Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Is this a deliberate LAB move to help the LDs? – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 12,047
edited July 2023 in General
Is this a deliberate LAB move to help the LDs? – politicalbetting.com

THANK YOU LABOUR(this is going on every lib dem squeeze leaflet) pic.twitter.com/d5BRviXcmN

Read the full story here

Comments

• Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    First like Labour
  • 1st loser!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,627
    I don't think it is designed to help the Lib Dems, if only because many of the seats on here are hardly Lib Dem targets either. You could put up a donkey with a blue rosette in Kingswinford and South Staffordshire and it would win - in fact, it has won the last several elections and served in the Cabinet - while there's no mention of North Cotswold which is actually in some ways a more logical target for pro-LD tactical voting than Cheltenham.
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,541
    There have been similar stories before. This is from 2015;

I do feel sorry for the no doubt hard-working Conservative candidates who’ve had their chances of victory denigrated by their own party’s website, and also for whichever Conservative website designer was responsible for this fairly spectacular cock-up.

https://wp.me/p1eVEL-by
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 120,999
    I don't think this is designed to help the LDs. Labour just has a list of Tory seats they likely will never win approved Labour parliamentary candidates can apply for to get experience before trying for a more winnable seat at a subsequent general election, just as the Tories equally have a list of Labour seats they will never win Conservative approved parliamentary candidates can use for experience.

Looking at the list I don't think the LDs have much chance in over half of them either. Though Bridgwater, Cheltenham, East Surrey, Eastbourne, Eastleigh, Esher and Walton, Farrnham and Borndon, Goldalming and Ash, Guildford, Harrogate and Knaresborough, Lewes, Maidenhead, Mid Dorset and North Poole, Newbury, North Devon, North Cornwall, North Dorset and North Norfolk from the list are former LD seats or on the LD target list where it will help the LDs if Labour just run a token campaign
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,750
    George Russell calls for Belgian Grand Prix to be cancelled if unsafe for drivers

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jul/27/george-russell-belgian-grand-prix-formula-one
    ...Russell acknowledged the circuit was hazardous but emphasised that it was the issue of visibility that was crucial.

“If you put a ranking of risk of all of the circuits, Spa is one of the riskiest,” he said. “Then when you have the combination of the weather it is very challenging. It is the visibility, we have no visibility whatsoever. For perspective it’s like driving down the motorway in pouring rain and turning your windscreen wipers off, that’s how it feels.”

Russell’s concerns were echoed by other drivers including Charles Leclerc, Lando Norris and Valtteri Bottas and he was unequivocal the sport could not risk a repeat of Van ’t Hoff’s tragic accident...

• LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Fpt because I’m genuinely interested in hearing theories

This hotel is intensely odd. It’s seriously chic. Wouldn’t be out of place in a very prosperous town in the Dolomites. It’s all designer sofas and fresh burrata and monsoon showers and granite and iron fire pits

The people look rich. They drink Aperol spritzers at noon on Friday. The sun shines on the bruschetta

Yet this is a pretty obscure Bukovinan Ukrainian city, in the middle of the terrible Ukrainian war, in an already poor country (GDP per capita: $5000)

Someone here is making a lot of money. The hotel owner and his clients. This elegant little city is about 30 minutes from the Romanian and Moldovan borders. The coffee is excellent

Hmmm

What’s going on?

• PeckPeck Posts: 517
    edited July 2023
    If Labour are trying to help the Lib Dems, the Lib Dems will look so nasty if they say "You pieces of turd - you're not even trying to beat us!"

Most can understand that Labour won't be spending a lot of effort trying to hold Liverpool Walton.

Anyway...as if the Lib Dems backing a Tory government has been completely ruled out, couldn't happen, not in a hundred years, not in any kind of hung parliament whatsoever, the Tories are so unpopular, and so on.

"You were in government with your friends the Tories for five years. Are you saying this time that people should trust you not to do the same again, and that if there's a hung parliament you'll support a government under Labour leader Keir Starmer?"

"Er - er - er ... but the list, the list! And something to do with Jeremy Corbyn!"

What's the factor that binds the seats on that list together? Is there anything else other than that a swing to Labour of >x% would be needed? (Apologies for being so non-nerdy!)
  • Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 14,251
    ydoethur said:

I don't think it is designed to help the Lib Dems, if only because many of the seats on here are hardly Lib Dem targets either. You could put up a donkey with a blue rosette in Kingswinford and South Staffordshire and it would win - in fact, it has won the last several elections and served in the Cabinet - while there's no mention of North Cotswold which is actually in some ways a more logical target for pro-LD tactical voting than Cheltenham.

