Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Latest from YouGov not good for Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    theProletheProle Posts: 951
    edited October 2023

moonshine said:

Thinking about the water situation in Gaza. Presumably the relevant factor is not the cutting off of the mains supply that was not in any case potable, but the inventory levels of bottled water.

Why is Egypt not receiving the same opprobrium for shutting its border to Gaza for new supplies of food and bottled water? I see it was reported as being closed from Tuesday.

Criticising Egypt doesn't fit a simple Jew vs Muslim narrative.

Though, in fairness to Egypt, Israel have said they will bomb any attempt to provide supplies to Gaza, and Egypt and Jordan have been discussing trying to send supplies in.

The issue of the border with Egypt will become more relevant after Israeli troops enter Gaza, and civilians become more desperate to escape the fighting. Egypt will have to explain why its border is closed to Gazan civilians looking for a refuge.
    Out of interest, what in practice stops those in Gaza going for the currently fashionable method of travel in the Mediterranean and getting into small boats to head down to beach to Egypt, or even across the Med to Europe? Is it a lack of will by the population and/or boats to do so? Are the Egyptian better at keeping boats out than the EU or UK, or the are Israelis blockading the coast?

Genuine curiosity here, as whilst obviously this isn't remotely viable for all the 2 million in Gaza, if I was stuck there it would be high on my list of options to try.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    theProle said:

moonshine said:

Thinking about the water situation in Gaza. Presumably the relevant factor is not the cutting off of the mains supply that was not in any case potable, but the inventory levels of bottled water.

Why is Egypt not receiving the same opprobrium for shutting its border to Gaza for new supplies of food and bottled water? I see it was reported as being closed from Tuesday.

Criticising Egypt doesn't fit a simple Jew vs Muslim narrative.

Though, in fairness to Egypt, Israel have said they will bomb any attempt to provide supplies to Gaza, and Egypt and Jordan have been discussing trying to send supplies in.

The issue of the border with Egypt will become more relevant after Israeli troops enter Gaza, and civilians become more desperate to escape the fighting. Egypt will have to explain why its border is closed to Gazan civilians looking for a refuge.
    Out of interest, what in practice stops those in Gaza going for the currently fashionable method of travel in the Mediterranean and getting into small boats to head down to beach to Egypt, or even across the Med to Europe? Is it a lack of will by the population and/or boats to do so? Are the Egyptian better at keeping boats out than the EU or UK, or the are Israelis blockading the coast?

Genuine curiosity here, as whilst obviously this isn't remotely viable for all the 2 million in Gaza, if I was stuck there I would be high on my list of options to try.
    Israel has blockades the port.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,547
    Ghedebrav said:

Just on my way down to London from Manc. Genuine announcement at Piccadilly: “This train has been cancelled due to a short notice cancellation.”

I once had “this train has been cancelled due to a member of the train crew being unavailable due to a member of the train crew being unavailable on an earlier train.”
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

Just on my way down to London from Manc. Genuine announcement at Piccadilly: “This train has been cancelled due to a short notice cancellation.”

Perhaps some of the Tory spin doctors stayed on and sought fresh employment after Rishi's speech.
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,056
    boulay said:

In this terrible time I can bring a bit of joy to Pb to announce that someone has paired Haggis with Pineapple joining all sides on this site. Sadly I could only take a screen shot and so we don’t get the backing track of Radiohead to truly make this a PB moment to remember.

If TSE ever comes for dinner, that’s what I’m serving!
  • Options
    FairlieredFairliered Posts: 4,056

Ghedebrav said:

Perhaps some of the Tory spin doctors stayed on and sought fresh employment after Rishi's speech.
    This train has been cancelled due to Mancunians not being welcome in London.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,071
    If the west paid Egypt a very large sum of money do we think they might deal with Hamas? They've had issues with ISIS and the brotherhood so perhaps they are too weak internally but you sense Israel trying to push Hamas towards them.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815
    kle4 said:

I don't like conspiracy theories, but this does seem right as that does not look like a social media post Trump would have dictated at all. Even if the sentiment was the same the style would be way different.

