Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

If BoJo got re-elected would the 90 day suspension apply? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MiklosvarMiklosvar Posts: 1,855
    Nigelb said:

CatMan said:

‘How Brexit killed the ex-pat dream’
    https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/how-brexit-killed-the-expat-dream/

FFS - what did these people think would happen?

Brexit - driving up inflation, making people poorer, not delivering anything that it promised except for the bastards who are happy to see us all poorer so they can profit.

It's tempting to laugh at people like that, but I think it shows just how poor political discourse was during the referendum. I keep saying this, but the remain side needed to present Freedom of Movement as a *Positive* to Brits, not something that had to be "endured".
    It is fairly remarkable that Cameron, who wasn't the worst of communicators, failed to get people like that onside.

Similarly, I often end up listening to Farming Today when I wake up early. Farmers who appear complaining about Brexit, having voted for it, seems an almost daily occurrence.
    Best bit is Tony n Suze from Manchester

“We can only stay here for four days, in order to have a longer stay this summer. These new post-Brexit travel rules are driving us mad and killing our dolce vita. We’re second-home owners, we should be treated differently from other Brit tourists. This cottage has cost us a fortune to restyle. We thought we were going to spend our future life here,” says Tony, who used to work at a software company...."
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,028
    eek said:

I have a horrible horrible feeling that this is going the way of actual mortgage support payments. Just like the energy support payments. And the covid support payments.

It seems any time we hit negative economic situations now the government just throws (generally non means tested) money at it to paper over the cracks. This will make the eventual implosion even more catastrophic when it comes.

Agreed. Paying people's mortgages for them would be utter lunacy.
    The Government can't do that because it would mean one rules for Home owners (being protected) and 1 rule for renters who are having to pay whatever their landlord is insisting on to cover their higher loan costs.
    If the payments were done on a flat basis of say £1k/house - surely Landlords would pass on the saving because they're "good chaps".
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,156
    edited June 2023

... and interest rates rocket...

Fair point. As of this morning the current Bank of England Base Rate is 4.5%. Where do you see it by October 2024? (the predicted date of the next General Election)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,221
    Glad to see I'm on the opposite side of the debate to Piers Morgan:

https://twitter.com/piersmorgan/status/1671425141249638402

If you think @benstokes38 declaring on the first day was why we lost the Test match, you either know nothing about cricket or you’re Australian.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

If you think @benstokes38 declaring on the first day was why we lost the Test match, you either know nothing about cricket or you’re Australian.

It certainly was why we lost the test. Whether Australia would have won it is more debatable.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 63,096
    Nigelb said:

Not just Thomas who accepted billionaires' private jet flights to luxury vacations.

Justice Samuel Alito Took Luxury Fishing Vacation With GOP Billionaire Who Later Had Cases Before the Court
    https://www.propublica.org/article/samuel-alito-luxury-fishing-trip-paul-singer-scotus-supreme-court

Didn't he swear, at risk of perjury, that the evidence he gave at his confirmation hearing was true ?

Notable in light of Justice Alito's WSJ op-ed: during his Senate confirmation hearings, he said he recuses himself when “any possible question might arise.”

He now maintains that accepting private jet flights from a litigant is not grounds for recusal.

https://twitter.com/JustinElliott/status/1671476622371827713

ProPublica asked about Alito’s travel. He replied in the Wall Street Journal.
    Questioned about an undisclosed fishing trip hosted by a GOP billionaire, the Supreme Court justice instead shared his rebuttal in a rival media outlet — before the investigative journalists could publish their scoop
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2023/06/21/alito-wsj-propublica-fishing-trip/
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,451

Let the mortgage market fail.

Can you imagine the personal heartache that would cause? Hard working people ruined for life. I don't know the answer, but a couple of million people crushed forever is not politically astute.
    This attitude perhaps goes to the crux of one of our problems as a nation. No American would think that if you overextend yourself financially and things go wrong, you are "ruined for life".
    Indeed and the failure of Fanny Mae, Freddie Mack and Lehman Brothers with no intervention by Bush upset the world order. Your non interventionist ideology is as mad as Corbyn's intervene at any cost.
  • Options

Norman Lamont says the financial chaos is not due to Brexit. Hooray.

Was he singing in his bathtub ?
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Nigelb said:

CatMan said:

‘How Brexit killed the ex-pat dream’
    https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/how-brexit-killed-the-expat-dream/

FFS - what did these people think would happen?

Brexit - driving up inflation, making people poorer, not delivering anything that it promised except for the bastards who are happy to see us all poorer so they can profit.

It's tempting to laugh at people like that, but I think it shows just how poor political discourse was during the referendum. I keep saying this, but the remain side needed to present Freedom of Movement as a *Positive* to Brits, not something that had to be "endured".
    It is fairly remarkable that Cameron, who wasn't the worst of communicators, failed to get people like that onside.

Similarly, I often end up listening to Farming Today when I wake up early. Farmers who appear complaining about Brexit, having voted for it, seems an almost daily occurrence.
    Best bit is Tony n Suze from Manchester

“We can only stay here for four days, in order to have a longer stay this summer. These new post-Brexit travel rules are driving us mad and killing our dolce vita. We’re second-home owners, we should be treated differently from other Brit tourists. This cottage has cost us a fortune to restyle. We thought we were going to spend our future life here,” says Tony, who used to work at a software company...."
    That's not a parody ?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,453

ydoethur said:

I have a horrible horrible feeling that this is going the way of actual mortgage support payments. Just like the energy support payments. And the covid support payments.

It seems any time we hit negative economic situations now the government just throws (generally non means tested) money at it to paper over the cracks. This will make the eventual implosion even more catastrophic when it comes.

