas was really, really hard, during the Battle of Britain. They missed nearly everything.

So the Germans trained a group specifically for anti-shipping work.

Just in time for the Med Campaign.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,012
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Or the Italians and Austrians stuck up in icy mountains where you could barely dig a trench, in conditions and survival rates objectively worse than the Western Front.

Italy was the first European country to fall to fascism, and it grew from its WW1 experience.

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Marshal Cadorna ought to have been shot, for his callous incompetence.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,893
    Sean_F said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

US economy grows 3.3% on an annualised basis in the 4th quarter and by 2.5% in 2023 as a whole. The latest growth was driven by consumption and reflects a surge in consumer confidence: https://www.cnbc.com/2024/01/19/consumer-sentiment-surges-while-inflation-outlook-dips-university-of-michigan-survey-shows.html

Even Fox News reports that the economy is in a sweet spot with good growth but not so much as to reignite inflation.

I remain of the view that these economic performance figures are going to drive Biden's popularity northwards during the coming months. If we end up with a Biden Trump rematch (and I think we will) it will not be as close as it was in 2020.

My view too. Economy plus incumbency plus uncommitted minds focusing properly on Trump. He loses again and it's not that close.
    I've long thought that Biden will easily beat Trump. They could have indicted Trump eons ago for the January 6th nonsense. FFS he was telling the notrights beforehand to fight like hell on Twitter. I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but it suits the Democrats down to the ground to have the Court stuff running in election year and keeping January 6th omnipresent

Having Trump as the candidate helps a million other Democrats too down ticket fighting their own battles.

Matchup polls at this time are different from previous years because of Trump's name recognition. That is why he is riding high.

Now, with that said, the Democrats outperformed their polling markedly in the midterms, and I expect a little bit of swingback.

But anyone expecting this to be a cakewalk for Biden is engaging in wishcasting.
    It should be fascinating, although potentially horrific too. Will Kennedy have an influence, if so who will it hurt the most? Impact of all the court cases? Will the "sane" Republicans finally make a last stand? Turnout differentials from abortion and migration in states with different demographics.

And as a Trumpite Democrat with a Democratic heritage name whilst he is now harming Biden in the polling who knows what that will be if he gets more airtime at a time Trump is facing court case after court case. It could be he gets more from Trump than Biden by the time of the election.
    Maybe, but I think there is polling showing that more people saying they will vote 'Biden' in Biden vs Trump h2h polling are unhappy with their candidate than those saying they will vote 'Trump', so perhaps a bigger potential to lose Biden voters to other candidates? Depends how convinced they are that it is essential to defeat Trump maybe.
    There's an increasingly vocal element of the left that wants Biden to lose purely on foreign policy and regards Trump as the lesser of two evils.
    Do they actually regard Trump as the lesser of two evils - I mean Trump says all kinds of shit, but he's generally been very pro-Israeli? Or are they just not going to vote for Biden?
    People have to learn that politics is usually a choice between better and worse, not good and evil.
    I find it more common to be a choice between continued disaster or fresh disaster.
  • Options
    MoonRabbitMoonRabbit Posts: 12,666

https://www.techneuk.com/tracker/

In our latest poll, conducted on the 24th and 25th of January 2024, we’ve observed a small reversal of fortunes in the political landscape, with the Labour Party regaining its lost ground while the Conservative Party and the Liberal Democrats have both experienced declines. The Reform Party has maintained its support, the Green Party has enjoyed a slight increase, and the SNP along with other parties remain steady.

Here are the latest figures, compared to the poll conducted on the 17th and 18th of January 2024:

Lab: 44% (+1)
    Con: 24% (-1)
    Lib Dem: 10% (-1)
    Reform: 9% (=)
    Green: 7% (+1)
    SNP: 3% (=)
    Others: 3% (=)

Public confidence in the government’s ability to address the country’s priorities shows a net decrease, pointing to growing scepticism with a net minus 25%:

Confident: 34%
    Not Confident: 59%

I thought it might be interesting to look at past poll leads, given that Labour is regularly hitting the +20s at the moment.

The Tories under Cameron never managed a +20 or better lead during the final year of Brown's government. Labour didn't manage it at all between Iraq and Truss. The Tories did, under May and Johnson, though only for a month in the former case, which they then blew in the election campaign.

To be polling this strongly, this late in a parliament is exceptionally rare. It's roughly where Labour was in 2001 (though not 2000). Only Labour in 1996-7 was in a better position - and even then, not by much.

Obviously, a lot can change over 9-10 months but it's difficult to see anything which would obviously improve matters dramatically for the Tories, short of Labour shooting themselves in the foot, which is a risk Labour appears highly tuned to mitigating. Landslide incoming, probably.
    As of now, Labour's lead might even be a bit higher than the same point before 1997;

https://twitter.com/OwenWntr/status/1748403385160654890

(And the 1997 averages are a bit flattered by the inclusion of some really Labour leaning polls. Gallup still had L57ishC25ish in autumn 1996. ICM, which is probably the most comparable with modern methods was around L47C32.)

There are plenty of reasons to thing that the polling gap shouldn't be this big or stable, but still it doesn't move.
    And all the worst media narrative for the Tories, more boat crossings, growth slump possible recession, covid inquiry interim reports, that could seriously depress Tory voting numbers, Sunak’s ratings and party discipline much more than they are now, are all stacked up in the second half of this year too.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,210

GB News
    @GBNEWS
    ‘We are witnessing the death of a political party!'

Pollster and Professor of Politics as the University of Kent,
    @GoodwinMJ, reacts to the GB News people's poll showing 'widespread disillusionment with potential successors to Sunak.'

===

No, we are not.

If they really are massacred (say reduced to fewer seats than the LDs) it’d be interesting to see whether they could survive. It might be enough to trigger a long term realignment with a hard right anti-immigrant party facing a moderate Labour Party, who could probably accommodate some elements of the more moderate Conservative wing, and which might in turn see the Corbynites peel off to form their own party of the left.
    Even on Goodwin's own poll the Tories are still a clear second, he is just using his narrative and reading the poll results accordingly.

