Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If BoJo got re-elected would the 90 day suspension apply? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,753
    Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

So when the economy implodes and inflation is low and growth is poor causing a recession, the poor have to shoulder the burden via austerity.

When the economy implodes and inflation is high, the Bank of England should CAUSE a recession, forcing the poor to have less purchasing power and less job security, shouldering the burden anyway.

Why do we have this economic system? Like, it isn't a force of nature, we designed things this way - why is it talked about as if these aren't political decisions to allow rich people to stay rich and poor people to get poorer? It's obscene...

Because the system, if it is working properly, is the least worst option.

By working properly, I mean that there is support to allow those at the bottom to climb up the ladder, and protections in place to stop abuses from occurring at the top.

At the moment, it is hard to say that our system in the UK is working as well as it could be…. For a myriad of reasons I would blame on successive governments of all colours.
    So the system has just never worked properly in my adult life? I am 32...
    Correct. Most people under 40 don’t know anything except interest rates being effectively zero.
    How this came about is not surprising - a planning system gradually accumulated that resulted in slow house building. This worked when the population was increasing slowly.

It began to fail when the population began to increase rapidly.

I do like the brain stretching by those who advocate rapid population increase, but don’t want rapid home building to match - because “save the countryside”…

- All the flats are empty.
    - All the flats have been stolen by Fu Manchu.
    - There are enough bedrooms - just need to allocate them by the National Home Allocation service.
    - living in HMO is perfectly fine for people raising families.
    - Etc

The simple reality is that the ship has sailed. The people exist. They are not going to vanish. We have 8 million fewer homes than France and a similar population.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,818

Cyclefree said:

We're reliving the 1970's.

The police certainly seem stuck there - though a judge criticising the "shocking" way the police treated a female police officer who blew the whistle on a colleague who has been convicted of 6 rapes of a colleague and 2 rapes of a 16 year old girl - is a welcome change: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/metropolitan-police-ignored-officers-complaint-about-rapist-colleague-bz7265nzq.

Then there is the NCA which has been found by a police watchdog to tolerate predatory sexual behaviour by its staff - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sex-predators-tolerated-at-national-crime-agency-z3c25bq7j - problems known to the leadership with nothing done. Apparently being there is like going into "an old fashioned CID office". The usual pointless apology has been offered.

Not to be outdone, the Scouts are currently carrying out an investigation into claims they silenced women who made allegations of sexual abuse. Millions have been paid out to victims but it is said that their safeguarding policies are still inadequate.

Is there any evidence that we have gone back to the 70s, versus never left?

I think that the behaviour was simply hidden behind a wall of performative bullshit - organisations awarding themselves trophies for safe guarding, inclusivity etc, while not really changing.
    Increasingly the brief period of (at least Western) prosperity for even the working classes (50s-90s) looks less like a new normal, and a blip between different forms of capitalist feudalism where workers are constantly under the boot of the propertied class. History didn't end with the collapse of the USSR, it was aborted...
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,705
    edited June 2023
    Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

‘How Brexit killed the ex-pat dream’
    https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/how-brexit-killed-the-expat-dream/

FFS - what did these people think would happen?

Brexit - driving up inflation, making people poorer, not delivering anything that it promised except for the bastards who are happy to see us all poorer so they can profit.

It's tempting to laugh at people like that, but I think it shows just how poor political discourse was during the referendum. I keep saying this, but the remain side needed to present Freedom of Movement as a *Positive* to Brits, not something that had to be "endured".
    Are we allowed to use the word 'c**t' on this forum?
    No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.
    It seems to be unevenly enforced
    To be fair the mods don't read every post, but it seems to be consistently enforced when they do see it.
    Is there a list of forum rules anywhere? I don't want to be banned and I can't go back and edit the offending post now to remove that word.

ETA: I do realise the irony here in acting rashly without due awareness of the potential consequences for me of my own actions.
    The way you "asked" your "question" re: misogynist c-word, clearly shows your "query" is rhetorical NOT inquisitive.

Also rude as fuck IMHO to abuse Our Gracious Host's VERY clear views on this point.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,713
    70 km cycled today. 1st beer in Cognac is now being consumed. I wonder if they sell brandy here?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,915
    Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

If I appear unusually gloomy, it’s not just the abyss of doom into which Britain is plunging - it’s also the fact I am still getting ruinously annoying Daily Mail notifications. Absolutely nothing - not even erasing chrome and reinstalling - fixes it. They are like cockroaches in a nuclear winter

I thought some of you might appreciate the irony

I take it you've tried:

Settings->Privacy and Security->Site Settings
    I've tried EVERYTHING - but thanks
    Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    https://osxdaily.com/2019/06/02/how-reset-chrome-browser-default-settings/
    You might want to export your bookmarks and history first.
    I have a Microsoft Surface Pro
    Should've got an Apple, just sayin'
  • Options
    148grss said:

malcolmg said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

So when the economy implodes and inflation is low and growth is poor causing a recession, the poor have to shoulder the burden via austerity.

When the economy implodes and inflation is high, the Bank of England should CAUSE a recession, forcing the poor to have less purchasing power and less job security, shouldering the burden anyway.

Why do we have this economic system? Like, it isn't a force of nature, we designed things this way - why is it talked about as if these aren't political decisions to allow rich people to stay rich and poor people to get poorer? It's obscene...