I just don't understand what it would achieve. It wouldn't ultimately fix the problem of a shortage of housing. It might keep people in their houses, which is not negligible, but it would bugger their ability to move quickly.

I would have said if they go down that route there would have to be some kind of debt for equity swap. As in, the government takes on your mortgage if you like but you now live in, in effect, a council house.

But there won't be. It would just be free money.

Very nice for me and my sister if it happens as we're about to sell our father's house and that should clear our mortgages - so instead, we can use that money for other things and get our rather nice houses paid for by the government.

But should the government be subsidising people in that situation? Hell no.
    As unpalatable as it may be house prices are going to fall, repossessions rise, and negative equity rear its head again as in the 1990s and that did involve a lot of pain but an eventual reduction in house prices

One thing is certain neither Sunak or Starmer can afford to underwrite the housing market
    That's a bit of an I'm alright Jack view. I am too, but I don't wish to see a couple of million people's lives fail.

Many of those on here who were decrying the mental health issues from lockdowns are quite content to see the heartache and resultant mental health issues from widespread repossessions.
    Again I agree with you and I remember the1990's vividly and I would not wish that on anyone but it is almost identical and there is no easy answer as was the case then

I am not content with anyone suffering mental health issues not least from the critical mental health issues my eldest in Canada has gone through
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,534
    edited June 2023

ydoethur said:

I just don't understand what it would achieve. It wouldn't ultimately fix the problem of a shortage of housing. It might keep people in their houses, which is not negligible, but it would bugger their ability to move quickly.

I would have said if they go down that route there would have to be some kind of debt for equity swap. As in, the government takes on your mortgage if you like but you now live in, in effect, a council house.

Very nice for me and my sister if it happens as we're about to sell our father's house and that should clear our mortgages - so instead, we can use that money for other things and get our rather nice houses paid for by the government.

As unpalatable as it may be house prices are going to fall, repossessions rise, and negative equity rear its head again as in the 1990s and that did involve a lot of pain but an eventual reduction in house prices

One thing is certain neither Sunak or Starmer can afford to underwrite the housing market
    House prices will likely recover in time. Unless supply outstrips demand in the medium to long term (hint, it wont), then there will be a base, and it will recover. We need to have the short term shock to cool the market and allow a couple of years of rebalancing.

As with all these things they’re horrible and unpleasant if you’re left holding the baby at the time you were hoping to cash out/need the remortgage, but that is the concept of an investment. It goes down as well as up.

The very frustrating thing was the wilful fantasy from all involved that low interest rates were forever and that they weren’t bashing people about the head with warnings that they could really come a cropper. This looks especially scandalous given the cause of the last financial crisis.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

Not just Thomas who accepted billionaires' private jet flights to luxury vacations.

Justice Samuel Alito Took Luxury Fishing Vacation With GOP Billionaire Who Later Had Cases Before the Court
    https://www.propublica.org/article/samuel-alito-luxury-fishing-trip-paul-singer-scotus-supreme-court

Didn't he swear, at risk of perjury, that the evidence he gave at his confirmation hearing was true ?

Notable in light of Justice Alito's WSJ op-ed: during his Senate confirmation hearings, he said he recuses himself when “any possible question might arise.”

He now maintains that accepting private jet flights from a litigant is not grounds for recusal.

https://twitter.com/JustinElliott/status/1671476622371827713

ProPublica asked about Alito’s travel. He replied in the Wall Street Journal.
    Questioned about an undisclosed fishing trip hosted by a GOP billionaire, the Supreme Court justice instead shared his rebuttal in a rival media outlet — before the investigative journalists could publish their scoop
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2023/06/21/alito-wsj-propublica-fishing-trip/
    And folk still wonder who leaked the Dobbs opinion in advance.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,093
    Nigelb said:

Was he singing in his bathtub ?
    He's true but Brexit and the external factors it's created / exasperated are not helping...
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,270

Can you imagine the personal heartache that would cause? Hard working people ruined for life. I don't know the answer, but a couple of million people crushed forever is not politically astute.
    This attitude perhaps goes to the crux of one of our problems as a nation. No American would think that if you overextend yourself financially and things go wrong, you are "ruined for life".
    Indeed and the failure of Fanny Mae, Freddie Mack and Lehman Brothers with no intervention by Bush upset the world order. Your non interventionist ideology is as mad as Corbyn's intervene at any cost.
    I don't have a non-interventionist ideology. I'm just opposed to unnecessary hysteria.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,682
    Andy_JS said:

Not surprised.

"Study drugs make healthy people worse at problem solving, not better
    Users try harder but are less competent"

https://www.economist.com/science-and-technology/2023/06/20/study-drugs-make-healthy-people-worse-at-problem-solving-not-better

Paywalled but my subjective, sorry, my lived experience of taking prescription modafinil is that while it does aid concentration, it narrows focus which may or may not be a good thing. If you like, it keeps you awake but does not stop you getting tired.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Fair point. As of this morning the current Bank of England Base Rate is 4.5%. Where do you see it by October 2024? (the predicted date of the next General Election)
    5.75% minimum...
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,725
    We are fucked, aren’t we? Fucked in a different way to America, but fucked, nonetheless
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

One of them underwrote the national wage bill for a year...
    Furlough was a very different situation which by the way was fully endorsed by all political parties at the time and defended millions of jobs
    Well, if Sunak offered free mortgage subs tomorrow SKS would be hard pressed not to endorse it (or show himself as pro-expelling hard working families into the snow), and it would defend 100s of 000s of households, so I am not seeing the difference.
    He won't and neither will Starmer

Did you not learn anything from the Truss debacle ?
  • Options

Miklosvar said:

Miklosvar said:

ydoethur said:

One of them underwrote the national wage bill for a year...
    Furlough was a very different situation which by the way was fully endorsed by all political parties at the time and defended millions of jobs
    Well, if Sunak offered free mortgage subs tomorrow SKS would be hard pressed not to endorse it (or show himself as pro-expelling hard working families into the snow), and it would defend 100s of 000s of households, so I am not seeing the difference.
    He won't and neither will Starmer

Did you not learn anything from the Truss debacle ?
    It's not my decision.
  • Options

Actually a former member of the Bank of England Committee said on Sophie on Sunday that the financial chaos is rooted in covid and Ukraine and only in part Brexit
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,380
    ydoethur said:

And I would gently suggest that rather than hector me about it, and attribute my understanding of just how bad things to an 'irrational hatred' of Gove, you remember that I am an expert in the field and you are not. Perhaps therefore the reason I disdain Gove is because I understand fully just how badly he messed up and you do not?

I'm sorry if my gentle "pace" felt like hectoring - it was only meant as achnowledgement of your disagreeement. I agree that I know little about his impact on education and you are certainly far more expert. I'm something of an expert in the Defra field, though, and the general view of industry, NGOs and, up to a point, farmers is that he did a good job there. It's not as though I was politically aligned, and he didn't do everything my charity wanted either, but he was proactive and generally effective at achieving positive change.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,266
    Leon said:

We are fucked, aren’t we? Fucked in a different way to America, but fucked, nonetheless

You won!

Get Over It...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I would make a lot of money if I knew that !!!!!!
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,837

Miklosvar said:

SKS monstering Sunak.

Nothing about shirking the bojo vote.

Starmer got monstered by a very impressive Sunak. Not mentioning Sunak's vote failure was a massive error, same goes for Flynn, although he did manage to bring in Brexit as the problem. Rishi handled both very well.

The mortgage issue was batted back as Labour's failure.

Possibly Starmer's worst performance against Sunak and a much improved Sunak. Not least because Starmer was rubbish.
    Starmer links chaotic Conservative government to people being poorer. Can Sunak convince people that correlation doesn't imply causation?

I think very clever from SKS.
  • Options
    eek said:

viewcode said:

5.75% minimum...
    15 months is a long time in finance. It will have got up to there and come down again, by then.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You won!

Get Over It...
    How many problems predate 2016 and how many problems are shared by our peers?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,713
    Pulpstar said:

eek said:

The Government can't do that because it would mean one rules for Home owners (being protected) and 1 rule for renters who are having to pay whatever their landlord is insisting on to cover their higher loan costs.
    If the payments were done on a flat basis of say £1k/house - surely Landlords would pass on the saving because they're "good chaps".
    There's no fair way to do it. I remortgaged last year at a low-ish rate for a long period fixed. I expect I won't get anything as the rate will be pretty low.

On the other hand, I made what seems to be a good decision. So why should I not be supported too?
    (hint, I'm no sure if I should, but it would seem unfair if some people got payouts but not others)

• Options
    eek said:

viewcode said:

5.75% minimum...
    You're just full of cheer aren't you :D
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You won!

Get Over It...
    Brexit is part of this but it’s a whole host of issues - most of them predating Brexit - which are to blame. Plus Covid and the War (both bigger than Brexit in their negative effects)

In the end who cares. We’re fucketty fucked

I particularly like the news that we are now 5 inches shorter than anyone else. It seems superbly apt
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

eek said:

There's no fair way to do it. I remortgaged last year at a low-ish rate for a long period fixed. I expect I won't get anything as the rate will be pretty low.

On the other hand, I made what seems to be a good decision. So why should I not be supported too?
    (hint, I'm no sure if I should, but it would seem unfair if some people got payouts but not others)

The energy price cap punished those who made a good decision (In a round about way) but still - that principle has sailed.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

And I would gently suggest that rather than hector me about it, and attribute my understanding of just how bad things to an 'irrational hatred' of Gove, you remember that I am an expert in the field and you are not. Perhaps therefore the reason I disdain Gove is because I understand fully just how badly he messed up and you do not?

I'm sorry if my gentle "pace" felt like hectoring - it was only meant as achnowledgement of your disagreeement. I agree that I know little about his impact on education and you are certainly far more expert. I'm something of an expert in the Defra field, though, and the general view of industry, NGOs and, up to a point, farmers is that he did a good job there. It's not as though I was politically aligned, and he didn't do everything my charity wanted either, but he was proactive and generally effective at achieving positive change.
    Only fair to note in support of @ydoethur that his primary school colleagues are, if anything, even more scathing about Gove than is he.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,245
    eek said:

viewcode said:

5.75% minimum...
    It will be a lot more if the Government starts to pay people's mortgages for them!

I remain (maybe optimistically given their recent performance) hopeful they won't do this so on that basis broadly concur 5.5 to 6.0%.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

eek said:

viewcode said:

5.75% minimum...
    15 months is a long time in finance. It will have got up to there and come down again, by then.
    That is on the way down - I expect interest rates to hit over 6% before inflation starts dropping.

We are definitely in a world of Stagflation at the moment but nothing is going to fix that without a recession. And even that may not reduce wage inflation...
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,384
    Leon said:

Rejoice, at least the small monkey torturing scene isn't a big thing here.
  • Options
    On a similar theme, I surely cannot be the only one who cut back on energy use in the winter, not because I couldn’t afford to pay (I am fortunate enough to be able to do so) but because it felt like the right thing to do, and therefore basically won some extra cash I didn’t need in the form of the support payments.