Yes, if the LDs don't take Cheltenham they may as well pack in.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,018
    I see Bridget Phillipson is channelling her inner Liz Truss:

https://twitter.com/bphillipsonMP/status/1684845472735784961
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648
    Nigelb said:

George Russell calls for Belgian Grand Prix to be cancelled if unsafe for drivers

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2023/jul/27/george-russell-belgian-grand-prix-formula-one
    ...Russell acknowledged the circuit was hazardous but emphasised that it was the issue of visibility that was crucial.

“If you put a ranking of risk of all of the circuits, Spa is one of the riskiest,” he said. “Then when you have the combination of the weather it is very challenging. It is the visibility, we have no visibility whatsoever. For perspective it’s like driving down the motorway in pouring rain and turning your windscreen wipers off, that’s how it feels.”

Russell’s concerns were echoed by other drivers including Charles Leclerc, Lando Norris and Valtteri Bottas and he was unequivocal the sport could not risk a repeat of Van ’t Hoff’s tragic accident...

Good. We all love Spa, but its becoming increasingly dangerous as the cars get quicker and quicker. A significant reprofiling of both the Eau Rouge / Radillon complex and probably Blanchimont as well needs to happen.

Also, why do they always hold the event in rainy season? You can't race there, on this layout, in the rain.

ydoethur said:

Yes, if the LDs don't take Cheltenham they may as well pack in.
    Well, that's the point. Whatever Labour do in Cheltenham is likely to be a sideshow, but I could see a LibDem candidate backed with Labour tactical votes cause an upset in North Cotswold. Equally, I can't see Labour winning it.
  • HYUFD said:

I don't think this is designed to help the LDs. Labour just has a list of Tory seats they likely will never win approved Labour parliamentary candidates can apply for to get experience before trying for a more winnable seat at a subsequent general election, just as the Tories equally have a list of Labour seats they will never win Conservative approved parliamentary candidates can use for experience.

Looking at the list I don't think the LDs have much chance in over half of them either. Though Bridgwater, Cheltenham, East Surrey, Eastbourne, Eastleigh, Esher and Walton, Farrnham and Borndon, Goldalming and Ash, Guildford, Harrogate and Knaresborough, Lewes, Maidenhead, Mid Dorset and North Poole, Newbury, North Devon, North Cornwall, North Dorset and North Norfolk from the list are former LD seats or on the LD target list where it will help the LDs if Labour just run a token campaign

Not Maidenhead. Teresa May is very popular locally. It was a Lib Dem Target Seat in 2005 (anyone remember the great Decapitation Strategy?) but Windsor and Wokingham are more attractive.
    Theory one: crime

Being so near two borders means there is money in smuggling and people trafficking (helping draft dodgers? Refugees? Gun running?) - that’s the money being spent here

Theory two: internal tourism and politicians

This is probably about as far from the front line as you can get. I doubt Putin will bomb Chernivtsi (unlike Lviv). Also the border is close if you need to flee. It’s historic, sunny and elegant

The coast is now dangerous, so this is where rich Ukrainians - who generally can’t get out of the country if they are male - come for hols and meetings
  • noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 22,135
    Nigelb said:

Youd have thought there could be some sort of tech solution for this. Infra red cameras and screens? Obviously the cars are hot and would guess the racing line would still have a differentiated level of heat to the rest of the track perhaps?
    tlg86 said:

What is it about the education brief that it tends to attract moralising idiots?
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,069
    Leon said:

This hotel is intensely odd. It’s seriously chic. Wouldn’t be out of place in a very prosperous town in the Dolomites. It’s all designer sofas and fresh burrata and monsoon showers and granite and iron fire pits

The people look rich. They drink Aperol spritzers at noon on Friday. The sun shines on the bruschetta

Yet this is a pretty obscure Bukovinan Ukrainian city, in the middle of the terrible Ukrainian war, in an already poor country (GDP per capita: $5000)

Someone here is making a lot of money. The hotel owner and his clients. This elegant little city is about 30 minutes from the Romanian and Moldovan borders. The coffee is excellent

Hmmm

What’s going on?

1) There is an elite and a middle class in almost every country

2) Russia's principal interest is in Eastern Ukraine

3) If you look at a historical map/atlas of Europe, what is now Ukraine has been in culturally different bits though most of history. This is feature and a bug of most of Europe's landmass.

4) In wars people take bits of peace if they can

5) In many rural parts of the UK WWII is not huge in folk memory because life went on in farms much as ever

6) Ukraine is so large that there are lots of places where war is elsewhere.

Nigelb said:

Good. We all love Spa, but its becoming increasingly dangerous as the cars get quicker and quicker. A significant reprofiling of both the Eau Rouge / Radillon complex and probably Blanchimont as well needs to happen.

