Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Latest from YouGov not good for Sunak – politicalbetting.com

1235»

Comments

• Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,779
    edited October 2023
    Tres said:

DavidL said:

Hadn't realised until I read the excellent article on Israel/Hamas by Jonathan Freedland in The Guardian, that the total Jewish population is only 16 million. It's no wonder there is such a feeling of vulnerability or the anguish felt when others downplay the crimes perpetrated against them. I'm still shocked by the decision of the Scottish Parliament not to fly the Israeli flag in solidarity. Sickened in fact.

Globally? Only 16 million Jews in all the world?
    Must say that I am astonished by that. If you had said 160m I would not have been at all surprised. They have had a remarkable influence for such a small people.
    The two are related though.

Jews have been persecuted for so long, that they've culturally evolved an attitude of needing to work twice as hard to ensure they can succeed. From science, to academia, to comedy and more they've had such an outsized influence because culturally as a group they've never once rested on their laurels or let a persecution complex take them down.
    rubbish footballers though
    9% of the 1966 England team. Definitely punching above their weight.
  • Options
    You'd think from @BartholomewRoberts increasingly hysterical rhetoric that Hamas has either launched rockets at Warrington, or has gunned down dozens of commuters outside Bank Quay station.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,222

EPG said:

Bizarre that a bunch of people who backed Ukraine are now insisting that it's right to drive millions of people from their homes in a campaign of armed conquest.

What the fuck!?

Conquest!?

Are you completely insane or just utterly heartless and evil!?

This is Israel defending themselves from the must brutal, evil, monstrous attack that has been done for decades.

Israel are the ones on the defence here, trying to secure their survival, just like Ukraine.

I wouldn't normally advise this, but if you're going to be so stupid, look at some of the images of what Hamas have done, before you decide to label Israel the bad guys or aggressors here.
    If Ukraine had the ability to bomb the shit out of Moscow, there would be people calling for them to be restrained.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469

Carnyx said:

Hadn't realised until I read the excellent article on Israel/Hamas by Jonathan Freedland in The Guardian, that the total Jewish population is only 16 million. It's no wonder there is such a feeling of vulnerability or the anguish felt when others downplay the crimes perpetrated against them. I'm still shocked by the decision of the Scottish Parliament not to fly the Israeli flag in solidarity. Sickened in fact.

Now the Scottish First Minister is doing a Corbyn and saying that Israel can't defend themselves: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67100374

Sickening.

And what a shock, he's just blaming Israel, no call on Egypt to open the gates and let people out to safety. Of course not, its all Israel's fault that they're defending themselves.
    Where does he say that?
    Literally the first line of the article: Scotland's first minister has said Israel is "going too far" and that innocent civilians in Gaza can not simply be "collateral damage".

Of course its Hamas who use innocent civilians as human shields, which is a war crime.

Of course its Hamas who started this war.

And of course Israel on the other hand has given innocent Gazan civilians a warning to move away, a warning Hamas can hear so that's remarkably generous of Israel to do and is them putting their own soldiers lives at greater risk to protect Gazan lives that Gaza's own government don't give a damn about.

But sure, its Israel going too far.
    His in-laws are trapped in Gaza. So understandably he has a psrticular cause for concern. But he needs to be careful about how he expresses himself. There is a Jewish community in Scotland which will be feeling vulnerable.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Now the Scottish First Minister is doing a Corbyn and saying that Israel can't defend themselves: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67100374

Sickening.

And what a shock, he's just blaming Israel, no call on Egypt to open the gates and let people out to safety. Of course not, its all Israel's fault that they're defending themselves.
    Where does he say that?
    Literally the first line of the article: Scotland's first minister has said Israel is "going too far" and that innocent civilians in Gaza can not simply be "collateral damage".

Of course its Hamas who use innocent civilians as human shields, which is a war crime.

And of course Israel on the other hand has given innocent Gazan civilians a warning to move away, a warning Hamas can hear so that's remarkably generous of Israel to do and is them putting their own soldiers lives at greater risk to protect Gazan lives that Gaza's own government don't give a damn about.

You said 'can't defend'. Thats' what puzzled me. He did not use the verb 'can't'. That is the BBC reportage.In the very first line of the report. If you are going to continue to abuse the English language like that for youjr purposes then there is absolutely no point in discussing anything at all with you. Whatever one's views on the matter.

Yes, that's what he's saying, he's having a go at them for defending themselves.

Cyclefree put it better than I could FPT:
    Hamas is responsible for treating the children in Gaza as expendable by deliberately putting them in harm's way. But far too many seem to think that they should not be blamed for this - only Israel.

