Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Is this a deliberate LAB move to help the LDs? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,455

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

In case you've not noticed the entire point of Brexit --to build a different economy-- is being dumped. Both Left & Right are now fully committed to mass cheap migration to keep big business happy, wages low, downward pressure on lower paid British workers, weaken their bargaining power & distort the market

We need a different politics"

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1684859053875269632

We certainly need those who bleat from the sidelines about a different politics and what voters really want to get off their arses and see if they can persuade people to vote for them.
    Not familiar with the gent myself. What is his politics?

Stdruck by this random tweetr amongst thosed which X-twatter vouchsafed me

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1528087775861514240

Sure, one could aspire to that - but it'd be like wanting to fly in a Bristol Brabazon with the original first class fitout, I couldn't afford it!
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757
    Sandpit said:

A proper batsmen’s innings from Labuchagne there. Nine runs from 82 balls!

Smith is giving it some tonk.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 6,520
    Prediction - ULEZ is now going to get brought up as a campaign issue in the GE, repeatedly, despite the bewilderment of the rest of the nation who aren’t affected by it. Particularly if it helps save the Tories from a shellacking in the mayoral.
    Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

"'Good news for London' says Khan, as £12.50 Ulez expansion approved"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-london-66328175

And just up -

.Khan says taxpayers' money 'wasted' in court case

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has just been speaking to the BBC.

He told us: "I welcome the judgement today. I've been told more than £1m of council taxpayers' money has been wasted on this case".

He adds: "I'm quite clear though, I made this decision to expand Ulez because it is really important we address the public health crisis."

Asked about increased costs to Londoners, Khan says nine out of 10 cars in London are already compliant with Ulez and the scrappage scheme would offer support.'
    Good luck to the Tories if the best they can come up with is a "let climate change rip" stance, for short-term political advantage.
    Given their PM's preferred mode of transport, it's admittedly difficult for them to argue for anything else convincingly.
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

In case you've not noticed the entire point of Brexit --to build a different economy-- is being dumped. Both Left & Right are now fully committed to mass cheap migration to keep big business happy, wages low, downward pressure on lower paid British workers, weaken their bargaining power & distort the market

‘Different economy’! In other words both left and right decided that lower GDP was not what they’d be pursuing.
    Based on US work in Afghanistan there is a case for saying GDP is the wrong index (it should be household income)
    See also Ireland.

Prediction - ULEZ is now going to get brought up as a campaign issue in the GE, repeatedly, despite the bewilderment of the rest of the nation who aren’t affected by it. Particularly if it helps save the Tories from a shellacking in the mayoral.

Danger of the rest of the country thinking "what are the Tories doing going all Wockney Cankers" given how much has been spent on e.g. Crossrail. While the rest of us if we want to go to London on HS2 in maybe 7 years will have to stop at Old Oak and get out and walk.
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135

Ghedebrav said:

England fortunate to still be leading over the Danes.

Well, England won without looking like a World Cup winning side, and many players were completely knackered towards the end.
    The standard of football at this tournament has been very poor especially compared to the Euro finals
    My go-to explanation is heat and humidity. Tournaments like to follow the sun, and in general our players are not conditioned for it. Whether that is actually true in this case, I'm not sure but it does explain, for instance, why for decades European teams tended to win the (men's) World Cup in Europe, and South American teams in South America.
    The euros were a brilliant advert for Womens football, this tournament certainly isn't. Its been like watching kids football.
    Disagree completely, the standard has been really good, clear progress in physicality, technique and tactics each tournament.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    edited July 2023
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

Oh God I agree with Matt Goodwin. I am bad.
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

Oh God I agree with Matt Goodwin. I am bad.
    A date and time carved on a rock is right once in human history. That doesn’t make it a clock
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314

Labour have already started their preparations on that front.

ULEZ "is coming to towns and cities across the whole of the UK." - Angela Rayner

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fr3pRBjvIuo (1m50s)
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    Coup in Niger appears to be successful: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66337767

Significant Western ally in recent times. The coup leaders are seen to be pro-Russia/Wagner.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

He told us: "I welcome the judgement today. I've been told more than £1m of council taxpayers' money has been wasted on this case".

He adds: "I'm quite clear though, I made this decision to expand Ulez because it is really important we address the public health crisis."

