Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Latest from YouGov not good for Sunak – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,815

MaxPB said:

Ground invasions of urban areas are rarely pretty.

Israel probably wants to go through the whole strip like a knife through butter, but they may take a lot of military casualties doing it.

The order to civilians to evacuate the north of Gaza suggests that they are going to take a pretty indiscriminate approach in an attempt to minimise their own casualties. It would not be surprising to see every building in Northern Gaza levelled, though whether that does the Israelis any good is yet to be seen.
    With there still be a Gaza City at the end of next week?

If the buildings are eliminated while civilians are evacuated, then Hamas can't hide there anymore.

Hopefully civilians can find safe haven away from the conflict.

Safe haven for Palestinians should be offered by any of the countries in green on this map, but one suspects their support for Palestine extends as far as trying to piss off or kill Jews, not to actually offering a haven for Palestinians away from a conflict zone.

Why is India in green on that map?! India has enough of it's own problems with militant Islamists, why take any more?
    I didn't make the map, that's the map @Sunil_Prasannan has kept sharing of countries that have recognised Palestine as a state. India is on that list, the UK is not.

Though I imagine to be fair the current Indian government going all over again the current Indian government would probably be wiser and not have made that decision. I don't know, but I'm guessing it was a predecessor government that made the decision?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India–Palestine_relations

"India recognized Palestine's statehood following the Palestinian declaration of independence on 18 November 1988"
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,880
    edited October 2023
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

'Lloyds Bank Offers 30,000 Staff Paid BUPA Counselling if Triggered By Conservative Party Conference Trans Rhetoric “Fuelling Hate”
    https://x.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1712807316221743227?s=20
    https://x.com/GuidoFawkes/status/1712808597300654555?s=20

Haha, that's brilliant! It illustrates just how deeply the Nasty Party's reputation has permeated society.
    Or how far Wokeism has now infiltrated our big corporate firms not just the public sector, whatever you thought of Sunak or Braverman's remarks and even if you disagreed with them as too anti trans not sure why it needs paid counselling
    Glasgow has a very interesting new bridge. 3d-printed, it says here. And clad in Corten steel. I'm holding back on judgement to see how the Corten survives possible vandals.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

'Lloyds Bank Offers 30,000 Staff Paid BUPA Counselling if Triggered By Conservative Party Conference Trans Rhetoric “Fuelling Hate”

I think over the past week, we've seen what "hate" really means.

It doesn't mean "someone said something I mildly disagree with."
    Have Jewish staff triggered by Hamas atrocities also been offered paid counselling one might ask?
    Probably - I work for a similar organisation and our CEO has been in our inbox offering solidarity and support.

Can’t recall anything about people being offended by the Conservative Party conference. Although on that the latest episode of the Skewer does both conferences pretty well.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Seems rather inappropriate for a prominent blogger who hides behind a pseudonym himself to personally identify by name and photo an individual working in HR at Lloyds Bank on the basis he doesn't like the tone of an email she wrote.

Seems to me who could quite easily have made the point he was trying to make without doing that.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,890
    I found the Conservative Party conference pretty offensive.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,116

Cyclefree said:

Responded to @maxh on previous thread, if he (or anyone else) is interested.

Completely off topic, parts of Glasgow are really very attractive. There is a wonderful Continental feel to much of the architecture. The flat I am staying in reminds me very much of the flat I grew up in in Italy. It is - at such a time - very comforting.

And the weather is lovely. And the conference I'm attending very inspiring.

Until recently, my previous experiences of Glasgow had been conferences in modern halls; changing trains at stations, and the very centre. Then I spent a couple of days walking around it (e.g. along the canal, and down from Milngavie), and found parts of it were surprisingly pleasant. Even as pleasant as Edinburgh in places. And yes, that is high praise from me. :)

Edit: But Glasgow could make more of its canal, as it does its riverfront.
    Oh, Glasgow has some very fine parts. As well as\ some very rough ones.

Interesting about the canal - the Edinburgh end (well, of the eastern arm) has been seeing quite a bit of going up in the world. Which, come to think of it, incloudes this. https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/about-us/maintaining-and-developing-the-canals/our-projects/leamington-lift-bridge
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,547
    edited October 2023

MaxPB said:

Israel probably wants to go through the whole strip like a knife through butter, but they may take a lot of military casualties doing it.

The order to civilians to evacuate the north of Gaza suggests that they are going to take a pretty indiscriminate approach in an attempt to minimise their own casualties. It would not be surprising to see every building in Northern Gaza levelled, though whether that does the Israelis any good is yet to be seen.

If the buildings are eliminated while civilians are evacuated, then Hamas can't hide there anymore.

Safe haven for Palestinians should be offered by any of the countries in green on this map, but one suspects their support for Palestine extends as far as trying to piss off or kill Jews, not to actually offering a haven for Palestinians away from a conflict zone.

Why is India in green on that map?! India has enough of it's own problems with militant Islamists, why take any more?
    I didn't make the map, that's the map @Sunil_Prasannan has kept sharing of countries that have recognised Palestine as a state. India is on that list, the UK is not.