The brutal reality is that the Israeli government - like every government - puts the interests of its own citizens first. In the choice between an Israeli child and a Palestinian one they put the former first. The tragedy for Palestinian children is that their own government does not do the same. It is happy for them to be killed. It wants them to be killed. And far too many will ignore this and revert to a comfortable position of blaming Israel for this.

When a people have had such brutality inflicted on them, there is something deeply unpleasant about those not affected telling the victims to turn the other cheek and rise above it all.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,182

DavidL said:

Must say that I am astonished by that. If you had said 160m I would not have been at all surprised. They have had a remarkable influence for such a small people.

Jews have been persecuted for so long, that they've culturally evolved an attitude of needing to work twice as hard to ensure they can succeed. From science, to academia, to comedy and more they've had such an outsized influence because culturally as a group they've never once rested on their laurels or let a persecution complex take them down.
    There's also the point that smart people with professional quals can move internationally quicker, and that this trait was selected for. It wasn't until Israel was set up and a degree of security obtained that the Israeli Jews could afford to fill other niches, moving from the nebbish stereotype to the Sabra: less Woody Allen, more Sacha Baron Cohen so to speak.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2023

Well there was this one time when there was a bit of an incident in which their numbers got reduced a tad....
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Sickening.

Where does he say that?

You said 'can't defend'. Thats' what puzzled me. He did not use the verb 'can't'. That is the BBC reportage.In the very first line of the report. If you are going to continue to abuse the English language like that for youjr purposes then there is absolutely no point in discussing anything at all with you. Whatever one's views on the matter.

The worst are full of passionate intensity.
    Then they start bellowing at folk for not being intensely passionate enough.
    Then they start making shit up.

A few more stages to go unfortunately.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    glw said:

We may be witnessing the total obliteration of Gaza. Political leaders refusing to speak out should feel eternal shame over the horror they are allowing to unfold. Those of us who believe in peace cannot stay silent. We must say to the Palestinian people: you are not alone.

https://x.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1712879651163410505?s=20

I'd like to know what Corbyn does consider an acceptable response by Israel. I suspect it would be so limited as to make it impossible for Israel to defend itself.
    I imagine his solution would be that the Israelis would be allowed to throw soft fruit at dolls dressed up as Hamas "friends" in order to vent their anger....before inviting real Hamas fighters around for a nice cup of tea and a chat.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,893
    Today's interview segment of Ukraine: The Latest is an interview with Senedd Member Labour politician Mick Antoniw AM. He has relations who were deported to Russia after WW2, and re-established contact with his Ukrainian family branch in 1989.

Very interesting - visits to Ukraine with Welsh Trade Union reps (and also I think also possibly Paul Mason)

Deep link.

https://youtu.be/j9LlDLDwCog?t=1666

Scroll back for general news, discussion of the possible poisoning of the News Presenter who was I think the first person fined in 2022 for opposing the war on Russian State Television, and other items.
  • Options

You'd think from @BartholomewRoberts increasingly hysterical rhetoric that Hamas has either launched rockets at Warrington, or has gunned down dozens of commuters outside Bank Quay station.

Not something to joke about, in case you've forgotten I can remember when an IRA bombing murdered 2 boys on Bridge Street, one of whom was at the time my own age at the time he was brutally murdered.

That was bad enough. What Israel has just gone through is so much worse it goes beyond comprehension.

If you have no empathy with that, there's something wrong with you in my eyes. Yes I'm angry, so should you be.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,843
    A

Well there was this one time when there was a bit of an incident in which their numbers got reduced a tad....
    And that was just the most well known.. incident.

For millennia -

“Fuck, it’s boring this Friday. Any idea what we should do?”

“What about a bit of pogromming?”

“I’ll get the lads”
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,622
    edited October 2023
    EPG said:

Bizarre that a bunch of people who backed Ukraine are now insisting that it's right to drive millions of people from their homes in a campaign of armed conquest.

If the Ukrainians had slaughtered a thousand Russians in Belgorod then I'd have a lot less sympathy for them.

Doesn't seem that contradictory really.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,131
    edited October 2023
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12626877/Bus-lane-trap-catches-cars-large-hole-war-motorists.html

Specially for @Eabhal, @JosiasJessop and @MattW.

"Outraged motorists are blaming a local council after driving their cars into a trap guarding a bus lane which they say is writing off their cars.

Locals say up to five motorists a week are caught out by the pit in the carriageway, which they claim has been filled with weeds.

The trap is located at the junction of Station Road and Harrison Way in St Ives, Cambridgeshire, and is designed to prevent private cars from scooting through the bus lane."