Asked about increased costs to Londoners, Khan says nine out of 10 cars in London are already compliant with Ulez and the scrappage scheme would offer support.'
    Good luck to the Tories if the best they can come up with is a "let climate change rip" stance, for short-term political advantage.
    Stopping ULEZ in outer London is a separate matter from the government's overall net zero
    target.

Today Khan has won his legal battle that he has the power as Mayor to extend ULEZ London wide. However the Tories have won a political battle as Susan Hall and Tory London Assembly candidates and parliamentary candidates in London suburban and M25 belt seats can say only a Tory vote can reverse ULEZ
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    edited July 2023
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

We certainly need those who bleat from the sidelines about a different politics and what voters really want to get off their arses and see if they can persuade people to vote for them.

Sure, one could aspire to that - but it'd be like wanting to fly in a Bristol Brabazon with the original first class fitout, I couldn't afford it!
    He is/was an academic on politics but like a frog being boiled he has become a partisan without realising or admitting it.

My favourite Goodwin moment was him deleting Trump sympathetic tweets after the storming of Congress. Those politics were just too different I guess.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Sandpit said:

Labour have already started their preparations on that front.

ULEZ "is coming to towns and cities across the whole of the UK." - Angela Rayner

https://youtube.com/watch?v=fr3pRBjvIuo (1m50s)
    If anyone takes the trouble to follow the link (God knows why I did, knowing what liars PB Tories are), they will see that she is actually talking about action she thinks the Tory government should take, not ULEZ.

• JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,368
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

Stopping ULEZ in outer London is a separate matter from the government's overall net zero
    target.

Today Khan has won his legal battle that he has the power as Mayor to extend ULEZ London wide. However the Tories have won a political battle as Susan Hall and Tory London Assembly candidates and parliamentary candidates in London suburban and M25 belt seats can say only a Tory vote can reverse ULEZ
    When are the right going to stop playing silly buggers with the environment?
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

If you want to spin opposition to a limit on specific carbon emissions as a "separate matter" from an overall target emissions, then as I said, good luck with that.

If Tories think they can get ahead by lying, they should at least try to tell clever lies, not lies that a small child could see through.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 61,523
    Mr. Sandpit, taxing non-compliant cars in cities that don't have London's transport infrastructure (ie everywhere else) is going to give the Conservatives an easy free hit come the election campaign.

Doubt it'll have a material impact but it will make things a little easier for the Conservatives.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    China have problems versus Haiti in the women's world cup. They're down to 10 players. No goals so far.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/66167888
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Equally one could ask about why car taxation in London is so regressive - the rich pay nothing.

A number of countries have implemented combined emissions and congestion charging that shift the tax burden to the larger, more expensive vehicles.

Such as system would be future proof, since congestion charging will be a thing, after the last ICE is parked up permanently.

A fun question awaits. The EU wants to ban ICE sales in 2035. The German car giants are angling for an extension.

If the next government wants to align with Europe more, that will be a top topic. Will they

1) do the usual Foreign Office tactic - give way and say 2035 in return for a smile.
    2) Give way for hard negotiated concessions?
    3) stand firm on 2030
    Sandpit said:

It's nice to have some real test cricket for a change, instead of playing as if it's a 20/20 match.
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

If you want to spin opposition to a limit on specific carbon emissions as a "separate matter" from an overall target emissions, then as I said, good luck with that.

If Tories think they can get ahead by lying, they should at least try to tell clever lies, not lies that a small child could see through.
    You can still overall continue a transition to renewables and nuclear energy longer term, which the UK is already doing better than most of the G20 on and longer term shift to hybrid and electric vehicles without imposing a deeply unpopular ULEZ and charges on petrol cars in outer London. Which will hit working class and lower middle class swing voters most as the Uxbridge by election result proved

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Equally one could ask about why car taxation in London is so regressive - the rich pay nothing.
    Why do the rich pay nothing?
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

ULEZ is a fart in a thunderstorm on CO2

Its purpose is to deal with particulates and NO2 emissions.

CO2 will be most impacted by moving to ZEVs (see 2030)
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

You can still overall continue a transition to renewables and nuclear energy longer term, which the UK is already doing better than most of the G20 on and longer term shift to hybrid and electric vehicles without imposing a deeply unpopular ULEZ and charges on petrol cars in outer London. Which will hit working class and lower middle class swing voters most as the Uxbridge by election result proved
    Remind me who is in government?
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?
    Do you mean that the rich travel only by electric vehicles?

• Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 32,089
    OT

very sad to see that Randy Meisner of Eagles fame has died. Fabulous voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LwBs9J775I
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

I was suggesting one way the poster might be thinking the rich could avoid it. They have the money to buy them. Whether they do, I don't know. Hence the question mark.
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544
    Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Never. People who don't give a shit about the environment are their core voters.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470
    "Biden has dispatched Sullivan and McGurk to Saudi Arabia, where they arrived Thursday morning, to explore the possibility of some kind of U.S.-Saudi-Israeli-Palestinian understanding."

Biden Is Weighing a Big Middle East Deal
    https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/27/opinion/israel-saudi-arabia-biden.html
    Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

It's nice to have some real test cricket for a change, instead of playing as if it's a 20/20 match.
    There's no rule to say how you have to play test cricket.
    England want a result; Australia don't. Each side is playing accordingly.

Both approaches are entirely "real".
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

It's one of those fact free memes beloved of the right. I know a lot of rich people and very few of them have an EV. I know a lot of not especially rich people and some of them have an EV.

"Biden has dispatched Sullivan and McGurk to Saudi Arabia, where they arrived Thursday morning, to explore the possibility of some kind of U.S.-Saudi-Israeli-Palestinian understanding."

Well, you have to admire his optimism.
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?
    If you have an EV

1) No road tax
    2) No congestion charge
    3) No ULEZ* - obviously
    4) Free parking in a number of places
    5) free parking at a bay allocated for charging

So if you are in a £90k top end EV, you can cruise into central London, park up at a charging spot. Plug in. Just forget to actually start the charging. At the end of the day, roll off, having paid nothing.

For the owner of a small hatch back, that little performance would be long past £50.

* in California, there was a hilarious legal hitch, for a while. You had to have a tail pipe to allow car emissions to be tested (the police could pull you over for this). So technically EVs weren’t compliant with emissions law.
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

I was suggesting one way the poster might be thinking the rich could avoid it. They have the money to buy them. Whether they do, I don't know. Hence the question mark.
    Maybe it would be easier to let Malmesbury answer, rather than guessing what s/he might have meant?

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?
    If you have an EV

1) No road tax
    2) No congestion charge
    3) No ULEZ* - obviously

So if you are in a £90k top end EV, you can cruise into central London, park up at a charging spot. Plug in. Just forget to actually start the charging. At the end of the day, roll off, having paid nothing.

For the owner of a small hatch back, that little performance would be long past £50.

* in California, there was a hilarious legal hitch, for a while. You had to have a tail pipe to allow car emissions to be tested (the police could pull you over for this). So technically EVs weren’t compliant with emissions law.
    6) Bonus points if you can put it through a company, and pay 1% BIK company car tax.

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

If Khan were smart, which he isn't, he'd put someone like you in charge of developing policy.
    The current debate is utterly sterile on both sides. The Tories are just a bit less concerned about deaths from lung disease.
  • Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 27,676
    Carnyx said:

Danger of the rest of the country thinking "what are the Tories doing going all Wockney Cankers" given how much has been spent on e.g. Crossrail. While the rest of us if we want to go to London on HS2 in maybe 7 years will have to stop at Old Oak and get out and walk.
    You think HS2 is going to be ready in 7 years? :neutral:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?
    If you have an EV

1) No road tax
    2) No congestion charge
    3) No ULEZ* - obviously

I was looking at getting an electric vehicle - not really for that, just because it would be cheaper to run - but I can't make the numbers work at the moment on either a full upfront purchase or leasing.

Equally, I don't live in London.
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

Maybe it would be easier to let Malmesbury answer, rather than guessing what s/he might have meant?
    But to be fair, rather than answering, he seems to have moved on to other random unsubstantiated stuff.

That's PB Tories for you, I suppose.
  • sbjme19sbjme19 Posts: 194
    Hate to say it but I thought that Hall gave a better interview on the WAO than SKS with his "reflect" and Khan with his "difficult".
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

That would subvert the whole point of PB and lead to the collapse of civilisation as we know it via the return of Liz Truss.

Turns out I was right as well, that was what he meant.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

If Khan were smart, which he isn't, he'd put someone like you in charge of developing policy.
    The current debate is utterly sterile on both sides. The Tories are just a bit less concerned about deaths from lung disease.
    Harsh considering it was Labour who encouraged everyone to buy diesels.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 61,470

OT

very sad to see that Randy Meisner of Eagles fame has died. Fabulous voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LwBs9J775I

Sad news. Grim week on the music front so far.