By working properly, I mean that there is support to allow those at the bottom to climb up the ladder, and protections in place to stop abuses from occurring at the top.

At the moment, it is hard to say that our system in the UK is working as well as it could be…. For a myriad of reasons I would blame on successive governments of all colours.
    You whingers just want something for nothing. Back when men were men we had to do it all ourselves , no help from anyone and just hard graft.
    21st century has produced nothing but lazy whining whingers.
    Can't tell if this is a joke or not...
    The Fifth Yorkshireman…
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,446

Pete is our resident Tory :smiley:

You and me both Horse.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

Brexit - driving up inflation, making people poorer, not delivering anything that it promised except for the bastards who are happy to see us all poorer so they can profit.

It's tempting to laugh at people like that, but I think it shows just how poor political discourse was during the referendum. I keep saying this, but the remain side needed to present Freedom of Movement as a *Positive* to Brits, not something that had to be "endured".
    No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.
    To be fair the mods don't read every post, but it seems to be consistently enforced when they do see it.
    Is there a list of forum rules anywhere? I don't want to be banned and I can't go back and edit the offending post now to remove that word.

ETA: I do realise the irony here in acting rashly without due awareness of the potential consequences for me of my own actions.
    The way you "asked" your "question" re: misogynist c-word, clearly shows your "query" is rhetorical NOT inquisitive.

Also rude as fuck IMHO to abuse Our Gracious Host's VERY clear views on this point.
    The c-word isn't misogynistic. Male genital words are used to insult people as well. The intention of the word is really nothing to do with the qualities of object named or the gender of the person that might have one.

In fact, its prohibition when words like "dick" are allowed is more sexist than actually using the word is.
  • Options
    Leon said:

In case anyone is feeling unduly optimistic after today's flood of good news, on all fronts, a reminder that it is now midsummer, and the days get shorter from here on. Winter is coming

A necessary corrective to some of this afternoon's irrational exuberance, perhaps

OTOH the weather is lovely here, 23°C 62% humidity, light winds, forecast for the next couple of weeks is good too.

I just achieved three minor successes this morning on behalf of Citizens Advice clients battling with the council and DWP. All good here.

(PS sorry about your unwanted Daily Heil notifications, despite my flippant comment earlier - sounds like Daily Hell to me.)
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,078

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

If I appear unusually gloomy, it’s not just the abyss of doom into which Britain is plunging - it’s also the fact I am still getting ruinously annoying Daily Mail notifications. Absolutely nothing - not even erasing chrome and reinstalling - fixes it. They are like cockroaches in a nuclear winter

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    Yep had 1 Microsoft laptop - never again as it manged to break itself by overheating when MS decided to do an update at 3am is a sealed bag....
  • Options
    148grss said:

malcolmg said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

You whingers just want something for nothing. Back when men were men we had to do it all ourselves , no help from anyone and just hard graft.
    Can't tell if this is a joke or not...
    Most of what Malcolm posts is a joke tbf.
  • Options
    148grss said:
    I find myself siding with the cetaceans in this fight
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,019
    kjh said:

70 km cycled today. 1st beer in Cognac is now being consumed. I wonder if they sell brandy here?

You’re in Cognac and drinking beer, rather than Remy Martin XO?
  • Options
    Leon said:

I highly doubt Leon is even having problems, this is just the latest attention-seeking effort. Ignore.

If I seek or need attention, you'll certainly know about it. Because I will come up with something a tad more exciting than "the Daily Mail is sending me notifications"

Even as I type this, another has appeared. It's like catching smallpox and watching the lesions grow. AAAAARGH
    Perhaps they are offering you a column gig. Apparently they are not too fussy these days. A new writer started last Friday writing nonsense about the contents of his fridge, so AI and aliens would be a welcome improvement.
  • Options
    Courthouse News Service - Hunter Biden to plead guilty on federal tax charges
    The Department of Justice announced the deal with the son of President Joe Biden in a letter to the clerk of the federal court in Delaware.

Hunter Biden, son of President Joe Biden, agreed Tuesday to plead guilty to two counts of failing to file and pay federal income taxes on time in 2017 and 2018.

The 53-year-old also faces a separate information in Delaware for buying a handgun illegally in 2018. As he would later admit in his 2021 book “Beautiful Things,” Biden was abusing crack cocaine during this time period but he maintained he wasn’t using drugs at the time of purchase of the gun. The memoir admission put him under investigation for violating a federal law that mandates gun buyers attest they aren’t drug users or addicted to illegal drugs at time of purchase.

On this count, Biden will enter a pretrial diversion agreement. The agreement permits the Justice Department to charge Biden with purchasing the gun but not prosecute him for it.

Biden has agreed to live drug-free for two years and never own a firearm again as a term of the deal. If found in violation of this probation agreement, he could be prosecuted on the firearm charge.

The son of the president has worked as a lobbyist, lawyer and investment banker. He first disclosed in December 2020 that U.S. Attorney David Weiss, a Trump appointee, was investigating him for tax misdemeanors.

President Biden did not opt to remove Weiss from his post after his election to avoid the appearance he was interfering in his son’s then-ongoing investigation.