Also, why do they always hold the event in rainy season? You can't race there, on this layout, in the rain.
    Are cars getting quicker? In my opinion, the Eau Rouge/Radillon complex is more dangerous with the exit from the old pits coming up the side of it. I was there in 2012 when this accident happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqQiMp03n2c

The driver was airlifted to hospital. I think the tarmac encourages drivers to try to save it, whereas, in the old days, the gravel trap would reduce the impact of the accident.
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Hmmm

What’s going on?

3) If you look at a historical map/atlas of Europe, what is now Ukraine has been in culturally different bits though most of history. This is feature and a bug of most of Europe's landmass.

5) In many rural parts of the UK WWII is not huge in folk memory because life went on in farms much as ever

Yes. All true. And surely part of the answer

I guess even during World War 2 there were bits of europe where an affluent life went on. Switzerland of course (and this hotel feels like somewhere in Ticino)

Or Cascais and Sintra in Portugal (where Ian Fleming was posted as a spy). There would have been others
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,314
    Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Hmmm

What’s going on?

I guess even during World War 2 there were bits of europe where an affluent life went on. Switzerland of course (and this hotel feels like somewhere in Ticino)

Or Cascais and Sintra in Portugal (where Ian Fleming was posted as a spy). There would have been others
    The emergence of a regional middle class in Ukraine, has been quite noticeable since I started visiting there a decade ago. New German cars, iPhones, nice cafes, were only really seen in Kiev back in 2014 or 2015.

How much is a pint these days, 30 grivnas or so?

(I might be heading there in a couple of weeks’ time).
  • Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 8,163
    tlg86 said:

When people aspire to Truss-ism it marks them as too stupid to be idiots. I will classify her as another empty husk, devoid of any ability. Like Truss, Raaaaaaab, etc

If she wants to play to the gallery she should at least have tried acting.
    edited July 2023

Nigelb said:

Unfortunately they’ve just spent millions reprofiling those corners, and adding more runoff. The sad fatality a couple fo months ago was more weather-related, and occurred on the straight after Radillon.

It’s also worth noting that George Russell is the drivers’ representative on safety issues, so it’s obviously a wider feeling among the drivers that they need to stop for excessive rain, and the organisers need to be willing to be flexible when it comes to the event timings over the weekend.

It’s wet but drizzle there at the moment, F3 and F2 have been practicing with no issues.
  • Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 51,092
    tlg86 said:

She looks OK :)
    Sandpit said:

Leon said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Hmmm

What’s going on?

The emergence of a regional middle class in Ukraine, has been quite noticeable since I started visiting there a decade ago. New German cars, iPhones, nice cafes, were only really seen in Kiev back in 2014 or 2015.

How much is a pint these days, 30 grivnas or so?

(I might be heading there in a couple of weeks’ time).
    Sam Johnson captures it:

“There are few ways in which a man can be more innocently employed than in getting money.”

Capitalism is not an unalloyed good, nor all forms of money making, but the ways in which it can penetrate the darkest and obscurest places to provide the coffee and the cake is remarkable.

A favourite of mine, for no special reason except that it is there, - very simple but obscurely placed at the end of the road to nowhere - is the old post office at Lochbuie.

https://www.oldpostofficelochbuie.co.uk/

tlg86 said:

She is very good, and lots of charm. Good on the media. Proper north east. Should go far. Catholic. Not at all like L Truss.
  • I've met Bridget Phillipson and found her to be highly plausible... not a moralising nincompoop at all.

On topic: whatever the criteria are for that list, there's clearly a southern bias -- and without looking too closely into the new boundaries, of the two northern constituencies I'm surprised there isn't some hope for Labour in Brigg and Immingham. (Goole and Pocklington must win some sort of award for the unlikeliest bedfellows in a constituency name ever...)
  • RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 28,648
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Unfortunately they’ve just spent millions reprofiling those corners, and adding more runoff. The sad fatality a couple fo months ago was more weather-related, and occurred on the straight after Radillon.

It’s also worth noting that George Russell is the drivers’ representative on safety issues, so it’s obviously a wider feeling among the drivers that they need to stop for excessive rain, and the organisers need to be willing to be flexible when it comes to the event timings over the weekend.

It’s wet but drizzle there at the moment, F3 and F2 have been practicing with no issues.
    They can't be *too* flexible over timings. Currently the sprint race and main grand prix fit neatly in-between qualifying and the race at the Formula E (I'm at the Excel for both days this weekend). We're planning to watch F1 and FE, so don't postpone the F1!

Besides which, as we saw the other year when its really wet all that happens is that the available light drops below a workable threshold...
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 5,252

tlg86 said:

She looks OK :)
    Don’t let Rachel hear you say that.
    Nothing this morning on how five Tory councils have wasted their council taxpayers’ money on a pointless judicial review of a policy which will help make them healthier?
  • geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,528
    Dunno whether she's still there but Leon has competition for vicarious armchair appreciation of his travel exploits.
    https://www.mywanderlust.pl/chernivtsi-ukraine/
    Have Kami and Leon been seen in the same Bukovinan hotel room?