The Saudi ask is absurd, though. They want more privileges than a NATO member, without the commitments.
    ydoethur said:

Israel and the Saudis have a common enemy in the Shiite Muslim countries (Syria, Iran) and have been working together on the quiet for some time. This smacks of Biden trying to get his name on it so that the USA remains relevant in the region - wasn't the last big Middle East breakthrough brokered by China? Can't have that.
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Is that the same Uxbridge by-election that the Tories hung on to by less than 500 votes, despite it being a safeish Tory seat which recently housed a former Tory Prime Minister?
    Hardly a Tory rout, I think.
    edited July 2023

ydoethur said:

Israel and the Saudis have a common enemy in the Shiite Muslim countries (Syria, Iran) and have been working together on the quiet for some time. This smacks of Biden trying to get his name on it so that the USA remains relevant in the region - wasn't the last big Middle East breakthrough brokered by China? Can't have that.
    I thought it was Trump (of all slightly unlikely people)? But equally, I haven't been paying close attention to the ME for a couple of years.
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Almost all petrol cars are ULEZ compliant. Most of the vehicles that aren't are diesels.
    When the ULEZ was first extended, to the N/S Circular, my next door neighbour and I both had non compliant diesel cars. He's a window cleaner, I'm a well paid professional. We both moaned a bit but had no problem finding a replacement second hand car that we could afford. It's now a total non issue for both of us and I'm happy my kids are now breathing cleaner air, especially my eldest who has had some bad asthma attacks.
  • Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

It's one of those fact free memes beloved of the right. I know a lot of rich people and very few of them have an EV. I know a lot of not especially rich people and some of them have an EV.
    I'm not especially rich. The mortgage is paid off, but I currently live on not much more than minimum wage (out of choice). I saved for a long time to buy the first new car I've ever bought - a Nissan Leaf Acenta for £21600 last year. EV drivers are not all millionaires in £90k Teslas.

ydoethur said:

The last really big ME breakthrough was the Abraham Accords, brokered by Trump in 2020, between UAE, Bahrain, and Israel.

The Chinese-brokered deal was last year, between Iran and Saudi.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258
    It's not just Matt Goodwin, I'd guess most people would say they want a 'different politics'. After the last 7 years, and esp after Johnson and Truss, who wouldn't. In my case the different politics I'm looking for is one driven by a desire to improve life in this country rather than pumping out simplistic appeals to our less enlightened instincts.
    "Gen Abdourahmane Tchiani has declared himself the new leader of Niger after a dramatic coup.

Also known as Omar Tchiani, he staged a takeover which started on Wednesday when the presidential guards unit he led seized the country's leader. This shatters Niger's first peaceful and democratic transition since independence in 1960. President Mohamed Bazoum is thought to be in good health, and still held captive by his own guards."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-66337767

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

Because of the constricted second hand market, cheap EVs tend to be rather performance constrained.

When the Tesla Model S launched, it killed big Mercedes sales in California. The whole business plan of the EV industry was to get adopted by the rich and move down.

Currently we are at middle class prices for new EVs.

Most of the rich people I know have adopted environmentalism as the fashion - houses insulated and triple glazed, bore hole heat pump systems, solar panels (of course), power storage, rain water storage… the EV SUV on the drive is part of the lifestyle.

Running your EV off solar power is the dream - a farmer* I know, who is switch in to solar farming + a small business park is very proud that between the storage and the panels, he can offer 100% home grown leccy** to small business using his premises.

A real shame that Toyota were so anti-EV. An all electric Prius Luke have been staggeringly popular, I reckon.

*family is very well off, it’s not exactly hobby farming, but he doesn’t exactly worry about being profitable in the first few years.
    **most of the time
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,258

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

I'm not especially rich. The mortgage is paid off, but I currently live on not much more than minimum wage (out of choice). I saved for a long time to buy the first new car I've ever bought - a Nissan Leaf Acenta for £21600 last year. EV drivers are not all millionaires in £90k Teslas.
    Same but opposite with me. I am quite rich but when it came to replacing my old merc last year (because of ulez) I bought another petrol car.