Though I imagine to be fair the current Indian government going all over again the current Indian government would probably be wiser and not have made that decision. I don't know, but I'm guessing it was a predecessor government that made the decision?
    India has always historically maintained close relationships with the Soviet Bloc and Russia (my understanding being that this was something of a counter balance to the US exerting greater influence in Pakistan). I suspect historically this was driven by the ‘anti-colonialist’ policy of the East (I.e we don’t like colonialism so long as it’s other people doing the colonising, not us).
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,156
    edited October 2023
    Ghedebrav said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

Conference bounce, but still - well timed for the by-elections too. Apart from black swans, Rishi only has one shot left in his locker - the spring budget.

This critique, from the centre-left, of Labour’s latest (indeed almost sole) new idea, is worth five minutes of your time:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/12/labour-new-towns-cities-south
    I read that this morning; imo it is vacuous. Simon Jenkins doesn't really do content.

It is a sound article, focus development in and around cities across the country (as Gove is shifting towards and Starmer is partly looking at) not on new towns in the rural South
    Struck me as quite sensible too.

He doesn't mention it (namechecking Leeds, Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle) but Sheffield is another city that strikes me as absolutely ripe for further development (make your own Threads jokes here, but as a South Yorkshireman and semi-regular visitor to the city still, it has a great location, two big universities, a strong cultural tradition and plenty of this new 'greyfield' stuff I've been hearing about.
    What does that have to do with not building new towns, though ?

It's half of a halfway decent article, and the rest is just prejudice. Note that he's writing off Labour's plans without seeing even the tiniest detail.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,254
    Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

Completely off topic, parts of Glasgow are really very attractive. There is a wonderful Continental feel to much of the architecture. The flat I am staying in reminds me very much of the flat I grew up in in Italy. It is - at such a time - very comforting.

Kelvingrove Park is the UNiversity quartier - walk south through the riverside* park at lunchtime perhaps, uni with the art gallery is on the right, and you end up with the city Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, free entry (not sure about the Mary Quant exhib which I have not seen). Byres Road is good for studenty/hipster cafes but I always liked haggis in the greenhousey restaurant at the ag&m.

DYOR re opening, times etc.

*Kelvin not Clyde
    https://www.glasgowlife.org.uk/museums/venues/kelvingrove-art-gallery-and-museum
    Thanks.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Have Jewish staff triggered by Hamas atrocities also been offered paid counselling one might ask?
    Almost certainly. Pretty much every large organisation has put out a message of that nature to staff in recent days, and the counselling appears to be part of the standard BUPA medical insurance that all Lloyds Bank staff have access to if experiencing mental health difficulties.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,135
    Cyclefree said:

Was watching David Olusuga’s History programme (recorded) last night. At one point he talked about the amount of money spent on Glasgow properties in the late 18th C., and commented that at least some were left.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Barty has just nicked a random map for his own purposes, without taking much note of what's on it, other than *not the UK/USA*.

India is very plainly anti-Hamas, and the likelihood of their taking any Palestinian refugees is possibly less than that of Braverman doing so.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,411

It was a complete shambles from start to finish.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

HYUFD said:

Probably - I work for a similar organisation and our CEO has been in our inbox offering solidarity and support.

Can’t recall anything about people being offended by the Conservative Party conference. Although on that the latest episode of the Skewer does both conferences pretty well.
    Yeah we got a slack message yesterday to #all_team_europe making 5 free counselling sessions available for anyone who wants it via our healthcare provider without needing a referral. We didn't get that message for anything else though.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

Barty has just nicked a random map for his own purposes, without taking much note of what's on it, other than *not the UK/USA*.

India is very plainly anti-Hamas, and the likelihood of their taking any Palestinian refugees is possibly less than that of Braverman doing so.
    There’s no arguing with an MA(hons) in geopolitics from the university of Wiki.
    Or do I mean no point in arguing with?
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,880
    edited October 2023
    Nigelb said:

MattW said:

IanB2 said:

Conference bounce, but still - well timed for the by-elections too. Apart from black swans, Rishi only has one shot left in his locker - the spring budget.

This critique, from the centre-left, of Labour’s latest (indeed almost sole) new idea, is worth five minutes of your time:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/oct/12/labour-new-towns-cities-south
    I read that this morning; imo it is vacuous. Simon Jenkins doesn't really do content.

A few of the points made, if taken in isolation, aren't ridiculous.
    The false dichotomy, between 'levelling up' and building new towns, renders it utterly worthless as commentary.
    Yep - it's a fairly normal narrow-foundation-built-on-sand Jenkins rant (is he related to Jenkins from Grange Hill aka Tucker?).

In this case he goes for "postwar New Towns" and how they only worked as overspill from London, and how they should be enlargements of existing communities not "new towns".

Ignoring that that was exactly what was done with New Towns Gen 2 and New Towns Gen 3, and that near London is exactly where we need most of them now. And that Labour proposals to encourage development in Green Belt brownfield or scrub, extending existing communities, is part of the rest of their ideas.

Funny Old Stick Jenkins.

It reminds me of one of his really quite funny old Silly Simon cycling rants on the Daily Politics, which was eviscerated here: https://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2012/06/21/simon-jenkins-goes-dutch/
  • Options

Frankly, I'm astonished that the Tories still get 24%.

People like my 91 yo father-in-law, I guess - 'voted Conservative all my life and I'm not going to change now'

They still lead Labour by 46-25 among over-65s.

One of the things about this is that it must cut across families in a way that voting intention divides by race, social background, etc, would do much less often. Be careful with the Turkey carving knife at Christmas everyone!
    Among under-65s Labour lead the Tories by 54-17.