There's a Twitter page that posts all of his "Truth Social" messages. They say it's real:

https://x.com/TrumpDailyPosts/status/1712861443631333731?s=20
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    kinabalu said:

kle4 said:

Cookie said:

kinabalu said:

darkage said:

What becomes more and more clear to me about the 'woke' stuff is that people don't understand it. If you understand what is going on you have an enormous advantage in your working life. That email on the Guido website looks to me like a career ender, as was the case for the people involved in the debanking of Nigel Farage.

"the debanking of Nigel Farage"

This phrase makes me giggle - as if I'm being tickled.
    Did anyone lose a job over the debanking of Nigel Farage (you're welcome) - or did everyone just shrug and move on - the sorts of people holding the power to remove people from their jobs not really aeeing why the debanking of Nigel Farage is a problem?
    The Chief Executive had to quit.
    Yep, and Farage continues to bank but elsewhere. He won, I'd say. Great publicity for him. An important issue too. I recall he pledged to press on and fight for all the unbanked.
    And the value of a Farage pledge - any Farage pledge - is roughly the same as a Johnson pledge, but without the teeniest possibility he'll ever be in power, anywhere, to even try to do anything about it.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

kle4 said:

I don't like conspiracy theories, but this does seem right as that does not look like a social media post Trump would have dictated at all. Even if the sentiment was the same the style would be way different.

There's a Twitter page that posts all of his "Truth Social" messages. They say it's real:

It may be a real "Tweet" sent from his account.

Not a chance its one he wrote of his own volition by himself though.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

kle4 said:

Edit: I realise now that wasn't what you were saying, sorry!
  • Options
    The United States has reportedly given the “Green Light” to Israel for them to conduct any Operation which they deem Necessary in order to Confront any Threat, on any Front, in any Geography.
  • Options
    GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,038

If the west paid Egypt a very large sum of money do we think they might deal with Hamas? They've had issues with ISIS and the brotherhood so perhaps they are too weak internally but you sense Israel trying to push Hamas towards them.

Sisi is nobody’s fool and will be biding his time. Guaranteed he wants absolutely nothing to do with Hamas and the last thing Egypt needs is a load more fundamentalist militants in Sinai.
  • Options

The United States has reportedly given the “Green Light” to Israel for them to conduct any Operation which they deem Necessary in order to Confront any Threat, on any Front, in any Geography.

Damn right. 👍
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927
    Worth noting apart from New Zealand we have a parliamentary election in Poland on Sunday.

As in NZ, the incumbent Government is facing a tough election but whereas defeat looks certain for Labour in New Zealand, the Law & Justice Party still have a chnce of survival.

In 2019, Law & Justice won 235 seats in the 460-seat Sejm, an overall majority of 10, based on a 16 point lead over the opposition Civic Coalition who won 134.

The latest polls suggest that gap has been reduced significantly to between two and seven points and it now looks possible the alliance of Civic Coalition, The Left and the Third Way will have enough seats to form their own majority with Law & Justice losing 40-60 seats.

It looked possible earlier in the week Law & Justice could cobble a majority together with the far right Confederation electoral bloc but more recent polls suggest this is less likely but it's going to be a fascinating Sunday evening.

A change of Government in Warsaw could change the political dynamic of much of eastern Europe.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,162
    Ghedebrav said:

I hope you don't have to stand up the whole way.
  • Options
    boulay said:

In this terrible time I can bring a bit of joy to Pb to announce that someone has paired Haggis with Pineapple joining all sides on this site. Sadly I could only take a screen shot and so we don’t get the backing track of Radiohead to truly make this a PB moment to remember.

The image seems a bit blurry to me, before I read your text I thought that was a brisket topped with mac and cheese.

Think I'd rather have that than haggis and pineapple.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,300

boulay said:

To complete the culinary circle, there needs to be a haggis pizza.
  • Options

Does that include targetting US university campuses?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Ghedebrav said:

I hope you don't have to stand up the whole way.
    All good. The only irritation beyond delay is the train manager [sic] has a bad case of ‘frustrated air steward’ with a five minute spiel at every stop.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2023
    Bibi up now.