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

They can't be *too* flexible over timings. Currently the sprint race and main grand prix fit neatly in-between qualifying and the race at the Formula E (I'm at the Excel for both days this weekend). We're planning to watch F1 and FE, so don't postpone the F1!

Besides which, as we saw the other year when its really wet all that happens is that the available light drops below a workable threshold...
    I think that the ‘flexibility’ they’re looking for, is the willingness to actually move the race forward if there’s a window, even if that means binning the 90-minute buildup or support races, for a morning slot if that’s when the weather is good.

Have fun at the FE in London.
    algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Hmmm

What’s going on?

Also, it's been a regional capital for centuries, which I guess counts for something.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernivtsi

It was a waypoint for Jewish emigration to Israel after WWII.

Pre-war, around a third of the population was Jewish - not uncommon in urban centres in the region. More unusually, a third of them were saved from the Nazis by the then Romanian mayor:
    https://archive.ph/20081116122634/http://www1.yadvashem.org/about_yad/press_room/press_releases/07.08.07.html
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,358
    tlg86 said:

Is Bridget Phillipson Labour’s rising star?
    She refused to serve under Jeremy Corbyn and is now one of Keir Starmer’s most trusted allies. The shadow education secretary talks about the challenges she faced growing up

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bridget-phillipson-labour-mp-interview-keir-starmer-txwlwn78d
    Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

She refused to serve under Jeremy Corbyn and is now one of Keir Starmer’s most trusted allies. The shadow education secretary talks about the challenges she faced growing up

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bridget-phillipson-labour-mp-interview-keir-starmer-txwlwn78d
    She might not be trusted after those pics. Definitely on manoeuvres!
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 42,454

Nothing this morning on how five Tory councils have wasted their council taxpayers’ money on a pointless judicial review of a policy which will help make them healthier?

Well, they fervently believe in choking off the life chances of poorer people, so why not literally also?

On which, see also:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/28/air-breathe-uk-depends-race-income

"The poorest people emit least air pollution, but the multiplicative effect of worst concentrations and greater vulnerability means the least well-off bear an unfair proportion of health burden from air pollution."

Which ties in very nicely with the discussion recently on PB showing the distribution of car ownership in London - almost half of all *households* having no car at all.
  • GhedebravGhedebrav Posts: 3,860
    geoffw said:

Dunno whether she's still there but Leon has competition for vicarious armchair appreciation of his travel exploits.

Looks like a genuinely lovely place. Quite fancy visiting, actually, v much my cup of tea!
    edited July 2023
    Leon said:

Hmmm

What’s going on?

You're getting some, er, questionable answers.

The Moldova-Ukraine border is on routes for both heroin and cannabis.

Big crims make a lot of money from war in any country.

https://www.emcdda.europa.eu/system/files/media/publications/documents/14948/TD0322107ENN.pdf
    England fortunate to still be leading over the Danes.
  • TimSTimS Posts: 12,112
    tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

I think it's very helpful for Labour to raise the profile of their front bench. There are a number who are not that well known yet quite impressive. Bridget is one of them, Johnny Reynolds (another North Easterner) is another. Everyone knows Wes Streeting now and he's a net asset to Starmer. Lisa Nandy is a good media performer, is a good foil for Gove and usually comes across as reasonable and thoughtful. Reeves is fairly well known but a bit more neutral as a media performer. And it's helpful having someone like Yvette Cooper in home office as well, as a reminder that the front bench has some government experience.

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

Leon said:

Hmmm

What’s going on?

Also, it's been a regional capital for centuries, which I guess counts for something.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernivtsi

It was a waypoint for Jewish emigration to Israel after WWII.

Pre-war, around a third of the population was Jewish - not uncommon in urban centres in the region. More unusually, a third of them were saved from the Nazis by the then Romanian mayor:
    https://archive.ph/20081116122634/http://www1.yadvashem.org/about_yad/press_room/press_releases/07.08.07.html
    I really want to go here as well. Hopefully on Monday

Kamianets-Podilskiy. It’s nearby

Full of insane history. The Old town is said to be spooky as hell. The castle looks phenomenal

The Final Solution arguably began there. It was the first place the Nazis killed tens of thousands of Jews in one “Aktion”. Babi Yar came soon after

Perhaps fittingly, the castle is lit up blood red at night

Carnyx said:

Well, they fervently believe in choking off the life chances of poorer people, so why not literally also?

On which, see also:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2023/jul/28/air-breathe-uk-depends-race-income

"The poorest people emit least air pollution, but the multiplicative effect of worst concentrations and greater vulnerability means the least well-off bear an unfair proportion of health burden from air pollution."