Hunter Biden is expected to be arraigned in Delaware and plead guilty to the tax misdemeanors in the coming days. A memorandum detailing the terms of his plea deal “will be submitted at or in advance of the hearing,” according to a letter from the Justice Department submitted Tuesday. The plea deal must be approved by a federal judge. . . .

The White House released its own statement on the matter: “The President and First Lady love their son and support him as he continues to rebuild his life. We will have no further comment.”

Trump, who is considered President Biden's top opponent in his 2024 reelection bid, sounded off on the plea deal.

“Wow! The corrupt Biden DOJ just cleared up hundreds of years of criminal liability by giving Hunter Biden a mere ‘traffic ticket,’” the former president wrote on his social media platform Truth Social. “Our system is BROKEN!” . . .

https://www.courthousenews.com/hunter-biden-to-plead-guilty-on-federal-tax-charges/
  • Options
    Leon said:

In case anyone is feeling unduly optimistic after today's flood of good news, on all fronts, a reminder that it is now midsummer, and the days get shorter from here on. Winter is coming

A necessary corrective to some of this afternoon's irrational exuberance, perhaps

In fact, the solstice is RIGHT NOW, 15:57
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,870
    Taz said:
    BBC reporting the lockdown now lifted and the incident not being treated as terrorism. 3 injured, 2 of those life threatening including the suspect.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

148grss said:
    Can't spell comrade without orca
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,837

FF43 said:

Miklosvar said:

SKS monstering Sunak.

Nothing about shirking the bojo vote.

Starmer got monstered by a very impressive Sunak. Not mentioning Sunak's vote failure was a massive error, same goes for Flynn, although he did manage to bring in Brexit as the problem. Rishi handled both very well.

The mortgage issue was batted back as Labour's failure.

Possibly Starmer's worst performance against Sunak and a much improved Sunak. Not least because Starmer was rubbish.
    Starmer links chaotic Conservative government to people being poorer. Can Sunak convince people that correlation doesn't imply causation?

I think very clever from SKS.
    What if he could? It is no good for Rishi if he tells people that yes, my government is chaotic, and yes, you are poorer, but the good news is these are not connected.
    Exactly! That's why Starmer's messaging is clever. Even if people accept Starmer won't be able to fix the mortgage problem, Sunak can't give them any reason to vote for him.

Linking Tory chaos with unaffordable mortgages works better for Starmer than either of the two on its own.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    eek said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    Yep had 1 Microsoft laptop - never again as it manged to break itself by overheating when MS decided to do an update at 3am is a sealed bag....
    The Surface is actually, and surprisingly, not too bad as a managed device - but anything Windows is now a total pain in the arse for a home user, who really should all be on Macs by now.

Windows 11 decided to remove the words “cut”, “copy”, and “paste” from the right-click context menu in the file manager. Yes, really. Do you want to know what %age of my relatively IT-literate users got totally blown away by that one?

The icons for cut, copy, paste, export, and delete, are those along the top. Oh, and this was an automatic upgrade, that for many just happened one night. :open_mouth:

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,537
    edited June 2023

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Cicero said:

If enough idiots vote for him and he gets another MP gig, then surely the people have spoken/democracy in action, blah, blah, blah.
    But he ain't getting back in. He's done. Dusted. Labour are going to form the next government and Johnson will be irrelevant.

I've asked the following question many times, but never get an answer. Who do PB Tories actually want to lead the party?

Not my business, of course, but (pace ydoethur) Gove would be good - not bad at combative politics but also a genuine old-fashioned politician keen to change things for the good of the country. Some of his changes have been very controversial, but at least he enriches public debate. What do Sunak, Hunt, Mordaunt, etc. actually stand for? When did they last say anything new?
    I think Gove has been around too long, and there are too many hostages to fortune in choosing him. The problem with others like Alex Chalk, for example, is that he is too public school smooth, and is unlikely to hold his seat anyway. Tobias Ellwood has also annoyed too many with his rebellious antics, but there is a portion of the party establishment that would go for him.

The puff piece for Penny Mordaunt in the Times today suggests that if she holds her own seat, she is in with a good shout. However, that is a pretty big "if".

The big deal for the post defeat Tories will be "Character", hence the interesting positioning of Mordaunt and Ellwood.
    The novelisation of Yes, Prime Minister ends with The National Education Service, and Hacker sadly realising that whatever wins he might achieve, nothing fundamental would change.

Gove's career has been about big, disruptive changes, whether at Education or Brexit. Both of those legacies are, at best, mixed, and his planning reforms have largely been blown up by Conservative Nimbies.

I do wonder if he's had his Jim Hacker moment.
    This is very selectve in its overview of his career. Both at Justice and DEFRA he made significant and lasting change in both culture and practice which have had long reaching positive effects.

He is very much a details, evidence based person. Looking at what the real problems are in departments and listening to all sides rather than just the usual lobbyists.
    Yet Justice is falling apart with cases taking years to get to court.
    My father also had Views on his record at DEFRA.

Put it this way, you think I hate him? You should have heard what Dad had to say!
    Well at least now we know where you got your irrational hatred from.
    In case you've forgotten, he went to DEFRA and earned Dad's ire long after he'd screwed over education.
    In case you have forgotten education was screwed over long before Gove ever came on the scene. A third world system run entirely for vested interest and ideology.
    The irony of that post is while it was not necessarily true at the time Gove came into power, it was profoundly true of what he left. Especially in making it even more in hock to ideology - including some quite sinister ideologies - and vested interests which are not only not conducive to but positively opposed to the interests of children's education.