He is saying this is just the start, only deployed a tiny proportion of what is to come. It will take time, but spoken to our allies and they support our mission to eradicate Hamas.

Again big words, it really doesn't feel like this time the US will say "leave it, its not worth, lets go and get a kebab instead" after a few days.
  • Options
    Re Haggis: one of the foods where the veggie version is imvho entirely the equal of the animal one.
  • Options
    DoubleCarpetDoubleCarpet Posts: 712
    edited October 2023
    For NZ tomorrow (polls close 7am UK time), has anyone found any live TV online which doesn't require installing a VPN to watch?

Thanks,

DC
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,336
    edited October 2023
    We may be witnessing the total obliteration of Gaza. Political leaders refusing to speak out should feel eternal shame over the horror they are allowing to unfold. Those of us who believe in peace cannot stay silent. We must say to the Palestinian people: you are not alone.

https://x.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1712879651163410505?s=20
  • Options

For NZ tomorrow (polls close 7am UK time), has anyone found any live TV online which doesn't require installing a VPN to watch?

Thanks,

DC

The YouTube live stream from 1News might work, but hasn't started yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o59PTrjiyjs
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,242

boulay said:

That sounds ace
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Thanks,

DC

I was just about to ask for help with this. Don't think I've watched a NZ election night show before. I wonder whether they have UK-style declarations.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Ghedebrav said:

malcolmg said:

Cyclefree said:

Responded to @maxh on previous thread, if he (or anyone else) is interested.

Completely off topic, parts of Glasgow are really very attractive. There is a wonderful Continental feel to much of the architecture. The flat I am staying in reminds me very much of the flat I grew up in in Italy. It is - at such a time - very comforting.

And the weather is lovely. And the conference I'm attending very inspiring.

Until recently, my previous experiences of Glasgow had been conferences in modern halls; changing trains at stations, and the very centre. Then I spent a couple of days walking around it (e.g. along the canal, and down from Milngavie), and found parts of it were surprisingly pleasant. Even as pleasant as Edinburgh in places. And yes, that is high praise from me. :)

Edit: But Glasgow could make more of its canal, as it does its riverfront.
    They could do much much more with the waterfront for certain, though it is very nice and lots of great restaurants and things to do.
    Bloody love Glasgow. Easily one of my favourite cities in the UK; cracking people. Similar to Liverpool and Belfast in terms of just great craic on a night out.
    Recommendation: The Burrell Collection. Its not in the city centre and you need to take a bus. A quite extraordinary collection of artefacts and artworks in a purpose-built gallery in a country park. And becausr it's a bit of an effort its relatively quiet. And the bus trip itself is quite worthwhile if you're new to Glasgow going through the pretty desperate-looking southside out into the leafier suburbd.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,679

boulay said:

Haggis Pizza is very popular up here, and quite delicious, especially with red onion.
  • Options
    nico679nico679 Posts: 5,103
    edited October 2023
    stodge said:

Worth noting apart from New Zealand we have a parliamentary election in Poland on Sunday.

As in NZ, the incumbent Government is facing a tough election but whereas defeat looks certain for Labour in New Zealand, the Law & Justice Party still have a chnce of survival.

In 2019, Law & Justice won 235 seats in the 460-seat Sejm, an overall majority of 10, based on a 16 point lead over the opposition Civic Coalition who won 134.

The latest polls suggest that gap has been reduced significantly to between two and seven points and it now looks possible the alliance of Civic Coalition, The Left and the Third Way will have enough seats to form their own majority with Law & Justice losing 40-60 seats.

It looked possible earlier in the week Law & Justice could cobble a majority together with the far right Confederation electoral bloc but more recent polls suggest this is less likely but it's going to be a fascinating Sunday evening.

A change of Government in Warsaw could change the political dynamic of much of eastern Europe.

The Law and Justice which is ironic given they’re trashing Polish democracy . Openly offering bribes to more rural voters but ignoring cities . The state broadcaster is a mouthpiece for the government. They have also brought in a law limiting the time for votes to be counted overseas . Effectively if they’ve not reported within 24 hours of polls closing they’re invalidated , whereas in Poland they have till Tuesday morning . A record 600,000 have registered to vote overseas but these votes only count towards the Warsaw result . There’s not a separate list for overseas . Because of the PR system rural votes count more as you need less per seat .