Edit: the only disadvantage of this excellent idea is that the chaps with backless gloves end up blocking the bus lane. At least to begin with. You'd think they would cotton on sooner or later, with all those weeds growing in the middle of the road.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,106
    CatMan said:

kle4 said:

I don't like conspiracy theories, but this does seem right as that does not look like a social media post Trump would have dictated at all. Even if the sentiment was the same the style would be way different.

There's a Twitter page that posts all of his "Truth Social" messages. They say it's real:

https://x.com/TrumpDailyPosts/status/1712861443631333731?s=20
    I believe he posted it. I don't believe he wrote it or thought it.

He's never strung together such a coherent sentence in his life, never mind the lack of all caps or self praise.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815
    kle4 said:

CatMan said:

kle4 said:

I don't like conspiracy theories, but this does seem right as that does not look like a social media post Trump would have dictated at all. Even if the sentiment was the same the style would be way different.

There's a Twitter page that posts all of his "Truth Social" messages. They say it's real:

I believe he posted it. I don't believe he wrote it or thought it.

He's never strung together such a coherent sentence in his life, never mind the lack of all caps or self praise.
    Yeah sorry I get that's what you meant now. I think you're right.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

What’s everybody drinking for the war?

Well I've just downed a glass of celery, lettuce and cucumber juice.
    I'm going with a pleasant cremant for the opening offensive, or - if I'm feeling luxe - a proper English fizz. Perhaps Chapel Down, or one of the new ones from Essex

For the annihilation I favour a hearty high altitude Malbec, and plenty of it. We will need the consolation
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,045

EPG said:

What the fuck!?

Conquest!?

This is Israel defending themselves from the must brutal, evil, monstrous attack that has been done for decades.

Israel are the ones on the defence here, trying to secure their survival, just like Ukraine.

I wouldn't normally advise this, but if you're going to be so stupid, look at some of the images of what Hamas have done, before you decide to label Israel the bad guys or aggressors here.
    An armoured ground invasion of the Gaza strip, displacing millions of Palestinians, will look like conquest. There's no getting around that.

You've got very angry every time someone has suggested that this is morally dubious, or even just counter-productive. I'm glad you're not the one making the decisions.

Furthermore, you've repeatedly suggested those making such observations as heartless or evil, including me. We've all seen what Hamas did in Israel. Our concern for the Palestinian people stems from the same place as our outrage at that attack.

• Options
    stodge said:

For NZ tomorrow (polls close 7am UK time), has anyone found any live TV online which doesn't require installing a VPN to watch?

Thanks,

DC

The YouTube live stream from 1News might work, but hasn't started yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o59PTrjiyjs
    Time difference is 12 hours currently so the polls close (I think) at 9am UK time. I suspect the exit poll won't be far off the truth - remember it's an MMP system so constituencies count but party votes count as well.

Just a hint Labour is closing the gap in the final couple of days but far too little and far too late to stop a National-ACT-NZ First Government. It may not be entirely straightforward for National leader Luxon - there's little love lost between ACT and NZ First - all they have really is hoatility towards Labour and the Greens (who may well finish second and third but nowhere near a majority).
    Many thanks @williamglenn, much appreciated!

@stodge polls close 7am UK time so this is the earliest start for an election night anywhere :(

https://vote.nz/2023-general-election/how-to-vote/what-to-do/
  • Options

A

And that was just the most well known.. incident.

For millennia -

“Fuck, it’s boring this Friday. Any idea what we should do?”

“What about a bit of pogromming?”

“I’ll get the lads”
    Indeed. What worries me is the surprise people evince. The Palestinians and their allies have been launching missiles into Israel from various countries and regions for years, with similar murderous results. I referred to an earlier assault in the 2020s a few days ago. Yet this one has achieved traction when the others did not. I can only say what I've said before: PB has no memory.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    How many pbers knew this:

The Exact Number Of Seconds In Six Weeks = 10!
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Carnyx said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12626877/Bus-lane-trap-catches-cars-large-hole-war-motorists.html

"Outraged motorists are blaming a local council after driving their cars into a trap guarding a bus lane which they say is writing off their cars.

Locals say up to five motorists a week are caught out by the pit in the carriageway, which they claim has been filled with weeds.

The trap is located at the junction of Station Road and Harrison Way in St Ives, Cambridgeshire, and is designed to prevent private cars from scooting through the bus lane."

Edit: the only disadvantage of this excellent idea is that the chaps with backless gloves end up blocking the bus lane. At least to begin with. You'd think they would cotton on sooner or later, with all those weeds growing in the middle of the road.

It should be a trapdoor perhaps?