There were many problems in education in 2010. The exam system was not good. The curriculum was years out of date. Appointments to senior posts were profoundly corrupt. LEAs were a shambles.

What he left was an exam system that doesn't work at all, a curriculum that was based on naked nativism, a system of appointments to senior posts so corrupt that we actually have people who are entirely unqualified in senior positions and a series of expensive and mostly badly run academy chains taking the place of LEAs working as a gravy train for rather too many sponsoring organisations and their chums.

And I would gently suggest that rather than hector me about it, and attribute my understanding of just how bad things to an 'irrational hatred' of Gove, you remember that I am an expert in the field and you are not. Perhaps therefore the reason I disdain Gove is because I understand fully just how badly he messed up and you do not?
    And yet the PISA ratings for the UK education system collapsed between 2000 and 2012 (from 7th to 24th in maths. Similar falls in Science and reading.) and only started to recover after the Tory reforms were introduced.
    The Tory reforms didn’t take effect until 2016-17. The earliest you will see any effect in the Pisa rankings is about ten years later because of the way they are calculated, so 2025 at the earliest.

What you are seeing there is the effect of the Labour reforms guided by David Bell that you clearly so despised…
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

kjh said:

If you had cycled 70 km off road (I was going to say in the sun, but that might not be appropriate in your case @Sandpit) you would be drinking beer.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,724
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:
    The Surface is actually, and surprisingly, not too bad as a managed device - but anything Windows is now a total pain in the arse for a home user, who really should all be on Macs by now.

Windows 11 decided to remove the words “cut”, “copy”, and “paste” from the right-click context menu in the file manager. Yes, really. Do you want to know what %age of my relatively IT-literate users got totally blown away by that one?

The icons for cut, copy, paste, export, and delete, are those along the top. Oh, and this was an automatic upgrade, that for many just happened one night. :open_mouth:

I’ve had an Apple Mac and I hated it. Worst laptop ever

The surface pro is great. Much more intuitive. Up to now
  • Options
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

If you had cycled 70 km off road (I was going to say in the sun, but that might not be appropriate in your case @Sandpit) you would be drinking beer.
    I prefer milk after a long hot cycle ride. Does that make me unusual?
  • Options
    kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

It’s a cool 41ºC here today! Beer on the way home, and cognac with dinner for me. Your holiday sounds great fun.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Farooq said:

148grss said:
    Can't spell comrade without orca
    You can't spell DEMOLISH THE SWANKY BOATS without WHALES THAT SINK SOMEBODY
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,122
    Jeremy Hunt is giving evidence at the Covid inquiry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnRQF_ni-Vw
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

eek said:

Leon said:

Sandpit said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Chrome on Mac?
    Follow this:

Gave up on Windows in 2011 after burning through an new PC laptop every few years as they quickly became bogged down with uninvited software. Still got my mid-2011 MacBook Air as a spare - still works fine (2nd battery tbf).
  • Options
    boulayboulay Posts: 4,062
    148grss said:
    I, for one, welcome our new cetacean overlords.
  • Options
    Has anyone considered that it's a whale that's eaten the Titanic sub. And now it's tapping out "SOS" on the hull of the sunken liner hoping to lure another tin of poor sods down to their doom? They are intelligent creatures after all, and they must be sick of our shit by now.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Has anyone considered that it's a whale that's eaten the Titanic sub. And now it's tapping out "SOS" on the hull of the sunken liner hoping to lure another tin of poor sods down to their doom? They are intelligent creatures after all, and they must be sick of our shit by now.

I did post this further down, but it may have been considered in poor taste...

https://twitter.com/Meat__Hook/status/1671424090702331906?s=20
  • Options
    boulay said:

148grss said:
    hide the bras HIDE THE BRAS
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 92

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.

I didn't know what OGH's views on that word were. That's why I asked if there's a list of forum rules anywhere. Any rudeness towards Mike on this front was through ignorance rather than intent. If being an ill-informed, ignorant prat gets me banned, I'll accept it as deserved without complaint.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,778
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Winter gloom, here we come!
  • Options
    boulay said:

148grss said:
    The alien Overlords of the Universe have finally given up on homo sapiens and are going to invest their development effort in a more deserving species to manage the Earth going forward.

You can't say we haven't been warned but, Leodamus aside, we've studiously ignored all the UFOs they've sent us.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Leon said:

No! Cosy evenings indoors, and nights that stay dark past 4am here we come.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,481
    Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Love the cosy times of winter - warm house, winter TV, glass of whisky etc. But not yet. I love high summer - endless sunshine and light evenings.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,658
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Cicero said:

If enough idiots vote for him and he gets another MP gig, then surely the people have spoken/democracy in action, blah, blah, blah.
    But he ain't getting back in. He's done. Dusted. Labour are going to form the next government and Johnson will be irrelevant.

I've asked the following question many times, but never get an answer. Who do PB Tories actually want to lead the party?