It will be a miracle if the opposition can win . Dubious referendum questions added to the parliamentary vote are also designed to help the government.

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,233

Thanks,

DC

The results from the Australian referendum on the Voice for Aboriginals is also tomorrow morning, so a big morning of elections in Australasia
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,233
    edited October 2023
    nico679 said:

stodge said:

The Law and Justice which is ironic given they’re trashing Polish democracy . Openly offering bribes to more rural voters but ignoring cities . The state broadcaster is a mouthpiece for the government. They have also brought in a law limiting the time for votes to be counted overseas . Effectively if they’ve not reported within 24 hours of polls closing they’re invalidated , whereas in Poland they have till Tuesday morning . A record 600,000 have registered to vote overseas but these votes only count towards the Warsaw result . There’s not a separate list for overseas . Because of the PR system rural votes count more as you need less per seat .

It will be a miracle if the opposition can win . Dubious referendum questions added to the parliamentary vote are also designed to help the government.

Even in Poland, cities and towns combined outnumber rural areas and if rural areas manage to elect a government that represents their concerns good luck to them
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    edited October 2023

We may be witnessing the total obliteration of Gaza. Political leaders refusing to speak out should feel eternal shame over the horror they are allowing to unfold. Those of us who believe in peace cannot stay silent. We must say to the Palestinian people: you are not alone.

I'd like to know what Corbyn does consider an acceptable response by Israel. I suspect it would be so limited as to make it impossible for Israel to defend itself.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,967

boulay said:

Haggis Pizza is very popular up here, and quite delicious, especially with red onion.
    Anything offally tasting paired with acidic fruit generally works, so I expect haggis and pineapple would. Just one step away from foie gras and apple compote.
  • Options

boulay said:

Loads of em and very nice they are too.
  • Options

boulay said:

I like haggis and I like pizza but I have tried haggis pizza and, no, they don't go together well.

• Options
    edited October 2023
    glw said:

I'd like to know what Corbyn does consider an acceptable response by Israel. I suspect it would be so limited as to make it impossible for Israel to defend itself.
    I think we know what his acceptable response would be. Lay down and accept annihilation.
    Do these people ever wonder why their brains are programmed to reserve particular ire for bad things done by Jews? Versus, for example , bad things done by President Assad, or the Ayatollahs, or indeed the Chinese in Xinjiang. Corbyn wasn't the world's most vocal when the Serbs were slaughtering Muslims either. But when Jews do it, well then it becomes worthy of Corbyn's comment.

People talk about moral equivalence. Well I would like to see a moral equivalence that doesn't single out violence by Jews for condemnation. Every bloody time.
  • Options
    nico679 said:

stodge said:

My metropolitan elite liberal type colleagues from Poland find the whole thing thoroughly depressing. They are in the kind of state of resigned despair that US Democrats felt in 2016.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,927

Thanks,

DC

The YouTube live stream from 1News might work, but hasn't started yet:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o59PTrjiyjs
    Time difference is 12 hours currently so the polls close (I think) at 9am UK time. I suspect the exit poll won't be far off the truth - remember it's an MMP system so constituencies count but party votes count as well.

Just a hint Labour is closing the gap in the final couple of days but far too little and far too late to stop a National-ACT-NZ First Government. It may not be entirely straightforward for National leader Luxon - there's little love lost between ACT and NZ First - all they have really is hoatility towards Labour and the Greens (who may well finish second and third but nowhere near a majority).
  • Options
    TimS said:

boulay said:

Anything offally tasting paired with acidic fruit generally works, so I expect haggis and pineapple would. Just one step away from foie gras and apple compote.
    Digestively it would be good, as pineapple is full of enzymes. Not sure about the textures of the dish on display though. I'd take some haggis bonbons (breadcrumbed) with some pineapple salsa.

Still, there's always the Balblair...
  • Options

boulay said:

I like haggis and I like pizza but I have tried haggis pizza and, no, they don't go together well.