I'll forward this on to my local councillor. Genius.
  • Options

10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1?
    10 factorial in shorthand :)
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Very difficult to counter this logical assessment:

"Cllr Kevin Reynolds from Cambridgeshire County Council has admitted he has little sympathy for the drivers who get stuck.

He said: 'If people driving along that road cannot see a big hole in the ground in front of them then I would argue they wouldn't be able to see a small child.

'I would question whether they should be behind the wheel at all.'"
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

EPG said:

What the fuck!?

Conquest!?

An armoured ground invasion of the Gaza strip, displacing millions of Palestinians, will look like conquest. There's no getting around that.

You've got very angry every time someone has suggested that this is morally dubious, or even just counter-productive. I'm glad you're not the one making the decisions.

Furthermore, you've repeatedly suggested those making such observations as heartless or evil, including me. We've all seen what Hamas did in Israel. Our concern for the Palestinian people stems from the same place as our outrage at that attack.

Because people have been wanting to kill and exterminate Jews for Millenia and Hamas just succeeded with over a thousand more deaths. Israel is meant to be the one country on the planet they're safe from that and they're still not. Hamas must be destroyed, totally and utterly destroyed.

I regret every single innocent Gazan casualty in this war, but not one of their deaths is Israel's fault. The fault is entirely their own "governments" fault who started this war.

Every innocent Gazan death is as tragic as every Russian conscripts death, but Ukraine and Israel need to win their defensive wars.

Someone who claims to recognise and support Palestine should offer innocent Palestinian people a way out of the warzone, but so far the silence on that front is deafening.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

EPG said:

What the fuck!?

Conquest!?

Because people have been wanting to kill and exterminate Jews for Millenia and Hamas just succeeded with over a thousand more deaths. Israel is meant to be the one country on the planet they're safe from that and they're still not. Hamas must be destroyed, totally and utterly destroyed.

I regret every single innocent Gazan casualty in this war, but not one of their deaths is Israel's fault. The fault is entirely their own "governments" fault who started this war.

Every innocent Gazan death is as tragic as every Russian conscripts death, but Ukraine and Israel need to win their defensive wars.

Someone who claims to recognise and support Palestine should offer innocent Palestinian people a way out of the warzone, but so far the silence on that front is deafening.
    Y-axis starts at zero:

• Options
    edited October 2023
    CatMan said:

CatMan said:

kle4 said:

Edit: I realise now that wasn't what you were saying, sorry!
    Those are statements he made about those individuals. I think in a speech in Palm Beach after the attack.

Here he is having a go at Netanyahu and calling Iran, and by implication Hezbollah, vicious and smart. This is at the start of a vid on a YT platform called Midas Touch from lawyers on the the anti-Trump side I follow occasionally, which is reporting the Trump trials multiple times a day in usually 10 minute bites as per Youtube. They pick out the juicy bits of course.

Warning: always has an advert in the middle by the presenter.

They also have very interesting coverage of legal actions over gerrymandered election maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXRpFn1dkys
  • Options

Those Babylonians knew what they were doing.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,792

viewcode said:

10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1?
    At school we used to do 69 factorial to see who had the fastest calculator.

70 factorial was too big a number and gave an error.
  • Options

I didn't know that, but that is a brilliant factoid. Thanks for sharing it.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,995
    viewcode said:

DavidL said:

There's also the point that smart people with professional quals can move internationally quicker, and that this trait was selected for. It wasn't until Israel was set up and a degree of security obtained that the Israeli Jews could afford to fill other niches, moving from the nebbish stereotype to the Sabra: less Woody Allen, more Sacha Baron Cohen so to speak.
    More that Jewish culture thrives on active debate, for example over minutiae of the Torah and Talmud. It is excellent training for academia. Meanwhile most other religions preferred conformity and obedience.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

EPG said:

What the fuck!?

Conquest!?

Honestly, the tone of your posts does not support this statement. Nor does the faux demand on neighbouring countries to take 1.1 million refugees in 24 hours.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited October 2023
    Eabhal said:

Eabhal said:

EPG said:

What the fuck!?

Conquest!?

Honestly, the tone of your posts does not support this statement. Nor does the faux demand on neighbouring countries to take 1.1 million refugees in 24 hours.
    Its not a faux demand, the Gazan government is deliberately putting its civilians in harm way and a million refugees from a warzone is nothing unusual.

Over 6 million refugees have left both of Ukraine and Syria alone.

There is no reason whatsoever safe haven for only 1 or 2 million couldn't be found if people wanted to help Palestinians.