I think there's a real chance that the oldie vote for the Tories is in part a vote for the incumbent government, and so this gap might reduce if Labour win the election and don't tax the oldies or turn down the pension tap.

Unless the Tories work out how to attract the votes of youngsters, this could lead them to being even more unpopular in opposition, for a while.
    This looks relevant to that;

47% of Tory voters don't have housing costs, vs 29% for Labour and 30% for Lib Dems.

https://x.com/DuncanStott/status/1712515448166584753

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2023/10/12/0b215/3
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    HYUFD said:

Or how far Wokeism has now infiltrated our big corporate firms not just the public sector, whatever you thought of Sunak or Braverman's remarks and even if you disagreed with them as too anti trans not sure why it needs paid counselling

This is a consequence of giving up on free speech, as has happened over the last decade or so - people become unable to deal with ideas they don't like, and now employers have to pick up the costs. But ultimately it is quite sad for the people involved because no amount of therapy or Counselling will stop the election of the Suella Braverman or Donald Trump, or any other number of other horrible things from happening in the world.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,962
    darkage said:

HYUFD said:

This is a consequence of giving up on free speech, as has happened over the last decade or so - people become unable to deal with ideas they don't like, and now employers have to pick up the costs. But ultimately it is quite sad for the people involved because no amount of therapy or Counselling will stop the election of the Suella Braverman or Donald Trump, or any other number of other horrible things from happening in the world.
    I think it's very good that large employers now routinely offer mental health support as part of their private medical insurance package.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,667
    Seen on Instagram

This definitely has cut through in a way that previous flashpoints between Israel and Hamas haven't and the sentiment is hugely, hugely pro Israel. People posting pro-Hamas content are getting absolutely raked over the coals in the comments.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Haha, that's brilliant! It illustrates just how deeply the Nasty Party's reputation has permeated society.
    Brilliant. Really? Some women are pretty pissed off at having men be described as women and insulted if they object. Do they get offered counselling too? Because if they don't that's probably discrimination contrary to the law. And there is nothing brilliant about that. At all.

Though it's all too typical of some men to think so.

I expect this story is being blown up (I wonder why) when what actually happened was company HR comms reminding people there is a paid for BUPA counselling facility for anyone suffering from anxiety and other mental health issues.

Our place has a counselling service like this. It's open to everyone. And from time to time if something upsetting happens that might affect a group of employees the firm sends around a message reminding people counselling is available.
    Effing Guido on X ?
    Why is anyone even reading that **** ?
  • Options
    darkage said:

HYUFD said:

You appear to have been triggered by a TwitterX post.
    Which is also quite sad.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Of rather more consequence.

Jeremy Hunt warns of ‘difficult decisions’ ahead as public finances worsen
    Chancellor rules out tax rises and vows to cut spending in autumn statement as borrowing rises up to £30bn more than forecast
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/13/jeremy-hunt-warns-of-difficult-decisions-ahead-as-public-finances-worsen
    ...The chancellor said: “The fiscal position has worsened since the spring and I will have to take difficult decisions in the autumn statement.

“The main reason things are more challenging is because interest rate projections for all economies have gone up. The UK is not immune to those changes. We are likely to see an increase in debt interest payments of £20bn-30bn and that’s a huge challenge.”..

• Options
    bigglesbiggles Posts: 4,370
    edited October 2023

HYUFD said:

Seems rather inappropriate for a prominent blogger who hides behind a pseudonym himself to personally identify by name and photo an individual working in HR at Lloyds Bank on the basis he doesn't like the tone of an email she wrote.

Seems to me who could quite easily have made the point he was trying to make without doing that.
    One can accuse Paul Staines of many things (I do), but hiding behind a pseudonym isn’t one of them. He does interviews! These days, it’s a brand.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,675

eek said:

Linking the two: risk is the situation in the Middle-East drags or for months or escalates, creating another energy catastrophe and drives up gas and oil prices.

Again.

Very difficult for the UK Government. And us.

Other than diplomacy and minor military assets not much we can do.

Start fracking.
    Has the Geology of the UK changed overnight?

Fracking simply doesn't make sense in the UK....
    The companies that want to spend their own money fracking when they're currently banned from doing so must know less about it than you then I suppose.
    They probably know that can leave HMG to (literally) pick up the pieces for any damage caused to buildings.
    Bollocks.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

MaxPB said:

There’s no arguing with an MA(hons) in geopolitics from the university of Wiki.
    Or do I mean no point in arguing with?
    No point in arguing with a neocon loon

Especially one from the PB 1st Brigade of Armchair Warriors.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,928
    edited October 2023
    Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Brilliant. Really? Some women are pretty pissed off at having men be described as women and insulted if they object. Do they get offered counselling too? Because if they don't that's probably discrimination contrary to the law. And there is nothing brilliant about that. At all.

Jeez Cyclefree, I totally support women's right to feel safe.

I also think people who want to transition also have the right to do that and that there should be safeguards against perverts who pretend to transition to enhance their ability to abuse women. Biological males who have transitioned should not be allowed to compete in sports where their male biology gives them an advantage. There should be controls to prevent agencies encouraging people to transition, particularly young people.

But none of that requires the denial of an individual's right to transition, which Sunak seems to be saying: "We shouldn't get bullied into believing that people can be any sex they want to be, they can't, a man is a man and a woman is a woman, that's just common sense."
  • Options

eek said:

Linking the two: risk is the situation in the Middle-East drags or for months or escalates, creating another energy catastrophe and drives up gas and oil prices.