Thin crust and haggis just moist enough not to dry out, chef’s kiss etc.
    Neeps & tatties nowhere near it obvs.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    What’s everybody drinking for the war?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,791

boulay said:

The image seems a bit blurry to me, before I read your text I thought that was a brisket topped with mac and cheese.

Macaroni cheese.

This ain't America.
  • Options
    ohnotnowohnotnow Posts: 2,993

boulay said:

Haggis pakora on the other hand, is a thing of joy.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,080

TimS said:

boulay said:

Digestively it would be good, as pineapple is full of enzymes. Not sure about the textures of the dish on display though. I'd take some haggis bonbons (breadcrumbed) with some pineapple salsa.

I just can’t wait for the “Great Pineapple riot of 2024” where Scots erupt as the curious interest in the idea of pineapple with haggis gets tried out up and down the country on Burns night. Little did they know it was started by a fake picture posted on an obscure political website by an agent of the secret English Special Operations Executive to undermine Scottish confidence. And then agent Boulay moves on to convince the Welsh that Laverbread should be made with real burning lava.
  • Options
    TimS said:

glw said:

I think we know what his acceptable response would be. Lay down and accept annihilation.
    Do these people ever wonder why their brains are programmed to reserve particular ire for bad things done by Jews? Versus, for example , bad things done by President Assad, or the Ayatollahs, or indeed the Chinese in Xinjiang. Corbyn wasn't the world's most vocal when the Serbs were slaughtering Muslims either. But when Jews do it, well then it becomes worthy of Corbyn's comment.

People talk about moral equivalence. Well I would like to see a moral equivalence that doesn't single out violence by Jews for condemnation. Every bloody time.
    Since you raise Assad, there's plenty of hypocrisy to go round. Assad faced an Islamist uprising, and was roundly condemned for his 'targeting of civilians', but now Gaza is being obliterated, we've all miraculously realised that Islamist militants seek shelter within civilian buildings, and are making allowances accordingly.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,791
    Leon said:

Well I've just downed a glass of celery, lettuce and cucumber juice.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,832
    edited October 2023

boulay said:

I think this casts an important light on the whole Darrien gap episode - they were seeking something that'd help make haggis tasty.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,179
    stodge said:

Do you know, I really should have paid more attention to this. Thank you Stodge. 😀
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,873
    Ghedebrav said:

Don't see that one on the official list, though think I've heard it. 693 looks close but no cigar.

https://wiki.openraildata.com/index.php/Darwin:Cancellation_reason_codes_and_text
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,233

TimS said:

glw said:

Since you raise Assad, there's plenty of hypocrisy to go round. Assad faced an Islamist uprising, and was roundly condemned for his 'targeting of civilians', but now Gaza is being obliterated, we've all miraculously realised that Islamist militants seek shelter within civilian buildings, and are making allowances accordingly.
    That's a rather remarkable rewriting of history, as we might expect from the (ahem) unique sources you apparently use on the Internet.

"Popular discontent with the Ba'athist government led to large-scale protests and pro-democracy rallies across Syria in March 2011 as part of the wider Arab Spring protests in the region.[68][69] Numerous protests were violently suppressed by security forces in deadly crackdowns ordered by Bashar al-Assad, resulting in tens of thousands of deaths and detentions.[68][69] The Syrian revolution transformed into an insurgency with the formation of resistance militias across the country, deteriorating into a full-blown civil war by 2012.[a]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_civil_war

And this was what those protestors were protesting about:
    ". Critics of the regime have pointed out that deployment of violence is at the crux of Ba'athist Syria and describe it as "a dictatorship with genocidal tendencies".[95] Hafez ruled Syria for 3 decades with an iron first; using methods ranging from censorship to violent measures of state terror such as mass murders, forced deportations and brutal practices such as torture, which were unleashed collectively upon the civilian population.[96] Upon Hafez al-Assad's death in 2000, his son Bashar al-Assad succeeded him as the President of Syria.[95]"
  • Options
    Omnium said:

boulay said:

I think this casts an important light on the whole Darrien gap episode - they were seeking something that'd help make haggis tasty.
    Luckily they didn’t mix it up with the Durian gap. Not sure that goes with anything.
  • Options

boulay said:

Macaroni cheese.