I do regret every Gazan civilian death, but not enough to say that Israel as the defenders in the war can't do absolutely everything they have to do in order to defend themselves.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

More that Jewish culture thrives on active debate, for example over minutiae of the Torah and Talmud. It is excellent training for academia. Meanwhile most other religions preferred conformity and obedience.
    And the emphasis placed on schooling and study, as I understand it.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050
    edited October 2023

Those Babylonians weren't daft.
    I knew that.

Edit. See Lost Password made that point.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,018
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

I am on a train. The onward leg is cancelled. I now have to wait for a hour in the station. Bad train, bad.

On the other hand, I do have a hot snack, a warm waiting room, the internet, no bastards or drunks within view, am within running distance of a reasonable bog, and I don't have to do any work on Sunday. Things could be worse.
    And you will also get a refund on the ticket price. I have almost got to the point where I hope a long distance train journey is 15 minutes late. I'll hardly notice it, but I'll get 25% off my fare
  • Options
    MattW said:

CatMan said:

CatMan said:

kle4 said:

Edit: I realise now that wasn't what you were saying, sorry!
    Those are statements he made about those individuals. I think in a speech in Palm Beach after the attack.

Here he is having a go at Netanyahu and calling Iran, and by implication Hezbollah, vicious and smart. This is at the start of a vid on a YT platform called Midas Touch from lawyers on the the anti-Trump side I follow occasionally, which is reporting the Trump trials multiple times a day in usually 10 minute bites as per Youtube. They pick out the juicy bits of course.

Warning: always has an advert in the middle by the presenter.

They also have very interesting coverage of legal actions over gerrymandered election maps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXRpFn1dkys
    Timed out.

The reverse ferret looks credible as he has landed himself in a deep hole with the previous comments.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

....Sacha Baron Cohen cousin is one Sir Simon Philip Baron-Cohen a very famous clinical psychologist and professor of developmental psychopathology at the University of Cambridge.

There is numerous members of the Baron-Cohen family who are extremely successful in the arts and academia.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,189
    dixiedean said:

I knew that.

But what's special about six weeks?

• Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Jews also have the highest rates of cycling in the UK, after Buddhists. 😉

(Hindus = trains, Muslims = buses).
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,679
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Nobody's perfect.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

I knew that.

It's our teaching Summer Holidays.
    Jesus that seems light years ago.
    Six weeks is how many we've done since.
    Which is the ultimate proof that time is relative.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,189
    dixiedean said:

geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

I knew that.

Now you'll be counting every second in your summerhols

• Options
    edited October 2023
    Foxy said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.
    Although Tibetan Buddhism, and quite a few other Mahayana traditions do the same.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,520

I didn't know that, but that is a brilliant factoid. Thanks for sharing it.
    I always believed that a factoid was an interesting piece of trivia that people believed to be true, but was in fact false.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

I knew that.

Now you'll be counting every second in your summerhols

I'm certainly counting them down to half term!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

I knew that.

As a parent, the Summer Holidays are light years too.

Hence this advert across the pond, which has to be one of the greatest adverts of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz56prGBiS8
  • Options

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

....Sacha Baron Cohen cousin is one Sir Simon Philip Baron-Cohen a very famous clinical psychologist and professor of developmental psychopathology at the University of Cambridge.

There is numerous members of the Baron-Cohen family who are extremely successful in the arts and academia.
    Weirdly, from memory I was (mis?)quoting David Baddeil, who was contrasting the comedy style of Woody Allen (revolving around witty wordplay, whimsy and references) and SBC (more confrontational and physical comedy). It also takes into account that Allen is short and skinny and SBC is quite tall and fit.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

I don't believe that - I self-identified as "non-religious" at both the 2011 and 2021 censuses.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

I knew that.

As a parent, the Summer Holidays are light years too.

Hence this advert across the pond, which has to be one of the greatest adverts of all time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iz56prGBiS8
    Yeah.
    It's far, far too long.
    North America has much longer. Which is why they kick them all off to camp.
  • Options

viewcode said:

10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1?
    Number of seconds in 1 hour = 60 x 60
    Number of seconds in 1 day = 60 x 60 x 24
    Number of seconds in 6 weeks = 60 x 60 x 24 x 7 x 6

= 6 x 7 x 24 x 60 x 60
    = 6 x 7 x (3x8) x (5 x 4 x 3) x (5 x 4 x 3)
    = 6 x 7 x 3 x 8 x 5 x 4 x 5 x 4 x 9
    = 6 x 7 x 3 x 8 x 20 x 5 x 4 x 9
    = 6 x 7 x 3 x 8 x 2 x 10 x 5 x 4 x 9
    = 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 10!
    You showed your workings!

(Faints with pleasure)
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814
    I've moved onto rum & coke with James I and Queen Anne now.