Again.

Start fracking.

The companies that want to spend their own money fracking when they're currently banned from doing so must know less about it than you then I suppose.
    They probably know that can leave HMG to (literally) pick up the pieces for any damage caused to buildings.
    Bollocks.
    Roupignolles to you, mon vieux.

You may remember the point being made the last time we properly discussed this - that the exploring company would be small, and easily abandoned if problems arose, limited liability and all.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Chancellor rules out tax rises and vows to cut spending in autumn statement as borrowing rises up to £30bn more than forecast
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/oct/13/jeremy-hunt-warns-of-difficult-decisions-ahead-as-public-finances-worsen
    ...The chancellor said: “The fiscal position has worsened since the spring and I will have to take difficult decisions in the autumn statement.

“The main reason things are more challenging is because interest rate projections for all economies have gone up. The UK is not immune to those changes. We are likely to see an increase in debt interest payments of £20bn-30bn and that’s a huge challenge.”..

The high cost of borrowing is down to the Bank of England's deeply reckless quantative tightening programme, which Hunt continues to write the cheques for, crystallising paper losses for the Bank into cash losses for the Exchequer. It is utterly unique in the world, and if he had a shred of fortitude he'd put a stop to it.
  • Options

eek said:

Again.

Start fracking.

Bollocks.
    You think they won't disappear in a puff of insolvency at the first whiff of problems, taking their fat bonuses with them, while you and I pay for HMG to clear up the mess?
  • Options
    biggles said:

HYUFD said:

One can accuse Paul Staines of many things (I do), but hiding behind a pseudonym isn’t one of them. He does interviews! These days, it’s a brand.
    Staines hid until outed on Newsnight. HTH.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013
    The Yougov poll shows considerable opposition to loosening planning laws, in order to build new houses, and opinion does not vary all that much across parties.
  • Options
    maxhmaxh Posts: 855
    Cyclefree said:

Thanks @Cyclefree i replied on there too to avoid clogging up another thread.
  • Options
    darkagedarkage Posts: 4,803
    TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I expect this story is being blown up (I wonder why) when what actually happened was company HR comms reminding people there is a paid for BUPA counselling facility for anyone suffering from anxiety and other mental health issues.

Our place has a counselling service like this. It's open to everyone. And from time to time if something upsetting happens that might affect a group of employees the firm sends around a message reminding people counselling is available.
    You are half right about this. But the article on Guido quotes the director of HR at Lloyds Bank as saying they are.... "appalled to hear the rhetoric coming from the Conservative Party Conference this week, targeting the trans and non-binary community. Hearing language that fuels hate and division is shocking".

The point cyclefree made about this is correct .... what about people who work in these organisations who perhaps have a different view of this issue? These kind of statements are extremely divisive. It just seems to me like it would be better if banks are impartial and apolitical.

• Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,354
    darkage said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

You are half right about this. But the article on Guido quotes the director of HR at Lloyds Bank as saying they are.... "appalled to hear the rhetoric coming from the Conservative Party Conference this week, targeting the trans and non-binary community. Hearing language that fuels hate and division is shocking".

The point cyclefree made about this is correct .... what about people who work in these organisations who perhaps have a different view of this issue? These kind of statements are extremely divisive. It just seems to me like it would be better if banks are impartial and apolitical.

Is there a non-binary community?
  • Options
    darkage said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Don't understand your point: the people who have a different view on this topic were not being targeted by the Tory Conference rhetoric.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,029
    edited October 2023
    darkage said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

There’s a big difference between such an email in the aftermath of a terrorist attack or a war starting, and the same sort of language being used to describe the words used at a mainstream political conference, to which their staff might be expected to have a wide range of views on the subject.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 20,234
    On topic @Mexicanpete please explain
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,547
    Nigelb said:

Oh dear, the big Pre-Election Tory Tax Cutting Jamboree(TM) is going to be delayed. What a shame.

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,904

Again.

Start fracking.
    ...across the universe
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Sandpit said:

darkage said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

There’s a big difference between such an email in the aftermath of a terrorist attack or a war starting, and the same sort of language being used to describe the words used at a mainstream political conference, to which their staff might be expected to have a wide range of views on the subject.
    I honestly don't think the email was very wisely worded; an email just reminding staff that the counselling service is available would have been fine.

My point was that the email evidences how badly the the Tories come across when they try to through red meat to their hard-line supporters.

It would be the same for Labour if they played to their hard-core but they are wisely focused on convincing the country.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    Cyclefree said:

Glasgow can be deeply handsome and appallingly ugly a minute later

Not unlike London

I love the Victoriana
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Oh dear, the big Pre-Election Tory Tax Cutting Jamboree(TM) is going to be delayed. What a shame.

£20-30bn less to spend annually is an awful lot of money.
    It's everything else that's the concern.
  • Options
    It's true, pre-schools against Hamas should have done a lot more.

• Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,904
    Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

Until recently, my previous experiences of Glasgow had been conferences in modern halls; changing trains at stations, and the very centre. Then I spent a couple of days walking around it (e.g. along the canal, and down from Milngavie), and found parts of it were surprisingly pleasant. Even as pleasant as Edinburgh in places. And yes, that is high praise from me. :)

Interesting about the canal - the Edinburgh end (well, of the eastern arm) has been seeing quite a bit of going up in the world. Which, come to think of it, incloudes this. https://www.scottishcanals.co.uk/about-us/maintaining-and-developing-the-canals/our-projects/leamington-lift-bridge
    Meanwhile, Glasgow's canal has recently got this: https://www.scape-scotland.co.uk/case-studies/stockingfield-junction-footbridge
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

Meanwhile, Glasgow's canal has recently got this: https://www.scape-scotland.co.uk/case-studies/stockingfield-junction-footbridge
    Ooh, that's nice, thanks!
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

They do indeed get offered counselling, as the reference in the email that Paul Staines has "leaked" simply refers to the general counselling services available to all Lloyds employees experiencing mental health issues via their BUPA medical insurance.

Whilst I broadly agree with you on a lot of these points, Cyclefree, one of the reasons I seek to avoid what has become a pretty toxic debate, is that people are so keen to get furious about perceived injustices that they don't check the facts.

Further, even though I essentially agree with the concerns many women (and indeed many men) have about self-ID, and deplore the violent language (and sometimes worse) directed at those who express those concerns, that doesn't mean that there aren't trans people or that (like the rest of us) they don't experience mental health issues that may benefit from counselling.
    Since everyone seems to live their life in a state of perpetual rage and trauma these days, in the interest of balance I would just like to point out that I feel pretty chill about things.
    Oops, forgot! Ta muchly.
    *goes to put some NZ white in the fridge*
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,013

Sandpit said:

darkage said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I honestly don't think the email was very wisely worded; an email just reminding staff that the counselling service is available would have been fine.

My point was that the email evidences how badly the the Tories come across when they try to through red meat to their hard-line supporters.

It would be the same for Labour if they played to their hard-core but they are wisely focused on convincing the country.
    I'd be surprised if she were offering counselling over anything that might have been said when the Jezziah was running the show.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

darkage said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Some of us see it totally the opposite way, that’s an illustration of just how far down the rabbit-hole large corporate HR departments have already gone.

At best, it comes across as a listed company taking sides in an ongoing political social debate that doesn’t affect them directly. Fair enough if they want to take a view on proposed banking legislation, or if they want to send out a generic email about the availability of mental health services.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,174
    Taz said:

It was a complete shambles from start to finish.
    Well look at the bright side. At least they completed it.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,606
    edited October 2023

It makes no difference. Whether Hamas have popular support or not, they are the de facto government of Gaza, and so Israel is at war against Gaza as a whole, rather than just the terrorist group Hamas in particular. This is a war, rather than a police counter-terrorist operation.

And yet, for all that, Israel is still under an obligation to avoid targeting civilians. Hamas, of course, have no objective except to maximise civilian casualties.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,223
    Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

They do indeed get offered counselling, as the reference in the email that Paul Staines has "leaked" simply refers to the general counselling services available to all Lloyds employees experiencing mental health issues via their BUPA medical insurance.

Whilst I broadly agree with you on a lot of these points, Cyclefree, one of the reasons I seek to avoid what has become a pretty toxic debate, is that people are so keen to get furious about perceived injustices that they don't check the facts.

Further, even though I essentially agree with the concerns many women (and indeed many men) have about self-ID, and deplore the violent language (and sometimes worse) directed at those who express those concerns, that doesn't mean that there aren't trans people or that (like the rest of us) they don't experience mental health issues that may benefit from counselling.
    Since everyone seems to live their life in a state of perpetual rage and trauma these days, in the interest of balance I would just like to point out that I feel pretty chill about things.
    Oops, forgot! Ta muchly.
    I'm clocking off early to go to Wembley.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556
    Sean_F said:

The Yougov poll shows considerable opposition to loosening planning laws, in order to build new houses, and opinion does not vary all that much across parties.

As I said the other day Keir will get as much opposition from his own party as he will from the government when it comes to deliveing the measily 1.5 million homes. If he doesn't get a big majority he could be in real trouble.
  • Options

Again.

Start fracking.
    ...across the universe
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCARADb9asE
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Oops, forgot! Ta muchly.
    On the Friday teatime principle, this might offer some pleasant light relief: I think we missed it but then there were good reasons for that, I'm afraid. A friend, who knows about those things, put us onto it.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/oct/11/colourful-beauty-parthenon-marbles-revealed-scientific-analysis
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,090

Funny how people can look at this and still say that getting rid of the bloke in charge in July 22 was a good idea
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,817

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I’m in a state of perpetual rage and trauma about the people who are pretty chill about people who are in a state of perpetual rage and trauma about the people who are pretty chill about people who are in a state of perpetual rage and trauma about the people who are pretty chill about people who are …..

G&T time, I think…
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    glw said:

Sean_F said:

As I said the other day Keir will get as much opposition from his own party as he will from the government when it comes to deliveing the measily 1.5 million homes. If he doesn't get a big majority he could be in real trouble.
    Given that the last five years have seen 1m additional homes added to supply, SKS’ target isn’t quite the stretch it’s made out to be.

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZTE5YWQ3MDYtZmFjMC00N2YwLWIxM2EtYWY2NTk1NjExYjgwIiwidCI6ImJmMzQ2ODEwLTljN2QtNDNkZS1hODcyLTI0YTJlZjM5OTVhOCJ9

The more the merrier of course, but the level of rhetoric doesn’t match the actual promise. It’s evolutionary rather than revolutionary.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

A lot really depends on what happens with US interest rates.

