Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Is this a deliberate LAB move to help the LDs? – politicalbetting.com

12346»

Comments

• LeonLeon Posts: 53,240
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

This place. It’s a deeply provincial city in a seriously poor country. Albeit with a biggish university

The beauty of the women is like a highly fashionable bar in Shoreditch or Brooklyn or Le Marais

The quality of women in Eastern Europe is simple exceptional.
    Don’t you have a Bulgarian wife? Nicely done

Yes it is exceptional. Ukraine is maybe where it crosses from exceptional to ridiculous

I’m sitting here (honestly trying not to perv, like a sad old knapper)
    Fail.
    I know, lol

• MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,420
    Peck said:

algarkirk said:

This, from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/28/serious-failings-contributed-to-babys-death-in-12-hour-lone-prison-birth

The usual will be said about lessons, failings, training, procedures and recommendations. It will all be untrue because what this involves is cruelty and murderousness wickedness. This does not happen by accident.

It doesn't come from nowhere. The way in which tabloids dehumanise people is a factor. We see it also in the way we often talk about the political opposition on here too. It strips away empathy and allows ordinary people to do inhumane things.
    It’s an institutional problem - the same shit has happened over the centuries, many times.

Jobsworthism. “I filled out all the forms”
    Rape has happened a lot too.

Also before say 1850 it's not as if the state as an institution that employs millions of officials was anything like what it is today.
    I suggest you read the accounts of 19th cent prison reformers. It was jobsworthism all the way - actual full on brutality was problem, but lesser.

The preference for the employment of a certain kind of unthinking box ticker by large institutions was noticed long ago. In the Roman army, for example.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,757

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

This, from the Guardian:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2023/jul/28/serious-failings-contributed-to-babys-death-in-12-hour-lone-prison-birth

The usual will be said about lessons, failings, training, procedures and recommendations. It will all be untrue because what this involves is cruelty and murderousness wickedness. This does not happen by accident.

As with the GMP wrongful conviction, it will be ‘mistakes were made’.
    In the GMP case it seems to me utterly deliberate; the prison case is perhaps one of they just didn’t give a damn. Which is different, but equally bad.
    j

Lessons Will Be Learned*

*no actual lessons may or may not be learned.
    Those exact words were used when trying to excuse the GMP wrongful conviction case.
    I don’t think they meant ‘don’t deliberately frame innocent people’ as the lesson.
    That’s code for nothing will change

It’s like a Masonic handshake in the NU10K. Anyone trying to do anything further will be labelled “vindictive” - that’s the party line.
    I laughed when I heard it on R4.
    It was so patently insincere.

They deliberately (IMO, on the reporting of the case) imprisoned - and kept imprisoned for nearly two decades - an innocent man.
    But why not do that?

Letting him out was admission of a problem. To do so before 2 decades have passed risked promotions and better jobs not happening for those involved.

Have you no compassion?
    From the reporting, they suppressed the evidence before the original trial.
    It’s not covering up a mistake, but a blatant injustice.

Prima facie, there ought to be a criminal investigation for misconduct in public office.
    The victim ought to sue for malicious prosecution.
    A question for the collective.

I’m on holiday - rented house.

As usual, the kitchen gear includes a cheap block of knifes. Unusually, there was a steel in the drawer.

Over a period of a week, I’ve sharpened one knife to what I refer to as useable. Slices through meat and fish cleanly, without effort.

It occurs to me that this is a dangerous thing. If you assume it’s the usual blunt thing…. Almost a bobby trap. But it seems very wrong to blunt a knife.

What should I do?
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

algarkirk said:

This, from the Guardian:

As with the GMP wrongful conviction, it will be ‘mistakes were made’.
    In the GMP case it seems to me utterly deliberate; the prison case is perhaps one of they just didn’t give a damn. Which is different, but equally bad.
    j

Lessons Will Be Learned*

*no actual lessons may or may not be learned.
    Those exact words were used when trying to excuse the GMP wrongful conviction case.
    I don’t think they meant ‘don’t deliberately frame innocent people’ as the lesson.
    That’s code for nothing will change

It’s like a Masonic handshake in the NU10K. Anyone trying to do anything further will be labelled “vindictive” - that’s the party line.
    I laughed when I heard it on R4.
    It was so patently insincere.