There must be quite a few like me which can’t be helping with the cooling of demand the BoE is trying to do.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Think of it like having a baby.
    We decided to have baby seven months before a weird terrorist group blew up all the nursery school buildings and around the same time all forms of nappies were rendered unusable via a bizarre form of intergalactic nappy-attacking laser beam

In retrospect, the timing of Brexit was sub optimal
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,394

Leon said:

No, it's insects and kittens

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/may/19/ukcrime.tonythompson
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,394
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You won!

Get Over It...
    Brexit is part of this but it’s a whole host of issues - most of them predating Brexit - which are to blame. Plus Covid and the War (both bigger than Brexit in their negative effects)

More than a stepmom........
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Leon said:

God. I had drinks with a friend last night and he told me this story. I was unaware. Hideous
  • Options

Actually a former member of the Bank of England Committee said on Sophie on Sunday that the financial chaos is rooted in covid and Ukraine and only in part Brexit
    For you, Lamont and Ridge's guest there are 30 other economic commentators who do blame Brexit.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

We decided to have baby seven months before a weird terrorist group blew up all the nursery school buildings and around the same time all forms of nappies were rendered unusable via a bizarre form of intergalactic nappy-attacking laser beam

The timing, manner, and basic fact of.
    But you're getting the idea.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,542
    edited June 2023

ydoethur said:

Nick - my comment about 'hectoring' wasn't aimed at you! So your apology is nice, but not needed.

I'm sorry if you thought it was...
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

moonshine said:

FF43 said:

Unpopular said:

Jesus Christ.
    Will the last person to leave Britain pls turn out the lights. How on earth could everything go so wrong?

The wage crunch is the worst since 1850 apparently, which is even beyond Big G’s recollection.

Meanwhile, in "another sign that something's not right" news,

Five-year-olds in Britain are on average up to seven centimetres shorter than their peers in other wealthy nations, in a trend described as “pretty startling”.

A poor national diet has been highlighted as a major culprit in Britain’s fall down international rankings of child height...

“It’s quite clear we are falling behind, relative to Europe,” he added. “But it’s telling that at age five, we are looking further behind than we are at age 19, which suggests to me that the last 14 years from age five to 19 has been particularly rough for UK children.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e5538510-0f87-11ee-a92d-cf7c831c99b5?shareToken=99c2af425af7826757d7d2a6a9f07fd3
    I was listening to Will Shirer's diaries (can't quite remember which one) where he describes the opening stages of the Second World War on the Western Front. In it he talks about the state of the British youth, malnourished, rickety, pigeon chested with bad eyesight and remarks that, in contrast to the Germans, the UK had spent the inter-war years neglecting their youth.

Going back to the Boer War, the state of the health of the urban working class was so shocking that even Parliament recognised that it was a serious national security issue.

Our national default is that we love our animals better than our children. When times are good, it's not so much a problem, there's enough to go around but when times are hard then the youth are neglected.
    Go to any poor area and the result of the last decade of Tory spite and meanness is there in front of your eyes, many of the children either too thin or too fat, self evidently not properly nourished. Recall that policies such as the welfare cap and the two child rule are designed specifically to "remind parents that children cost money" ie to make sure that poor parents don't have enough money to raise their children properly. That is government policy. And it is utterly self defeating of course because these children will grow up to be less intelligent, less productive and more sickly adults and the whole country will be poorer.
    The two child rule for welfare is entirely reasonable. Children are a choice to have, and both contraception and abortion are free of charge on the NHS.

If you already have two children, why should the taxpayer pay for a third, fourth, fifth, sixth or more on welfare while those working for a living decide that more kids are unaffordable?
    Kudos for defending the indefensible. Your rationale clarifies just how callous this policy is.
    He’s right on this. A birth rate above the replacement rate is an unaffordable luxury for most of middle England. It’s really only viable for the very wealthy, or those with very low expectations in life who cream the welfare state.
    You are putting "of course child raising is unaffordable" forward as a justification for cutting off welfare payments to children unfortunate enough to be born in unapproved families?
    No, I don't think Child Benefit should be stopped in any families.

And its not stopped for anyone on welfare, nor the working poor who don't get welfare. If its insufficient, then why is that?
    Because child benefit, which is not means tested, doesn't have a 2 child limit, unlike universal credit and working tax credits which actually aim to reduce poverty. So the government can subsidise the children of wealthy families they approve of, who wouldn't qualify for UC or WTC anyway, while punishing the poor families they don't approve of.
    The wealthy don't get child benefit as its taxed past £50k. Indeed that's another distortion in taxes that I oppose, but that's another matter.

So child benefit is a benefit utilised by the working poor who don't get UC or WTC. Yet for some reason you think that should be minimised while giving another benefit elsewhere not aimed at children? Why?

If child benefits are needed for children, then utilise child benefit. That's literally what its there for. If you want to tax those who are wealthy, then tax wealth, or tax income, accordingly - don't take it out on children.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,081
    Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You won!

Get Over It...

I particularly like the news that we are now 5 inches shorter than anyone else. It seems superbly apt
    A nation of homo floriensis with unsustainable mortgage payments and a Philip Schofield comeback to look forward to.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,964
    TOPPING said:

Brace, as Sean would say...

Merryn Somerset Webb
    @MerrynSW
    ·
    36m
    It begins

Lady Maths of the Rugby 🐟💙🇺🇦
    @labourtandt
    ·
    36m
    Replying to @jessphillips
    One of our young neighbours have put reluctantly put their house on the market, they cant afford the rise in their mortgage repayment.

https://twitter.com/MerrynSW/status/1671479254662389760

"Young neighbours" with a house is already quite a good place to be.
    Not any more. Indeed potentially a very bad place to be.

• Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,081

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You won!