It would take ReformUK overtaking the Tories under FPTP for there to be any real realignment and likely ultimate merger between the 2 and even then centrist Tories would be more likely to move to the LDs than Labour, even Starmer Labour
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,645
    Sean_F said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Do they actually regard Trump as the lesser of two evils - I mean Trump says all kinds of shit, but he's generally been very pro-Israeli? Or are they just not going to vote for Biden?
    People have to learn that politics is usually a choice between better and worse, not good and evil.
    One of the disturbing things about Today's Conservative Party. The intense disagreement between bigendians and littleendians.

It's the sort of thing that those of us on the centre right used to rightly laugh at lefties for doing. And now the roles have (largely) reversed.
  • Options

Back on topic, no wonder the Tories tried to keep the elderly alive during Covid, at the expense of the prosperity and mental health of younger people. Imagine the effect on Tory votes if oldies had been allowed to die to protect the rest of the population, and there were 50% fewer over 65s. Or would under 65s have been more grateful and more inclined to vote Tory?

some try , they cleared out the old folk homes good style.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,418
    rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

It's both. They refuse to vote for Biden, and they are dimissive of people saying, "But that means Trump will win!"

https://x.com/tparsi/status/1748902995226407388

Biden thinks that he has the Arab American vote secured because Trump imposed the Muslim Ban.

In Biden's view, preventing Muslims from coming to America is worse than facilitating the slaughter of +24,000 Palestinians in Gaza.

Not a single Arab American I have spoken to agrees
    I think Biden will definitely lose some Arab American votes, but I don't think those voters are going to actually vote Republican, I think they'll mostly stay at home.

This will, no doubt, have an impact on his vote share, and it could lose him Michigan. But it is worth noting that there simply aren't that many Arab Americans, and not every one of them is going to stay home.

(It is also worth noting that here in LA there were Mosques - admittedly pretty liberal ones - that came out in support of Israel at the beginning of the conflict. Although, I suspect that support may be wavering somewhat now.)
    It is reassuring when you temper @williamglenn and his,"Biden is doomed, Trump will prevail narrative" at every event that arises, with a balanced analysis of what could
    happen and what is unlikely to happen when we see bumps in the road for Biden.

My big fear is the immigration issue, that is not so much a bump as a mountain range in the road. Biden has dropped the ball and seems unable to recover possessions of that ball.
  • Options
    edited January 26
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

The CPS reached the conclusion that “There was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction for murder” in the case of Valdo Colocane
    Does this mean they think the jury would find him Not Guilty if he had been tried for murder? What would have happened to him in that scenario?

"He believed his mind was being controlled by external influences and that his family was in danger if he didn't obey the voices in his head."

Chief crown prosecutor for the east midlands Janine McKinney speaking about killer Valdo Calocane.

If there had been a trial the jury would have convicted him of manslaughter on the ground of diminished responsibility. Which he pleaded to. The psychiatric evidence was unanimous that his responsibility was at least diminished, so there would have been no lawful basis for a murder conviction.

He would also have been convicted of attempted murder. The special case of diminished responsibility only applies to murder for historical rather than logical reasons.

The convictions recognise real and actual culpability, but diminished. The same can apply when, for example, a wife kills an abusive and violent husband when it is not in self defence.
    Given that, whether it was murder or manslaughter, he is very unlikely to ever be freed, wouldn’t it be better to convict him of murder?

I say this because the bereaved families are furious at it being manslaughter, they feel let down, and a murder verdict doesn’t seem like it would make any practical difference to the guilty man anyway
    The families have been let down, terribly, but not by the manslaughter charge, which as other have noted is likely the right one given the killer's psychotic state. Mental health services and the police have questions to answer about their engagement with the man in the months leading up to the crime, but I expect that at least some of the answer is that they were being asked to do more than their resources allowed.
    Not so sure, the Top Cop said that they did not bother with chasing the warrant as he had only done what he considered minor assaults on 4 different people including a cop. WTF. Is it any wonder the cops spend more time dancing at LGBT festivals than chasing crooks.
    This is also interesting on the wider issue of police - the issue being that nobody in authority went and looked at the problem convictions or told the chaps fitted up even when they knew [edit] the convictions were bent. Not the Met, for a change, though.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2024/jan/25/i-just-went-bent-how-britains-most-corrupt-cop-ruined-countless-lives

'In the modest-sized court seven at the Royal Courts of Justice in central London, the children of Saliah Mehmet and Basil Peterkin squeeze into the rows of benches alongside journalists, campaigners and friends. It is the morning of 18 January 2024, almost 47 years since their fathers were imprisoned for conspiracy to steal goods from the Bricklayers Arms depot in south London, where they worked. Three years later, in 1980, the officer who arrested them, along with two of his team, was convicted of the same crime, in the same depot, which they policed.'

'Five years earlier, in 2013, Simmons had called a legal phone-in on LBC radio to ask for advice about his case and was told to try Googling his arresting officer. When he searched for DS Ridgewell of the BTP, he was shocked to discover the officer had been jailed for the identical offence four years after his own conviction. If he hadn’t happened to hear that radio show, it is unlikely he would ever have been cleared – and nor would Ridgewell’s other victims.'
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,793
    Masters of the Air: pretty slow opening 5 minutes. Usual problem with mumbled dialogue in dark bars. Opening credits suitably epic. Battle photography amazing. Norfolk civilians gawping at US Air Force like they are their salvation (why do Americans get Brits so consistently wrong?) but not too bad an opening episode. Failed raid on Bremen feels typical of many missions.