Carnyx said:

You think HS2 is going to be ready in 7 years? :neutral:
    I was being kind as I couldn't keep up mentally with the speed of the project, or rather its changes.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

ydoethur said:

Syria is approximately 75% Sunni though the loathsome Assad is Alawite (Twelver).
  • Northern_AlNorthern_Al Posts: 8,271
    kinabalu said:

It's not just Matt Goodwin, I'd guess most people would say they want a 'different politics'. After the last 7 years, and esp after Johnson and Truss, who wouldn't. In my case the different politics I'm looking for is one driven by a desire to improve life in this country rather than pumping out simplistic appeals to our less enlightened instincts.

I rather suspect that the 'different politics' that Goodwin wants would entail us being led by a fusion of Braverman, Truss, Farage and Trump with a soupçon of Le Pen. I'm not sold on it, personally.

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Almost all petrol cars are ULEZ compliant. Most of the vehicles that aren't are diesels.
    When the ULEZ was first extended, to the N/S Circular, my next door neighbour and I both had non compliant diesel cars. He's a window cleaner, I'm a well paid professional. We both moaned a bit but had no problem finding a replacement second hand car that we could afford. It's now a total non issue for both of us and I'm happy my kids are now breathing cleaner air, especially my eldest who has had some bad asthma attacks.
    Interesting that you find the change in air so very definite. To hear some folk you'd think it was all thin air (so to speak).

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

Because of the constricted second hand market, cheap EVs tend to be rather performance constrained.

When the Tesla Model S launched, it killed big Mercedes sales in California. The whole business plan of the EV industry was to get adopted by the rich and move down.

Most of the rich people I know have adopted environmentalism as the fashion - houses insulated and triple glazed, bore hole heat pump systems, solar panels (of course), power storage, rain water storage… the EV SUV on the drive is part of the lifestyle.

Running your EV off solar power is the dream - a farmer* I know, who is switch in to solar farming + a small business park is very proud that between the storage and the panels, he can offer 100% home grown leccy** to small business using his premises.

A real shame that Toyota were so anti-EV. An all electric Prius Luke have been staggeringly popular, I reckon.

*family is very well off, it’s not exactly hobby farming, but he doesn’t exactly worry about being profitable in the first few years.
    **most of the time
    Strategic misstep by Toyota - but they're now investing billions.
    They're one if the manufacturers likely to have one if the early solid state* battery offerings.

*None of the first ones will be entirely so, but the will be a significant advance.
    edited July 2023

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

When the Tesla Model S launched

Most of the rich people I know have adopted environmentalism as the fashion - houses insulated and triple glazed, bore hole heat pump systems, solar panels (of course), power storage, rain water storage…

**most of the time

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

20k is still more money than many have ever dreamed on spending on a car.

Incidentally, going car-less in London depends on living in the areas with good public transport, or having a robust cycling capability. My wife has friends and relatives who aren’t so well situated as we are - 5 minutes from a Zone 2 station, 5 minutes from a major supermarket outlet etc etc - and they comment on the paradox that you have to be well off to not have a car. Or do 3 bus changes while carrying the shopping for a family.

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

Most of the rich people I know have adopted environmentalism as the fashion - houses insulated and triple glazed, bore hole heat pump systems, solar panels (of course), power storage, rain water storage…

**most of the time

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

Incidentally, going car-less in London depends on living in the areas with good public transport, or having a robust cycling capability. My wife has friends and relatives who aren’t so well situated as we are - 5 minutes from a Zone 2 station, 5 minutes from a major supermarket outlet etc etc - and they comment on the paradox that you have to be well off to not have a car. Or do 3 bus changes while carrying the shopping for a family.
    And yet if you look at the actual data you will find that most rich people in London have a car and most poor people don't.
    edited July 2023

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

He is/was an academic on politics but like a frog being boiled he has become a partisan without realising or admitting it.

My favourite Goodwin moment was him deleting Trump sympathetic tweets after the storming of Congress. Those politics were just too different I guess.
    Thanks, it's hard to keep up with those Brexiter shockjocks on crayon and EtchaSketch screens. Though your latter point does count in the gent's favour.
  • FeersumEnjineeyaFeersumEnjineeya Posts: 4,310
    edited July 2023

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

**most of the time

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

I still have my old car - a 2008 petrol Hyundai with plenty of life left in it - which I'll be selling once my lad has learned to drive. Also ULEZ compliant, and yours for £800 ONO :smile:
    150 Ashes wickets for Broad.
    A
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

**most of the time
    They're one if the manufacturers likely to have one if the early solid state* battery offerings.

*None of the first ones will be entirely so, but the will be a significant advance.
    Bit like the niobium anode stuff reported yesterday from the U.K., I am somewhat sceptical.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/07/ultra-fast-niobium-batteries-boast-6-min-charge-for-lotus-elise-based-ev/

Batteries for cars are generally considered to have about 5 properties you care about

1) Wh/kg
    2) Cost
    3) Density
    4) Cycle life
    5) Charging time

Past experience seems to show that you can get get performance on 3 of those while making the other 2 suck.