Get Over It...
    Doesn’t matter. Brexit is getting the blame. Lol.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

tlg86 said:

It certainly was why we lost the test. Whether Australia would have won it is more debatable.
    The reason we lost was we didn't take the final 2 wickets.

The match went to its final hour, had we not declared in the first innings, we'd have had to declare in the 2nd innings anyway instead in order to have a chance of winning that we had.
  • Options

On a similar theme, I surely cannot be the only one who cut back on energy use in the winter, not because I couldn’t afford to pay (I am fortunate enough to be able to do so) but because it felt like the right thing to do, and therefore basically won some extra cash I didn’t need in the form of the support payments.

There must be quite a few like me which can’t be helping with the cooling of demand the BoE is trying to do.

Why can you not now cut back on usage of stuff generally in exactly the same public spirited manner?
  • Options
    If I appear unusually gloomy, it’s not just the abyss of doom into which Britain is plunging - it’s also the fact I am still getting ruinously annoying Daily Mail notifications. Absolutely nothing - not even erasing chrome and reinstalling - fixes it. They are like cockroaches in a nuclear winter

I thought some of you might appreciate the irony
  • Options

Lehman Brothers failed because it failed, not because of a lack of intervention.

Any intervention then would have stoked the bubble even more, and made the inevitable correction when it inevitably came again even worse, not better.
  • Options
    Leon said:

If I appear unusually gloomy, it’s not just the abyss of doom into which Britain is plunging - it’s also the fact I am still getting ruinously annoying Daily Mail notifications. Absolutely nothing - not even erasing chrome and reinstalling - fixes it. They are like cockroaches in a nuclear winter

No, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.
    You could try shaming them in the Spectator ? Or on Twitter ?
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,466
    Foxy said:

TOPPING said:

Brace, as Sean would say...

Merryn Somerset Webb
    @MerrynSW
    ·
    36m
    It begins

Lady Maths of the Rugby 🐟💙🇺🇦
    @labourtandt
    ·
    36m
    Replying to @jessphillips
    One of our young neighbours have put reluctantly put their house on the market, they cant afford the rise in their mortgage repayment.

https://twitter.com/MerrynSW/status/1671479254662389760

"Young neighbours" with a house is already quite a good place to be.
    Not any more. Indeed potentially a very bad place to be.

Whatever comes you can be sure the young will be in line for the secured tranche of shafting.
  • Options

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

moonshine said:

FF43 said:

Unpopular said:

Jesus Christ.
    Will the last person to leave Britain pls turn out the lights. How on earth could everything go so wrong?

The wage crunch is the worst since 1850 apparently, which is even beyond Big G’s recollection.

Five-year-olds in Britain are on average up to seven centimetres shorter than their peers in other wealthy nations, in a trend described as “pretty startling”.

A poor national diet has been highlighted as a major culprit in Britain’s fall down international rankings of child height...

“It’s quite clear we are falling behind, relative to Europe,” he added. “But it’s telling that at age five, we are looking further behind than we are at age 19, which suggests to me that the last 14 years from age five to 19 has been particularly rough for UK children.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/e5538510-0f87-11ee-a92d-cf7c831c99b5?shareToken=99c2af425af7826757d7d2a6a9f07fd3
    I was listening to Will Shirer's diaries (can't quite remember which one) where he describes the opening stages of the Second World War on the Western Front. In it he talks about the state of the British youth, malnourished, rickety, pigeon chested with bad eyesight and remarks that, in contrast to the Germans, the UK had spent the inter-war years neglecting their youth.

Going back to the Boer War, the state of the health of the urban working class was so shocking that even Parliament recognised that it was a serious national security issue.

Our national default is that we love our animals better than our children. When times are good, it's not so much a problem, there's enough to go around but when times are hard then the youth are neglected.
    Go to any poor area and the result of the last decade of Tory spite and meanness is there in front of your eyes, many of the children either too thin or too fat, self evidently not properly nourished. Recall that policies such as the welfare cap and the two child rule are designed specifically to "remind parents that children cost money" ie to make sure that poor parents don't have enough money to raise their children properly. That is government policy. And it is utterly self defeating of course because these children will grow up to be less intelligent, less productive and more sickly adults and the whole country will be poorer.
    The two child rule for welfare is entirely reasonable. Children are a choice to have, and both contraception and abortion are free of charge on the NHS.

If you already have two children, why should the taxpayer pay for a third, fourth, fifth, sixth or more on welfare while those working for a living decide that more kids are unaffordable?
    Kudos for defending the indefensible. Your rationale clarifies just how callous this policy is.
    He’s right on this. A birth rate above the replacement rate is an unaffordable luxury for most of middle England. It’s really only viable for the very wealthy, or those with very low expectations in life who cream the welfare state.
    You are putting "of course child raising is unaffordable" forward as a justification for cutting off welfare payments to children unfortunate enough to be born in unapproved families?

And its not stopped for anyone on welfare, nor the working poor who don't get welfare. If its insufficient, then why is that?
    Because child benefit, which is not means tested, doesn't have a 2 child limit, unlike universal credit and working tax credits which actually aim to reduce poverty. So the government can subsidise the children of wealthy families they approve of, who wouldn't qualify for UC or WTC anyway, while punishing the poor families they don't approve of.
    The wealthy don't get child benefit as its taxed past £50k. Indeed that's another distortion in taxes that I oppose, but that's another matter.

So child benefit is a benefit utilised by the working poor who don't get UC or WTC. Yet for some reason you think that should be minimised while giving another benefit elsewhere not aimed at children? Why?

If child benefits are needed for children, then utilise child benefit. That's literally what its there for. If you want to tax those who are wealthy, then tax wealth, or tax income, accordingly - don't take it out on children.
    Taking it out on children is precisely what this 2 child policy does. Doesn't matter what you call the benefit, children in poorer families are deliberately penalised for being too many of the wrong kind of children.
  • Options
    TimSTimS Posts: 9,927
    Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You won!