If the Administration decides it wants rates down going into the November elections, then this could easily turn, After all, tax receipts are going through the roof. It is the rise in interest payments on debt that is causing problems.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,475
    edited October 2023

Why are you picking on me?

You have a poster advocating genocide against the Palestinians in Gaza. You have another who keeps describing and posting graphic details of horrific events from Saturday and is posting some unpleasant Islamophobic content, and yet you are attacking my assertion on a betting site that a Conservative majority at 9/1 is outstanding value.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

darkage said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

It's difficult to come up with a "Yes" or "No" answer to that.

:):):):)
    Obviously the ternary and quaternary communities comprise the answer to that.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338

It makes no difference. Whether Hamas have popular support or not, they are the de facto government of Gaza, and so Israel is at war against Gaza as a whole, rather than just the terrorist group Hamas in particular. This is a war, rather than a police counter-terrorist operation.

And yet, for all that, Israel is still under an obligation to avoid targeting civilians. Hamas, of course, have no objective except to maximise civilian casualties.

Are they the de facto government of Gaza? Most of the world seems to think Gaza has been and remains under de facto Israeli occupation.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I just got the list of pieces for the advent service for the choir I'll be singing in at the beginning of December.
    It includes this, which is the absolute antithesis of rage and trauma:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnmjP_wAAEM
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Nigelb said:

If the Administration decides it wants rates down going into the November elections, then this could easily turn, After all, tax receipts are going through the roof. It is the rise in interest payments on debt that is causing problems.
    If they carry on with the $3trn of money printing this year, then inflation and interest rates are only going one way.

It’s a feature of the US housing market that most buyers fix for the lifetime of the loan, there’s isn’t the amount of remortgaging that happens in the UK, so far fewer people are affected negatively by the high rates. Many more are affected positively by rising savings rates.
  • Options

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Oops, forgot! Ta muchly.
    Wem-ber-Lee surely !
  • Options
    kamski said:

Are they the de facto government of Gaza? Most of the world seems to think Gaza has been and remains under de facto Israeli occupation.
    They're pretty ignorant then if so, why would Israel need to be entering Gaza if they were already occupying it?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

darkage said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Some of us see it totally the opposite way, that’s an illustration of just how far down the rabbit-hole large corporate HR departments have already gone.

At best, it comes across as a listed company taking sides in an ongoing political social debate that doesn’t affect them directly. Fair enough if they want to take a view on proposed banking legislation, or if they want to send out a generic email about the availability of mental health services.
    They'll probably send a similar email offering Conservative employees the same service after the next election.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,730
    Does anyone remember that take down of Keir Starmer that compared him to a HR manager "chairing a meeting that nobody wants to be at"?

I recall it was bitterly funny. Worth reading again. Can't find
  • Options
    isam said:

Funny how people can look at this and still say that getting rid of the bloke in charge in July 22 was a good idea

Look at his trendline though. There is no way that subsequent events wouldn't have pushed Boris-Conservative ratings lower than the low thirties they were on when he went. The Trusstershambles wouldn't have happened, sure, but we would have had the joy of a sitting PM being censured and expelled for unrepentant lying.

Daddy's not coming back. And the reason Daddy's not coming back is the things Daddy did.
  • Options

People like my 91 yo father-in-law, I guess - 'voted Conservative all my life and I'm not going to change now'

One of the things about this is that it must cut across families in a way that voting intention divides by race, social background, etc, would do much less often. Be careful with the Turkey carving knife at Christmas everyone!

I think there's a real chance that the oldie vote for the Tories is in part a vote for the incumbent government, and so this gap might reduce if Labour win the election and don't tax the oldies or turn down the pension tap.

Unless the Tories work out how to attract the votes of youngsters, this could lead them to being even more unpopular in opposition, for a while.
    You can't say that because that is a subsample (albeit a large one) and ergo unweighted. Do we really have to go through this every time a poll is published?
  • Options
    edited October 2023

You have a poster advocating genocide against the Palestinians in Gaza. You have another who keeps describing and posting graphic details of horrific events from Saturday, and yet you are attacking my assertion on a betting site that a Conservative majority at 9/1 is outstanding value.
    A way you could make a case for that is that in this parliament, less than two years ago in fact, people on here were saying laying Labour majority at 7/1 was the value, as there was nothing at all in the polls or ratings that indicated they stood a chance - then, partygate. Personally I piled into Con Maj, and lose £500 whatever happens. But I didn’t want to lay Lab as I kind of thought if Tories didnt get a majority it would be because of some kind of catastrophe that would give Lab a squeak

I just can’t see Labour making any big gaffes like that though. They got away with the only controversy that could have scuppered them
  • Options
    TheKitchenCabinetTheKitchenCabinet Posts: 2,275
    edited October 2023
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

If they carry on with the $3trn of money printing this year, then inflation and interest rates are only going one way.

It’s a feature of the US housing market that most buyers fix for the lifetime of the loan, there’s isn’t the amount of remortgaging that happens in the UK, so far fewer people are affected negatively by the high rates. Many more are affected positively by rising savings rates.
    That is true but what interest rates also affect is the stock market and Americans are heavily invested in 401Ks. If Biden wanted to create the illusion things are getting better, a booming stock market does it.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

glw said:

Sean_F said:

Given that the last five years have seen 1m additional homes added to supply, SKS’ target isn’t quite the stretch it’s made out to be.