Which ties in very nicely with the discussion recently on PB showing the distribution of car ownership in London - almost half of all *households* having no car at all.
    Dig the quoted sentence! Make the rich consume their fair share of pollutants!
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Carnyx said:

On which, see also:

Yes, but how many of them are dying(!) to own a filthy 20 year old oil burner? ULEZ is just killing aspiration.
    In a different sense so are the 20 year old diesels, mind.
    Ghedebrav said:

geoffw said:

Looks like a genuinely lovely place. Quite fancy visiting, actually, v much my cup of tea!
    Come now while it’s crazy cheap! And there’s a war for added fun!
    Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

I’m not generally swayed by puff pieces like this. But there is some genuinely impressive stuff there.
    Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

geoffw said:

Presumably your e3mployer provides the insurance ...

What's that nature reserve thingy with historical monuments? Is it a sort of St Fagans or Weald and Downland Museum with buildings moved to some nice park? Or what?

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

I’m not generally swayed by puff pieces like this. But there is some genuinely impressive stuff there.
    12ft ladder not working for me on this one so I'll take your word for it.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084
    Ghedebrav said:

Well, England won without looking like a World Cup winning side, and many players were completely knackered towards the end.

Ghedebrav said:

Well, England won without looking like a World Cup winning side, and many players were completely knackered towards the end.
    Fitness really does look like an issue, but I guess a few players can be rested for the final group game.
    https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1684873633221464065

BREAKING: UK and Ireland's bid to host Euro 2028 set to be unopposed
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,139

HYUFD said:

Not Maidenhead. Teresa May is very popular locally. It was a Lib Dem Target Seat in 2005 (anyone remember the great Decapitation Strategy?) but Windsor and Wokingham are more attractive.
    Teresa May?

She's popular wherever she goes, I think.
    Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

https://archive.is/1GK1C
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    edited July 2023
    Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

For all those of you who want to read the Times article on "Is Bridget Phillipson Labour’s rising star?" https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/bridget-phillipson-labour-mp-interview-keir-starmer-txwlwn78d but you don't have a Times account, you can use this link

(if you go to www.archive.org or www.archive.is and search for the link it'll give you the archived content, which may be non-paywalled)

Her twitter is here: https://twitter.com/bphillipsonMP/status/1684845472735784961
    tlg86 said:

Football's coming home. 62 years of hurt...
    TimS said:

tlg86 said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

I think it's very helpful for Labour to raise the profile of their front bench. There are a number who are not that well known yet quite impressive. Bridget is one of them, Johnny Reynolds (another North Easterner) is another. Everyone knows Wes Streeting now and he's a net asset to Starmer. Lisa Nandy is a good media performer, is a good foil for Gove and usually comes across as reasonable and thoughtful. Reeves is fairly well known but a bit more neutral as a media performer. And it's helpful having someone like Yvette Cooper in home office as well, as a reminder that the front bench has some government experience.

All arseholes who'll make a terrible and appalling left-wing government that will be insufferable from day one and every day thereafter.
    tlg86 said:

We normally get these pieces in the last 12-18 months before a prospective change in administration.

We had it with the Tory Tatler stuff in The Times in 2009, if memory serves me correctly.
    tlg86 said:

Excellent - while I'm not a huge fan of multi-national hosting, a 32 team Euros would likely see at least three of the five here qualify anyway.

Still think 2-4 more stadiums could have been accommodated - I'd have wanted a Yorkshire ground (probably Hillsborough), St. Marys, Murrayfield and either somewhere East of England, or another Irish stadium (most likely Croke Park).

Still, lolz at no Old Trafford, Anfield or Emirates.

tlg86 said:

Football's coming home. 62 years of hurt...
    That puts it into perspective. “30 years of hurt” will have been 32 years ago!

Yet 1966 might as well have been 1866 to me, because I wasn’t around at the time.
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,375

Ghedebrav said:

The standard of football at this tournament has been very poor especially compared to the Euro finals

HYUFD said:

Teresa May?

She's popular wherever she goes, I th

tlg86 said:

When people aspire to Truss-ism it marks them as too stupid to be idiots. I will classify her as another empty husk, devoid of any ability. Like Truss, Raaaaaaab, etc

If she wants to play to the gallery she should at least have tried acting.
    At least you can see it.

tlg86 said:

We normally get these pieces in the last 12-18 months before a prospective change in administration.