They deliberately (IMO, on the reporting of the case) imprisoned - and kept imprisoned for nearly two decades - an innocent man.
    But why not do that?

Letting him out was admission of a problem. To do so before 2 decades have passed risked promotions and better jobs not happening for those involved.

Have you no compassion?
    From the reporting, they suppressed the evidence before the original trial.
    It’s not covering up a mistake, but a blatant injustice.

Prima facie, there ought to be a criminal investigation for misconduct in public office.
    The victim ought to sue for malicious prosecution.
    But that would risk members of the Senior Management Team needing to move jobs. Or even find junior officers to be sacrificial victims. That sounds like hard work. And these people aren’t good at hard work,
  • TazTaz Posts: 13,605
    edited July 2023

As usual, the kitchen gear includes a cheap block of knifes. Unusually, there was a steel in the drawer.

Over a period of a week, I’ve sharpened one knife to what I refer to as useable. Slices through meat and fish cleanly, without effort.

It occurs to me that this is a dangerous thing. If you assume it’s the usual blunt thing…. Almost a bobby trap. But it seems very wrong to blunt a knife.

What should I do?

I think you should leave it. It’s a kitchen knife after all. The next people will probably sharpen it if you don’t leave it sharp.
  • boulayboulay Posts: 5,369
    Leon said:

Leon said:

This place. It’s a deeply provincial city in a seriously poor country. Albeit with a biggish university

The beauty of the women is like a highly fashionable bar in Shoreditch or Brooklyn or Le Marais

Yes it is exceptional. Ukraine is maybe where it crosses from exceptional to ridiculous

I’m sitting here (honestly trying not to perv, like a sad old knapper) yet the last 6 women to come into the restaurant have been absolutely gorgeous. They also REALLY dress up. Hair perfect, nails perfect, everyone is slim, etc

To get the equivalent in the west you’d have to go to London, NYC or Paris, as I say

Yet this is a smallish provincial city with poor people and a university. The equivalent in the UK might be Norwich
    Slavic women are classically beautiful. In my twenties I was married to one who was a model as were her two sisters. Physically perfect looking, weirdly religious but in your twenties you can’t help but be a little pleased with yourself having a statuesque goddess on your arm. This was after years of classic English blondes. Then my tastes have gradually changed. The love of my life is still, to me, the most beautiful woman in the world and is French Arab, after that went wrong I was with a Portuguese girl for a few years. My taste has gone from youth wanting the Pamela Anderson type, a bit older the gorgeous Slav, and gradually I found myself much more attracted to Mediterranean, Middle Eastern or South American women with darker features.

I can look at a beautiful statuesque Slav and appreciate they are “beautiful” but it’s a different feel from being actually attracted to them. Almost like they are a stunning painting, nice to look at but doesn’t make me feel warm inside.

I’m not sure if this is common where you go through a gradual shift over time in what attracts you - I guess so many people marry and stick at it from their twenties that they never really find out.
  • nico679nico679 Posts: 5,907

What should I do?

You returned the knife to its former glory . Knives are supposed to be sharp . The next guests should thank you.

What should I do?

Leave a note

I’ve had the same experience as you, so many times: rented apartment/house = shitty knives. It gets quite annoying

Indeed as someone who travels endlessly I’ve learned to bring a couple of my own super sharp knives wherever I go. Simple Every Day Carry handknives, the Ontario Rat or something: sharpened to a hard edge

https://ontario-knife-store.com/rat-knives/

I also bring: a small fork, a small spoon, a proper corkscrew, a Swiss Army Knife, a multi tool, and a head torch. They all fit in a small bag like them ones they give away in Biz class

In another bag I always bring with me: a bottle of sriracha, a bottle of soy, a peppercorn grinder (full), sea salt (ditto), Tabasco

These can save almost any meal. I was pleased a few years ago to discover that Byron did the same on his travels. Brought spicy sauces from London to rescue bad meals. Kind of reverses expectations
    nico679 said:

What should I do?

You returned the knife to its former glory . Knives are supposed to be sharp . The next guests should thank you.
    Perhaps I should have been more honest - it’s at the “God would be cut” stage. Someone fucks up with it and it’ll be a hospital job.
    edited July 2023
    Elevated political discourse…

Democrat mocks Greene after call for decorum: ‘She showed us a d‑‑‑ pic last week’
    https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4124921-democrat-mocks-greene-after-call-for-decorum-she-showed-us-a-d-pic-last-week/

‘Jackasses,’ ‘little s‑‑‑‑’: GOP congressman curses out teenage Senate pages
    https://thehill.com/homenews/4123626-gop-congressman-curses-out-teenage-senate-pages/
    Taz said:

What should I do?