I may as well see in the apocalypse with the Stuarts:

• Options
    geoffw said:

dixiedean said:

I knew that.

Well, it's one and a half lunar cycles, and so it's one-eighth of a lunar year.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

Indeed.
    Although Tibetan Buddhism, and quite a few other Mahayana traditions do the same.
    A friend at Uni was seriously into TB, though I forget which of the four schools it was (at least I think there were fout). I remember the palm-leaf books and the dorje thunderbolt implement/ritual object thingy. Ended up in a perfectly respectable position too.

Scottish Presbyterianism had something of the same flavour in the Lowlands as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

I don't believe that - I self-identified as "non-religious" at both the 2011 and 2021 censuses.
    Comes from the 2021 census, and based on what people declare as their religion.

There are only two categories where "No religion" outnumber the religious - motorcycling and cycling.
  • Options

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

viewcode said:

DavidL said:

You shouldn't lie about your religion in the Census. I'm still pissed off about the Jedi. At least with the Sith you only need to count two people. :)
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    edited October 2023

New Thread

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815
    This thread has been cancelled due to Mod shortages
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

10*9*8*7*6*5*4*3*2*1?
    Number of seconds in 1 hour = 60 x 60
    Number of seconds in 1 day = 60 x 60 x 24
    Number of seconds in 6 weeks = 60 x 60 x 24 x 7 x 6

= 6 x 7 x 24 x 60 x 60
    = 6 x 7 x (3x8) x (5 x 4 x 3) x (5 x 4 x 3)
    = 6 x 7 x 3 x 8 x 5 x 4 x 5 x 4 x 9
    = 6 x 7 x 3 x 8 x 20 x 5 x 4 x 9
    = 6 x 7 x 3 x 8 x 2 x 10 x 5 x 4 x 9
    = 10 x 9 x 8 x 7 x 6 x 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 10!
    You showed your workings!

(Faints with pleasure)
    Had you been a bookie's settler, our workings were always a huge shrug.
    How do you know what a 50p Yankee with three winners at 15/8, 100/30 and 7/4, with two non runners and a 40p, rule 4 deduction with tax paid is instantly?
    We just did. It was our job.
    All day. Every day.
  • Options
    RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Posts: 1,169
    Wouldn't surprise me if Humsa gets a polling boost in the next Scotland poll. Lots of sympathy towards him and his family given the situation with his parents in-law and he's handled the Israel-Gaza conflict pretty well.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

"Cllr Kevin Reynolds from Cambridgeshire County Council has admitted he has little sympathy for the drivers who get stuck.

He said: 'If people driving along that road cannot see a big hole in the ground in front of them then I would argue they wouldn't be able to see a small child.

It's the St Ives, Cambs end of the Cambridge Guided Busway. The Daily Mail is just cranking up he outrage bus as per any day with D in it.

The Daily Mail has cropped out from it's photos the two huge "No Entry" signs, the "Danger ! Car trap" signs, and does not mention the two "No Through Road" signs set at the previous junction.

(Edit: Forget to mention the ginormous "GUIDED BUSES ONLY" decals painted in the lane.)

The main complainant says they have lived in St Ives for 15 years, and the road feature to physically stop twits (I'm being polite) driving their motor vehicles onto the guided busway has been in place since at least 2014 (and is on Streetview). Part of that is to save them from themselves.

There have been problems in the past with dozy drivers taking their cars up the guided busway and blocking it.

I'm inclined to suggest that the driver's license be revoked, or they submit themselves to an eyesight test at their optician.

I would be interested in a local view if anyone is on PB tonight.

Streetview, 2014
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3217158,-0.068605,3a,51.7y,121.81h,88.44t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVOgHsXVNv1kvxRo_JS3vzQ!2e0!5s20140901T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,229
    viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

darkage said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

'Lloyds Bank Offers 30,000 Staff Paid BUPA Counselling if Triggered By Conservative Party Conference Trans Rhetoric “Fuelling Hate”
    https://x.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1712807316221743227?s=20
    https://x.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1712808597300654555?s=20

Haha, that's brilliant! It illustrates just how deeply the Nasty Party's reputation has permeated society.
    Brilliant. Really? Some women are pretty pissed off at having men be described as women and insulted if they object. Do they get offered counselling too? Because if they don't that's probably discrimination contrary to the law. And there is nothing brilliant about that. At all.

Though it's all too typical of some men to think so.

I expect this story is being blown up (I wonder why) when what actually happened was company HR comms reminding people there is a paid for BUPA counselling facility for anyone suffering from anxiety and other mental health issues.