We had it with the Tory Tatler stuff in The Times in 2009, if memory serves me correctly.
    It's always a bit jarring the way they combine political profiles with fashion shoots. Seems to be a long standing tradition, do an interview with a politician (or other public figure) and then have little footnotes saying where the jacket or shoes came from.
    Ghedebrav said:

You're a time-traveller and you're posting on this blog some 1,145 years too late?
    Peck said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

I got as far as this: "Phillipson sensed she was living 'on the margins' of society. She became painfully shy, refusing to even open her mouth in front of strangers. People would ask her mother whether she had a speech impediment. 'I always felt a bit of an outsider because my mum was a single parent.'"

Good luck to her, and you gotta build some kinda narrative, and it's gotta be based on your feelings, so I don't want to diss her, but if you're on the margins of society you're not going to be an outsider just because your mum's a single parent. No way, Jose. (Incidentally this info doesn't come from reading the Guardian or talking to social workers.)
  • SirNorfolkPassmoreSirNorfolkPassmore Posts: 7,065
    edited July 2023
    On topic, whilst this list is pretty helpful for the Lib Dems in terms of Focus leaflets, the actual background story isn't as helpful.

There have been grumbles from Labour associations in no-hope areas like these that they didn't get to select candidates in 2017 and 2019 because both were snap elections and they were at the back of the queue. If that was the case again this time, you'd have associations that won't have selected their own candidate in over a decade, and you can see that further demoralises members in an area that isn't great anyway.

So, in May, Labour's National Executive Committee agreed a fast track process for a tranche of low priority seats (these ones). But the quid pro quo, to avoid potentially embarrassing candidates by pretty moribund associations vulnerable to BJO-types seizing control, would be that Regional Executive Committees would dominate the shortlisting process. So these seats would have a choice of a boringly loyal elderly councillor, reliable and earnest primary school teacher, or an ambitious youngster getting a first run out.

So these seats will potentially get a Labour candidate a bit earlier than might otherwise have been the case. That isn't as good for the Lib Dems (although I'm personally quite sceptical of the value of getting a minor candidate in place before the campaign - nobody really focuses on who these people are until the campaign proper, and many don't even then).
    TimS said:

tlg86 said:

It's always a bit jarring the way they combine political profiles with fashion shoots. Seems to be a long standing tradition, do an interview with a politician (or other public figure) and then have little footnotes saying where the jacket or shoes came from.
    They do it because it works.

Ghedebrav said:

You're a time-traveller and you're posting on this blog some 1,145 years too late?
    The abject complacency as well - counting chickens at Stamford Bridge not realising the Normans are massing to the South.
    Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

geoffw said:

What's that nature reserve thingy with historical monuments? Is it a sort of St Fagans or Weald and Downland Museum with buildings moved to some nice park? Or what?
    I have no insurance. I’m surfing my luck. Irresponsible I know

The photo above is of an actual castle. Kamianets Podilskiy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamianets-Podilskyi

• Sean_FSean_F Posts: 36,759
    Labour will never help the Lib Dems, so long as they remember their history. The Liberals helped out Labour in the 1900's and got destroyed by them.
    Leon said:

Carnyx said:

Leon said:

Ghedebrav said:

geoffw said:

I have no insurance. I’m surfing my luck. Irresponsible I know

The photo above is of an actual castle. Kamianets Podilskiy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kamianets-Podilskyi

Looked further. Translation hiccup leading to confusion on my part I think - but then 'monument' can be natural in Mitteleuropaeische practice. Sounds more like a National Park in England, in which K-P is located?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podilski_Tovtry_National_Nature_Park
    Peck said:

Peck said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

I got as far as this: "Phillipson sensed she was living 'on the margins' of society. She became painfully shy, refusing to even open her mouth in front of strangers. People would ask her mother whether she had a speech impediment. 'I always felt a bit of an outsider because my mum was a single parent.'"

Good luck to her, and you gotta build some kinda narrative, and it's gotta be based on your feelings, so I don't want to diss her, but if you're on the margins of society you're not going to be an outsider just because your mum's a single parent. No way, Jose. (Incidentally this info doesn't come from reading the Guardian or talking to social workers.)
    Have you ever been to Washington, Co Durham?
    This kid Stuart Broad can bowl a bit. He could do well for England in future.

Ghedebrav said:

The standard of football at this tournament has been very poor especially compared to the Euro finals
    My go-to explanation is heat and humidity. Tournaments like to follow the sun, and in general our players are not conditioned for it. Whether that is actually true in this case, I'm not sure but it does explain, for instance, why for decades European teams tended to win the (men's) World Cup in Europe, and South American teams in South America.
    Sean_F said:

Labour will never help the Lib Dems, so long as they remember their history. The Liberals helped out Labour in the 1900's and got destroyed by them.