Not my business, of course, but (pace ydoethur) Gove would be good - not bad at combative politics but also a genuine old-fashioned politician keen to change things for the good of the country. Some of his changes have been very controversial, but at least he enriches public debate. What do Sunak, Hunt, Mordaunt, etc. actually stand for? When did they last say anything new?
    I think Gove has been around too long, and there are too many hostages to fortune in choosing him. The problem with others like Alex Chalk, for example, is that he is too public school smooth, and is unlikely to hold his seat anyway. Tobias Ellwood has also annoyed too many with his rebellious antics, but there is a portion of the party establishment that would go for him.

The puff piece for Penny Mordaunt in the Times today suggests that if she holds her own seat, she is in with a good shout. However, that is a pretty big "if".

The big deal for the post defeat Tories will be "Character", hence the interesting positioning of Mordaunt and Ellwood.
    The novelisation of Yes, Prime Minister ends with The National Education Service, and Hacker sadly realising that whatever wins he might achieve, nothing fundamental would change.

Gove's career has been about big, disruptive changes, whether at Education or Brexit. Both of those legacies are, at best, mixed, and his planning reforms have largely been blown up by Conservative Nimbies.

This is very selectve in its overview of his career. Both at Justice and DEFRA he made significant and lasting change in both culture and practice which have had long reaching positive effects.

He is very much a details, evidence based person. Looking at what the real problems are in departments and listening to all sides rather than just the usual lobbyists.

Put it this way, you think I hate him? You should have heard what Dad had to say!
    In case you've forgotten, he went to DEFRA and earned Dad's ire long after he'd screwed over education.
    In case you have forgotten education was screwed over long before Gove ever came on the scene. A third world system run entirely for vested interest and ideology.
    The irony of that post is while it was not necessarily true at the time Gove came into power, it was profoundly true of what he left. Especially in making it even more in hock to ideology - including some quite sinister ideologies - and vested interests which are not only not conducive to but positively opposed to the interests of children's education.

There were many problems in education in 2010. The exam system was not good. The curriculum was years out of date. Appointments to senior posts were profoundly corrupt. LEAs were a shambles.

What he left was an exam system that doesn't work at all, a curriculum that was based on naked nativism, a system of appointments to senior posts so corrupt that we actually have people who are entirely unqualified in senior positions and a series of expensive and mostly badly run academy chains taking the place of LEAs working as a gravy train for rather too many sponsoring organisations and their chums.

And I would gently suggest that rather than hector me about it, and attribute my understanding of just how bad things to an 'irrational hatred' of Gove, you remember that I am an expert in the field and you are not. Perhaps therefore the reason I disdain Gove is because I understand fully just how badly he messed up and you do not?
    And yet the PISA ratings for the UK education system collapsed between 2000 and 2012 (from 7th to 24th in maths. Similar falls in Science and reading.) and only started to recover after the Tory reforms were introduced.
    The Tory reforms didn’t take effect until 2016-17. The earliest you will see any effect in the Pisa rankings is about ten years later because of the way they are calculated, so 2025 at the earliest.

What you are seeing there is the effect of the Labour reforms guided by David Bell that you clearly so despised…
    How many human problems are caused by our collective struggle to understand the time gap between an action and its effect?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kjh said:

Sandpit said:

kjh said:

I prefer milk after a long hot cycle ride. Does that make me unusual?
    Yes very much so.
  • Options

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Love the cosy times of winter - warm house, winter TV, glass of whisky etc. But not yet. I love high summer - endless sunshine and light evenings.
    Last night I walked home down Highgate West - between the ancient cemetery and Waterlow Park, after a very agreeable evening in beer garden of The Flask. It was utterly deserted

Historic London is absolutely sublime on warm summer evenings like that. I am sure I could sense Coleridge reciting his latest opiated verse to Byron and Shelley...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,460
    I'm getting a sense of Not Trump vs Not Biden for WH24. Can't say exactly how we get there but I think that somehow we will.
  • Options
    148grss said:

Cyclefree said:

We're reliving the 1970's.

The police certainly seem stuck there - though a judge criticising the "shocking" way the police treated a female police officer who blew the whistle on a colleague who has been convicted of 6 rapes of a colleague and 2 rapes of a 16 year old girl - is a welcome change: https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/metropolitan-police-ignored-officers-complaint-about-rapist-colleague-bz7265nzq.

Then there is the NCA which has been found by a police watchdog to tolerate predatory sexual behaviour by its staff - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sex-predators-tolerated-at-national-crime-agency-z3c25bq7j - problems known to the leadership with nothing done. Apparently being there is like going into "an old fashioned CID office". The usual pointless apology has been offered.

Not to be outdone, the Scouts are currently carrying out an investigation into claims they silenced women who made allegations of sexual abuse. Millions have been paid out to victims but it is said that their safeguarding policies are still inadequate.

Is there any evidence that we have gone back to the 70s, versus never left?

I think that the behaviour was simply hidden behind a wall of performative bullshit - organisations awarding themselves trophies for safe guarding, inclusivity etc, while not really changing.
    Increasingly the brief period of (at least Western) prosperity for even the working classes (50s-90s) looks less like a new normal, and a blip between different forms of capitalist feudalism where workers are constantly under the boot of the propertied class. History didn't end with the collapse of the USSR, it was aborted...
    If you think that the USSR was less feudalistic - hell, leaving your job was subject to state permission. What does that remind you of?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,251
    kinabalu said:

I'm getting a sense of Not Trump vs Not Biden for WH24. Can't say exactly how we get there but I think that somehow we will.