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoiZTE5YWQ3MDYtZmFjMC00N2YwLWIxM2EtYWY2NTk1NjExYjgwIiwidCI6ImJmMzQ2ODEwLTljN2QtNDNkZS1hODcyLTI0YTJlZjM5OTVhOCJ9

The more the merrier of course, but the level of rhetoric doesn’t match the actual promise. It’s evolutionary rather than revolutionary.
    Starmer's pledge isn't a touch on what is needed.

But its still more than Sunak wants.

So least worst option.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,223
    Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

I just got the list of pieces for the advent service for the choir I'll be singing in at the beginning of December.
    Nice. I'm hoping our local scratch Christmas Carols choir reassembles this year (and that it's not raining the night we stand outside singing).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,245
    edited October 2023

eek said:

Again.

Start fracking.

Have you ever heard the definition of a gold mine?

It's a hole in the ground with a liar standing next to it.

The management of oil and gas companies, and who have millions of share options, will tell you all kinds of stories. The seismic is always amazing, the core samples are highly promising, and the geology looks *exactly* like AN Other oily/gassy place.

That's because if they strike oil/gas, then the executives get rich. And if they do not, then it is the investors that lose all their money.

I know this, because I was an oil & gas investor for a long time.

While I fully support removing the ban, your willingness to ignore all the evidence is quite remarkable, even for PB.

The companies in question had lost 99% of their market value even before the ban on fracking, because of the two dozen or so hydraulically fractured shale/tight gas wells drilled in the UK, exactly zero found commercially exploitable quantities of oil and natural gas.
  • Options
    kamskikamski Posts: 4,338

kamski said:

They're pretty ignorant then if so, why would Israel need to be entering Gaza if they were already occupying it?
    I guess they think a government usually has control over its own airspace and territorial waters and borders, for example.

The UK foreign office, for example, seems to refer to Gaza as occupied by Israel.
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/the-occupied-palestinian-territories
  • Options

You have a poster advocating genocide against the Palestinians in Gaza. You have another who keeps describing and posting graphic details of horrific events from Saturday and is posting some unpleasant Islamophobic content, and yet you are attacking my assertion on a betting site that a Conservative majority at 9/1 is outstanding value.
    I'm not attacking you! You have repeatedly said that Sunak is heading back into Number 10 at the next GE, and that Hamas is his black swan, and that Net Zero was a game changer and that HS2 was, well, I've forgotten. I'm keen to see your working on why he is going back into Number 10 '92 style, as you have said many times over.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Seen on Instagram

This definitely has cut through in a way that previous flashpoints between Israel and Hamas haven't and the sentiment is hugely, hugely pro Israel. People posting pro-Hamas content are getting absolutely raked over the coals in the comments.

That has been my experience as well. Apart from the actual horrific scenes in Israel, I think the pro-Palestinian demonstrations are also proving counter-productive. Having chants of "gas the Jews", holding up Nazi symbols on phones and so on in an age of social media is not going to go down well. More fundamentally, post-February 2022 and indeed with the changing political winds, I don't think Hamas / their fans have realised that sentiment has turned pretty sharpish in Europe towards challenging wrong doers more forcefully.
  • Options
    edited October 2023
    Leon said:

Does anyone remember that take down of Keir Starmer that compared him to a HR manager "chairing a meeting that nobody wants to be at"?

These days he is known as Sir Beer Korma, the man who brings the party to meetings.

What a shift!
  • Options
    edited October 2023

Leon said:

These days he is known as Sir Beer Korma, the man who brings the party to meetings.

What a shift!
    That was good PR from his team, to try and get us to forget the previous nickname…

• Options

Leon said:

What a shift!
    Matt Forde’s impression of him is good

https://x.com/timesradio/status/1384937478835122180?s=46&t=CW4pL-mMpTqsJXCdjW0Z6Q
  • Options
    Leon said:

It conjures up that somewhat mythical thing, a meeting chaired by an HR manager that someone wants to be at.
  • Options
    This week's poling average chart

Overall not much happening in the polling average.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Again.

Start fracking.

The management of oil and gas companies, and who have millions of share options, will tell you all kinds of stories. The seismic is always amazing, the core samples are highly promising, and the geology looks *exactly* like AN Other oily/gassy place.

That's because if they strike oil/gas, then the executives get rich. And if they do not, then it is the investors that lose all their money.

While I fully support removing the ban, your willingness to ignore all the evidence is quite remarkable, even for PB.

The companies in question had lost 99% of their market value even before the ban on fracking, because of the two dozen or so hydraulically fractured wells drilled in the UK, exactly zero found commercially exploitable quantities of oil and natural gas.
    I am glad we're on the same page regarding the ban. I don't see the various other areas of disagreement as important. If it works, great. It could solve a vast amount of national problems. If it doesn't, great - we'll all know. If that results in investors losing money they have speculated, I'm comfortable with it, trusting that they have broad enough portfolios and will be fine.
  • Options
    kamski said:

kamski said:

I guess they think a government usually has control over its own airspace and territorial waters and borders, for example.

The UK foreign office, for example, seems to refer to Gaza as occupied by Israel.
    https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/the-occupied-palestinian-territories
    That link doesn't say who its occupied by.

For the last few years Gaza has been occupied by Hamas - its time to end that. Israel would be a better occupier than Hamas I'm sure we can all agree.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Nice. I'm hoping our local scratch Christmas Carols choir reassembles this year (and that it's not raining the night we stand outside singing).
    Also this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZ87XWeEjeI
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

viewcode said:

darkage said:

TimS said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

It's difficult to come up with a "Yes" or "No" answer to that.