Get Over It...

A nation of homo floriensis with unsustainable mortgage payments and a Philip Schofield comeback to look forward to.
    We can have smaller houses though, with little doors, so that may help to ease the mortgage payments crisis.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Leon said:

Nigelb said:

Leon said:

The timing, manner, and basic fact of.
    But you're getting the idea.
    I am starting to see the conditions in which the rejoin or re-entry into SM/CU debate really kicks off in the next couple of years.

The narrative - we gave it a go but we don’t have the luxury of keeping the experiment going when we could be boosting the economy with FOM/market access…

Prediction - second term Labour manifesto will have *something* in it about closer European alignment. Not sure what yet; but something.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,339

We'll never know. It's perfectly possible that had Brexit not happened and Europe had looked more stable Vlad would have weighed up his options differently. As for COVID - if that chef in Wuhan not been distracted by the footage of Theresa May bumbling about as PM, he may have let his bat stew could that crucial five minutes longer.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    Foxy said:

Perhaps I am being a bit thick here, but surely any subsidy for mortgage holders simply negates the point of putting up interest rates, and sets up further rises.

Apart from being a daft way to spend tax payers money.

Expressed more or less just as Hunt did.
    Probably correct.

But it's a politically fatal problem, so who knows what the government end up doing.
  • Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,797

We'll never know. It's perfectly possible that had Brexit not happened and Europe had looked more stable Vlad would have weighed up his options differently. As for COVID - if that chef in Wuhan not been distracted by the footage of Theresa May bumbling about as PM, he may have let his bat stew could that crucial five minutes longer.
    I don't think there's much of a scientific basis for blaming Theresa May for Covid, but she's a bit of an arse so I'm going to support the theory.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,466
    Leon said:

Think of each notification as a penance for when you take the Rothermere coin.
  • Options

For you, Lamont and Ridge's guest there are 30 other economic commentators who do blame Brexit.
    He did reference Brexit but covid and the war in Ukraine are the main drivers
  • Options
    FF43 said:

FF43 said:

FF43 said:

moonshine said:

FF43 said:

Unpopular said:

Jesus Christ.

Taking it out on children is precisely what this 2 child policy does. Doesn't matter what you call the benefit, children in poorer families are deliberately penalised for being too many of the wrong kind of children.
    No, they're not, since they still get child benefit, just as poor working parents get.

If UC is meant to be an insurance for wages, then it makes no sense to include children in the mix, since wages aren't set based on how many children an employee has.

Why should a working family who are poor and don't get welfare get less support for their third and fourth etc children than those who are poor and do?

If support for children is needed, then that's what child benefit is for.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Your first mistake was visiting their site in the first place
    Your second mistake was having fat fingers and pressing Allow instead of Oh God No Fuck Right Off
    Your third mistake is assuming we prefer manic Leon to gloomy Leon
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Perhaps I am being a bit thick here, but surely any subsidy for mortgage holders simply negates the point of putting up interest rates, and sets up further rises.

Yes, but you don't have to convince us, you have to convince an electorate which perceives the role of govt in general and Rishi in particular as being to Help Out.

Bear in mind most people do not understand what inflation is. They think halving it from 10% to 5% means prices coming down by 5 or for all I know 50, %.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,339
    Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

Settings->Privacy and Security->Site Settings
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Leon said:

Your second mistake was having fat fingers and pressing Allow instead of Oh God No Fuck Right Off
    And fourthly, I am the Cardinal-Archbishop of Bogota.
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,262
    edited June 2023
    Leon said:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/3220216
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

You are? How is one to address you?
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,463
    edited June 2023

Leon said:

That was the bleakest of reads even (thank god) without all of the gory details. Sort of knowledge that leaves you poorer for having gained it.
  • Options

I agree. Perhaps 20% of 30% of the current cost of living increases are due to Brexit. You might say it was a mistake to vote for something with a similar effect to the worst pandemic of recent times and the first full scale war in Europe in 80 years.
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 40,072
    edited June 2023
    148grss said:

ydoethur said:

The issue is successive governments since Thatcher have hoodwinked generations of workers into believing they are better off because their house has gained in value even if their wages didn't rise, so they only way in the UK to actually get wealthier is to keep climbing up the chain of properties, swinging from one mortgage to the next, in the hope that one day you own a house that you can then downsize from, creating liquidity with every swing down to smaller and smaller properties, giving the capital injection to secure you in your old age. This was sold to me as the only way to live from a pretty young age - get on the property ladder, get a job, get married and have kids, you're a success if you do all that before 30. Well, lots of people now can't do that, and no other solution has been presented; and those who did do that were typically those who came from somewhat well off backgrounds but not excessively privileged ones, so if it stops working you have a bourgeoise revolt. I think one of the things we can see from how quickly Truss' fell is that a decade of Conservatives making most people poorer was fine until it hit the class of people who write, edit and produce the news and politics - that upper middle class who probably have a mortgage they can only just afford but it is an important stepping stone. Fuck them over too much and, politically, you are really in trouble.

Cameron put those people in alliance with OAPs and social moderates / economic conservatives. May upset the OAPs, and didn't replace them, Johnson upset the social moderates, but replaced them with some working class social conservatives and got back OAPs, and Truss lost everyone. Sunak has done a bit better with OAPs and the social moderates (although I think the culture war stuff will lose them), and the culture war stuff doesn't seem to be enough to keep working class social conservatives (who feel the economic pain more acutely), so the last group left to try to appeal too will be bourgeoise mortgage holders.
    Before Thatcher even, perhaps. Memories of being a youngster c. 1980 having the Property Ladder explained clearly but emphatically to me, with appropriate hand gestures, left and right hands moving up alternately, by the very middle class father of a friend: that father and mother used to spend much of their time buying a new house to live in, doing it up, and moving on and upwards. Now?