6/10.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Sandpit said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

Yes, there could be a stay-at-home “Free Palestine” movement, especially among Muslim communities.
    Today's interim ICJ ruling is going to create more problems for Western governments. Either they truly believe in the international rules based order, or they don't (or only when it suits them). I can't see Israel abiding by the ruling, so what do the US and UK do then?
    What they usually do , ignore it.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

I like history; but my knowledge is incredibly patchy on so many areas.
    Totally. One of the things I find very interesting is the different attitudes to Germany in 1914-18 compared to the Nazi flavour. And yet they were not that different. Plenty of atrocities, including in occupied parts of the West. And their territorial demands at Brest Litovsk would not be out of place for a Nazi settlement (had sense prevailed at the end of 1941 and they tried for peace.) People like to characterise WW1 as something that shouldn't have been fought, but this is a false interpretation, brought about by too much sodding poetry of by mostly posho public school officers...
    If you think of the three big world wars which has Europe at their centre - Napoleonic War, WWI and WWII - the big difference with WWI is that it is the one where the main action involved the British Army fighting for the duration at the centre of the action. Consequently British losses, of men and money, were much greater.

If the British Army had been defeated in France in 1914, then even had Britain continued the war until achieving victory over Germany, the cost incurred would likely have been less.

Wars on land are astonishingly destructive, and that naturally makes people wonder if the cost were worthwhile.
    Hence the Steel not Flesh attitude of the second world war leaders. People like to deride Bomber Harris, but he believed he could defeat Germany from the air, with troops on the ground only need to occupy a defeated nation. Bomber Command lost 55,573 men trying to do this (not all against German cities). Some historians think this was wasted effort and that the vast resources would have been better spent elsewhere (such as Max Hastings) but I think the devastation of German cities, infrastructure and then the complete aerial dominance over the D-Day beached and subsequent campaign show that it was worth it.
    Goering thought the same about bombing this country into submission.
    A focus on the radar stations, defence airfields and the naval bases and ships should have been maintained. That'd have been much more difficult for the UK, as well as destroying much of the primary defence against invasion (the RN).
    Most of the ships were kept out of range of the Lufwaffe. There was no need to have the Home Fleet in the channel - we would have known the Germans were coming with enough time to come down from Scapa Flow or where ever.

But German consistently underestimated how many pilots and planes we had (as they did later with Soviet Tank and manpower).
    Marginal numbers in 1940, though, of pilots. Another reason to focus on the defensive airfields, and push the air cover away from the Channel. Just been reading about the impact of a rselatively few Stukas on the naval war in the Mediterranean - even with armour on the flight decks of the RN carriers.
    That was after the Germans noticed that hitting ships from Stukas was really, really hard, during the Battle of Britain. They missed nearly everything.

So the Germans trained a group specifically for anti-shipping work.

Just in time for the Med Campaign.
    Indeed, the start of 1941.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,437
    malcolmg said:

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

Apparently the chap wasn't assessed by a psychiatrist on the day of his arrest. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day.

(You get the picture).

Quite why this didn't happen is for an eventual enquiry, but the clinicians involved have had to assess his mental state on a day several months in the past, and this is not ideal.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,100
    Another 20% rating for the Tories.

"Labour 45%
    Conservatives 20%
    Reform 12%
    Lib Dems 10%

@PeoplePolling"
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,723
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

When you get to the 12th Battle of the Isonzo. The number is a clue.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,567
    edited January 26
    Sean_F said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

People have to learn that politics is usually a choice between better worse and even worse still, not good and evil.
    Corrected for you
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,796

Back on topic, no wonder the Tories tried to keep the elderly alive during Covid, at the expense of the prosperity and mental health of younger people. Imagine the effect on Tory votes if oldies had been allowed to die to protect the rest of the population, and there were 50% fewer over 65s. Or would under 65s have been more grateful and more inclined to vote Tory?

Maybe you've lost both your parents and/or grandparents - but as someone who entered Covid in my late 20s, me and my cousins were more concerned about covid on behalf of our grandparents then our grandparents originally were. My Nan's birthday is at the end of March and I remember distinctly that I cancelled our family get together before the lockdowns came in because that would have been 20 odd people across 3 generations all coming together with half a dozen people over the age of 70, a couple of them almost in their 90s.

I have no issue as a "young person" having acted in a way that helped to safeguard the health of the old and vulnerable.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,980

In our latest poll, conducted on the 24th and 25th of January 2024, we’ve observed a small reversal of fortunes in the political landscape, with the Labour Party regaining its lost ground while the Conservative Party and the Liberal Democrats have both experienced declines. The Reform Party has maintained its support, the Green Party has enjoyed a slight increase, and the SNP along with other parties remain steady.

Here are the latest figures, compared to the poll conducted on the 17th and 18th of January 2024:

Public confidence in the government’s ability to address the country’s priorities shows a net decrease, pointing to growing scepticism with a net minus 25%:

I thought it might be interesting to look at past poll leads, given that Labour is regularly hitting the +20s at the moment.

The Tories under Cameron never managed a +20 or better lead during the final year of Brown's government. Labour didn't manage it at all between Iraq and Truss. The Tories did, under May and Johnson, though only for a month in the former case, which they then blew in the election campaign.

To be polling this strongly, this late in a parliament is exceptionally rare. It's roughly where Labour was in 2001 (though not 2000). Only Labour in 1996-7 was in a better position - and even then, not by much.

Obviously, a lot can change over 9-10 months but it's difficult to see anything which would obviously improve matters dramatically for the Tories, short of Labour shooting themselves in the foot, which is a risk Labour appears highly tuned to mitigating. Landslide incoming, probably.
    I put a tenner on Labour vote percentage at 48-49.99% at 21/1 last night on BF exchange.

I doubt it will happen, but if we keep seeing polls in the current range I expect that price to come in a lot and to be able to trade out at a profit.

Traditional wisdom says there will be some swingback to the Tories the closer we get to election day. I actually think this lot are such a shower of shite GE2024 may well be the exception to the rule.

Sunak is gonna be Maybot 2.0, on (diet) coke. The more the voters see of him, the less they like.

• Options

The thing that leaps out straight away David, is where you are looking at leads, not shares? Outside C L Ld in 97 others = 6%, on current polls 20%. Labour lead margins owe to R syphoning of C, historically for 20+ you needed to be pushing 50 not 44?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

When you get to the 12th Battle of the Isonzo. The number is a clue.
    I’ve walked those mountains. Fighting up there would have been no fun, at all.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,448
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

China, 1937, is arguably where WWII started.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Sino-Japanese_War
    Yes. The only two logical dates for the start of WW2 are 1941, when the various wars across the globe merged into one, or 1937, when the earliest of those regional wars began. 1939 is a Eurocentric insistence.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,796

GB News
    @GBNEWS
    ‘We are witnessing the death of a political party!'