It could be Not Trump vs Not Biden even if Trump and Biden are the candidates.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

Last night I walked home down Highgate West - between the ancient cemetery and Waterlow Park, after a very agreeable evening in beer garden of The Flask. It was utterly deserted

Historic London is absolutely sublime on warm summer evenings like that. I am sure I could sense Coleridge reciting his latest opiated verse to Byron and Shelley...
    OMG, close shave. I boozed away the afternoon in The Woodman.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,147
    edited June 2023
    Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Sandpit said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

Correct. Most people under 40 don’t know anything except interest rates being effectively zero.
    So can we say a system works if it doesn't work for a generation? @numbertwelve Your definition of the system working seems, in my mind, to be social democracy - and the last person who advocated that was called a literal Stalinist for years. Like, that is not Thatcherism or Reaganism, and that is the current system we live under - neoliberalism won.
    The system worked under Thatcher and Major. It broke under Blair and Brown, before interest rates fell down to zero.

We had a stable population, even sometimes declining population for decades with planning restrictions and the system was working.

Then population growth exploded at the turn of the century but planning restrictions were kept, so supply and demand became imbalanced and we've never had a working system since.

I personally am entirely comfortable with free movement and high migration - but it needs to be accompanied with free planning and high construction too. If people were able to come here without a visa, they should have been able to get a house built without planning too.

Now we have a shortfall of about 3 million houses as we have 99% occupancy rate in our houses when a stable rate and European average is about 90% occupancy. Even if net migration dropped to zero overnight, which it won't, we'd still need those 3 million houses building. We need more than that, to accompany continuing population growth.
    I'm not just talking about housing, although that is a big factor. I'm talking about how the whole economy is organised to extract value from workers to give it to the already wealthy, and how any shock to the economy has a response that buggers the poor and insulates the rich. Austerity cut the social safety net to the bone, but the argument was that the Great Recession was terrible and balancing the budget will provide stability in the future. 0% interest rates were not used at that time to do Keynesianism, because neoliberal economics argues Keynesianism is bad, actually. Now that interest rates are going up, it is still the poor and workers who are most impacted, and now the argument is a recession is NECESSARY to fix the economy, and the Labour party are essentially saying they need MORE austerity. So what is the average person to look at with hope? What policies are being proposed that actually help people? What is an economy for if not to organise resources and labour towards the needs of the greater populace; which we are not doing?
    In that case, the best thing that’s happened to British workers in a generation has been the EU exit - as there’s now employers fighting over employees, and not the other way around.
    As you may have noticed, the Government has decided to cure the problem of people paying more for workers by importing 1 million people per year to replace them. It was in the news and everything. Economists in the Guardian were very pleased.

This is because the UK government does not do things for British working people. It does things to them.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

Sorry I'm not getting that, William? How do you mean?
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,661
    boulay said:

148grss said:
    They're lobsters?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,078
    Farooq said:

See image
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,688
    Farooq said:

You are about to be damned by HYUFD for eternity for your sick sense of humour.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I mean the two voting blocs could be "Not Biden" and "Not Trump", rather than a positive endorsement of either of them.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

No
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

As in, most people voting Biden (not Trump) and Trump (not Biden), rather than Biden (because I like Biden) or Trump (because I'm a retard)
  • Options

Farooq said:

No
    Apparently, yes. More or less. See the other replies. Thanks for coming, see you tomorrow.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,661
  • Options

Farooq said:

And he's been so tolerant of my witterings up til now
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,688
    edited June 2023
    Muesli said:

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.

I didn't know what OGH's views on that word were. That's why I asked if there's a list of forum rules anywhere. Any rudeness towards Mike on this front was through ignorance rather than intent. If being an ill-informed, ignorant prat gets me banned, I'll accept it as deserved without complaint.
    Yeah don't use that word, it's a no no, you've somehow got lucky with the spam trap today.

As a general rule

1) Do not be rude/abusive to Mike/Robert. They spend a lot of time and money to allow PBers to post immediately, do not misuse. It is ok to disagree.

2) Do not post things that might get Mike into legal difficulties

3) Don't use that c-word, try and avoid lots of swear words in general.

4) Do not copy and paste large portions of paywalled articles.

5) Don't act like a stalker to other posters.

6) Do not remind Robert that at Guantanamo Bay the Americans played Radiohead albums on a loop to torture the prisoners.

7) Don't deliberately post incorrect polling/betting info

There are other rules, but I cannot remember them at the moment.
  • Options
    Muesli said:

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.

There is a list here:

https://vf.politicalbetting.com/discussion/comment/1895932#Comment_1895932

A couple of others have been noted at various times:

No doxxing

No c bombs

No breach of sub judice.
  • Options

Muesli said:

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.

Yeah don't use that word, it's a no no, you've somehow got lucky with the spam trap today.

As a general rule

1) Do not be rude/abusive to Mike/Robert. They spend a lot of time and money to allow PBers to post immediately, do not misuse. It is ok to disagree.

6) Do not remind Robert that at Guantanamo Bay the Americans played Radiohead albums on a loop to torture the prisoners.