When looking at these announcements, see which ones they trumpet. And which ones don’t get mentioned.
    Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Interesting that you find the change in air so very definite. To hear some folk you'd think it was all thin air (so to speak).
    It's hard to know, but I am presuming it's been effective based on the evidence I've seen. My daughter's not had an asthma attack since it's been introduced, at least!
    Smith still looking serene.

A

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

**most of the time

Bit like the niobium anode stuff reported yesterday from the U.K., I am somewhat sceptical.

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2023/07/ultra-fast-niobium-batteries-boast-6-min-charge-for-lotus-elise-based-ev/

Batteries for cars are generally considered to have about 5 properties you care about

1) Wh/kg
    2) Cost
    3) Density
    4) Cycle life
    5) Charging time

Past experience seems to show that you can get get performance on 3 of those while making the other 2 suck.

When looking at these announcements, see which ones they trumpet. And which ones don’t get mentioned.
    The solid state stuff is claimed to improve all five metrics.
    Shocking VAR decision going against Haiti.
    A
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Harsh considering it was Labour who encouraged everyone to buy diesels.
    I want to reduce emissions across the board. Charging people with 50k cars more than people with 5k cars doesn’t seem like Neon Fascism to me, but hey.

Penalising the drivers of compact, light hatch backs with speed bumps also seems counterproductive.

Fun idea - if you link the PAYE system to car ownership, link car tax to income tax banding…
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,507
    Dura_Ace said:

ydoethur said:

Syria is approximately 75% Sunni though the loathsome Assad is Alawite (Twelver).
    And approximately 63% of Syrian FAMs are working in the UK as barbers.

Carnyx said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

It's hard to know, but I am presuming it's been effective based on the evidence I've seen. My daughter's not had an asthma attack since it's been introduced, at least!
    I'm just on the borderline. I used to work - and still more wait for the bus in - a very polluted area of Edinburgh (known from actual measurements). The contrast when going home with little upwind but open fields and moors was always very noticeable in the evening.
    Nigelb said:

150 Ashes wickets for Broad.

Ok, PB Brains Trust, here is a completely random question.

I know some of you have had success in beating Sky down on renewal charges.

How did you do it? Ring up and ask or just say you were cancelling and they made an offer?
    Nigelb said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

**most of the time

I think Toyota’s strategy will actually pay off in many parts of the world. Unlike most others, they haven’t put all their eggs in one basket.
    Nigelb said:

A

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

**most of the time

1) Wh/kg
    2) Cost
    3) Density
    4) Cycle life
    5) Charging time

We shall see. They were talking about a 2025 in service date - wheres the mule? They should be building a factory - where is it?
    edited July 2023
    ydoethur said:

How did you do it? Ring up and ask or just say you were cancelling and they made an offer?

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/broadband/article/how-to-haggle-for-the-best-broadband-deal-aryQB6p5ziyc

https://www.which.co.uk/money/money-saving-tips/getting-a-great-deal/haggling-aZ8wo3q0KF0z

Nigelb said:

A

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

**most of the time

1) Wh/kg
    2) Cost
    3) Density
    4) Cycle life
    5) Charging time

We shall see. They were talking about a 2025 in service date - wheres the mule? They should be building a factory - where is it?
    First products in 2025 - I don't think they're envisaging mass production before 2027.

JV with Panasonic, who of course already have several factories.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    Meanwhile in good net zero news / UK falling behind the competition warning:

China *added* more solar capacity in H1 this year than the *total* UK generating capacity across all forms of energy.

https://twitter.com/gabrielmilland/status/1684911164814237696?s=46
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    edited July 2023
    ydoethur said:

Speak to cancellations.

Cancel.

Make sure your contact preferences are up to date.

On the day it cancels you’ll get a Winback team call or email with a good deal.