This ain't America.
    And you aren't Yannis Varoufakis :smiley:
  • Options

boulay said:

Macaroni cheese.

This ain't America.
    I did once choose a macaroni cheese burger with chips from a works canteen. This literally meant the "burger" itself was made of a formed macaroni cheese pattie. It wasn't the most balanced meal I ever ate.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

Ghedebrav said:

Don't see that one on the official list, though think I've heard it. 693 looks close but no cigar.

https://wiki.openraildata.com/index.php/Darwin:Cancellation_reason_codes_and_text
    Crikey, it's the motherlode!

I am somewhat distressed that 666 isn't "This train has been cancelled due to the Apocalypse". Charles Stross should use it. 😀
  • Options
    boulay said:

TimS said:

boulay said:

I just can’t wait for the “Great Pineapple riot of 2024” where Scots erupt as the curious interest in the idea of pineapple with haggis gets tried out up and down the country on Burns night. Little did they know it was started by a fake picture posted on an obscure political website by an agent of the secret English Special Operations Executive to undermine Scottish confidence. And then agent Boulay moves on to convince the Welsh that Laverbread should be made with real burning lava.
    I have had Laverbread. It's like eating something unpleasant with salt. I appreciate that's not a good analogy, but it covered the basics. I think the best you could say is it did not make me vom.
  • Options
    BurgessianBurgessian Posts: 2,469
    Hadn't realised until I read the excellent article on Israel/Hamas by Jonathan Freedland in The Guardian, that the total Jewish population is only 16 million. It's no wonder there is such a feeling of vulnerability or the anguish felt when others downplay the crimes perpetrated against them. I'm still shocked by the decision of the Scottish Parliament not to fly the Israeli flag in solidarity. Sickened in fact.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,814
    Leon said:

Only the best.

• Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,225
    England B team vs Australia HT report: the only real excitement was when a fight broke out briefly. Unfortunately it didn't turn into a mass brawl. Otherwise boring so far.
  • Options
    I am on a train. The onward leg is cancelled. I now have to wait for a hour in the station. Bad train, bad.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Wow, forgot this was still a thing:

Fines to be issued for Covid Christmas party at Tory HQ
    " Police have made referrals for 24 fixed penalty notices for people who attended a Christmas party at Conservative Party HQ in 2020, for breaching Covid rules.
    The event was held for Tory activists involved in Shaun Bailey's unsuccessful campaign to become London mayor.
    Lord Bailey has previously apologised for the gathering, at which people were invited to "jingle and mingle", while indoor socialising was banned.
    An inquiry into an event in Parliament six days earlier is continuing.
    "

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-67106804
  • Options
    edited October 2023

TimS said:

glw said:

I was going to comment on this but JosiasJessop did the job. The Assad regime is on another plane of brutality, malignancy and willingness to commit war crimes. He gassed his own people. And despite that, when violent Islamists seized control of swathes of Syria and Iraq NATO countries bombed them into oblivion. Hardly turned a blind eye.

Yes people should hold Israel to account for its actions like any other power, but there is a notable taste amongst some on the far left and Islamist right to single out Jewish power in a way no other ethnic group gets. It’s the mental product of 2 millennia of anti-Semitic cultural tropes.

• Options
    viewcode said:

I am on a train. The onward leg is cancelled. I now have to wait for a hour in the station. Bad train, bad.

"This train has been cancelled due to a shortage of train managers" (528)
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,620
    Leon said:

I've been looking for cherry brandy, but doesn't seem to be something the Irish have a taste for. Can't find it anywhere.
  • Options

Leon said:

Only the best.

2 weeks of Qvevri skin contact wines and chacha for me.
  • Options

Perhaps he should have a word with his mates in Hamas and advise them to surrender unconditionally. It would save a lot of death, destruction and heartache.
  • Options
    Having just taken 3.5 hours to drive from Hampshire to Staffordshire around Brum, stuck in horrible tedious jams several times, I found myself longing for HS2.