Pollster and Professor of Politics as the University of Kent,
    @GoodwinMJ, reacts to the GB News people's poll showing 'widespread disillusionment with potential successors to Sunak.'

===

No, we are not.

If they really are massacred (say reduced to fewer seats than the LDs) it’d be interesting to see whether they could survive. It might be enough to trigger a long term realignment with a hard right anti-immigrant party facing a moderate Labour Party, who could probably accommodate some elements of the more moderate Conservative wing, and which might in turn see the Corbynites peel off to form their own party of the left.
    I saw one model of one poll that put the Tories behind the SNP and LDs. I think the Tories can survive if they are the third party, but the fourth would see the party die / merge with Reform. I just wonder if Labour under SKS becomes the de facto centre-right party if that opens a space for Greens / LDs to grow and / or become the de facto centre left party.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Sean_F said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

People have to learn that politics is usually a choice between better worse and even worse still, not good and evil.
    Corrected for you
    No Western political party can magic up growth and prosperity easily anymore, and to some extent we're at the mercy of events.

That's the real problem.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Likewise with WW1:

An Austrian archduke was killed - all the soldiers were killed in pointless, muddy, bloody battles - except the ones who were shot for shellshock - because the generals were useless, stubborn poshos - and then we won.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Yes. The only two logical dates for the start of WW2 are 1941, when the various wars across the globe merged into one, or 1937, when the earliest of those regional wars began. 1939 is a Eurocentric insistence.
    It's accurate for Britain and France though.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,017
    Some data for RFK Jr's fundraising last year.
    https://www.politico.com/newsletters/politico-nightly/2023/10/23/how-has-rfk-jr-raised-all-that-money-00123069

He's had several 70th birthday party Hollywood fundraisers recently.

I don't get the attraction of the anti-vax grifter, but the US can be an odd place.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,673

malcolmg said:

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

Apparently the chap wasn't assessed by a psychiatrist on the day of his arrest. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day. Or the next day.

(You get the picture).

Quite why this didn't happen is for an eventual enquiry, but the clinicians involved have had to assess his mental state on a day several months in the past, and this is not ideal.
    The other concern is that most people regard secure mental hospitals as a soft option, hence Calocane has got away with murder. The Sun's editorial today, for instance, says:-

But there will be no decades of hard time for him.

Judged schizophrenic, he will spend his life in a cushy mental hospital, ­perhaps playing snooker, learning the saxophone or painting.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/25510550/valdo-calocane-victims-families-sun-says/

Never mind that a high-security psychiatric hospital is far more regimented than any prison, with no free association or privacy, and also that he will almost certainly die there rather than being eligible for parole with a life sentence for murder.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,706
    edited January 26
    Taz said:

TimS said:

Andy_JS said:

"‘I told Blair to cancel Horizon in 1998 – even I could see it was likely to go wrong’
    Sir Geoff Mulgan, adviser to multiple PMs, explains how the process was flawed – and why the winner of the next election needs to ‘a reset'"

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2024/01/26/sir-geoff-mulgan-horizon-post-office-tony-blair-fujitsu/

Yep, the whole Post Office scandal was Tonty Blair's fault. Tonty and of course SKS as DPP plus Ed Davey as the sole minister with any responsibility.

The Tory grift on the PO and their ability to shift blame has been breathtaking and I think quite successful.
    Yes, because it is all those evil Tories fault and no one else or no other party has to take any accountability for their actions because. Tories. Innit.
    Generally it is not politicians fault, it is the fault of the system in that this stuff never gets in front of the ministers or if it does it is in a mass of other stuff and when ministers query it they are led to believe by civil servants or the PO there is nothing to it and they trust them. Then they move onto item 251 in their massive list of items. They just don't have the time. Having done a FOI on a similar case the ministers get a brief and a draft letter to send out from their civil servants. In the FOIs I have never seen one minister query a brief. They should. They can't and do their job as it is currently structured.

That is what leads to these things happening and it needs to change.

Now if we are going to lay blame at politicians the later in the day the more culpable they are because the more warning signs there are. Hence the criticism of the Tories trying to smear Labour and the LDs. I don't blame the Tories for what went wrong, but there were more warning signs for them than anyone else just by the fact that they are the last ones in power. Hence I think Tories politicising this is despicable.

And just for the record the one I am involved in has a Tory government not doing anything and is during a Tory government but I am not blaming them and the campaign (although cross party) is primarily supported by Tory MPs.

Some things should be above petty politics and be about solving the problems.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Likewise with WW1:

An Austrian archduke was killed - all the soldiers were killed in pointless, muddy, bloody battles - except the ones who were shot for shellshock - because the generals were useless, stubborn poshos - and then we won.
    My 1918 the British army was a very effective fighting force, particularly at combined arms. The 100 days was an exceptional campaign.

Much more effective than in WWII, FWIW.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

kamski said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

tyson said:

kinabalu said:

DavidL said:

One of the disturbing things about Today's Conservative Party. The intense disagreement between bigendians and littleendians.

It's the sort of thing that those of us on the centre right used to rightly laugh at lefties for doing. And now the roles have (largely) reversed.
    Zoom out from our politics, and then zoom out some more - and the Conservatives’ secret for having (mostly) dominated our politics for two centuries is that they have been the pragmatic party - able to swallow some radical changes in direction when the national interest demands - whereas their opponents on the left have always put ideology first.

Within living memory, their rule was interrupted only by Blair - who managed to marginalise ideology within his own party, putting pragmatism to the fore while the Tories went off on their adventure of ideologically-driven LOTOs. As soon as the Tories recovered their pragmatism under Cameron (flawed though most of his judgements subsequently turned out to be), Labour was out.