It was nice knowing you Mr Eagles...
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

I mean the two voting blocs could be "Not Biden" and "Not Trump", rather than a positive endorsement of either of them.
    Ah yes. Ok. If it's Trump v Biden, that's also not Biden vs not Trump.

V good comment. Sorry to make you explain it.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Cicero said:

A very informed post. Although I have no skin in the school aged education game anymore I find the academisation of secondary education to be absurd.

My old school in Hollywood, Worcs. was an excellent comprehensive back in my day- mid 1970s. In my year we produced Fiona Clouder, the former UK High Commissioner to Peru and Nick Rhodes of Duran Duran , not to mention those who went on to be CEOs, CFOs and a Vice President of HR for Reckitt Benckeiser. By the mid 2010s it was a failing academy. They now have an School Improvement Consultant on the Academy Board of Directors. Pass me the sick bag.
  • Options

Muesli said:

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.

As a general rule

No doxxing?
  • Options
    WillGWillG Posts: 2,170
    The word "cisgender" is now banned on Twitter. This from the "free speech absolutist" that allowed all the Nazis back on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgbt/comments/14f1uji/well_its_official_now_cis_is_a_slur_atleast_on/

Reminds me what Hannah Arendt said about fascists, that they just use words as weapons and have no responsibility for them as they do not believe in truth.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,823
    ydoethur said:

Muesli said:

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.

As a general rule

It was nice knowing you Mr Eagles...
    The Red Shoes!

Great film, interesting allusion, and death for overly high flying Eagles!
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

There isn’t a nicer place on God’s Green earth than the leafy, Georgian bits of north London on a warm summer evening. Highgate, Hampstead, Dartmouth Park, Primrose Hill. Just lovely

Wouldn’t personally choose the Woodman, however. No oysters
  • Options
    WillG said:

The word "cisgender" is now banned on Twitter. This from the "free speech absolutist" that allowed all the Nazis back on.

https://www.reddit.com/r/lgbt/comments/14f1uji/well_its_official_now_cis_is_a_slur_atleast_on/

Reminds me what Hannah Arendt said about fascists, that they just use words as weapons and have no responsibility for them as they do not believe in truth.

I LOVE ELON
  • Options
    WillG said:

The opposite of up is down
    The opposite of north is south
    The opposite of trans is [CENSORED]
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,610

boulay said:

148grss said:
    They're lobsters?
    Lobsters are crustaceans, not cetaceans!
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,064

Farooq said:

He damns fellow posters for the sick stuff re boats on or under the sea, whether or not they even do it in the first place. So those so inclined might as well get the bad taste stuff in before they get the blame willynilly.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

If this was an American city you would be saying that it shows the irreversible decline of America as power passes to China.
  • Options
    Another one for Leon.

America is leaving Europe behind.

https://www.ft.com/content/80ace07f-3acb-40cb-9960-8bb4a44fd8d9
  • Options
    Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,808
    malcolmg said:

148grss said:

148grss said:

A bit more characteristic prejudice and psychological projection from this site's pre-eminent whining whinger.

Give me a bright optimistic young person/snowflake any day over you Malcolm, you boring grumpy prejudiced angry little intellectually challenged dullard.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,610
    Farooq said:

WillG said:

Cisformers, genders in disguise!
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    Leon said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

That's Swain's Lane, not Highgate West Hill. I used to do my paper round around there. The cemetery was very spooky in the early morning. I also used to have to deliver to the Soviet trade delegation on Highgate West Hill. That was very spooky in another way. Lots of very stern security guard faces as I dropped off their Morning Stars.

• Options
    Leon said:

WillG said:

I LOVE ELON
    Is that because he is an anagram of your name, or because he shares your "values"?
  • Options
    WillG said:

The problem with invoking that quote is that it applies more to the other side on this question. Language is manipulated in order to impose an alternative sense of reality on people who disagree with it.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

If this was an American city you would be saying that it shows the irreversible decline of America as power passes to China.
    No I wouldn’t. Earlier on this thread I’ve readily confessed that Britain is just as fucked as America, only in a different way

But like America, there are places and moments in the UK when it can still feel like THE nicest spot on the planet
  • Options

Muesli said:

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.

As a general rule

I think we should add an 8th now - no denial of what an utter calamity PM Boris Johnson was.

"Sure he was flawed, very, but there were positives too. He delivered Brexit. He oversaw our world-leading vaccine programme. He backed Ukraine to the hilt whilst others prevaricated."

Comments such as these should lead to a period in the fridge.
  • Options
    Muesli said:

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.

Thanks for your response, and accept my apology as I withdraw my assertion. At very least should have written "suggests" NOT "shows" but even that toooooo judgmental.

Esp. for one as naturally foul-mouthed as yours truly! Though in USA we've been avoiding-eschewing the c-word for a while now.
  • Options

Farooq said:

WillG said:

Cisformers, genders in disguise!
    I thought it was a description of someone in the final stage of secondary school as announced by someone with a speech impediment?
  • Options
    Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

There isn’t a nicer place on God’s Green earth than the leafy, Georgian bits of north London on a warm summer evening. Highgate, Hampstead, Dartmouth Park, Primrose Hill. Just lovely

No. It's a pub.
  • Options
    MuesliMuesli Posts: 92

Muesli said:

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.

As a general rule

Thank you @TheScreamingEagles and to @ydoethur for the link to Robert's rules. I think I've been lucky to survive this long! A period of contemplative lurking will now follow.