I think you should leave it. It’s a kitchen knife after all. The next people will probably sharpen it if you don’t leave it sharp.
    Most people don’t care. Most kitchen knives in the Western World are blunt - outside professional kitchens.
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I’m sitting here (honestly trying not to perv, like a sad old knapper) yet the last 6 women to come into the restaurant have been absolutely gorgeous. They also REALLY dress up. Hair perfect, nails perfect, everyone is slim, etc

To get the equivalent in the west you’d have to go to London, NYC or Paris, as I say

Yet this is a smallish provincial city with poor people and a university. The equivalent in the UK might be Norwich
    Slavic women are classically beautiful. In my twenties I was married to one who was a model as were her two sisters. Physically perfect looking, weirdly religious but in your twenties you can’t help but be a little pleased with yourself having a statuesque goddess on your arm. This was after years of classic English blondes. Then my tastes have gradually changed. The love of my life is still, to me, the most beautiful woman in the world and is French Arab, after that went wrong I was with a Portuguese girl for a few years. My taste has gone from youth wanting the Pamela Anderson type, a bit older the gorgeous Slav, and gradually I found myself much more attracted to Mediterranean, Middle Eastern or South American women with darker features.

I can look at a beautiful statuesque Slav and appreciate they are “beautiful” but it’s a different feel from being actually attracted to them. Almost like they are a stunning painting, nice to look at but doesn’t make me feel warm inside.

I’m not sure if this is common where you go through a gradual shift over time in what attracts you - I guess so many people marry and stick at it from their twenties that they never really find out.
    I half agree. The women here are unquestionably lovely. But almost too lovely. Too perfect. Like models on a catwalk. Amazing to look at, but sexy? Hmm. Not always

On the other hand my type has NOT changed through my life. Petite, elfin, funny, witty, kooky, manic pixie dream girl. Them
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 118,517
    RFK Jr. Is complaining about not having Secret Service protection, saying:

“Since the assassination of my father in 1968, candidates for president are provided Secret Service protection.  But not me.”

Here is a fact that he has left out though:

In the 2016 presidential election, out of the 20+ candidates in the primaries, only Donald Trump, Ben Carson, Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders received Secret Service protection.

Additionally I have not been able to find a single case of a candidate trying to primary an incumbent getting Secret Service protection in modern history.

A series of criteria must be met before taxpayers start footing hundreds of thousands of dollars in bills for a candidate. RFK Jr. appears to not have met that criteria.

It’s that simple.

https://twitter.com/krassenstein/status/1684973654063423509?s=46

Taz said:

What should I do?

Most people don’t care. Most kitchen knives in the Western World are blunt - outside professional kitchens.
    You could just sit outside the front of the house sharpening all the kitchen knives rocking back and forward. Sharpening knives is weirdly therapeutic whilst also giving the neighbours something to liven up their week as they board up the windows.
  • PeckPeck Posts: 517

Peck said:

algarkirk said:

This, from the Guardian:

"Only one prison officer, who didn’t even do anything wrong, said sorry to me directly."

That sounds 100% true. The guilty have no conscience. It's the innocent who have one.

See also that the SS had promised to capture the baby at birth. Subsequent events suggest the baby wasn't considered "Ideal Adoption Material". There should be an international-sized scandal about what the SS do in Britain, and secret family courts (don't speak to a journalist about what happened in one of them - they'll lock you up if you do) and the way that thousands of women are labelled unfit to breed... Don't expect the tabloids or the "quality" press in the country to say anything though - any more than they've been kicking up a fuss about the trafficking - oh, I mean "disappearance" - of unaccompanied child refugees in Brighton.

For FOUR YEARS the authorities seem to have been disciplinarily investigating the screw who received her call for medical help and ignored it. I wonder what details they're investigating?

Recommended: a film called "Traffic" made in 2014 and another called "Traffic 2" made in 2017.
    From an earlier post. Would you think that an unaccompanied minor immigrant would be better off

1) in a repurposed country hotel.
    2) in the care of social services.