With Brexit, Johnson and the unfolding s**tshow following, including the expulsion of much of their pragmatic wing, the Tories have turned their back on realpolitik and tied themselves to their ideological obsessions. I don’t see them returning to government until they find someone able to negate pretty much everything they’ve done since 2015 and return to the path of sensible moderation.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,254
    felix said:

Its likely we can see 150-200 new Labour MPs at the GE, with a large overall majority. Is there any analysis of the likely balance of the party - my fear is a large and strong left-wing cohort - not a majority - but enough to wreak havoc. We know how much damage has occurred on the other side within the Conservatives. I woinder will we see a repeat. I think most voters are broadly centrist - it would be nice if they were governed from a centrist perspective.

The difference between them is, while the Tories have continuously tried to appease the right, and been mullered as a result, Starmer has defeated the left at every opportunity
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,474
    edited January 26
    148grss said:

Maybe you've lost both your parents and/or grandparents - but as someone who entered Covid in my late 20s, me and my cousins were more concerned about covid on behalf of our grandparents then our grandparents originally were. My Nan's birthday is at the end of March and I remember distinctly that I cancelled our family get together before the lockdowns came in because that would have been 20 odd people across 3 generations all coming together with half a dozen people over the age of 70, a couple of them almost in their 90s.

I have no issue as a "young person" having acted in a way that helped to safeguard the health of the old and vulnerable.
    Why couldn't you have gone down the pub and boozed it up with a bunch of other late 20-yr olds while your grandparents were safe at home.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Likewise with WW1:

My 1918 the British army was a very effective fighting force, particularly at combined arms. The 100 days was an exceptional campaign.

Thats fair. I can't remember the numbers, but the proportion of German divisions confronting the British as opposed to the French and Americans was very high during that time.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,643
    isam said:

Sir Keir on tv today saying there’s a profile of young man that is quite likely to be using a knife, and they should get support before they use them

https://x.com/keir_starmer/status/1750870229540835659?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q

Unavoidable I suppose that Starmer talks of 'Labour getting knife crime off the streets' but still depressing. Every single dwelling possesses a knife capable of killing someone and this is not going to stop. Every gang member, dealer and knifer knows that you can and will get life sentences with 25-35 year minimums and this does not always deter.

So it would be good if Labour talked in a more grown up way about the options.
  • Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,354
    Scott_xP said:

felix said:

Its likely we can see 150-200 new Labour MPs at the GE, with a large overall majority. Is there any analysis of the likely balance of the party - my fear is a large and strong left-wing cohort - not a majority - but enough to wreak havoc. We know how much damage has occurred on the other side within the Conservatives. I woinder will we see a repeat. I think most voters are broadly centrist - it would be nice if they were governed from a centrist perspective.

The difference between them is, while the Tories have continuously tried to appease the right, and been mullered as a result, Starmer has defeated the left at every opportunity
    SKS currently has no power, the left will come roaring back when he does.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,037
    edited January 26
    algarkirk said:

isam said:

Unavoidable I suppose that Starmer talks of 'Labour getting knife crime off the streets' but still depressing. Every single dwelling possesses a knife capable of killing someone and this is not going to stop. Every gang member, dealer and knifer knows that you can and will get life sentences with 25-35 year minimums and this does not always deter.

He says there is a profile of young person who is more likely to use a knife, and that Labour will step in before the damage is done

What is the content of this profile? I’d like to hear Sir Keir outline it
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Another 20% rating for the Tories.

"Labour 45%
    Conservatives 20%
    Reform 12%
    Lib Dems 10%

@PeoplePolling"

That is comparatively good for the Conservatives given PeoplePolling's history.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Likewise with WW1:

Indeed. But that isn't the popular perception.

But as was mentioned earlier, by mid-1918, the British army had had four years to learn the new warfare. In WW2, it launched D-Day with little experience of winning land battles outside peripheral arena with much smaller forces, even including Italy (likewise, the US and Canada too).
  • Options
    isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

He says there is a profile of young person who is more likely to use a knife, and that Labour will step in before the damage is done

I'll give you a start - it will be male...
  • Options

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

It is. But copious empires though Britain and France had, they were not the world.
  • Options
    isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

It will start with their socio-economic position in society.
  • Options
    edited January 26
    The inbuilt contradiction of British politics is that while many if not most of the people actively involved in it want radical changes, of hugely varying nature, most of the voters just want sensible moderation. Discuss.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,185

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Likewise with WW1:

It helped that - by the end - the German forces were starving and poorly equipped. (The result of the British naval blockade.)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

I thought they were going to start by measuring the shape of people's heads?
  • Options

The thing that leaps out straight away David, is where you are looking at leads, not shares? Outside C L Ld in 97 others = 6%, on current polls 20%. Labour lead margins owe to R syphoning of C, historically for 20+ you needed to be pushing 50 not 44?
    In terms of determining the size of the winning party's majority, by far the most important figure remains the Con/Lab lead.

And while Others are indeed polling much higher than pre-2010, Con+Lab probably isn't all that far off, not least because the LDs used to regularly poll in the 20s.
  • Options
    edited January 26

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Likewise with WW1:

Australia & Canada say hi! Yes, the First World War was odd like that. It came suddenly out of nowhere (37 Days) and was wrapped up in a couple of months, bookending four years of mud and slaughter and to be followed by the Spanish flu pandemic incubated in the trenches that killed more people than the shells and bullets.

ETA slightly odd is the things that should have made a difference, the revolution in Russia freeing up Germans for the Western front, and the entry of the Americans, turned out not to have been decisive.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

I thought they were going to start by measuring the shape of people's heads?
    Sometimes one needs to state the bleedin' obvious.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Likewise with WW1:

It helped that - by the end - the German forces were starving and poorly equipped. (The result of the British naval blockade.)
    Yep - the German troops morale had started to go by that point.

I am always fascinated by the failure of the British (and French) to break German lines before 1918, yet when the Germans attacked in the spring of 1918 they achieved huge advances. Now I know a lot of the reasons (Germans were happy to cede land to create the best defence whereas it was unconscionable that Allies do the same, German defence in depth with thinly held front lines, with the allies not really fully setting up reserve lines etc, German infiltration and shock tactics) but it still surprises. That the British had moved away from weeks of bombardment to surprise was a big factor.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

It is. But copious empires though Britain and France had, they were not the world.
    The British Empire covered almost two fifths of the world. The French still more.