Our place has a counselling service like this. It's open to everyone. And from time to time if something upsetting happens that might affect a group of employees the firm sends around a message reminding people counselling is available.
    You are half right about this. But the article on Guido quotes the director of HR at Lloyds Bank as saying they are.... "appalled to hear the rhetoric coming from the Conservative Party Conference this week, targeting the trans and non-binary community. Hearing language that fuels hate and division is shocking".

The point cyclefree made about this is correct .... what about people who work in these organisations who perhaps have a different view of this issue? These kind of statements are extremely divisive. It just seems to me like it would be better if banks are impartial and apolitical.
    There’s a big difference between such an email in the aftermath of a terrorist attack or a war starting, and the same sort of language being used to describe the words used at a mainstream political conference, to which their staff might be expected to have a wide range of views on the subject.
    I honestly don't think the email was very wisely worded; an email just reminding staff that the counselling service is available would have been fine.

My point was that the email evidences how badly the the Tories come across when they try to through red meat to their hard-line supporters.

It would be the same for Labour if they played to their hard-core but they are wisely focused on convincing the country.
    Some of us see it totally the opposite way, that’s an illustration of just how far down the rabbit-hole large corporate HR departments have already gone.

At best, it comes across as a listed company taking sides in an ongoing political social debate that doesn’t affect them directly. Fair enough if they want to take a view on proposed banking legislation, or if they want to send out a generic email about the availability of mental health services.
    I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if the email has been prompted by a hate attack on a staff member. I know for a fact that a trans member of staff at the FCA suffered such an attack last week following the PM's speech.
    what was the hate attack , punch in the chops or called him him instead of they or whatever. Problem nowadays is "hate" crime is pathetic as it can range from the totally absurb to something meaningful.
    I believe it was verbal abuse focused on the being a trans person so it would not meet the Malcolm 'meaningful' threshold. But the law is the law.
    Fair point. But to Malcolm ferocious verbal abuse is just his way of saying "good morning"
    Woosy if you cannot take a bit of verbal
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

darkage said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

'Lloyds Bank Offers 30,000 Staff Paid BUPA Counselling if Triggered By Conservative Party Conference Trans Rhetoric “Fuelling Hate”

Haha, that's brilliant! It illustrates just how deeply the Nasty Party's reputation has permeated society.
    Brilliant. Really? Some women are pretty pissed off at having men be described as women and insulted if they object. Do they get offered counselling too? Because if they don't that's probably discrimination contrary to the law. And there is nothing brilliant about that. At all.

I expect this story is being blown up (I wonder why) when what actually happened was company HR comms reminding people there is a paid for BUPA counselling facility for anyone suffering from anxiety and other mental health issues.

Our place has a counselling service like this. It's open to everyone. And from time to time if something upsetting happens that might affect a group of employees the firm sends around a message reminding people counselling is available.
    You are half right about this. But the article on Guido quotes the director of HR at Lloyds Bank as saying they are.... "appalled to hear the rhetoric coming from the Conservative Party Conference this week, targeting the trans and non-binary community. Hearing language that fuels hate and division is shocking".

The point cyclefree made about this is correct .... what about people who work in these organisations who perhaps have a different view of this issue? These kind of statements are extremely divisive. It just seems to me like it would be better if banks are impartial and apolitical.
    There’s a big difference between such an email in the aftermath of a terrorist attack or a war starting, and the same sort of language being used to describe the words used at a mainstream political conference, to which their staff might be expected to have a wide range of views on the subject.
    I honestly don't think the email was very wisely worded; an email just reminding staff that the counselling service is available would have been fine.

My point was that the email evidences how badly the the Tories come across when they try to through red meat to their hard-line supporters.

It would be the same for Labour if they played to their hard-core but they are wisely focused on convincing the country.
    Some of us see it totally the opposite way, that’s an illustration of just how far down the rabbit-hole large corporate HR departments have already gone.

At best, it comes across as a listed company taking sides in an ongoing political social debate that doesn’t affect them directly. Fair enough if they want to take a view on proposed banking legislation, or if they want to send out a generic email about the availability of mental health services.
    I don't know but I wouldn't be surprised if the email has been prompted by a hate attack on a staff member. I know for a fact that a trans member of staff at the FCA suffered such an attack last week following the PM's speech.
    what was the hate attack , punch in the chops or called him him instead of they or whatever. Problem nowadays is "hate" crime is pathetic as it can range from the totally absurb to something meaningful.
    I believe it was verbal abuse focused on the being a trans person so it would not meet the Malcolm 'meaningful' threshold. But the law is the law.
    Fair point. But to Malcolm ferocious verbal abuse is just his way of saying "good morning"
    Woosy if you cannot take a bit of verbal
    And a good evening to you too 😀
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,237