I once suggested to the then Home Sec. that the correct response to the smug “we are untouchable because we have destroyed the records” from some at Rotherham demanded this response - put those in charge on the sex offenders registers.
    1 is a type of building. 2 is a type of organisation. Hotels and SS have both been unacceptably bad. In the abstract it could be argued that it would be preferable to take a chance on the SS rather than put children into a hotel connected with Hoogstraten and then keep on doing it after they keep "disappearing", bundled off in vehicles from across the street. But both SS and Hoogstraten are evil.

Defund the SS.

This could even be put in Cummingsian terms as start building an alternative in the car park and let what was the SS just rot.

Taz said:

What should I do?

Indeed. I know people who go their whole lives not realizing their kitchen knives are absurdly blunt. Then you sharpen a few for them, and it’s Wow!

I can’t abide a blunt knife. I want to slice through a tomato like it is air

“Since the assassination of my father in 1968, candidates for president are provided Secret Service protection.  But not me.”

In the 2016 presidential election, out of the 20+ candidates in the primaries, only Donald Trump, Ben Carson, Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders received Secret Service protection.

Additionally I have not been able to find a single case of a candidate trying to primary an incumbent getting Secret Service protection in modern history.

A series of criteria must be met before taxpayers start footing hundreds of thousands of dollars in bills for a candidate. RFK Jr. appears to not have met that criteria.

It’s that simple.

Bullshitters gotta bullshit.
    Leon said:

Taz said:

What should I do?

Indeed. I know people who go their whole lives not realizing their kitchen knives are absurdly blunt. Then you sharpen a few for them, and it’s Wow!

I’ve seen a lot of people sharpen knives and then go for it with the knife without realising there are tiny micro parts of metal so make sure you give the blade a wipe before sticking it in whatever or whoever you are about to carve and eat.
  • LennonLennon Posts: 1,768
    edited July 2023

nico679 said:

What should I do?

Perhaps I should have been more honest - it’s at the “God would be cut” stage. Someone fucks up with it and it’ll be a hospital job.
    Can you leave a note on it or wrap it up in something to highlight the difference, rather than just leave in the knife block like a weird knife version of russian roulette...
    Lennon said:

nico679 said:

What should I do?

Can you leave a note on it or wrap it up in something to highlight the difference, rather than just leave in the knife block like a weird knife version of russian roulette...
    I think it’s best left to Darwinism - if you don’t understand knives are sharp and toss around with it then you deserve the lesson.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 31,357
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

How would you assess English women?
    Andy_JS said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

They are all different?
  • OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,544

Taz said:

What should I do?

Maybe most people don't want their kids slicing their fingers off.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    edited July 2023

It’s that simple.

Ben Carson got Secret Service protection after threats from militants, even though he did not end up in the last 2 for the 2016 GOP nomination unlike Trump and Cruz. So it depends on the threat level to presidential candidates as well as their campaign strength
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/19/donald-trump-ben-carson-secret-service-protection#:~:text=It said the Secret Service,be targeting a political candidate.
    boulay said:

Taz said:

What should I do?

You could just sit outside the front of the house sharpening all the kitchen knives rocking back and forward. Sharpening knives is weirdly therapeutic whilst also giving the neighbours something to liven up their week as they board up the windows.
    I do the equivalent with fissile assemblies and a screw driver. Knife sharpening is so blasé…
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,003
    rcs1000 said:

Leon said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I half agree. The women here are unquestionably lovely. But almost too lovely. Too perfect. Like models on a catwalk. Amazing to look at, but sexy? Hmm. Not always

On the other hand my type has NOT changed through my life. Petite, elfin, funny, witty, kooky, manic pixie dream girl. Them
    Like this, you mean?

She prefers Balls

Taz said:

What should I do?

Blunt knifes are more dangerous. As is any kind of blunt tool. Ask any professional.

If you have to use force, danger.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866

Taz said:

What should I do?

I'd say that sharp knives are safer.

Less likely to slip etc.

Personally I have a pocket knife in my manbag to use at restaurants that supply blunt steak knives. Seems easier than a small steel.
    boulay said:

Leon said:

Taz said:

What should I do?