PS I like Radiohead.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

How screwed up is American politics, when two massively divisive octogenarians (by the end of their terms) are somehow the favourites? Let’s hope the other candidates get a look-in on both sides.
  • Options
    WillG said:

Another one for Leon.

An interesting piece, and yet - like all these articles - it completely ignores the facts on the ground. The stuff I saw on my recent American odyssey

If America is ‘leaving Europe behind’ how come American life expectancy is plunging every year, has now fallen way behind Europe, and in fact has fallen behind Panama?

The must fundamental fact of life is: how long you get to live. Europe wins
  • Options
    Muesli said:

Muesli said:

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.

As a general rule

Thank you @TheScreamingEagles and to @ydoethur for the link to Robert's rules. I think I've been lucky to survive this long! A period of contemplative lurking will now follow.

PS I like Radiohead.
    Screw that, get stuck in lad.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,823
    kinabalu said:

Leon said:

kinabalu said:

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

No. It's a pub.
    Damn - a pub on the top of Primrose Hill - that'd be a place!

(It'd have to not play music, not have any TV screens, and just serve British beer)
  • Options
    Leon said:

WillG said:

Another one for Leon.

An interesting piece, and yet - like all these articles - it completely ignores the facts on the ground. The stuff I saw on my recent American odyssey

If America is ‘leaving Europe behind’ how come American life expectancy is plunging every year, has now fallen way behind Europe, and in fact has fallen behind Panama?

The must fundamental fact of life is: how long you get to live. Europe wins
    So... France > UK.
  • Options

Muesli said:

Muesli said:

Farooq said:

Nigelb said:

Muesli said:

CatMan said:

No, we are not.
    It is a banning offence.

As a general rule

Might it be possible to post on homepage, a quasi-authoritative list of PB Commandments, as did OGH's famed predecessor as law-giver (allegedly) brought down from Mount Sinai?

Unless there's some kind of legalistic impediment, though maybe the last part of PB pronunciamento might be that list is not all-inclusive AND is subject to change by fiat of OGH and his henchpeople?
  • Options

Leon said:

Farooq said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

That's Swain's Lane, not Highgate West Hill. I used to do my paper round around there. The cemetery was very spooky in the early morning. I also used to have to deliver to the Soviet trade delegation on Highgate West Hill. That was very spooky in another way. Lots of very stern security guard faces as I dropped off their Morning Stars.

Quite right. My bad. Swain’s Lane

There is some really eccentric modern architecture down there as well. Modernist black glass houses. For once they are not intrusive. They are peculiar, tho
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    WillG said:

Another one for Leon.

American wealth is very, very private. It's not obvious from the way the country as a whole looks, feels and functions. But it is undoubtedly the best place on earth in which to be rich.

• Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD has a sick sense of humour. He still believes that the answer to this country's ills is more Boris Johnson
  • Options

Farooq said:

HYUFD has a sick sense of humour. He still believes that the answer to this country's ills is more Boris Johnson
    That's not sick. Merely silly.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,147
    Leon said:

WillG said:

I LOVE ELON
    enol=leno=lone=noel=elon=leon!

Suddenly things make sense... :)
  • Options

WillG said:

Another one for Leon.

American wealth is very, very private. It's not obvious from the way the country as a whole looks, feels and functions. But it is undoubtedly the best place on earth in which to be rich.

Is it?

Europe beats America on almost every metric of history, beauty, culture, etc. It also beats America on access to Europe

America wins on wild big landscapes and emptiness, and, maybe, lower taxes

If you’re a trillionaire is it better to live in a massive apartment in Manhattan, Monaco or Mayfair? I don’t think the answer is clear cut. All have pros and cons

If you want to live in your own fifty square mile ranch then America wins - but that’s rare

If you want total privacy then a private island in the Caribbean is probably your best bet
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,803
    Farooq said:

148grss said:
    Strangely enough these creatures don't seem to be as aggressive with, say, Faeroese vessels.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Leon said:

WillG said:

I LOVE ELON
    enol=leno=lone=noel=elon=leon!

Suddenly things make sense... :)
    enol, leno, lone, noel. leon are all transelon.
    elon is ciselon.
  • Options
    WillG said:

That's just bloody stupid.

So much for free speech. 🤦‍♂️
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,392
    WillG said:

Did he actually allow real Nazis on or just people with a different view. Twitter is very much ‘everyone who disagrees with me is Hitler’ territory.

Also as stupid as a term Cisgender is it should not be banned.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048
    edited June 2023
    Carnyx said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

eek said:

Cicero said:

On the other hand, there is a time lag in those ratings, surely? Not familiar with the details.

(But I also wonder about lead in petrol.)
    The time lag idea is just ydoethur clutching at straws. Yes there will be a timelag but the idea it is a decade or more is rubbish.

And besides even with a decade it still falls in Labour's lap.

Maths rankings:

2000 - 7th
    2003 - 17th
    2006 - 23rd
    2009 - 26th
    2012 - 24th
    2015 - 27th
    2018 - 17th

The testing is done at age 15 so those taking it in 2009 and 2012 had spent almost their whole education under Labour. Those taking it in 2018 had had 8 of their 10 years education under coalition or Tory government.
This discussion has been closed.