TimS said:

TimS said:

glw said:

We may be witnessing the total obliteration of Gaza. Political leaders refusing to speak out should feel eternal shame over the horror they are allowing to unfold. Those of us who believe in peace cannot stay silent. We must say to the Palestinian people: you are not alone.

https://x.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1712879651163410505?s=20

I'd like to know what Corbyn does consider an acceptable response by Israel. I suspect it would be so limited as to make it impossible for Israel to defend itself.
    I think we know what his acceptable response would be. Lay down and accept annihilation.
    Do these people ever wonder why their brains are programmed to reserve particular ire for bad things done by Jews? Versus, for example , bad things done by President Assad, or the Ayatollahs, or indeed the Chinese in Xinjiang. Corbyn wasn't the world's most vocal when the Serbs were slaughtering Muslims either. But when Jews do it, well then it becomes worthy of Corbyn's comment.

People talk about moral equivalence. Well I would like to see a moral equivalence that doesn't single out violence by Jews for condemnation. Every bloody time.
    Since you raise Assad, there's plenty of hypocrisy to go round. Assad faced an Islamist uprising, and was roundly condemned for his 'targeting of civilians', but now Gaza is being obliterated, we've all miraculously realised that Islamist militants seek shelter within civilian buildings, and are making allowances accordingly.
    I was going to comment on this but JosiasJessop did the job. The Assad regime is on another plane of brutality, malignancy and willingness to commit war crimes. He gassed his own people. And despite that, when violent Islamists seized control of swathes of Syria and Iraq NATO countries bombed them into oblivion. Hardly turned a blind eye.

Yes people should hold Israel to account for its actions like any other power, but there is a notable taste amongst some on the far left and Islamist right to single out Jewish power in a way no other ethnic group gets. It’s the mental product of 2 millennia of anti-Semitic cultural tropes.

That is a somewhat peculiar version of events in Syria but never mind.

I am sure that you have a good point in your thoughts about the general attitude to Israel, but I was dealing with the hypocrisy here on PB, where the basics of dealing with an Islamist insurrection are completely lost on us all one minute, but apparently understood to be common knowledge the next.
    LOL. Need I remind you - and everyone else - of the many peculiar version of events that you gave over the MH17 shootdown? I'd argue that went sailing merrily through 'hypocrisy' and into outright deception.

When Assad used chemical weapons, he was not using them against an 'Islamist insurrection'. The situation was far, far, more complex than that. Again, you are feeding PB a Russian line.

Why?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,237
    MattW said:

Carnyx said:

Eabhal said:

Carnyx said:

It's the St Ives, Cambs end of the Cambridge Guided Busway. The Daily Mail is just cranking up he outrage bus as per any day with D in it.

The Daily Mail has cropped out from it's photos the two huge "No Entry" signs, the "Danger ! Car trap" signs, and does not mention the two "No Through Road" signs set at the previous junction.

(Edit: Forget to mention the ginormous "GUIDED BUSES ONLY" decals painted in the lane.)

The main complainant says they have lived in St Ives for 15 years, and the road feature to physically stop twits (I'm being polite) driving their motor vehicles onto the guided busway has been in place since at least 2014 (and is on Streetview). Part of that is to save them from themselves.

There have been problems in the past with dozy drivers taking their cars up the guided busway and blocking it.

I'm inclined to suggest that the driver's license be revoked, or they submit themselves to an eyesight test at their optician.

I would be interested in a local view if anyone is on PB tonight.

Streetview, 2014
    https://www.google.com/maps/@52.3217158,-0.068605,3a,51.7y,121.81h,88.44t/data=!3m7!1e1!3m5!1sVOgHsXVNv1kvxRo_JS3vzQ!2e0!5s20140901T000000!7i13312!8i6656?entry=ttu
    I know that area well - was there the other day. And... wat for it... you can guess it...

I've run that junction many times!

I have a teensy bit if sympathy for drivers who get caught out by it, especially ay night, and especially as there is a large car park very near by (the Cattle Market), and an exit from the car park leads out onto that road, meaning you have to take a trip through St Ives' back streets to get to the main road, initially heading away from it.

But really, it should have been reopened as a railway line or tramway, rather the overly expensive and troublesome misguided bus system.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,868
    THIS THREAD HAS DEFECTED TO THE TORIES
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,229

viewcode said:

malcolmg said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

darkage said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Lol.

I wonder though, would Malcolm think it's ok to shout N****** at a black person or P*** at an Asian person?
    Never ever Ben @Benpointer
This discussion has been closed.