:):):):)
    Obviously the ternary and quaternary communities comprise the answer to that.
    Yes, but only momentarily
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,050

This week's poling average chart

Overall not much happening in the polling average.

Not a great deal has happened for a considerable time.
    The longer this continues, the more one suspects the public have just made up their mind, and not a great deal can be done to change that.
    Like the mid nineties.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,606

You can't say that because that is a subsample (albeit a large one) and ergo unweighted. Do we really have to go through this every time a poll is published?
    Sigh.

1. YouGov weight their subsamples (NB. 39% for the SNP in this one).
    2. Even if subsamples are unweighted, there are still insights to be gleaned by looking at them.
    3. In this particular case we are looking at just one more example of a very well-documented phenomenon, that has become an increasingly important part of British politics over the last decade or so.

I really do hope that we don't have to go through this every time a poll is published, because it is boring and you are wrong.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

eek said:

Again.

Start fracking.

The companies in question had lost 99% of their market value even before the ban on fracking, because of the two dozen or so hydraulically fractured wells drilled in the UK, exactly zero found commercially exploitable quantities of oil and natural gas.
    I am glad we're on the same page regarding the ban. I don't see the various other areas of disagreement as important. If it works, great. It could solve a vast amount of national problems. If it doesn't, great - we'll all know. If that results in investors losing money they have speculated, I'm comfortable with it, trusting that they have broad enough portfolios and will be fine.
    And if their portfolio isn't broad enough, its still their own money they've lost. Investor beware.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,224

Cyclefree said:

They could do much much more with the waterfront for certain, though it is very nice and lots of great restaurants and things to do.
  • Options
    David Cameron was right about Twitter.

Have a guess what the now head of the FA’s Inclusion Advisory Board once Tweeted about a football tournament being held in Israel?

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2023/10/13/fa-inclusion-chair-consulted-wembley-arch-boycott-israel/
  • Options

Without getting back into the earlier arguments I would pick you up on one thing. The Allies in WW2 thought that if they bombed Cassino flat there would be no where for the German paras to shelter. In fact it had exactly the opposite effect and made it easier for them to defend. Given the extent of the tunnel networks under Gaza I would suspect that bombing the city to rubble would improve rather than damage the defensive capabilities.
    Maybe, maybe not. Though its worth noting that the Battle of Monte Cassino and World War II in general both ended up being Allied victories.

Which is what is needed here, a clear cut Israeli victory.

Whether it makes Gaza easier or tougher for Hamas to defend if it is levelled or not, is operationally something the IDF and Israel needs to worry about.

If destroying it is proportionate to the military objective, then it is a legitimate target though.

The very actions of Hamas, in both their brutality and their using human shields, means there is little alternative.

For those who say don't do this, what is the realistic alternative that will successfully result in the complete destruction of Hamas and prevent further atrocities?

If you don't have an alternative, then this is a proportionate attack if it occurs, because it is necessary to achieve the military objective at a time of war.
    Sorry. I keep forgetting I am arguing with someone who is advocating war crimes and who thinks Palestinians are 'Untermensch'.

I won't bother trying to treat you sensibly any more.
  • Options
    BartholomewRobertsBartholomewRoberts Posts: 18,822
    edited October 2023

Without getting back into the earlier arguments I would pick you up on one thing. The Allies in WW2 thought that if they bombed Cassino flat there would be no where for the German paras to shelter. In fact it had exactly the opposite effect and made it easier for them to defend. Given the extent of the tunnel networks under Gaza I would suspect that bombing the city to rubble would improve rather than damage the defensive capabilities.
    Maybe, maybe not. Though its worth noting that the Battle of Monte Cassino and World War II in general both ended up being Allied victories.

Which is what is needed here, a clear cut Israeli victory.

Whether it makes Gaza easier or tougher for Hamas to defend if it is levelled or not, is operationally something the IDF and Israel needs to worry about.

If destroying it is proportionate to the military objective, then it is a legitimate target though.

The very actions of Hamas, in both their brutality and their using human shields, means there is little alternative.

For those who say don't do this, what is the realistic alternative that will successfully result in the complete destruction of Hamas and prevent further atrocities?

If you don't have an alternative, then this is a proportionate attack if it occurs, because it is necessary to achieve the military objective at a time of war.
    Sorry. I keep forgetting I am arguing with someone who is advocating war crimes and who thinks Palestinians are 'Untermensch'.

I won't bother trying to treat you sensibly any more.
    Please don't put in quotes words I've not said, that's utterly disreputable.

I've not advocated any war crime at all, quite the opposite.

Eliminate Hamas while keeping civilian casualties to a minimum is what I've said all along.
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,079
    Carnyx said:

Carnyx said:

Cyclefree said:

HYUFD said:

Oops, forgot! Ta muchly.
    On the Friday teatime principle, this might offer some pleasant light relief: I think we missed it but then there were good reasons for that, I'm afraid. A friend, who knows about those things, put us onto it.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2023/oct/11/colourful-beauty-parthenon-marbles-revealed-scientific-analysis
    It will be interesting if they can do the same scanning on the marbles that are still at the Parthenon as a more mischievous person myself might suggest that if they are too weather worn for it to work it would lesson the outrage about the Elgin set being in the BM as we never would have known this detail otherwise.
This discussion has been closed.