It is not comparable to how Britain is today.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Likewise with WW1:

Indeed. But that isn't the popular perception.

But as was mentioned earlier, by mid-1918, the British army had had four years to learn the new warfare. In WW2, it launched D-Day with little experience of winning land battles outside peripheral arena with much smaller forces, even including Italy (likewise, the US and Canada too).
    The British Army had also learned immensely from the Boer War. It did not start anew in 1914.

Let us admit it fairly, as a business people should,
    We have had no end of a lesson: it will do us no end of good.
    It was our fault, and our very great fault—and now we must turn it to use.
    We have forty million reasons for failure, but not a single excuse.
    So the more we work and the less we talk the better results we shall get—
    We have had an Imperial lesson; it may make us an Empire yet!

https://www.kiplingsociety.co.uk/poem/poems_lesson.htm
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,100
    "How the border could cost Biden the election
    To keep Trump out of power, the Democrats need to make an offer on immigration policy"

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2024/01/25/how-the-border-could-cost-biden-the-election
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Likewise with WW1:

Australia & Canada say hi! Yes, the First World War was odd like that. It came suddenly out of nowhere (37 Days) and was wrapped up in a couple of months, bookending four years of mud and slaughter and to be followed by the Spanish flu pandemic incubated in the trenches that killed more people than the shells and bullets.

ETA slightly odd is the things that should have made a difference, the revolution in Russia freeing up Germans for the Western front, and the entry of the Americans, turned out not to have been decisive.
    Oh, absolutely.

We couldn't have fought (and won) WWI or WWII without Australian, Canadian, New Zealand, South African, West African and, in particular, Indian Army troops all of which we could leverage and deploy. It probably tripled our firepower, or more.

Just relying on home troops alone would have meant we'd been able to do rather little.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

The British Empire covered almost two fifths of the world. The French still more.

Surely not. Quarter of the *land* surface at best. Which makes a quarter of 29% = 7% of the world.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The inbuilt contradiction of British politics is that while many if not most of the people actively involved in it want radical changes, of hugely varying nature, most of the voters just want sensible moderation. Discuss.

The broken bit is members and activists. People who just want things run well don't join political parties these days; obsessives do - and while obsessives always have, these days their proportionate numbers (and hence power) is far higher. That affects candidate selection, both in selection meetings and in the sort of people who put themselves forward in the first place.
  • Options

Scott_xP said:

felix said:

He currently has sufficient power to expel Corbyn, keep the Corbynists away from key seat selections, mould the NEC in his image, and ditch policies advanced under Corbyn.

The left has been utterly impotent, foaming on the sidelines whilst its project has been systematically torn limb from limb over the past four years, yet you expect people to believe they'll come "roaring back" when Starmer is in Number 10? Total balls.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

(You get the picture).

The other concern is that most people regard secure mental hospitals as a soft option, hence Calocane has got away with murder. The Sun's editorial today, for instance, says:-

But there will be no decades of hard time for him.

Judged schizophrenic, he will spend his life in a cushy mental hospital, ­perhaps playing snooker, learning the saxophone or painting.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/25510550/valdo-calocane-victims-families-sun-says/

Never mind that a high-security psychiatric hospital is far more regimented than any prison, with no free association or privacy, and also that he will almost certainly die there rather than being eligible for parole with a life sentence for murder.
    Yeah, Broadmoor is pretty much like prison as far as the inmates patients are concerned, complete with the massive air-raid siren that wakes up the local community if they ever find themselves one short.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Likewise with WW1:

Oh, absolutely.

We couldn't have fought (and won) WWI or WWII without Australian, Canadian, New Zealand, South African, West African and, in particular, Indian Army troops all of which we could leverage and deploy. It probably tripled our firepower, or more.

Just relying on home troops alone would have meant we'd been able to do rather little.
    The 100 Days at the end of the war is often credited to Canadian and Australian generals, especially Monash, and especially by Canadians and Australians! On the great number of Indian troops fighting on our side, it is frustrating that ahistorical Dr Who scriptwriters want to plonk them in France.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Surely not. Quarter of the *land* surface at best. Which makes a quarter of 29% = 7% of the world.
    Nah. Britannia ruled 100% of the waves....
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,936

Foxy said:

IanB2 said:

Reconsider size of your forces, head of US navy tells Britain
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/reconsider-size-of-your-forces-head-of-us-navy-tells-britain-06pwpkk37 (£££)

Four decades of Tory defence cuts.

Again, the Tories haven't been in office for the last four decades.
    Not continuously, but then he didn't say that!
    In which case it's utterly meaningless.

Defence spending under Thatcher rose to 1985-1986.
    That's nearly 40 years ago.

Uk armed forces personnel:

1979: 315 000
    1989: 311 000
    1997: 210 000
    2010: 191 000
    2016: 151 000
    2023: 143 000

1% drop under Thatcher
    33% drop under Major
    10% drop under Blair/Brown
    21% cut under Cameron
    5% cut under May/Johnson/Truss/Sunak

So the big cuts in numbers were under Major and Cameron. Obviously military commitments varied over this period, particularly in Northern Ireland, Germany, Iraq and Afghanistan.

So you agree there were cuts under New Labour then?

Thanks.
    Yes, 20 000 of a drop of 160 000
  • Options
    isam said:

algarkirk said:

isam said:

Does he wear blue and white checked trousers, a white jacket, and a big white paper hat?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

To keep Trump out of power, the Democrats need to make an offer on immigration policy"

https://www.economist.com/leaders/2024/01/25/how-the-border-could-cost-biden-the-election

Is The Economist as well as The Spectator plagiarising Leon's PB posts now?
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

In which case CR would have claimed 78%!

Also it's standard doctrine that you can't control the sea. It's not like the infantry on land. But it would be unfair to start a new ar-, discussion as I have to do some sorting out now, so have a good day.
  • Options

In terms of determining the size of the winning party's majority, by far the most important figure remains the Con/Lab lead.