But, they still expect the Lib Dems to help them and be bloody grateful for it as well.
    edited July 2023
    Peck said:

Peck said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

I've not read the paywalled Times interview but from your extract, it does sound a bit "poor little rich boy" just as when Prince Harry pulls the same one parent family schtick. It might impress the affluent, private school types who run politics in all parties but for many in society, this is just normal life.
    Vanilla seems a bit sticky.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,465

On topic, whilst this list is pretty helpful for the Lib Dems in terms of Focus leaflets, the actual background story isn't as helpful.

There have been grumbles from Labour associations in no-hope areas like these that they didn't get to select candidates in 2017 and 2019 because both were snap elections and they were at the back of the queue. If that was the case again this time, you'd have associations that won't have selected their own candidate in over a decade, and you can see that further demoralises members in an area that isn't great anyway.

So, in May, Labour's National Executive Committee agreed a fast track process for a tranche of low priority seats (these ones). But the quid pro quo, to avoid potentially embarrassing candidates by pretty moribund associations vulnerable to BJO-types seizing control, would be that Regional Executive Committees would dominate the shortlisting process. So these seats would have a choice of a boringly loyal elderly councillor, reliable and earnest primary school teacher, or an ambitious youngster getting a first run out.

So these seats will potentially get a Labour candidate a bit earlier than might otherwise have been the case. That isn't as good for the Lib Dems (although I'm personally quite sceptical of the value of getting a minor candidate in place before the campaign - nobody really focuses on who these people are until the campaign proper, and many don't even then).

Yes, I think that's a fair summary. How hard an individual campaign is pushed is (for all parties) partly a function of the local party and the candidate. The ambitious youngsters certainly won't sit back and just put out one leaflet. The elderly councillors might. Some parties have very keen local activists with seats on the council who love elections and will be out pushing the party in every way; others will quietly focus on target seats elsewhere. The difficult areas will be places like mid-Beds where Labour has evidence that it can actually win but the LibDems also fancy their chances - we could easily end up with splitting the opposition vote in such seats down the middle.

Anecdotally, I thought about going for Wantage, where I have some good local connections and the Labour vote is non-trivial (2nd place with 27% in 2017, but 3rd in 2019). But I don't do things by halves and would be a full-on candidate pounding the streets every weekend for a year, and I don't think that's really what the party wants in most of these seats (and I've decided at age 73 not to be quite that zealous).
    edited July 2023

Peck said:

Peck said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

I've not read the paywalled Times interview but from your extract, it does sound a bit "poor little rich boy" just as when Prince Harry pulls the same one parent family schtick. It might impress the affluent, private school types who run politics in all parties but for many in society, this is just normal life.
    You should read the whole article. There is no doubt that she was both very poor and grew up in one of the most socially deprived towns in the country.

Incidentally, I’m pretty sure that the picture with SKS features Reeves, not Phillipson.

I’m also impressed that she chose not to trade back stories with Gillian Keegan - she’d have won.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    "Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

In case you've not noticed the entire point of Brexit --to build a different economy-- is being dumped. Both Left & Right are now fully committed to mass cheap migration to keep big business happy, wages low, downward pressure on lower paid British workers, weaken their bargaining power & distort the market

We need a different politics"

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1684859053875269632

Peck said:

Peck said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

Haven't read it either - but single-parent is a strong correlative of poverty, and of illegitimacy (and so easily unfairly seen by observers as evidence for the latter: e.g. in the playground).
  • NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,375

Ghedebrav said:

My go-to explanation is heat and humidity. Tournaments like to follow the sun, and in general our players are not conditioned for it. Whether that is actually true in this case, I'm not sure but it does explain, for instance, why for decades European teams tended to win the (men's) World Cup in Europe, and South American teams in South America.
    The euros were a brilliant advert for Womens football, this tournament certainly isn't. Its been like watching kids football.
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

In case you've not noticed the entire point of Brexit --to build a different economy-- is being dumped. Both Left & Right are now fully committed to mass cheap migration to keep big business happy, wages low, downward pressure on lower paid British workers, weaken their bargaining power & distort the market

Oh God I agree with Matt Goodwin. I am bad.

Peck said:

Peck said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

It seems her family was genuinely poor, in a very down at heel part of Washington and dependent on benefits for much of her childhood. So not really Prince Harry-esque.
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605

Peck said:

Peck said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

I have, I have worked there and also lived there. There are some really shit parts and some really really nice parts. Like many other parts of the country.
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

‘Different economy’! In other words both left and right decided that lower GDP was not what they’d be pursuing.
    edited July 2023
    Taz said:

Peck said:

Peck said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

I have, I have worked there and also lived there. There are some really shit parts and some really really nice parts. Like many other parts of the country.
    Granted it’s probably (one would definitely hope) improved since the 1980s and early 1990s, which is when I knew it, and which was also when Phillipson was growing up there.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 49,568
    HYUFD said:

You're missing the point.

It doesn't matter that there are (also) hopeless prospects for the LDs on there.