Edit this should only be done for TV.
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

A

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

**most of the time

1) Wh/kg
    2) Cost
    3) Density
    4) Cycle life
    5) Charging time

First products in 2025 - I don't think they're envisaging mass production before 2027.

JV with Panasonic, who of course already have several factories.
    Solid state will require a totally different process - that’s a new factory. Hell, when they improve existing batteries, it’s often easier to build a new factory than retrofit

ydoethur said:

Speak to cancellations.

Cancel.

Ok - mine includes Broadband as well.
    TimS said:

China *added* more solar capacity in H1 this year than the *total* UK generating capacity across all forms of energy.

You want us to use as much energy as China? Where do I sign?
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

**most of the time

I think Toyota’s strategy will actually pay off in many parts of the world. Unlike most others, they haven’t put all their eggs in one basket.
    Only because of their deep pockets.

Most carmakers would have been crippled by the amount of capital (and diversion of engineering talent) they wasted on developing hydrogen vehicles. That technology will probably find useful niches in time, but it will probably never pay back financially.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Speak to cancellations.

Cancel.

In that case tell them you are leaving for Virgin as they are offering you a BB and TV deal similar to what you are on for £60.

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Is that the same Uxbridge by-election that the Tories hung on to by less than 500 votes, despite it being a safeish Tory seat which recently housed a former Tory Prime Minister?
    Hardly a Tory rout, I think.
    On current polls and UNS Labour should have won Uxbridge by even more than they won Selby.

The fact they didn't and the Tories held on means ULEZ could save the seats of a number of Tory MPs in Outer London and the M25 belt that would otherwise go Labour. ULEZ also gives Susan Hall a much better chance in the London Mayoral race v Khan than she would otherwise have and also boosts the prospects of Tory Assembly members in suburban London holding on next year
  • LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Nigelb said:

Andy_JS said:

Sandpit said:

There's no rule to say how you have to play test cricket.
    England want a result; Australia don't. Each side is playing accordingly.

Both approaches are entirely "real".
    And there’s nothing to stop us pointing out that Australia are a boring, cautious side compared to England, and that Test cricket - if it is to have any future (I doubt it does, after this series) - has to adopt a more English mentality. A result at almost any cost

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Speak to cancellations.

Cancel.

In that case tell them you are leaving for Virgin as they are offering you a BB and TV deal similar to what you are on for £60.
    Is your advice I should switch to Virgin, or is that just a suggested negotiating ploy?

It can't be the former as I don't have Virgin coverage where I live.
    Andy_JS said:
    It would have helped a lot if the bonus cap had gone. It is nonsensical self-harm to keep it.
  • TimS said:

China is still burning a lot of coal, but the phenomenal growth in its renewable generation bodes well for the future. While China has been emitting more CO2 per capita than the UK for the past few years, this is looking like being a temporary state of affairs unless we also keep up the pace.
    "The once great British middle class is now riddled with entitlement and dependency
    New data reveals how Britain has become increasingly reliant on state handouts
    Tim Knox

Britain has, unknowingly, become a nation of dependents. New data from the Office for National Statistics (ONS) shows that more than half of the population (53.8pc) now receives more from the state than they contribute in taxes."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2023/07/28/the-once-great-british-middle-class-ridded-with-entitlement/

TimS said:

You want us to use as much energy as China? Where do I sign?
    We need a billion more people as well.

Invest in boat building shares?
    Ugh.

Mitchell Marsh looking far too good her.e

Andy_JS said:
    It would have helped a lot if the bonus cap had gone. It is nonsensical self-harm to keep it.
    It is to do with reducing office space as more wfh
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 22,586
    council by-election result:

Brilliant result for my Party in Sussex. yesterday.

Heathfield and Mayfield (East Sussex) council by-election result:

GRN: 61.5% (+43.0)
    CON: 38.5% (-20.7)

No Lab (-11.6) and LDem (-10.7) as prev.

Votes cast: 2,231

Green GAIN from Conservative.
    @DavidL why did you have to say that at the end of the last thread?

Last half an hour Aus have looked totally untroubled.
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

Jonathan said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

target.

Electric vehicles?

That would subvert the whole point of PB and lead to the collapse of civilisation as we know it via the return of Liz Truss.

Turns out I was right as well, that was what he meant.
    I must have missed his/her answer. But if s/he really thinks rich people all travel by electric cars, it was no great loss.
This discussion has been closed.