And while Others are indeed polling much higher than pre-2010, Con+Lab probably isn't all that far off, not least because the LDs used to regularly poll in the 20s.
    No, not the point I’m making - I’m referring to the standout difference between 97 and 24 in the 6 to 20% others adding fluidity and more unknowns to a situation than historical comparisons can handle. Labour share would only need to slip about 3.5 to 4.5 for a hung Parliament in this situation, “if” Ref support collapses late on to the Conservatives who with that Lab to government swing back PV at 34. 40 v 34. Hung Parliament.

Late changes like these are more credible in current 20+ others, than the much greater wealth of historical comparisons. To be honest, will Ref go from 12 to 3 and C from 25 to 34% - most PBers would say “I don’t expect so.” But not a single PBer will say it’s absolutely 100% not going to happen. It’s scenario built into where we are now, not built into the past. Do you see the point? The other part of it, of course, Lab now on 44 but slipping to a PV perhaps lower even in late 30’s is a lot more of us would think as possible or even likely.

Or put more simply, Lab polling leads you suggested in historical terms mean strength, can be mirage or fools gold in a situation where there’s so much others meaning it might not be a strong as it looks. I did say mirage not farage, now I will say Farage. Farage was more in the game, more popular, more of a UK political leader in the lead up to 2019, yet still the conservatives stripped him, tied him to a lampost and abused him. We need to keep it in mind current ref scores could jump to the Tory total proving Labours poll leads were not as special as all that.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Taz said:
    Well as a good Muslim boy I cannot comment on sausages.
    Question - given that fine sausages can be made from lamb, beef and venison, are there halal sausages? If not, why not?
    There are Halal sausages but the vegan ones taste like rubber and I prefer seekh kebabs made from lamb or chicken.
    Vegan sausages are a strange idea to me - if you don’t want to eat meat, why eat something that looks like a meat product.

Lamb or venison sausages are especially good. I always include some in the mix for BBQ. Can’t see why you couldn’t make them without any pork products at all. Or do they?

Lamb kebabs made from pieces of real lamb are magnificent, if done right. The marinading is critical.
    Vegan (or as the kool kids say, plant-based) sausage rolls were outselling the real thing in my global megacorp's staff canteens.
    Most sausages are crap, but vegetarian ones are at least likely to be of more consistent quality.
    Unless I can rely on the quality, I usually opt for the vegetarian choice.
    Meat, vegetarian, or vegan - most sausages are ultra-processed foods. Just look at the list of ingredients in, for example:

Waitrose No.1 Free Range Lincolnshire Pork Sausages
    Pork (91%), water, sage, rice flour, maize flour, sea salt, black pepper, white pepper, stabiliser (triphosphates), preservative (sodium metabisulphite), maize starch, salt, dextrose monohydrate. Filled into calcium alginate casings.

Tesco Finest Pork Sausages
    Pork (90%), Water, Rice Flour, Potato Starch, Salt, Acidity Regulator (Calcium Lactate), White Pepper, Sage, Stabilisers (Tetrasodium Diphosphate, Disodium Diphosphate), Coriander, Preservative (Sodium Metabisulphite), Nutmeg, Dextrose, Bamboo Fibre, Caramelised Sugar Syrup, Colour (Paprika Extract).
    (Bamboo fibre ffs?)

Linda Mccartney Vegetarian Sausages
    Rehydrated Textured Soya Protein (52%), Water, Rapeseed Oil, Soya Protein Concentrate, Seasoning (Sulphites) (Dextrose, Flavourings, Salt, Onion Powder, Yeast Extract, Colour: Red Iron Oxide), Fortified Wheat Flour (Wheat Flour, Calcium Carbonate, Iron, Niacin, Thiamin), Bamboo Fibre, Stabiliser: Methyl Cellulose, Tomato Purée, Salt, Raising Agent: Ammonium Carbonates
    This is a really important point. Vegan (and vegetarian) food is often held to be a healthier alternative to meat containing products and yet the stuff from the supermarkets is not wholesome food. Far better to source the veg, herbs and spices and make it yourself.
    Or just eat whole cuts of unprocessed meat and problem is solved.

Though having said that, if you want sausages there are certainly better options out there. Contrast that incredibly processed Linda Mccartney crap with Heck sausages for instance:

British Pork (97%), Seasoning (Salt, Spices, Gluten Free Rice Flour, Sugar, Preservative (Sodium Sulphite**), Antioxidant (Ascorbic Acid)), Filled into Beef Collagen Casings

That's it. Not a whole list of crap, 97% pork then some seasoning, preservative, antioxidant and casings - no added crap. I'd prefer to have it without sugar personally, but considering its 0.1g of carbs per 100grams it can't be that much sugar added.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

“In 2016 Mr Trump rode “border chaos” all the way to the Republican nomination and then on to the presidency. At the time, he campaigned as if record numbers of migrants were coming across the border illegally. That was not true then, but it is now.”
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Or the British and Empire forces in Mespot and Tanganyika, or the Japanese-UK siege of Tsingtao/Qingdao.
    The last German forces to surrender were in Zambia.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/mbala-wwi-surrender-monument#:~:text=On November 25, 1918, a,returned to German East Africa.

It's hard to beat the 1964 Great War series, which has many first hand interviews and covers the whole war.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Likewise with WW1:

Oh, absolutely.

The 100 Days at the end of the war is often credited to Canadian and Australian generals, especially Monash, and especially by Canadians and Australians! On the great number of Indian troops fighting on our side, it is frustrating that ahistorical Dr Who scriptwriters want to plonk them in France.
    Er ... they did serve. Though not in the 100 days, of course, if that is what you mean. Wiki:

"Before being themselves withdrawn to Egypt in March 1918, they took part in the Battle of the Somme, the Battle of Bazentin, the Battle of Flers-Courcelette, the advance to the Hindenburg Line and finally the Battle of Cambrai. Of the 130,000 Indians who served in France and Belgium, almost 9,000 died."