What matters is that their good prospects ARE.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    "'Good news for London' says Khan, as £12.50 Ulez expansion approved"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-london-66328175
    edited July 2023

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

‘Different economy’! In other words both left and right decided that lower GDP was not what they’d be pursuing.
    GDP *per capita* is the more important statistic, alongside productivity.

Adding another million to the population, many of whom are on minimum wage, only exacerbates the housing shortage.
    Andy_JS said:

And just up -

.Khan says taxpayers' money 'wasted' in court case

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has just been speaking to the BBC.

He told us: "I welcome the judgement today. I've been told more than £1m of council taxpayers' money has been wasted on this case".

He adds: "I'm quite clear though, I made this decision to expand Ulez because it is really important we address the public health crisis."

Asked about increased costs to Londoners, Khan says nine out of 10 cars in London are already compliant with Ulez and the scrappage scheme would offer support.'
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

Good luck with wanting a different politics. It's reminiscent of Blair's contribution to climate change (discussed not long ago on a recent thread.).

Blair had, IIRC, a 4 step solution to climate change. There were two key concepts. One was 'Global Solutions'. The other was 'Many Trillions of Other Peoples Money'.

The idea that 'Global Solutions' describes the solution and not the impossible problem is risible.

The 'International Community', 'International Institutions', the 'United Nations' and so on can't even sort out a dispute between warlords in Sudan, protect the Rohingya or stop Russian invasions.

A proper batsmen’s innings from Labuchagne there. Nine runs from 82 balls!
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,318
    edited July 2023

Peck said:

Peck said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

Pedant alert. Technically Washington is in the abomination that is Tyne and Wear, not County Durham.

I would have topped myself if my local shopping centre growing up was the Galleries tbf.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

Oh God I agree with Matt Goodwin. I am bad.
    Agreeing with Matt Goodwin means I have to refer you to Prevent.

Peck said:

Peck said:

Ghedebrav said:

Scott_xP said:

tlg86 said:

Pedant alert. Technically Washington is in the abomination that is Tyne and Wear, not County Durham.

I would have topped myself if my local shopping centre growing up was the Galleries tbf.
    Fair enough. My memory of it was of it being in Durham, and it allows us to talk of Washington CD as opposed to Washington DC!
  • TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 41,503
    Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

We certainly need those who bleat from the sidelines about a different politics and what voters really want to get off their arses and see if they can persuade people to vote for them.
  • FishingFishing Posts: 4,766

Sean_F said:

But, they still expect the Lib Dems to help them and be bloody grateful for it as well.
    If the Lib Dems had any political judgment, they'd be more than a rounding error in Parliament that wins occasional by-elections.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,687
    Carnyx said:

Andy_JS said:

And just up -

.Khan says taxpayers' money 'wasted' in court case

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan has just been speaking to the BBC.

He told us: "I welcome the judgement today. I've been told more than £1m of council taxpayers' money has been wasted on this case".

He adds: "I'm quite clear though, I made this decision to expand Ulez because it is really important we address the public health crisis."

Asked about increased costs to Londoners, Khan says nine out of 10 cars in London are already compliant with Ulez and the scrappage scheme would offer support.'
    Good luck to the Tories if the best they can come up with is a "let climate change rip" stance, for short-term political advantage.

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

Based on US work in Afghanistan there is a case for saying GDP is the wrong index (it should be household income)

Ghedebrav said:

The euros were a brilliant advert for Womens football, this tournament certainly isn't. Its been like watching kids football.
    The reason for watching elite sport is to see those moments when, just occasionally, God smiles at a pitch (or court or track or racecourse). That has not happened yet, nor looked like it will be any time soon. There's still the partisan element; we want our team to win; but there's been nothing to make your jaw drop; nothing to make you ask your companion, did you see that?
    algarkirk said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

Good luck with wanting a different politics. It's reminiscent of Blair's contribution to climate change (discussed not long ago on a recent thread.).

Blair had, IIRC, a 4 step solution to climate change. There were two key concepts. One was 'Global Solutions'. The other was 'Many Trillions of Other Peoples Money'.

The idea that 'Global Solutions' describes the solution and not the impossible problem is risible.

The 'International Community', 'International Institutions', the 'United Nations' and so on can't even sort out a dispute between warlords in Sudan, protect the Rohingya or stop Russian invasions.

Both are excellent examples of "begging the question".
    edited July 2023
    viewcode said:

Andy_JS said:

"Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

Based on US work in Afghanistan there is a case for saying GDP is the wrong index (it should be household income)
    GDP can be horribly skewed and per capita does not help. Household surplus income after housing costs might be better but would reveal how futile our high house prices are. Really, all economic statistics are rubbish because they only approximate what we really want to know.
This discussion has been closed.