Also your comment reminds me oif a railway historian observing that the railways which used to get most stick included the lines out of Blackfriars and so on. Because those were the commuter routes out to SE London/Kent where lots of Fleet Street journos had their 1920s and 1930s semi.
  • Options
    CorrectHorseBatCorrectHorseBat Posts: 1,761
    Little Rishi should call a GE.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I agree. Perhaps 20% of 30% of the current cost of living increases are due to Brexit. You might say it was a mistake to vote for something with a similar effect to the worst pandemic of recent times and the first full scale war in Europe in 80 years.
    Do you honestly think the effect of Brexit is similar to the pandemic?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Foxy said:

Expressed more or less just as Hunt did.
    Probably correct.

But it's a politically fatal problem, so who knows what the government end up doing.
    Yes, and this was also the issue with the Truss knee-jerk energy policy last autumn.

Without giving Truss credit (because she deserves none) her instinct around energy bill support expressed during the campaign was probably right. The fact she got bounced into providing universal assistance probably a fear of missing out on a honeymoon (hilarious in hindsight) and presiding over a terrible winter. In actuality, targeted support was probably the right way to deal with it, rather than a universal bung.

But the government doesn’t know what it’s doing anymore, and the Tory Party is absolutely petrified it is staring down the barrel of a cataclysm in 2024. It is desperate to shore up any support it can get; so throwing money at the problem to give it a reprieve from the immediate crisis starts to look appealing.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Miklosvar said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

A George Brown, later George-Brown, gag.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    148grss said:

I'm not an economist, but I have a few friends who are (one did an actuarial degree and that never made sense to me) and they are big MMT proponents. From my limited understanding, their argument for how to deal with current inflation is just wealth redistribution - that taxes are not about "balancing the books" but instead to keep money flowing in the system, and the easiest way to do that would be to take it from the piles of money hoarded by the rich and give it to the poor who will spend it immediately on goods they need - this reduces excess profit seeking (because what's the point of too much profit if the gov is going to just take it away anyway) and solves any crisis in spending power for lower earners. It also stimulates growth - again, if you give poor people a pound they will spend it, if you give a rich person a pound it will sit and accrue interest because it will likely just be invested in inflated assets (housing and stocks). Outside of a moral argument (protestant work ethic people saying people should earn their money need not apply), is this viable economics?

It’s only viable economics, if one defines ‘rich’ a lot lower on the income scale than most politicians can get away with. One might also argue that this is exactly what’s in place already with the 40% tax bracket, many of whom, especially in areas of expensive housing, don’t think of themselves as particularly well-off.

If you try and define ‘rich’ as the top 1%, and expect to be able to extract healthy amounts of tax from them, then you run into international mobility, and willingness to forego economic activity in favour of more leisure time. The only members of the 1% who can’t do an awful lot of tax planning, are Premier League footballers.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,861
    So when the economy implodes and inflation is low and growth is poor causing a recession, the poor have to shoulder the burden via austerity.

When the economy implodes and inflation is high, the Bank of England should CAUSE a recession, forcing the poor to have less purchasing power and less job security, shouldering the burden anyway.

Why do we have this economic system? Like, it isn't a force of nature, we designed things this way - why is it talked about as if these aren't political decisions to allow rich people to stay rich and poor people to get poorer? It's obscene...
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Perhaps 0.2% to 0.3% of the current cost of living increases are due to Brexit.

The pandemic is perhaps about 49.9% and the war in Ukraine is about 49.9%
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You won!

Get Over It...
    The EU was blamed for everything until 2016
    Brexit will be blamed for everything after 2016

A certain justice in that
  • Options

Little Rishi should call a GE.

He has to hang on now hoping it will get visibly better after getting worse. Won't work.
  • Options

Lehman Brothers failed because it failed, not because of a lack of intervention.

Any intervention then would have stoked the bubble even more, and made the inevitable correction when it inevitably came again even worse, not better.
    RBS failed and it was bailed out. I accept you disagreed with this at the time, but Brown by saving RBS saved an awful lot more heartache than we saw.
  • Options
    TimS said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You won!

Get Over It...

We can have smaller houses though, with little doors, so that may help to ease the mortgage payments crisis.
    We already have the smaller houses. Some of which are knowingly designed to be too small for Homo sapiens. Especially in the southern Shires.

(Some of the bedrooms need special small beds to look good for estate agency photos. Which reminds me that for many years Mrs C and I had an inherited narrow double bed Scots style, designed to fit into a bed recess in the typical Victorian tenement flat. But that was just cosy. Those EA beds - you couldn't get ****ing Frodo and Bilbo in at the same time.)
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You won!

Get Over It...

That's a false equivalence. The EU was a bogeyman; Brexit is a scapegoat.
  • Options

RBS failed and it was bailed out. I accept you disagreed with this at the time, but Brown by saving RBS saved an awful lot more heartache than we saw.
    While causing a lot more heartache that was entirely unnecessary.

People act as if every failed business can be saved and never allowed to die. If you do that, you just end up with an economy of zombie businesses that have failed but are getting kept alive by taxpayers and the problems are never rectified as you're not letting them just die.
  • Options
    Miklosvar said:

Farooq said:

Miklosvar said:

Farooq said:

Leon said:

A George Brown, later George-Brown, gag.
    Probably apocryphal, but one of my favourite political tales.
  • Options

FF43 said:

I rather suspect your figures, not least because we haven't even Brexited properly in terms of customs and all that. Rememnber that £43 Gov ernment levy on every single consignment coming from furrin lands aka rEurope - it hasn't kicked in yet. No skin off a Sainsbury 40 tonner of Polish chicken, but one and one's customers are ****ed for small consignments such as car spares.