And of course having Indians in the ME to secure the oil meant more British and (other) Dominion troops elsewhere.
  • Options
    Gutted to hear that Klopp is leaving Liverpool. He's been talismanic and really improved the club, as well as coming across as an all-round wonderful person. Not just the first team, but the academy etc have come along in leaps and bounds too - we're getting a lot more players through from the academy than in the past which is great for development.

Hopefully him leaving can more Shankly to Paisley, than Fergie to a rotating pile of crap, when it comes to what comes next.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Likewise with WW1:

Everyone remembers (sort of) Jutland but the Royal Navy really did lay the smack down, and was even better at gunnery in WWII (which people tend to remember through the loss of the Hood or the loss of PoW/Repulse) but not it's convey, escort, bombardment or littoral work, which was outstanding.
  • Options
    @Andy_Cooke Re Battle of Britain

Noted with thanks.

Yes, I was dimly recording a passage from Churchill's war volumes which I read many years ago. Your qualification makes sense and is, I am sure, accurate.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Considering Britain ruled the waves, then two fifths might be underplaying it by your logic.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Likewise with WW1:

Oh, absolutely.

There were some Indian Army forces in France early on, but withdrawn in 1915.

Indeed the first VC awarded to an Indian Army soldier was on the Western Front.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khudadad_Khan
  • Options

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

From 1939 is when every inhabited continent in the world, except I believe for South America, was engaged somehow in the war.

That's not Eurocentric, its just a matter of fact.
  • Options

Gutted to hear that Klopp is leaving Liverpool. He's been talismanic and really improved the club, as well as coming across as an all-round wonderful person. Not just the first team, but the academy etc have come along in leaps and bounds too - we're getting a lot more players through from the academy than in the past which is great for development.

Hopefully him leaving can more Shankly to Paisley, than Fergie to a rotating pile of crap, when it comes to what comes next.

How long will Alonso need to bed down is the answer, can he start winning things straight away?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,980
    148grss said:

My grandfather caught covid twice while dying of cancer as a nonogenarian. Was like water off a duck's back. But while he was still lucid, his greatest regret was being unable to see more of his family due to the home he was in being locked down for months at a time. Later, while less lucid, it was painful to watch him not understand why nobody had visited in weeks - we weren't allowed to.

There is more to life than merely existing. And lockdown was a very, very painful existence, for many of us.
  • Options

Agree totally gutted, apparently the board had a couple of months’ notice so hopefully they have someone lined up.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,187

TSE shouldn't despair, Liverpool will be able to pick up Erik ten Hag at the end of the season...
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,418

Is there a latter-day Wilf McGuinness or David Moyes waiting in the wings, or is Alonso the man?
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

148grss said:

My grandfather caught covid twice while dying of cancer as a nonogenarian. Was like water off a duck's back. But while he was still lucid, his greatest regret was being unable to see more of his family due to the home he was in being locked down for months at a time. Later, while less lucid, it was painful to watch him not understand why nobody had visited in weeks - we weren't allowed to.

There is more to life than merely existing. And lockdown was a very, very painful existence, for many of us.
    Fantastically well said.

We spent a year following the rules, not visiting my grandparents properly, speaking only from the doorstep when I did visit which is not the same thing - only to have my nan have a fall towards the end of the final lockdown which led to a rapid deterioration in her health. First time I saw her after lockdown she was delirious, bedbound and didn't know who I was. I never saw her again as she then entered a carehome under severe visitation restrictions, whose restrictions meant I couldn't visit her again before she died.

Locking away old people, to die from old age without having loved ones come and visit, or spend last lucid weeks or months with them, in order to prevent some deaths from a natural disease was not a price worth paying.

Even before we get onto the terrible effects it had on children, which are still being seen today and will leave a toxic legacy for decades to come.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

In which case CR would have claimed 78%!

Also it's standard doctrine that you can't control the sea. It's not like the infantry on land. But it would be unfair to start a new ar-, discussion as I have to do some sorting out now, so have a good day.
    This snarkiness, typical of the SNat inferiority complex, is remarkable.

You were absolutely part of it. And it allowed Scotland to punch well above its weight, and shape the world.
  • Options
    Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 7,622
    Liverpool will poach Roberto de Zerbi from Brighton. He's a genius.
    You heard it here first. Maybe.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,021

Scott_xP said:

felix said:

He currently has sufficient power to expel Corbyn, keep the Corbynists away from key seat selections, mould the NEC in his image, and ditch policies advanced under Corbyn.

The left has been utterly impotent, foaming on the sidelines whilst its project has been systematically torn limb from limb over the past four years, yet you expect people to believe they'll come "roaring back" when Starmer is in Number 10? Total balls.
    As the regular witterings of BJO on this very board amply demonstrate.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

From 1939 is when every inhabited continent in the world, except I believe for South America, was engaged somehow in the war.

Battle of the River Plate?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,115

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

There were, I think, Brazilian troops in Italy, on the Allied side.
  • Options
    edited January 26

How long will Alonso need to bed down is the answer, can he start winning things straight away?
    Well the Aston Martin may again surprise at the start of the season, but we’ve consistently seen them relatively unable to develop the car as it progresses.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,059

Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Brazil and Argentina saved their support for Nazis for after the war. The famed Plastic Surgeon Corps of Rio and the False Documents Regiment of Buenos Aires certainly had their moments of glory.
  • Options
    CleitophonCleitophon Posts: 252

Scott_xP said:

felix said:

The hard left is finished. It has a few dinosaurs knocking about, but no numbers. If you want to know what happened to it, look no farther than to the erg, reform, the five families, and the natcons. LeeAnderthal was campaigning for Corbyn just a few years ago. Socialism failed in protecting workers from rampant capitalism, and because capitalism is global, working class people sought refuge in nationalism and the hard right. Now the right must handle the new nationalist iteration of the far left... who hate WEF, Davos, etc. Just to be clear, I am an atlanticist, rejoiner and internationalist. But I can see very clearly the sociological drivers of brexiteerism.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,602
    Leon said:

Bangkok is absolutely RAMMED with Chinese

I hope they're wearing condoms :lol:
This discussion has been closed.