Such a mistake to get rid of it.
  • Options

Hadn't realised until I read the excellent article on Israel/Hamas by Jonathan Freedland in The Guardian, that the total Jewish population is only 16 million. It's no wonder there is such a feeling of vulnerability or the anguish felt when others downplay the crimes perpetrated against them. I'm still shocked by the decision of the Scottish Parliament not to fly the Israeli flag in solidarity. Sickened in fact.

Globally? Only 16 million Jews in all the world?
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,399
    edited October 2023
    TimS said:

Leon said:

Only the best.

2 weeks of Qvevri skin contact wines and chacha for me.
    A pint of Longman is infinitely preferable.

https://www.longmanbrewery.com/
  • Options

Wiki says 15.2–19.9 million
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,399

There woukd have been a lot more had it not been for the NAZIS.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,893

Yes.
    https://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jewish-population-of-the-world
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,045

Having just taken 3.5 hours to drive from Hampshire to Staffordshire around Brum, stuck in horrible tedious jams several times, I found myself longing for HS2.

In before "More motorways*
  • Options

Now the Scottish First Minister is doing a Corbyn and saying that Israel can't defend themselves: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67100374

Sickening.

And what a shock, he's just blaming Israel, no call on Egypt to open the gates and let people out to safety. Of course not, its all Israel's fault that they're defending themselves.
  • Options

There woukd have been a lot more had it not been for the NAZIS.
    Obviously, but I hadn't realised that the six million dead were such a large proportion of the population at the time.
  • Options
    Eabhal said:

You know its the answer without me saying anything.

My work here is done.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,840
    TimS said:

TimS said:

glw said:

I was going to comment on this but JosiasJessop did the job. The Assad regime is on another plane of brutality, malignancy and willingness to commit war crimes. He gassed his own people. And despite that, when violent Islamists seized control of swathes of Syria and Iraq NATO countries bombed them into oblivion. Hardly turned a blind eye.

Yes people should hold Israel to account for its actions like any other power, but there is a notable taste amongst some on the far left and Islamist right to single out Jewish power in a way no other ethnic group gets. It’s the mental product of 2 millennia of anti-Semitic cultural tropes.

Reinforced in the Middle Eat by the fact that the Arab states were unable to beat Israel in war, multiple times. 73 was the closest they came to winning, but that ended with a desperate plea to their sponsor, the Soviet Union, to save them from the counter attack from Israel.

Since they couldn’t deal with consequence of their incompetence, the countries in question mostly doubled down on the anti-semitism. And when religious fuckwittery took over from Baathtubist National Socialism as the even more stupid ideology, this became even stronger.

Instead of asking why the whole region, backed and armed by a super power couldn’t defeat one small country backed by another super power, they put every chip they had on “Blood Libel”, “Devil Worshippers” and the like.

Egypt made peace when Israel pointed out that if Israel ever lost a war, while Egypt was at war with them (even nominally), that the Aswan dam would be damned. Evaporated. Which would kill about 95% of the population of Egypt immediately by a wall of radioactive water. The fallout in said wave would ensure that the survivors wouldn’t actually survive.

This maths was simple enough even for Egyptian generals who’d lost every war they ever fought in. Apart from fighting their own people. So they made peace.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,543

Must say that I am astonished by that. If you had said 160m I would not have been at all surprised. They have had a remarkable influence for such a small people.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,128

Now the Scottish First Minister is doing a Corbyn and saying that Israel can't defend themselves: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-67100374

Sickening.

And what a shock, he's just blaming Israel, no call on Egypt to open the gates and let people out to safety. Of course not, its all Israel's fault that they're defending themselves.
    Where does he say that?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

On the other hand, I do have a hot snack, a warm waiting room, the internet, no bastards or drunks within view, am within running distance of a reasonable bog, and I don't have to do any work on Sunday. Things could be worse.
  • Options
    EabhalEabhal Posts: 6,045

Eabhal said:

You know its the answer without me saying anything.

My work here is done.
    You've yet to persuade me on invading Iran though.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Must say that I am astonished by that. If you had said 160m I would not have been at all surprised. They have had a remarkable influence for such a small people.
    The two are related though.