• Options

FF43 said:

Yes, and before your damascene conversion so would you.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 50,024
    edited June 2023
    Carnyx said:

TimS said:

Dura_Ace said:

Leon said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You won!

Get Over It...

We already have the smaller houses. Some of which are knowingly designed to be too small for Homo sapiens. Especially in the southern Shires.

(Some of the bedrooms need special small beds to look good for estate agency photos. Which reminds me that for many years Mrs C and I had an inherited narrow double bed Scots style, designed to fit into a bed recess in the typical Victorian tenement flat. But that was just cosy. Those EA beds - you couldn't get ****ing Frodo and Bilbo in at the same time.)
    If you want to really annoy an estate agent, measure your key pieces of furniture, and turn up with a tape measure at the viewing, to measure the pieces of furniture in the house you’re looking at. Yes, they have a ‘double bed’ made, that’s 3” shorter and 3” narrower than yours, especially for new development show houses.
  • Options

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You won!

Get Over It...

Tenses, tenses. Bogeymen are dead scapegoats.
  • Options
    148grss148grss Posts: 3,861
    Sandpit said:

148grss said:

I'm not an economist, but I have a few friends who are (one did an actuarial degree and that never made sense to me) and they are big MMT proponents. From my limited understanding, their argument for how to deal with current inflation is just wealth redistribution - that taxes are not about "balancing the books" but instead to keep money flowing in the system, and the easiest way to do that would be to take it from the piles of money hoarded by the rich and give it to the poor who will spend it immediately on goods they need - this reduces excess profit seeking (because what's the point of too much profit if the gov is going to just take it away anyway) and solves any crisis in spending power for lower earners. It also stimulates growth - again, if you give poor people a pound they will spend it, if you give a rich person a pound it will sit and accrue interest because it will likely just be invested in inflated assets (housing and stocks). Outside of a moral argument (protestant work ethic people saying people should earn their money need not apply), is this viable economics?

It’s only viable economics, if one defines ‘rich’ a lot lower on the income scale than most politicians can get away with. One might also argue that this is exactly what’s in place already with the 40% tax bracket, many of whom, especially in areas of expensive housing, don’t think of themselves as particularly well-off.

If you try and define ‘rich’ as the top 1%, and expect to be able to extract healthy amounts of tax from them, then you run into international mobility, and willingness to forego economic activity in favour of more leisure time. The only members of the 1% who can’t do an awful lot of tax planning, are Premier League footballers.
    Isn't £80k a year like the top 5% of earners? Sure, they may not be super wealthy, but having functioning infrastructure benefits them. And aren't most of the worst tax loopholes in territories the UK kinda controls anyway?

I just don't understand how, if you want to create any kind of illusion of capitalist democracy being anything other than wealth extraction from the labouring classes to the already wealthy, you can justify this? Sure - the USSR doesn't exist anymore, history ended, capitalists don't feel the need to give scraps to social safety nets for fear of unionisation or mass revolt as they won the war of hegemony. But, just as a survival instinct, this level of inequality and constant disruption is not good for elites either! At some point civil society will break, and you can't feed yourself on cash if no one plants or harvests the food - or if the fields are fallow because of drought or flood...

I do not understand rich people, or those who point at "the market" like it is anything other than just the decisions and impacts of the decisions made by rich people...
  • Options

FF43 said:

Then you're delusional.

I wonder what kind of Brexit Sweden underwent to currently have 9.7% inflation?
  • Options
    edited June 2023

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

I've tried EVERYTHING - but thanks
  • Options
    edited June 2023

FF43 said:

The US has Covid but not Ukraine as a material factor - inflation 4%
    The EU has Covid & Ukraine but not Brexit as a material factor - inflation 6.1%
    The UK has all - inflation 8.1%
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,187

FF43 said:

You seem, uncharacteristically, to have lost your sense of proportion

• Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

I take it you've tried:

I've tried EVERYTHING - but thanks
    So you've tried formatting your PC back to factory settings and clean installing your browsers? 🤔
  • Options

FF43 said:

I'm talking economic effects on the UK. The war in Ukraine is obviously having a much bigger economic effect on Ukraine itself. The pandemic had a big immediate effect obviously, but that's winding down somewhat now. Brexit continues an incremental effect.
  • Options
    148grss said:

So when the economy implodes and inflation is low and growth is poor causing a recession, the poor have to shoulder the burden via austerity.

When the economy implodes and inflation is high, the Bank of England should CAUSE a recession, forcing the poor to have less purchasing power and less job security, shouldering the burden anyway.

Why do we have this economic system? Like, it isn't a force of nature, we designed things this way - why is it talked about as if these aren't political decisions to allow rich people to stay rich and poor people to get poorer? It's obscene...

Because the system, if it is working properly, is the least worst option.

By working properly, I mean that there is support to allow those at the bottom to climb up the ladder, and protections in place to stop abuses from occurring at the top.

At the moment, it is hard to say that our system in the UK is working as well as it could be…. For a myriad of reasons I would blame on successive governments of all colours.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Dura_Ace said:

Scott_xP said:

Leon said:

You won!

Get Over It...

Tenses, tenses. Bogeymen are dead scapegoats.
    No, there's a qualitative difference between the way that obsessive Eurosceptics saw creeping federalism as a threat to be opposed and the way that obsessive Remainers see Brexit as the cause of literally everything that is wrong with the world.
This discussion has been closed.