I’ve seen a lot of people sharpen knives and then go for it with the knife without realising there are tiny micro parts of metal so make sure you give the blade a wipe before sticking it in whatever or whoever you are about to carve and eat.
    Yup - I’ve had to do the one of wiping the steel on kitchen towel to show people what is going in their food…

Wash the blade
    Sharpen
    Wash the blade

It’s not hard….
  • StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 16,544
    Peck said:

algarkirk said:

This, from the Guardian:

"Only one prison officer, who didn’t even do anything wrong, said sorry to me directly."

That sounds 100% true. The guilty have no conscience. It's the innocent who have one.

See also that the SS had promised to capture the baby at birth. Subsequent events suggest the baby wasn't considered "Ideal Adoption Material". There should be an international-sized scandal about what the SS do in Britain, and secret family courts (don't speak to a journalist about what happened in one of them - they'll lock you up if you do) and the way that thousands of women are labelled unfit to breed... Don't expect the tabloids or the "quality" press in the country to say anything though - any more than they've been kicking up a fuss about the trafficking - oh, I mean "disappearance" - of unaccompanied child refugees in Brighton.
    'Sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is.'
    MattW said:

Taz said:

What should I do?

I'd say that sharp knives are safer.

Less likely to slip etc.

Personally I have a pocket knife in my manbag to use at restaurants that supply blunt steak knives. Seems easier than a small steel.
    Also, if something does go wrong, sharp knives tend to make less mess.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,574

What should I do?

Add an ISO 7010-compliant sign to the front of the drawer.

https://www.iso.org/obp/ui#iso:grs:7010:W022

https://www.iso.org/obp/graphics/grs/b8c23406-bbd3-4663-91c3-16ca5881bb8e_200.png
    Peck said:

Peck said:

algarkirk said:

This, from the Guardian:

For FOUR YEARS the authorities seem to have been disciplinarily investigating the screw who received her call for medical help and ignored it. I wonder what details they're investigating?

Recommended: a film called "Traffic" made in 2014 and another called "Traffic 2" made in 2017.
    From an earlier post. Would you think that an unaccompanied minor immigrant would be better off

1) in a repurposed country hotel.
    2) in the care of social services.

I once suggested to the then Home Sec. that the correct response to the smug “we are untouchable because we have destroyed the records” from some at Rotherham demanded this response - put those in charge on the sex offenders registers.
    1 is a type of building. 2 is a type of organisation. Hotels and SS have both been unacceptably bad. In the abstract it could be argued that it would be preferable to take a chance on the SS rather than put children into a hotel connected with Hoogstraten and then keep on doing it after they keep "disappearing", bundled off in vehicles from across the street. But both SS and Hoogstraten are evil.

Defund the SS.

This could even be put in Cummingsian terms as start building an alternative in the car park and let what was the SS just rot.
    What about handing the children to the SD? - they were the classier organisation.
  • DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 27,084

Taz said:

What should I do?

Chefs will tell you that blunt knives are more likely to slip off the food and onto your fingers.
    Lennon said:

nico679 said:

What should I do?

Was wondering if I should try driving into the granite counter top. Not sure how to engrave a suitable bit of Latin, though.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    boulay said:

Andy_JS said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

They are all different?
    Quite a wide-ranging assessment that didn't quite meet the brief, I feel.
    Ukraine moves Christmas Day in snub to Russia
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66341617

Ukraine has moved Christmas to proper Christmas instead of Russian Orthodox Christmas, 25/12 from 7/1.

Lennon said:

nico679 said:

What should I do?

Was wondering if I should try driving into the granite counter top. Not sure how to engrave a suitable bit of Latin, though.
    It's a knife. Stop being so bloody precious, put it back in the block and concentrate on warning the next tenant about dangerous levels of electricity in the walls and glass in the windows.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 21,866
    This thread has lost its wicket.
    viewcode said:

boulay said:

Andy_JS said:

boulay said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

They are all different?
    Quite a wide-ranging assessment that didn't quite meet the brief, I feel.
    I know, I didn’t want to be slut-shamed by expanding and couldn’t be arsed to write a minor dissertation about how I was generalising on looks and certain characteristics of what I find attractive now and the myriad of looks and characteristics of English women. I would inevitably offend someone or, more likely, everyone.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 21,053
    edited July 2023
    [deleted]
  • LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 17,446

What should I do?

Leave a note.
This discussion has been closed.