Jews have been persecuted for so long, that they've culturally evolved an attitude of needing to work twice as hard to ensure they can succeed. From science, to academia, to comedy and more they've had such an outsized influence because culturally as a group they've never once rested on their laurels or let a persecution complex take them down.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

I think well over 80% of them are in the US and Israel.
  • Options
    Ghedebrav said:

I think it's actually a "short notice alteration to the timetable". Happened to us at Newcastle on Wednesday on the way to Durham. Had to get a different train over half an hour later.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Sickening.

Where does he say that?
    Literally the first line of the article: Scotland's first minister has said Israel is "going too far" and that innocent civilians in Gaza can not simply be "collateral damage".

Of course its Hamas who use innocent civilians as human shields, which is a war crime.

Of course its Hamas who started this war.

And of course Israel on the other hand has given innocent Gazan civilians a warning to move away, a warning Hamas can hear so that's remarkably generous of Israel to do and is them putting their own soldiers lives at greater risk to protect Gazan lives that Gaza's own government don't give a damn about.

But sure, its Israel going too far.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:
    Costa Coffee has started selling mince pies.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    TimS said:

TimS said:

glw said:

That is a somewhat peculiar version of events in Syria but never mind.

I am sure that you have a good point in your thoughts about the general attitude to Israel, but I was dealing with the hypocrisy here on PB, where the basics of dealing with an Islamist insurrection are completely lost on us all one minute, but apparently understood to be common knowledge the next.
  • Options
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,081
    Bizarre that a bunch of people who backed Ukraine are now insisting that it's right to drive millions of people from their homes in a campaign of armed conquest.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,271

DavidL said:

Jews have been persecuted for so long, that they've culturally evolved an attitude of needing to work twice as hard to ensure they can succeed. From science, to academia, to comedy and more they've had such an outsized influence because culturally as a group they've never once rested on their laurels or let a persecution complex take them down.
    rubbish footballers though
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,128
    edited October 2023

Carnyx said:

Sickening.

Where does he say that?
    Literally the first line of the article: Scotland's first minister has said Israel is "going too far" and that innocent civilians in Gaza can not simply be "collateral damage".

Of course its Hamas who use innocent civilians as human shields, which is a war crime.

Of course its Hamas who started this war.

And of course Israel on the other hand has given innocent Gazan civilians a warning to move away, a warning Hamas can hear so that's remarkably generous of Israel to do and is them putting their own soldiers lives at greater risk to protect Gazan lives that Gaza's own government don't give a damn about.

But sure, its Israel going too far.
    You said 'can't defend'. Thats' what puzzled me. He did not use the verb 'can't'. That is the BBC reportage.In the very first line of the report. If you are going to continue to abuse the English language like that for youjr purposes then there is absolutely no point in discussing anything at all with you. Whatever one's views on the matter.

• Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,248
    Andy_JS said:

Carnyx said:
    Costa Coffee has started selling mince pies.
    10 weeks to Christmas. Get your Christmas shopping done!
  • Options
    Tres said:

DavidL said:

rubbish footballers though
    https://youtu.be/IoACIIz33II?si=E9iSR8jqPO9RcCRL
  • Options
    EPG said:

Bizarre that a bunch of people who backed Ukraine are now insisting that it's right to drive millions of people from their homes in a campaign of armed conquest.

What the fuck!?

Conquest!?

Are you completely insane or just utterly heartless and evil!?

This is Israel defending themselves from the must brutal, evil, monstrous attack that has been done for decades.

Israel are the ones on the defence here, trying to secure their survival, just like Ukraine.

I wouldn't normally advise this, but if you're going to be so stupid, look at some of the images of what Hamas have done, before you decide to label Israel the bad guys or aggressors here.
  • Options

Yes. The population of Palestine is 5.5 million by comparison.
  • Options
    EPG said:

Sorry, just thought I would check again, are you the most unbelievably stupid brainless prick ever to post on PB or just a giant cnt of the highest order - just so I can interpret any of your posts on the stupid v twat scale. Thanks
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.